Topic: RhyDin Beltane 2010!

Darien Fenner

Date: 2010-04-25 21:34 EST
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/dfenner_photo/girl-glasses-1.jpg Junior Columnist: Ashley Weatherl

RhyDin Beltane 2010! April 24, 2010

Well, RhyDin, it's spring, and May is closing in fast! You know what that means! Beltane is just around the corner!

Already, preparations for the three-night celebration are well underway, courtesy of some of RhyDin's most talented coordinators.

"There's going to be all sorts of things!" Johnny Smith, local silversmith and off-and-on bartender at the Red Dragon Inn, said. "Friday, the first day of the celebration, there's going to be all sorts of family activities during the day - face painting, May-pole decorating, flower wreaths, painting up flower pots that the kids can plant flowers or herbs in, some barrel-ring racing - that's just a few things. Then that night once it's a bit later, they'll be crowning the May Queen and her Court, and the May Queen will choose her Green Man. Doc Anya's going to be holding another kissing booth and a dunking booth to raise money for the Riverview Clinic - think that's Friday, might be Saturday instead, maybe both days - and there's going to be a booth where artists can set up and paint people, with the supplies so's people can do some painting on their own if they want. Food, music, general partying. Saturday's going to be lighting the Beltane Bonfire, any handfasting's that want will be able to jump over it, should be a booth set up that people can mix up their own Beltane incenses or perfumes, and a whole bunch of street carnival games set up for people to play. Heard that we might have a magician wandering around, but that for sure yet. Sunday' That's the Masquerade Ball, so come in costume for some drinks and dancing!"

Apparently, Smith has had his hands completely full this year as one of the charming and debonair masterminds behind the event itself. From what we've heard, though, he's more than a veteran at this sort of thing!

"There's been a lot of planning that's been going on for Beltane this year - always is for this and for the Harvest Festival, you know?" said Smith. "But I've been helping work on the festivals for the last few years and when I have the time it's something I love to do. This year I really wanted to make sure that Beltane was celebrated, since the Empress - Jewell Ravenlock - she loved it so much. In her memory a bit."

But rest assured, Smith hasn't been making these preparations all on his own. According to him, Beltane cannot be run by only one man.

"There's been a lot of great help from all sorts of folks," explained Smith. "But the person who stands out the most is Alystrianna - she was May Queen a couple of years back and she's got a real good grasp on what needs to be done. She'll be crowning the May Queen on Friday night."

Alystrianna "Aly' Illenia D"Vaustaival agrees that this festival is not one to be missed; it is a pleasant break from the humdrum everyday and a place to make new and wonderful memories.

"Wolvinator proposed to me at Beltane," said D"Vaustaival, 'so it's always special to attend the festival and celebrate our love and encourage the love of others. I work a lot so it's nice to have such a fun event to see all of my dear friends together and having a good time."

The long list of coordinators does not stop at D"Vaustaival, however! RhyDinians from all walks of life are throwing in their lot with Smith to make the festival a family-friendly, fun, and fantastic function!

"I was new to the city last year and I didn't know just how the realm here went about preparing for their solstices, so I didnt get a chance to come up with any way to contribute," Lilliana McClae, local gypsy and May Queen nominee said. "This year however I thought it might be nice to hold an open night before the city's events kick off where folks could come and learn more....Ah, worldly manners of dance fitting as tribute to the virile spirit of the season's greening! I plan on getting together a big lot of my own dancing gear and light up the front of the Red Dragon this coming Thursday night at about ten to help folks get their dancing feet ready and maybe show some of my clan's steps!"

"The painting booth will be open the first two days of Beltane all day and into the night even," London Demery, local artist said. "That is Friday and Saturday thirtieth of April and the first of May. The booths will be open for painting faces or even portraits if anyone would like. I hope to see everyone there and having a grand time!"

Whatever event strikes your fancy, make a point to pop in this year for Beltane. According to its collaborators, the festival promises to be truly exciting, if only for the good times to be had with friends and family.

"I look forward to the reconnection with nature," Maranya Ergin-Falconne, Chief of Staff at Riverview Clinic, said. "And seeing my friends and loved ones at peace with the world."

" to seeing everyone together and having a wonderful time!" claims Demery.

And as for everyone's favorite gypsy' What does Lilliana McClae look forward to"

"The leaping of the fires and sleeping under the first spring moon of course!" exclaimed McClae excitedly in an interview Saturday.

How are you preparing for Beltane, RhyDin? What do you look forward to most' Write the Gossip Column and let us know!

In related news, May Queen nominations are finalized - all that remains is the voting!

Jaycy Ashleana Quinn Benoit Darcy Devin Huntington Zabiru Shimmerscale a.k.a. "Awesomesauce" Captain Johnathan Helena Tapole Fia Calriss Ashira Lilliana McClae Luna Eva Katarina Smith Duci Eszti Lovasz Shylah "Shy" Vulpecula Sivanna Cyredghymn Kismet Pyx Delphi Alethelia Thais Riley O'Rourke Misty Niamh ODonovan Dean Winchester Maranya Ergin-Falconne

The person who receives the most votes will be RhyDin's May Queen in 2010 - and the next four most vote recipients will be members of the May Queen's Court! So get in those votes no later than April 29th!

]