Topic: 'Once Removed' - June 29, 2000

Panther

Date: 2006-07-06 13:17 EST
by Janella Vallonia

Warm candlelight flickered as Janella stepped her way past the running bath. The water rose gradually with a delicious smell of patchouli, sweet orange and ylang ylang oils, rarities which Janella saved for occasional treats such as this. Her boots forgotten by the door, her belt and weapons inside, she slipped off her clothes, one by one the pieces dropping to the tiles. Finally, she tugged her hood free, discarding it as well, and held the ring which was suspended at her throat between her bare fingers, turning it. It was hard, even for she, not to admit that the ring wasn't beautiful, wasn't a magnificent, precious item. Despite what Janella always said, somewhere deep down she reserved a small sense of respect, pride, maybe even love, for the duel of swords and its Arena. This was the symbol, the keepsake, the prize so many challenged and fought for. Around her neck, worn on a fine chain, was what Jesse had won two years ago and then again this past Rannmont (February). The fourth baronial ring.

She traced the delicate engravings for several moments more as if she might remember their intricate patterns by touch alone. Illuminated by candle glow, the ring seemed old, a burnished antique yet returned to jeweled youth each time it was passed to its latest champion. Janella gave the baron's token an admirable smile then stepped into her bath, easing a relaxed sigh as she smoothly slid down. The moist air kissed her face and her senses with an almost sensual caress. Soon, the fighter wasn't thinking about duels or old baronial rings; she instead dreamed of her more basic desires, and the men who would fulfill them.

Panther

Date: 2006-07-06 13:25 EST
'Once Removed' - Continued 2000-07-07 by Janella Vallonia

If there was one thing that Janella couldn't abide by, it was a coward. Men who ran, men who turned tail, those who fled in the face of a challenge or a battle, were worthless. They were sickening to a warrioress like she, who prided herself on her strength, will, and ability to cut most men to ribbons - or pound them into unconsciousness.

Here was one such man, she growled, as she threw the smuggler into the closest tree. He smacked into it with a painful cry and slid down to the ground averting his eyes, shaking. Janella smirked and took one step towards him, bearing down at him, threatening him with her gloved fist. "I told you exactly what to do, where to go, and how to do it! Which part didn't you bloody understand!" She seemed beside herself with anger. The man tried to hug the tree as he saw Janella lean forward.

"I-I-I-s-swear, Janella. I swear, I couldn't find him!" Siler raised his arm in defense, expecting another blow. For an instant, he felt relief when it didn't come. The female fighter glared at him instead. He shrunk in undeniable fear. This wasn't his first experience with Janella Vallonia, no. Jaded Death had found him almost one year ago, and back then, she nearly killed him. His life had been spared, but he was missing a toe. Siler swallowed, tried to think of what else he could say to her.

Janella suddenly snapped, spat a curse and punched the tree Siler was pinned to. She didn't even flinch, her temper was so extreme. Seizing Siler by the hair, she yanked his head up and snarled at him. "If you can't find Bargos, then you will find at least one of his bloody friends! And if you can't do that, then I will find your last five buyers and I will tell them what sort of crap they really paid for! You'll never see another deal again!"

Siler closed his eyes, barely managed a groan in acknowledgment. Janella kicked him away. "You're not the only one who plays on the Gods-damned black market. Now move!"

Panther

Date: 2006-07-06 13:26 EST
'Once Remove' - Continued 2000-JUL-15by Bargos McConahue

It had been some time since his last encounter with Janella, and since that day the woman quite infrequently even entered his mind. He was more concerned with other business, an old acquaintance of his, so to speak, had recently returned to town. Come to think of it, it had been some time since he had even returned to the arena, or any of the other ridiculous dueling halls. He still couldn't find the stronghold of dueling with a point system, and beyond that a ward. What a waste of time. It was only in the last day or so that information that actually caught some thought from the area had entered his mind. Rumor had it the fourth baron's ring was missing from it's supposed holder. Though that wasn't the rumor that caught his ear, no, as a collector of rare and 'favored' items, when he heard the newest holder of the ring was looking for a sale, it was an opportunity that could not be surpassed. Tonight was the night he was to make the trade, or so the middle man thought. For some odd reason, it seemed, the holder himself wished not to meet Bargos in person, though he thought little of it.

"Yeh kno' wha' the do, eh?"

His raspy voice easily distinguished, the murky pools flashing betwix the two hooded figures. A smile dawning upon his lips as they each gave a slow nod.

"Goo', deh askin' price for deh ring is't much too high, ah whill nae even consid'eh it whe' ah can jus' ast easil'eh take it. Hell, wha' aire they gonn'eh do the meh' No' eh god damn thin'."

With a wicked cackle he strapped up the scythe to his back, tucked the large hunting knife into his boot, and placed his lengthy robe over his massive figure. And off he headed, the trade was to be made before the DQ in the outback, the two figures silently tracing his steps. back