Topic: The 2010 Elections: Get Out and Vote!

Darien Fenner

Date: 2010-04-11 15:17 EST
The following articles were seen on page one through three of the RhyDin Post, April the eleventh.

The 2010 Elections: Get Out and Vote! April 11, 2010

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx21/dfenner_photo/6264346944a710cfe80dc5.jpg Senior Columnist and Investigative Journalist: Darien Fenner

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe described the best government that we can have as one that teaches us to govern ourselves. In truth, what is it about government that a governed body is determined to fault' Is it the overbearing threat of regulation' Or, on the other end of the spectrum, is it a completely laissez-faire policy that sets a governing body as a clockmaker whose singular actions create a series of repercussions inevitably resulting in malcontent' What is the proper form of government' Some will argue that a totalitarian society ensures a kind of institutionalized patriotism; that binding the governed body with iron restraints is better than leaving grabby, greedy hands to go about their business. Others contest that while we may fruitfully argue over the dysfunction of civilization, corporatism, hierarchical power structure, and especially governments, we cannot deny the historical fact that anarchism has never as yet created a viable society.* If this is the case, then how has RhyDin existed as a whole until now"

This 2010 election, you, the governed, have the responsibility to make a sensible choice when it comes to your government. Who would you have preside over the Governor's seat' Who would you approach with your problems" To whom would you entrust your city' Do your experiences these past three years factor into your decision'

This decision is not to be made lightly; the gubernatorial office has since become one of the few positions of authority RhyDin has to offer. Whomsoever earns it decides just how much respect that position commands.

Whom do you trust, RhyDin"

Aaron Marshall

A new face to the election this year, Aaron Marshall is accused by a fellow candidate as having a platform that "offers only fluff and ideas with no actual method." Another of his fellow candidates suggested that his campaign seemed ?"centered around either a really bad beer commercial or advertising for a frat party." To his credit, Marshall could likely throw a very good frat party. After all, who doesn't want "free beer every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and sometimes even Saturday?" Overt criticisms aside, Marshall's candidacy undoubtedly appeals to the more corybantic side of the RhyDin proper. Beer, wet t-shirt, and Jell-O enthusiasts will no doubt jump at the opportunity to cast their lot in with Marshall, eager to reap the benefits of empty campaign promises from a na've candidate. But before that vote is cast, please take into consideration the candidate's logic behind his platform.

Any politician can make promises that he doesn't intend to keep. But to so strenuously tout the certainty of free goods and free admission to recreational tournaments and not follow through with them would be a discredit to the election process. If elected to the gubernatorial - pardon - the "Prime Goverdent' position, Marshall would apparently ensure that local breweries and small businesses ascribe to a number of "free days," where they would offer a certain supply of a certain item for free. But how exactly are these business supposed to afford such extravagant generosity"

"Well, I've already started a fund," claims Marshall. "And I've spoken to a few stores who would be willing to provide free drinks and pies, because of all the kick ass advertising they'd get."

But how much advertising does a business really need" Isn't there a point where advertising tapers off, and consumerism is required" What is to stop these "free" offers from putting these businesses into debt"

Blessedly, Marshall argued his airtight, superb logic when it comes to finance.

"They're giving out x amount of beer on certain days, right' This beer gets grabbed up by people until they run out. The people want more, they go and buy it. So, partially it pays for itself. Then like, I help with certain things. Blackdog is a new brewery, so they'll do anything to get their name out there right now."

Right, right. Supply and demand. I read something like that in an economics article somewhere. But wait a minute. What was the addendum on marginal cost' Oh yes! Firms will produce additional output only as long as the cost of producing an extra unit of output is less than the price they will receive. Assuming there is even a proportional demand, how exactly are vendors expected to generate a greater supply of their products when the profit curve already suggests a staunch deficit'

But rest assured, "It wouldn't be free on every day of the week, yo. That's just silly. I figure, once other shops see how successful it is, they'll start pitching in too."

Glad to see our candidates have some leap of faith when it comes to economics. And as to this particular candidate's capacity for government" "It's not the law itself, I think. It's the idea of laws. This place is all kinds of crazy, where do you see order" I'm saying passing giant ass laws or even proposing them in a place as hectic as this isn't the way to go."

Eloquently and deliberately spoken, RhyDin.

In his own words: "Aaron Marshall: "Why the f—- not?""

*"What's Wrong with Anarchism?" Georg Feuerstein, Ph.D.

Darien Fenner

Date: 2010-04-11 15:19 EST
Eleanor Legarde

Speaking of a leap of faith. Who better to trust your city to than one of God's chosen"

Eleanor Legarde, self-proclaimed Angel Knight, promises to "bring peace, love, tranquility, beauty, and God's Love into this city."

"My platform is all about spreading love and peace and God's Love!" claims Legarde. "If there's anything this city needs more of, it's God's Love. Love in general, really. I think there should be more hugs to go around too."

Apparently the Beatles were correct, RhyDin, according to Legarde. All you need is love, right' Nevermind that what goes on in the dueling venues of RhyDin is the source of immediate news and sports coverage, and that at least nineteen percent of the entire RhyDin population have admitted to taking part in the dueling sports at one time or another.

"Right now though I feel Matt is a big promoter of violence," explains Lagarde. "Which is not a good thing! He has the Outback that promotes unhealthy beating of people where we need kinder ways of releasing our anger and torment."

Proponents of the sports fervently argue against this particular policy.

"That is frankly simplistic thinking of the highest order," argues an Emerald-ranked duelist in the Fists variety. "If there were not legitimate outlets for aggression like those that the dueling arenas provide, I guarantee you that the incidences of assaults, among other violent crimes, would be epidemic in comparison."

Added another duelist: "Umm....isn't she on the Duel of Magic Standings" ...Yeah, yeah she is."

For a self-proclaimed Angel Knight, Legarde certainly is quick to bend the realm of observation for her constituents.

On the other hand, Legarde manages in no few words to keep her head above water when it comes to morally ambiguous questions. When asked whether she believed that the ends do, in fact, justify the means, she paraphrased a sermon from the Old Testament of the Catholic Bible.

"God's killed a lot of people for the sake of good, so I believe the ends do justify the means! It's an unfortunate fact of life. I think it's called Darwinism' But even after you die and suffer good stuff happens if you're good! Just ask Lot!"

How refreshing it is that our candidates are so impartial and universally loving! Of her future term in office, Legarde had only this to say:

"I will create a wide array of outlets for people to participate in so that violence can be decreased whereas Matt has increased it! I will do such things such as promoting knitting, sewing, and hug exchanges so that we can all be happier! I think I'd also like to beautify the city and the people in it. Just between you and me there's some uggos running around and I think they'd be happier if they were prettier....You're not gonna write that down, right' Right??"

In her own words: "Eleanor Legarde: "For the sake of love, peace, beauty, and more love!??

Darien Fenner

Date: 2010-04-11 15:21 EST
Thwei Cetanu

Four citizens in the RhyDin Marketplace were asked the same question: "What do you know about the gubernatorial candidate, Thwei Cetanu?"

Four very similar replies were received:

"Absolutely nothing. Now why do you want to know?" "Bless you!" "I have not heard of this candidate." "Next to nothing. Only what that weird hologram was saying every fifteen minutes."

According to said hologram, "Thwei Cetanu has spent the past few years helping to protect our city here at the midnight hour! He's stalked the streets from the rooftops while you laid in your bed safe at night! He's protected you and your children from those wishing to gut you like a fish while you slept at night! In his time lending a hand to those protecting this very city, he's rescued countless people and creatures! He's not once killed an Innocent! How many in this city can hold that to their name" He'll listen to your thoughts on what should be done! He's friend to Human, Elf, Dwarf and Dragon!"

All uncomfortable imagery aside, Cetanu paints the picture of a knight in shining armor, patrolling the streets at night for the safety of RhyDin's citizens. But can a knight in shining armor truly govern"

Cetanu's opponents criticize him as sending mixed messages: "How can he be friend to all races, all species, all creeds in one breath, and avow his superiority in the next' He underestimates . He condemns all as carnal murderers."

Still, despite being deliberately prejudicial, if not overtly racist in his campaign, Cetanu's resounding message is a sound one: "Vote for a Yautja that has the protection of your children on his agenda!"

Right. The children will be protected, RhyDin. The rest of you are on your own.

Thwei Cetanu: "For the protection of your children!"

Article continued on page two.

Darien Fenner

Date: 2010-04-11 15:23 EST
Corlanthis Wystansayr

Wystansayr's campaign promises seem to have taken on a more interesting flavor. Of his plans for office, the candidate had this much to say:

"Well, I guess. You know, make omelettes for people, but on a much larger scale. And the usual stuff, promoting peace and harmony. That kind of thing."

Oh good. At least RhyDin will be well fed. Let's just hope that we don't get any of those health hounds immigrating in who claim that eggs are bad for you. That just might cost him the candidacy.

Thankfully, Wystansayr's presence in the past few elections has thoroughly established his solid platform and political know-how. In the 2009 debate, he fared rather capably against his opponents, utilizing diplomatic finesse to soften the blow of possibly controversial approaches to fiscal policies.

Of citizen protection in 2009, Wystansayr had this much to say:

"The costs for such an attempt will be defrayed as much as possible through the inclusion of local businesses into the process. Of course, one can hope that self-interest will provide ample persuasion to participate; that may not always be the case. If it proves necessary to dip into public funds to complete the project, then it will only be done with the utmost care to make certain no essential services are adversely affected, and that the quality of service this government has maintained will continue."

Here's to hoping that his proposals from last year still stand. Then again, it has been a whole year since that election. And this is RhyDin. Of his new ideas, however, Wystansayr had little to say.

"New ideas" Yeah, a few, I suppose. Let's see some new blood in the office. I'd think that qualifies as new, doesn't it?"

Perhaps it does. New blood should mean new ideas, right' " Right"

"Well, I think Matt has the right idea, but let's face it. Just because an idea is good doesn't mean you should really keep doing it, does it' Stagnation is the enemy!"

Right you are, Mr. Wystansayr. Stagnation is the enemy. And as educated and experienced as he, as a candidate may be, perhaps he should consider that fact and campaign with some fresh ideas or observations of his own.

To the rest of his candidates, however, Wystansayr was very gracious:

"May the best ma" uh' wo' uh' person win!"

Corlanthis Wystansayr: "It's election time. I guess I should run again!"

Darien Fenner

Date: 2010-04-11 15:24 EST
Silas Greyshott

Even with Proposition 37 so far behind us, Silas Greyshott hasn't failed to make some kind of a statement when it comes to his campaign. As the master mage at Greyshott Applied Magick and Engineering (GAME), Greyshott's message just screams all things magick. Perhaps he is coasting on some kind of pro- or anti-magic fallout, but in all honesty, Greyshott's voice on other issues has of yet remained to be heard. Though campaign fliers everywhere tout the mage's skill in all forms of the arcane, they ultimately reveal nothing about his plans for the gubernatorial seat. The only suggestion we are given of this particular candidate's position is this:

"Silas Greyshott is a firm supporter of reasonable stances on the significant issues of the day, so please cast your vote for him this election. Thank you."

Oh, good! Well, as long as we have a self-proclaimed moderate in our midst, then we should really just keep our questions to ourselves, shouldn't we"

Yet, for a man who spends his days working in an element that some might condemn as illusory, Greyshott was quick to denounce the smoke and mirrors of the political world:

"Well, I'm sure, in your field, you've observed other elections in the past, and how often they get....I'd say....almost overly complicated, winning votes for morals, ideologies, or better yet sensible reforms or practices, but winning them aesthetically, instead of on the merit of their future constituents agreeing with what they intend to do for them. It never really seems quite enough to allow a man — or woman, or anyone who may personally identify with a number of perfectly normal and acceptable gender roles — anyway, it never seems enough to allow them to vote for candidates who support ideas that appeal to them. It all ends up caught up in gimmicks and, ah....and attitudes, and looking good and smiling bright and really showing up the other man, when in fact....it can really be a very simple thing to stand up for what someone else wants. And that's what I think we, here, run on....political simplicity. We promise, if elected, a maintenance of a minimalist, noninterventionist government, and yet to still maintain an active role as a community participant and advocate. And we've done that....simply."

He makes an excellent point, of course. Gimmicks and empty promises tend to be what elections these days revolve around. It's a good thing that Greyshott's campaign is so all-encompassing and informative! Perhaps the smoke and mirrors will disappear if he makes it past the primaries. But for now"

In his own words: "Silas Greyshott: Silas means magick! Because he's a mage!"

Article continued on page three.

Darien Fenner

Date: 2010-04-11 15:27 EST
Sheridan (Dris) Driscol

What is it they say about drinking" when the wine is in, the wit is out' Well it seems that Sheridan (Dris) Driscol is quite the exception to this particular rule. Accused by his opponents of being a 'self-proclaimed town drunk," Driscol has, since announcing his candidacy, maintained a strong, almost foolproof air of confidence and poise in the face of outright criticism. His platform, however, has not stopped him from making criticisms of his own, and of the office he is running for, no less.

"This is RhyDin. "Positions of authority' didn't even exist until three years ago. At least not those that weren't self-made. A decade ago the highest levels of authority anyone ever recognized were the leaders of guilds and houses, and even those were iffy."

Added Driscol: "As I hear it, the entire notion came up as equal parts joke and dare. Next thing you know, people are voting and putting into a position of authority."

Driscol's "Remember Your Roots, RhyDin" campaign commercials all seem to revolve around two things: the condemnation of the present system of rule, and the advocation of a "good and proper union of what is; a holy matrimony' of RhyDin and her government.

"The current government is detached from RhyDin's wants and needs," claims Driscol. "My intentions are to allow RhyDin to be as it has always been, without stifling influence of a government that likes to believe we are a different world entirely."

Of RhyDin's want for "attachment," Driscol openly criticized an open-door policy that current Governor Matthew Algiers Simon has taken painstaking efforts to defend.

"A door is a portal between two adjacent rooms, isn't it' Governor Simon's door may be open, but how often has he himself stepped out of his room to walk amongst the people" "RhyDin is a self-sufficient city full of independent and able-bodied citizens. It isn't likely that the people are going to take their concerns to a figurehead when they believe, first and foremost, that they are capable of resolving their grievances on their own terms and in their own time."

Hold the phone. Rewind. Exactly does he, or doesn't he support an open-door policy' Because it almost seems as though he's telling the people of the city to figure out solutions on their own. We'll let you be the judge of that.

Back to Wolfgang von Goethe, ladies and gentlemen. What is the best kind of government' That which teaches us to govern ourselves. Exactly what kind of knowledge can RhyDin hope to attain if its Governor is insistent upon not being a teacher or a leader, but a friend"

One of his fellow candidates seems to disagree with this purposed 'symbiotic relationship" of friend and folk.

"Leaders cannot always be friends. Sometimes have to, for the good of the city as a whole and not specific groups or individuals, make decisions that upset those groups or people" Anyone who holds the Governor's office must be fine with that, must be able to command as a leader, not as solely and simply a friend. The two are not mutually exclusive, but, as Governor, the primary task is leadership."

It remains to be seen: "Must a government be too strong for the liberties of its people or too weak to maintain its own existence?"

According to Driscol, his platform is anything but anarchical. Yet, his argument remains that he would like to see RhyDin return to its "former glory"; to three years ago, when RhyDin was without any form of government or recognizable authoritarian figure.

"What I'll say' is that since the institution of our government, I haven't seen anything change whatsoever," explains Driscol.

Well then. If nothing has changed, with or without a government, then what exactly needs fixing"

Added Driscol: "What's more to say than best of luck to each and every , and may the best man, or woman, win."

In his own words: "Sheridan Driscol: "Remember your roots, RhyDin!??

Darien Fenner

Date: 2010-04-11 15:29 EST
Matthew Algiers Simon

With already two years in office under his belt, Matthew Simon is no stranger to the electoral process in RhyDin. Accused by his critics of enacting 'stagnant' and "uncreative" policies, Simon has taken an ambiguous and questionably encouraging position this 2010 election when it comes to new ideas for his next term.

"This election, the Governorship as a whole, it's not about offering something new for newness' sake. It's about offering the best most adept leadership. It's about understanding of this city, of its people, it's about meeting with and learning with and from those people. It's about utilizing that knowledge to create plans and, more importantly, ways to capable and competently put those plans into action and meet the intended goals. I've proven I can do that, I've done it for the last two years. That may not be new, but it's what this city and its citizens need and deserve to continue to thrive and prosper."

For a man that banks his platform on change, Simon is quick to downplay any potential modifications or adaptations to his governing policies.

"Groups like the RASG, specialized units like the DART (Disaster Aid and Recovery Teams), who were instrumental in the Sanyumato recovery, didn't exist before I was Governor. We've made great strides in two years, but we're not perfect. We need to continue to refine and hone and position ourselves for even more growth and success. I believe I can keep us on point, as Governor."

That is true. Groups like the RASG and the DART did not exist before Simon took office - Groups whose fiscal backing are arguably useless, according to his opponents. Indeed, in one of his campaign advertisements, Sheridan Driscol disregarded government action, and rather recognized the altruism and generosity of RhyDin's citizens, aid recovery excluded.

"It was not as Governor Simon would have you believe, the charitable donations of cash gold, that helped this family survive the disaster. Instead, it was the kind disposition of neighbors with extra rooms that allowed this family to have a place to lay their heads at night, and the extra time as well as hands devoted to help them rebuild their lives."

"I enjoy the Governorship," explains Simon. "I enjoy its challenges, I enjoy being able to guide and to lead. I am deeply appreciative of the opportunities the citizens of this city have given me, to lead, these last two years. I want to continue to show them that they've made a wise decision. Not that I haven't made mistakes, not that I won't in the future. But as I've said, the mistakes I've made, I've learned from and haven't repeated. I've grown, I've changed, and those are two signs of effective leadership."

Right, right. We've learned from our mistakes, have we" Eureka! That explains why the Dockside Plague solution was reached just days shy of the inordinate time period it took for the aberrant lightning storms this past year to be analyzed.

Wait. Solution' Analysis"

That's right! Simon has not spoken out on any solution to the situation in Dockside, nor did we hear anything from him of the reasons behind the climate changes leading up to Sanyumato. On June third, in a press conference to address the RASG's first casualty, Simon had this much to say about the atmospheric conditions:

"I've issued a directive to our top scientists and climatologists to focus their efforts on discovering whether we're witnessing natural occurrences or whether these changes are being wrought by a specific person or group. As yet, we have no definitive answers."

Still, unanswered questions aside, Simon more than ready to reinforce policies already in effect, whether or not his opponents are eager to find error in them.

"The Watch, the RASG, those are only parts of the effort. We all saw, with the utter tragedies that took place as a result of Proposition Thirty-Seven, that violence, even from ordinarily peaceful citizens, can take place. It's my belief that the violence would have been worse, that more deaths would have occurred, if the Watch had remained as it was when I was originally elected Governor. Was my response adequate" In some ways, yes. We've become better. In some ways, no. Violence still occurs, and my opponents, I'm sure, will happily point that out. But would violence disappear if they were Governor" I doubt it. Under my leadership, violence and crime has reduced, and we're continuing to make strides in lowering it further. That's what?s important, and what we'll continue to do. We'll get better at what we do, and where the the Watch is concerned, that means increased safety for us all."

Matthew Algiers Simon: "Through growth and learning, the maintenance of stability."

Darien Fenner

Date: 2010-04-11 15:53 EST
Hardcopy transcript of the interview between Darien Fenner and gubernatorial candidate Aaron Marshall. Available by request to the RhyDin Post.

Fenner: What made you decide to run for Governor, Aaron'

Marshall: Well. I read about the elections, saw this Simon dude has had it for two years, and didn't know or care for the other candidates, so I thought: "Why the f—- not?" Figured if all these dudes can take a crack at it, I might as well too. No harm in trying. Oh. ::Afterthought:: It's Prime Goverdent.

Fenner: Prime what now"

Marshall: Prime Goverdent.

Fenner: So....you figured you'd take the title from a proven, relatively capable leader because what....someone else needs a turn"

Marshall: Capable" What's he done" What's anyone done" It doesn't take much to be the governor of a lawless city.

Fenner: Clearly you don't read the news much, Aaron. Governor Simon was responsible for the complete reconstruction of south RhyDin after Sanyumato. ::pauses.:: How would you have handled that situation' And, if it's a lawless city, what kind of a position does the Watch serve"

Marshall: Laughter. So he told some people to rebuild some shit' Big whoop. I'm not trying to diss the guy, I don't know him, I'm just saying. And the Watch is good intentioned I guess, if useless most of the time. I can't tell you how many times I've been mugged.

Fenner: How would you have handled the Sanyumato situation, Aaron'

Marshall: I didn't know there was a situation. Pause. You look like an actor. You should act. You got that accent thing going on.

Fenner: I'll put that on my list of backup careers. Pause. What about Proposition 37" I'm sure even you know that serious chaos was caused by the interclass dissent. Governor Simon voted against Proposition 37. What would you have done"

Marshall: I'd vote against it too, personally.

Fenner: Why"

Marshall: My girlfriend at the time was pretty magically inclined, and it pissed her off. Apparently it's some violation of rights. We don't make people who are good at guitar register, why make people who can use magic"

Fenner: So your reason for the vote would have been....because it pissed you off"

Marshall: Pissed her off. I wasn't affected, not a magic bone in my body. Which sucks because she took me flying once and that was f—-ing awesome.

Fenner: Ah. Well....at least some lesser publications might twist that into the suggestion that you represent the views of your constituents. What form of government do you particularly believe is best suited for RhyDin, Aaron"

Marshall: My ex-girlfriend isn't a constituent.

Fenner: No, but your future voters are.

Marshall: If people like beer, boobs, and pie, they'll vote for me. If they don't, then they'll vote for one of the other dudes. And government and Rhy'Din don't mix.

Fenner: Well what do you suggest, then"

Marshall: To leave everyone alone. I mean, look at Prop. 37 and all the #$%^&* that happened 'cause of it. The people here don't like or want government involvement, everything just blows up.

Fenner: Mister Marshall. Begging your pardon, but if Proposition hadn't been conducted through an initiative procedure, do you honestly think it would never have happened" Moreover, if it hadn't ended at the quelching of the movement by a majority vote, isn't it possible, Mister Marshall, that it might not 'ave ended at all"

Marshall: You're missing my point, Fennster. It's not the law itself, I think. It's the idea of laws. This place is all kinds of crazy, where do you see order"

Fenner: You know....John Andrew 'Olmes said that every genuine boy is a rebel and an anarch, and if he were allowed to develop according to his own instincts, his own inclinations, society would undergo such a radical transformation as to make the adult revolutionary cower and cringe. You're honestly saying lawlessness is the key to a successful society' That absolutely no enforcement or even behavioral encouragement is recommended for, say, an economy as prosperous as RhyDin"

Marshall: No. But I'm saying passing giant ass laws or even proposing them in a place as hectic as this isn't the way to go. You got to ease into things, people won't submit just like that.

Fenner: Interesting theory, Aaron. Why don't you enlighten me" How exactly do you plan to "ease" into things, as you say"

Marshall: Give them stuff they'd like. Who doesn't like beer and pie"

Fenner: And where are you going to get this beer and pie"

Marshall: Beer stores and bakeries.

Fenner: And how are you going to pay for these things"

Marshall: Money.

Fenner: Whose"

Marshall: Well, I've already started a fund, and I've spoken to a few stores who would be willing to provide free drinks and pies, because of all the kick ass advertising they'd get.

Fenner: You know....advertising doesn't really do any good if everything's free, Aaron. Who have you spoken to"

Marshall: It's not free every day of the week, yo. That'd just be silly. And pie is only free on fridays. That's why it's called Free Pie Friday.

Fenner: That's great. Now who have you spoken to"

Marshall: Your mom. Pause. No. There are two bakeries in the market, one's called Golden Bakery and the other is Baked Delights. They're both agreeing to supply for Free Pie Fridays.

Fenner: What about this "free alcohol" you're promising" You found suppliers for that"

Marshall: There's one called The Beer Store, I'm not shitting you, it's a real place. Laughter. I thought the dude was screwing with me at first. But there's them, there are a few of those small stores that look like they've seen better days, and the Blackdog Brewery. Now, I need to make sure you understand this. The free beer on certains isn't unlimited, they'd go out of business. So once the day's supply of free alcohol runs out, you gotta wait 'til the next one.

Fenner: And these places are prepared to handle such a big crowd" How big is this "supply?" Who determines how big the supply is" Who pays for the supply"

Marshall: We discuss it. They're giving out x amount of beer on certain days, right' This beer gets grabbed up by people until they run out. The people want more, they go and buy it. So, partially it pays for itself. Then like, I help with certain things. Blackdog is a new brewery, so they'll do anything to get their name out there right now.

Fenner: And you honestly expect this policy will last an entire governorship"

Marshall: I can't see the future, but I'll try for it. I figure, once other shops see how successful it is, they'll start pitching in too.

Fenner: Just one more thing, sir. The issue in Dockside. How would you have handled it"

Marshall: Beer, boobs, and pie.

Fenner: That's all l I needed to know. Anything else you'd like to add on record" Something to tell your constituents"

Marshall: Uh...I'd really like a PRS SE Torero.

Fenner: I'm sure you would, Mister Marshall.

End interview. Note: This interview has been edited to exclude slang and intonations for easier comprehension.

Darien Fenner

Date: 2010-04-11 15:59 EST
Hardcopy transcript of the interview available between Darien Fenner and gubernatorial candidate, Eleanor Legarde. Available by request to the RhyDin Post.

Fenner: What is your full name and occupation"

Legard: My name is Elearnor Legarde and I am an Angel Knight! Although I could probably work on my 'knightliness'....I dabble in all kinds of things, so it's really hard to put a label on everything I do!

Fenner: Tell me a little bit about your platform.

Legarde: My platform is all about spreading love and peace and God's Love! If there's anything this city needs more of, it's God's Love. Love in general, really. I think there should be more hugs to go around too!

Fenner: How long have you lived in RhyDin" If you are not a native resident here, when did you immigrate, and why did you decide to"

Legarde: Um, er...um...do I have to answer all that' I would rather keep it very confidential!

Fenner: What kinds of experience have you had in positions of authority"

Legarde: I commanded an entire army, but most of them got killed and eaten ...I got killed and eaten too, but then I was reborn~!

Fenner: Your thoughts on the other candidates"

Legarde: I don't know everyone else running. Um, Thwei looks scary and I think they don't like humans. Matt is a big promoter of violence! That's really, really bad! Cor is just fantastic. I love Cor! Oh....no! Oops, don't write that down!

Fenner: Did you vote in the last election' If so, who did you vote for"

Legarde: I voted for Cor!

Fenner: Your thoughts on Governor Simon's policies in office" The introduction of the RASG" How about the disaster relief practices in the aftermath of Sanyumato"

Legarde: I was dead for a little while so I don't know all of Matt's policies the last year. But the year before that he seemed to do well enough! I don't know what Sanyumato is. But again, I was dead for a while. I have a lot of catching up to do it seems~

Right now though I feel Matt is a big promoter of violence, which is not a good thing! He has the Outback that promotes unhealthy beating of people where we need kinder ways of releasing our anger and torment.

Fenner: Do you feel the intended greater good justifies inflicting suffering on unwitting victims" Is it morally sound to engage in activities that could accidentally harm others, regardless of the presumed nobility of one's objectives" Do you believe in the theory that the ends do, in fact, justify the means" (I.e., what about inflicting harm for the sake of good")

Legarde: God's killed a lot of people for the sake of good, so I believe the ends do justify the means! It's an unfortunate fact of life. I think it's called Darwinism' But even after you die and suffer good stuff happens if you're good! Just ask Lot!

Fenner: Jane Addams said, "We have learned to say that the good must be extended to all of society before it can be held secure by any one person or any one class. But we have not yet learned to add to that statement, that unless all and all classes contribute to a good, we cannot even be sure that it is worth having." How do you even expect to reform all of society when people on an individual level are inherently selfish"

Legarde: Silly, you can't reform all of society. That's not realistic! I just want to reform most of society! I'll be doing that by downplaying violence that Matt has promoted!

Fenner: If you had been in Governor Simon's shoes, how would you have reacted to the Marketplace bombings"

Legarde: Um. I dunno. I guess he did a pretty good job with that didn't he" I can't really complain how he handled it~

Fenner: What kinds of changes do you hope to establish in the gubernatorial seat, assuming you are elected"

Legarde: I will create a wide array of outlets for people to participate in so that violence can be decreased whereas Matt has increased it! I will do such things such as promoting knitting, sewing, and hug exchanges so that we can all be happier! I think I'd also like to beautify the city and the people in it. Just between you and me there's some uggos running around and I think they'd be happier if they were prettier....You're not gonna write that down, right' Right?"

End interview. Note: This interview has been edited to exclude slang and intonations for easier comprehension.

Darien Fenner

Date: 2010-04-11 16:08 EST
Hardcopy excerpt from the interview between Darien Fenner and gubernatorial candidate, Corlanthis Wystansayr. Copies are available by request to the RhyDin Post.

Fenner: Any thoughts on the other candidates"

Wystansayr: Hey, I'm sure they're all great people. Except maybe for that guy with the weird mouth. He's kind of scary.

Fenner: What do you have that's new to bring to this election' Any new ideas" Policies?"

Wystansayr: Mmm, new ideas" Yeah, a few, I suppose. Lets see some new blood in the office. I'd think that qualifies as new, doesn't it"

Fenner: What do you plan to change if you are elected into office, contrary to, say, Simon's policies already in effect"

Wystansayr: Well, I think Matt has the right idea, but lets face it. Just because an idea is good doesn't mean you should really keep doing it, does it' Stagnation is the enemy!

Fenner: Your constituents want to know, what do you plan to do once in office"

Wystansayr: Well, I guess. You know, make omelettes for people, but on a much larger scale. And the usual stuff, promoting peace and harmony. That kind of thing.

Fenner: And how exactly do you hope to promote peace and harmony"

Wystansayr: Silence.

Fenner: Do you have any experiences in positions of authority' And were you always a native RhyDin citizen"

Wystansayr: Well, as it happens I own and operate a local business, and I've experience in upper management in various other Rhy'din properties in the time since I've first arrived here.

Fenner: One last question, and I'll let you go. What kind of relationship do you have with your fellow candidate, Eleanor Legarde"

Wystansayr: I don't know what business it is of anyone viewing this!

Fenner: Just a simple question, sir, seeing as Legarde has, on record, touted a certain likeness for you.

Wystansayr: I do not think this topic has any bearing on the election.

Fenner: Understood. Do you have any last words for your constituents?

Wystansayr: May the best ma..uh..wo...uh..person win!

End excerpt. Note: This interview has been edited to exclude slang and intonations for easier comprehension.

Darien Fenner

Date: 2010-04-11 16:13 EST
Hardcopy excerpt of an interview between Darien Fenner and gubernatorial candidate, Silas Greyshott. Copies are available by request to the RhyDin Post.

Fenner: Well then, Mr. Greyshott. Why don't you tell me what this is all about"

Greyshott: Ah....running for office, you mean' Yes, yes of course. You see, I....Well, I'm sure, in your field, you've observed other elections in the past, and how often they get....I'd say....almost overly complicated, winning votes for morals, ideologies, or better yet sensible reforms or practices, but winning them aesthetically, instead of on the merit of their future constituents agreeing with what they intend to do for them. It, um....it never, really seems quite enough to allow a man — or woman, or anyone who may personally identify with a number of perfectly normal and acceptable gender roles — anyway, it never seems enough to allow them to vote for candidates who support ideas that appeal to them. It all ends up caught up in gimmicks and, ah....and attitudes, and looking good and smiling bright and really showing up the other man, when in fact....it can really be a very simple thing to stand up for what someone else wants. And that's what I think we, here, run on....political simplicity. We promise, if elected, a maintenance of a minimalist, noninterventionist government, and yet to still maintain an active role as a community participant and advocate. And we've done that....simply. Very simply, in fact....

Fenner: You mentioned political simplicity. That's an awfully broad term, coming from a man who touts only one particular characteristic of his platform. Is there any reason why you have yet to speak out on more specific matters" Is this "magickal" campaign some kind of a statement to the anti-magic voters of last year's Proposition 37"

Greyshott: Well, it would certainly be important to any of those who may still abide by their views on Proposition 37, because I cannot imagine they would want to vote for a mage by accident. But really it was a general statement of identity, not one at all of pride nor even pro-magical; expounding on my identity may give me something in common with fellow mages among the voting population, certainly, but also makes me an element of the city's wonderful diversity.

I have yet to speak out on more specific matters because I believe I do not have to. I believe in a more limited government, and that as governor I would be generally supportive of the community in its endeavors and public events, but also I would act as an advocate for the community in troubled times. In all honesty, beyond that level, specific issues are mere political semantics.

Fenner: Since you have downplayed your attention to other matters so much, perhaps you will allow me this opportunity to ask you: How do you feel about your opponents" platforms" Of late, Simon's open-door policy and Driscol's 'symbiotic" approach to governing have been under attack. What are your thoughts on this"

Greyshott: I believe open doors are certainly a matter everyone should be concerned about, because you may not want everyone coming into your home whenever they please; however it can also play a significant role in allowing neighbors to borrow a cup of sugar if they have pressing need of one.

Mr. Driscol's appreciation of symbiosis is remarkable.

Fenner: DeMuer Exports has, by some, been condemned for monopolizing certain aspects of the off-world trade markets. As an employee of DE, where do you stand when it comes to fiscal and economic policy'

Greyshott: I believe in the freedom of both individuals and the entities they form in the matters of their money insofar as it does not do direct and intended harm to others. However, the office of governor and the environment of RhyDin both allow for no realistic economic regulation, only advocacy of investment beneficial to the health of our communities.

Fenner: Being of such a young age, some of your critics have argued that you lack the experience required for such an office. What do you have to say about that' What kinds of experiences have you had that have readied you for a gubernatorial term"

Greyshott: While I lack direct political experience, I have experience with leadership, pressure and oratory as a result of leading several successful research expeditions, operating my own engineering workshop, and successfully defending my thesis on realm-death before the Atren Council of Arcane Scholarship.

Fenner: Did you vote in the last election' If so, who did you vote for, and why'

Greyshott: Unfortunately I was out of the realm for the entire affair, but I am told I missed an inspiring example of democracy at work.

Fenner: Not long after the Shamrock Shindig attack, which you yourself were hired to manage, the GAME workshop was reported as being boarded up. Would you care to tell our readers why'

Greyshott: I was not hired for management of the Shindig, only for the operation of several climate control devices; the rest of the responsibilities fell to the leprechaun band's manager.

Reallocation of funds between DeMuer Exports' RhyDinian and Sinaldwinian assets have necessitated the temporary shutdown of our RhyDin facility, but the Workshop remains open within the Barony of Sinaldwin, and the Workshop's friends remain very active within the RhyDin community, I assure you.

Fenner: Your thoughts on the other candidates"

Greyshott: I believe the other candidates have shown themselves to be exemplary people; I'd like to take this opportunity to thank them for their professional courtesy while engaging in this race, and I wish each the best of luck with their own political pursuits.

Fenner: What changes and opinions do you hope to bring to the gubernatorial seat, if elected"

Greyshott: I hope to reinforce the idea of non-intervention when it comes to direct action, though more or less maintaining standing practices, as it were; I mostly hope to introduce the idea of advocacy, and what a governor can do as a sympathetic leadership figure without exercising the power of command.

Mr. Simon has shown himself capable of this practice, though I do not believe it has been articulated.

End excerpt. This interview has been edited to exclude slang and intonation for easier comprehension.

Darien Fenner

Date: 2010-04-11 16:37 EST
Hardcopy of an interview between Darien Fenner and gubernatorial candidate, Sheridan (Dris) Driscol. Copies are available by request to the RhyDin Post.

Fenner: Easy ones first, huh' Full name and occupation"

Driscol: My given name from birth in full is Sheridan Driscol, no middle name. I'm a luthier by trade, specializing in pianos, though I'm a fair hand at crafting other strings and winds as well.

Fenner: And are you a native resident to RhyDin, Dris" Do you mind if I call you Dris"

Driscol: I don't mind at all. In fact, I prefer it. And no, I'm not native-born. I came to Rhy'Din first when I was seventeen, which for me was quite a long time ago. Here in the realm that was as little as a decade ago, but for me the years were many more. For the sanity's sake, we'll say I've lived here about that long. Ten years.

Fenner: And what kinds of experiences have you had in positions of authority, in those ten years"

Driscol: Laughter. My dear man, this is Rhy'Din. "Postions of authority" didn't even exist until three years ago. At least not those that weren't self-made. A decade ago the highest levels of authority anyone ever recognized were the leaders of guilds and houses, and even those were iffy. I myself have never led any large scale organization, but in my time— both here in Rhy'Din and in other realms — I've had plenty of experience with inspiring the masses. Of ....influencing the people. It's what I do.

Fenner: Fair enough. Well then, Dris. Why don't you go ahead and tell me about your platform' How would you describe it to the layperson on the street"

Driscol: Laughter. Haven't you been watching my commercials" I figured the message was clear enough. My intentions are to allow Rhy'Din to be as it has always been, without the stifling influence of a government that likes to believe we are a different world entirely. Pause. I'm well-traveled, and I've seen many worlds, many realms. What Rhy'Din's current government is trying to turn us into is something completely alien to our natures. It does this by instilling fear and forgetfulness into the hearts and minds of its citizens. The people are starting to forget who they are and what they are capable of by constantly suckling on the teat of deception. The average Rhy'Din citizen is a proud and self-sufficient animal who does not need to be rescued by a savior. No. What Rhy'Din needs is a supporter of all that already is.

Fenner: Oh I've been watching. Just wanted to hear it from your own lips. Pause. Somehow, I believe you. Now what gives you the impression that the government is a manipulative superpower what believes we're all fools" What fear and forgetfulness are you referring to"

Driscol: Let's start with the Rhy'Din Watch, an organization that has existed for decades, longer than even I've been a citizen of this realm. When concerned citizens petitioned Governor Simon asking him how he was going to protect them from the evils of our society, what did he do' He gave the Watch new uniforms. He claims he also gave them more training. Yet did he encourage anyone, any of the already existing able-bodied warriors and soldiers of our city to take up arms and actually join the Watch' No. He did not. He completely disregarded the existence of those amongst us who are just as capable of defending and protecting the weak and innocent as any volunteer member of the Rhy'Din watch. Point two....Last year at the debates, the question was raised as to what the candidates were going to do to improve the state of health care in our society. Not a single one of them, in my opinion, gave a satisfactory answer. Even the re-elected Governor Simon seemed to be of the opinion that the best way to handle the problem was to throw money at it, through charity drives and generous donations. What none of the candidates even so much as suggested the fact that perhaps the best way to help out here was to advertise the fact that healers and doctors exist in abundance in our realm. It is my opinion that the reason they have been so vastly overlooked and underpaid in these past years is due strictly to the fact that again the government is expecting the people to rely solely on them. Instead of thinking for themselves and seeking their own aid, people have been waiting for the government to point them in the right direction. Well. If that's what I have to do, then that's what I'll do.

Fenner: No, no. Let me interrupt ya 'ear for a second. Your platform is based on some kind of "brotherly aid," right' The purpose of a government-formed arresting body and a trial by jury is to decide - from an unbiased perspective - the justification of a crime. You're saying that any Joe Blow can walk in off the street, claim that he's doing good work, and hire himself out' Who decides whether or not that is doing good work" Who's going to punish him if it turns out he " Who decides who does the punishing" Your platform suggests the encouragement of volunteer healers. How do we know these people are certified" How do we know they aren't going to do more harm than good" You saw the chaos that the plague brought, no' You had a hundred different doctors with a hundred different opinions, and not one of them had the evidence or the training to back it up. What we were left with was a lot of dead bodies!

Driscol: You're not thinking like a Rhy'Din citizen, Fenner. That's the trouble today. The current government has already infected you with its poisons. Rhy'Din isn't Earth, my good man. Even if it was, you'd do best to consider it more medieval than it is modern, even with the influx of futuristic doo-dads and gadgets ....such as your very fine pen there. These people that I mention have been in business in this realm for years longer than the government has even existed. Experience equates certification if you ask me. Did I go to school to become certified in the crafting and repairing of stringed instruments" No, I did not. Yet people see my work, see that it is good, and based on this portfolio of product alone I continue to do good business.

Fenner: So you're not just talking about taking RhyDin out of the government's sphere of influence. You're talking about the obliteration of government overall, aren't you? You're talking about anarchy.

Driscol: Laughter. Not in the least. What I'm suggesting, my dear sir, is a good and proper union of what is. Rhy'Din and the government need to be joined in holy matrimony, if you will. They need to mate. Instead of trying to make Rhy'Din something that it isn't, I believe the government needs to adapt to what Rhy'Din is. Though I'll confess you've raised some interesting concerns that I myself have not yet thought of, nor do I think has Governor Simon taken them into consideration either. I'll do well to remember your fears, and do all that I can to ease them, should I be elected.

Fenner: No, no. Your "roots" campaign and what you have said before implies that the government is detached from RhyDin's wants and needs. But! You have just now suggested that the government is not only affixed to RhyDin's problems, but that it is nearly overbearing . Which is it"

Driscol: The current government is detached from Rhy'Din's wants and needs, Mr. Fenner. Let's take a look at one of your fears as an emphasis. We'll take that recent plague as your most disastrous example. How did Governor Simon address that problem' Instead of addressing it, he instead placed the blame on then Baron of Dockside Vanion Shadowcast, claiming that it was a disease generated by his own nefarious designs. Instead of combatting the problem and enlisting the aid of, what you would call, certified medical and scientific specialists, he left it in the hands of Mr. Shadowcast to solve. Being that, to the best of my knowledge, Mr. Shadowcast is neither a doctor nor a scientist, how was he to solve the problem on his own without the support and assistance of a more knowledgeable government' My campaign suggests that the government would benefit more strongly from getting to know its people and this city better rather than trying to reshape it into an image of what it is not.

Fenner: I'm not sure I see your point, Mr. Driscol. You boast of conducting an open-door policy. But since day one, Governor Simon has expressed exactly that.

Driscol: Oh aye. The open-door policy. A door is a portal between two adjacent rooms, though, isn't it' Governor Simon's door may be open, but how often has he himself stepped out of his room to walk amongst the people" Where has he been seen outside of his office other than the Outback or the other dueling venues" And even there, sparingly. That fancy ball he had, during which occurred the greatest natural disaster this realm has ever seen — so he claims — not withstanding, Governor Simon has made very few public appearances that go beyond his own personal concerns. And Rhy'Din, as I keep telling you, Mr. Fenner, is a self-sufficient city full of independent and able-bodied citizens. It isn't likely that the people are going to take their concerns to a figurehead when they believe, first and foremost, that they are capable of resolving their grievances on their own terms and in their own time.

Fenner: Now, you're talking about a union, right' In your campaign commercials, you seem to imply that the strength of the ordinary citizen is more important than the strength of its government combined. Furthermore, it could be argued that you find the policies the present government enforces redundant and useless. But did it ever occur to you that the reason for that governmental regulation is to account for the shortcomings of an otherwise anarchical, or, let's call it, sociologically-based society' For your method of? we can't even call it government. Let's call it "coexistence." For that method to work, the adult population must actually be fully adult; emotionally, intellectually, and morally. How do you know this kind of "coexistence" won't falter for the same reason democracy falters" You cannot deny that the population at large has thus far failed to demonstrate consistent maturity without which the socio-political life of nations remains a haphazard, or even hazardous affair.

Driscol: Laughter. There you go thinking so unlike a Rhy'Din citizen again. Darien, once again I feel the need to remind you that the government that exists in Rhy'Din now is still so very young and new. And it was on the shoulders of this very so-despised anarchy that you continue to mention from which it was lifted up and formed. Kitty Helston was our first Rhy'Din governor before Matthew Simon, and as I hear it the entire notion came up as equal parts joke and dare. Next thing you know, people are voting and putting her into a position of authority. Not once, however, did she use that authority to step on the toes of those strong stations of our society that have been in existence for decades before. Pause. You bring up morals, as if that as well is something that can be sanctioned by the government. For what is morally sound for, say, a dragon — which, I remind you, exist as citizens of our fair city as well — may be considered anathema to, perhaps, a dwarf. In a realm so incredibly diverse, how is one to decide what is just and fair for all without first knowing the all"

Fenner: So you're saying that, since the institution of our government, you have seen no improvements. None whatsoever.

Driscol: What I'll say, Mr. Fenner, is that since the institution of our government, I haven't seen anything change whatsoever.

Fenner: One last question, then, Mr. Driscol. This entire time you've been criticizing Governor Simon. What do you think of the other candidates"

Driscol: Laughter. I've only been playing Governor Simon's game against him where no one else has had the ....audacity. I've nothing against any of them personally, to be perfectly honest with you. Cor's a good man; I've known him for years. Marshall's campaign seems centered around either a really bad beer commercial or advertising for a frat party, but I don't know him well enough to say. Greyshott's in over his head, I think. The other two I know nothing about at all. What's more to say than best of luck to each and every one, and may the best man, or woman, win.

Fenner: Well said, Dris. I don't think I could have hoped for a better interview. Is there anything else you'd like to add on the record?

Driscol: I suppose my sponsors would probably like me to throw in one more "Remember Your Roots, Rhy'Din" before we're done. Laughter. So there it is.

Fenner: Good enough for me.

Darien Fenner

Date: 2010-04-11 16:44 EST
Hardcopy excerpt of an interview between Darien Fenner and Matthew Algiers Simon. Copies are available by request to the RhyDin Post.

Fenner: Governor Simon! We meet again. I suppose we may as well begin with the most important question of all. What made you decide to run for governor again this year" What would you tell the layperson on the street about your platform"

Simon: There are many reasons. I believe, that given the current crop of candidates, that I'm the one best qualified to lead this city. But that's not the main reason. As I said in a recent speech, I enjoy the Governorship. I enjoy its challenges, I enjoy being able to guide and to lead. I am deeply appreciative of the opportunities the citizens of this city have given me, to lead, these last two years. I want to continue to show them that they've made a wise decision. Not that I haven't made mistakes, not that I won't in the future. But as I've said, the mistakes I've made, I've learned from and haven't repeated. I've grown, I've changed, and those are two signs of effective leadership. As far as my platform, I'm going to continue on the same track - safety's been an important topic the last two elections and continues to be. Healthcare was an important topic in the last election, and the recent disease in Dockside showed us why it's important to be aware and able to deal with such a scenario. The Sanyumato storm and the damage it caused to the city, to many lives, would have been much much worse without the plans and preparations I've been able to implement over the last two years. Groups like the RASG, specialized units like the DART (Disaster Aid and Recovery Teams), who were instrumental in the Sanyumato recovery, didn't exist before I was Governor. We've made great strides in two years, but we're not perfect. We need to continue to refine and hone and position ourselves for even more growth and success. I believe I can keep us on point, as Governor.

Fenner: One of your fellow candidates has accused you of being out of touch with your constituents. He claims, "When concerned citizens petitioned asking how going to protect them from the evils of our society," the only thing you did was give the Watch new uniforms. And, quote, gave them new training. Do you argue that this was an adequate response to citizens' petitions, or do you agree with the candidate, who believes that the more realistic and fruitful course of action would have been to encourage other RhyDin citizens to take up arms and join the Watch"

Simon: Citizens are always encouraged, if they're so driven, to join the Watch. But, quite simply, not everyone's cut out for it. As I said not too long ago, I do not expect a person who specializes in surgery to make a great ship-builder. I don't expect a schoolteacher to effectively drain sewage. I don't expect that every single person is capable or willing to be an effective protector of this city and those who live here. I've heard calls to train and arm the entire population of the city, and that's simply not realistic, cost-effective, or necessary. Mr. Wystansayr, in the last election, proposed a very similar idea, without any real plan of action in how to implement it. Could we arm everyone" Maybe. Could we train everyone" Perhaps, but we would need to ensure the training was effective and worthwhile. Could we conscript people into the Watch' I suppose, but to what end" Those who choose to join the Watch do so willingly, and I would rather it remain that way. To force people into service would, most likely, mean that we wouldn't be getting their absolute best effort because it's hard to give one-hundred percent when you're forced into doing something you don't want to do. I'd much rather the Watch be a smaller more proficient service than a large and unproductive or unsuccessful entity.

As far as the uniform comment - the Watch has been given much much more than new uniforms; what would uniforms, in and of themselves, do' No, members of the Watch have been provided improved equipment, more efficient training, and have become much more capable and talented as a result than they were previously. I, by myself, cannot protect everyone from the evils that evil people would do. I would not expect any one person to be able to protect this whole city. I can, however, put systems and methodologies in place to effectively handle that protection. The Watch, the RASG, those are only parts of the effort. We all saw, with the utter tragedies that took place as a result of Proposition Thirty-Seven, that violence, even from ordinarily peaceful citizens, can take place. It's my belief that the violence would have been worse, that more deaths would have occurred, if the Watch had remained as it was when I was originally elected Governor. Was my response adequate" In some ways, yes. We've become better. In some ways, no. Violence still occurs, and my opponents, I'm sure, will happily point that out. But would violence disappear if they were Governor" I doubt it. Under my leadership, violence and crime has reduced, and we're continuing to make strides in lowering it further. That's what?s important, and what we'll continue to do. We'll get better at what we do, and where the the Watch is concerned, that means increased safety for us all.

Fenner: Another of your fellow candidates claims that your position in office has been afflicted with a kind of "stagnation." What do you have that's new to offer the RhyDin citizens"

Simon: New" Well, what I can't offer is free beer, wet T-Shirt contests, or eternal salvation. What I can offer is stability. Let's face it, this is a volatile city. For years there was unrest, interfighting amongst the districts, and a general uneasiness waiting for the next proverbial shoe to drop and destabilize things further. That began to change when Kitty O'Helston was Governor, and has continued to change in the last two years with myself as Governor. But my supposition is that's not a good enough answer for my opponents. They, and certainly some of the citizens, are probably looking for a flashy answer, something big and bright and, as you say, new. Perhaps a promise or two that sound good, but that I can't keep. I won't be goaded into that. This election, the Governorship as a whole, it's not about offering something new for newness' sake. It's about offering the best most adept leadership. It's about understanding of this city, of its people, it's about meeting with and learning with and from those people. It's about utilizing that knowledge to create plans and, more importantly, ways to capable and competently put those plans into action and meet the intended goals. I've proven I can do that, I've done it for the last two years. That may not be new, but it's what this city and its citizens need and deserve to continue to thrive and prosper.

Fenner: It's funny that you should mention "change," Governor Simon, because another of your opponents has made a claim that he has, in fact, seen no change in the time since the governorship has arrived. In fact, he goes on to say that the notion of the position, before yourself and Kitty Helston were elected, was equal parts a joke and dare. What would you say to the critics who believe that the position of Governor is useless, and that RhyDin is fine on its own"

Simon: I would point to the chaos that existed before the Governorship was put into place. Has Rhydin as a whole changed in the last three years" Yes it has, as it certainly would have regardless of whether or not the Governorship existed. But we need to ask ourselves if we would be in the same position we are now without the office" I believe the answer is no. I believe that the Governorship has allowed the city to grow and change in ways it would not have prior to the establishment of the office. I'm sure you'll find arguments, some credible, and some not, on both sides of the fence. Proponents and opponents of the office can point to statistics to, as it were, prove or disprove the usefulness of a Governor. I can't speak to Ms. O'Helson's motives, whether she or any other candidate chose to run as a joke or on a dare. I can, however, speak for myself. I certainly never have and never will treat the Governorship as a joke. On the contrary, I believe it's a benefit for Rhydin, and not just because I hold the office. If someone else, another effective, competent, and able leader were to be elected instead of myself, allowing the city to continue on a prosperous path, then I would accept that decision. I do not believe, however, that any one of my opponents this year is that person. If someone running for Governor can truly say they've seen no change in the city in the last three years, then they do not see this city as I do, they do not understand or realize the positive transformation we've undergone. We are not the same city we were three years ago. If someone running for Governor in this election cannot understand or see any change from then until now, I wonder at their ability to lead us for the next year and I would question their reason for running to begin with if they agree the position hearkens to little more than a farce.

Fenner: Another of your opponents has criticized your open-door policy, claiming that while you tout your readiness to accept any and all complaints or petitions from local citizens, you readily make yourself scarce from public events other than the occasional nightly duel. By doing so, he contests that you further detach yourself from the RhyDin populace at large. What would you have to say to the critics who claim that, while you are a leader of the people, you are not necessarily a "friend" of them"

Simon: I've actually been attacked on both sides of that coin by my opponents. One will say that I'm not in the public eye enough while another says I'm there too much. Yes, I own the Outback, one of the city's dueling venues. Yes, I participate in the duels. As far as public events are concerned, I'd like to know what events are being referred to. There are thousands of public events, depending on how broad your spectrum of reference, in this city every day. I'd like more specifics before answering that question.

As far as my readily avoiding the public eye or public appearances, that's a ludicrous and uninformed statement. I've met, both in public and private, many many citizens of and visitors to this city in the last two years. I've talked with them, not just to them or at them. I've listened to ideas, answered questions, and discussed innumerable topics, not just politics and policies. The people elected me to be their leader, that's what the Governor office is. It's a leadership position. I have not put myself on an unreachable pedestal, kept away from the citizens and ruled from some perch on high. I enjoy being with and talking to the people of this city. Some may consider that friendship, some may not. But I was elected to lead, and leaders cannot always be friends. Sometimes I have to, for the good of the city as a whole and not specific groups or individuals, make decisions that upset those groups or people. And I'm fine with that. Anyone who holds the Governor's office must be fine with that, must be able to command as a leader, not as solely and simply a friend. The two are not mutually exclusive, but, as Governor, the primary task is leadership. And I've proven myself time and again in that capacity in my military career and my civilian career, which includes my time as Rhydin's Governor. Am I a friend to Rhydin, to its citizens" Yes, I care deeply for them. I have a solid foundation and understanding of them. But I'm not afraid to lead them and I understand that the people are electing a leader when they elect a Governor. They expect leadership, not friendship. I believe I provide both, and that both are quite important in this role. But to put friendship above leadership" That's not what the Governor of Rhydin needs to or ought to do. I sincerely hope that each one of my opponents understands that and is willing and able to put leadership first, if elected.

End of excerpt. Further edit pending. Note: This interview has been edited to exclude slang and intonations for easier comprehension.