Topic: Christmas Eve At The Grove 2012

Caroline Granger

Date: 2012-12-06 09:23 EST
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/RhyDinLittleTheatre/thehouse.jpg

Humphrey had decided that Christmas Eve at Maple Grove Manor this year would be a different affair. Oh, the redwood outside was still lit up bright as ever, and the decorations covered the house, but there would be no enforced sit-down meal. Last year had been full of tensions, one way or another, and with the family in its usual fluid state, he had decided to forego the annual torture of a table too big to talk to anyone at over dinner.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/RhyDinLittleTheatre/fireplace.jpg

No, this year would be a casual affair. The old house stood open from midday onward, spilling warm light out onto the frosted pathways and snow-covered grass, welcoming anyone who happened to drop by to spend a little while in the Granger seat of power. The main family room was set with a Christmas tree cut from the Glen, decorated by the family who lived in the manor and those who had stopped by to be roped into the laughing task, the floor around it piled with presents for little hands and bigger hands to dip into and add to as the day moved into night.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/RhyDinLittleTheatre/presents.jpg

Along one wall stood the dinner table itself, groaning under the weight of a myriad of little dishes, light finger foods to keep hunger at bay, everyone welcome to graze as they wished. From cold cuts of turkey and ham, to fresh baked bread, delicate vegetarian and seafood canapes, Humphrey's favorite bacon-wrapped sausages, and much more, there was something there to tempt even the most fussy of of appetites.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/RhyDinLittleTheatre/food4.jpghttp://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/RhyDinLittleTheatre/food3.jpg http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/RhyDinLittleTheatre/food2.jpghttp://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/RhyDinLittleTheatre/food1.jpg

Another table, smaller this time, stood against another wall, laden with the sweet goodies that make up a Christmas - with mince pies and cupcakes, Christmas pudding stuffed with silver sixpences, Yule Log, and stollen. Humphrey knows the sweet tooth runs in the family.

http://www.bakersjournal.com/images/stories/christmas_stollen.jpghttp://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/00/3/5/9/7672361839323760.gif http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oDSCDiQozok/SUvOLje-q3I/AAAAAAAACNQ/pSMMhYhspHk/s320/Star-Topped+Mince+Pies4.gifhttp://www.theforeverplan.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/christmas-pudding-on-red-tablecloth.jpg

And of course, it wouldn't be a gathering at Maple Grove Manor without far too much to drink, and plenty to suit anyone's tastes. Wines and spirits, mixers for those who wanted them, and plenty of the softer stuff for the little mouths that would be in need of something wet to wash down all that cake.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/RhyDinLittleTheatre/drinks.jpg http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/RhyDinLittleTheatre/drinks3.jpghttp://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/RhyDinLittleTheatre/drinks2.jpg

As day moves into evening, the party would move also, shifting into what has become Humphrey's inner sanctum. The study was decorated a little less profusely than the rest of the house, but still a fire was roaring in the grate, and couches and armchairs littered the space, providing much needed rest for weary feet after a long day.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/RhyDinLittleTheatre/study.jpg

Here was where the mulled wines and ciders come into play, and here also, was where Humphrey opened his special cabinet, producing liqueurs so rare and so strong they had sent many a Granger off to bed before they even knew they needed it. Coffee was also on hand, to perk up or to smooth the taste of those rare vintages, and while away the evening until Christmas came.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/RhyDinLittleTheatre/mulledwine.jpghttp://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/RhyDinLittleTheatre/irishcoffee.jpg

Everyone was welcome - Grangers, their families, their friends. The Manor house would stand open from midday until midnight, offering a place to congregate and welcome the part of Winterfest Old Man Granger liked best, in the manner he most enjoyed. With his family, be they blood or friend.

Happy Christmas!

((Every Granger, boy/girlfriend of Granger, child of Granger, friend of Granger, mild nodding acquaintance of Granger - you're all invited to drop into this thread if you'd like to! It'll stay open until Christmas Day, just like last year. Please have fun, and take pity on the old man - he loves having his house full of people!))

Gabrielle Bradford

Date: 2012-12-13 12:24 EST
Christmas Eve 2012

Brave was not a word most people would associate with Gabrielle Granger. But then, certain things had changed this year. Frank was gone. Cian was off gallivanting around the high seas with his mysterious new lady friend. It was just Gabi and Gordon in Beecham House this year. At twenty one weeks with twins wrestling one another for space beneath her heart, she couldn't get away with voluminous cardigans anymore, and for once, she'd decided not to. Warm in a form-fitting sweater dress, she made her way across the compound from Beecham House ahead of her father, fully intending to say her hellos, wish Humphrey a Merry Christmas, and then find a chair in a corner to hide in until Gordon decided it was time to take his daughter home again. That was the plan, anyway.

"Gabi! Hey, Gabi!"

So much for the plan. She paused in front of the open door to the main house, turning to find Dominic and Ashlyn racing across the snow-covered grass toward her, poking at each other as though they were still kids. And despite herself, Gabi smiled. It was good to see Dom smiling again, and Ash was always in high spirits, no matter what happened. They were coming in quite fast, though ...

At the last minute, Dom skidded to a halt, leaving muddy tracks in the snow as he reached out and hoisted Ash off her feet to avoid either of them slamming heavily into the shyest of the Grangers. As his sister kicked and laughed, demanding to be put down, he did so, offering to Gabi one of the gentler smiles that Dom was known for. "Happy Christmas, Gabi," he greeted her, leaning over to kiss her blushing cheek and taking opportunity to touch the bump no one had ever thought she would produce, at least not before getting married.

Before Gabi could open her mouth to respond, Ash had regained control of her own body parts from her big brother and flung her arms around her older cousin in an exuberant display of festive joy. "I can't believe there are gonna be so many babies next year!" she declared effusively, patting Gabi's expanding waistline as though it was a pet of some kind. "Are you really having twins?"

Unable to keep herself from laughing, however nervously, in the face of these very different but very Granger greetings, Gabi giggled, batting Ash's patting hands away from her midriff. "Yes, I'm having twins," she told the young woman, forestalling the next question with, "in April or May. But Jon's baby is due in February."

She slipped to Dom's other side as Ash squealed excitedly, relieved when the calmer of the pair gave his sister a shove through the doors and into the warmth of the big house. He held Gabi there for a moment, one finger against his lips. And a louder squeal echoed through the house, accompanied by an exuberant bark from the new doggie resident of the manor, as Ashlyn flung herself on Humphrey, Jon, and Victoria.

Dom laughed, shaking his head, and wrapped an arm around Gabi, squeezing gently. "How're things?" he asked her in his quiet tone, and she knew he didn't mean just things in general.

Drawing in a deep breath, she managed a half-smile for him. "Odd," was her answer. "It's too quiet at home, but we're trying to make it work. At least we know Cian's not gone for good."

Nodding, Dom's smile took on that uniquely sad quality he had developed in the months following his own wife's death, not even eighteen months before, and he hugged his shyest cousin into his side close, kissing her forehead. "It gets easier," he promised her softly. "I won't say it stops hurting, because it doesn't. But it gets easier to bear, I promise you."

Gabi nodded herself, smiling past the lump in her throat that always rose when she thought of her brothers ....one dead almost a full year, the other away on his adventures. Her hand touched reflexively against the swell of her stomach. "Where's your mom?" she asked curiously, deliberately changing the subject. "And Bells?"

Dom rolled his eyes. "Mom's insisting on bringing over all the presents by herself this year," he snorted with laughter. "Seriously, it's like watching an elderly ant pick up an entire beehive. And Bells ....well, she's got something else on this year, I think. She doesn't tell me what she's doing these days."

Gabi hugged him back, saddened that the rift in that side of the family was still as open as ever, but glad, too, that no one was going to be alone for Christmas. That was her abiding wish, and the reason Ennis had been invited around to Beecham House for Christmas Day. No one should be alone.

A voice echoed from inside the main hall. "Are you two coming in, or did Gabi decide to go into labor to get out of hugging everyone this year?"

Snorting with laughter, Dom grinned, giving Gabi a gentle tug over the threshold. "C'mon, kiddo," he invited her inside, drawing her from the cold to the warm and the bright festive greetings handed out by the family in residence at the manor this year. They might be the first ones there, but there was always a warm welcome for anyone at Maple Grove Manor.

Brynne Granger

Date: 2012-12-14 10:00 EST
Just like last year, the next group to arrive belonged to a part of the family who lived outside the compound, four of them crammed into a pokey little house on Greenham Way but determined to make their own way rather than rely on the resources at the Old Man's fingertips. And just like last year, the first warning they had of that arrival was a wild yell of excitement as six-year-old Lila came hurtling into the house, not even stopping to take off her coat before throwing herself into Humphrey's lap.

"Ooph ..."

"Merry Christmas, Grampa!"

As other members of the gathering laughed, watching Humphrey rescue his sherry while being hugged to within an inch of his life by an exuberant child, the rest of Lila's family arrived - Laurence and Elouise, her grandparents, and Brynne, her mother, trailing along behind in various degrees of enthusiasm for the outing. There was always a question mark about whether or not Madion would be coming along, if she was in town; whether it was her kind of thing or not, she was as welcome as anyone.

"Lila, put Humphrey down and take your coat off," Elouise ordered, taking charge of her little family as she always did. Brynne rolled her eyes with a grin, winking at her daughter as Lila reluctantly did as she was told, rewarded with a big glass of something ridiculously sweet from the little bar that had been left open by the wall.

The older pair settled onto chairs near to the Old Man as Lila took up residence on his lap once again, claiming the seat of honor before any other kids got there, falling to sharing news and gossip as Brynne drifted away to go and hide with Dom, Ash, and Gabi. There'd be time enough to do the rounds and mingle the way her mother insisted she did when more people arrived, but for now, Brynne was quite happy to perch on the arm of Gabi's chosen chair and start the business of drinking for two. After all, someone had to help the pregnant women in this family keep up, drink for drink, didn't they?

Correy Granger

Date: 2012-12-18 21:58 EST
"Turn there, at the gates," Correy pointed out the most obvious of places for them to turn considering there wasn't another turn off for another good five miles. Sitting back in the ancient bucket seat, he grinned as the sound of gravel crunched under the tires of the classic Pinto. He loved Christmas at Maple Grove. The lights, decorations, food and good company put him into a Christmas-y kind of mood. He watched Kenny's face, waiting to see his lover's reaction to the brightly lit up tree and house. It was just another bend in the road and....there it was. Correy's eyes lit up and he began to fidget in his seat. He was excited and anxious, not just to get there, but for the family to meet Kenny, and vice versa. "Well?"

He was wearing a pair of jeans, hiking boots and a hand crocheted sweater that Lala had made for him. He wore it in hopes to see her at the gathering. He missed her, and Gigi, and Jon and even Ollie and Humphrey. He played with the ends of the scarf, another Lala special, as they got closer to the Manor itself.

As the brightly lit tree came into view, overshadowing the house, Kenny's foot slid off the accelerator, letting the car grind to a halt as he stared at the house. They'd been driving through the grounds for what felt like an age already, with Correy pointing out other houses that belonged to this cousin or that cousin. Faced with Maple Grove Manor itself, Kenny felt his nerves ramp up higher. He glanced over at his boyfriend worriedly. "Are ye sure jeans are okay?" he asked for the umpteenth time. "Wouldn't take but a minute to change 'em, I brought a change just in case."

Correy looked up at the house with a childlike fascination. The lights sparkled in his blue eyes and he was beaming with happiness. He turned when Kendrick spoke and that smile faded a bit. He could see in Kenny's face that nerves were at work. "I'm sure. If I wore a suit, they'd think I'd gone even more mental." Correy chuckled at his own joke and laid his hand upon Kenny's shoulder. "It'll be alright, there's so many people coming and going and getting stuffed and getting so sloshed that they won't even know where they are tomorrow morning. And..." he leaned over to place a kiss to Kenny's cheek, "they're going to love you."

The Irish man's lips curved in a faint smile, visibly willing himself to calm down as he leaned into Correy's kiss against his cheek, setting the car back into gear to complete the drive up to the wide circle in front of the house. Cutting the engine, he gripped the wheel for a moment and relaxed, turning a smirk onto his lover. "If this is some kind o' trick t'get me int' your ol' bedroom, it'll go hard with ye, moonbeam."

Correy added pride to the list of emotions he was feeling that day. As he watched Kenny will himself to relax and finish the drive, Correy's grin came back in full force. "Oh, you'll see my old bedroom alright. But it's probably being used by a cousin or aunt or uncle or..." He laughed again and reached to ruffle Kenny' hair before opening the car door and nearly bounding out of it in his excitement. "Needless to say, until we return home, there won't be any hanky panky going on." Walking to the back of the car, he popped the trunk and lifted out the bag of gifts. "Unless you want to make a trip to the cottage to ease your nerves a bit."

Standing by the car, Kenny could hear the sound of the gathering inside, and felt a smile touch his face. This was something he could relate to. His own family was almost as meandering as Correy's, and though he'd only met Jon, he had a feeling the dynamics were going to be pretty much the same. He'd just have to steer clear of the inevitable arguments that would arise, circa What-He-Said-About-Our-Mary. He chuckled at Correy's offer of a side-trip, shaking his head. "You've got me here now, you'll just have t' be patient and behave yourself."

"I'll do my best." Correy promised, and hefted the bag over his shoulder like a too-skinny Santa Claus. The trunk was closed and he walked around to take Kenny's hand. He gave it a gentle squeeze and turned to look into Kenny's eyes. "Thank you for coming with me." It had meant a great deal to Correy. A year ago, at this time, when love was first blossoming between Kenny and Correy, there were whispers that Kenny was just a figment of Correy's imagination.

"Aye, well ..." Kenny cleared his throat, still a little awkward when it came to the loving displays between them. But he was getting better at it. "Can't ask ye t' come home with me for New Year if I don't get in there and make a fool o' myself in front o' your people, can I?" He grinned back; releasing his hand from Correy's to throw his arm around the younger man's shoulders, neatly filching the bag of presents in the same motion. He was going to need something to hide behind, after all.

Correy laughed, willingly letting go of the bag. Looping his arm around Kenny's waist, he led him to the front door. "I'd have gone anyway, to meet your family." Correy's brows raised a bit as he canted his head to consider Kenny as he spoke. He knew his family was a formidable force to be reckoned with and admired Kenny for being willing to meet them as a whole.

"Remember you said that when you've got six Doherty women gathered around you," Kenny snorted with laughter, letting himself be led easily. He loved his mother and sisters, but they were a bit much all in one place, even for him. "You'll have to go to church, too. Ma likes showing her family off when we're all in one place." He winked down at Correy, releasing his lover to let the Granger lead the way into the main room, from which filtered the sounds of people talking and laughing, and children playing.

"I'll make the sacrifice," Correy laughed and stepped into the main room. He paused just inside of the door, slowly taking in the ornate decorations. He'd been to every Christmas get together since he was a child, but the splendor never ceased to amaze him. The moment didn't last long, and he began to walk towards the large tree that took up a corner of the room. "Let's get these under the tree so we can eat, drink and be merry."

Correy hadn't got more than a few steps into the room, Kenny trailing along behind him, when a small shape barreled out of the throng and knocked into his hip, holding on in what could have been a hug. Lila beamed up at him, her mouth sticky with mince pie and icing sugar. "Hullo, Cossie!"

"Oh my gawd!" Correy over reacted, lurching to the side playfully as he got barreled into. "Is that a Lila?" He swooped the girl off of her feet and proceeded to lick her cheek. "Lila, I'd like for you to meet the best guy to ever come from Ireland. This is Kendrick." He turned them so that Lila could look at him upside down, cradled in his arms.

Correy Granger

Date: 2012-12-18 22:00 EST
Across the room, Brynne looked up to make sure she knew who her daughter was accosting, smirked, and choked on her glass of whiskey, turning back to her conversation without a second glance. In Correy's arms, Lila giggled wildly, wiping her mouth on her wrist before offering Kenny her patented melt-them-all smile. Even upside down, it worked - Kenny melted. "Pleasure t' meet ye, Little Miss Lila," he greeted the little girl, smirking at the horrendous way she pronounced Correy's name, and shook the sticky hand that was offered to him. Lila looked back and forth between Kenny and Correy, her small face screwed up thoughtfully. "Is you Cossie's cuddle-friend?"

From across the room, Correy gave Brynne an up nod, and then turned his attention back to Kenny and Lila. His brows went up in surprise at the little girl's question and he flipped her up and onto his shoulder. "Now what is a little girl like you knowing about a cuddle friend?" With Lila over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes, he reached to take Kenny's hand and introduce him to the various cousins, aunts and uncles. He searched for Kaylee, desperately hoping to see her in the throng of merry makers.

"Mummy says if you're not married but you're with someone all the time, they're your cuddle friend." Lila imparted this wisdom from over Correy's shoulder, and giggled as Kenny tweaked her nose, following along behind them with the bag of presents securely in hand. He, too, looked about as he was paraded in front of innumerable cousins, aunts, uncles, and even the terrifying prospect of the Old Man, catching glimpses of Jon and his wife, and not seeing Kaylee anywhere. But then, they hadn't really been expecting to see Kaylee today. She was still on Earth, doing whatever it was she did.

"Your mummy is absolutely right." Correy stopped near Brynne and flipped Lila off of his shoulder, setting her onto her tiny feet. "And yes, Kenny is my cuddle bunny." He gave the girl a pat to her rump, and then righted himself. Only then did he realize Kenny was still carrying the gifts. "Let's get this load off of you so you can have a bite to eat and nab a drink. You'll need it when you meet Gramps." Though Humphrey wasn't his grandfather, Correy always referred to him as such. "Come on," he turned and led Kenny to the Christmas tree.

Offering a nod and a smile to Brynne as she took back custody of her child, Kenny was only too happy to be drawn away from the groups toward the Christmas tree itself. He leaned his shoulder against Correy's as they crouched to unload the bag. "It's like McNamara races in here," he breathed laughingly. "Only I dunno who's winnin'."

"Like what?" Correy laughed with Kenny as they placed the brightly wrapped gifts under the tree. If it meant chaotic, then Kenny was right on the money. Granger family get togethers were rare and always filled with children rushing about and adults standing about laughing at the children's antics. When the last gift was settled under the tree, he stood up and led Kenny to the doorway that led to a hall. The mandatory mistletoe was dangling from every doorway, this one seemed a lot less crowded than the others.

"Chaos," was Kenny's succinct answer as he was pulled onto his feet, narrowly avoiding stepping on a small person he had been assured was male, but whose mother seemed to think ringlets on a boy was cute. Drawn to a quieter doorway, he didn't even need to glance up to know he'd been positioned carefully under the mistletoe. A snickering smirk touched his lips. "Thinkin' up excuses for a snog now, moonbeam?"

Correy put his hands to Kenny's waist and pulled himself closer. "Always thinkin' up excuses for a snog." His smile was wide and his gaze tender as he leaned in for a gentle kiss. The kiss was short, but sweet. He didn't want to embarrass Kenny in front of his family. He knew Kenny was still skittish about public displays. "So, hungry?"

Kenny, on the other hand, wasn't really going for gentle. He'd been asked three times already if he had a young lady by various older members of the Granger family, and this was a perfect excuse to clear that misapprehension up in a single move. Thus, the kiss Correy got went quite a bit further than gentle or short, despite his aversion to showing off his heart in public. Drawing back, he patted Correy gently on the head. "Aye, but let's have some food first, shall we?"

"And you told me to behave," Correy laughed and happily led Kenny towards the buffet and a whole new group of family members. "Take notes," he whispered as he handed Kenny a plate. "There might be a quiz later," Correy teased. Kenny's message via the possessive kiss was noted, processed and received in an indifferent sort of manner. Straight, gay or purple, Kenny was now an official part of the Granger clan; whether he liked it or not.

"I should hope so, it's not Christmas without naff party games," Kenny chuckled, loading up his plate with enough food to keep him going for quite some time. But it felt good, to feel the attitude of the company around settle him into the "family" slot. One thing he missed most about home was having his family all around him. For a year, he'd been missing that, and now he realised he had it back again, all thanks to the cheeky chappie bouncing along the buffet table next to him.

Correy Granger

Date: 2012-12-18 22:04 EST
Correy laughed out loud, proud of how Kenny eased right in with the rest of the looney birds, himself included. His plate mounded over, he found a place for them to sit so they could eat with their plates on their knees and mixed drinks beside them. "Not so bad, so far?" He'd still not introduced Kenny to Humphrey.

"Well, no one's tried to make me wear a silly hat or suggested I really want to make a snowman with the kiddies, so that's a plus," Kenny laughed through a healthy mouthful. He could just see, through the milling people, the Old Man sitting near the fire, chatting animatedly with someone unseen. "He's not so bad as you make out, is he?"

Correy lifted his head and followed Kenny's gaze to Humphrey. He considered the patriarch of the family for a moment, and then shrugged. "He's good to us, but he can be a bear. Mostly I think he likes for somebody to not back down from him." He smiled then and turned his head to chuckle. "You're not nervous, are you?"

"No." Kenny swallowed a gulp of something shockingly pink and ridiculously alcoholic, glad he wasn't going to be expected to drive home again tonight. "I am nervous." He smirked at his lover fondly, patting his knee. "He's havin' a good time. Why bother him with me?"

Correy leaned to bump his shoulder against Kenny's. "Because if I don't, he'll hound me for the rest of my life that I think I'm too good to introduce the love of my life to him." He turned a boyish grin on Kenny then. "And I'm not too good, and you're very good, so you're gonna meet him."

"I don't have t' sit on his lap, do I?" The look on Kenny's face was comically dismayed at this thought. There were a dirth of dirty old men in the world, after all. Blue eyes twinkled teasingly as Correy as he smirked again, taking half a mince pie in one bite.

"No, I think he draws the line at about 45 pounds." Correy chuckled. "He won't touch you except to shake hands. He's not overly touchy feely with anybody but the babies." Speaking of babies, he caught a glimpse of Caroline carrying Jack somewhere and he waved. "Besides, remember the masquerade party?" He lifted his brows and turned his attention back to Kenny. "Not going to make you feel that way, ever again."

His assurance brought a warm smile to Kenny's face, his eyes following Correy's in time to see someone who looked vaguely familiar lift a baby in the air and wave his pudgy little arms. He snorted in amusement. "Your family is pretty amazing', y'know."

Correy watched as Caroline had Jack give them a friendly wave. "Yeah, they are. We're not perfect and we fight more than most families do, but I think that we pull together when we have to." Correy looked around again, his eyes becoming misty at the memory of loved ones no longer present. It only lasted a few moments before he impetuously leaned over to kiss Kenny's sugar frosted lips. "You're pretty amazing yourself."

"Hardly. M'just a bog-trotter who got lucky." Kenny chuckled, patting Correy's cheek a little harder than was strictly necessary, and finished off the contents of his sweetly alcoholic concoction. "C'mon, then. Let's meet the ol' devil and get it over with."

Before Correy could get out that he thought that he was the lucky one, his cheek was patted. "Oooh, getting rough. I'll remember that later." He waggled his brows, finished off his drink and then stood up. "Alright then, let's meet the ol' devil." He laughed, holding his hand out for Kenny to take. Not overly worried about the empty plates and glasses, there were servants galore on hand.

Dragged onto his feet, Kenny found himself tugged through the mingling mass of people, introduced to a few more faces familiar and otherwise, before being drawn to a halt in front of Humphrey Granger. The Old Man of the house didn't look particularly imposing in that moment, settled as he was with a party hat over one eye and Jack waving his pipe around and repeatedly hitting his great-grandfather in the face with it.

It was difficult to keep a straight face when Jack was happily hammering out Humphrey's profile. It took all of two seconds for Correy's humored grin to reappear on his face. "Gramps, I'd like you to meet Kendrick Laurence Doherty." He turned slightly to look up into Kenny's face. "Kenny, this is Humphrey Granger." He then bowed slightly; it felt like the formal thing to do.

Kenny snorted at the sight of Correy bowing to his own great-grandfather, and nodded his head to the Old Man politely. "Pleasure t' meet ye, sir," he said, his accent somewhat thicker in self-defense, just in case the elderly gentleman took against him. In the moment just before the pipe went up Humphrey's nose, the Old Man managed to grab hold of it, laughing at his great-great-grandson's antics. He raised his head, smirking at Correy and giving Kenny a quick once over. "Not such a figment of the imagination then, eh?" His hand thrust out, quick as a snake, and seized Kenny's outstretched palm, shaking him firmly by the hand. "All right, introductions over. Unless you have a large glass of something bad for me, you can run away again now."

"No figments," Correy agreed with a laugh. He was beaming proudly as Humphrey gave Kenny the once over and then dismissed them both. He managed to sneak a kiss to Humphrey's cheek without getting smacked by Jack the Piper. "I'll go get you a drink, or have one brought. Merry Christmas, Gramps!" He took Kenny's hand and led him away. "He likes you," Correy affirmed with a nod.

Relieved, Kenny nodded to Humphrey again. "Merry Christmas, sir, thank ye!" Pulled away, he threw his arm over Correy's shoulders and squeezed. "Old men always like me, hadn't y' noticed that from work?" His grin was just slightly evil.

"You are being so naughty," Correy laughed with a shake of his head. "So is that why old man Higgins always gets a twinkle in his eye at bath time?" Correy teased Kenny with a giggle. "So, do you want to go see my old room now" I promise to keep my clothes on."

"Aye, but what about mine?" his lover laughed, ruffling his hand through Correy's carefully coiffed hair. "Nah, we can stay down here a while. It's nice." He turned, looking around at the disparate groups, the slightly garish decorations, the darkness falling on snow outside the windows. "Feels like home."

Correy led Kenny to a window and stepped in front of him. He pulled Kenny's arms around his waist. "I'm glad you feel that way," he spoke somewhat softly; just enough so Kenny could hear him. "This has always been home to me." The sun had set and the snow was glistening with the fairy lights reflection. Turning his head, he placed a soft kiss to Kenny's jaw line. "Love you."

"Aye, I know," Kenny murmured in answer, hugging Correy warm against him. Christmas was a time for family, and though his own were a world away from the here and now, he couldn't help feeling honored to have been accepted as a member of a new family, here in the strange city he now called home.

Correy sighed happily, leaning back against Kenny's chest. The party swirled around them in a sea of laughing, happy faces and Correy felt like they were in the eye of a storm. Calmness filled his soul for the first time in a very long time. He was home, with his family and their loved ones. He couldn't think of a better Christmas present than that.

(Huge thankies to the fantastic and talented player behind Kenny. Love ya!)

Dr Greenthumb Granger

Date: 2012-12-19 23:36 EST
Some people chose the New Year to reflect on their actions and decide if they liked the person staring back at them in the mirror. These thoughts nagged at the corners of Gigi's otherwise numbed conscience several days prior as Christmas with all its cozy comforts wrapped the city in cheer and good tidings. She saw her brother Teddy in every festive shop window and every home draped in twinkling lights. What nagged at her more though was imagining what Teddy thought if he could see her.

The kid sister he knew laughed freely and smiled openly. The girl he knew once cried when she first discovered the trees that went up at Maple Grove Manor and her family's own mansion, Raleigh's Yew, had been chopped down from the forest. When she sobbed to Teddy that the trees must miss their family he wiped her tears away and read her a poem he had recently unearthed in their grandfather's library. "Little tree little silent Christmas tree you are so little you are more like a flower"

What memory her mind retained of the quality of Teddy's voice, its richness and warmth even in its youth, still heard the words as he read them to her that day. She opened her mouth back then to wail louder that she already knew the poor tree was precious and why was he rubbing it in" But Teddy only held up a finger asking her to wait while he continued reading, his voice never breaking its steady rhythm.

"who found you in the green forest and were you very sorry to come away" see I will comfort you because you smell so sweetly i will kiss your cool bark and hug you safe and tight just as your mother would, only don't be afraid"

Gigi once grieved for the trees" pain at an ax chopping them down. These days, she did far worse to people. Teddy always soothed her nerves. Now, Gigi frayed the nerves of others.

"look the spangles that sleep all the year in a dark box"

Teddy held the spine of the poetry book in one smooth hand and used the other to motion for her to open one carton of Christmas decorations their mother had pulled out for them. Gigi and their eldest brother, Clayton, used to tease Teddy that he had the skin of a baby's butt. Clayton had the rough hands meant for an heir to Raleigh Granger's lands, an empire under the rule of their father, Thaddeus. But not Teddy. His hands did not belong on fields, in barns or amongst the mills" machines. They had been fashioned for page-turning, for pointing out lessons on a blackboard.

Gigi hiccupped, the last remnants of her sobs, but obeyed him without protest and peeled back the lid on the box. She usually let Teddy guide her, often without the protest and loud-mouth retorts she would give anyone else trying to get her to do something she felt no inclination towards doing.

'dreaming of being taken out and allowed to shine, the balls the chains red and gold the fluffy threads,"

Picking up a fat ornament, glittering and round, Gigi examined it with new eyes. "I never thought about what the decorations wanted?" The poem's verses drifted over her, washing away her previous sorrows for the tree. Teddy smiled over the page and carried on.

"put up your little arms"

Gigi furrowed her eyebrows at the strange request but shrugged and raised her arms. Teddy laughed in that way that rivaled the flame's heat in the fireplace. "Not your arms, Geeg, he's talking about the tree. Don't you see the tree's little arms?"

"Ohh yeah." Gigi touched a finger to a pine needle's tip, a place marker for the branch's end and a measure of its "arm' length. Teddy repeated the line where he left it.

"put up your little arms and I'll give them all to you to hold every finger shall have its ring and there won't be a single place dark or unhappy'

Gigi began stringing the decorations up on the parts of the great big tree that she could reach. She skipped around and remarked to the pine tree on how beautifully bejeweled it would look when they finished dressing it. Teddy made a hand available again to slip a silver bell onto a higher branch and recited the last few lines.

"then when you're quite dressed you'll stand in the window for everyone to see and how they'll stare! oh but you'll be very proud

and my little sister and I will take hands and looking up at our beautiful tree we'll dance and sing "Noel Noel?"

When the tree was finally trimmed, Teddy reached for Gigi's hand. They circled the evergreen, giddy with tinsel and the heady scent of pine, screaming their heads off with silly holiday songs. Clayton got caught up in it for one lap around before he remembered his teenage disdain for anything so childish. Gigi and Teddy laughed at him and sang "Noel Noel" at an even louder pitch until their father and mother both yelled for them to quiet down.

It became an annual tradition. They outgrew many things during the years but never let themselves feel too old to dance and sing around the tree after decorating it. The hardness that encased Gigi now almost completely showed its early signs even back then, before Teddy's death, when she would feel how calloused and chaffed his hands had become from working for the GrangerGuild. Everything vital came from the grounds Raleigh first mastered. Thaddeus wanted his children to learn about the piece of the pie they would one day inherit from the ground up like he and his father before him did. Clayton flourished along with their crops while Teddy suffered silently.

?there won't be a single place dark or unhappy'

These words still held true on Christmas through the years for both of them, no matter how many other days of the year proved otherwise.

Until the farm and the fire claimed Teddy.

Until Gigi torched what that fire had spared once Teddy's blood had dried in the earth.

((Poem by e.e. cummings))

Dr Greenthumb Granger

Date: 2012-12-19 23:40 EST
"oh but you'll be very proud"

How could Teddy be proud of her now"

This was the thought Gigi shoved back and swallowed down as she left Royan Field where her brother was buried with many Grangers before him. She finished reading to him from the book of Christmas poems she had picked up for their new tradition now that they could not dance and sing "Noel Noel" around the tree. Even during her time in Jenli she always made sure to come back to RhyDin to sit aside the marble monument for her brother, the carved slumbering boy with the strange little smile and Dickinson's verse at his feet, and read a holiday tale Teddy had loved out loud to him.

Unfortunately this year, Gigi needed to pay a second visit after spending the morning with her brother.

She avoided Maple Grove Manor as if it held the origins of the fever that periodically ravaged the city. But she had no luck so far tracking down her cousin, Eli, and though she doubted he would show up for the family holiday, she did believe one person there might have been able to open a new door. Humphrey had resources she didn't, especially when it came to keeping tabs on their family that grew like weeds.

Weeds" Maybe a virus.

These were the bits of black humor swirling through her head when she darkened the doorstep. Her appearance at Maple Grove would be suspicious on any day. At least today she could leave the vast network of relatives who might notice to speculate that perhaps her heart had softened. Perhaps she had been more widely forgiven or had come to plead her way back into the fold.

Gigi scoped the scene out. Her first priority before finding Humphrey was to make sure she did not cross paths with her parents. Her tailored black pantsuit might have been more fitting for a funeral than a holiday.

Gigi's second priority was downing a shot of tequila and taking a deep breath as she absorbed her surroundings.

"Lord, f**king help me."

Robyn Granger

Date: 2012-12-20 08:10 EST
She was later than usual arriving this year because her schedule at the theater had been so very busy. The part in Jekyll and Hyde and been followed by the part of Belle in the musical version of Beauty and the Beast, and lately she had been the Ghost of Christmas Past in a musical version of "Scrooged". There would still be nights she would need to duck out for a few hours to be at a show or two but on the whole she planned on staying at the manor and catching up with the Old man and the rest of her kin.

Managing to get to the Manor just before the traditional dinner time she hoped to smooth the way for the man that was accompanying her this year. Shon'ge had been around her family for years, he was one of Shane's best friends so it was not as though he was a stranger to them but he'd never been there with Robyn and she could tell, even in his quiet way, that he was nervous.

"It's not like it's anything more than a friend coming to keep me company, Shon'ge." Elbowing the tall Indian in the ribs playfully. "I couldn't let you celebrate the holidays alone." She held up a forestalling hand. "I know they are not your holidays but still, everyone else is celebrating, you should too." It wasn't that she hadn't thought about Shon'ge as someone who might be more than a friend but somehow she had never worked up the courage to do anything about it. Somehow....yeah, because she was so big and bold when it came to those things.

She envied her cousins for their ability to put themselves out there and find amazing people to share their lives. Her family, both those that were of her blood, and those that came into the fold because they were in a relationship with one of the Grangers were a blessing and sometimes a nuisance, but she always loved them.

Pulling Shon'ge with her as she entered and then more pulling went on as she found the family in the process of sitting down for dinner. "Merry Christmas!" Said with the enthusiasm and obvious affection that was her normal state when she was with her family. "This is Shon'ge, you might remember seeing him at the opening of Jekyll and Hyde, he's a good friend."

She went to the Old man and give him a hug first, as was his due, before delivering hugs around the table. She sat next to Kenny, she was interested in getting to know her cousins significant other. "I'm starving! Pass all the foods this way please!"

Victoria Granger

Date: 2012-12-20 18:22 EST
Last year, Vicki hadn't been in the right frame of mind to really appreciate the familiar scale of the Granger Christmas gathering, far too nervous about being introduced to everyone in the room. This year, despite still having a few faces she couldn't put names to, she was far more comfortable in the heady mingle of people who were now her own family. By the third hand reaching out to fondle her belly, however, she was looking mutinous.

Last year, Jon's Christmas had felt a little like Ebenezer Scrooge waking up on Christmas morning to find he had a new lease on life. But this year was different. This year, Jon had even more reason to celebrate. He had a wife and a new baby on the way, and at long last, everything he had hoped for when he'd returned to Rhy'Din - all his hopes and dreams - had come true. Surrounded by family and friends, a loving wife, and an uncle who was more like a father, what reason did Jon not have to be happy' He was practically bursting with happiness, and it wasn't just because it was Christmas. In another day, he'd be one year older, one year wiser, and happier than he'd ever been in his entire life.

Spotting her husband lingering a short distance away - and remembering what he had told her about swearing at his more elderly aunts - Vicki summoned a polite smile from the depths of her soul and gently but firmly removed the hand patting her rounded belly. With a warm season's greeting, she backed away, grabbing some unfortunate child at random and offering him up as a sacrifice to the elderly aunt's need to coo over something. Free, she slipped away, coming up behind Jon and groaning into his ear. "If your Aunt Margaret doesn't stop feeling me up, I'm going to give her such a ding around the ear," she threatened cheerfully, hiding behind him as said aunt wandered past with a small child in tow.

Jon smirked as Vicki whispered in his ear. Thankfully, he wasn't sipping an eggnog at the time or he might have choked on it. As for himself, one of his great uncles a gazillion times removed had been chatting him up about how horrible it was to get old and what Jon had to look forward to as he aged and his looks went to hell, and Jon quietly excused himself as Vicki came to the rescue. He turned toward his wife, conspiratorially lowering his voice for her ears alone, that smirk widening. "Would you mind if I feel you up, darling?" he teased.

She snickered as his tease met her ear, leaning in to nip his earlobe as she replied in kind. "Only if you think you can get away with finishing what you start right here under the Christmas tree, poochie-woo." What a wonderful thought that was ....or would have been, had it not included upwards of thirty friends and family all looking on in various shades of disgust and amusement. It didn't stop her from turning just so, however, and letting her hand ghost somewhere it shouldn't.

He snickered when her hand traveled somewhere it shouldn't, at least while in public, and he reached to divert her hand, wrapping his fingers around hers and bringing her hand to his lips for a kiss. "Think we can slip away for a bit' I've got something to show you," he asked quietly, with a brush of lips against her hand.

Of course, her mind flashed straight to something she'd seen many times before and never minded seeing again, so long as she was allowed to do more than look. She smiled sweetly at him over her hand held in his. "Does it have a ribbon on it?"

He chuckled a moment, that smirk still dimpling his lightly bearded face. "Actually, it does." He drew her by the hand toward the foyer, multiple pairs of eyes following them curiously as they headed that way, known for slipping away in the middle of any sort of gathering and making themselves scarce only to reappear a few hours later looking a little more rumpled than when they'd left.

Vicki laughed, allowing herself to be led by the hand as they picked their way between people and furniture, relieved as they passed through the door and into the relative quiet of the large foyer beyond. She curled her free hand to the crook of his elbow, leaning close as they walked, her cheek touching to his shoulder for a moment. "You, sir, are a life-saver," she informed him cheerfully. "I'm not sure how many of your relatives I could kill before Humphrey expelled me from the house."

"He won't expel you," Jon reassured her as he slipped his suit jacket off his shoulders to settle it over hers. "He'd probably thank you." Once he had the jacket settled upon her shoulders, he turned her to face him, a slightly nervous smile on his face - the kind of nervous that comes from being excited about a surprise that one's kept to themselves for too long. "Close your eyes," he instructed, blue eyes shining as merrily as they had when he'd donned the Saint Nicholas costume earlier in the evening for the little ones.

She smiled as he wrapped her in his suit jacket, needing no further explanation to know that they were going to be heading out through the open doorway and into the snowy grounds where a plethora of cars had been parked for the afternoon and evening. Her brows did rise, however, when he asked her to close her eyes. "The last time you told me to do that, we ended up in Venice," she reminded him with a chuckle, obediently closing her eyes only to open one and eye him with cheeky suspicion.

Jon chuckled at her remark, remembering that event very clearly. It had been the day he'd proposed. "No portals. I promise," he told her as he waited for her to close her eyes. "Don't make me blindfold you," he warned with a grin. He wasn't above doing so, but with her being pregnant, he wasn't taking any chances.

"Oooh, kinky." Snickering cheerfully, Vicki finally closed both eyes, dramatically closing one hand over them as well. "I promise, no peeking. Unless you walk me into a snowdrift or something." Her other hand groped toward him, seemingly innocent enough until she took hold of something not very innocent at all. The smirk on her lips said it all.

There was a small group of relatives peering curiously over at the two of them, wondering what was going on, but Jon ignored them to focus on Vicki. He took hold of her hand and drew her slowly toward the door, watching carefully so that she didn't trip, trusting her not to peek. Even if she did, the surprise wouldn't be immediately obvious. He pulled open the door and led her out onto the porch, fat snowflakes drifting lazily from the sky.

Victoria Granger

Date: 2012-12-20 18:28 EST
It was a lovely view and would have been peaceful if not for the peals of laughter coming from the front yard where Johnny and Liv were cavorting in the snow.

Utterly heedless of anyone watching them, Vicki put herself into Jon's hands without a second thought, trusting him implicitly not to let her fall as she walked along with him, each stride only a little less confident than it would have been with her eyes open. Her fingers flexed around his each time she felt the quality of the ground beneath her feet change, but apart from that, this could have been a normal occurrence between them. As they stepped out onto the porch, the redhead smirked to herself, recognising the voices in the darkness. "Don't hurt each other!" she called out merrily, leaning into Jon's side, her eyes still firmly closed.

Johnny barely paid any heed to the other couple, too busy dodging snowballs while he tried to get close to Liv without getting pelted. The snow beneath his feet was getting soft, but there was still plenty of it for Liv to tease him to her heart's content, so long as he let her. Jon chuckled at the other couple, knowing Liv was going to lose this fight, but so long as they were having fun, it didn't matter. Johnny and Liv weren't outside for no reason either. Jon had been in cahoots with the other couple to get Vicki's gift there without her knowing about it. Once Jon had Vicki out on the porch, he led her very carefully down the stairs, one at a time and along the walkway toward the drive.

The only answer Vicki got to her call was a loud peal of laughter from Liv as her husband's P.A. skipped through the snow in her heels. Laughing to herself at the sounds of playful enjoyment, Vicki turned her attention back to Jon as he moved her along, stepping down carefully and onto the walkway. "Hmmm," she mused thoughtfully. "So we came out the front and this path's been swept, so it must be the main walk ....driveway?"

"No portal yet," he remarked with a playful grin that she couldn't see it. He continued to lead her along until they came to the end of the drive, Johnny and Liv's whooping and hollering fading the farther they moved away from the house. They hadn't gone far before Jon came to a halt, setting his hands on her shoulders and turning her just so. "Ready?" he asked, filled with both excitement and nervousness. It wasn't as romantic a surprise as a trip to Venice or diamond and sapphire jewelry, but it was something he'd been planning on buying her for a long time.

Laughing again as she was brought to a halt, Vicki stumbled just a little, not having been expecting the turn as well. Her hands rose to rest over Jon's fingers on her shoulders, her body leaning back into his warmth as she smiled at the excitement in his voice, giving voice to her own silly sense of humor. "Oh, pwease, Mithster Gwanger, pwease can I sthee my pwethent now?"

Jon chuckled as Vicki's voice imitated that of a child, even though his stomach was twisted into nervous knots. He wasn't sure why he was so nervous; he just didn't want to disappoint her. He moved around behind her so as not to block her view, his arms going around her from behind, his lips close to her ear as he whispered, "You can look now."

Her hands lowered with his, folding over his arms about the swell of their unborn daughter, completely failing to stifle the luxuriant shudder that ran down her spine at the sensation of his breath against her ear. A moment later, her eyes opened, blinking in the dim light.

It wasn't Venice and it wasn't diamonds. This year Jon had opted for something more practical, replacing the deathtrap Vicki had been driving since he met her for something sleek and shiny and in her favorite color. It wasn't the kind of car he would have chosen for himself. He was too much in love with his Bentley to trade it in for anything else, but Vicki needed something practical, something safe. How he'd managed to get it to Rhy'Din was his own secret. Shining in the moonlight and wrapped in a big red bow was a brand-spanking new Ford Focus in Blue Candy, complete with a car seat for the baby and all the bells and whistles.

"Surprise!" he declared as she opened her eyes.

For a moment, Vicki couldn't quite work out why they were in the impromptu car park ....and then she saw the bow. Her jaw dropped, a softly delighted laugh making itself known as she realised that the car was her surprise. "Oh my god," she laughed, "you actually did it!" Turning, she threw her arms around his neck, hugging him warmly as her lips brushed his cheek. It was exactly the sort of car she would have bought for herself - practical, and big enough to accommodate their expanding family. "You're such a star, stud muffin."

He laughed at her reaction, relieved that she actually liked it, even though it wasn't expensive jewelry or a trip to some exotic location. Those were things he could afford anytime; this was something she needed now. "Do you like it?" he asked, hoping he did an adequate job of guessing what make, model, and color she'd like. He would have preferred something fancier, but he had bought the car for Vicki and had tried to pick something she'd like. "It's not very exciting, I know, but you've been driving that rustbucket around long enough."

"Do I like it?" she repeated, ever so slightly incredulous in the face of his quiet concern that he might not have gotten the exactly right thing for her. "That's a daft question - of course I like it!" She kissed him again, turning to look back at the car. One hand rose, grabby fingers flexing impishly. "Keys, gimme."

He smirked as she reassured him with a kiss and immediately demanded the keys, reaching into his pants pocket and pulling them out, dangling them in front of her so that she could grab them straightaway. His cheeks were turning pink from the wintery chill in the air, standing there in just his shirt and vest, but the car would be nice and toasty in no time. He smiled again as he hit the auto start button on the keyring, and the engine turned over, warming the car up before they got anywhere near the door.

"How do you like the color?" he asked, having guessed at that, too.

The auto-start button was a surprise - it had been so long since Vicki had had a new car, she had no idea of the new-fangled gadgets that were the standard on most cars these days. "Hmm, snazzy," was her comment on that, noting the reddening chill on Jon's cheeks and taking his hand, leading him toward her brand spanking new vehicle with happy excitement. "What color? Oh, the car ..." She snickered at her own blonde moment, rolling her eyes. "It's perfect. Well, almost perfect. Until you come in car form, nothing's ever going to be as perfect as my sexy hunkathan."

Victoria Granger

Date: 2012-12-20 18:35 EST
He laughed again. "I'm not a car, but you can still ride me," he teased with a grin. "Want to take her for a spin?" he asked, as he followed her hand in hand toward her Christmas present. Behind them, Johnny had finally tackled Liv to the snow and the two of them were giggling madly. "It's even got a car seat for the baby," he pointed out helpfully, having tried to think of everything.

"That is a very tempting suggestion, Mr Granger," Vicki chuckled, studying the key thoughtfully before pressing a button, delighted when the doors unlocked themselves. Opening up the driver's door, she leaned inside, peering over at the back seat. "Oh, that's so cute! And not pink, well done." She snickered over her shoulder at him. "Get in the car before you freeze, daftie."

Tucked into the baby seat was a small stuffed teddy-bear wearing a blue one-piece suit with a big 4 in the corner, reminiscent of a certain superhero they both knew and loved - or at least, tolerated. Jon snickered when he saw it. "I didn't put that there," he told her, as he went around to the passenger side and climbed in. "I am not to blame for that!"

It took a moment to realise what the teddy was wearing, but Vicki laughed loudly when she cottoned on, easing herself behind the wheel and drawing the door shut behind her as she giggled wildly. "Oh, it's so tempting to set fire to it," she snickered, but they both knew that would hurt the Human Torch's feelings. "Trust him to hijack your present, though." As Jon settled into the warmth beside her, she leaned over to kiss him, easing her fingers against his cheek. "Thank you," she told him softly, her smile nothing but delighted and loving. "It's wonderful."

He chuckled at her remark, actually a little touched by Johnny's thoughtful gesture, even if it was a little conceited. He smiled as he leaned close to Vicki, sliding a hand against her belly and the daughter that made herself known against her father's hand. "Merry Christmas, Vicki. I love you," he told her softly, returning her kiss with one of his own.

"Merry Christmas, Jon." Her lips brushed his once, twice, curving in a fond smile as she felt their daughter push at his hand on her belly. It was a little daunting to think that in a matter of two months - less, in fact - she was due to squeeze the sprogette out and into the world. "But," Vicki added with a faint smirk, "no joyriding tonight. You still have to open our presents, and those ....are still under the tree, Santa."

"I'm not really Santa. I just play him on occasion," he remarked with another teasing grin. He brushed his fingers against her cheek, not really caring much about his own presents. Everything he ever wanted was right there in front of him in the form of a wife and soon-to-be-born daughter. "We should visit your father soon," he said, knowing she missed home. "If we wait until the baby is born, it might be a while before we can get away again."

She nodded in agreement, tweaking his nose between thumb and forefinger. She knew he wasn't so bothered about his own presents, but there were two little packets that she'd worked hard on finding that she wanted to see his expression upon opening. "We'll go in the New Year," she promised him, smiling that he remembered so often how close she was to her father. "But that doesn't get you out of opening your pressies, mister."

"Well, unless you got me a talking Johnny Storm doll that spontaneously combusts, I'm going to be very disappointed," he teased, having a little fun at Johnny's expense, but the Torch wasn't close enough to hear them, and even if he was, he was a pretty good sport.

"Get used to disappointment, then," was her chuckling response as she kissed him once more, patting his cheek gently. She twisted, leaning around to lift the little teddy-bear out of the baby seat, and winked at Jon. "Come on, then. I want to see your face when you open your presents!" Her impatience was almost infectious as she opened up her door, flailing to heave herself back out of the car and up onto her feet, despite her ever increasing bulk.

"Now?" he asked, arching both brows. "In front of everyone?" He frowned a little, hoping for a little quiet time later when they could properly exchange presents in private, but then he'd been too excited to wait until everyone left before giving her hers. "You didn't get me a pair of handcuffs, did you?" he asked curiously. If they were going to open their gifts in front of the family, kids included, they had better not be too risque.

She laughed softly, turning a teasing look on him. "Don't worry, there are other presents for you after Mass," she promised him, guessing the reason for his frown. "I just ....put together something else for now. And it's not from me, so there." She stuck her tongue out at him cheerfully, beckoning with a finger. "Come on, Jon boy. You know you want to."

"Not from you?" he asked curiously, arching both brows, as he pushed the door open and climbed out of the car, which was so new it still had that new car smell. "What I want is to curl up by the fire with my wife and a hot cup of Irish coffee." He shuddered once from the cold, thinking he probably should have made sure they grabbed their jackets before heading outside. He was just coming around the car when a snowball came flying their way and went splat against Jon's back.

"I didn't do it!" Johnny called, hands up to show he was innocent.

Vicki turned to find Johnny holding his hands up innocently, and a few meters behind him, Liv standing with her eyes wide and both hands clapped hard over her mouth. Three guesses who did do it. The redhead snickered softly, brushing the snow off her husband's back before it could melt too much. "Fire, coffee and present, or making a snowman out of Liv?" she asked him impishly.

Jon chuckled, more at Liv's reaction and the expression on her face than at anything else. Johnny wasted no time, taking advantage of the moment to move in and swoop Liv off her feet, hoisting her over his shoulder, and rushing back to the house before Jon could catch either of them. Of course, Johnny didn't really have much to fear from his girlfriend's boss who had no superpowers.

Victoria Granger

Date: 2012-12-20 18:39 EST
Jon laughed at the two of them and reached for Vicki's hand to follow her back toward the house. "Okay, I give. Fire, coffee, and present." He watched as Johnny and Liv disappeared into the house. "Think those two will ever get married?"

As Liv giggled like a fool, the sound fading off as Johnny bore her to the safety of the house, Vicki's laughter joined Jon's. Her hand wrapped itself about his as they walked at a more sedate pace toward the house once more, warming his fingers between her palms. "Well, the theory is that they're engaged, you know," she told her husband with a smile. "Apparently Johnny embarrassed the hell out of her at the Winterfest Skating Party by popping the question in the middle of the rink. I haven't seen a ring yet, though, so I don't know if that's true. What do you think?"

"He did?" Jon asked, looking surprised. "Huh. I didn't know that." But then, he'd had his hands full the last few days with other matters, like that of a brother he had never met before and presents for Vicki and decorating the Grove and visiting the kids in the hospital, and a half dozen other things. "I think they look happy," he said, having noticed a change in both Johnny and Liv's moods over the last few days, though he was uncertain why. "It's about damned time, if they are."

"He's been planning to ask her at Christmas anyway," Vicki supplied this gap in Jon's knowledge with a faint smirk, impishly enjoying knowing something he didn't. "I think it just got more pressing when her sister got married." She hugged to Jon's arm as they stepped up over the porch and in through the main door, shrugging out of his jacket and handing it back to him. "I say we claim the couch in the study, how does that sound?"

"How do you know so much?" he asked, with a puzzled look as she led him inside. He stomped any snow off his feet, happy to be back inside where it was warm. He didn't mind the cold really, and one of the first trips they'd taken together had been to the Swiss Alps, but they hadn't spent much time frolicking in the snow, opting to snuggle indoors and keep warm. "That sounds perfect," he admitted with a warm smile, noticing as they stepped inside that Johnny and Liv were nowhere to be seen.

"Good, because that's where the coffee is," she chuckled back to him, wondering if Humphrey had managed to climb out of his nest of small children to move himself toward his expensive liqueurs yet. "You do that, I'll get that parcel." She winked at him, blowing her husband a kiss as she slipped away to brave the festivities in the main room and raid the pile under the tree.

Jon watched as she nearly waddled away from him, smiling faintly at the blown kiss. She hadn't answered his question, but maybe it was for the better. Women always seemed to know things that men didn't, as if they had their own private newswire that fed them information before it got around to the men. Or maybe men just didn't pay as much attention. Either way, if Johnny and Liv were engaged, he was happy for them. A smile touched his lips as he wondered to himself if they should throw them a surprise party, or at the very least, take them out for a nice dinner. She disappeared into the small crowd of people and he went about fetching an Irish coffee for himself and a cup of hot cocoa for his wife.

It seemed to take an age to maneuver herself around everyone and find the two little parcels she had prepared for Jon to open at the little gathering, but eventually Vicki reappeared, flushed and laughing, clutching the festive packets protectively. She'd managed to find Cosmo in the crush, and the dog had apparently decided he was going to stick with her, practically clearing the way to let his mistress through and into the foyer. "Good boy," she praised him, rubbing his ears, and his bark preceded her into the study, where hopefully Jon had managed to claim the most comfortable seat in the place for them.

He beat her to the couch, saving a place for her beside him, close enough to the fire that they'd be warm and toasty again in no time. There was a mug on the table beside him and another in his hand that he was sipping from. Thankfully, he heard Cosmo's bark in time to set the mug aside before he ended up spilling the coffee on his master's designer suit. Jon smiled as he was joined by his wife and man's best friend. It was sometimes hard to tell which he loved more from all the love and affection he poured on the dog. It was Cosmo who was on the receiving end at the moment as Jon rubbed his ears fondly. "Where've you been hiding all night?" he asked the dog, as if he could properly answer.

His only reply was another excited bark as Cosmo all but bowled Jon backwards onto the couch and jumped up, padding around in circles until Vicki had folded herself in close by Jon. Then their beloved dog flopped himself down over both their legs, and settled in to enjoy the attention they would inevitably give him. "This dog is far too cheeky for his own good," Vicki laughed, rubbing her fingertips through the black and white fur.

Jon laughed at Vicki's remark, one arm going around his wife, while the other joined her in rewarding the dog with a fond rub of fingers. "He fits right in, doesn't he?" he asked, subtly or not so subtly hinting at their own cheekiness. He leaned over and rubbed his nose against Vicki's cheek and into her hair, just because, breathing her in.

Her laugh this time was quieter but no less warm, her voice softening to accommodate the gentler atmosphere in the study. They weren't the only ones to have taken refuge there; Gabrielle was curled up in one of the larger armchairs, studiously reading a book and ignoring the world at large, as well as a couple of the more elderly gentlemen escaping the attentions of their wives. Vicki's face turned toward Jon, nuzzling a soft kiss to his lips before offering over the little parcels. "Open the big one first, it's your Christmas present," she told him. "The little one is for your birthday. And remember to read the card."

Jon arched a brow as he was handed his gifts and given instructions. She was the only one who really ever remembered his birthday. When he was a boy, he'd often thought that nothing could be worse than being born on Christmas, as his birthday was almost always forgotten in the grander plans for the holiday. Humphrey, to his credit, was one of the few, other than Vicki, who never forgot. But that had been a long time ago, and Jon no longer remembered it. He shook the box, like he always did when given a present, but it didn't make enough sound to give him any hints.

Victoria Granger

Date: 2012-12-20 18:41 EST
Jon tore open the paper on the big box, clearing away the tissue paper to see the contents inside.

It was, on first viewing, nothing special. A khaki-colored t-shirt, on which was printed in purple "Pint" and the British crown symbol of the brewing trade. But underneath it came the surprise. A tiny purple t-shirt, on which was printed in khaki the words "Half Pint". Vicki smiled as she watched Jon tear into his Christmas present, gently stroking the curve of her pregnant belly and hoping he wouldn't mind that their unborn daughter had bought him presents.

Jon didn't quite understand the full meaning of the present until he pulled out the little purple t-shirt with the words "Half Pint" printed on the front. Of course, he didn't mind one bit. In fact, he thought the gift was both clever and adorable, and his face brightened at the sight of it, laughing in amusement. "That's adorable, Vicki! Where'd you find it?" He held both shirts up to compare, the large one for him, and the tiny one for their daughter.

She chuckled, glad that he was pleased with his first Christmas present from his daughter, looping one arm around his shoulders as she leaned against him, getting her first proper look at the two shirts. "You two are going to look fantastic when you go out in those," she predicted merrily, stroking her fingers against his cheek briefly. "Dad saw them on sale on the internet and pointed me in the right direction," she added, answering his question with a faint smirk. That was twice now her father had been integral to Jon's Christmas.

"Your father found these?" he asked, duly surprised and impressed and not for the first time when it came to her father. "I don't think I've ever properly thanked him for rescuing Cosmo." The dog's head popped up, his ears perking when he heard his name mentioned. He poked his nose at the shirts in his master's hands but something else drew his attention and he hopped off the couch to go poke around at the girl who was sitting all alone with her nose stuck in a book. Who was she and why hadn't he met her yet'

"That dog has some serious ADD," Jon remarked, with a smirk, hoping he didn't irritate Gabi too much. He turned back to the second and much smaller box, and when he shook that, it made a little metallic sound.

"He'd pretend not to know what you were talking about if you did," Vicki warned him, her eyes following Cosmo as he padded over to where the quietest Granger she'd ever met was pretending the rest of the house was empty. Confident that he wouldn't jump up on Gabi, however, she turned her eyes back to Jon, her smile growing just that little bit more interested as he shook the second box, knowing he wouldn't be able to guess what was inside.

"What is it?" he asked, though he knew she wouldn't tell him, and he had no idea what it was. He lifted the tag, reading what was written there, tears stinging in his eyes, and he hadn't even unwrapped it yet. The tag, which read "From Your Little Monster", touched his heart, reminding him of what Vicki's mother had once called her, reminding him of the woman he'd met only once when he'd traveled back through Vicki's life, reminded of the undisguised love she'd had for her own little monster that had been baby Vicki. But it was their turn now to raise their own daughter, a daughter conceived of their love.

"You'll just have to open it to find out," she told him, just as he knew she would, her fingertips gently brushing his hair back from his brow as she watched him. She knew he had a soft spot a mile wide for anything to do with their family, and though it might have seemed slightly cruel to have arranged this particular little present, she knew it would mean the world to him. And what was nestled in that little box, wrapped up in sparkling tissue paper" Just a simple keyring, a circular tag of polished steel on which had been carefully stamped the words "love you daddy".

Jon carefully tore at the paper wrapping and drew out the small, simple keyring upon which words were stamped that tugged tightly at his heartstrings. He stared at the keyring for a long moment, his vision misting with the threat of tears, rubbing a thumb against the words that touched his heart so deeply. He knew the baby couldn't really know him or love him yet, but she would, in time. He'd make sure of it. He wouldn't be like his own father. He'd be the kind of father their daughter be would proud to call her own. "I don't know what to say," he told her quietly. He'd given her a car, and she'd given him this, but for some reason, it was the best present anyone could have ever given him.

Vicki watched him quietly, warm and silent at his side until he finally found the means to speak. Then she smiled, easing her arm about his shoulders once more. "You don't need to say anything," she told him softly, touching her lips to his cheek tenderly. "We love you, Jon. Happy birthday."

He lifted his head, smiling through a misty veil of happy, heartfelt tears, not caring all that much who noticed - he was entitled once in a while. "I love you, too. Both of you. Thank you." He nudged her nose with his before touching his lips to hers in a soft, tender kiss. It was already proving to be a Christmas Eve to remember.

Richmond

Date: 2012-12-20 21:30 EST
Christmas Eve was always a time for family in the manor at Maple Grove, and this year, Caroline had a little more family to wave about. She wasn't hiding in the kitchen, either. Instead, she was using Jack as a sort of human shield against various relatives, letting her little boy charm them out of engaging her in long and boring conversations about the state of the world, or worse, work. He'd been something of an angel for most of the afternoon, but as the evening darkened, he started to fuss, over-stimulated and fretful. Which, naturally, gave her the excuse of slipping out into the foyer to try and calm him down; hoping Richmond had seen and heard their exit. No one could calm Jack quite like his father.

Richmond had been politely listening to one conversation or the other without really hearing what was being said. There were so many voices in the room, all striving to be heard over the other, that he could of sworn they all began to sound like Charlie Brown's speech impeded teacher. At the intersection of buffet table and Christmas tree, he was pinned between an elderly Granger aunt who was expounding about how Jack was the spitting image of her long, lost Claude, and a younger cousin who wanted to know all about the Whispering Wind. He felt like he was being played tug of war with. Catching Caroline's escape, he excused himself with a promise to the young cousin that a sail around the harbor could be arranged. Slipping into the darker and wonderfully quieter foyer, he removed his jacket and sat down beside Caroline. "Here, let me have a go. You deserve a break." Leaning to give the corner of her mouth a soft kiss, his hands went to his son's stomach to gently lift the little noisy wriggler from his mother's arms.

It was a relief to feel Richmond sit down beside her and take Jack off her hands. There were still times when Caroline felt overwhelmed being a mother, even two months on, and it was times like this, when Jack was fussing and she couldn't work out how to soothe him, that made her feel a little useless as a parent. She smiled as Richmond took his son from her, leaning into his side with envy as the little boy almost immediately began to quiet down. "That just isn't fair, you know."

"It's the sea," he said softly, gazing down at his son's sleepy expression. Transferred to just one arm, Richmond put his free arm around Caroline's shoulders to pull her closer to his side. "He can smell the sea air and it calms him down." At least, that was Richmond's take on it. "Just like his old man." Turning his head, he smiled gently as he took in Caroline's attire and her expression. He knew that being the head of GrangerGuild Corporation was exhausting, both mentally and physically. "Been a long day, how about we sneak away to the Wind for some quiet?"

She chuckled softly, leaning into him with a grateful sigh. "I think Grampa might throttle you if you snuck out with his first great-grandson," she warned him cheerfully. "I thought I saw him talking to Gigi, though, so you never know ....he might not notice we're gone." And if he didn't notice them leave, they both knew Humphrey would be on the phone to the Wind as soon as he did notice they were gone, demanding to know why.

"Thank you for protecting my neck," he chuckled. "You're right. The Old Man has already told me that we're not leaving and that there's a room upstairs with a nursery in it, for us," he chuckled. Humphrey Granger was a tenacious man, but in no way a fool. He was the one man that instantly garnered Richmond's respect. "Are you doing alright?" He could see the first signs of tiredness in her eyes and gently lifted his hand to move her hair behind an ear.

Caroline's smile was a little tired, but she was bearing up well, all things considered. "I'll live," she promised through her smile, touching a kiss to his jaw fondly. "At least things should start calming down a bit soon. All the old biddies will sit down and realise they're so sleepy, they just have to have a nap." She chuckled at the thought. "And I should find Desmond soon. He must be feeling a little cornered by all this."

"One could only hope," he smiled and turned his head to take her kiss full on. Jack and fallen blissfully asleep, a heavy limp rag draped over his father's forearm. "Desmond can wait a little bit longer. I've got you all to my onesies now and I intend to take advantage of it." And to prove his point, he tightened his squeeze of her shoulders and kissed her once again.

"Mmm, planning on seducing me under the mistletoe, are you?" Caroline laughed; her head tilting back to receive that kiss with as much enthusiasm as it was given to her. She loved being a mother, but it did rather take away from any opportunity to just be with Richmond when the mood struck. Still, apparently he'd be sleeping through the night soon - Jack, that was. Not Richmond.

Soon as Jack slept through the night, so would Richmond. "Not so much seducing you," he replied, pulling away from her to settle Jack onto the seat of an overstuffed chair. He turned back to Caroline then, but didn't take her into his arms at first. Instead, he reached into the diaper bag and pulled out an envelope. He held it out to her. The card inside was a store bought Christmas card, but what it contained was the present. Richmond had hand written coupons for Caroline to use whenever she felt overloaded. Jack had attended every board and GAC meeting with his mother since the day he was born. Richmond was determined to ease her burden by taking Jack when she had business to attend to.

"Oh no?" That was a little disappointing, but then, Caroline didn't really have the energy to be seduced right now. She watched as Richmond moved himself around, taking the little envelope from him with a slightly bemused smile. "I thought we were doing presents tomorrow?" she asked curiously, even as she opened it up. Her eyes scanned the little handful of coupons, and she felt a warm smile light up her face. "You," she informed her fianc", leaning over to kiss him tenderly, "are the best thing that's happened to me. Thank you."

"Ditto." He held her in his arms and enjoyed the relative peace and quiet that the foyer offered. "Tomorrow, on the Wind." The plans had already been set and Richmond dared anybody to interrupt them. He wanted family time with Caroline and Jack. Though the rest of the Granger clan was more than welcome at any other time aboard their ship, Richmond put his foot down about Christmas morning. "And when Jack takes his morning nap, I'm unwrapping you."

And at least this year they didn't need to worry about Humphrey. With Jon and Vicki living here now, and a guarantee that at least a couple of others would be dropping 'round during the day, he wouldn't be alone. This meant that Caroline and Richmond could enjoy each other's company while their baby boy slept off his over-excited morning. She chuckled, nestling into his arms fondly. "Mmm, you're going to spoil me."

"That's my intention," he murmured softly, not wanting to break the spell of quiet that enveloped them. He knew that the spell could, and probably would, be shattered in seconds flat the moment another Granger came into the foyer. "I'm so proud of you, Caroline. You're a good mom; you work so hard to keep this family running smoothly. You've come so far from that frightened girl on the beach." He had pulled from the embrace just enough to gaze into her eyes. "You're the one spoiling me."

She laughed fondly, dismissing the compliments in her mind as the ramblings of an overtired man as she always did. The tip of her nose touched his with affection. "I'm proud of you, too," she told him, lips brushing his with each word. And, just as he had thought, the peace was shattered by the sudden bedlam that was a small gaggle of children running through the foyer in an explosion of giggles and noise. Jack jumped, but thankfully, didn't cry, dropping back to sleep as the noise died away. Caroline laughed, rolling her eyes. "I think that's our cue to go back in."

When the children bounded into the foyer, Richmond jumped and first checked to see if Jack had woken, and then gave a murderous glance to the children. "I suppose it is," he nodded with a grin. Pressing another kiss to her lips, he then rose from his seat to gather Jack into his arms. "My turn at the human shield," he winked in Caroline's direction. Settling Jack to his shoulder, he cradled the boy's head to keep his head from bobbling. "Think I can sneak him into the nursery first?"

"Only if you bring the monitor down with you," she told him with a warm smile, lifting herself up onto her feet and drawing a deep breath. "And don't you dare hide up there for an hour," she added through a grin. "If I have to do this socialising thing, so do you."

"I won't be long, I promise." He slipped his arm around her waist to pull her in for a proper kiss. "That never gets old," he smiled happily afterwards.

Caroline laughed at the happy smile on his face, drawing him down for another, longer kiss before leaning back with a wink and a smile of her own. Her hand gently cupped the back of Jack's head, stroking the downy hair lovingly before she reluctantly released her boys. "Go on, scoot," she told Richmond, patting his rear intimately. "I'm going to go and sit on Uncle Mordicai's lap and give the old man something jolly."

"Something jolly?" Richmond laughed heartily and shook his head. "Should I bring a curtain for privacy?" Quickly, he moved out of her reach as he joked with her. "Love you," he blew her a kiss, then turned to find the nursery. Into the bassinette he placed his son, with the utmost in care. A favorite stuffed toy was wedged between Jack and the side of the bassinette to ensure that Jack didn't get rolled about. The monitor was turned on and he hooked it to the belt loop of his trousers before heading back down into the Christmas throng.

(Extra hugs and thanks to the very talented and wonderful player behind Caroline Granger. You're the best, baby!)

Johnny Storm

Date: 2012-12-21 23:56 EST
By the time Johnny got Liv to the front door, her clothing was already practically dry from the heat that naturally radiated off his body. He managed to get the door open and carried her into the house, still hoisted over his shoulder despite her girlish protests. Flashing a smile to the servants, he stepped inside and started through the gaping crowd toward the main staircase that led to the bedrooms and guestrooms on the second floor.

Liv's giggles didn't die down just because they were inside. If anything, she seemed somehow louder past the front door, her hand rising to cover her mouth and muffle herself as Johnny bore her through the little crowd who had gathered in the foyer of the big house. There were certainly more than a few interested glances their way as he carried his embarrassed fiance through the crowd ....and a smattering of laughter as people recognised one or both of them. Groaning, Liv pressed her face against the back of his jacket. "Everyone's looking!" she hissed through her smile, cheeks blazing.

"Let them look! It's Christmas!" Johnny proclaimed, without a shy bone in his body. He even grinned and waved to a few nameless onlookers as he wove his way through the crowd, calling over to one of the servants, whose name was not Jeeves, but he did sort of look like a butler. "Jeeves! Tell the Old Man we're taking him up on his offer to stay the night, would you?" he called as the crowd of Grangers parted before him like the Red Sea before Moses.

It wasn't "Jeeves" who replied. Humphrey's voice bellowed out from the doorway of the main room. "Do try not to set fire to anything this time!"

If Liv had been red in the face before, it was nothing compared to the shade of red that lit her up on hearing the Old Man call out to them. "What do you mean, let them look?" she accused her fiance. "There's nothing to see, is there?"

"Nothing except for the skin you're flashing them," he teased with a grin, though she was doing nothing of the sort, her dress inching up a little, but not enough to show anything it shouldn't be. He turned in place, circling around to toss an awkward salute to Humphrey. "Yes, sir! No roasting chestnuts on the Torch! Got it!" He swung her back around and started up the stairs, singing at the top of his lungs, "Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful, and since we've no place to go, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow..."

"Oh dear god, someone kill me now," Liv muttered, going limp on Johnny's shoulder in an attempt not to meet anyone's eye as several gazes followed the exuberant Human Torch and his incandescently blushing lover up the stairs. At least Jon and Vicki were still outside. That her boss wasn't watching this was one saving grace.

Oh, but Jon and Vicki would more than likely hear about it later, if not from Humphrey, than from Caroline or any of half a dozen cousins who'd love nothing better but to tattle on them and might be curious why the pair was even there. It had been Jon and Vicki who'd invited the other couple to Christmas. Knowing they had no families of their own in Rhy'Din right now, it was the least they could do to make the other couple's holiday merry. Johnny's laughter colored his singing as he carried her up the stairs to the guest room they had used the last time they'd stayed over night.

"Swear to god, Johnny Storm, if you don't put me down right now ..." Liv threatened, but unlike Lucy, she had no conviction even when she meant it. She just wasn't capable of making any kind of threat that anyone would believe, least of all Johnny. He knew she'd rather cut off her own arm than do anything to hurt him, even if he went out of his way to embarrass her.

And almost as soon as the words were out of her mouth, he was dropping her - carefully, mind you - onto the bed and going down onto one knee in front of her, though he had already proposed and she had already accepted. He reached into a pocket of his jacket and pulled out a small colorfully wrapped box that was all tied up in a bright green ribbon. "Merry Christmas, Liv," he said with an adoring smile on his face, blue eyes bright with merriment - and it wasn't the booze!

She let out a soft "ooph!" as she landed, falling onto her bed and panting for a moment to get her breath back before pulling herself to sit up on the end of the bed. Her eyes widened when she found Johnny already down on one knee - again - holding a small box up in front of her. And just like that, her embarrassment was forgotten. He knew exactly how to wipe the slate clean in seconds. "Johnny ..." Her hand reached out to stroke his cheek as she smiled lovingly, her fingers closing tentatively about the little box. "Merry Christmas, sweetheart." Knowing he was probably more excited than she was about the little gift, she carefully began to pick open the paper, infuriatingly careful not to rip any part of it.

"Hurry up and open it!" he urged, as excited as a kid on Christmas morning, though he was no kid and it was only Christmas Eve, nervously watching as she carefully picked open the paper. He could have given it to her in public, but he had decided to wait until they were alone, having already embarrassed her at the skating party a few days earlier.

As she unwrapped the box, inside was a small green ceramic trinket box wrapped in tissue, with a frog on top. It might seem silly to anyone else, but he knew it held special meaning for Liv.

Laughing, Liv refused to let him hurry her, as careful as ever in removing all the tape before unpeeling the paper from the little box. And it wasn't just any little box, either. She felt her mouth drop open a little way as she found herself gazing at a little frog perched on a lilypad green box, delighted with it. "Oh, how lovely!" Her soft eyes lifted to his, tender and grateful. Frogs were always going to be special to this quiet little woman, after all. It took a moment for her to remember that she should probably look inside the box, too, gently stroking her fingertip over the frog before lifting the lid.

"Look inside," he prompted just as she was lifting the lid of the little green box. "I hope you like it," he said, watching nervously. Inside the box was what completed the proposal he'd made a few days earlier. A emerald cut into the shape of a heart glittered in a white gold setting, offset by another heart filled with tiny diamonds. He'd chosen the ring carefully, searching his heart for just the right one, finally settling on an emerald because it was her birthstone, the heart shape to symbolize their love, the diamonds because they were traditional for an engagement ring. "I love you, Olivia. I want you to be my wife." Though he'd already asked her, he felt the words needed saying again.

The ring took her breath away. She stared at it for a long moment, one trembling fingertip stretching out to touch the glittering stones in quiet amazement. She'd known he would have found something special, but she had been expecting something more flamboyant. Not something so perfectly tailored to match them both. "Oh, Johnny, it's beautiful," she murmured softly, tearing her eyes from the ring nestled in the box to gaze into his, barely aware that her eyes were wet with deeply touched emotion. A very small smile made itself known as she swallowed. "Do I have to put it on myself?"

"No," he replied quietly, as deeply touched by her reaction to his gift as she was by the gift itself. He plucked the delicate thing out of the box and reached for her left hand to slide it onto her finger. "I love you, Liv. I want to spend the rest of my life with you," he told her, as his eyes met hers, both of them shining with tears of happiness.

The glittering emerald and diamond hearts found their resting place snug against her knuckle, causing a moment of marvelling at how he'd managed to fit it so perfectly to her finger without her collusion. But then her eyes were on his, and her smile was rising, her body slipping forward to the very edge of the bed as her hands lifted to cradle his jaw. "Never another day without me," she told him tenderly, her voice shaking just a little with the force of loving emotion that had welled up in those moments. "I promise."

His heart swelled with joy at her promise, his face beaming, blue eyes bright with happiness. As her hands cradled his jaw, he settled his hands against her hips, leaning in to press a warm and loving kiss against her lips, reinforcing the declaration of love they'd just shared with each other. He was feeling touched with emotion, nearly ready to burst with happiness.

There was nothing else Johnny could have done to have made Liv happier. It had bee something of a turbulent year for both of them, between the horrendous love triangle that had brought them to one another, the loss and gaining of jobs, the unexpected marriage of her sister, and myriad other bumps along the way. But through it all, they had somehow stayed constant, proving to one another that this was no passing fancy, no idle fling. Liv curled herself around Johnny lovingly, embracing him tight. It didn't matter that they'd skipped out on the Christmas party they had been invited to; all she could ever want was right here with her, promising to be hers until death. It was, in its way, perfect.

Though he'd been considering it for some time and had even mentioned it once or twice, it had taken Steve and Lucy's wedding to give Johnny that last final push he needed to ask Liv to marry him, terrified she'd say no, even when he'd been reassured she'd say yes. He'd been spurned once too often in the past by girls and women who either didn't or couldn't understand him, but all that was behind him now. He thought he could not be happier than he was at that very moment, but instead of jumping out a window and bursting into flame, he only let his inner fire burn with love for this amazing and beautiful woman who had stumbled into his life and taken him into her heart.

Very gently, her lips parted from his, the hand on which his ring sparkled tenderly tracing the curve of his cheek as she smiled at him with those big soft eyes that had caught at his heart what seemed a lifetime ago. "We should go back down," she murmured softly, not really wanting to, but not wanting to do him out of a party he'd been looking forward to for more than a week. "I'll even let you announce our engagement, if you really want to."

He frowned just a little, almost wishing they were with their own families for the holidays - that they could share the good news with Sue and Reed and Steve and Lucy. He wondered if they'd ever all be together. Maybe for the wedding, whenever that was going to be. Though he felt torn, this was home now. They both had jobs here and were building a life for themselves that they and their families could be proud of. He shrugged his shoulders and rose from his crouch on the floor to sit down on the bed beside her. Though happy to be with Liv and grateful to have been invited to spend the holidays at Maple Grove, they weren't really family. He reached for her hand, linking his fingers with hers. "Next year, we're going to have our own family gathering, with Sue and Reed and the baby and Steve and Lucy." Whether it was on Rhy'Din or New York didn't matter, so long as they were together.

Johnny Storm

Date: 2012-12-21 23:58 EST
Liv's smile warmed and softened as her fingers slid between his, leaning into his warmth with the same comforting sense of belonging she had always felt when Johnny was close by. "That sounds nice," she agreed quietly. "Everyone together, even if it's just for one day. That's what families do." She bit her lip, fighting back the urge to cry a little bit for the family that neither of them had or truly recalled with real fondness. "No matter where we go, or what we do, we're family. That's never going to change."

He touched her cheek, sensing a hint of sadness in her that wasn't much different than his own. They were both happy for their respective siblings and yet missed them, all the same. And yet, they had each other now, and neither of them would ever be lonely again. "I know I can't take Lucy's place, but I love you more than anything, Liv, and I'm always gonna be here for you." He lifted her hand to his lips and brushed it with a kiss.

She nuzzled into him, soft and loving and all his, just as she had always been. Even when she had been pretending to be Lucy, Liv had always had that unique quality that made her tender toward Johnny, despite the cruelty of that first trick. Her honesty had saved him from having his heart broken and offered to put it back together for him in the same breath, and each day, she promised anew never to hurt him or leave him. It meant the world to her to hear him make the same promise back to her. "Come on," she said quietly, rising to her feet and tossing her coat onto a nearby chair. "Let's go back to the party." Her brown eyes sparkled playfully, reminiscent of her sister but only barely. "I'm going to get drunk and do lewd things to you for Christmas."

He laughed, happily and richly, full-heartedly, the homesickness temporarily forgotten. Even if they weren't Grangers, they had been welcomed into their home like family, and they weren't alone. "I'm gonna hold you to that promise," he remarked as he moved to his feet beside her, tweaking her nose gently. "I need to make a toast." He smiled, wanting everyone to know how happy he was and how very much he loved her. The goal was not to embarass her, but to let the world know how much he loved the woman who was going to be his wife.

"Yes, you do," she agreed with a quiet giggle, her nose scrunching as she swayed back away from his tweaking finger and thumb. "But I'm walking back down, thank you very much." Her hand went to the back hem of her dress, smoothing it against her legs as she remembered the trip up here in the first place. She turned, offering her fiance a cheeky little smirk, and offered him her elbow. "Shall we, Mister Storm?"

He was not quite as smartly dressed as her, having chosen to dress casually for the party, but none of that mattered. Though they might be exact opposites, that was what made their relationship work, and it showed not only in their personalities, but even in their choice of clothing for the evening. Johnny linked his arm with Liv's, somewhat amused by her suddenly formal manner. "What do you think Humphrey will say?" he asked, growing slowly fonder of the old man the more time he spent with him.

She quailed briefly at the thought of facing up to the Old Man of the Granger family once again, her face going just a little paler than usual. Liv and Humphrey had gotten off on the wrong foot, and between her timidity and his refusal to ever admit when he was wrong, they hadn't managed to find level ground yet. She wasn't holding out much hope that they ever would, preferring to fly under his radar. "Congratulations, I hope," she managed as they headed back out and onto the landing, aiming themselves for the staircase down into the merriment below.

He was sorely tempted to slide down the bannister, but for her sake, he contained his boyish impulses and maintained at least a modicum of propriety. "His bark is worse than his bite, believe me. He's an old softie. Did you see him with the kids" He likes being surrounded by family. You can see it in his eyes," Johnny remarked, proving there was a brain behind the brash personality of his.

She hugged his arm, appreciating that he was trying to will her into letting go of her wariness around an elderly man who couldn't really do her any harm. "That doesn't mean I'm going to stop being scared of him, though," she admitted quietly, her smile a little rueful. "Not everyone experiences the same side of him as you, or the rest of the Grangers, sweetheart. I think he likes having someone intimidated by him."

"Then don't let him intimidate you, Liv. Surprise him. Do something he wouldn't expect." He left it up to her to figure out just what that might be, but he knew his Liv, and he knew that what she lacked in self-confidence, she more than made up for in caring, thoughtfulness, and insight. She had seen something in Johnny than no one else had; all she had to do was open her eyes and her heart that same way to Humphrey. He led her down the grand staircase, coming to a halt as they reached the final stair, turning her to face him and lifting her chin to meet his gaze. "You can do anything you put your mind to, Liv. I believe in you."

For just a moment, the familiar guilt had flared in her eyes - that sense of blame for the horror that Jon and Vicki had almost been subjected to a month before still biting deep enough to color the small woman's approach to the Old Man of the family. But she wiped it away, knowing Johnny didn't like to see it, to know that she had yet to forgive herself for that disaster. She smiled as he lifted her chin, reaffirming his faith in her, and leaned in close to touch his lips with her own. "Then maybe one day I'll learn to fly." And it wasn't sarcasm or dismissal of his faith, but a genuine ambition - that one day she'd learn to touch the sky as he did.

"You can fly anytime you want," he agreed with a soft smile, touching his lips to her for in answer to her kiss. "All you have to do is ask," he told her, nudging his nose to hers. He had taken her flying once out of necessity to save her life, never asking if she wanted to repeat the experience just for fun, never considering she might want to, but he didn't want her to become like him. As much as he delighted in what he had become, it hadn't been easy, and he wished it on no one.

"I'm asking," she murmured softly. Never much of a thrill seeker, nonetheless with Johnny Liv had learned how to appreciate the occasional risk and thrill of danger, but had never quite had the courage to ask him to take her above the city again. That first flight was engraved in her memory, not for the shock of the fire that had spawned the need for it, but for the fact that it had been the first time he had held her close and known she was Olivia. "But another time, not right now," she added with a quiet giggle, stepping down and onto the polished wooden floor of the main foyer.

He chuckled, more than a little surprised at her request, but pleased she'd had the courage to ask him. "Not tonight. Not in that dress," he remarked, eying not only the dress but the graceful curves the softly draped fabric hinted at. "You look pretty," he told her, having told her the same thing earlier in the evening, but repeating himself, only having eyes for her, no matter how many other pretty girls were present or how many were batting their lashes at him. He turned to take her arm once again and lead her back into the multitude of Grangers that had been gathered to celebrate Christmas.

She giggled again, hugging her arms about his proffered elbow once more as he led her into the merry little throng that seemed on the verge of changing its location from the main room to the study for the Old Man's specially collected, highly alcoholic treats. "I'm only pretty when I'm with you," she told him, believing every word, aware that certain pairs of eyes had honed in on them and on the sparkling addition that sat on her left hand. "You're so handsome, some of it rubs off."

A small frown appeared on Johnny's face, as it always did whenever she put herself down, and he came to a halt, uncaring of who was watching or what they might think, turning to face her once again, taking her hands in his as he pointedly met her gaze. "Liv, don't. You're the most beautiful woman I've ever met. It's not just the way you look either. It's everything about you. You're beautiful from the inside out."

She blushed under his gaze, guessing before he opened his mouth that she was about to be scolded, however gently, for her unthinking, instinctive habit of putting herself down. She was going to have to learn not to do it out loud if she wanted him to stop telling her off for it. Her hands tightened in his as he spoke, a momentary sheen in her eyes proving the warmth and deep affection that had urged him to speak in the first place. "I'll try," she promised him softly, knowing she couldn't promise to change overnight. But for Johnny, she would try, and keep trying, to learn a little more confidence in herself and the world around her.

He needed no proof to know that she was beautiful, in body, mind, and spirit; he only had to somehow make her believe it herself. Maybe there was a better way to make her understand. She had done so much for him, and he wanted to do the same for her. "Liv, you're the only one who's ever really believed in me. Before I met you, I didn't even believe in myself. You helped me find myself. You helped me become someone better."

"You've always been someone better," she told him, uncaring that others could overhear them in the melee of party goers around them. And she truly believed that, too, the honesty of that statement shining in her eyes and voice as she looked up at him. "I love you, Johnny. Loving you makes me a better person, too."

"Don't you see that it works both ways, Liv?" he asked, giving her hands a gentle squeeze, trying to make her understand. "I'm a better person because of you. You're amazing. All you have to do is believe in yourself the way I believe in you. The way you believe in me." He sighed, unsure if he was making sense, not really one for getting very philosophical about things. "Why do you think I fell in love with you and not Lucy?"

Johnny Storm

Date: 2012-12-21 23:59 EST
"I'm trying, I am," she protested quietly, a little distressed that she had somehow disappointed him with one unthinking comment about herself. "I don't mean to be so difficult, Johnny, really I don't. I will try harder, I promise." Her hands tightened on his, not willfully misunderstanding but simply unused to such fervent insistence that she was anything as wonderful as he was. "I won't say it again. Please don't be angry with me."

He smiled warmly and affectionately back at her. She was so much like himself in some ways and so different in others, but he understood this part of her because it was part of himself. "I'm not angry, Liv. I just want you to know how special you are, not just to me, but to everyone. To Lucy, Steve, Jon, Vicki, everyone you meet. You don't even have to try, Liv. Just be yourself. That's all you have to do." He stepped close to touch his lips to hers in a warm, gentle and reassuring kiss, brief but full of love and affection.

His smile kept the upset at bay, his kiss easing her away from the distress of having upset him with her obtuse insistence on not being exactly what he knew she was. Her hand rose to rest over his heart as he stepped close, the tension bleeding from her gently in that instant. She wasn't foolish enough to declare that only his opinion mattered to her, because they both knew that everyone's opinion struck deep, good or bad, stranger, enemy, or friend. But she managed to raise her smile for him again as he retreated, determined not to spoil his evening with silly self-esteem issues. "At least we know I'm good at that," she offered, a compromise of sorts offered with an apologetic half-shrug.

He smiled, as if nothing she could say or do could take that smile from his face or the happiness from his heart. "I love you, Livvie. We're going to have an amazing life together. You'll see." He brushed a kiss against her cheek before stepping back to offer her his arm again and brave the crowd of Grangers who were watching and waiting.

"I love you back." Hooking her arm through his, she stayed close to his side, never at ease in a crowd especially when she knew their attention was about to be called to her. But Johnny was good at that, at being the center of attention, and she never denied him the chance to enjoy the limelight, however brief or long it might be.

Johnny led Liv through the group of people that was slowly changing, diminishing as some departed and went their own ways, while others stayed on. The party seemed to be moving to the study where Humphrey was entertaining those who had stayed on. Johnny recognized a few faces, some of whom he knew by name, some who he did not. Jon and Vicki were snuggling on the couch, seemingly with eyes only for each other, while others mingled and quietly chatted with family and friends.

Liv, for her part, recognised a few more purely by chance, unable to keep herself from smiling at the sight of the children who remained sat together in front of the study's Christmas tree, still stuffing their mouths with the sweet treats that were so prolific on the tables in the other room. She glanced at her boss and his wife, feeling almost voyeuristic in the face of their obvious adoration for each other, and quickly looked away, steeling herself for the announcement Johnny was so eager to make.

Johnny's gaze drifted to the group of children gathered together beside the tree, remembering his own less than happy childhood and knowing Liv's hadn't been much better. He quietly wondered if they'd ever have children of their own, but if they did, he knew they'd make sure to give them a happy childhood, the kind neither of them had ever had. After a moment, he blinked out of his thoughts and looking to Humphrey almost expectantly, not really wanting to interrupt but wanting to share the good news.

The Old Man raised his eyes from his own conversation, catching Johnny's eye, and smirked a little to himself. He apologised quietly to his companion, turning to clear his throat loudly, the sound cutting through the conversations to draw most of the attention to himself. "It would appear Mr Storm has something he'd like to say to us," Humphrey declared, not even attempting to ease into some kind of introduction. He nodded once to Johnny, his gaze flickering to Liv for a split second before he stepped back to his companion's side, giving the Human Torch the floor.

Johnny cleared his throat a little nervously, not expecting to be given the floor quite so easily by the Old Man, especially considering the fact that this was not his family and he and Liv were only here because of the kindness of Jon and Vicki. He had only planned on making a toast, and now it seemed, he was being looked upon expectantly to do more than merely announce a wedding engagement.

As much as she might have liked to have sink into the floor or run away as curious eyes turned toward them, Liv forced herself to stand her ground, albeit it so close in beside Johnny she might as well have been hiding behind him. She swallowed, her hands squeezing convulsively about Johnny's arm, hoping this was going to be over fairly quickly.

Johnny felt Liv sink into him, and he tucked her close, patting her hand reassuringly. "I, uh....I know some of you are probably wondering what we're doing here, intruding on your family gathering. Unlike most of you, Liv and I aren't from Rhy'Din, and we don't have much in the way of family here. With Humphrey's leave, Jon and Vicki were kind enough to invite us here to join in their family's festivities, since we have no families of our own here to join us. I'd just like to take a moment to thank you all for welcoming us and inviting us into your lives, if only for one night. I'd....uh..." Johnny glanced to Liv for a moment as if to ask permission to continue. "If you all don't mind, I'd also like to take a moment to officially announce our intentions to be married, if Liv can put up with me long enough to be my bride." He turned to Liv again, beaming a smile as bright as the sun.

The smile he received in return for his beaming sign of adoration was equally bright, equally loving, and dissolved very quickly into an embarrassed giggle when what could only be Victoria Granger let out a whoop of a cheer, joined by an excitable bark from the dog draped over hers and Jon's laps. "I told you!" the redhead declared triumphantly to her husband. "Didn't I say?"

Jon chuckled, having lost yet another bet. He would more than likely be at Vicki's beck and call for the next week because of it, not that he minded really. A bet was a bet, after all, and Vicki had won fair and square. He was the first one to get to his feet - carefully so as not to jostle his very pregnant wife overly much -and congratulate the newly-engaged couple, disturbing the dog on his lap who hopped off and barked in excitement, watching his master grasp the hand of one of his other favorite humans and give it a squeeze. "Congratulations!" Jon clapped Johnny on the back, cheeks dimpling beneath the light beard. "It's about time!" he added, letting go of Johnny's hand to sweep Liv up into an almost brotherly hug.

Liv let out a startled squeak as her employer and friend almost lifted her off her feet in a hug she hadn't been expecting, laughing quietly as the sound seemed to signal the restart of the many conversations that had been paused for the announcement. There wasn't a cheer or round of applause so much as a ripple of warm congratulations from the various corners of the big study. As Liv slipped away to hug Vicki, who had taken full advantage of being pregnant not to get up, Humphrey reached a hand toward Johnny. Only the twinkle in his brown eyes spoke of the very definite approval that he felt. "Silly girl said yes, then," he said, his tone just short of being teasing by sheer dint of effort. "Try not to break her, there's a good lad. Jon's only just got used to having her around, you know."

Johnny beamed a grin back at Humphrey, sensing the approval beneath the teasing warning. "She did." His head turned to follow Liv as she slipped way to hug Vicki. "To be honest, I was terrified she'd turn me down." Jon chuckled at both men, a sly wink to Humphrey, as he patted Johnny on the back. "Anyone can see she adores you. You were a shoo-in."

"No woman who can put up with you for eight months without a single incident is going to turn you down, you daft boy," Humph pointed out with a smirk, rolling his eyes at the ridiculous idea that Olivia might ever have even considered saying no. "You're not that bad." He nodded to Johnny once more, and returned to his conversation again, leaving the newly engaged Torch with his girlfriend's employer, while a peal of laughter from the couch suggested that Vicki was taking advantage of the moment to make a few less than socially acceptable suggestions into Liv's ear.

"Well, at least, he's not yelling at me anymore!" Johnny said to Jon with a smirk, and the two of them turned back to their girls who seemed to be conspiring against them. "She said she's going to get drunk and do lewd things to me," Johnny whispered beneath his breath to Jon, but Jon only laughed.

"And you have a problem with that?"

"Hell, no!" Johnny replied. "Just never saw Liv get drunk before." Lucy, yes. Liv, no. Johnny had a feeling Liv would be worshiping the porcelain god, rather than him, if she got a little too tipsy.

If the blush on Liv's face was anything to go by, it would appear that she was being given some quite explicit instructions on some of those lewd things she might well be attempting later in the evening. When, finally, she broke away from Vicki, she was giggling wildly, red as a beetroot, and not quite able to meet Johnny's eye, much less Jon's. "Your wife," she informed her boss as she tucked herself against her fiance's side, "is absolutely shameless."

Jon grinned shamelessly back. "Yes, I know. That's one of the things I like best about her." He was about to return to his wife's side when he was struck with a sudden afterthought. "I'm not sure what you are planning, but if you need anything, let us know. Anything at all." He left the offer open-ended, allowing them to interpret it however they wished.

Given the nature of the conversation she'd just been having with Vicki, Liv could be forgiven for her mind leaping straight to something that made her eyes grow wide with disbelief. "A-anything?" she stammered, her blush returning hot. A moment later, she'd hidden her face against Johnny's chest, hoping like hell neither man had picked up on where her mind had wandered.

Johnny Storm

Date: 2012-12-22 00:03 EST
"Well, I don't think you'd be too interested in couple swapping, so I'm not going to suggest that," he smirked, with a knowing glance toward Vicki. He had no idea what the two women had been discussing, but he knew Vicki well enough to know it most likely had something to do with sex.

Johnny drew Liv to his chest, his arms going around his bashful fiancee. "We appreciate the offer, but we'll be fine," he replied, assuming Liv's boss was thinking more along the lines of cash.

Vicki's smile was just too sweet to be entirely trustworthy as she settled back onto the couch with Cosmo, watching as Liv surfaced from her moment of acute embarrassment to offer Jon a faintly shy smile of her own. "Thank you, Jon," she nodded, aware that he was already helping her set something up for Johnny in a week's time. Hopefully no one was going to give that little surprise away.

"Anytime," Jon replied, and politely excused himself to return to his wife on the couch and more than likely malign her about what she had been whispering to Liv, showing no hint that he knew anything about any surprise to take place the following week.

Once they were once again alone - or as alone as a couple could get in the midst of a crowd of people most of whom they didn't know - Johnny bent his head to Liv, his voice low. "See" That wasn't so bad." He kissed her brow. "Care for that drink now, or would you like to show me what you and Vicki were whispering about?"

Liv giggled once again, leaning gratefully into him as he kissed her brow. "I think I'll need the drink if you want a demonstration," she admitted, her hand hovering in front of her mouth to catch the laughter that was bubbling up almost uncontrollably. "She's so brazen, I can't even get through one innocent conversation with that woman without blushing."

"Reminds me of someone else we know," he said, assuming she'd know he meant Lucy. He glanced over at Jon and Vicki whose heads were together and were giggling madly as some private joke, then around the room at the others who all seemed lost once again in their own conversations. "Think anyone would miss us if we snuck out?" he asked, pulling her closer. They had been offered a room for the night, and he'd had enough socializing for one evening.

It took a moment to realise that Johnny had just compared Vicki with Lucy, but the laugh that escaped on that realisation was loud and full, infectious enough to spread a smile through the room as Liv hugged close to her fiance. "Oh, I hope they won't," she heard herself say, wondering if brazen hussy-ness was contagious and if it was, whether she should spend more time with Victoria Granger. She looked up at Johnny, drawing her fingertips along the line of his jaw. "Merry Christmas, sweetheart."

Johnny slid his arms around Liv's waist, smiling warmly down at her as he had been nearly all evening, holding her close as if they were the only ones in the room. "Merry Christmas, baby," he echoed, dipping his head to meet her lips and kiss her soundly and completely.

Despite the quiet protest that reverberated against his lips at the scale of the kiss he bestowed on her, Liv responded with eager warmth to the embrace, only remembering to blush when it was done. She glanced shyly about, hesitantly looking back up at her fiance. "Do we have to stay down here for long?"

"We don't have to stay down here at all," he replied, his lips close to hers as he leaned his forehead against hers. "Do you want to sneak away?" he asked, eyes shining brightly. He thought they'd socialized enough. All he really wanted was to be alone and hold her close.

She grinned softly up at him, the scrunch of her nose brushing the tip against his as her arms wound about his waist, revelling in his heat as she always did. "That depends," was her quietly playful response. "Have you calmed down enough to sneak, or are you going to throw me over your shoulder like a sack of potatoes again?"

He chuckled at her reply, though they both knew he was practically incapable of doing anything quietly. "Throwing you over my shoulder isn't exactly sneaking, Liv, and I had a reason for doing that! Or did you want me to give you your Christmas present where everyone could see?"

"Oh, you mean the sex isn't part of the present?" she asked innocently, and from Liv's lips that was definitely something to startle even the most jaded listener. She smiled up at him, reaching up to pat his cheek. "I'll just head on up," she told him with disarming sweetness. "Maybe you'll join me?"

Johnny's eyebrows perked and a slightly confused look crossed his face. Did she just say sex" It was like saying the word "walk" to Cosmo. "I thought I was going with you." There was that boyish pout again, like a kid who had been sent to bed without supper.

"Well, you seem a little undecided," she told him with admirable impishness, leaning close to murmur into his ear, taking advantage of a little comment of Vicki's. "I thought maybe if I got up there first, I could get into the leather corset, crotchless panties, and spiked heels before you found me. Or is that too complicated for Christmas Eve?"

Johnny's mouth hung open for a split second before he exclaimed a bit too loudly for privacy, "The what"!" He almost immediately realized that he'd said that a bit too loudly and looked around to see if anyone had noticed.

Blushing, Liv gently shut his mouth with a fingertip and tipped him a wink. "You heard." She blew him a kiss and slipped out of his grasp, purposely not looking anywhere near Jon and Vicki as she made her way past them toward the door and the foyer beyond. Those two were far too observant at times.

Unfortunately, Jon and Vicki had noticed and had their heads together, snickering wildly at each other as they casually observed Liv and Johnny, hoping they'd rub off on them yet. Johnny hardly noticed, however, turning to watch Liv depart, before hurrying after her. "Gotta go! Goodnight, everyone!" he called, turning to wave a hand back at the gathering. "Merry Christmas!" He turned back to catch up to Liv, shouting, "Wait for me!" as he hurried away from the study.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Johnny's Gifts to Liv:

http://i46.tinypic.com/24b45kg.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/bhzrsi.jpg

((Kudos to Liv's AWESOME player for indulging me and Johnny with the above scene. :grin:))

Dr Greenthumb Granger

Date: 2012-12-22 00:19 EST
Despite his love of having the house filled with family, with the festivities well under way, Humphrey had managed to drag himself away from the growing gathering of small children who always seemed to congregate around his chair on Christmas Eve to rise and mingle with the adults who had taken time out of the evening to come and celebrate with them. He didn't ask much of his family, just that they come to him on Christmas Eve, and often most of them obliged.

Every year there were a few faces missing, and this year those missing faces were numerous. But there was one lingering near the alcohol that made him smile, however briefly. It had been more than ten years since Gigi had come to the manor of her own volition, and though he doubted it had anything to do with wiling away a few hours with family, he was happy to see that she was there.

He reached her just as she breathed her hope for some undisclosed deity to assist her, and couldn't help offering up a comment in return, leaning heavily on his stick at her back. "Would you like help, or just a f**k?"

"What an obscene proposal. I see you've gotten more perverted in your age, Old Man." Gigi's voice retained its dry humor though for a brief moment she caught herself smiling. It was reflexive in his presence. If their family was a twisted tree, Humphrey was the sun that saw to every leaf and twig. He may very well have been the firmament that encased their whole world and stood between every Granger's reality and the heavens.

Teddy would have appreciated the grandiose allusion. Gigi hated that no matter how far she ran or how much rage she held in her heart she would never shake free from the spell of their great patriarch. She could not separate herself from those childhood memories tied to her core of so many days spent happily in his company. Even the smell of his familiar cologne felt comforting.

With a sigh she turned around to face him. "You're still spry enough to sneak up on people, I'll give you that." She smirked. "You should show me where you keep your swords if you're intent on becoming a ninja this late in life." The disconcerting eyes took a look around at the gathered family before fixing on him. She leaned in so that her next few words would be lost in the hum of noise from their merry relatives. "We should talk." Privately. That last word lived in the stress placed on the other three without needing to be said.

Humphrey snorted with laughter at her allusion to his sneakiness, knowing it was kind words and nothing more. But kind words, however they were wrapped up, were rare enough from Gigi that he appreciated them more than if they had come from another source. "You think I'm bad now, wait until you see the slinky stealth wheelchair waiting in the wings for when the hip gives out completely," he threatened through a smirk of his own, the quirk of his lips echoing that of his younger relative as he leaned near her.

Her own lean was not lost on him. Nor were the curious glances being sent their way by several of the older Grangers. Gigi's own generation knew not to make a fuss of her appearance, but her parents" generation hadn't yet tied together the sweet child with the prickly adult. They were also notorious gossips, most of them, and Humphrey didn't want suspicion and difficulty falling onto Gigi's head just because this was the only place she could have guaranteed finding him at short notice.

"Well, since you're here," he said, his voice loud enough to carry to the curious ears nearby but not so loud as to be obviously laying a false rumor, "- and it is charming to see you, of course - why don't you come into the library' It's been a long time since you and I shared a drink over a good book." Tactfully, he didn't mention that the drink she'd had the last time it had happened had been chocolate milk, simply offering her his arm with a charming display of old-school manners. He had a feeling he knew what she wanted to talk to him about, and hoped she found something a little lighter to take home with her, however long she chose to stay.

With much effort she willed a small smile onto her face, one that held less bite than normal. Gigi took his arm and mentally cursed herself for momentarily relishing the more intimate gesture. Away from Maple Grove it was easy to block out any things she missed about the people and the place itself and only focus on what poisons the Granger name could carry. Here, drinking in the old sights and smells on their path to the library she, Teddy, and even Clayton when he could bear their company, spent many rainy afternoons exploring, it was not as simple to forget.

Once they were tucked away from prying eyes (though one never knew what sneaking ears lurked inside the mansion), Gigi broke free from the embrace as if Humphrey's arm burned her. It clouded her head to be here with him and she coveted her clarity. "You're a good actor, Old Man. We both know I'm the farthest f**king thing from charming." A last immature stab at rebelling against her own nostalgic feelings and love for him with the crude opening. "I'm here because Jon may not have his memories but he's gotten enough of the picture of what happened after his accident that I have to find Eli. And from what I gather Jon hasn't learned the full picture," she locked eyes with Humphrey then, 'so you're going to want to help me find him and figure out how to clean up his motherf**king mess."

It might have hurt him how quickly she slipped from his grasp, but the Old Man knew this particular generation of his family better than perhaps they might like. Just the fact that she was there was enough to bring a smile to his face, even if it was on business unpleasant to most. "Crude as you try to be, Gigi love, you are still a charming young woman, whether you like it or not," Humphrey informed her with perfect clarity of his own, letting her move away and turn to the business she had come to discuss.

The reminder of how close Jon and his wife had come to total disaster brought a faint frown to his face as he painfully lowered himself into a chair. He knew most of what went on with the family, and Jon himself had shared quite a few of the details after the ....incident. He looked up at Gigi, meeting her gaze steadily. "I gather your search has proved fruitless thus far, then," he said calmly, refusing to give into the temper that flared at any hint of danger to his family. "I am uncertain, truly, what has happened with Elias. He had a laboratory beneath the Community Faith Family Medicine and Triage Center in WestEnd, though reports indicate that he has not frequented that locale for almost a year. I have also heard that he may have gone looking for vampires, in which case you may well be searching for the first Granger vampire."

Gigi refrained from rebuking Humphrey on the matter of her charm. She grimaced at the last piece of news. "I knew he was bat sh*t crazy but I didn't take him for a masochist."

Humphrey's brown eyes turned concerned, deeply worried for her in that moment as he looked on one of the self-proclaimed black sheep of the family. "Be careful, Gigi," he warned her, sounding as old as he looked in that moment. "If, at any time, the danger to you grows too great, abandon the search. We can live in ignorance without losing you, too." We've lost too much already.

It had been so long since she experienced someone in her family exhibiting such paternal concern for her that Gigi hadn't realized she missed it until she saw Humphrey's expression. Little girls with daddy issues hit the pole, not the streets to deal drugs, Gigi, she reminded herself snidely, harshest to herself most of all. It pricked her though to note the weather of the years in his face. She forgot the consequences of being careless with time. It was a finite resource and who knew how many more occasions for meeting they would have.

"I..." Gigi lost her thorns for a moment but could not bring herself to give life to those words that should have been shared. She could only nod. "OK."

Then she remembered what started this all in the first place. A lovesick girl with a crush and a gun. "I should have taken care of it all myself the first time." She darkly remarked. Humphrey may not have known the particulars, what tasks Gigi and Elias split amongst them when they found Susie, but he had not been left in the dark. He knew they meant to handle it outside the law and that they thought their work finished. Their error proved disastrous. "You will look harder too, yes?" She could not outright ask for his help, at least not without the guise of blackmail or some other threat that made them cohorts out of shared circumstance and not family.

He smiled gently, rising to his feet once more to lay a warm hand on her shoulder if she would allow it. "I am always looking, little one," he assured her quietly. "One by one, I will find you - all of you - whenever you go astray, even if it takes me to the end of my life and beyond." From the desk behind him, he took a small leather-bound book, offering it to her. "Your Teddy gave me this the year before he died," Humphrey told her gently. "But the inscription, I think, was intended for you. I should like you to have it, Gigi." His hand, so gnarled with age, was soft against her cheek for the barest moment. "Family is bone-deep, my spiky little love. Even if you walk away and never look back, there is always a place for you, here at the heart of it. All of you."

"You've still got balls." Her gaze ticked down at his hand on her shoulder but her words were quiet. Not soft by normal standards, she carried too much steel and iron in every part of her needing protecting for softness to stick to her words. But they lacked that jagged edge meant for the barbs she usually chose to spit.

Her fingers wrapped too tightly around the book and gave away her eagerness for the gift. Another relic of her brother's who grew more saintly every year her memory was all she had left to know him by. She did not dare to read the inscription now. Whatever her brother left there could entirely undo her with the memories it might trigger. "All right, Poppy, all right." The "thank you? that belonged there would have to be heard in the fact that she slipped into calling him by the childhood nickname for him. Humphrey had served as another grandfather regardless of the technicality.

"Well, my darling, without my balls, this family would be a lot smaller," Humphrey chuckled, appreciating the childhood nickname more than most would imagine he might. But then, only the Grangers ever saw this side of the Old Man - the gentleness that tempered his own steel, offered freely to those of his blood and those they had chosen to make their lives with. Even when he dressed someone down for their behavior, he never lost that milder side that softened the blow. "Now that we have that serious business done, would you indulge an old man by matching me drink for drink at the bar, little one?"

"May as well make a f**king Christmas miracle out of it." Gigi paused to qualify her point. "I'll stay but can't promise I'll behave."

That would do for today. Humphrey offered her his arm once again and guided her back into the common room, his twinkly-eyed charm once more in full view, knowing he couldn't hold her there for long. But however long she chose to stay, it would be enough. She had her place here, like all the others who had come before and would come after, a last bastion of the family she had almost eschewed for good.

((A giant thank you to Humphrey's player for working on this with me, lots of fun!))

Piper Granger

Date: 2012-12-24 13:37 EST
Desmond had spent a good part of the evening in quiet and casual observance, watching the various members of his estranged father's family mix, mingle, and make merry, a stranger among them, a black sheep, no matter what Miranda or Humphrey or Caroline said. He knew he was different, a lost sheep they were trying to return to the flock, though it was a flock he'd never been part of. He'd sat quietly, sipping a glass of Humphrey's best bourbon, while a few brave souls came over to introduce themselves and make friendly conversation, but eventually, they'd wander off to return to those they knew better, those they were comfortable with, those they'd come here to see. It didn't really bother him that he was left mostly alone, or so it seemed.

His estranged siblings seemed to be avoiding him like the plague, or maybe they were just too busy making merry to notice him hovering on the edges, like a wallflower. He was, of course, nothing of the kind, at least, back home, but this wasn't home, and he was as much as stranger to them as they were to him. He was averaging a glass of bourbon an hour, and after two hours of casual observation, he was just getting ready to make his excuses and turn in early when he noticed something that changed his mind.

Or more accurately, someone. He knew her name. He'd committed every face he'd been shown in the Granger Family album to memory, along with every name. He knew enough about her to know that she, too, like him was an outsider, welcomed and accepted as part of the family, yet not really one of them. He watched as she carefully mingled, keeping herself just aloof enough that he could tell she wasn't much more comfortable here than he was. It wasn't so much her beauty that struck him - he'd seen plenty of beautiful women before. Hell, he'd slept with women beautiful enough to put Angelina Jolie to shame.

It wasn't so much her beauty that struck him as the sense of sadness that seemed to surround her. Though she smiled and laughed with the rest of them, there was something in her eyes that told him it was mostly for show. Well, he understood what that felt like. The little girl in her arms gave him pause, though. There was something different about her, too, though he couldn't quite put his finger on it. After a while, he realized he was staring.

It was then that he suddenly found Caroline at his side, relieved it wasn't Miranda offering a penny for his thoughts. He finished off his third glass of bourbon in so many hours and refilled his glass to start on his fourth. He wasn't driving, after all, and only had to stumble his way back to the garage apartment where he was staying for a few days, that had once belonged to Caroline.

Caroline offered him a smile, rather than a penny, taking a sip from her own glass of depressingly non-alcoholic soda. "And how are you surviving the evening, Des?" she asked, somehow managing to convey interest without concern for his quietness with her tone. "Met anyone you'd like to deck yet, or are you considering playing Musical Bumps with the children instead?" Of course she'd noticed in which direction he'd been looking, but unlike several other members of the family, Caroline had developed a rather more subtle approach to such things.

Desmond gave his astute cousin a sidelong glance, a completely serious look on his face as he lifted the glass of bourbon in anticipation of yet another sip. "I'm considering sneaking out and finishing my drinking in private, if you must know," he replied, turning back to watch the group of merrymakers, his gaze drifting briefly back to the woman he'd just been privately contemplating.

Caroline's smile softened a little, understanding the wish to escape but not actually believing that this was his intention just yet. "Nice try," she complimented him on the attempt to seem nonchalant, though. She nodded toward the object of his contemplation, watching as the woman in question swayed with her daughter in her arms, waving off the latest conversationalist with a smile from both of them. "The worst that can happen is that she tells you to go away, you know. And I don't think she'd do that."

"The worst she can do is break my heart," he replied, before he could stop himself. Must have been the bourbon loosening his tongue. "Sorry. That was uncalled for," he added quickly, taking a deeper swallow of his drink, regretting the slip of the tongue that was usually so carefully guarded. "You want to introduce me, so you can laugh when she tells me to take a hike?"

For a moment, Caroline's smile faded as she glanced between Des and the woman he'd been watching for such a long while. "No, I think the last thing she would want to do is break your heart," she told him quietly. "She's not got the best track record when it comes to men. Just be careful you don't break hers."

Brightening again, she took him firmly by the elbow and drew him over to the window, catching the eye of the woman in question and sharing a smile with her. "Piper, I'd like you to meet Desmond, Jon's elder brother, fresh from Earth and feeling a little like a fish out of water," she opened up the introductions, turning to look at Des with a twinkle in her eyes not unlike that of her grandfather. "Des, this is Piper, and her daughter, Lyneth. Have fun!" With a wink, she slipped away.

Piper's blue eyes blinked wide with startled amusement at the fly-by introduction, but she turned her full-lipped smile onto Des easily, hiking her daughter a little higher on her hip before unwrapping a hand to offer over to him. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Desmond," she greeted him in her soft voice, polite and warm despite the gentle sense of distance.

The little girl on her hip raised her head off Piper's shoulder, blinking weary turquoise eyes, and offered Des a gap-toothed smile. "'ullo."

Desmond winced a little at the introduction, the carefully-guarded, normally-stoic expression changing for a split second, hinting that there was a human heart capable of emotion beating somewhere inside the confines of his expensive designer suit. At least, he looked the part of a Granger, even if he didn't feel like one of them yet. It felt just a little awkward to be introduced as someone's brother, especially someone who was still little more than a stranger. "Glub," Des remarked, doing his best fish out of water impression, but actually quirking a small smile. It was at least heartening to know he did, in fact, possess a sense of humor, despite his usually serious exterior.

Piper Granger

Date: 2012-12-24 13:39 EST
"Is it just me or is she trying to play matchmaker?" he asked, turning to Piper as Caroline retreated. He shifted the glass of bourbon to his left hand in order to offer her his right. "The pleasure's all mine," he countered, hoping that didn't sound too much like a pick-up line. The smile he offered Lyneth, though, was really something to behold. It was unexpectedly warm and friendly. "Hello, sleepyhead. I'm Desmond. If it's okay with you, I'm going to talk to your mother for a little while."

His fish impression brought almost identical smiles to Piper and Lyneth's faces, a tiny giggle bursting from the little girl nestled close against her mother's side even as she watched his hand take Piper's in a friendly squeeze of introduction. Piper's smile deepened a moment at the comment about Caroline. "Well, if she is, she's not being very subtle about it," she agreed quietly, tucking her hand back under Lyneth to hold the girl securely, surprised and touched that he then chose to speak directly to her daughter.

Lyneth studied him for a long moment - almost too long for comfort - before nodding, giving her permission for him to stay and talk. She poked her mother's shoulder. "Hump'y got me a presthent," she informed Piper seriously. "I wanna go see."

Piper raised an eyebrow at the little girl until she added a belated, "pleasthe", and bent to put her back on her feet. "Go on, then."

Beaming her gap-toothed smile, Lyneth patted Piper's knee fondly and turned to Des. "We didn't get a presthent for you," she told him apologetically. "'Costh we didn't know you wasth - were - comin'. I'll find thsomething for you." Nodding importantly, she toddled off, picking her way between adults to leap on Humphrey with merciless enthusiasm.

Desmond chuckled a little at the girl's forthrightness. She was obviously brighter than an average child of her age, and completely adorable. She was going to break a few hearts herself one day - he could see it coming - so long as it wasn't his. "A bit precocious for her age, isn't she" How old is she" Two' Three?" He took a guess, not all that familiar with children, but noticing the little girl was unusually mature.

He watched as she patted her mother's knee fondly, almost patronizingly, before toddling off to tackle poor Humphrey. "His knee is getting a workout tonight," he remarked, as he watched the old man and his entourage of children. Despite his feelings of awkwardness, the old man was slowly growing on him. He couldn't really say the same for the rest of the family just yet.

Watching her daughter pounce on the Old Man, Piper chuckled softly, lifting a hand to sweep her sable hair back out of her face. "She turned one in November," she told Des without a flicker of hesitation, well used to this explanation by now but not offering it unless he pressed further. "Humphrey doesn't get to play with all the children very often, but he does enjoy it. He spent most of last year's party hiking Lynnie around on one arm." She turned her large eyes onto Des, her expression declaring polite interest before she spoke again. "What brings you to Rhy'Din, Desmond?"

He arched a curious brow, but said nothing more about her daughter's obvious precociousness. He might not know much about children, but he knew enough to know very few one year olds spoke in clear sentences and walked around like miniature adults. He blinked out of these thoughts as she brushed off his questions and posed one to him. "Me?" he asked, taking a small sip of his bourbon. "Short story' Miranda. It's the only way I could get her to stop pestering me about meeting family."

"Miranda?" She paused, trying to put a face to the name, and eventually came up with an appropriate link. "Oh, Cian and Gabi's aunt, of course." Piper laughed quietly, shaking her head a little. "I've been in this family for over a year and I still have trouble with names and faces," she confessed. "Thankfully, they don't seem to mind very much."

He huffed, completely able to relate to her frustration, though he had been gifted - or cursed - with the kind of memory for names, faces, and details that served him well in the courtroom. "She's a pain in my *ss, most of the time, but she means well," Desmond remarked with an amused smile. Complain as he might about Miranda Granger, she was more than likely his closest friend and confidante. "She tracked me down in New York a few years ago, and I haven't been able to get rid of her since."

"Yes, Grangers do tend to be persistent," Piper agreed, and for a moment that pall of sadness that wrapped about her came into stark contrast as she glanced away, her beautiful face solemn before she made the effort to resume her smile. "I didn't know Jon had a brother," she said, attempting to restart the conversation and take her thoughts away from the hope that one Granger would not be so persistent as his family were. "He's never mentioned you, I don't think."

"You haven't heard then," he replied, noticing the hint of sadness in her eyes, as she glanced abruptly away. A natural master at reading people, he caught the frown that clouded her face before she tried to mask it with a smile, but said nothing of it, knowing enough about her from what Caroline and Humphrey had told him to make a guess at the cause. "Well, you're going to find out sooner or later, so I might as well tell you. I'm David Granger's dirty little secret, the bastard son he refused to acknowledge and kept hidden from the rest of the family."

"Oh." There wasn't much she could say about that, coming from a world where a bastard child wasn't even noticed, much less allowed to visit the family seat of power. "You don't look that dirty to me," she heard herself say, surprised by her own willingness to engage in something like teasing. "Trust me, I have a toddler. I know dirt intimately." The faint quirk of her lips gave away the smile before it blossomed on her face. "If we're confessing to dirty little secrets, then I suppose I should tell you that I was married to a Granger until recently, and no, Lyneth is not his daughter."

Piper Granger

Date: 2012-12-24 13:41 EST
His expression changed again, looking slightly surprised that she'd chosen to open up to him so easily and so quickly, and she hadn't even been drinking, as far as he could tell. "Should I be sorry or relieved?" he found himself asking, making absolutely no judgements regarding her life, past or present. After all, his mother had remained single and had yet, managed to raise a son who had gone on to become a successful and prominent attorney, despite the lack of a father figure in his life. He sobered, allowing her to see his serious side and not insulting her by putting on airs. "I'm sorry about your marriage," he told her gently and sincerely.

"I don't know yet," Piper answered his question honestly, a slight shrug raising her shoulders. A moment later, her hands demurely adjusted the hang of her dress, since the hem had risen with the shrug but not gone back down again. Lyneth had dressed her for today, which was the only reason she was wearing a dress in the first place. If it had been up to her, she would have found a halfway presentable top and worn it with jeans, but her daughter could be very stubborn at times.

Her smile was sad as he offered his apologies on her annullment, but she shook her head. "I think it's best this way. I'm just not made to be married, I don't think." The smile deepened, laughing off the deep hurt she carried with her as she sought to change the subject. "What is it you do with yourself, Desmond" I assume you're not a poverty-stricken singer or something equally romantic but difficult."

His expression changed again - subtle but there - hinting at the sympathy he felt toward her and her sadness, but not really knowing her well enough to comment further on it just yet. Maybe, given time, but then, he wasn't planning on sticking around Rhy'Din long enough to find out. Damn that Miranda, and her coaxing him into coming here. The second of two carrots dangled in front of his face since his arrival. "Worse," he admitted, though he was obviously not hurting for money. "I'm a heartless, money-grubbing lawyer." That wasn't quite true, but it seemed to be the stereotypical consensus among people who watched too much television but didn't know the truth of it.

She laughed - a full, rich, genuine laugh that lit up her face and turned curious eyes toward them even as she raised a hand to cover her mouth in a charming display of aristocratic manners. "I'm sorry," she apologised for her reaction with sparkling eyes. "I haven't heard anyone refer to themselves quite like that before. I'm sure you're not heartless."

He flashed a smile at those of his relatives who had turned curious eyes toward them, as if to silently warn them to mind their own damned business, before turning back to Piper, happy he'd somehow managed to make her laugh, even if it was at his own expense. "Heartless in court maybe," he confirmed. "I'm a criminal prosecutor. I put bad guys behind bars." He thought that should help clarify things a little. He wasn't all about the money, though the money was certainly a bonus. What chiefly motivated him was justice. "Think Law and Order."

"Prosecution, rather than defense," she nodded, understanding a little more of the system than she liked to advertise. "Do you always get your man, Mr Granger?" Yes, she was teasing him a little, but still with that very gentle sense of holding him at arms' length. It wasn't unfriendly, but she was obviously protecting herself from something.

In another setting, another place, another time, maybe a darkly-lit bar, he might have taken the bait on that set-up line and told her that while he might not always get his man, he always got his woman, but something held him back, some feeling that using a cheesy pick-up line on her was the worst thing he could possibly do. "Not always," he replied, honestly. Nothing was 100 percent, not even his record of putting criminals in prison. "But I've got a pretty good track record."

He took another sip of his bourbon, which he'd nearly forgotten in his hand, swinging a glance around for a place where they could sit and she could still keep an eye on her precocious toddler of a daughter. He spied a couple of empty chairs, not far from where the children were huddled around the Old Man, and gestured that way with his drink. "Would you care to sit' I promise I won't bite."

"Well, so long as you still enjoy your work, that is really all that matters." Piper wasn't entirely sure what was going on here. She hadn't even wanted to come to the Granger party this year, but Lyneth had made her promise, and then Humphrey had made her promise to uphold her promise to Lyneth. She'd spent most of the evening staying quietly out of the way, patiently waiting for Lynnie to get tired enough to want to go home, but just as that had seemed likely to happen, this charming newcomer had slipped over to them and she found herself engaging in his conversation with an ease she'd not felt with a stranger in years. She'd even caught herself on the verge of flirting, ruthlessly preventing herself from doing that. Ending a marriage with one Granger only to pick another up at one of their own family gatherings was all kinds of crass and appalling behaviour, she knew. But she didn't want to end the conversation, surprising though that seemed.

When Des suggested sitting down, she smiled, grateful that he had spied out seats where she could keep an eye on Lyneth in the crush of children around Humphrey. "Thank you, I would like that," she nodded, her smile rising once more. "To sit, that is. I'm undecided about biting."

He wasn't sure what was going on either. He'd told himself he'd stay as long as was polite and then make some excuse or other to duck out, but that was before he'd caught sight of this charming beauty who'd looked as lost and forlorn as he was, and for the first time in a long time, he found himself laughing and even enjoying the conversation. "Biting is so yesterday. Nibbling is where it's at." Like any gentleman, he waited for her to seat herself before he did the same, keeping a polite distance between them, though close enough that they could talk with a relative amount of privacy. "So, now that you know the truth about me and haven't run screaming for the hills, what is it that you do, besides raise a very precocious one year old?"

Piper Granger

Date: 2012-12-24 13:44 EST
Even the way Piper sat was the result of years of education, delicately perching and slipping back until she was comfortable but upright, one knee crossing over the other to preserve her modesty in that tight sheath of a dress. She folded her hands on her lap, leaning toward Des as they talked, her entire body language inferring that he had her almost complete attention. "Oh dear, a lady never runs, according to my mother," she heard herself chuckle, almost a little shy of how enjoyable she was finding his company. "She retreats at a moderate pace."

As she laughed again, quieter but no less warm, her gaze flickered over to Humphrey's chair, where Lyneth was ensconced on the Old Man's lap, whispering ferociously into his ear. Reassured, she looked back to Des. "I'm a writer," she confessed, pleased and embarrassed in the same breath. "Only recently published, and only on my own Earth, but legitimately a writer."

"A writer," he echoed, arching a curious and interested brow. That small admission of hers really didn't tell him much, only that she was published. It told him nothing of what she wrote - fiction or non-fiction - or what media she was published in. Her brief statement revealed several other things, however. First, she was not a Rhy'Din native, like most of the others among their company. Second, from what she was telling him, there seemed to be more than one Earth, other than his own.

The logical side of his brain had to push that piece of information aside for a moment, so that he could focus on the rest of what she was telling him. A few years ago, he might have thought the idea of multiple Earth realities absurd, nothing more than the product of science fiction, but unless Miranda had slipped him some hallucinogenic drug unawares, all of this was real and not just some product of an overactive imagination. He chose to focus on the question at hand, and not delve deeper into the physics and more philosophical questions just yet. "So, what do you write, Miss Davidson?"

The sound of her surname on his lips made her smile tighten into something a little drier than most people would be comfortable with. "Fiction, Mr Granger," she answered him in kind, one delicate brow rising as she looked him over. "And I do believe you have just given yourself away. Caroline didn't use my surname when she introduced us, and I certainly have not." Her eyes danced, more amused at having caught him out than discomforted by the knowledge that he had obviously been asking about her.

He shrugged an unconcerned shoulder as she called his bluff. "Guilty as charged," he admitted, unshamefully. "Were you expecting anything less than due diligence from a heartless lawyer" I've done my homework, if that's what you mean. So, sue me." He had to smirk just a little at his own brand of sarcasm, but how much of it was the bourbon talking and how much was his usual bubbly personality was hard to tell.

To her credit, Piper didn't mind that the Granger gossip mill had got to him first with the story of her circumstances. It saved her from having to weather the surprise and confusion of a first impression and explanation, after all. "Oh, I couldn't possibly do that," she smiled, one shoulder rising and falling comfortably. "You'd have to defend yourself, and you are better suited as a prosecutor, after all." There was a pause as she eyed him, taking quiet note of the handsome face and appealing smirk, storing them away to consider later, when no one would be able to carry stories of her flirting to ears that shouldn't have to hear.

An outlandish yell made itself known, and Piper flung out her arms to catch Lyneth as she launched herself up onto her mother's lap, clutching a potted chrysanthemum plant and a pilfered gingerbreadman from the Christmas tree.

Desmond smiled at Piper's repartee. It was rare that he met anyone who could either keep up with him or challenge him to an intelligent conversation. Most of the women he met were as interesting as watching paint peel, but they served their purpose and after a few rolls in the hay, so to speak, they parted ways amicably enough that he was always welcome to call on them again, if he so desired, but he rarely ever did. He'd never had any complaints, but then, he'd never really stuck around long enough to disappoint anyone either. It wasn't that he wanted to be like his father.

On the contrary. It was just that he hadn't met anyone he'd felt any kind of lasting connection with. He leaned back as Lyneth flung herself back onto her mother's lap, keeping a polite distance between them. So much for pleasant conversation, and they were just starting to get acquainted. Desmond had the feeling it was the little girl he was going to have to charm if he wanted any chance of getting to know Piper better. "I considered becoming a defense attorney when I was in law school, but..." He paused a moment, alluding to the fact that there was more to the story than what he was willing to tell. "I changed my mind."

Piper sensed the story there, even without the carefully timed pause, smiling apologetically as Lyneth demanded her attention. "Look, mummy, Hump'y gimme - gave me - a flower!" the little girl crowed happily. "An' it'sth got rootsth and everything thso we can plant it an' the fairy won't go 'way!" The pot was thrust between the adults to be inspected, a bright spray of yellow chrysanthemums wobbling on their stems.

Piper's eyes were bright above the foliage for a moment as she glanced at Des, wondering if he was going to take the hint and exclaim over the present as she was. "That's wonderful, Lynnie," she told her daughter. "Did you say thank you?"

Lyneth nodded cheerfully, hugging her potted plant back to her chest and cooing into the bright flowers, beneath which was just visible - to those who knew what to look for - a tiny being peering out. "An' I founded a bikkit for Seddoms."

She held the gingerbread out to Des, meeting Piper's slightly suspicious gaze with an innocent smile. "His name is Desmond, Lynnie, as you well know. Stop trying to be pre-emptively cute."

Desmond chuckled a little at the toddler's honest enthusiasm, which was like a breath of fresh air to a man who had become somewhat cynical in his not-so-old age. He wondered how Humphrey liked being referred to as Humpy and made a mental note to tease the Old Man about it later, if there was a later and if his bourbon-addled brain remembered it later. Something the girl said caused him to arch a brow, but he quickly pushed the thought aside. Something about a fairy, which he quickly attributed to the child's overactive imagination.

Piper Granger

Date: 2012-12-24 13:46 EST
He wasn't quite sure why a toddler would be so interested in a potted plant and covet it so, but he got that feeling again that he wasn't seeing the whole picture. One thing he certainly didn't notice was any tiny being peering out at him. He did, however, take the gingerbread cookie from Lyneth with a polite and grateful smile. "Oh, I don't think she really has to try very hard." To be cute, that is. "Thank you, Miss Lyneth," he said, with a playful twinkle in his eyes. "Shall I bite the head off first or save it for last?" he asked, with an unveiled hint of mischief.

Lyneth beamed at him when he took the biscuit from her, looking up at Piper as if to say "I told you so". It seemed she had a little more respect for her mother than to actually say it out loud, however, choosing to cackle at Des' question to her instead. "You eat it from the feet up thso it can thsee what you're doin'!" she declared, proving that no matter the race or species, all children are, at heart, little monsters in the best possible way.

Piper burst out laughing, tickling her daughter for that declaration. "Why, you bloodthirsty little savage!"

Des smirked, amused by both the toddler's suggestion and her mother's reaction to that suggestion. It was only a cookie, after all. There was no blood involved. Blue eyes twinkling with rare playfulness, he leaned conspiratorially toward the little girl, holding out the cookie toward her. "What do you say we each take a leg?"

Surfacing from the fit of giggles that had begun with her mother's tickling attack, Lyneth wrapped one arm securely around her new plant and leaned forward hopefully. "Can I have the lef' one?" she asked, as eager as anything for such a simple treat. "'Costh I already thsucked it."

At this, Piper gave a decidedly unladylike snort, and covered her mouth to muffle the laugh. Whatever sadness she carried with her was clearly held at bay in the presence of her daughter, who was merry enough to light an entire room by herself, it seemed.

Surprised at first by this childlike admission of guilt, which he had done absolutely nothing to procure from her, lawyer or not, he burst into laughter loud enough to be heard clear across the room. It had been a long time since he'd laughed that hard, a long time since he'd even felt like smiling very much. Much to his credit, he didn't scowl, pull away in disgust, or scold her; he only laughed until he cried, dabbing at the tears that were dribbling from the corners of his eyes. He broke off the gingerbread man's left leg and handed it to her, with that amused gleam still in his eyes. "By all means, my lady. You have claimed it. It's already yours."

One pudgy little hand claimed the leg that was offered to her, raising it straightaway to her mouth where the sucking recommenced with enthusiasm. A moment later, Lyneth removed the gingerbread from her mouth to say, "'nk you," and promptly put it back in again, nestling into Piper's lap to enjoy her treat and her chrysanthemums in relative silence.

Piper, meanwhile, was watching Des, almost shocked to find herself utterly fascinated by the way his entire face had transformed when he laughed. He was handsome enough sober - all Grangers were enviably gorgeous in their own way - but when he laughed, there was something special in the way his eyes danced and his lips moved. She found herself staring at those lips a little longer than was strictly polite, and actually blushed, ducking her head for a moment before looking back up at him. "Don't look now, but I think you've made a friend, Desmond."

He broke off the right leg for himself, whether Lyneth had sucked on it or not. There were worse things in life to fear than a little girl's dribble. "I could use a few friends. I'm like the black sheep around here, unless you prefer fish out of water," he quoted Caroline's words from her introduction, popping the poor gingerbread man's right leg into his mouth and crunching it between his teeth. The taste brought back memories from his own childhood, which strangely seemed both long ago and barely yesterday. His smile faded a little as his thoughts drifted toward his childhood and his mother's efforts to make it a happy one, especially at this time of year.

"You should fit right in, then," Piper assured him gently, stroking Lyneth's hair as the little girl sighed and laid her head down on her shoulder. "There are quite a few black sheep in this family." Odd, how she still spoke about the Grangers as though she were one of them, when the only thing holding her to them was the interest of just a few of the sprawling bloodline's members. She felt the nostalgia radiate from Des, sensing sadness as much as happiness from him as he disappeared into his own thoughts. Not wanting to intrude, she quieted herself, gently rocking her daughter on her lap as her eyes turned to wander over the gathering around them.

Piper's voice brought him back to the present and the world of the living, and he blinked out of his reverie, an apologetic look on his face. "Sorry," he said, offering Piper what was left of the gingerbread man. "I was just thinking about my mom and how much she loved this time of year."

Something in his tone, in the way he phrased his quiet explanation, told her more than he probably wanted her to know. That his mother was dead, and recently, and that he missed her a great deal. "I'm sorry for your loss," she said softly, gently dismissing the offer of the gingerbread with a faint smile. "My grandfather loved Christmas. Even when all of us were grown up, he still dressed up as Father Christmas and played at giving out gifts. It was as though he became a child again for just two days in the whole year."

Like her, he was astute enough to realize she was talking about her grandfather in the past tense, so he was either dead or no longer part of her life. "You're lucky to have had that," he said, finished off the gingerbread man, more so because it was there and it had been a present from Lyneth than for any other reason. He didn't want to focus on the sadness very long. It was too private a thing to share just yet, and he didn't want to pry too much into her own sadness. He glanced at the little girl who had quieted and settled against her mother's shoulder before his gaze drifted back to Piper.

Piper Granger

Date: 2012-12-24 13:49 EST
"I didn't get to ask what you write about. You said fiction. What kind of fiction?" he asked, changing the subject to safer topics of discussion. "You don't write sappy romance novels, do you?" he teased, with a hint of that gleam in his eyes again.

Piper actually looked faintly embarrassed, before his teasing brought out her softer laugh, easing her past the discomfort of blowing her own trumpet. "Thank you, I do not write smut," she informed him with teasing primness, relaxing a little more as she turned to trying to explain what made her brand of fiction on her own world unique. "I've heard it called fantasy," she tried to explain. "At least here, and apparently on other Earths. But, you see, my Earth ....magic doesn't exist there. We don't even have fairytales for children, no old gods that came before Christianity. So ....well, I wrote my book based on what happened to me, so according to my world I've invented the concept of magic and Fae and a world where magic exists in myriad forms. And I can't even tell them the truth. They'd never believe me." She chuckled softly, absent-mindedly touching a kiss to Lyneth's forehead as the little girl sighed sleepily.

Desmond's expression changed again, the teasing gleam in his eyes fading and turning to something more akin to confusion, puzzlement. Miranda had told him enough about Rhy'Din that he knew magic was a reality here, though he wasn't quite sure if he believed it yet. He wasn't even sure any of this was really happening, or whether, as Ebenezer Scrooge had once claimed, it was just a bit of indigestion. That wasn't what had him confused, however. It was the subtle way she hinted that her novel, while a work of fiction, was at least partially based on her own life and that life seemed to include magic. He shook his head, for the first time since they'd started talking, feeling a little light-headed with confusion. "Wait," he said, absently reaching over to touch her wrist in hopes of either slowing her down or explaining further. "I don't understand."

She paused, biting her lip as a new flush spread from where he touched her bare wrist, her smile taking on an apologetic touch. "I'm sorry, I have a bad habit of assuming that everyone else knows what I'm talking about," she apologised softly, gently slipping her wrist out from under his hand. It had been a long time since she'd been touched by anyone not her daughter or ....something pretending to be a husband ....long enough that the attraction she was trying to pretend didn't exist had flared abruptly in the moment of contact. "I'll try to clarify, if you point out what has you confused."

He seemed to sense some kind of conflict in her, even as he touched her, a chaste and gentle touch, however brief, and he pulled his hand away, as if he'd burned her, or she'd burned him. He knew from past experience that he could pour on the charisma and charm nearly any woman he met, but he found that wasn't what he wanted from her. Though he couldn't deny he was feeling some kind of attraction to her, he didn't want her to be another conquest. He didn't want to sleep with her and forget her. She was as fragile as a bird with a broken wing, and he found himself wondering what would happen if he tried to mend that wound. Would she even let him try'

"I, uh..." For a lawyer used to swaying even the most difficult of juries, he found himself at a sudden loss for words. "I'm sorry. It's just....All this is new to me. Rhy'Din. This family. Magic. I'm a criminal lawyer. I've been trained to look for proof. Without proof, there's only speculation."

Her smile turned wry, easily setting aside that moment of uncertainty as her arms instinctively curled a little tighter about her daughter, almost asleep now on her lap. "I have proof," she said quietly, "though I doubt you'd believe me if I told you. I almost don't believe it myself. I was brought up to be rational and logical, and one event changed everything." Deep blue eyes rose to meet his, quietly amused at this strange conflict and lack of conflict. "How open is your mind, Des?" Without thinking, she'd shortened his name like a friend or lover, not even realising until the pause was too long to take it back.

He didn't immediately realize she'd shortened his name, as if by doing so, she pushed past the polite distance and claimed him as a friend. It was a subtle change and one he didn't immediately notice, accustomed to people shortening his name. Instead, he was focusing on her explanation, realizing the irony in it. She had been raised to be rational and logical, but something had happened to change her, While he had been raised by a mother who believed in things that couldn't be proven, he had lost his own faith in such things long ago, and yet, here he was, in a place that wasn't supposed to exist, talking to a woman who claimed to have proof that nothing was as he'd always believed it to be. He found himself once again perplexed, at a loss for words.

"I stopped believing in Santa Claus a long time ago, Piper," he replied, lowering his voice for her daughter's sake, and for the first time, calling her by her first name.

"Did you, by any chance, notice what color Lyneth's eyes are?" It was such an innocuous question, so innocent and so softly spoken it could have been a query as to his health or the weather. But the watchfulness of her eyes declared it to be very important, that the detail she was asking him to have noticed was one that he should not forget. She had noticed her name on his lips, unable to keep the small smile from rising at how natural it sounded, pleased that her friendly overture had not been rejected. But the continuation of that friendly exchange depended heavily upon how he reacted to what she was about to tell him.

God, Santa Claus, faeries, magic - he believed in none of it, nothing he couldn't see with his own eyes, proof positive that they were as real as he was. He wasn't sure why her question was relevant, and his expression turned thoughtful, confused even, the bourbon numbing his brain just a little and loosening his tongue. A master of observation, even after four glasses of bourbon, he'd noticed the little girl's eyes, but hadn't thought much of it at the time, a strange shade of blue that reminded him of the sea.

Piper Granger

Date: 2012-12-24 13:51 EST
"They're blue," he replied, though he wasn't quite sure if they were. He'd been too charmed by her personality to dwell much on the color of her eyes. Back home, one could have any color of eyes they wanted with the help of a pair of colored contact lenses, but Lyneth was only a toddler. There had to be some other explanation.

Piper smiled again. "A prosecutor who doesn't take in all the details?" she teased gently. "Look again." Her hand rose, stroking her thumb down Lyneth's cheek, and the little girl blinked her eyes open sleepily, cuddling closer in. Those eyes turned to look up at Des ....and there was the strangeness that marked her out. The shade of blue was not blue, but a vivid, vibrant shade of unnatural turquoise, older than her years and younger than she seemed all at once. The little girl offered up another sleepy smile, and nestled in closer to Piper, closing her eyes once again, lulled by the sound of their conversation.

As the old saying goes, seeing is believing, but Des wasn't quite sure what it was he was seeing. He couldn't deny the unnatural shade of Lyneth's eyes, nor could he deny the fact that she seemed far older than her age, if only by a few years. He'd attributed it all to an uncanny gift of intellect, but it seemed Piper was trying to give him another explanation, one he might have a hard time believing. He furrowed his brows, his forehead wrinkling in confusion. He still didn't quite understand what she was trying to tell him, or maybe he just didn't want to understand. "I don't understand," he said, clearly confused.

Piper paused, gently rocking the little girl until she relaxed back into sleep again, lifting her head to look into Des' eyes as she spoke. "Lyneth isn't human," she told him quietly. "She is my daughter; I carried her for nine months, I gave birth to her. But her father was a Fae, we believe, and she is a Fae-child. I don't fully understand it myself, but I have to know it." Her face fell as she looked down at the sleeping Lyneth, fear clouding her expression. "Because one day, he'll try to take her away from me."

Desmond's eyes widened, first in confusion, then in doubt, his expression finally turning to sympathy or perhaps even anger, so many conflicting emotions suddenly taking hold of him, emotions he'd denied and pushed aside for too long. Part of him wanted to walk away from her while he still had the chance, deny what she was telling him, scoff even, terrified she was telling the truth because if she was, then everything he'd ever believed in was wrong. He quieted, the conflicting feelings evident on his face, in his eyes, in the way he seemed to have to take a moment to let all of this sink in. His gaze shifted to that of the little girl who was curled up against her mother's shoulder, and he felt something break in him, some barrier he'd built up long ago to shield his heart from pain and loneliness.

He found something else stirring in that heart he'd thought long cold and dead, something he hadn't felt in a very long time, something that had once made him choose his profession - a passion for justice that flared to life, and the desire to protect those who were unable to protect themselves. "He won't take her away from you. I won't let him," he found himself saying, without realizing the gravity of his promise or the fact that by making it, he had taken a leap of faith that only days before he would have scoffed at.

The expression on Piper's face changed as he spoke, her large eyes bright with the fear of losing the only thing she truly had left in her heart. Yet at the same time, the raw vulnerability of her gaze was tempered with a tender sort of gratitude, an amazement that he could make such a promise without knowing the full story, without truly understanding what it was he was promising to do. This time, it was Piper who reached out, curling her long, slender fingers about his in a heartfelt squeeze as her lips curved in a small but firm smile. "Thank you," she said softly, appreciating the gesture but knowing it was unlikely anyone would be able to prevent the worst should it happen. She just had to hope that there would be time for Lyneth to learn how to protect herself before the Unseelie came for her.

For a man who was never at a loss for words, that was exactly what he seemed to be, a little lost in confusion and wondering when he woke up in the morning, if any of this would seem real, if any of it was real. She seemed real, and when she curled her fingers around his, she felt very real. He felt his heart lurch like a lovesick schoolboy, and he wondered if, despite his lack of faith, she'd bewitched him somehow. He twined his fingers in hers, reluctant to withdraw from that simple touch, a look of sadness or even regret in his eyes, blue as a sunny, summer sky. "I'm only here until Christmas. I'm due back in court in a few days." He burst whatever bubble had formed around them, drawing them back to the reality of life and their own varied responsibilities and obligations.

Piper's smile turned a little sorrowful at this news, the brief hope she'd allowed to blossom as they spoke withering quietly in disappointment. But perhaps it was for the best; she was poison, she firmly believed, and no man deserved the burden of her, much less a burden that included such a special child. "I understand," she nodded, laying her cheek against Lyneth's hair as he held her hand in his. "If you come back to visit ....if you wish to ....you'll always be welcome."

So he'd been told by several people now - Miranda, Humphrey, Caroline, Piper, and even his brother, welcomed into a family he'd never known with open arms, just as Miranda had said he would be. He felt that uncomfortable, unaccustomed flood of emotion again, privately blaming it on the bourbon. What the hell was happening" He hadn't even wanted to come here, and now he was feeling sorry to have to leave. "I, uh....I have a few days off coming. Court is closed for New Year's," he started, surprising himself again at his sudden desire to come back here, if only to see her again. "I've got this big case coming up in grand jury. But I might be able to sneak away for a few days."

Piper Granger

Date: 2012-12-24 13:55 EST
She didn't pretend to understand what he meant by "grand jury", instead focusing on the hopeful implication that his sneaking away might include a visit to their little house in the Temple District. "If you have the inclination, I'd like to see you again," she heard herself confess, and there was that soft blush once more, a quiet hope that none of the interested ears were paying too close attention. "Lynnie would enjoy seeing you again, too, I'm sure. I could even be persuaded to cook a proper meal." The smile was inviting, almost teasingly baiting the hook to try and entice him back.

He needed very little baiting, though he wasn't sure how he was going to explain yet another absence to his colleagues, without going into details. If they found out it was because of a woman, there'd be no end to the ribbing. But hell, they all had private lives, and he was entitled to one, too. He noticed the blush and found it charming, wondering if it was for or because of him. He gave her hand a brief squeeze before untangling his fingers and withdrawing his hand, hoping no one had noticed, least of all Miranda. "I'd like that. Humphrey seems in no hurry for me to leave, but I have responsibilities back home."

She nodded, sorry when the warmth of his hand left hers, curling her arms close around Lyneth to allay that feeling. "Of course," she agreed. "I wouldn't dream of taking you away from your work. It seems very important to you." She glanced up as a sensation of movement betrayed that the party was thinning, her eyes travelling to the clock over the fire. A reluctant smile touched her lips as she then glanced down at Lyneth. "Something tells me I'm not going to midnight mass this year."

He frowned at the mention of church. Except for his mother's funeral, he hadn't been to church in years. Once again, he found himself saying something he would have never expected to hear himself say. It wasn't a pick up line, nor did he expect to be staying the night, finding himself reluctant to let the evening end. "Do you need a ride home?" he asked, unsure how she'd arrived, if she'd driven or been chaffeured.

Piper's face lit up with another of those soft smiles, the full lips curving warmly beneath sparkling blue eyes. "Thank you, that would be very nice of you," she told him, glancing over to where Humphrey was still holding court among sleepy children. "I don't want to take you away, though, if you would rather stay a while longer. I realise you haven't had much opportunity to mingle with your family before today."

"My family," Desmond echoed, with a frown, which reflected the feelings of loss and loneliness and confusion he kept hidden behind the carefully constructed mask he wore upon his face. "Does it look like anyone is in a hurry to mingle with me?" he asked, casting a pointed glance around at their surroundings.

The party seemed to be winding down, at least, this part of it, couples pairing off, families heading home to tuck children into bed. Before long, the only ones left would be those who had no family to go home to, no loved one to bed down with, no little ones to tuck into bed in hopes that a certain jolly old elf would find his way down their chimney that night. But he wouldn't press the matter. She had a small one of her own to tuck in and tend to who would always be the most important person in Piper's life. He wouldn't begrudge her that; it was as it should be.

Her smile faltered for a moment, emotions skidding across her eyes as she wrestled with herself. And ultimately lost. Clearing her throat, Piper drew his attention back to her, throwing a certain amount of caution to the wind. "Would you like to come back with us for a couple of hours?" she heard herself offer, her soft voice low enough not to carry too far in the decreasing melee around them. "I won't be going to sleep for a while yet, but I think Lynnie needs to get to bed. You'd be very welcome."

"No, I..." He glanced to the little girl asleep in her mother's arms, his thoughts turning back to his own childhood, stirring memories he'd thought were better left forgotten. "I don't want to intrude. I just want to drive you home. That's all. It's the least I can do." He wasn't quite sure what it was he was feeling. He'd only just met her, after all, but for some unexplicable reason, he wasn't ready to say good-bye just yet. "Let me get your coat," he offered, moving to his feet. He'd have to confer briefly with Humphrey to procure a set of car keys, and he'd have to depend on Piper to give him directions, but those were the least of his worries.

She smiled her gentle smile once again. "I wouldn't offer if it was an intrusion," was all she said, but she wouldn't push him if he wasn't comfortable with the thought. As he stood up, she nodded to him. "Ah, Lyn's is the bright blue with purple buttons, and mine should be right underneath it." With that little instruction offered up, she turned her attention to waking Lyneth up just enough to say goodbye to Humphrey, Jon, and whoever else was still conscious, gathering up the presents they had been given in a bag, and hoisting the sleepy girl back into her arms.

Desmond nodded his acknowledgment of her instructions and quietly excused himself with a brief glance around the room to see if anyone was watching. Those left seemed preoccupied with their own conversations, but he knew that meant nothing. If they hadn't noticed the lingering conversation between himself and Piper by now, it wouldn't be long before they noticed them leaving together. He slipped away to inquire about their coats, leaving Piper and Lyneth alone to say their goodbyes.

Humphrey had been imprisoned in his chair by not one but two grandchildren, now fast asleep on him, but he managed to offer his goodbyes to the quiet pair of Davidsons with a warm smile, and a warning to make sure Des didn't get lost. Still smiling to herself over that addendum, Piper slipped from the study with Lyneth high in her arms, moving slowly through the foyer as she murmured to her daughter. It was just an innocent ride home, after all, nothing wrong with that.

The Old Man watched them go, brown eyes thoughtful and perhaps a little hopeful. Though Piper was no longer a Granger, he still considered her family, and Des, though he did not yet consider himself family, could do with a friend on Rhy'Din. He couldn't have planned that little connection, even if he had tried. Perhaps miracles really did happen at Christmas.

((Many thanks to Des' player for this scene, which will be continued elsewhere. And Happy Christmas, all!))