Topic: Eye of the Beholder - Remembrance Day 2011

FioHelston

Date: 2011-08-21 13:38 EST
Remembrance Day is a RhyDin public holiday celebrated on the fourth Wednesday of every August. This year, Remembrance Day falls on Wednesday, August 25th.

Remembrance Day is a time for us to remember and honor those among us who have fallen or who are missing in action. This includes not only those lost in battle, but those who have succumbed to the vagaries of time, fallen victim to crime or magical mishaps, or who have been taken by the Nexus. It is a time for peoples of every race and culture in the realm to recall lost loved ones and to honor their memories.

How we do this varies among peoples, and is a very personal and individual thing.

((Let's hear your stories! Post IC as a reply in this thread about how your character celebrates the day. It could be a reminiscence of the lost loved one, a description of how your character will honor them, or a description of how the dead are memorialized among your character's specific culture. The choice is yours.

This thread will be open through the end of the day on Saturday, August 27th, and then it will be locked for submissions.))

Issy

Date: 2011-08-24 09:30 EST
While the city's bell towers and horns were ringing out in remembrance of the city's fallen heroes, and temples were leading worship services to reflect on the sacrifices of war, the outbreak and other circumstances, Isuelt DeRomiano was holding her own ceremony. Since coming to RhyDin, she had found Remembrance Day to be a chilly memento of those that she had lost.

Beyond the Southern Gate, the Scathachian found a quiet time during the mid-afternoon to escape her duties within the city; she did not stop by the Inn, nor the Marketplace, nor the hospice. Securing a small patch of woods south of the city, she knelt in the soft dirt and put down the leather pouch that was hanging at her waist. Her gloved fingers began to dig in the mossy earth until she was satisfied with the modest depth.

The Judge sat back on her heels for a moment just then, listening and recollecting.

Opening the bag, she produced a carefully wrapped orchid. Then another, then another, then another; until she had seven fragile violet flowers laid out on the soft ground. Isuelt removed her gloves with a solemn reverence and placed them behind her. With each blossom, she held it between her naked fingers and quietly said their name. One father, one mother, four brothers....Daddy. Mum. Willac. Gareth. Eric. Luc. Lovingly, she consigned each orchid to the small hole she had dug before moving on to the next. Her family had been avenged many years ago, still on this day, the wounds seared deeply.

There was one blossom left, one perfect violet orchid. She held it between her fingers for a moment longer and then whispered the name of her husband. It was another lifetime ago, but on certain days, it felt as fresh as the moment he had fallen by her side in battle. Meredith DeRomiano. Finally, she deposited the flower in the ground with the others, and outstretched her hand in a Scathachian blessing over the fallen.

She knelt there, sitting on her heels, in the forest for some time before she pushed the soil back into place over the small grave of fragrant flowers and stood up. She brushed off her knees and boots and turned back to rejoin the road that would lead back to the bustling seaport city. More sullen and reserved than usual, Isuelt had one last stop before she rejoined her Sisters and tended to RhyDin's citizens. Her friend Jewell was waiting for her in the cemetery, and Isuelt had picked a gentle bouquet just for her.

Lucius DeAuster

Date: 2011-08-24 16:45 EST
In Carowyn, there was no one central holiday of remembrance; rather it varied from region to region with each culture celebrating in their way the memory of those passed beyond the Material. Lucius himself stood on no particular ceremony, though he did honor those who had touched his life. Garm, a stern father. Guardsman for the city of Straddleford on the continent of Darrath, he was the man who first taught Lucius the basics of the sword and the family. He had died lying on the walls of the city, gutted by a rusty blade while fighting back a raid by one of the numerous orc tribes of the Ridgedown Mountains. Marrian, the beautiful mother. A woman of modest means even after Garm's death, she had taught her children the meaning of the word caring. Peacefully passing away in her sleep, it had been a deathknight that ensured that she was laid to rest in honor alongside her husband. Francesca, the tom-boy younger sister. She held the spirit of adventure as much as her brother, having traveled into the wilds not long after Lucius had been ordained into the church of Leorn. Her ultimate fate was unknown, but Lucius fervently hoped she had died well.

There were others he considered, Sapphire's tomb he visited at odd times and old comrades-at-arms from both the light and dark. But one was brought to the forefront with news of the Remembrance Day being held in RhyDin. So after his meetings with city officials and a representative of the Scathachian Sisterhood on the ongoing efforts of the jointly-run hospice Lucius headed deeper into the city, making his way to the Red Dragon. Within, set in a place of honor over the door leading into the office, was a tomahawk. Lucius stood for several moments in quiet contemplation of the old weapon, the ebb and flow of the commons fading from view as he retreated into his memories of the man who would wield it with precision and gusto. Of the many people who had served behind the counter as a employee of the Red Dragon in those glory days, it had been this man and his wife that stood out the most as a leader, teacher, and to Lucius, as one he could call mentor.

Fayalki.

Reaching up, leather-covered fingertips reverently traced the tomahawk from head to haft, and perhaps it was good that the hood was drawn, for it kept any emotions that may be present half-hidden. "May the wind ever soar under your wings, old friend. And may your spirit always be in this place, for as long as I am here, you will never be forgotten."

Dominic Granger

Date: 2011-08-24 19:29 EST
"You know, if someone had told me last year that I'd be spending Remembrance Day in a mausoleum, I'd have laughed at them," Dominic mused thoughtfully, leaning back against one of the older tombs. "But then ....last year no one could have predicted what would happen."

He looked up at the plaques on the wall in front of him, each commemorating a member of his own family who had died before him. Raleigh Granger was here, as were his brothers and sister, and almost everyone who had come after them in the direct lines. But they weren't why he had come. No, his reason for coming was still shining white, as though it had been carved out of the pristine marble and place up there among the Grangers past only yesterday.

Gwendolyn Amarice Granger, nee Laurent. Beloved wife and friend. Born 14th December 1976. Died 4th June 2011. May she never be forgotten.

"Three months, Gwen. It's been three months, and I still can't believe it. Everyday I come home, and I expect to see you fiddling around with some new dye, or arguing with Humphrey about his stubborn damned pride. You wouldn't be very proud of me right now."

He swallowed hard against the lump in his throat, scrubbing ruthlessly as eyes that refused to stay dry, despite his promise to himself that he would not cry. That was the one thing she had always insisted on - graves were not meant to be wept over; they were there as a reminder to the living of the life that had now gone, and should be treated as such. Gwen had been so vehement about it, too. Put flowers on them, she'd say, or pour a bottle of whiskey, or whatever, but don't cry. They wouldn't want you to.

She wouldn't want him to cry, he knew. She'd want him to miss her, obviously, but not to let her loss derail his life the way it had. She'd be furious with him if she were here, absolutely incandescent at him for falling apart like a child.

"I haven't been back to work," he confessed to the silent stone. "I haven't been able to do anything much. I'm lost without you, Gwen. Fifteen years of happy marriage, and what do I have to show for it' A bedroom full of photographs and empty bottles, and a family who walk on eggshells the moment I enter a room. Well, apart from Gigi."

Gigi, the only one of his myriad cousins who had gone out of her way to drag him out of his suicidal depression with tough words and harsh truths. Gigi, who had spent the most time with Gwen when he was away, who had come very close to beating the crap out of him when he was drunk and incoherent. Gigi, who'd spent the last three months putting up with his drunken and self-pitying antics.

"I'm going to get my act together, Gwen, I promise. I'll make you proud of me again. There's a trip planned to one of the more technologically backward Earths soon; Professor Mycroft has been on my back about getting ready to go, since the tribal systems of Terra are my specialty. I'll stay for Ollie's wedding, of course - you'd like the girl he's found, a right proper lady and everything. She, uh, she helped me a bit ....gave me this poem I'm going to hang for you here. It was written by a Terran poet, a woman called Mary E. Frye. I hope she was right when she wrote this."

From his bag, he withdrew a beautifully framed piece of canvas, on which had been embroidered with painstaking attention to detail thirteen lines of heart-breaking poetry. Dom touched it almost reverently, nodding to himself as he re-read the lines.

"It helps, to read this when I'm getting down," he admitted to the cold, unfeeling stone that bore his beloved wife's name, rising to hang the framed piece beside the elaborate G of Gwendolyn. His fingers traced the cool marble, touching lovingly the carven shape of a name whose face he would never now see again, except in the many photographs that littered his home. His face crumpled, hot tears escaping as sobs began to wrack his broad-shouldered form.

"I miss you."

*~*~*~*~*~*

Do not stand at my grave and weep I am not there. I do not sleep. I am a thousand winds that blow I am the diamond glints on snow I am the sunlight on ripened grain I am the gentle autumn rain. When you awaken in the morning's hush, I am the swift uplifting rush Of quiet birds in circled flight. I am the soft stars that shine at night. So do not stand at my grave and cry. I am not there. I did not die. - Mary E. Frye

Riley ORourke

Date: 2011-08-24 20:22 EST
After leaving the stairwell that led up to the Zen Building's rooftop garden, Riley slipped off her shoes and curled her toes in the soft, moss-lined path that led to the Dragon Fountain, which stood opposite the stairwell's exit. She used the bamboo dipper that sat on the side of the Fountain to rinse her mouth and her hands in an abbreviated purification ritual before moving towards the shrine that sat in the middle of the Gardens.

The shrine was small, barely topping five feet in height and only about three feet in width. It was constructed of bamboo and roofed with dark green clay tiles. Inside were three tiers, each a foot and a half wide, meant to leave offerings or place statues upon. The top tier was occupied by Buddha himself, sitting atop a lotus flower, his face serene, eyes closed peacefully; the middle tier was the home to a statue of Kannon, the Bodhisattva of compassion and mercy. The goddess was seated on her dragon throne, holding a lotus bloom and the flask in which the Jōsui " the Waters of Life " reside. The bottom tier was home to a bowl filled with clean sand, into which incense sticks could be driven in offering to Buddha or Kannon, or any of a hundred thousand other gods and goddesses of a hundred thousand other faiths.

Riley took a moment to clean up the shrine, removing the dried coral-flower necklace from around Buddha's neck and the spent jasmine blossom bouquets at Kannon's feet. Then she knelt in front of the shrine and settled a small statue of Jizō Bosatsu, the childlike guardian of the dead, who was dressed in simple monk's robes and prayer beads, on the bottom tier, right next to the bowl of sand. She put a small, hand-crocheted red cap on the statue's head, an equally small bib fashioned from red cotton around its neck, and a pair of tiny red shoes next to it. In the bib's pocket was a hand-written note that read, "You are loved and remembered, my sweet baby boy. I miss you, Patrick." A Matchbox car " a black '68 Mustang fastback " and a tiny football went next to the shoes. Then with free-falling tears, she lit three sticks of incense " one for her, one for Rhys, and one for their son, Patrick " and drove them into the sand.

The Gardens were quiet, as if the trees and flowers and birds were respecting Riley's outpouring of grief. The only sounds were of Riley's japa mala beads clicking and her soft murmuring of the Heart Sutra's mantra - "Gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā." After she repeated the mantra 23 times ? once for each month since Patrick had been taken from her, she lowered her head and finally cried the tears that she had been denying for so long.

http://embed.polyvoreimg.com/cgi/img-set/cid/36123867/id/WCA3ZbfO4BG0oGXMkC5Q3g/size/x.jpg

Lusiphur Blood

Date: 2011-08-24 23:36 EST
In the hazy days after his confrontation with the mercenaries and getting Tasha safe but before the trouble that was to come, Luse went back to his old cabin in the great woods north of the city of Rhydin.

Upon entering, the musty odors of wood, dust and the past hit his nose like smelling salts. A lot of things would never be the same. Would never be like they were before. Would never be as special.

He dropped his bag on the lone table in the one room cabin and moved to the old chest at the foot of a flimsy aluminum cot he used as a resting place. He wasn't one for nostalgia normally, but now seemed the proper time. Kneeling, he unlocked the chest and opened the top.

All sorts of memorabilia were laid out in piles of no particular order in front of him. He had been around a long time. Too long, some said. Not long enough, others insisted. Still, he had met many people in his travels. Some more than others he wished were still around and able to inspire him to see past what Rhydin was.

He rummaged and took a few items out of the stash. Some keys to a great machine that was destined to fly one day, if its creator had any say in it. The best fireworks he'd ever experienced. The recipe to the greatest milkshake ever made. Notes of inspiration from a cute little Irish lass who was probably the sweetest person he'd ever met. A shaving of a bar he once knew long ago, given freely and with the hopes that it would be used to spawn another like it. These were just some of the things he collected from the chest and laid out on a simple linen cloth.

He wrapped all of those up save the fireworks and stood. Grabbing both the linen package, the fireworks and a bottle of whiskey with his free hand, he pushed open the door to the cabin and moved to the large log he had placed by the charred remains of a fire pit nearby.

He set the small linen package down on the ground by the log and moved closer. Popping the cork of the whiskey bottle, he poured a generous amount on the charred remains of the big logs, setting it aflame.

It took mere minutes but the fire pit was restored, roaring into being.

The elf took a swig off the bottle and sat on the voluminous log, staring at the fire. After a few more swigs, he tossed one of the fireworks in the flaming pit.

The flare shot straight at the sky and exploded in colors that were not meant for unworthy men to see. But he saw and he smiled. Memories flooded his mind as he watched the embers of the display fade away.

He threw another firework onto the fire with the same result. A flare shot up higher than most could dream of and then blossomed into a multitude of colors that rainbows would be envious of.

Another swig off the bottle and he truly smiled.

"Wish you were here."

Stormshadow

Date: 2011-08-24 23:53 EST
The black had been taking care of the hatchlings as she had been ever since her kins' disappearance. Once they were fed, she would move out of the lair and off towards the twin oaks that shaded the Shimmerscale cemetery.

The vile scent had long since faded from the hole where Alex had been buried. Still she would drop a shiny stone into the hole, before pushing the soil back into place.

Each other grave also would receive shiny stones settled upon them.

She would sit with her head bowed and green eyes lowered. Respectful of those that had gone on.

Amthyst Oak

Date: 2011-08-26 21:47 EST
It was very possible that it was mere coincidence that Amthy recollected anything of consequence"or anything at all for that matter"on Remembrance Day. She sat tucked comfortably on the wide seat of one of Ardane's double-hung bay windows. It over looked the woods. Trees: that was what she could see. If she strained her eyes and pressed up against the glass, there was the lake to the east. There was, of course, the sky that stretched endlessly; narrowing far beyond the scope of her vision. If she closed her eyes and listened, her Wind Sibs could tell her what lie in those far reaches in such detail she could imagine it. They could fill her ears with knowledge of things both big and small. The most inconsequential fact did not escape their collective notice. They were the Wind, and they saw, heard, and touched everything.

She wiggled backward until she rested against one of the angled panes of glass. Her regard turned from the sky to her hand: delicate and dirty. Her nails were chipped and dirt highlighted the crescent shape beneath. Amthy had been like them, too. Once. Her thoughts slipped away from that knowledge like a foot on an algae-covered rock. Her interest focused instead on a silver wrought butterfly with stained-glass wings. It sat poised for flight just beside her bare toes.

Amthy circled her arms around her legs and pulled her knees firmly to her chest. There were many things she would change, if only she could. Numbly, her heart lurched in her ribs. Hesitantly, she extended her hand and let the tip of her pointer finger play across the cool, gleaming curve of a wing. Gradient olivine hair fell forward to spill over her shoulders and obscured her face.

"For crying out loud, would you stop it already?" Cayt broke the silence as she plopped unceremoniously down just on the other side of the butterfly. Her worn riding breeches sent up a small cloud of dust. Tracks of dirt streaked on her pants and her blouse. She punctuated her words with a pert, and unexpected, flick of her fingers against the tip of Amthy's nose."I'll have you know you ruined what could have been a perfectly good ride"if I'd even made it to the stables." Cayt grumped. "Before I'd barely gotten out the door I was crying. I didn't even notice it until "Rora pointed it out. Then I tripped and fell off the porch."

Cayt picked up the butterfly and rolled it over in her hands. Amthy made a fist against her leg to stop herself from grabbing it.

"Not that I'm saying it's completely your fault. It's okay to cry, you know." Cayt told her. The brusque nature of her words softened to show the concern that hid beneath. "And I know you know how. Maybe it's time to just let go of it. Nothing you do for Mealla or Rory will change what happened for you. There's no going back, and there's no do-overs. Not even if you come back from the dead twice and become a farmer."

An unexpected chortling snort escaped Amthy as she looked at Cayt. Her amusement and surprise were clear on her fine Fae features. "Why do I get to be Willie in this story' Why couldn" I get to be you?"

Cayt held the butterfly up and admired the way the light brightened the glass. "Because I moved on and he didn't."

"He didn"ave "til the end o' time."

"It would be a shame if it took that long." She held the butterfly out to Amthy.

The Nymph-y Pix took the figure and rolled her lower lip outward. She balanced the butterfly on the tops of her knees. It fell lopsidedly into the valley between them.

"Just think about that, okay?? Cayt stood and patted the top of Amthy's head. Affection played up and down the link that connected them. Amthy's head bobbed beneath the weight of Cayt's hand, but her eyes stayed on the butterfly, as if she could see nothing but the glow of the metal framed wings.

Alain DeMuer

Date: 2011-08-27 11:56 EST
It was part of the job.

He'd told himself those very words at first, and been told it by a dozen others over the years. But what job' Freedom fighter, detective....baron? But it had all started sooner than that, hadn't it. Before any real or imagined duty, before the war started in his homeland, there had been one senseless death that reminded him how equally senseless all the others were.

Melisandre Claire D'Mourir had been beloved equally by her parents, her children, and even transformed her dangerous and calculating husband Charles into a doting fool in their years together. She taught her son kindness when Charles' anger drove Alain to match it; only years after her death would he remember her lessons, taking them to heart when he rebuilt a fallen nation.

In spite of her best efforts the bonds in the rest of her family were always strained, and she died knowing her husband and children would quickly drive each other apart. The sickness had been born with quiet dignity, letting Charles know first and her children only when they'd already surmised something was wrong. She spent her last months alive in a hospital bed, facing a window with the curtains drawn and fresh flowers on the sill.

She had a smile for Alain whenever he came to see her; he regretted that he grew to hate the smile, when they were the last she gave him.

Her grave in New Brittany had undoubtedly been destroyed during the war, and the newest marker with her name sat in a memorial garden in her son's Barony, one of hundreds remembered by the Newbreton survivors; but there was another marker in RhyDin that Alain visited on Remembrance Day.

His first paycheck in RhyDin had gone to rent, fresh clothes for Shannon, groceries, and a stone angel with his mother's name at the base. Before he became a man of two realms - RhyDin and the Barony - Alain had visited her here, and his other lost friends here, every Sunday after Mass. No guards or knights accompanied him, only the Baron with fresh flowers for those he'd lost.

He stopped in the cemetery's tall green grass and took a knee. Reached out to touch the angel, and as he had countless times before, cursed the cold stone that greeted him in place of warm flesh. There was a moment before he managed, "Hey, mom. I'm back."

Solange LeClerc

Date: 2011-08-27 15:23 EST
The calm winds of the evening and the bashfully setting sun allotted Solange to make her way to the freshly erected memorial markers in the Barony. While she made no secret about disapproving of most of the circumstances and events in this city, her heart softened upon hearing that it was Remembrance Day.

Wrapped in a midnight blue trench, her charcoal gray wool slacks peeked from beneath. Her chestnut hair was wrapped neatly in a bun at the nape of her neck so that the small-brimmed black fedora she wore at an angle covered her face to her satisfaction. She was wiser this time, abandoning her signature stiletto pumps for the block heels of polished loafers. Her steps finally found their way to a modest marker, gray and cool to the touch. She hadn't been here before, but Alain had told her that he had put it there. Chiseled simply in a block lettering upon the slab was the name: Lord Rolf Clarendon.

She knew there was no grave there, his body had been left in New Brittany after the assassination. There was a shiver than ran over her skin and chilled her bones. The fedora dipped as she bowed her head, remembering the day his life had ended. It was the beginning of the end. That was how she had come to think of it. Once the government officials succumbed to the frenzied plots and violence of the radicals, the world as she had known it crumbled. The chaos and anarchy that was birthed had forced the flight of many New Bretons, which had landed many of them here.

Her eyes looked to the left, seeing Melisandre Claire D'Mourir's marker. Alain's mother and the sister to Lord Rolf Clarendon. She wondered if he had been here today, or would he come later. His hours were so odd. Though such is the work for the man that Alain had become.

Solange was cold. Not the sort of cold that would be remedied by a hot tub or a steaming cup of tea. She was cold to her core, empty. She hated that feeling. The Attach' was much more comfortable being strangers with emotion; it enabled her to do her job properly. Her fingertips brought to her stained lips, she kissed them and then extended her hand to press her kiss to Lord Clarendon's marker.

"Jusqu'? la fin de la vie, mon amour. Je vais vous voir ensuite." And with that, she withdrew her fingers from the cold, hard slab and backed away to depart.

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2011-08-27 22:06 EST
A small firepit crackled on the rooftop deck of the Ilnaren townhouse, while the family sat beside it. Ebon and Phen had taken the divan, holding hands, while Azure sat on the deck to Ebon's left and Doran to Phen's right. As they watched the fire, they shared tales of friends and family past, for this was Remembrance Day.

When it was Ebon's turn, his voice choked a moment as he spoke of his childhood home, of the family lost there...

...of his sister, for whom Azure had been named, and his mentor Doran who was her brother's namesake...

...of comrades at arms in the Band, as they had called themselves, beside whom Ebon had fought and celebrated, before the incident that tore the Band asunder and sent him across worlds to Rhydin...

...of his heart-son, Bram, whom he had adopted while with the Band, and who had felt so abandoned by Ebon's vanishing that his love had turned sour until he eventually tracked the man to Rhydin and put him through torturous visions; yet still Ebon mourned the good soul he had once been.

Finally he came to those he had known in Rhydin since his arrival, and who were now gone through death or simply time.

"Your aunt—more or less—Ariana....she adopted me as a brother, and so we are part of the Bramble Bush, though I've lost contact with them over the years."

Azure looked up, sapphire-blue eyes wide. "Is she dead?"

Ebon shook his head. "No, I don't believe she is, but I've no notion of where she is now. I have faith that she and her family are hale and hearty somewhere." He chuckled, and took a long drink of his tea as the firelight played across his face. "As with your mother, I met her at the Red Dragon....oh, that was always the place to be, and so many names come to mind from those days. Tenders who gave of their time in such a thankless job....Basalt, ah, she was a good friend and sorely missed; I remember that she helped get me to care after Bram's attack, until you could get to me." He looked over at Phen and gently squeezed her hand. "Whenever I look up and see a reddish dragon flying in the distance, I wonder if it's her. Who else? Sid, though in fact I saw her recently, and that was a joy."

Fayalki, mentioned Phen through their bondlink while flashing the name sign she had crafted for the man.

"Ah, the Hunter! Fayalki was always ready with a smile and a drink while he was on duty, and he kept the peace so well with that tomahawk. Off duty, he was a true friend and his memory is well-honored by so many who have worked, drank, or simply visited the Red Dragon Inn over the years."

Then Ebon looked down at his hand. "There's one more I want to remember this night, another old friend who has passed on from this life. He was a cantankerous old dwarf, but a good one to have at your side in a fight or to share a drink and a story....and he crafted the rings that your mother and I wear to symbolize our union." Raising his mug, he looked up into the starry sky.

"To Hornfel."