Topic: Sting of Defeat - July 29, 2000

Panther

Date: 2006-07-06 13:46 EST
by Janella Vallonia

She fought well that night, defeating Ria, Dustin, and Kheldar. By the time she faced Jesse in the semi-finals, she was tired. But Janella wasn't giving up there. It was Dizzy she fought next, and that win meant that it was Jesse, only him then, who stood between her and the Diamond.

Those who watched may've been hard-pressed to say which was more intense, the physical or the verbal abuse. Inspired, Janella told Jesse that his baronial ring was lost, she wasn't wearing it because it was gone, she taunted. Jesse seemed unaffected by the news, he pretended not to care.

Commonly called Sudden Death, the eighth round's result was disastrous for her. Janella had somehow wasted a three-one lead, the score four-four was announced. Time did not slow. The ninth round began immediately, and Janella would carry its final moment with her for weeks to come.

The Quest ended, it was over when she jabbed into her own favorite trap - the expert armblock victoriously sprung by Jesse Troyan.

Stung by the loss, Janella, stoic, watched as the Diamond was awarded to Jesse. "Later, skaters." He threw his jacket on and pointed at her. "The ring or your eager body had better be at my house in an hour, " Jesse said, then waved to the others, and left the park humming a tune.

Her gaze impassive, Janella flushed, though the night hid her cheeks. Jen was looking at her, but Janella was silent. Rooted to the spot for long moments, unmoving, a small, forgiving breeze blew past her, ruffled her hair and stirred her thoughts. Janella turned finally and walked off. She would find Panther, resolve the attack from earlier, and get the troublesome ring back. She was not going to suffer losing the Diamond AND a baron's ring all on the same day.

Panther

Date: 2006-07-06 13:46 EST
Sting of Defeat - Part 2 2000-JUL-31 by Janella Vallonia

Janella's refusal to obey orders was one of the problems she had met during her short time fighting in the Dark Queen's army. Although she had abandoned the army for a different reason, inevitably, if she had stayed, her spiteful stubborness would've no doubt landed her in just as much trouble with the commanders as her other transgressions did. Janella wasn't thinking about those days now, however. She thought of Jesse's words as he had left the park, his demand that she report either with the ring or without to his place within an hour. She had no intentions of going there, of seeing him, of touching him or listening to him brag about defeating her for the Diamond. Their relationship, or whatever it was that had developed between them, was based on greed, rivalry and waning lust. Such ties were transient; Janella, at this point, considered her campaign in that regard as over.

She scratched roughly at her cuts and cursed her ripped and dirty clothes while stalking towards the Red Dragon Inn. The street was fairly dark, the town's lamps glowing softly, casting whitish-yellow light only a few feet in either direction of their posts. She barged into the Inn's common room, ignoring the clerk's call for her messages. Janella had only one priority at the moment, and the key to it was almost certainly waiting for her upstairs.

Janella crossed the familiar hall, drew to a halt before the door to her rented quarters. Satisfied with the lock, she opened it and stepped into the room, pushing the door closed. She was not alone, a shadowed figure was seated on the side of her bed. Janella pulled her gloves off, tossing them to the floor, cursed, and hissed, "I lost!"

Panther watched her, couldn't help but swallow, at a sudden loss for words when Janella turned, slipped off her hood, and then her torn, crimson bandeau a second later. She flopped down on the bed across from him and calmly extended her legs, unlacing her boots. Meanwhile, she told him about her fights, and finally how the quest had narrowed down to her against Jesse. "He can rot in the bloody Abyss, " she muttered, and slid her ripped pants off. Bare, Janella's tanned skin lacked its normal, healthy glow. Her muscles and curves were all still there, naturally, but the warrioress was marked with blood, sweat, scratches and black and blue bruises. Panth's excitement changed to genuine concern. He reached for her, but she jumped up and hurried to the next room. "I'll be fine, damnit, " he heard her snort.

The faucet sounded, water splashing in the porcelein tub. Panth's ears picked up nearly every one of her moves, her feet stepping gingerly on the tiles then into the bath, the towel shaken, her small sigh as she squeezed a sponge over her body. It was too much to resist. He stood up, sneaking to the doorway, peeked around the bend and whistled. Janella's eyes caught his, but she didn't stop, though she dropped the sponge and gathered her hair back behind her neck, offering him a complete view, her mood shifting.

"I should tell you what I found...." Panther stole towards her slowly, keeping his voice serious. Janella drew an impish smile, leaning forward, pulling him close and exuding heat, pressing her wet skin into his arms. "They're at the Jack Pot Inn, Janella...."

To his amazement, she merely grinned and nodded. Did she already know that' He looked curious, then gave a low growl of surprise and started backwards when Janella suddenly pushed a sponge down his back. He tried to grab her waist, but she held up a finger and shook her head, her gaze intense. She then stepped deliberately up to him, at the edge of the tub, her body against his again, he could taste her breath.

"We have enough time...." Janella traced his mouth, initiated the second offence with a predatory smile. "Give me a drill before we start the run through."

Panther

Date: 2006-07-06 13:47 EST
Sting of Defeat - Part 2 1/2 2000-AUG-01

He figured the tournament would be over by now so he went directly back to the Inn. Coming in through the courtyard, he looked up to see her window was still dark. Hmm, she's not back yet; guess I'll have to let myself in, he thought to himself. A flex of his fingers and his claws are extended, giving him an easy grip on the log walls of the Inn. Coming up under her window he reaches up and trips a release, the window springs open and he slips inside, tugging it closed again behind him.

He barely has time to light the lamp on the desk and take a seat when he hears her, senses her outside the door, pausing, as she always does to see if the door has been tampered with. He crosses his legs under him, as the door swings open.

"I lost," she hissed as the door closed. He couldn't be sure if she knew he was there before the door opened, just expected him to be here when she came in, or was just that good at masking her reactions. Mostly likely, it was a combination of all three. He had paused a moment before looking up again, she continued to undress as she recounted the details of her evening. His eyes and mind wandered slightly as she did, until the sight of so many bruises and cuts shook him back to the present. He frowned slightly and reached over but she darted from his hand, stomping into the next room, chiding him as she did so. Not all of that was damage was earned in the rings" odds are most of it she entered the rings with. There was definitely going to be some pay back for this one.

His ears perked as he heard the water start running in the tub, her stepping into the tub and a few moments later the brushing of a sponge over skin. Ok, if she thought he was just going to sit here" sliding from the bed he moved to the doorway and gave a low whistle.

Her eyes caught his for a moment, and as he moved towards the tub he could see her mood had lightened. Trying to keep his mind on what he was going to say was tough as she leaned back in the tub, the sudsy water doing little to hide her curves. "I should tell you what I found", he started when she leaned forward and grabbed him about the neck, pulling herself close to him. "They're at the Jack Pot Inn" he finished, her wet skin pressing against him.

She simply smiled and nodded, there she goes again, did she already know this" Or was it a guess" His thoughts were interrupted; he started to pull back in surprise as she squeezed a sponge down his back. A bit of a smile crossed his face as he started to reach for her, but she stopped his hand again, shaking her head, wagging a finger at him, then suddenly she was standing and pressing herself close to him again. Her scent was overwhelming; he could feel her heart beat against his chest.

"We have enough time," tracing his lips with her finger, "Give me a drill before we start the run through."

Mmmm....pay backs can wait.