Topic: A Little Bit of Freelance: Election 2012

Darien Fenner

Date: 2012-06-11 23:08 EST
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/dfenner_photo/6264346944a710cfe80dc5.jpg Senior Columnist and Investigative Journalist: Darien Fenner

A Little Bit of Freelance: Election 2012 June 11, 2012

It is Election 2012, and something feels like it is missing.

Could it be no candidacy of Corlanthis Wystansayr this year" No Matt Simon' No Sheridan Driscol" No electoral head butting" No presence of a certain newspaper or its columns" No screaming matches or extravagant scenes during the debate?

Regardless of where the money comes from, words are cheap, and RhyDin's politicians know that very well. While already common knowledge, this point was only cemented following a string of interviews funded by a third party before Sunday and a debate hosted by none other than Dominion Exports glib green goblin Dib Jaster Aurene, who apparently was too late to fit his knobby foot into a glass slipper to ask questions on RhyDin's familiar issues like slavery, healthcare, or business. That doesn't mean this year's candidates haven't visited these subjects, though, and that is precisely what this commentary is for.

Elections close June 17.

Darien Fenner

Date: 2012-06-11 23:15 EST
Aristotle Kruger Allen

They don't call him The Anvil for nothing; there is one thing that can be said about Allen that is making him a noteworthy candidate this election: the man has serious balls. He proved as much in his opening statement during the debate on Sunday.

"It is very simple folks. Don't vote for me if you happen to be satisfied with how things are, if you believe that all is correct in this city. Don't vote for me if you believe that hard work and a dedication to you the people is not what is necessary for the office. Because obviously things are perfect, and all is right in RhyDin. My absolute compliments to the current governor for keeping all the people happy."

Excuse the poor language, but in RhyDin there doesn't seem to be an equivalent politically correct term for that kind of audacity. Kruger "The Anvil" Allen has made his mark in 2012 by putting forward some pretty outrageous concepts and statements. Whether these utterances are testament to his actual position or he is simply trying to put his foot in the door, he has certainly grabbed our attention with oaths of uncompromising, even authoritarian vigilance in surveillance and maintenance of RhyDin city.

"Where we speak of defense of the city' a leader who is indulgent, but not able to make their authority felt, kind hearted yet not able enforce their commands, and incapable of quelling disorder....That leader's forces are as spoiled children."

Much to RhyDin's chagrin, in place of the usual topics of previous years has been an overwhelming focus on local and interdimensional defense for a variety of reasons " the most recent of which being the transitory fugitive manifestation of organized crime, a problem Allen was quick to hammer hard.

"It seems to me that the way to deal with something organized is to first discover who organized it, and then shut them down."

How would he shut them down, exactly' It comes as no surprise that a man who spends his days bending swords would approach political and military solutions with anything but force:

"The Naval Guard failed because the current government rightly refused to impose upon civil liberties....I am not saying a lack of heavy handedness is a shortcoming, until it fails to defend us."

Points to Allen for being unafraid to put his foot down. Granted, the high-handed methodology may not be exactly what RhyDin wants to hear, but perhaps she has garnered enough guts to actually figure out what she really wants.

Unafraid to speak his mind though he is, beyond the subject of defense Allen's logic just about ends. Like Matt Simon he has a tendency to talk in circles, but unlike Matt Simon, his arguments make little sense. Regarding the matter of education brought up during the debate, for example, Allen had this much to say:

"I pose that if the well of knowledge is found lacking then it is up to the community and its leaders to dig a new well - Newer books, stiffer restrictions on teachers, and plans that will address every education level and ability."

Restrictions on what, exactly' He didn't explain, and interestingly enough no one asked him to. Perhaps everyone was still getting over the shock of Sheridan Driscol's unsightly presence at a political function " after all, it was the most attention he's paid to RhyDin since before he was governor.

On interdimensional defense, however, Allen also had this to add:

"I was simply taking the natural progression of relying too heavily on outside sources" That is the step, just before importing their ruler - giving up your religion and forfeiting your rights. Then whose hammer do we need to worry about?"

Dope is a gateway drug! Gay marriage leads to bestiality! Oh, wait; this is RhyDin, not Earth. But be wary, for according to Allen's logic it seems a totalitarian regime of law-enforcing monks from a dimension next door will soon invade and overtake us all.

"I am not part of a political party whose platform must be run on and adhered to. I'm going to do what I claim to do. I am here not to spring from bridges that have already been built, I am here to strengthen those that are solid and fix those that have been burned by others if possible. If that fails, I will build anew."

Ding ding ding! And the Matt Simon award for ambiguity this year goes to Kruger Allen, by the widest margin on this side of the multiverse. It almost makes one wax nostalgic for some old-fashioned R.A.S.G. ramble. Almost.

"What I can give is my dedication and devotion to making some serious changes for the good of all in this city and not faltering from that' New policies are a means to cut away that which fails without the ability to recover."

Driscol had his cheesy "roots" hook, which to this day conveniently brings the old bard back to mind whenever you think of weed. But what has Kruger left us with' A bunch of multi-dimensional bridges" Matchsticks" A boat that is sailing around in circles" I can already hear the children sing some strange version of "Kruger's Bridge is Falling Down." But don't worry; he'll repair it. We think.

All in all, Kruger seems like an unnatural evolution of Matt Simon. He has the standing of some kind of military officer with high hopes for RhyDin. But beyond that, those hopes seem to border on imperialism, and realistically there is no romantic way to spin that. Could that attitude benefit RhyDin" To a small extent, perhaps; crime is a longstanding problem that the city will never fully shake until its citizens commit " either by picking up pitchforks and joining the boys in blue (or plaid; whatever Horne has decided to make the new Watch uniforms) or by surrendering a right or two for the illusion of safety. Yes, the attitude alone could benefit RhyDin. But, honestly, could Kruger Allen?

You decide.

Darien Fenner

Date: 2012-06-11 23:19 EST
Audrey Horne

Perhaps there is something to be said about an electoral candidate who is too ill with the flu to show up for her own debate, but for integrity's sake we will presume that all was for good reason. Conspiracy theorists might even submit that Audrey Horne's abject absence Sunday night might well have been a political ploy, and farfetched as that may sound given the kind of campaigning she's done, it may not be far from the truth. Where Horne is typically absentminded and imprecise in her formal political position, the spokeswoman she sent in her stead on Sunday " as luck would have it, her wife Magenta " managed to explicate and develop that position just a little bit more, if only to make it infinitesimally more concrete.

"I'm a little bit younger," Audrey said in an interview last week. "But that just means I have a different perspective, I guess. I've thrived in several different cultures. I know how much it blows to wind up here unaware, but I also know how quickly a person can fall in love with this place."

Glad to know that while the electoral candidate is fewer in years, she is further from experience. The extent of her platform was as much:

"I think I can do better. I'm a fresh mind and I watch people. I don't mean creeper watching, but I do pay attention to the people around me. I hear their disappointments and their grief and their happiness. I will listen to everyone, sir, if they have a problem and I'll encourage them to listen to their fellow citizens. I have a different set of eyes, I notice different things. I know without a shadow of a doubt that I could take this position by the horns and spin it around."

And that seems to be the bulk of Horne's design for office: encouragement. This is nothing to thumb your nose at, of course; Koyliak VanDuran-Simon when on RhyDin's Council of Ministers launched the spectacular Welcome Center with a sentiment not unlike such a one. But how far will encouragement really get you in a place like RhyDin, where simple issues such as local policing mean the difference between life and death"

"Audrey has pledged to bring the Watch up to snuff with mandatory training courses, and to establish separate, more rigorous training to increase the number and caliber of its offices. In times of crisis she would also establish protocols to allow the efficient deputization of RhyDin citizens, who often come to the fore when needed."

Swing and a miss. What with the R.A.S.G. and standard ground forces, in 2008 and 2009 Matt Simon did just about all there was to do with the RhyDin Watch to make it slightly more useful:

"If you take existing personnel and make them more efficient, then you don't need to necessarily add more people or create a new bureaucracy."

And he had a point. We have revisited the possibility of revamping the RhyDin Watch training programs time and again, and each successive year the outcome is met with overwhelming futility. This topic is one that doesn't have a ready solution, and that is precisely why the incessant regurgitation of old ideas just won't cut it.

Where Horne has shined, however, is in her " or her wife's " position on education:

"RhyDin is full of entrepreneurs, and where there is a need there is a market. Education is no different, but a society that won't invest in its children will not be remembered by them kindly."

Far from the usual fluff of opening new schools or giving local ones new funding, Horne's spokeswoman seems to have nailed the essence of RhyDin on the head: Supply and demand. Our economy isn't booming, but it never cripples either. And why' Because as long as someone wants to have a beer in the market, there will be someone else who wants to start a brewery in the market. The city of RhyDin is personified in that way; if there is something within reason its citizens want, it will create it for them. It is not always by neighborly means, of course, and that is something Horne expects to change with a few pieces of paper.

"PSA's, events, fliers. Nailing signs to trees if that's what it takes" could be encouraged. Just give people a push in the right direction, remind them that the person bleeding on the floor of the inn could just as easily be them."

Why does this image suddenly evoke memories of Taneth's "Hugs for RhyDin" campaign" Under normal circumstances the thought of verbal and written encouragement might count, but RhyDin citizens have proved on more than one occasion that if they have no interest, then it may as well be a lost cause. Perhaps that is exactly what Horne is getting at " spiking interest enough to provoke some kind of change in universal apathy. But then again, littering RhyDin's streets with technicolor leaflets may not be the best way to achieve that.

Ultimately Audrey Horne's campaign seems to be the obligatory fluff-and-glitter option that nearly every year brings. She certainly has some nice sentiments, but for someone who has lived in RhyDin and is raising a family here, she has exhibited a surprising amount of naivet' that the other candidates have long outgrown. They can see RhyDin past the trees and bloodstains. Can she?

Darien Fenner

Date: 2012-06-11 23:24 EST
Fionna Helston al Amat

If there were a list of accomplishments made by previous governors, Helston al Amat's column would no doubt be remarkably longer than her predecessors. The current governor, now gunning for reelection, has a number of achievements to her name: The RhyDin calendar, the GAC, the Governor's Service Medal Program, and the Small Business Relief Fund, just to name a few. And indeed, she does seem to have taken a more hands-on approach to governing, going so far as engaging herself in RhyDin dueling to get a better grasp of that population's mentality. But how much weight can accomplishments like these actually carry in the grand scheme of things" In 2011, Helston al Amat came forward with a promise "to provide opportunities for us to come together to solve the challenges that face us all." What challenges has she solved"

One so far, though heavily scrutinized by the RhyDin public, seems to be the communication between RhyDin's government and its people - namely through the use of the the Governor's Advisory Council.

"The GAC has been a success," Helston al Amat said. "I believe it proves that a collaborative government is effective, and that the governor must be intimately involved in the management and direction of the government."

Indeed, the GAC " comprised of gossip writers, billionaires, business owners and vigilantes " has submitted valuable input on more than one issue to the governor, unearthing a foreign idea of democracy that RhyDin has for a long time craved. But for as useful as those monthly meetings are, one has to wonder whether Helston al Amat doesn't get overwhelmed with so many differing opinions and frivolous ideas that she loses track of which ones are actually important. Case in point: The RhyDin Navy.

Rumors widely circulated that the dismal failure of the RhyDin Navy would come back to bite Helston al Amat in the bottom, and it already has. It may have been the only useful thing he did (or that he is remembered for), but Matt Simon was able to bolster the Watch and R.A.S.G., securing the skies and space around RhyDin in one term. What was her excuse for failing to patrol RhyDin waters"

"When you have no volunteers for a volunteer force, you have two choices. Abandon the plan or invest a vast amount of time, energy and money into it anyway. The naval guard was an idea the city wasn't ready for yet. When it is, the project can be resurrected."

Admittedly of all the projects Helston al Amat managed to launch the RhyDin Navy was doubtlessly the most colossal. And yet the mere fact that the project's design - a very good one, in terms of economic and occupational standards " was abandoned almost immediately creates an atmosphere of defeat. RhyDin isn't asking her to bear the whole of RhyDin's problems squarely on her shoulders, but is it too much to ask that a little less time be spent giving out shiny medals, and a little more be spent paying attention to our borders and inside our city' What about inner-city crime"

Indeed, where Allen's voice booms with strict promises of ironclad defense and marches "into hell," Helston Al Amat certainly had some points docked for her dismissive outlook on organized crime:

"I find it sadly funny that Mr. Allen has characterized one group of criminals who we have not heard form in a good nine months as 'an influx of organized crime groups.?"

Granted this opinion is for the most part correct, but it also negates the possibility of any future threat from this group. While some will argue that Allen's threat to shut these groups down tastes of paranoia (which may not be far from the truth), his position still enforces a mild feeling of security compared with Helston Al Amat's apparent policy of sticking her head in the dirt. After all, if she can't see it, the threat can't possibly be there.

Healthcare - even following the RBF outbreak this past year - seems to be far from RhyDin's mind, but that does not mean RhyDin's clinics need default on aid. Slavery isn't an issue on this year's ballot, but that does not mean Anubis Karos is not perpetually waving a collar at duelists ringside. Her accomplishments are impressive, no doubt, but there are currently a multitude of complex issues RhyDin is constantly dealing with, and all the while Helston Al Amat is giving off the impression that unless they do not make the GAC agenda, they do not matter.

In the end it remains RhyDin's prerogative to decide whether things like this do matter, and from there decide which candidate will do something about it.

The ball is in your court, RhyDin. What matters to you"

Darien Fenner

Date: 2012-06-11 23:26 EST
Fenner: Let's get this over with and get you back to campaigning, shall we" For the record, would you mind stating your name for the record"

Allen: My Name is Aristotle Kruger Allen. Surely this isn't what you want to know though.

Fenner: We'll get to that, Mr. Allen, but first I need to ensure that RhyDin knows exactly who you are. When did you first arrive in RhyDin"

Allen: You could say I was born here, but I wasn't raised here. I first took up permanent residence around twenty years ago. Don't do the math on how old I would have been then. I have for one reason and another taken my leave of the city, but I always return. This is my home" May I call you Darien"

Fenner: If you must. So you haven't spent the entirety of your life here, but it sounds as though you have been spending a much longer time here as of late. Whereabouts do you live in RhyDin"

Allen: Currently I am staying at Belglade, an old estate north of the city. It is in disrepair, but she is being restored to her former grace.

Fenner: Do you have a business here"

Allen: I run a shop, Kruger's Exotic Weapons Armor, and Leather. It is doing very well. I used to be a partner in a different place, but it was burned down in the riots back before the turn of the century' Do you remember those, Darien"

Fenner: RhyDin has been through its fair share of riots.

Allen: This would be when a group calling themselves Neoists were growing and threatening any who were not purely human....A lot of non-human businesses were burned then.

Fenner: Ah, those. So those incidents affected you in a significant way"

Allen: Aside from the loss of the forge, my best friend and partner was killed. I still look up and expect to see him coming through the door with that grumpy demeanor, though he had the softest heart.

Fenner: I am sorry for your loss. But I digress. Clearly you have business experience. But what about political experience"

Allen: I have more experience with politicians than the politics they trade in.

Fenner: Would you care to expand on that"

Allen: There are those on the council that I call friends. Others I have had opportunity to work with on a project or two. Are you asking me to give names" I don't exactly expect my personal familiarity will sway their votes, I would lose respect for them if they voted for me just because of friendship.

Fenner: I am a journalist, Mr. Allen. I understand the gravity of source confidentiality. So I'll move on. This is something I've asked all the candidates: What do you think is RhyDin's most pressing issue right now"

Allen: To be quite honest Darien, I believe there is a great deal of confusion within the hearts and minds of the citizens of RhyDin. The Naval Guard failed because the current government rightly refused to impose upon civil liberties. There is not one entity that should be treated differently, regardless if they are a slave or a Lady of Court. RhyDin is not made up of one governing law for the good of its citizens, but more of a biased opinion and action, dependent on who you are or how deep your pockets are. That is an injustice for everyone. I'm sure you understand Darien. Who was it that wrote Terrans are "considered a borderline minority and command relatively small influence in RhyDin politics?" Wait, that was you, right"

Fenner: I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Are trying to say Fio's lack of heavy-handedness is a shortcoming"

Allen: Where we speak of defense of the city Darien, a leader who is indulgent, but not able to make their authority felt, kind hearted yet not able enforce their commands...and incapable of quelling disorder...That leader's forces are as spoiled children. I am not saying a lack of heavy handedness is a shortcoming, until it fails to defend us.

Fenner: So you do think Fio's term has its flaws.

Allen: Is that a question or are you paraphrasing"

Fenner: Let me rephrase, then. You seem to be suggesting that Fio should have been focusing her attention on a stricter kind of military. Am I correct"

Allen: I'm saying that perhaps she needed to stop asking for volunteers, and start leading us into battle. I have and will again defend this city from any threat. I would have followed a strong leader into the depths of hell.

Fenner: Remind me: Why are we marching into hell, exactly"

Allen: The current situation probably won't call for it, but I suppose that depends on your definition of hell. I mean that if you love your leader and respect him or her that you follow them wherever they lead.

Fenner: Well you've already hinted at your opinion of Fio, but what is your opinion of the other candidates or their platforms"

Allen: This is a political debate; I think each have their own issues, points and devices. My opinion is "to each their own". However, I love their shoes....couldn't see them well till they stood on the platforms. But I digress.

Fenner: I am not certain what to make of that response, but as you say, "to each his own." So I'll move along. What is your platform' What is it that makes you different from the other candidates"

Allen: I am not part of a political party whose platform must be run on and adhered to. I'm going to do what I claim to do. I am here not to spring from bridges that have already been built, I am here to strengthen those that are solid and fix those that have been burned by others if possible. If that fails, I will build anew.

Fenner: Let me try to wrap my head around this metaphor; do you mean to say you are not going to institute any new policies in RhyDin politics"

Allen: I'll try to be clear, the policies already in place either function, or they don't. Where they function, I will make them better, stronger. Where they need improvements that to will come. New policies are a means to cut away that which fails without the ability to recover.

Fenner: What kinds of policies are we talking about exactly' Which are ones that you do agree with and hope to bolster"

Allen: I'll give you a few examples of policies that I agree with. The formation of an advisory council was an act that showed great wisdom. No one should have to shoulder the burden of leadership alone. The small business relief fund, I believe in that one so much that I have helped to arrange an event designed to promote it, and the businesses it is meant to help. Finally, there are the service medals; it is good to recognize those who give service.

Fenner: What do you think you can offer RhyDin that no one else can'

Allen: It's not what I can offer. An offering is something that is not solid, is not fact and does not bear an outcome. What I can give is my dedication and devotion to making some serious changes for the good of all in this city and not faltering from that.

Fenner: Last year RhyDin citizens faced a very serious outbreak of RBF that resulted in a panic and fear of medication shortage. What sort of actions would you have taken during the outbreak of RhyDin Benghu Fever"

Allen: First and foremost, called a Citizen Town Meeting in the Square, urging everyone to gather together. I would have then spoken to the populace as a whole, assuring them that we were doing everything we possibly could do, right down to a medical command center, emergency services bureau and a solid inventory count of the medicines used to treat RBF. We cannot have panic in the streets like that again. How many deaths were not reported" The homeless were forgotten and left in the proper and harbor district. They have to have someone they can rely on that they know will be thinking of them and them alone during the time of need and beyond. Someone they can trust and will have faith that they will be taking care of them.

Fenner: What is your position on vigilantism vs. the RhyDin Watch'

Allen: Vigilantism will exist in every city, every world there possibly is. There is no sure fire way to rid it one-hundred percent I urge any vigilantes, whether they are a part of a group or only themselves, to please work with the Watch even if that is done anonymously. An eye for an eye does not always equal an eye, or a means to an end.

Fenner: What steps will you take to promote solidarity in RhyDin"

Allen: By bringing it back to the community and the people as a whole. We lost that somewhere along the line and it's about damned time it stopped. We are here, we must learn to co-exist together or continue the chaos.

Fenner: What is your position on a running mate or a council of some kind"

Allen: Darien, there are a lot of great minds out there with the good of the community at heart. This city can't be run by just one voice or opinion. I do not believe that my way is the only way, I will need those great minds around me.

Fenner: And lastly, I have only one more thing to ask: You have mentioned making 'serious changes for the good of this city." Exactly what changes do you believe you can bring to office"

Allen: The office and I must grow together. What benefits are taken by it from me is indeterminable. My voice will always be for the people though.

Darien Fenner

Date: 2012-06-11 23:27 EST
Fenner: Thanks for coming, Mrs. Horne. As I understand it, this is your first time running for office so RhyDin would like to get to know you a little more. Would you mind giving us your full name and occupation"

Horne: And thank you, Mr. Fenner. I'm Audrey Horne and a run a small cleaning business.

Fenner: How long have you lived in RhyDin"

Horne: I've lived in RhyDin for two years this coming Monday.

Fenner: And where did you live before that"

Horne: I lived in a small, humble town in Washington called Twin Peaks.

Fenner: What motivated you to come to RhyDin in the first place"

Horne: Well, like quite a few of RhyDin's citizens, I ended up here by accident and, truth be told, with a bang.

Fenner: Do you find you like it here more than Washington"

Horne: Yeah, I mean it's my home now. My friends and family are here.

Fenner: Is there anything about RhyDin that you particularly dislike"

Horne: Quite a few things, actually, but no place is perfect. I think it's a very confusing place that takes getting used to, but that's what eventually makes it such a wonderful place to live.

Fenner: It's interesting to finally meet a candidate who isn't proclaiming that their city is the greatest city of all time. Are you saying that you think RhyDin could use some improvements"

Horne: Of course it could. Anything, anyone, any place could use improvement in some way or another. Not to be broken record girl, but I think we could do more for those that end up here by mistake. I think lack of unity is another thing. We should take care of one another. I think that the Watch could be brought up a level or two. Just stuff like that.

Fenner: Well, seeing as you're already getting into your platform ideas I suppose we may as well talk about them now. You mention lack of unity; are you saying you intend to bolster solidarity in RhyDin" How"

Horne: I think such a thing could be encouraged. Just give people a push in the right direction, remind them that the person bleeding on the floor of the inn could just as easily be them.

Fenner: How do you intend to 'push' people in that direction"

Horne: PSA's, events, fliers. Nailing signs to trees if that's what it takes.

Fenner: You also mentioned that the Watch could be brought up a level or two. How do you plan to accomplish that"

Horne: Huh. I think there should be mandatory training sessions, stricter ones. Hiring more officers would probably help quite a bit too.

Fenner: That being said, the interest in law enforcement - and applications to the Watch, for that matter - are still at an all-time low. Where do you expect to find this manpower"

Horne: There are new people coming to RhyDin all of the time and some of them are looking for employment. I'd even go so far as job fairs. We have trained policemen in RhyDin right now that don't know about the Watch.

Fenner: Given its reputation, there are some who would say those policemen or trained officers simply don't have much interest in the Watch, and instead engage in vigilantism. What is your position on that"

Horne: Sadly, I think that vigilantism is a necessary thing right now. I think people like that that go out of their way to make the place they live just that much safer are incredible, but it also pains me to think of the Watch as a lost cause. There's so much potential there, but the problem is getting people to see that. I would strive towards making people forget about those dull spots and help them see what the Watch could be.

Fenner: So you'd make an effort to actively recruit officers"

Horne: Yes sir, I absolutely would.

Fenner: While we're speaking of vigilantism. There are some rumors circulating about the sort of business you conduct in your 'small cleaning business.' Is there anything about that you'd like to tell us"

Horne: Oh, that. We do currently cater to those who have messes they want removed, be it a dirty alleyway, a filthy basement, we take care of it for them. We don't steal from or kill people, Mr. Fenner. We're just that, a cleaning business.

Horne: Would you care to expand on certain 'messes' that you've dealt with in the past"

Horne: Dirt, dust, debris, and sadly, bodies and everything that comes with the, you know, destruction of said bodies.

Fenner: Do you find this to be commonplace"

Horne: I do, but there are all sorts of reasons for things like that. Sometimes it's just cleaning up rats, or helping to pick up after a necromancer raises a few corpses.

Fenner: Moving on, then. What do you think sets you apart from your fellow candidates"

Horne: I'm a little bit younger, but that just means I have a different perspective, I guess. I've thrived in several different cultures. I know how much it blows to wind up here unaware, but I also know how quickly a person can fall in love with this place.

Fenner: What are your opinions of the other candidates"

Horne: Trust me when I say that I'm not blowing sunshine, but Fio is a wonderful governor. Kruger is a sweetheart and has such solid ideas. It circles back to the different perspective thing. It has to be hard to try and govern a place like RhyDin.

Fenner: If I may, why are you running for office if you think Fio is such a great governor"

Horne: Because I think I can do better. I'm a fresh mind and I watch people. I don't mean creeper watching, but I do pay attention to the people around me. I hear their disappointments and their grief and their happiness. I will listen to everyone, sir, if they have a problem and I'll encourage them to listen to their fellow citizens. I have a different set of eyes, I notice different things. I know without a shadow of a doubt that I could take this position by the horns and spin it around.

Fenner: I think that'll do it for now, then. Is there anything else you'd like to add?

Horne: I'd like to wish the other candidates the best of luck, but hopefully not better than mine.

Darien Fenner

Date: 2012-06-11 23:28 EST
Fenner: People of RhyDin are already familiar with you as the current governor so I won't waste time with 'getting to know you' questions. Where I would like to begin is whether you feel you've made an impact in your career as governor this past year.

Helston al Amat: Oh, yes. I believe so. I am, in fact, very proud of what we've done over the past 13 months. The city came together in the face of a devastating medical crisis. We've established a public calendar recognizing no fewer than thirteen official RhyDinian holidays that represent the diverse spectrum of our citizens. The institution of the advisory council has proven to be very effective, giving a voice to people throughout the city, while the governor's service medal program has recognized heroes and encouraged community efforts of every sort. The city successfully passed its first year working towards FLA compliance very successfully. We established a small business relief fund, built a network of private citizens willing to fund small business start ups, and refurbished the Welcome Center network throughout the city. I could go on and on. Yes. I think my term as governor has made a positive impact.

Fenner: I'll get to the GAC and the relief fund a little bit later, but if it's alright with you I'd like to tackle your initial reaction to RBF. For those who weren't completely informed or don't remember, would you mind outlining the government's involvement in the RhyDin Benghu Fever outbreak"

Helston al Amat: Certainly. We first became aware of the epidemic when three hunters appeared at a local clinic, suffering from symptoms of the disease. The clinic staff quickly recognized that they were dealing with something very serious and quarantined those who had known contact with the three men and alerted my office requesting assistance. We put them in contact with RhyDin General and other local hospitals and clinics, as well as with Stars End resources, to identify the disease and determine appropriate treatment. The government's role was to coordinate efforts, educate the public about the disease and the need for vaccinations, obtain resources and maintain the peace during the crisis.

Fenner: There was some speculation during the outbreak that there was a cover-up, but if I recall you quickly quashed that rumor.

Helston al Amat: Absolutely, I did. The first public notice went out within an hour of positively identifying what we were dealing with. It would have been irresponsible to have announced anything before we could give instructions. It would have caused a panic, and potentially made things worse, not better

Fenner: Do you feel there is anything else you could have done in that situation or that you regret"

Helston al Amat: We did everything that could be done during that terrible event. I am so very proud of how the citizens of RhyDin responded to the crisis, and thankful for all those who volunteered to help, from caring for the sick to hosting vaccination clinics.

Fenner: Moving on, then. Let's talk about the GAC. A lot of what you, during the past term in office, have accomplished has been rooted in the GAC, do you agree"

Helston al Amat: I said when I was running for office last year that I believed the community had to come together to effect change. The ministries failed because the ministers were each given broad power and then left alone to their own devices by an absentee governor. The GAC has been a success. I believe it proves that a collaborative government is effective, and that the governor must be intimately involved in the management and direction of the government.

Fenner: Even so, there are many in RhyDin who find the private meetings, and I quote, "shady." How do you expect to promote this "voice" of the city when you are, in fact, meeting with only a handful of people - without public access - to discuss that public's dealings"

Helston al Amat: I need to correct you there. There have only been two special meetings of the council conducted privately - and those were closed because we were concerned about information related to the security of the city getting into the hands of individuals who wished to wreak havoc and destruction. All monthly meetings of the council have been held in a public venue, and have not only been open to the public to attend, but the transcripts of all of those meetings have been published for any citizen to access and review.

Fenner: How were the GAC candidates selected initially"

Helston al Amat: A call for nominations went out and all citizens were encouraged to present the names of those they thought would do well on the council. An effort was also made to bring those former ministers who were still available and interested in being involved into the council. Everyone who was nominated was accepted.

Fenner: Overall, have you been satisfied with all of the members of the GAC"

Helston al Amat: Overall, yes.

Fenner: There are a couple of incidents that have occurred during your term. One I'd like to address is the bullying of several business following an influx of Japanese gangsters. Your thoughts on that"

Helston al Amat: Anytime you have a prosperous and free economy, there are going to be those who want to exploit it. Interplanetary warrants have been issued through the Spaceport Authority for the specific individuals involved in the GrangerGuild bombing, but we believe they left RhyDin and extradition is unlikely. A number of businesses came forward about the threats they received and banded together to say no to the demands being made. Like most bullies, the group has not been heard from since then.

Fenner: And he's dropped out of the race, but I'd also like to briefly mention Ander Northlander at this point. Lately he's made a point to increase the private security presence in RhyDin - to an almost excessive or overbearing amount, many have said. Did you consent to this"

Helston al Amat: I have not. However, there is no specific law against private security details that I can cite. To my knowledge, his forces have not detained any private citizen unlawfully, and he has been careful not to overstep the authority of the Watch. And, initially, his displays were part of his political campaign. I am sure you can understand that I would not specifically forbid any lawful candidate for this office from campaigning.

Fenner: That being said, what are your impressions of the other candidates"

Helston al Amat: On a personal level" I think they are both fine people and their interest in the city is something to be admired. I believe I am the better choice for the job. I've proven myself over the past year and my aim has consistently been to honor the diverse interests of the city. I believe that some of the campaign promises being made are fundamentally empty - either because those things already exist, such as funding for start up businesses or clinics offering magical healers....or because the city does not want or need them. I'd point to talk of taxation of the public on that.

Fenner: Would you like to expand on those promises a little more"

Helston al Amat: Let's save something for the debates on Sunday.

Fenner: Fair enough. Before the debate, however, I might mention that your fellow candidate Audrey Horne claims that she thinks she is younger and has a 'better perspective' than you. Care to comment"

Helston al Amat: Ms. Horne has not once attended a meeting of the GAC in the course of the past year. Until she put forth her name, she evinced no interest in politics and since then, I understand that one of her driving concerns has been what uniforms to force the town hall staff into. So, yes. I believe we have very different perspectives on the responsibilities of the job. I'll leave it to the voters to decide which is better.

Fenner: There's just one more thing I'd like to address before we wrap up, and that is the matter of the RhyDin Navy. It seems as though the project is, for lack of better words, dead in the water.

Helston al Amat: No pun intended.

Fenner: Precisely.

Helston al Amat: When you have no volunteers for a volunteer force, you have two choices. Abandon the plan or invest a vast amount of time, energy and money into it anyway. The naval guard was an idea the city wasn't ready for yet. When it is, the project can be resurrected.

Fenner: And yet, your predecessor Matt Simon launched the R.A.S.G. with great success.

Helston al Amat: Our efforts with the naval guard were exploratory in nature. The committee was tasked with gaging the interest of the ship captains and the inhabitants of the coastal districts. There was insufficient interest there to proceed, and the need has not been sufficiently proven. It's not a failure to make an informed decision to end a project based on evidence. Governing is about making choices. I think that it was a good choice.

Fenner: I think that will work for now, then. Is there anything else you'd like to add?

Helston al Amat: Just that I have great plans for the coming year. I am very excited about continuing the work we began a year ago and expanding on the opportunities that we've created together.

Darien Fenner

Date: 2012-06-11 23:36 EST
Written interview with Magenta Horne, composed by Ashley Weatherl.

Interviewer: What is your full name and occupation, and what is your relationship with the candidate"

Horne: Magenta Grail Horne. Grail was my surname before our marriage, and we weren't sure how to combine our names, so we sort of did a mental coin toss and that's how it came out.

Interviewer: When did you first arrive in RhyDin"

Horne: It's been about 7 years since I first got here with Alma Stuartl and they've been eventful years, full of changes and challenges, sadness and almost unbelievable joy. Kind of like life is, I guess"

Interviewer: Whereabouts do you live in RhyDin" With Audrey, no doubt"

Horne: We currently live in WestEnd, but we're looking for larger accommodations, what with the baby and Audrey's constantly inviting people to crash for a while when they don't have anywhere else to go. And there's her psycho smut-freak rabbit, too.

Interviewer: What is your opinion of the other candidates" What about their platforms"

Horne: Audrey doesn't want to run a negative campaign. I think the voters will learn what they need to know about her platform and those of her opponents in your interviews and the debates, and we both trust our fellow citizens to decide wisely and carefully. This is a challenging time for RhyDin (then again, when hasn't it been"), so this election is extremely important to all of us.

Interviewer: Explain Audrey's platform to me. Was the platform both your and Audrey's brainchild" What is it, do you think, that makes Audrey different from the other candidates"

Horne: Audrey's campaign has several components, it is business-friendly, and includes planks that would benefit both small businesses and large without creating a corporate welfare system; components that would enhance public safety, in part by increasing training and recruitment for the Watch; and expand medical care opportunities, especially in light of legitimizing and taking advantage of those with non-traditional healing powers. She's fortunate enough to have some inherited money, and it is her plan to "prime the pump" for some of these efforts with her own funds to avoid placing an unnecessary burden on the taxpayer. It was all her doing. Audrey is the brains in the relationship; I'm just arm candy...and the tank.

Audrey has business sense and youthful ideals, a rare combination. She has specific ideas and she brings a unique perspective, in that she still remembers what it's like to be a newcomer here, and yet she's made the commitment to build a home and family in RhyDin. I think that's a valuable thing to bring to the job, as it well help her to truly be everyone's governor. I think, too, that RhyDin benefits from bringing new minds to the fore. It's not like we're short of talent here, so I say wring all of the ideas out of one Governor and then bring in a new one! That gives our community the benefit of more experience and more inspiration in a shorter period of time.

Interviewer: What motivated you to contact us and arrange an interview"

Horne: I don't know, I guess just because I believe in Audrey and in her campaign, and wanted to take whatever opportunity there might be to help people understand that she sees RhyDin with fresh eyes, that she brings both youthful energy and a fierce determination to everything she does, and that she will work harder than anyone to make our home a better place for our daughter, Susanna Quentin Horne, to grow up in.

Interviewer: Are you planning on being Audrey's running mate"

Horne: I run on occasion, and I mate; but I find it difficult to do both at the same time.