Topic: Feast of the Two Moons 2016

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2016-01-03 14:57 EST
The Feast of the Two Moons celebrates the one time in Rhy'din's year when both moons, Arabrab and Trebor, are clear and full in the night sky. It is regarded as a night of destiny, when omens and dreams give hints of what the year to come holds.

Magical Lanterns On the morning of the Feast, paper lanterns will be strung above the city's streets. Many of them are handmade by school classes or by families for weeks ahead of time, working together as a way of sharing in good fortune.

http://imageshack.com/a/img907/4231/xZC1kp.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img905/1210/tlEZyo.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img908/8537/wjuVEV.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img911/8184/qusIxc.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img633/3241/SsPh2n.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img903/5633/cIusL5.jpg

Many of Rhy'din's parks and gardens are also bedecked with the lanterns, adding a magical light to evening performances or a simple stroll through the trees.

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/2529/4n1oDM.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img903/1723/Y1eOip.jpg

The lanterns shine for just this night, and are burned in the morning. Legend says that good fortune will follow all year for any home where a festival lantern is burned in the hearth.

Fortune Telling

When both moons are shining full, many of the cultures and peoples found in Rhy'din believe that Fate's will can more easily be felt. Thus it is that on the Feast of the Two Moons, fortune tellers of all types can be found, palmists and cartomancers and seers, along streets and in plazas agross the city. Whether for fun or truly searching, all are encouraged to take a look at what the future may hold, in celebration of the day.

http://imageshack.com/a/img911/2342/wea5Vw.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img911/2419/s6x0ON.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img907/989/Lf1H3x.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img905/1659/ghD1vo.jpg http://imageshack.com/a/img908/513/qTgx2f.jpg

Fortune's Food

It is the Feast of the Two Moons, and so food aplenty can be found. Round foods are most common, symbolic of the moons and of Fortune's Wheel. Small cakes, pastries and candies that can be eaten upon fortune sticks are especially favored. Be sure to partake of the many delicacies available.

http://cfc.polyvoreimg.com/cgi/img-set/.sig/Q3GI1iYfXis8KEjqrc9Bfg/cid/68702587/id/m4H8zydrSJ6S8GajmTSw0Q/size/c600x584.jpg

((There will be a live event on Saturday 1/9 at 9pm EST, in the Marketplace.))

((Credit goes to FioHelston for the original FOTM description posts from back in 2013, which I blatantly stole from when writing this up; she also created the image used in the Fortune's Food section. I would've just copied them directly, because they're very well done, but I felt I should put some effort of my own into it.))

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2016-01-09 20:57 EST
((For those unable to make the live event, or who want to describe their experiences of the day in more detail, feel free to reply in this thread!))

Reiko Souma

Date: 2016-01-11 22:30 EST

Better late than never! Reiko Souma had been held up with an earlier nap and had slept just a little bit too long. Upon her arrival to the Feast, she was pleasantly surprised to find that it was more of a festival than an actual feast. Finding two of the many she considers "family" wasn't difficult, especially when one of those present was roughly ten feet tall and a minotaur. As if she was celebrating the new year all over again, the native of Terra was dressed in this red and black dress outfit.* The crowds may have started to thin out some, but the fun has only just begun. With Andu lending his height for assistance, the pink-haired woman was able to retrieve a red and black lantern from the highest point on the lantern chain. Coincidentally enough, it happened to match her attire. Whilst she was at it, she retrieved a shiny light-blue lantern that Icer had been eyeing as well.

Some of the booths that Reiko had passed by on her way in were selling meatballs on sticks. At this point, she was already hungry and starting to get hungrier. Would her stomach actually rebel on her if she didn't eat something" Probably not but, for good measure, she led the way and bought four sticks of meatballs anyways. After all, that brief mind-screw by the Nexus tends to work up the woman's appetite something fierce.

Just as she lost Icer to the crowds for the night, Reiko took a moment to peer up at the night sky. This was her first time seeing both of Rhy'din's moons in position as they were. No picture was taken with her phone because it was a sight meant to be appreciated solely with her eyes. Besides, she forgot all about taking a picture of it with her phone. Oops.

Corwin has joined at this late hour with a mouthful of meatballs and a stick of meatballs in one hand. The crowds may have thinned out more, now at zero hour, but the spirit of fun hasn't quite expired. Visiting the fortune-tellers was a must! So Reiko thought. Imagine her surprise when the person working booth turned out to not be a Rhy'din local, but her own priest from their destroyed village of Schian'tlo on Terra, Monsignor Pitra!

Traditional fortunes in the villagers' belief in Fate on Terra carry on a ritual of sorts that may be a bit on the unique side from what Rhy'din locals are accustomed to. One who should be curious enough to approach Monsignor Patri's tent will have stepped inside to find a table with four candles lit, one on each corner of the white tablecloth-covered table. A tan-skinned man with extremely short white hair is sitting behind it, wearing a blood-red robe with a broad black collar extending down below the front of his waist. Simple black sandals adorned his otherwise bare feet as he kept his hands folded in front of him patiently, a small inkwell off to one side with a black brush sticking out of it. On the opposite end is a clear basin of water for visitors to cleanse their hands prior to their session. Hand washing is mandatory.

By customary practise, Reiko demonstrated what must be done by being the first of the four to step forward. She felt it necessary as a practitioner of the faith, after all, and rolled up her left sleeve after cleaning her hands. Rolling up the sleeve opposite of one's writing hand channels the energy required for the most effective reading. Ambidextrous" Not a problem. Monsignor knew what hand to choose.

Opposite of the "chosen hand," Monsignor held the free hand and picked up the brush that sat in the inkwell. With it, the sigil for the current life status was painted on the back of the hand (or the closest thing to a hand). Flip the hand over, and Monsignor painted the vital lines on the palm side once they're located. He chants in his local language to channel the energy that became more readily available upon painting the first sigil.

When the chant is finished, he's finished painting the vital lines. Reiko turned her hand vertical with her pinky finger touching the table so that the ink can dry. Meanwhile, Monsignor has taken hold of her right hand and painted two more sigils on the back of it. The number of sigils that's painted on the subdominant hand (the sleeve that's not rolled-up for those who aren't ambidextrous or skeptical enough to take precautions) depended on what Monsignor has picked up from the channeled energy. He summarised the personalised fortune thereafter, keeping an eye on the candles. Should they go out, misfortune exists in any part of someone's life. During Reiko's reading, all of the candles went out. This was evident of her misfortunes, some of which her priest was completely unaware even existed.

Summary of Monsignor Patri's readings:

1. Reiko Souma Primary Sigil: Peace - Secondary Sigil(s): Serenity, Consolation Fortune: Previous struggles have been allowed to pave the way for new and currents to transpire. A new war within takes the place of another war you've fought, along with new power. Harness them well, for they will aid you in winning this internal war. Hesitate not to lean on your new family and your future. These, along with your mentor, only wish to come closer than the arm's reach that you've allowed them in your life so that they may lend some of their strength to you.

2. Andu Kirost Primary Sigil: Harmony - Secondary Sigil(s): Family Fortune: A great sense of responsibility has been thrust upon your shoulders with hardly any concent. Do cherish the ones who call you their family, many that there may be, for you are a beacon of hope to them. Prepare for more added surprises to your own family, two in number at most. One will not be as you expect it to be. Alas, many blessings are in store for you this year.

3. Aster Bedlam Primary Sigil: Tranquility - Secondary Sigil(s): Nature, Strength Fortune: Through the elements lies your guiding force. Embrace them with your surrounding environment, as the fires of determination have and continue to burn brightly throughout your life's journey. Your strength lies in front of your eyes; the answers to the questions and sorrows you've attempted to conceal are soon to cross your path in the form of happiness like never before. Amazing strength will forever be with you.

With the end of the fortune-telling came the end to the Feast of Two Moons for this unusual "family" of sorts! Whilst nobody's else's candles ever went out, one of Aster's did flicker. That it held strong represents determination, unlike Reiko's four, which means she had given up on a few things she's not let onto. Those candles have been given to the bubblegum pink-haired woman prior to the group's departure. They had come at different times and from different places, and it was to different places at the same time that they would return.

*Model in photo for display only and isn't what Reiko actually looks like. All characters mentioned have received prior consent to mention.

The Redneck

Date: 2016-01-14 15:32 EST
The redneck was there, rubbing elbows and enjoying herself to the fullest.

Though she'd been in Rhy'din for very nearly half her life to date, the Two Moons was an event she never missed, never failed to celebrate.

Whatever portents she read, she kept to herself, though her smile never once faltered, her laugh never once flattened.

If at all possible, throughout the evening she'd do her level best to coax people to dance. And if that failed, she'd dance by herself.

At the end of the night she left her offerings in places with meaning to her and darted off into the city with laughter and cheer ringing in her wake.

NorseLady

Date: 2016-01-15 05:04 EST
Ebon strolled through the Marketplace under the mixed light of the two moons and the many lanterns that mirrored them. The jam session up on the stage was doing a Celtic-flavored rock number that was starting to segue into an electric gypsy dance. It was an interesting musical trip.

Shy arrives at the Marketplace with a pretty smile plastered on her face. She simply adores all of the lanterns, and the music sounds fantastic. She dances her way over to a food booth and purchases something-on-a-stick. Something sweet, that is!

"Good evening, Shylah." Ebon nodded to the Viking as she danced by.

Having promptly returned with her food item she says, "Godt kveld, Ebon! Hvordan har du det?"

"I am well, Shylah. And yourself?" He spied Icer passing and gave the little dragon a nod.

"Alive og fint! Og hungry for something sweet!" Softly chuckles before she takes the first bite of the chocolate confection. "Mmmmm." Shy does love chocolate! Turns to see who received a nod from the Governor, and waves to the blue dragon. "Greetings, Icer. Hvordan har du det i kveld?"

"Evening Shy." A grin to the Norsewoman. No fangs shown. "I am well enough."

"I am glad to hear that information." Nodding to Icer. "Both of you should try one of these," says as she points to her dessert-on-a-stick. "They are simply marvelous!"

"What is it?" There was so much good stuff tonight that he hadn't come close to sampling everything.

"So long as it is nae chocolate. I am allergic." Wriggling her snout a bit.

Addressing the Governor's inquiry she states, "'Tis a sjokolade ball of kake med vanilla icing og sprinkles." Her light blue gaze drifts to the dragon. "You are" Then you do not want to eat one of these. Oh! There is a bit of fudge in the center, as well." Two more bites and the dessert is gone. "Na I kan use a glass of melk. Have either of you seen any vendors selling that beverage?" Glances between Ebon and Icer.

Andu lumbers into the area of the feast/festival.

"I have nae yet." Peeking down the cobbled road toward the minotaur.

How can anyone miss Kirost amongst the denizens of RhyDin" He is quite tall, you know. A wave is sent to the Apis as she calls out, "Godt kveld, Andu. Hvordan har du det?"

Andu smiles and waves to Shy and Icer. "Blessed Two Moons, Shy, Icer. I am good, Shy. How about you?"

"Happy two moons, Andu." Purring.

Shy is currently licking vanilla icing off her lips. When she finishes she smiles ever-so-prettily and gives her standard response, "Alive og fint, and in need of some kald melk. I am off to find it na." With a wave to them both the female Viking soon vanishes into the crowd, and is nearly knocked over by some rambunctious teenagers. "Uff da!" Good thing she has quick reflexes and was able to dodge them!

Andu chuckles. "I think I see a booth with that in that direction, Shy." Height helps in seeing, as well as being seen, as evidence by Andu pointing toward said booth.

Shy will eventually locate the booth. Now instead of receiving her order in a glass she must purchase a small, blue-and-white carton that has '1% Lowfat Milk' printed on three sides. The fourth side contains Nutrition Facts. A bit of a surprise, but it is a small matter to her, especially since she is quite thirsty. And milk always tastes so good after eating chocolate. At least in her opinion.

With her beverage firmly in hand she takes a casual stroll around the marketplace, peering at the array of colourful lanterns for a third time. Shy is contemplating which one she will take home. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Perhaps she will grab something else on-a-stick to eat while she mulls it over. After all, she sees no reason to pass up food. Another swallow of milk is downed, and she just mayhap be sporting a white mustache.

Considerably later than he had expected to be, Victor showed up at the sight of the festival and began to make towards Shy. Other people got nods along the way.

A particular scent wafts the Viking's way, and she smiles wide; dimples deepening, naturally. Shy knows that scent without a doubt, and turns to look for her husband. There he is! She is so happy to see him! "Godt kveld, min elskling. All is well I hope?"

"All is well, finally." Victor agreed with a smile. He gestured about the area. "What is going on now?"

Eyebrows raise after he asks that question. "Hva do you mean' Do you not recall the handbill I showed you?"

"Yes, but I had rather expected crowds. I realize I am late, but it seems mostly over."

Shy glances around at the other denizens wandering about the area, including those juvenile delinquents who keep running around trying to get into mischief. "It may have thinned, but there are still plenty milling about. The vendors are certainly busy, and there was a crowd o'er at the stage where the musicians are located. Perhaps the fortune tellers are occupied" Some have set up tents, but I have not gone to one yet."

"What have you already done here?"

Gulps down another swallow of her chosen beverage before she answers the Garou's question. Shy is unaware of her milk mustache, and frowns when a female passerby points at her and snickers. That irked the seafaring warrior enough for her to call out, "You should not laugh at me lady. Wipe off some of that make-up you are wearing! Hva are you, a clown?" Snorts.

"I read somewhere that clowns all have their own specific painted face look."

Slide of light blues to her husband after he makes that comment. However, she first responds to his inquiry about what she has done so far. "I ate a sjokolade dessert on-a-stick that tasted like a kupkake med a fudge center, listened to some celtic musikk, purchased this carton of melk, spoke med the Governor and others, danced a bit, og was trying to decide which lantern I want to take hjem." As to his remark on clowns, "Ja, well na, I could have asked if she was a harlot, instead."

"Every where you go, making friends." Victor gave a little nod to her actions tonight.

Smirks at him. "Well na, I do not understand hvorfor she pointed at me and laughed." Harumph's. The female Viking seems to be a tad touchy these days. Usually, she would have simply ignored the woman, or given her the international symbol for 'bird' instead of shouting out.

"You have a slight discoloration on your upper lip."

Eyebrows knit. "Discoloration?" Reaches up to touch her lip, and in doing so dabs some of the milk away. Looks at the wetness on her kidskin-encased fingers. "Oh! Well Hel."

He pulled a kleenex from out of a pocket, offering it to his wife.

"Takk, kj'reste," softly says as she takes the tissue and uses it.

"You are welcome, my heart." He answered quietly.

"Do you see a lantern you like more than the others, Victor?"

"To burn?"

Nods. "'Tis the tradition, ja." She has already espied the one she wants and begins heading in that direction. A final gulp of milk, then the empty carton is tossed into a trash can that she passes along the way toward that prized lantern. "Two points!" Merrily chortles at the private jest between she and her husband.

He went with his wife and chuckled when she made the shot. "Indeed. Do we each need one?"

And then she comes to an abrupt halt. A small detour is made to the vendor selling meatballs. Soon she has not one, but *two* sticks; one in each hand, of course. Big meatballs, and do they ever taste fantastic! "Hva" Meatballs?"

Two for her. Hmm. He got himself one meatball and paid the vendor. "Something I want to burn..."

Shy is scrutinizing the Garou while munching on that first meaty ball of hamburger.

"There is a red glittery thing I would be happy to toss into a fire." He pointed at one such lantern.

Glances to the one he indicates. "Because you do not like it?" Perhaps picking up on a hint of distaste.

"Right. Is that the wrong criteria?"

"I do not know. Hva do you not like about it' 'Tis quite pretty the way it sparkles."

"Glitter."

This is news to her. "Hva is so wrong med glitter?"

"I do not care for it to be covering any random thing."

"So you do not care for min Jul ornaments that have glitter on them?" A frown begins to form.

"Which do you mean?"

"The two round red ones, the two round blue ones, og the two round green ones that have sn?flake designs on them, Victor."

"Glitter can help to make things look snowy. One of its few uses, I should think."

How tactful of him! He dodged the proverbial bullet with his quick-thinking. "I still tenk that red lantern is pretty."

"I agree. It shall look very pretty as it burns." He went and got the red glittery lantern, wondering vaguely if it meant something about the women about here. Probably not, tonight.

"I want that purple one!" Points to it with the stick that used to have a meatball on it.

He obliged Shy's request by getting the purple one as well. "Then we both have one."

"Takk, Victor."

"You are welcome, Shy." He hefts his lantern higher. "And I am ready to go. And burn this thing."

"Not until the morning, as tradition dictates." Pauses before telling him, "You know, min elskling, some of the children in this city made these lanterns. You could be holding one of theirs right na."

"Fortunately for them, I am going to be hiding the evidence."

Tsks. "I am sure they know the lanterns are to be burned." Whatever else Shy says to Victor is lost to other ears as the couple leaves the marketplace.

(adapted from 2016-01-09 RP chat log)