Topic: WHAM! 101.1FM: Inside the Actors? Shanachie

Yasmin

Date: 2015-10-20 23:24 EST
WHAM! 101.1FM: Inside the Actors" Shanachie featuring a special guest performer from the Shanachie Theater interviewed by WHAM! 101.1FM's DJ Zazzy Yas

The views, opinions, or positions expressed by DJ Zazzy Yas are hers alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or positions of WHAM! 101.1FM, The Shanachie Theater, or any employee thereof. WHAM! 101.1FM makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information related to DJ Zazzy Yas's broadcasts and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.

OOC: If I mention any of your characters, your characters" businesses, or really anything of yours that you don't like me talking about for IC or OOC reasons, just PM me, let me know, and I'll try to edit it out. This is just supposed to be a silly, and sometimes serious, thing to promote the Shanachie, its performers, and the people, places, and things important to them. Got any other questions or concerns, PM me and let me know that too.

Yasmin

Date: 2015-10-20 23:32 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Eregor

Hey! I'm DJ Zazzy Yas for WHAM! 101.1FM and I got Eregor here with me for my....What are we calling this..." Inside the Actors" Shanachie. ...Who came up with that stupid name" Well, anyway, Eregor T"r Gaird"n, welcome. What's a T"r Gaird"n anyway' Is it French for "the garden?"

Eregor: It's actually Irish Gaelic for "garden tower" and is a reference to our home, a small tower south of the city proper, surrounded by gardens and orchards. ::pauses:: Well, small on the outside, anyway.

Yasmin: So, Mr. Garden Tower...

Eregor: Just Eregor, please.

Yasmin: You married your wife, Rhiannon Brock, over two years ago in quite a ceremony. You guys still happily married" Cuz, as I recall, I think you were pursuing me quite a bit during Fiddler on the Roof.

Eregor: You are attractive, but that was all in character. Rhi and I are indeed very happily married. ::another pause:: I'd actually been married before, a very long time ago, and never thought I'd love another that much again, but Rhi touched my soul and I can't imagine not being with her now.

Yasmin: Oh, that's so sweet. And now you guys have the twins. Alinar and Colleen will be about a year old soon, right'

Eregor: They will be a year old on Halloween. Yes, they're Halloween babies, spooooky! ::chuckles::

Yasmin: I have to admit, those are some pretty cute names. How did you and Rhiannon pick baby names"

Eregor: We named them after our parents, more or less. Colleen Orella is named for Rhi's mother and then mine. Her brother is named Alinar for my father, and then John for Rhi's "Papa" Tass, as John is one of his names and he was far more of a father to her than her sire by blood.

Yasmin: Now that I know that, the names are even cuter! Will they join the Shanachie Stars when they start walking"

Eregor: If they wish. We don't plan to force them down any path that they don't want to walk.

Yasmin: I heard that you've been with The Shanachie for what, three years now" What makes you keep going out there"

Eregor: I enjoy the thrill of a good performance, keeping the audience believing that we're all different people up on that stage, drawing them into the stories we tell and entertaining them all the while. I've done some television, prior to coming to Rhy'din, and of course we were both in Getting Over Alyson—and I was so happy when Jon's company got that released at last—but there's an immediacy to live theatre that makes it more exciting, and there's also the exuberance to musicals that I just love. Plus, I like to sing, and I daresay that I've a fine voice.

Yasmin: I think that's a pretty fair assessment. We've gotten quite a few requests for your songs during the Live at the Shanachie segment.

Yasmin

Date: 2015-10-20 23:34 EST
Yasmin: So, Gory, what has been your favorite role you have done so far"

Eregor: That's a tough one, because there are so many roles I've loved, such as Javert or Kris Kringle. If I had to choose one, though, I'd have to go with Joseph, from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. It's a fun ensemble show for starters, but that part has some meat to it, a bit of humor and melodrama, and especially the depth in "Close Every Door" that highlights Act 1, at least for me.

Yasmin: Oh yes, I heard you were excellent. If you could act in your dream play, which play would you like to perform in"

Eregor: There are two musicals I'd love to do, one that's been on the Shanachie stage before and one that hasn't, at least not as a musical. The first is Lloyd-Webber's Phantom of the Opera in the title role, because it's filled with raw and deep emotion, and I would dearly love to sink my teeth into that. The second one is the musical version of The Secret Garden, as Archibald. That role is a man who lost his love and is haunted by her every night, until a girl, her niece, comes into his life and helps him find family again. That's something that....resonates in me rather strongly.

Yasmin: Yeah, we didn't get to do The Secret Garden last year. ::whispers:: I'll be honest with you though, it sounded a little creepy-scary to me, so we probably dodged a bullet on that horror fest.

Eregor: On a related note, I'd very much love to perform the title role in Henry V someday. I don't know that I could do it justice as well as Jon Granger, but I'd love to try.

Yasmin: Don't worry. We'd have him beat. He only acts talented. He's not actually talented at acting. Big diff. Speaking of talent, do you have a secret talent and would you be willing to do it on stage"

Eregor: It's not really a secret, but I play very good guitar, both acoustic and electric, and other instruments as well. If I had any talent for writing music or lyrics as well as I can perform them, who knows where I'd be. True fact: before we came to Rhy'din, I was part of a rock & roll cover band called Timewarp, along with our very own Governor, Ebon Ilnaren on keyboards, and Tenball the beholder on drums. I played guitar and bass....at the same time, ::and suddenly his voice seems to be doubled as if there are two of him—which, in fact, is the case:: because I can jump my own timetrack and have two of myself onstage at once, ::then there's just one Eregor again:: which might be fun to do at the Shanachie, although with this being Rhy'din, it's not so extraordinary as it was elsewhere.

Yasmin: ::pauses, then says deadpan:: That was the fourth coolest thing I've ever seen. ...Hold on, I got to make a note of this and send it to Mataya. No, wait. Better not. You might get better roles than me. Mataya, if you're listening, nothing happened. Whatever you think you heard was a technical glitch. Quick, moving to a different topic....the "one-and-only' Eregor, what would you say is your toughest challenge when performing"

Eregor: Finding the aspects that make each character unique. Whenever I get a script, I make sure to read the whole thing through, not just my own part because context matters. I've seen many actors in both straight theatre and musicals fall back into comfortable patterns, not type-casting although it's related, but I mean when the actors themselves stick to roles that they can play easily, and even well. I once heard someone describe Humphrey Bogart that way, saying that Bogey is Bogey in every movie he's done. Now I can't attest to that personally, because to be honest, the only movie I've seen of his was Casablanca, but that's besides the point. It would be easy to fall into that trap, but the easy way is rarely the best way.

Yasmin: No, that's a very good point. Some actors "act' the same in every role. It's good to branch out, overcome yourself to find the character. What was the hardest thing you had to overcome in your acting"

Eregor: Submitting my resume before auditioning the first time. ::laughs:: Actually, no. Auditioning for Getting Over Alyson was probably the hardest, because I'd been away from acting for a while, and I'd never done a film before. There's a big difference between stage and film, or even television and film. I was terrified that I'd make a fool of myself, and get laughed out of the studio. Auditioning for the Shanachie wasn't as bad, but it was still rather daunting. The theatre had been going strong for a few years by that point, and it had a solid company with some very big names. It was scary.

Yasmin: Yes. There were some big names on it, like mine. I can see where I might be intimidating. But it all worked out. We lived and learned and grew. What words of wisdom would you give to those listening that may be going through something similar?

Eregor: Admit to yourself that you may not make it through to the cast list. Once you accept the possibility of failure, you can focus on success.

Yasmin: I love that. That's probably a good life mantra to have overall. No wonder you've been so successful.

Yasmin

Date: 2015-10-20 23:35 EST
Yasmin: I heard that you are also involved in the Hatton Point Zoo, Botanical Garden, Aquarium, Resort, Spa, Theme Park....Did I say the zoo part already? Doesn't matter. What got you involved in that'

Eregor: That was Aja Bird's project, but she likes to talk stuff out with her friends and I'm among them, so I got involved. I enjoy nature, and I also believe a good zoo is important for conservation efforts and education. Plus, kids love them and even before Rhi and I had the twins we were surrounded by children from family on both sides, as I consider Ebon's family as my own. So I wanted to help create a place that they could enjoy.

Yasmin: I know you teach several Zoology and Botany Courses at the Academy of Bristle Crios. Why those" What appeals to you about flora and fauna"

Eregor: Well, it goes back to loving nature. I've traveled space, time, myriad dimensions and alternate universes, and there's a simplicity in the natural order that appeals to me. It became one of my primary fields of study at the Academy on Gallifrey before I graduated, and was initially why I took a traveling research position, before I started to get....involved, shall we say. I wanted to see life in its infinite variety, and now I teach at the Bristle Crios Academy to help instill that same appreciation and respect in my students.

Yasmin: Teacher, actor, father, husband, and more. I heard you've got something going with Gardenhome Orchards and Dawn of Time Orchards, which were showcased at the passed two years" Booze Fests. I don't know if alcoholic drinks quite go with your squeaky clean, innocent, actor/teacher vibe, but tell me more about those alcoholic tendencies you must have.

Eregor: DoT was our first foray into brewing, and was something of a one-off for the Booze Fest last year. As I mentioned, our home is surrounded by orchards and gardens, and without going into detail there are even more of the same within the Tower, so we have a fairly constant supply of fruit. So we decided to experiment with ciders, hot and cold, hard and not-so-hard, as well as providing home-brewing kits from Rhi's uncle Heph. This year there was already at least one cider vendor before we had a chance to even check things out, so I thought, why not try other fruit-based drinks" So we went with sangrias and brandy, plus some plum wine. As for my alcoholic tendencies, I'm not human. Two livers, for one thing. So I can drink quite a bit without loss of faculties.

Yasmin: Oh, that must be nice. You could definitely win big at drinking contests. Man, I'm learnin" all kinds of things about you. Is there anything else that you're involved in that we may not know about' Or any other interesting Eregor tid-bit for us to learn about'

Eregor: Hmmmmm. ::beat:: I have a space station in geosynchronous orbit. It used to be a prison barge, but over the past few years I've refurbished it, remodeled and in large part outright rebuilt it. I had thought, at one point, to donate it to the Avengers but I'm not sure the Avengers even exist anymore. So for now I'm tinkering with it until I can decide what to do.

Yasmin: Well, you hear that, everybody' You need a space station, this is your man. If Mataya is still listening, I vote for an orbiting theater. Imagine how cool our dance routines would be in Zero G! Thank you for coming out, Eregor.

Eregor: Thank you for having me on the show, Zazzy Yas! It's been fun!

Yasmin: Fading out with "Stars" from Les Miserables, done by Mr. Garden Tower himself.

Eregor's rendition of "Stars? begins playing.

Yasmin

Date: 2015-10-22 00:14 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Arandir

This is DJ Zazzy Yas and I'm here welcoming my fellow Shanachie Theater Company performer, Arandir, on tonight's Live at the Shanachie. Wait this isn't that. This is Inside the Actors" Shanachie. I get confused....but enough about me. So, is it just Arandir" I'm thinking one name wonder, like Cher.

Arandir: I am not sure who Cher is, but just Arandir, yes. Or Aran, for short. Where I am from we do not use surnames, but my formal title is Arandir of Ilyethlin.

Yasmin: Got it. So Mr. Elethlen, I see from your resume that you've been with The Shanachie for what, two years now in the Theater Company"

Arandir: Yes, about two years. I auditioned for the Theater Company shortly after arriving in Rhy"Din, and Mataya was kind enough to hire me, though I had no previous experience in theater.

Yasmin: So you started when I did. Maybe you followed me there to get close" Huh' Come on. I mean, you have been my love interest more than a few times, Miracle on 34th Street and Fiddler on the Roof just to name a few.

Arandir: I-I don't have any control over what role I play. Ludo and Mataya make those decisions ....but I have certainly enjoyed playing opposite you!

Yasmin: Well, you may say that but then in your Live at the Shanachie segment, you dedicate "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" to Carina, completely breaking my heart. I assume that's Carina Cox of the Repertory Company'

Arandir: I'm sorry, Yasmin. I do not mean to break any hearts, but Carina is my mela en" coiamin - the love of my life.

Yasmin: Sure. Sure. How did you two meet"

Arandir: We met shortly after I arrived in Rhy"Din and have been together ever since. She is everything to me.

Yasmin: That's alright. That's alright. I'll get over you one day....So, what keeps you coming back to the Shanachie, besides me and Carina"

Arandir: I like what I do, and I need the work.

Yasmin: Ha! I love it! Simple. But if you weren't performing, what do you think you'd be doing, or what would you want to be doing?

Arandir: I have some skill with magic, so I suppose if I wasn't working at the Shanachie, I might find work as a healer.

Yasmin: Healer....Sure. That's ironic....Mr. Heartbreaker...

Arandir: I am not aware of having broken any hearts besides yours, Yasmin, for which I am deeply sorry.

Yasmin: No, no, my wounds will heal. It's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all, you know.

Yasmin

Date: 2015-10-22 00:16 EST
Yasmin: So, Aran, dear, what has been your favorite role you have done so far"

Arandir: The role I relate to most is Marius because of his situation, but my favorite role so far has been Fred Gaily, because he is a good, honest man who is trying to help someone escape injustice, which I find a noble cause.

Yasmin: Fred Gaily. Right. My character's love interest in "Miracle"....::cough cough:: Sendin" me some mixed signals, here, Aran, hon. Don't worry though. I'll always have you in my dreams. Speaking of dreams, if you could act in your dream play, which play would you like to perform in, in which role, and why"

Arandir: I am still learning about the theater, so I'm not really sure how to answer that. Carina has been introducing me to more musicals. One of my favorites is Pippin. Do you think I would be good in that role"

Yasmin: Pippin" Is that a musical" I thought that was a character from Lord of The Rings....and that was definitely not a musical. Do I think you'd be good" Yeah, I think you'd be very good....but again, I'm saving my imagined talents of yours for my dreams. But tell me, do you have a secret talent' Something that you probably couldn't show off on stage....or well, you could, it you were into that type of thing. ::pauses::

Arandir: I have some skill with a sword and a bow, but I am not sure that is something that would be useful on stage.

Yasmin: ::sound of her slapping her forehead:: Ok. Different question. What is your toughest challenge when performing"

Arandir: Knowing I am in front of all those people and that if I make a mistake, I will let everyone down.

Yasmin: That is very true. Not everyone can be as good as I am all of the time. That could be a lot of pressure. Aside from performing, what was the hardest thing you have had to contend with"

Arandir: I am not from Rhy"Din, so the hardest thing for me has been trying to learn about Rhy"Din and its customs. Carina has been trying to teach me, but she says I still have a lot to learn.

Yasmin: ::says under her breath:: I could show you a thing or two, too....::resumes normal tone:: I'll be honest with you though, I'm still learnin" a lot about this place as I go. For example, not a lot of people like blow up doll stand in's, even if they come with a free t-shirt. Lesson learned.

Yasmin

Date: 2015-10-22 00:17 EST
Yasmin: What words of wisdom would you give to those listening that may be trying to learn as they go"

Arandir: Find someone you trust who can help you learn about Rhy"Din and how to fit in here.

Yasmin: That's some good advice Yeah, that's good in general. Surround yourself with wise people. You look like you're getting a bit wiser. If people came to you to ask for help fitting in in Rhy"Din, what would you offer"

Arandir: I would tell them to just be themselves and to keep trying. There are lots of different kinds of ....of people in Rhy"Din, but if you just be yourself and keep trying, you will eventually make friends.

Yasmin: I like that. What would you advise someone to help them at events and holiday celebrations"

Arandir: I am only just learning about such things myself, but I would advise them to embrace all that Rhy"Din has to offer. Go to as many events as you can and learn as much as you can about the various celebrations. It is not only a good way to learn about Rhy"Din, but a good way to meet people and make friends.

Yasmin: What about the Red Dragon Inn"

Arandir: I-I have never been to the Red Dragon Inn ....yet. I have heard it can be a dangerous place. Is that true"

Yasmin: Maybe, but only if you upset the stew. Speaking of food, what restaurant would you recommend"

Arandir: Incredible Edibles. Mataya's sister owns the restaurant, and sometimes she brings food to the theater during rehearsals. Everyone from the theater swears by the coffee and sandwiches. We go there after work sometimes, too. It's really ....cool! Yasmin: Yes, I've been there a couple times so far. Very good. I should point not, not everything in the place is indeed "edible". Another lesson learned while trying to take a bite out of my coffee cup. So, if someone wanted to check out a cool shop in Rhy"Din, what would you suggest"

Arandir: I have not been to many shops in Rhy"Din. Carina's parents own an apothecary shop, but I am not sure if it is very cool. What does cool mean exactly' Are you referring to the temperature or is that some sort of slang" The Marketplace is a good place to start. There are lots of ....cool shops there.

Yasmin: Uh....Yeah, well, uh....Ok, so what is Carina's parents" apothecary shop called"

Arandir: The shop is called Amara's Minor Miracles, and it is located just southwest of the Marketplace. Amara is Carina's mother.

Yasmin: Oh my gosh. I love that name. Amara. That's beautiful. I should make that my middle name. I don't think I picked one yet....Well, anyway, Arandir, thanks for coming out.

Arandir: Ta nae amin saesa. Thank you for asking me.

Yasmin: Take a listen to "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" from Les Miserables, done by Mr. Elethlen himself.

Arandir's rendition of "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables? begins playing.

Yasmin

Date: 2015-10-25 15:31 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Ben

Hello, listeners! This is DZ Zazzy Yas and today I am here talking to Ben Gates from the Shanachie Theater. Welcome, Ben. You've been with the Shanachie for what, two years now"

Ben Gates: I was in the rep last year and switched to theater this year. Plays and musicals are more of my background. Last year I joined the rep company to stretch my legs in more serious roles. Now I'm back at home with a little song and dance.

Yasmin: Well, hey, it's fantastic to have you in the Theater Company with yours truly now. I suspected this was all just a move to get closer to me.

Ben: Of course it was! ::chuckles:: Seriously though, rep was a lesson in acting. Theater is like coming home to something safe and warm.

Yasmin: Well, coming home to me would be safe and warm too, but sure....So what keeps you coming back to the Shanachie, besides me"

Ben: I've worked in a few theaters and none of them provided the atmosphere that you will at the Shanachie. The people are very professional but there's not a cold heart in the place. I can bring my family there and don't have to worry about my kids or wife being offended or accosted. Has a lot to do with how Mataya runs things.

Yasmin: Yes, Mataya is pretty awesome, and I'm not just saying that in case she's listening. What has been your favorite role you have done so far at the Shanachie"

Ben: I would have to say Jean Valjean has been something that I aspired to do since I got into theater. Landing the lead role in Les Mis was like a dream come true!

Yasmin: Yes, you were excellent I have to say. Speaking of dreams, if you could act in your dream play, which play would you like to perform in"

Ben: All of them. Seriously, I am in a dream role. I've got a supportive wife and children, I work in the best theater any where and I get to do what I love to do. Who could ask for more"

Yasmin: Aww. That's true. So what got you to go into acting in the first place"

Ben: My mom and dad were both actors, but mom was the star. She's won Tony awards and was up for an Oscar at one point for something or other. The bug caught me early and from the time I was two I was in tap classes, ballet classes, voice and piano lessons. Not sure if it was my parent's way of dealing with a hyperactive kid or not, but it's paid off.

Yasmin: That's amazing. You got performing in your genes, and it seems like you passed those genes right along. Your daughter Olivia worked with me in "The Sound of Music" as Gretl, the youngest Von Trapp daughter. Were you and Dove proud"

Ben: Wasn't she adorable as Gretl? Dove and I are extremely proud of Livvie. Of course, I'm proud of my wife, too. She's a wonderful musician and she brought the music back into my life. I wouldn't be here, without her. She's my center.

Yasmin

Date: 2015-10-25 15:33 EST
Yasmin: She's in music" What does she play"

Ben: My wife plays many instruments, mostly strings like the violin, viola, cello, that sort of thing. She has this amazing ability to pick up any instrument and just start playing the most beautiful music on it, even if she's never played that instrument before. She's very talented and the most beautiful woman I've ever met. We've been married for nearly ten years and she still amazes me every day.

Yasmin: Ten years! That's amazing. Congrats! Aside from your talented wife, which performer would you say is your biggest inspiration"

Ben: Wow! Just one" That's not really a fair question. Hmm....I guess it would have to be Hume Cronyn. I mean, of course my parents were role models but they didn't have the happiest of marriages. But Hume, the man did it all and was married for more than fifty years to his wife, and she was a famous actress, too. The man had stamina that I hope that I'll be able to achieve.

Yasmin: Oh my gosh, yes. Love him. I love my eighties and you can't have eighties movies without mentioning "Cocoon". But my favorite of his was "*batteries not included". Both he did with his equally amazing wife, Jessica Tandy, who I'm sure a lot of listeners would be familiar with, too. You know, I remember hearing that he was once a boxer and was even nominated for an Olympic boxing team. Do you have a secret talent"

Ben: Well there is this one thing but only Dove's seen it. Or will see it.

Yasmin: ::laughs:: Oh, well, I guess that talent won't be featured on stage! So, what would you say is your toughest challenge when you're on stage"

Ben: The toughest challenge is trying to find a connection with the character that I am portraying. I'm in a really good place in my life and having to reach down into my gut to pull out some of the most soulful and heart wrenching performances, especially for a guy like Valjean, can be tricky.

Yasmin: Oh definitely. And real life isn't always as easy as it may seem in musicals and plays, where everything is wrapped up in a couple hours. What was the hardest thing you had to overcome outside of the theater"

Ben: My mother's death. She fell off of a stage into an orchestra pit.

Yasmin: Oh wow....:: pauses:: I'm sorry to hear that. When did this happen"

Ben: My mother died just after Olivia was born. She was at rehearsal for Chicago at some local theater in Boston. From the stories that I've been told she was goofing off and joking around with the other performers when she fell into the orchestra pit. I believe that she went out like she wanted: in a theater surrounded by actors who were more like family than co-workers. I still think about her and I know she's looking down on me and waving her finger, shouting, "Now get up and do it right!"

Yasmin: That is sweet. It seems like you've been able to make it through the experience very well. Do you have words of wisdom to share that you have learned"

Ben: I learned that I'm not an island or the sole support structure in my family. I learned to lean on Dove and that she's got my back, no matter what life throws at us. And I learned to hit your marks on the stage. If you miss your mark, it just might kill you.

Yasmin: Unfortunately, that's too true. Well, thank you for coming out, Ben. We'll be fading out with Ben's version of Valjean's Soliloquy from Les Miserables.

Ben: Thank you for having me Yas. It's been a pleasure!

Ben's rendition of "Valjean's Soliloquy" begins playing.

Yasmin

Date: 2015-11-20 00:47 EST
WHAM! 101.1FM Commercial Break

Hey! I'm DJ Zazzy Yas and you're listening to WHAM! 101.1FM. Here at WHAM, we love to take a load off and ride the waves...

We do' Who wrote this" ...Aright, alright. Fine...

We love to take a load off and ride the waves. But before heading out, we stop by Custom Kings, a totally awesome surf shop. Owner and operator, Tommy King specializes in making custom surf boards, which are then hand-painted by the lovely and talented Helena King.

That does sound kinda awesome. I'd get one of those things and just put it up in my apartment. I hope it would fit up the stairs....Alright. Alright already, geez...

Custom Kings is so much more than just a surf board shop. It features swim suits and accessories and anything else you need to get your surf's up.

Seriously' I can write better than this....Did someone get paid to write this"

This passed summer, they hosted their First Annual Surf Contest and we here at WHAM are already looking forward to the next one. Until then, keep on the look out in your local advertisements for when they offer awesome sales and coupons.

Ok, but for real....What idiot thought having a surfing commercial in the middle of November was a good idea...?

Yasmin

Date: 2015-11-20 22:07 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Carina

This month on Inside the Actor's Shanachie, I'll be talking to some of the crew from the Shanachie Theater's Repertory Company. First up is the lovely, Carina Cox. Welcome, Carina. Carina: Hi! Um ....hello. Oh, and suilad, before my father lynches me for speaking only in Common. ::Carina laughs at herself:: Sorry, I'm a little bit nervous. Everyone who has done this before was so wonderful to listen to! Yasmin: Yeah, I've done this a couple times, so I probably am sounding fantastic by now. Let's see" I found out recently, cuz my producer just told me before you came in, that your parents own a pretty cool little apothecary shop in the southwestern corner of the Marketplace. Tell me more about that, cuz the producer didn't. Carina: Actually, Aran told you on air a few weeks ago, but yes, my parents own and run Amara's Minor Miracles, um ....open 9am to 5pm Monday to Saturday to fill physicians" scripts, personal homeopathy and remedies, recommend a system of treatment for minor ailments, and complimentary therapies to take alongside your conventional medicines. ::There's a brief pause, and Carina's voice lowers a little:: Should I have asked before I advertised a shop" Yasmin: Nah, I advertise stuff on the show all the time. Obviously cuz forget about everything by the next show anyway. ...You seem really close to your parents, Karen. Carina: Oh, I'm very close to my parents. It's partially a cultural thing. My father - Raniel - is elven, and my mother - Amara - is human, but the elven side of family relationships seems to be dominant in my family home. When I was growing up, so many of my human friends had contentious relationships with their parents, and there was me, quite happily going fishing and hiking with my father, and mixing up remedies with my mother. I love them both dearly, and I feel very privileged to be the product of their love. Yasmin: That's sweet. I think it's pretty neat you're venturing out into the world of acting when you come from such a loving, chemistry family, or whatever it is. What or who helped you decide to go into acting" Carina: Well, I ....I think I got into acting through literature. Not just human literature, although some of it is astonishingly moving - I was brought up on elven stories as well, and there is so much drama in the way those stories are told, it lit up a part of me that I wasn't sure what to do with. By the time I reached university, I was completely torn. I wanted to support my parents, but I didn't really want to live and work with my parents forever. My father suggested that maybe I should study theater for a while, and I joined the theater studies degree course at the university, and started doing auditions. I never got anything! ::She laughs again, a bright sound that isn't forced:: Actually, my Shanachie audition was my last ditch attempt. If I hadn't got in, I would have thrown in the towel and found somewhere to teach instead.

Yasmin: Oh, I love that. This is too cute. It's like your life story should be one of our plays. Oh, I like you. I'm gonna try to make an effort to remember your name, Candice. So Candy, if you weren't performing, what would you be doing" Is there any chance you'll decide to inherit the business from mom and dad" Carina: I love my parents deeply, but living with them and working with them day in and day out' I don't think I could do that with any kind of grace. ::another quiet laugh:: Later, maybe, when they're finished with it, I might be in a position to carry on what they're doing, but if I wasn't performing, I'd be teaching. Who knows, I might even be teaching the STARS. Yasmin: You can't teach the stars. They already know everything- that's why they're the stars of the show. ...oh, I got ya. The STARS....I'm a guest speaker there sometimes, you know....Speaking of the Shanachie STARS Program, let's dive into the reason we're here, to talk about the Shanachie...

Yasmin

Date: 2015-11-20 22:15 EST
Yasmin: This is your second year in the Repertory Company. What's it like in the Rep, Katerina" Carina: Katerina" ::She laughs yet again, obviously enjoying herself:: You know, I played Katherina in The Taming of the Shrew last year. And broke Jonathan Granger's leg while I was at it, too. I love the Rep, I really do. It's a challenge to play so many differing roles in what is such a short period of time, and with such amazing actors - not just Jon, but Kruger, too, and now Annabeth Caldwell has joined us ....I feel blessed to be a part of it. I'd like to spread my wings a little and try something new sometime, but I am very happy to be a part of the Shanachie Repertory Company. Yasmin: You met Arandir at the Shanachie, too. He seems like a sweet kid. How's that going" Carina: I met Arandir the day that we both auditioned for the Shanachie - he was auditioning for the Theater Company, obviously. His voice is ....indescribably wonderful, isn't it' Anyway, yes, we met that day, and he was very new in town, and well, we share the fact that we're both half elves. He seemed very lost and very alone, and I wanted to help. And I'm very glad I did, because I would be lost without him now. We were married, not so very long ago, and I can honestly say it's the greatest achievement of my life, to be loved by such a kind, compassionate, wonderful man. He's my h"r vuin. Uh, there's no real translation for that into Common, but the closest is beloved lord. ::There's a pause, and she snickers impishly:: And you all thought he was gay! Yasmin: Did I" Well, that certainly sounds like me, so I'm inclined to believe you. So Marina, what has been your favorite role you have done so far at the theater"

Carina: My favorite role" They're all so unique in their own way ....I would have to say, though, that my favorite role so far has been Helena, in A Midsummer Night's Dream. Not so much for the meat of the role, because to be honest she's a bit of a drip and just lets things happen to her. The only independent thing she does is to betray her friends in the hope that it might somehow make the man she loves love her. Anyway, no, what I really enjoyed in that role was working with Dru Granger. Her Hermia was fantastically funny, and quite scary when she got angry. The cat fight scene was incredibly difficult to rehearse, because I just kept laughing. There's this sweet, petite little person who suddenly becomes really fierce tackling me into a mudpit, and I cracked up every time. Why do you think it always took so long for Helena to get out of the mud" Yasmin: Pfft. I just thought you elves were happier in nature and you felt better surrounded in the dirt, or "Mother Earth' as your people call it. Either that or you were going for the wet t-shirt mud wrestling vibe. I was fine with either way to be honest. To each their own wet dream. Speaking of dreams, if you could act in your dream play, which play would you like to perform in, in which role, and why" Carina: Is there a stage version of Little Women" I hope there is. I'd love to play Jo, from Little Women. She goes through so much - the privations of being poor when she remembers being rich, the fact that her father is so far away fighting a war, looking after her younger sisters even when they annoy her. There are so many dynamics to explore in a character like that, from family, to romance, to personal. She's a really meaty character. I'm not sure I could do her justice, but I'd like to try! Yasmin: Yep, I can see that. It's a very inspirational character, overcoming a great deal. But how about in real life" Which performer is your biggest inspiration" Carina: This is going to sound so corny. ::There's a brief pause while she tries not to laugh:: Aris is my greatest inspiration. Uh, Kruger, I mean. Up until a couple of years ago, he was a dueling star, known for hard hitting and an amazing physical performance in the ring. Joining the Rep put him so far out of his comfort zone, but every time, he rises to the challenge, and he teaches me something I never would have imagined of the character that he's inhabiting. Even if the role is one he's uncomfortable with, he throws himself into it. It is inspiring to see. Yasmin: I can definitely agree with that. I think he'll be my guest next time, in fact. He always takes on such great challenges and just blows everyone away.

Yasmin

Date: 2015-11-20 22:22 EST
Yasmin: What about you, what would you say is your toughest challenge when performing" Carina: I have a really hard time not getting the giggles. It's called corpsing, when you get the giggles on stage, because you've pretty much killed the scene you're in. I get most of my giggling out of the way in rehearsal, but every now and then, it happens on stage. It's absolutely mortifying, especially in a really emotionally charged scene, because the second one of you starts laughing, everyone else does, too.

Yasmin: Oh, yeah, definitely. Once someone breaks, I lose it. But I want to say on the record here that I never break first. ::adds quietly:: Or if I ever have, no one better tell on me. ...What was the hardest thing you had to overcome when you're not performing" Carina: The hardest thing ....hmm. You know what? It was when I was in college, and all the Proposition 37 stuff was flying around - you know, the registration for magic users stuff that started all those riots" It got pretty bad in some places, and because I have pointed ears, people assumed I was a full blood elf, and that meant I was a mage. I got into the habit of covering my ears when I did my hair because random people on the street would see them and start hurling abuse at me. My parents" shop was firebombed, because people started to equate herbal remedies with magic. My father was attacked and beaten by complete strangers, just for being an elf. It was a scary, horrifying time, but my father stayed completely calm. He told me that there would always be some discord in the world, and that the people who were to blame weren't the hands wielding the hammer, or throwing the bomb, or the mouths shouting the insults. The ones to blame were the ones who were making us think of each other as different and unknown, and untrustworthy. And you know what? He was right. As soon as those voices stopped, the violence stopped. We had apologies from people who'd turned on us, and the community came together to restore the shop and my father's garden. People are people, you know" But when you're made to be afraid, it's very easy to forget that other people are just people, too. Yasmin: Very true. I know I avoided the backlash them by blending in. I take advantage of the fact that others can't hide their features so easily. But really they shouldn't have to. I'm glad to say we're over that, at least for now. One last question, because I'm curious. Do you have a secret talent' Would you be willing to do it on stage" Carina: Well, there's this one thing I do that drives Aran absolutely wild ....::She breaks off and laughs hysterically for a long moment:: Okay, no, not on stage. Um ....I can sing a bit. I know that the Shanachie is planning to do a sort of showcase thing next summer, maybe I'll audition to sing something for that.

Yasmin: Geez, you can sing" Forget the showcase thing. We should get you in the Theater Company with me then you can sing "til your heart's content. Heck, you should sing us out now. I got the musical tracks to anything. Give me a song, and I'll set up the background track for you.

Carina: Anything" Um ....::There's a moment of silence as she considers this:: Well, since the winter's creeping up on us and I had to learn this particular song to keep a certain colleague's daughter quiet during rehearsals this time last year ....Let It Go, from Disney's Frozen" Sadly, I do know all the words. ::she laughs one last time, and her following breath is audibly shaky with nerves::

Yasmin begins the instrumental track for "Let It Go?, while Carina sings live.

Yasmin

Date: 2015-11-22 19:59 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Kruger

I'm DJ Zazzy Yas and you're listening to WHAM! 101.1FM and, as my guest speaker today on Inside the Actors" Shanachie, I've got RhyDin reknown, Aristotle Kruger Allen. Welcome, Kruger.

Kruger: Thanks Yas, though I seem to be here quite often. I should have my own chair. I hope you liked the gifts I brought you. Everyone needs their own set of The Anvil action figures. There's also a poster in there and a coupon for a year's supply of Phoenix Energy Drink.

Yasmin: Very much, thank you. Yes, some people might recognize you from advertising the Red Orc Brewery's Phoenix Energy Drink. Tell me how you got into that and how much steroids are in it.

Kruger: Steroids" I'm not really sure what you mean' or why people keep asking me that. Honestly, I brought the idea to Jake over at Red Orc Brewery. Phoenix is my baby' I had the idea, and Jake has the resources to manufacture it. I promised to be available for the ad campaign, they even used my slogan. "Phoenix Energy Drink" Push Your Limits!" I have had the good fortune to work with Jewell Ravenlock on many photo shoots.

Yasmin: Yes, she's very much involved in the dueling circuit, like you. I want to hear in your own words how you pull off your signature move, The Krugey Krater.

Kruger: In my own words" You sure that's a good idea" Momentum and impact! The key is to be moving in the opposite direction of your opponent. The faster you're both going, the greater the Krater! I like to send them into the ropes, hit them myself on the other side and meet in the middle. Then I scoop them up twist flip them around and drive them into the mat with my chest while calling out *Krugey Krater!* Of course, I'm not the only one that yells the words anymore. The move has really gotten quite a large fan following.

Yasmin: Well, of course you got a big fan base. I'm only having you on as a repeat interviewee cuz you got us such high ratings last time. Not only does your dueling and acting careers give you some street cred, you have your own shop, Kruger's Erotic Weapons Armor & Leather. You got whips and chains and ball gags and stuff"

Kruger: It is a custom order shop Yas. You looking for something specific in your next ball gag" Maybe something with spring loaded spikes, kind of an "I told you to shut up" option"

Yasmin: That might be good for my upcoming interviews....So what?s been your one of your most notable project on the grill"

Kruger: Oooh good question. Not too long ago I actually made a working heart. I'm not sure if I am allowed to give too many details on that though. Hmmm' Something else perhaps" Usually I make weapons, so that is probably why it is one of the most notable. I mean, I've pounded out a few recent things, an extremely sharp ritual dagger for one, and I've even made a new hammer for myself. I'll unveil that next time the Madness Tournament rolls around.

Yasmin: Oh, I'm kinda more impressed by the heart. I'm getting a very steampunk vibe. But let's get into what we're here for, the Shanachie. You started with me, right' Two years ago' What keeps you coming back"

Kruger: I think I started with you longer ago than that. OH! You mean at the theater! Yes, two years ago. I love it, met some really great people. Jon Granger and I have gotten fairly close, though I'm not really sure what I bring to that relationship. It's possible he just needs me around in case there is some heavy lifting to do. I think the reason I keep returning has to do with my love of entertaining people. It's very much like the screaming fans in the Iron Fist Garden. The things I do on stage directly affect those in the audience, and there is no greater feeling than knowing I've been able to do that.

Yasmin

Date: 2015-11-22 20:02 EST
Yasmin: So Krugs, what helped you decide to go into acting"

Kruger: I tried out on a whim really. I didn't know what I wanted, so I tried out for all three companies. I was grateful to be selected at all. Thanks Mataya! Maybe I should have asked to do a shout out, Yas"

Yasmin: Why' I do them all the time. So, what has been your favorite role you have done so far"

Kruger: That's a difficult question because I've had so many fantastic roles. I played Dr. Watson which I think was my first true leading role" so that was special to me. Of course I also played Nick Bottom in A Midsummer Night's Dream which was awesome because I got to play across from Mataya as Titania. Most recently I played Nick Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire. I think I liked this role because I kind of related to Nick" or maybe it was all the tight shirts. You got me. It was the shirts.

Yasmin: Well, if you got it, flaunt it. So if you could act in your dream play, which play would you like to perform in, in which role, and why'

Kruger: I saw a movie some time ago called I Am Legend. Will Smith plays the last human in some big city or other. I'd like to play that role because I think I understand it. I've spent a lot of time alone too, and sacrificing everything to save the world is definitely something I've thought about. Of course the flip side of that might be? I want to be one of those guys in The Expendables! I suppose that means I should become an action movie star"

Yasmin: I think you already are, since you got acting and dueling experience. You seem to inspire people in both areas. I have to ask, which performer is your biggest inspiration'

Kruger: There are a lot of great performers, I'm not sure I can pick just one. I like Clint Eastwood, he's quite versatile in front of and behind the screen. Robin Williams always could make me laugh, but I discovered he could make me cry too. I suppose that's my real inspiration from any performer" the moment that you say "woah, I never expected that out of him." I often wonder if I can make people say that about me.

Yasmin: I think you probably do. If not, you can pull a Krugey Krater on them until they do. Tough love. Speaking of tough, what is your toughest challenge when performing in the theater or dueling in the ring"

Kruger: This is going to sound strange, but for both it is the same thing. Timing is my biggest challenge. Whether I am fighting or acting, if my timing is off things go bad. When things do go bad, the challenge is not to let on that anything is wrong.

Yasmin: I like that little word of wisdom. So last question. What mantra keeps you going, or what sage words of advice can you give in acting or in anything"

Kruger: Don't be afraid to do it different. That is something I started with the duels, and have carried over into the theater. Sure Shakespear is typically done in a specific way....but how fun to have Julius Caesar with a Brooklyn accent. "Yo....you too Brutus. Geezle Pete."

Yasmin: Perfect. So I'm gonna end out this interview in the way that you begin most of your duels, with your Entry Theme, "Want' by Disturbed. Any last words before we go"

Kruger: Why don't I have an updated autographed head shot of you? Maybe you could get me something with shorter hair that no one else has"

Yasmin: I do take requested shots, but like me....that costs extra...

"Want" by Disturbed begins playing.

Yasmin

Date: 2015-11-24 03:47 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Jonathan

Good evening, RhyDin. I'm DJ Zazzy Yas and today on Inside the Actors" Shanachie, I have with me the over-hyped Jonathan Granger. You may recognize him as Christian Grey in "Fifty Shades of Grey", "Fifty Shades Darker", and "Fifty Shades Freed". Before that, he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor as Owen in the 2009 "Triple Dark" but, on a personal note, I'd like to point out that he did not win. Yes, later he went on to win the Academy Award and a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Drama as Joseph James in the 2013 "Swan Song", but even judges make mistakes. So, welcome, Mr. Fancy Pants Movie Star....thinking you're god's gift to mankind just cuz you were born on Christmas...

Jonathan: Uh ....I don't think I'm God's gift to anything, but thanks for the welcome ....I think.

Yasmin: Let's start back at the beginning, before you became this mega star that I'm quickly catching up to. I'd say you got your break when you were wrongfully cast for the sexy Christian Grey in "Fifty Shades" series opposite the awesome Aimee Malone. What was that like"

Jonathan: I'm not sure I understand the question. What was it like to be wrongfully cast or what was it like to star opposite Aimee" I have never claimed to be Christian Grey. It's just a part, like any other part. As far as Aimee is concerned, she was a joy to work with. Very talented. She's going places.

Yasmin: Well, as long as you can admit you were wrongfully cast, I guess we can get passed it. I would like to point out yours truly here is a movie star too. Some of you may recognize me as the creative, dedicative, Professor Vincent Harris-Fawkes from the highly anticipated "Getting Over Alyson" movie. I heard that the Grangers got involved to have the movie released. Tell me more about that, cuz I'm sure you knew that I was a much better actress than you, and you knew you would have to get that movie out there, right"

Jonathan: Um, actually ....That was a joint project between myself and Mataya De Luca. The film was languishing after 21twelve - the studio that made the film - went bankrupt, and we thought it deserved to be seen, so we pooled our funds and created a production company to buy the rights and finance the final editing and distribution costs.

Yasmin: Well, I thank you for that, as do my admiring fans. So what made you decide to go into acting"

Jonathan: I'd have to credit my mother with that. I'm not sure many people know this, but she was an actress, though not a very well known one. From what I understand, she was the one who encouraged my interest in the theater and helped me get started.

Yasmin: Your mother. That's right, you're a Granger. You live on that compound, right' You live in the Maple Grove Manor there, which I heard is rumored to be called The Big House, you know, like prison. I heard you live there with your family and the Granger patriarch, Humphrey Granger. You keepin" him there like a prisoner" Is that how you got your big bucks to pursue acting" Living off his cash while he's cooped up"

Jonathan: Do you have a problem with me or something, Yasmin" Because I'm sensing some hostility here. Maple Grove Manor is called the Big House because it's big, I guess, not because it's a prison. Vicki and I moved there shortly after we were married. Humphrey is ....Look, I won't deny that I've had the privilege of growing up in a family that's pretty well off, but I've worked hard for everything I have, and there is nothing more important to me than my family, and that includes Humphrey.

Yasmin: Actually, I think that's pretty awesome of you to stand up for family like that. I always see you as this push-over type guy in your other interviews, but you stand tall and fight for what?s important. I respect that. You're good in my book.

Yasmin

Date: 2015-11-24 03:54 EST
Yasmin: Let's get to the thing that brought us here....You've been with The Shanachie for what, four years now" Were you there from the start, cuz I mean, that sounds pretty old, like you're past your prime.

Jonathan: Not quite from the beginning. I've been with the Shanachie for about four years, yes, and I will be thirty in December. I hope I'm not past my prime yet. I returned to Rhy"Din to focus on theater, and though Mataya is a close personal friend, I had to audition like everyone else.

Yasmin: Yeah, even I had to audition again this year, too, so don't take it personally. And I love Mataya, too, so I deal. Besides her awesomeness, what keeps you coming back to the Shanachie"

Jonathan: My love of the theater. That's all there is to it.

Yasmin: So what has been your favorite role you have done so far in your long, long, OLD career" In acting or on stage.

Jonathan: It's hard to say, but probably Hamlet. I really love Shakespeare, and Hamlet is my favorite Shakespearean role. And my career isn't that old.

Yasmin: Sure. In your dreams. Speaking of dreams, if you could act in your dream play, which play would you like to perform in, in which role, and why"

Jonathan: Wow, that's a tough question. It would probably be a toss up between John Merrick in The Elephant Man or King Lear. They're both very challenging roles, and I welcome a good challenge.

Yasmin: Oh! Oh man. Elephant Man' Oh, yes. I love that. Love him. So next question I got to hit is which performer is your biggest inspiration"

Jonathan: That's another tough question. There are so many great dramatic actors out there. Laurence Olivier, Patrick Stewart, Ian McLellen, George C. Scott. The list is endless, but honestly' My biggest inspiration in life is my wife, Vicki. I honestly probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for her. She is the reason for everything good in my life. Everything.

Yasmin: Aww. You're just trying to win me over, aren't you? That's so sweet. Ok. So, do you have a secret talent we can show off in the Shanachie"

Jonathan: I don't think the answer to that question is safe for family listening.

Yasmin: Yeah, I get that a lot with that question....Maybe if the producers wouldn't make me ask it. Hint. Hint. ...So this one is actually one I'm curious about. If you weren't performing, what would you be doing"

Jonathan: I'm not sure. Directing, maybe. Or teaching. I never really saw myself as a mentor, but I'm teaching one of the STARS classes at the Shanachie right now and really enjoying it! I don't really see myself as ever retiring from the theater completely, but maybe eventually some behind the scenes stuff. I really enjoy working with younger actors and helping them learn the ropes. I'd also like to take a crack at writing my own play someday.

Yasmin: Aww, and see" You even want to give back to the kids. You just really are the nicest guy in the world. It's impossible to hate you. Why do you spite me" Don't answer; you're too good for that. Ok, cuz I like you so much, I'm gonna let you request a fade out song. Anything you want. What you got"

Jonathan: I'm not sure I'd say the nicest, but I try! You're letting me pick a song" Hmm, how about "You're My Best Friend" by Queen for my wife Vicki, because she really is my best friend, and the best thing that ever happened to me! Love you, baby!

"You're My Best Friend? by Queen begins playing.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-02-16 00:33 EST

Hello WHAM! listeners. This is DJ Zazzy Yas and I'm here to tell you about the awesome specials going on over at Matilda's Bloomers.

I've always loved the place since it opened up however many years ago and I try to check it out every chance I can.

Last year, for her second annual Koi Show in August, which I'm looking forward to again this year, I stopped in to pick up some fish for the WHAM! studio here. Actually, I think it was the third annual one. Sorry, I loose count.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to get any because some of the secretaries started complaining when I was measuring their desks to see if I could replace the space with some huge and awesome fish tank furniture. Do you know the stuff I'm talking about' Like, there are huge fish tank coffee tables and all kinds of incredible stuff now! And how cool would that have been for the lobby' I know, right'

But the execs said it would be too much weight to have a huge koi pond on the fifth or seventh or whatever floor we're on up here, so I guess my plan will just have to wait until I can figure something else out.

...what was I supposed to be talking about again...?

Oh! That's right! Yeah, so if you get the chance, just in time for spring, go check out Matilda's Bloomers flower shop and her cool neighboring Ideas Cottage, one block west of the market square.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-02-16 00:37 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Lirssa

Hey! This is DJ Zazzy Yas and I'm back this month with some new young bloods at the Shanachie Theater. That's right, this month, I'm showcasing our bright eyed, bushy tailed new performers, and tonight, I'm starting with Lirssa. Welcome, Lirssa Redbane Sarengrave al Amat. That's quite a long name for a relatively small woman. You been married like a ka-jillion times or what"

Lirssa: ::bright laughter:: No, never married. Redbane is what the jousters called me at tourneys when I was little. Sarengrave was the surname of the first family that took me in. al Amat is the family that adopted me. Lirssa al Amat is my official, records stating, stamp approved, grumpy judge okayed name.

Yasmin: Wow. Ok, as long as you can keep track of all that. Speaking of staying on track, I heard you're a pilot in real life. What's that like" Are you like a space pirate"

Lirssa: Mmmm, yeah, I fly a little transport ship, so I guess depending on who I'm shipping cargo for, might some call me a space pirate, space cowboy, space cadet. ::softer laugh:: It's amazing, and you feel so very free. Also, you feel very small. Like speck "o' dust small.

Yasmin: Well, yeah, when you're living dangerously, it tends to feel like you against the world. And when you're out there, you can literally see the world. And, cuz I guess you can't get enough of the dangerous life, I also heard that you've been tending bar at the Red Dragon Inn since you were like six years old. How true is that"

Lirssa: True, as far as I know. Don't know when I was born, so my parents and I picked a date and an age, and if we go back, yeah, I've helped tend bar since I was ever so little, and six sounds right. That's where I met my first family, the Sarengraves. They were bartenders then.

Yasmin: You are still pretty active in the community. Just last October, you gathered up some kids and took them on a Halloween trip to collect candy. How'd that go' Did you dress up too"

Lirssa: Dressing up is absolutely required, so did that. It went well. I like to help the children in the foster homes I support have some everyday, kids with family do this thing, kind of adventures. I help with High Spires most, because it is the biggest and needs the most help with the kids.

Yasmin: Yeah, I heard the kids were from High Spires. What is that"

Lirssa: Oh, yeah, sorry. High Spires House is a foster home. It was sponsored by....::hesitating, not sure Mr. Alain would want his name shouted all over the airwaves:: ...an old friend. Children from the street, children like me, well, need more than just a roof over their head, place to sleep, and food. It's harder to learn to bond, to attach and trust, when you're in a big institution with care givers that rotate and don't have time to give one on one attention. Oh, don't get me wrong. Orphanages offer kids a stepping stone to family, and they reach lots of children. I just choose to do my bit by establishing foster homes. I've five I help support, with hopefully another one soon.

Yasmin: You definitely keep busy. What would you say has been your toughest challenge so far"

Lirssa: Yipes, that one's gonna take some thinkin? because there's been more than a few. ::silent for awhile, but realizing silence on the air is just'dreadful, she laughs:: Well, it isn't stage fright, I can tell you that.

Yasmin: ...I hope not.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-02-16 00:40 EST
Yasmin: So let's get to why we're here, your time in the Shanachie. This is your first year in, though you actually got your on stage debut last year as Liesl in The Sound of Music. I think it was last year anyway. What made you decide to sign up officially this year as a guest performer"

Lirssa: The world is changing, ya know" Not so many tourneys, few places to do street performances, and people are always moving along. I love performing, but I'd never been on an official, in a building, people-paid-good-money-up-front-to-see you-stage. Demands are a bit different, and working with such a stellar group of actors " such as yourself " I mean, who wouldn't want to do that' I'm just really lucky I got the chance, and I thank Mrs. Mataya for giving me that opportunity.

Yasmin: Aww, that's so sweet. Did you hear that, Mataya" She said I'm stellar. From a girl that rides in the stars, I think that's a perfect compliment. So, what has been your favorite role you have done so far"

Lirssa: Without a doubt, Eponine. Absolutely dream role. I did mention how lucky I am, right' ::another merry laugh:: I would have died for that part. Or well, I did die, almost nightly, on stage. By the way, you absolutely rocked your death scene, too.

Yasmin: Oh, I'm too much, I know. But aside from Les Miz, if you could act in another dream play, which play would you like to perform in"

Lirssa: I'd love to play Ado Annie in Oklahoma, because she's a hoot. Or Belle in Beauty and the Beast. ::snickers:: There's polar opposites for ya. ::a beat:: Oooh, Velma Kelly in Chicago. Wouldn't Cell Block Tango be a blast"

Yasmin: It would be. ...And yeah, of course they are polar opposites, it says so right in the title. Beauty. Beast. You gotta keep up. I got one more question to go. Do you have a secret talent' Maybe something we can use to top off a performance on stage"

Lirssa: Well, not sure how secret it is. I can put my feet on my shoulders"backwards. ::wispy, carefree laugh:: I'm a contortionist and an acrobat, and while I've not done so on an official stage, I've performed that since I can remember. Do you think I should" I've been told not to show that particular skill off in certain mixed company, but it isn't like that ever stopped me at the tourneys.

Yasmin: Girl, you should definitely! Mataya, if you're listening, we should just put this girl on stage with a poll night after night and we can all retire in a month. Lirssa, stay here with me so we can discuss this. I got some ideas, like, we should start with beads cuz you're small, but we can work up to ping pong balls....Everyone else, listen to "On My Own" by Lirssa as Eponine in one of her favorite plays, Les Miserables, while I see just how far she'll be willing to go "on her own" on stage....Of course if we get another girl up there with her, we're charging double!

"On My Own" by Lirssa as Eponine begins to play.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-02-17 20:02 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Annabeth

Hello, WHAM! listeners. This evening, I have an awesome young gun at the Shanachie with me. Welcome, Annabeth Caldwell. I have note after note about this in my question sheet side margin here....What's all this hullabaloo about you not liking nicknames"

Annabeth: ::laugh:: Thanks, Yas. Well, it all boils down to this. My mother named me Annabeth so I could have a choice of a nickname as I got older, only I didn't like either of them. And my middle name" Marie. Honestly, I probably wouldn't mind a nickname, just not Anna or Beth.

Yasmin: I get that. That's exactly why I have one name. Makes it easier for people. So, I heard that you're a country girl at heart. Tell me about that.

Annabeth: Well, I was raised on my family farm in northeast Tennessee, back on Earth. Even when I moved to Knoxville, the biggest city in the area, I still visited home at least once a week on Sunday. I am close to my roots. I only recently sold the family farm when I decided to move here permanently. So, early on I learned to farm, cook, sew, shoot, whittle, and ::a pause and a twinkle in her eye:: spit. I also learned manners, respect, and a strong sense of place and self.

Yasmin: Aw. I like that. Is that what made you wanna sign up at the Shanachie" Or did you hear about how cool I was in the theater last year and wanted to follow your idol"

Annabeth: Truthfully, Yas, I'm afraid I have to admit, I hadn't even heard of you before I joined the Shanachie. I've been an acting since I was around 4 years old. I was a professional actor back home. In fact that's how I came to Rhydin. I was supposed to meet a gentleman, Mr. Sinclair, to talk to him about a commercial or something. My agent had worked with him before so I wasn't too worried. I followed the directions he gave to get to a place called the Red Dragon Inn. I thought maybe it was some sort of gamer cafe. I'm still not quite sure how it happened but one moment I'm on the streets of Knoxville and the next I'm standin" in front of the Red Dragon, here in Rhy'din. It was a shock for sure. The day after I arrived I saw the ad for tryouts. I wasn't sure at that point if I could get home. I was still new to the Nexus and everything. So I decided to try out.

Yasmin: That's a perfect origin story. They could make a movie out of that. Small town girl meets the big, weird, dragon filled city and becomes a huge star. Of course, one step at a time on that one.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-02-17 20:06 EST
Yasmin: What's been your favorite role you have done so far"

Annabeth: I think my favorite so far, has been Christmas Past in A Christmas Carol, and I think that deserves at least a little explanation. When we were picking out my costume they wanted my dress to "pool" at my feet to give the illusion that I was floating. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a klutz, and I kept tripping over the fabric. They hemmed it up, but I was so nervous on opening night. When the time came for my first scene, everything went smoothly. I didn't trip, Kruger and I performed the scene flawlessly. We made our exits, and just as I was past the curtain and the audience couldn't see me any longer, my skirt caught my shoe and I fell face first onto the backstage floor. Kruger and Josh simply ad libbed to make it work. I was never quite sure why, I didn't think I made that much noise when I landed. But it worked. More than that it made me feel like I was a part of the team, and that the team had my back. So yeah, that's my favorite role so far.

Yasmin: Yeah, everybody is pretty awesome at the "Nachie. So if you could act in your dream play, which one would it be and who would you like to play"

Annabeth: There are two answers to that question. The first, I would love to play Lady Macbeth in Shakespeare's Macbeth. I've always loved that play, and that part even though it's not very large, is marrow of the bones. The second fits a bit more in the dream category. I would love to play the lead in a play I've written myself on Broadway on Earth. Although, to be honest on the Shanachie would be just as wonderful.

Yasmin: Wow, we got an actress and a writer here. This is some untapped talent. Mataya, if you're listening, we got to get this girl in the writers section or whatever it is that makes those script things for us. ...So, Annabeth, we know what got you here with us, but I want to know what, or who, inspired you to get on out there with us on stage.

Annabeth: There are so many it's hard to choose just one. Judi Dench, Angela Lansbury, Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn. They are and were wonderful actors, but it's more their lives that inspire me. Their dignity, their ability to have meaningful lives outside of Hollywood, just too many things to mention. And of course, I can't leave out Sissy Spacek. She proves that you can be country and still be an award winning actress. That you can be yourself, be low profile, and still have a long an rewarding acting career. That's what I want for myself.

Yasmin: That's a good goal to have.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-02-17 20:17 EST
Yasmin: So what has been your toughest challenge when on stage"

Annabeth: Well, as far as craft goes, I'd say it has to do with getting into character. I sometimes find myself getting too deep into a character. Which can be dangerous if the character is the least bit violent. In college one of my rolls called for me to slug a man I had kidnapped in the shoulder. One night I got so caught up in my character's head that I wasn't pulling the punches. I was beside myself the next day when I saw the bruises on his shoulder. My other issue usually only comes into play when I'm tired. So most of the time only after a long night of rehearsing. I don't want to lose my accent, it's part of me, of those roots I was mentionin" earlier. There are times though when the part requires I speak without it. Which I can do without a problem, but, once I start getting tired, it starts to slip back in, and the more tired I am the thicker it gets.

Yasmin: I love accents though, so that could definitely be worse. I think accents are like a little secret power. Speaking of secrets, you know I got to ask if you have a secret talent.

Annabeth: Secret talent' Secret from whom' I mentioned a few earlier, but I sincerely doubt Matay would want me to milk a cow or drive a tractor on stage. I suppose I could crochet or knit. I do love to sing, but I'm really enjoying rep so I'm not in any hurry to switch companies, if there was a part in rep though where I could sing like one song or somethin" that would be great. And I do love to write screenplays, but now I'm just babblin".

Yasmin: True. I think writing may be your secret talent. But now I want to hear a little bit about Annabeth outside the Shanachie. How was it shooting for the Rhydin Nights movie"

Annabeth: Actually it was great fun. I learned a lot, and you, Jonathan, Eregor, all y"all actually were really great.

Yasmin: Aww. I know you mentioned me first cuz I'm the best though. ::coughs "Jon":: I have to say, you're certainly getting a lot of acting experience under your belt. But I'm curious. If you weren't performing, what would you be doing"

Annabeth: To make a living" Probably writing or teaching, or maybe even farming. It's not a bad way to put food on the table, and you get plenty of fresh air and exercise. But I'd miss performing. The pure electricity of an audience.

Yasmin: Very nice. So for this country girl at heart, what song you want to fade out to..." And any last words of advise for any other young country girls hoping to make it big on stage or on screen"

Annabeth: Well, if you have Amazing Grace, I'd love that, but if not, how about Country Boy by John Denver" Advice" My advice is to anyone that wants to act. Do it. If there's an audition go to it. If there is a class or a workshop try it out. Find someone that supports you and cares for you and is willing to watch you back. If they don't cast you in a part see if they'll let you volunteer in the crew. Every part, every role in theater, and by extension television and the movies, is important. The more you do, the more you'll learn. So just go out and throw yourself into it. You'll surprise yourself, I promise you.

Yasmin: Love it. And sometimes not only can you surprise yourself, but so can your friends. I got a little bit of a surprise for ya, cuz I think I got a an even more perfect song to combine your spiritual need and Country pride...

"My Church" by Maren Morris begins playing.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-02-19 19:56 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Christian

Good evening. You're listening to DJ Zazzy Yas for WHAM! 101.1FM and tonight, I have with me once of the newest ballet-ists at the Shanachie Theater. Welcome, Christian Benoit. You just started with the Shanachie this year. What made you wanna sign up"

Christian: Thank you, Yasmin. It's a pleasure to be here. What made me wanna sign up" To be honest, coming to Rhy"Din has been nothing short of a miracle for me. I was performing with the National Ballet of Canada - we were doing a production of Swan Lake - when I suffered what should have been a career-ending injury. Some months later, I got a call from Anthony De Luca - the Shanachie's ballet director and an old friend - inviting me here, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Yasmin: Aww, no wonder you seem so nice, you're Canadian. You got to perform in the Snow Queen during the holiday season for the Shanachie. That should be in your cold Canadian roots. What was that like"

Christian: Ah, well, that was when I made my Rhy"Din debut. It was my first time dancing on stage in front of an audience since my injury, so it was both nerve-wracking and exhilarating, at the same time. I cannot explain what it feels like to perform in front of a live audience. You are constantly aware of every movement, knowing the smallest mistake could end in disaster. Of course, you practice over and over, but no amount of practice can prepare you completely for a live performance, where anything can and often does happen!

Yasmin: No, that's very true. Up there, doing it live, you're on the line. But you seemed to pull it out. Now, you're a soloist for the Ballet Company. Of course, I know exactly what that means, but why don't you go ahead and explain that to all those listening who aren't quite as ballet savvy as we are"

Christian: The simplest way to explain it is to say that a soloist is one who does not dance with a partner. He or she dances alone. However, I am hoping to reclaim my place as a principal dancer sometime soon.

Yasmin: Oh-oooh oh, that is why they call it a solo-ist, then. I get it. I mean, I always got it. You know what I mean. So who got you into ballet"

Christian: It was my mother who first influenced me. She was a dancer herself, though she never quite achieved the acclaim she deserved. I grew up around dancers, so ballet is not only in my blood, it is the only life I've ever known.

Yasmin: So if you could act in your dream ballet, which one would you like to dance in, in which role, and why"

Christian: Well, that depends. Romeo and Juliet is a personal favorite, as is The Nutcracker. Both are ballets that most people are familiar with, but if I had to pick just one, I'd have to say Albrecht from Giselle. It is really a dream role for a male dancer. Very challenging and very beautiful, at the same time.

Yasmin: I didnt know Romeo and Juliet was a ballet. That's kinda cool.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-02-19 20:00 EST
Yasmin: We know your mother definitely inspired you, but who else had a big impact on you? Who do you aspire to"

Christian: Hmm, that is a difficult question. I would have to say Baryshnikov, or perhaps Nureyev. The greats! True masters every aspiring male dancer studies and hopes to emulate. ::chuckle:: Would it be cheating to say De Luca"

Yasmin: Cheating" No. Suck-up-ing" Probably. But I encourage that here, you know, especially if anyone wants to suck up to me. Perfect way to do that' Tell me if you have a cool secret talent.

Christian: A secret talent' No, I don't think so. Nothing I can share with you, at any rate. Perhaps you should ask my practice partner that question.

Yasmin: Touch". So, let me ask, what is your toughest challenge when you're out there performing"

Christian: Doing lifts, no question about it. Not only because it was what caused my injury, but because it is simply the most difficult part of any male dancer's repertoire. It might look easy to those watching, but when you are lifting, you are not only responsible for your own well-being, but that of your partner's. One mistake and you risk not only a partnership, but quite possibly, a career.

Yasmin: Oh, that's a very good point. You kinda have the whole situation in your hands at that point, quite literally. So, what was the hardest thing you had to overcome so far in your life"

Christian: I could tell you that the hardest thing I've ever had to overcome was my injury, but in all honestly, it was my mother's death. That is all I will say about that.

Yasmin: Understandable. Let me segue into a happier note. If you weren't performing, what do you think you would you be doing"

Christian: Directing, I think, or perhaps, teaching. ::laughs:: It is not something I have given much thought to lately, but I suppose I will one day have to hang up my tights and choose another career. I hope that career will be with the ballet. I also hope to one day have a family of my own, but that is personal, of course.

Yasmin: Aww. I like that. Let me end with this. What mantra keeps you going, or what sage words of advice can you give to our listeners out there"

Christian: Never give up. Simply that. Once you admit defeat, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yasmin: Very cool. Wise words. So what song you want us to rock out to"

Christian: How about "Everything" by Lifehouse" Dedicated to Merethyl.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-02-22 01:08 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Josette

Good evening and you are listening to DJ Zazzy Yas on "Inside the Actors" Shanachie". Tonight I have here with me, Josette Wheeler, on of the new comers to the Shanachie, after I made it popular. Welcome, Josephine. You're actually my first ballerina interviewee, so I'm super excited to have ya.

Josette: Oh my...I'm honored! ::blushing:: Thank you for having me. I have so enjoyed listening to the past interviews.

Yasmin: Oh, I know. People just love listening to me. But what about you? You're pretty new to the Shanachie's ballet Company, just started this season. You're what?s called a "principal dancer", I think. What's that supposed to mean for all the rest of us un-ballet-literate"

Josette: Yes, very new! It's been such a thrill to be part of this amazing company of dancers and the Shanachie in general. Sometimes I still have to pinch myself to remind myself this is all actually happening. ::pauses:: Traditionally a principal dancer is one that has reached a level of experience and skill to be able to dance the main roles in a ballet as well as being able to work well in a partnership in order to dance a pas de deux. When I danced with the Paris Opera Ballet there were levels of quadrille, coryph"e, sujet, premi're danseuse and the highest honor was to become an "toile. By the time you moved up from the corps to reach the level of principal, you have a deep appreciation for how each dancer contributes to the whole because you've been there. Becoming a principal is a tremendous honor within a company, but one dancer is not more or less important than another. The corps de ballet is quite literally the "body' of the ballet and without a strong corps, the ballet collapses. Giselle would lose its effect without the haunting beauty of the Willis or the fascinating Shades in La Bayad're.

Yasmin: :: pauses:: I don't know what half the words you just said were....but thanks for clearing that up for us. So what made you want sign up for ballet"

Josette: When I was six my Father took me to see The Nutcracker at the New York City Ballet on my first visit to New York. It was....a truly astonishing, life changing experience in many ways. I was completely smitten after the curtain closed and I knew that there was nothing in this world I'd rather do than dance. It is my greatest Joy. So when I saw they were holding auditions at Shanachie, I thought it was kismet and could not pass up the chance.

Yasmin: That is sweet. In addition to your work in the ballet, I heard you also perform at a carnivale. How did you get started there"

Josette: My older brother Isaac is a knife thrower with the Crossroads Carnivale and I may be biased as his little sister, but he puts on a spectacular show!" She chuckles. ?He's going to hate this attention I am giving him if he is listening, because he's very shy when he's not on stage. Sorry Isaac! Anyway, after going through a rather difficult time in France, I decided I wanted to travel to the States to see him and learn a bit about his world....and what a world! ::Josie laughs in delight:: Isaac wanted to send me straight back to France, but after much pleading on my part to let me stay, I ended up becoming part of his act for a time. I spun either pirouettes or fouett's en tournant while he threw his knives and it kept the audience on their toes to see if I could spin as fast as he could throw. There were a few close calls in the earlier performances, but Isaac is a pro, so I lived to tell the tale!

Yasmin: That sounds awesome! We should get him over his shyness and get him on stage with us at the Shanachie. Or! We could do a thing at the Carnivale for a week or something! Like a crossover!

Yasmin

Date: 2016-02-22 01:11 EST
Yasmin: Just cuz I'm curious, what?s your favorite ride or attraction at the carnivale, aside from your own performance"

Josette: Mmm...good question. It is hard to choose! There are amazing acts like Lucille's who is a snake charmer. She also has an alligator sidekick named Rufus, who is quite the Diva, but we all absolutely love him! ::a fond chuckle:: I would have to say aside from Isaac's act, I am fascinated by the carousel. I'm a little embarrassed to say this, because I've have not taken a ride on it myself yet because....::clears her throat:: Anyway...it is beautiful and very unique.

Yasmin: Well, I'm certainly sold. Ok, wait. I got to get back to these questions. You played in the Snow Queen for the ballet. How was that experience in comparison to what you do for the Carnivale, Josephine"

Josette: Well, for one thing, I was not having knives thrown at me, so that was a plus! ::a playful laugh:: There is nothing quite like experiencing life at the Carnivale, but ballet will always be my first love. Playing Gerda in the Snow Queen was a very special experience for me because at the time, I could very much relate to what she was going through. There were so many parallels. I also loved that she was the one doing the rescuing of Kai, instead of the other way around!

Yasmin: Very true. So, if you could act in your dream ballet, which ballet would you like to dance in, in which role, and why"

Josette: Ohhhh....I.....::there is a dreamy quality to her voice as she considers the possibilities:: I would love to push myself and dance Odette and Odile in Swan Lake. It's always been a great dream and being able to pull off both roles and have the stamina to dance each one would be a delicious challenge for me. But I would also dearly love to dance The Little Mermaid one day. I am partial to Andersen's Fairytales and just like The Little Mermaid dreamed of becoming human and having legs, Andersen always dreamed of being able to dance and he was never able to do it because of certain physical limitations. When I was younger, I could very much relate to that longing and frustration in the years I was unable to dance.

Yasmin: I didn't know that about Andersen. Granted, I don't think I know anything about him. Aside from his inspiration, which performer would you say is your biggest inspiration"

Josette: There are so many greats that have taken my breath away, including the talented dancers in the Shanachie troupe. I think it would be impossible for me to pick just one. But I would say I draw my biggest inspiration from life happening all around me. Like the heartrending reach of longing in a child's fingers when a balloon has slipped from their grasp at the carnival. Or catching that moment when two people in love say goodbye and there is that split second when their bodies seem to be palpably pulled together like magnets, before they reluctantly pull away. Or the way the trees arch and sway when a gorgeous breeze blows through them. I find so much inspiration in every day moments and I try to imbue my performances with those wonders. Rhy"Din especially has given me such a banquet of intrigue and beauty to draw from.

Yasmin: Oh my gosh. That is such an insanely beautiful mentality....or one heck of a creative cop-out of an answer. Either way, I love it!

Yasmin

Date: 2016-02-22 01:13 EST
Yasmin: What is your toughest challenge when performing, either for the Shanachie or for the Carnivale"

Josette: In the Carnivale, I would say the biggest challenge was working with my brother at times. ::Josette laughs:: Siblings squabble, you know" He's a little bit overprotective, not to mention a perfectionist! ::a soft chuckle:: Although I think our lovely and revered Ballet mistress, Irina Sokolova, would give Isaac a run for his money. She is formidable with that cane! Much like Madame Giry in Phantom of the Opera. But with every thump of that cane on the floor of the rehearsal room, she makes me a better dancer. I'm trying to work on my strength and endurance and Irina has been instrumental in getting me to where I need to be.

Yasmin: Yes, that's why I like her. She seems sweet, but hard when she needs to be. If she is your challenge while performing, what is your toughest challenge when not performing" You know, out in the real world.

Josette: The real world. ::a soft, wistful laugh as she echoes those words:: I often hear that term and I think I've struggled my whole life to try and figure out what it means. Navigating this 'real world" has been a challenge for me in and of itself. I think my biggest struggle has been not letting my physical challenges, a diagnosis, or anyone else's opinions stand in the way of my dreams. I spent a lot of time in and out of hospitals since I was a child and I was often told my dreams were an impossibility. I was told I would never dance again after I had to leave the Paris Opera Ballet.

Yasmin: Really' What happened"

Josette: There was a.....::long pause as she thinks about the best way to answer:: A change in my condition and the doctors on the Earth realm felt that if I continued to dance, it would be too much for me. I had to leave the company and I was heartbroken. Dancers make it look effortless, but the training for a dancer is oftentimes as rigorous as that of a fighter. I did not want to let that limit or define me and I held onto the hope that I would dance again in some way. I'm....::her voice breaks a bit with emotion and there is a beat before she clears it quickly and continues with a warm note of gratitude in her tone:: I'm very grateful to Anthony, Mataya and everyone at the Shanachie for giving me this opportunity. It was a risk on their part and there are not many companies that would have taken a chance on me given my health history. But I think that is what makes this theater in particular so incredibly special. It seems so many performers have been drawn to The Shanachie with something to overcome or find in some way. Somehow...I don't think that's an accident. This theater is a gift to the community and I'm honored to be a part of it.

Yasmin: Yes, it is an amazing little group, and you're a pretty amazing person to triumph so much and bring a little of your inspiration to us. It was lovely having you, Josette. Would you like to request a fade out song and give us any closing thoughts"

Josette: It was a pleasure, Yasmin! Thank you for having me. In France we say, "Je ne regret rien." which essentially means, I regret nothing. I would like to request "I Lived" by One Republic and live every moment of today to its fullest and have no regrets.

Yas fades out with "I Lived? by One Republic.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-03-24 19:53 EST

This is DJ Zazzy Yas and I'm here to bring your attention to a cute little place called"

Is this "Pubic" or "Public?""

Oh, ok. Public makes so much more sense"

Ok, so I'm here to tell you about Public: the Art Gallery. It opened its doors last summer to feature a couple of native Rhydin-ian-ites and their artwork, and continued the trend with another display last November. But the gallery outdid itself with its most recent show earlier this month in honor of Fashion Week, called Dark City: a Night of Art and Accessories. It was said that' "The pieces accentuated both the hard and soft angles of the urban personality."

"What's that supposed to mean..."

I don't know, cuz I don't really get art. But I saw a couple of pics of the accessories, and they looked pretty cool. I'd buy "em. But, would I be able to wear them or not, cuz are they accessories or art' See, these are the things that keep me up at night"

Ok, well, anyway. Don't forget to keep an eye out for their next show at Public: the Art Gallery.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-03-24 20:11 EST
WHAM! 101.1FM Disclaimer

A deep voiced narrator came across the airwaves:

Broadcasting from the WHAM! 101.1FM station or on location at a local club, DJ Zazzy Yas is always providing you with great music, entertaining commentary, and insightful interviews! Stay tuned for her thoughts on news, gossip, and more between the songs"

He continued rapidly with the following Disclaimer:

The views, opinions, or positions expressed by DJ Zazzy Yas are hers alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or positions of WHAM! 101.1FM or any employee thereof. WHAM! 101.1FM makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information related to DJ Zazzy Yas's broadcasts and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. Some of DJ Zazzy Yas's programs might include strong or suggestive language and may not be suitable for all audiences. Listener discretion is advised.

Yas cuts in:

Is this cuz I said "pubic" on air?"

Yasmin

Date: 2016-03-25 11:01 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Maggie

Good evening, WHAM! listeners. You're listening to Inside the Actors" Shanachie with DJ Zazzy Yas and this month, I'm featuring the Guest Performers of the Shanachie Theater. These guys fit in wherever they need to, and they do it so well. Tonight, I have a special guest with me, guest performer, Mairead Harker, who you all may know as Maggie. Welcome to the show, Maggie!

Maggie: Hiya, Yassy! Thanks for inviting me!

Yasmin: Nice to have you, especially after such an awesome occasion. Your birthday was a week ago today on March 17th. St Patrick's Day. Happy birthday! How old are you now, twenty one"

Maggie: ::laughing brightly:: Thanks! No, I'm ten!

Yasmin: I was close. I think you're the youngest guest I've had so far. Pretty cool. I've heard you're pretty cool at this dueling thing, too. You became the Baron of Old Market, right' What was it like being a leader before you hit double digits"

Maggie: Yes, I was the Baroness of Old Market and defended the title three times. ::a momentary silence followed by soft giggles:: I was a leader before that! At least that's what my Mama says. I'm the oldest of three children, so I'm the ring leader. If you mean a leader in the community, it felt pretty good to be able to have that little boost to be able to help people in ways I didn't know I could.

Yasmin: That's sweet. So how do you like dueling" Do people even want to duel a kid"

Maggie: I like dueling because it's a challenge of the mind as well as the body. Hmmm....some people are ok dueling kids, some aren't. It's like I told my Grandpa Tass, I don't mind if people say no, but it's not ok for them to be mean about it.

Yasmin: That's very true. So I heard once you got your Barony, you got started doing some medical clinic project.

Maggie: Yes! I'm very excited about that project! When my mother was Baroness of Old Market, she arranged for a fire station to built in the west side of that district. When I earned the title, I got sponsorship from Riverview Clinic, Harker and Hall Architecture, and the MacLeod Foundation to have an urgent care clinic built next to it. There's also a shelter underneath it with sleeping room for about fifty people. You never know when bad weather or something will hit. People need safe places to go.

Yasmin: That's some smart thinkin". So do you want to become a doctor when you grow up or something"

Maggie: Right now, I'd like to be a teacher when I grow up. When I do grow up, though, I might change my mind.

Yasmin: That's true" I mean, heck, I don't know what I want to be when I grow up yet' What is this Channel KIDS I've been hearing about' Do you have an age limit' If so, I want to put in a claim for age discrimination. If not, I wanna sign up.

Maggie: Channel KIDS is in the set up stages. It got put back a little, partly because I'm hoping to get the go ahead from Race to have the Children's Day events over at the Wonderplex! We are trying to set up interviews and stuff. We don't have an age limit, but the interviewers are planned to be students at Harker's Academy. I have your name and Ms. Deluca's on my list for when we get started.

Yasmin: I just hope everyone heard the ranking order there....::pauses for dramatic effect::

Yasmin

Date: 2016-03-25 11:03 EST
Yasmin: Man, kid, you're accomplishing more than most adults. But let me get what I'm supposed to be focusing on here, the Shanachie. I see you've been with The Shanachie for two years now" What keeps you coming back"

Maggie: I really like the people! My theater family has been very encouraging and helpful to me. Nobody tells me not to try something just because I'm kid. Everybody treats me like any other performer. I'm expected to know my lines or my songs just like everyone else.

Yasmin: True. True. I know I try to hold everyone to my impossibly high standards" you know, to help them grow. So, what made you decide to go into acting"

Maggie: I wanted to try something new. Performing at family events is fine, but I wanted to see if I could do it before a big crowd. It has helped me to become a better speaker when I go to Town Meetings. My Uncle Eregor and my BFF, Doran, are involved in the theater, too. Doran and I are taking part in the Shanachie Stars program along with other kids including my younger brother and sister.

Yasmin: That's right. I think I've seen you guys there on occasion when I did a guest teaching gig. ::said slowly and over dramatically:: Cuz I like to give back to the kids. ::returns to her normal jovial tone:: Now, what?s this I heard about you putting in a custom order with the props people during the Peter Pan show" The Shanachie props not good enough for you?

Maggie: I asked them to make a wooden copy of a tomahawk that Harris D"Artanian gave to me. I'm ok with dancing around with a real weapon, but I didn't want to take the chance of having an accident with any of my fellow actors or someone in the audience. Yasmin: Oh, good. I was worried we might have another Diva on our hands. So what has been your favorite role you've done so far"

Maggie: My favorite role was Annie. I got to do just about everything in it! Sing, dance, act, and play with a dog!

Yasmin: That would be a pretty amazing role for a kid performer. But what about if you could act in your dream play' What would that be?

Maggie: My dream play hasn't been written, at least not yet. I'd like be in a play about the fairy flag that's part of my ancestry. I'd like to play the fairy.

Yasmin: Oh, that sounds so cute. I'd go see that. Well, thanks for coming out, Maggie. I think this is even a school night. Let me make it worth your time. What song can I play for you?

Maggie: You're welcome! Thanks for having me over! I'd like you play "Who I Am' by Jessica Andrews. Thanks again!

Yasmin: Ooh, I love that one...

"Who I Am" by Jessica Andrews begins playing.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-03-26 10:10 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Doran

Good evening, everyone. Tonight, I have with me, Guest Performer, Doran Ilnaren. Ilnaren....That name sounds familiar for some reason. Like its someone important. "Oh well, it'll come to me later. Welcome, Doran.

Doran: ::clearly amused:: Hello!

Yasmin: I want to jump right into your acting chops at the Shanachie. You've worked with both the Theater and Repertory companies so far. Do you have a preference yet'

Doran: Not really. They both appeal for different reasons. Musicals are more escapist by nature and it's fun to break into song and dance at the drop of a hat. Straight theatre, though, is more grounded, but no less fun or challenging. I also do some work with the crew if I'm not cast for a show, helping build and take down the sets. I think I just like the theatrical life overall.

Yasmin: Wow, you really do 'do it all". You've been a guest performer for about two years now. What keeps you coming back" Is it me" You can say if it's me.

Doran: I like the emotional impact that a good performance can have on the audience. I'm an empath by nature, so I do have a bit of an advantage there, but I think every actor, every performer develops a feel for their audience. Don't you agree" ::beat:: Oh, and getting to hang out with you is a bonus, definitely.

Yasmin: Yeah, good save, kid. So what would you say is your biggest challenge when performing"

Doran: ::chuckle:: That goes back to the last question, really. I have to be careful not to get swept up in the performance or it could be bad. Distractions galore, not just for me but for my castmates. Fortunately my dad has taught me well.

Yasmin: That's a good point. Any actor can get overwhelmed in a role. I bet it's a bit more for you. What has been your favorite role you have done so far"

Doran: I think Dickon, from when we did The Secret Garden. He was very much into animals and nature, and I like that a lot, too.

Yasmin: That and cuz I was in it with you, I'm sure. Oh, wait, no. I wasn't in that. I must have watched it. You were quite good. But if you could act in your dream play, which play would it be?

Doran: Ooooh, I don't know. There are so many good roles out there, it'd be hard to pick just one. Something inspirational, though. Hmmmm....King Henry, from Henry V. Just for the St. Crispin's Day speech, I think that would be amazing! Still, so many out there. It could be that my dream role hasn't even been written yet!

Yasmin: That could be true. So what inspired you to go into acting"

Doran: My Uncle Gory—that's Eregor, you know—and my dad, but mainly I think it was Maggie, because we're best friends forever and. Oh, and Miss Mataya, she let me play solo flute for Joseph, because my voice was changing at the time and she didn't want me to wreck it, but that was really my big intro to the theatre and I never looked back.

Yasmin: Aw. That was sweet of her, and good thinking, too.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-03-26 10:19 EST
Yasmin: So who are your biggest inspirations in real life outside the theater"

Doran: My mom and dad, no doubt about that. My mom, her name is Phen....she can't talk, but she can put more feeling into a smile, or a raised eyebrow, than anyone else I've ever met. She's very artistic, too; her specialty is jewelry work, and she's really good at it! Most of all, Mom's a very loving soul, however quiet. She loves her family and friends, wholly and deeply. It doesn't matter if we're her blood, Olivia and Azure and me, or the foster kids at the Manor, or friends in her heart, she cares for us all. ::pause:: As for my dad, well, most people just know him as the Governor, or as one of the semi-regulars at the Red Dragon, but....let's just say that he had a rough childhood, and managed to rise above that to be a caring father, a good friend, and a supporter to those in need.

Yasmin: Oh my gosh! The Governor!"! Oh man. Am I allowed to be interviewing the Governor's son' Where are your Secret Service" Wait, don't tell me, cuz then they'll have to kill me. I'm' just' going back to the questions" innocently....So' ::ahem:: What do you do when you're not at the Shanachie"

Doran: ::chuckle:: A lot, really. I take classes at Harker's Academy over in Old Temple, and private studying as well, because education is important!

Yasmin: ::interrupts teasingly:: Sounds like you got your platform already.

Doran: At home I like to take care of the animals....we have stables at the Manor, I love riding and working with the horses. It's good, hard work too, and it just feels real, y"know" We have cattle and sheep as well, it's a bit of a working ranch really, but I do like the stables and the horses best. What else....I hang out with my friends, there's Cratos at the Manor, and I know Fliss and Lucas from the Academy, although they hang out with each other more nowadays, you know how that goes. (laugh) It's all good.

Yasmin: Well, I got to know. Do you have any advice for your fellow teens out there who may be listening and struggling in this crazy place that is Rhydin"

Doran: If you're struggling, don't give up. You're not alone, even if it seems like it....and don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. There are those in this city who can't stand anything different—which is kinda ridiculous given what Rhy'din is like, but there you go—and some of them are kids too. Don't just let "em pick on you. Believe me, the bullied outnumber the bullies around here.

Yasmin: I like that. Yep, you'll be on your way towards Governor in no time. Thanks so much for coming by tonight. Can I play a fade out song for ya"

Doran: How about something that brings a smile" My dad played this for me once and it always makes me grin....Ob La Di, Ob La Da by The Beatles.

Yasmin: I have no idea what you just said, but I'll try to find it for ya"

"Ob La Di, Ob La Da" by The Beatles begins playing. Back up song at: https://www.youtube.com/watch"v=SiLadvl-VQo

Yasmin

Date: 2016-03-28 12:52 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Josh

Good evening, Vietn" I mean, Rhydin! Tonight I have yet another awesome guest performer from the Shanachie Theater, Josh Stuart. Welcome, Josh.

Josh: Thanks for having me, Yasmin. It's great to be here!

Yasmin: I see from your resume that you've been with The Shanachie for what, three or four years now" What keeps you coming back"

Josh: I've been with the Shanachie for about two years now. I made my debut as Pharaoh in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and I have to say that was probably my favorite role, so far. What keeps me coming back" ::chuckles:: Are you kidding" You're an actress. You tell me! Yasmin: True. I need the spotlight to live. So Joseph was your fav"

Josh: Yes, my favorite role so far was Pharaoh, but I've really enjoyed every production I've been a part of, and I feel very privileged to be here. Monsieur Andre was a lot of fun, too! I'm kind of sorry I missed Grease. That would have been a blast!

Yasmin: Definitely. Well, aside from Grease, what would you like to play in" Any dream role"

Josh: I sang "Maria" for my audition this year. West Side Story has always been one of my favorites. It would be a blast to play Tony! But dream role" That's a tough question. Maybe Moonface Martin in Anything Goes. I don't know. I like them all!

Yasmin: "Anything goes?" I think that's my life motto. So, what inspired you to go into acting"

Josh: That was my mother. She encouraged me from a young age to pursuit my dreams, even though as a duke's son, I wasn't really on that career path. It was my father, though, that encouraged me to come to Rhy"Din and audition for the Shanachie. And here I am!

Yasmin: Very neat. Which performer is probably your biggest inspiration"

Josh: You, Yas! I have a secret crush on you, but I guess it's not a secret anymore! ::chuckles::

Yasmin: ::interrupts:: Aww, don't worry about sucking up. You're already on the show.

Josh: ::chuckles:: But seriously, I'm not really sure. Everyone here at the Shanachie is an inspiration to me. There's so much talent here, and everyone is so friendly and welcoming. We're really like a great big family, but I'm sure you already know that. If I have to name names, I'd probably say Eregor. He's just amazing at everything he does, and he's a nice guy, too. What's not to like about that?

Yasmin: I agree. Super nice guy. But you know, second to me, of course.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-03-28 12:54 EST
Yasmin: So, cuz I have to ask apparently' Do you have a secret talent that we can use on stage"

Josh: I'll try not to give you the pat answer on that and tell you to ask my wife. ::chuckles:: I don't want to brag, but I've actually got a degree in Musical Theater. Do you believe they actually give those things out' ::another chuckle:: I haven't really had much of a chance to do any dancing yet. That's why I think it would be so much fun to do West Side Story! Mataya, are you listening"

Yasmin: True. We do a fair share of singing in the Theater Company, but we could use a little more dancing. So, I want to know, if you weren't performing, what do you think you would be doing"

Josh: I'm only a guest performer here at the Shanachie. Like I said, my father is a duke, so when I'm not here, I'm home dealing with political matters, which is why it's so great when we come here and can just have some fun. It's almost like a vacation for us!

Yasmin: Good point. I bet that has its own challenges. But what would you say is your toughest challenge when you're on stage"

Josh: My toughest challenge" Hm, I guess I'd have to say staying in character. It's really hard when you're having a good time not to let it show, especially if you're playing a character who's supposed to be miserable! But I guess that's why they call it acting!

Yasmin: True. That's why I try to play characters I can relate to' like a boy that never grew up, or a diva opera singer. But outside the stage, what was the hardest thing you had to deal with'

Josh: When you come from a background like mine, people automatically think you can have anything you want, and that just isn't true. So I guess I've had to try harder than most to prove myself and to prove I have earned my place here.

Yasmin: Well, you certainly proved it to me. Give us some sage words of advice before we take off.

Josh: Just keep trying and never give up!

Yasmin: I love it, just like I loved your rendition of "Red and Black" in Les Miserables. For those of you who missed it on "Live at the Shanachie", take a listen now.

"Red and Black" by Josh Stuart as Enjolras in "Les Miserables? begins playing.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-03-29 15:55 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Dru

Hey, this is DJ Zazzy Yas and you're listening to Inside the Actor's Shanchie. This month I'm featuring the Shanachie's guest performers. My last guest for this month is the lovely Dru Granger. Welcome, Dru. Does Dru stand for something"

Dru: Hello, Yasmin. Thank you for inviting me onto your show. Yes, Dru is short for Drusilla - it's a family name from my mother's side. Or alternatively, a character from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I believe. Whichever version you prefer.

Yasmin: I'm gonna go with - the Buffy reference. "I see that you've been with The Shanachie for what, three or four years now" What keeps you coming back"

Dru: Well, I'm only a guest performer at the Shanachie. I spend several months of the year out of town, so it's more convenient for Ludo to simply have a list of dates of when I'm available. He can then decide whether he wants me to perform in shows. I like the flexibility, and how accepting everyone is. I've made some wonderful friends, and ....well, I did meet my husband at the Shanachie, too. Why shouldn't I come back to a place that's given me so much to smile about"

Yasmin: True, but"I'm gonna go with - that you want to be close to your idol, me. "So what made you decide to go into acting anyway"

Dru: ::laughs a little shyly.:: You may not like this ....My brother, Jonathan, encouraged me to go into acting when I first arrived here in Rhy"Din. I was shy and angry, and I didn't really know how to express myself. He arranged for me to audition for Ludo, and I was given a place in the Repertory production of Season's Greetings. I enjoyed it, but it was remarkably stressful, so Mataya suggested that I should try out as a member of the Theater Company's chorus, and I was a part of Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. That was what really gave me the bug, I suppose. It was so much fun!

Yasmin: Seems like you got hooked on the singing.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-03-29 15:57 EST
Yasmin: What would you say, then, has been your favorite role you've done so far"

Dru: My favorite role" Goodness, that is a good question. I've been very lucky in the roles I have been given. I like them for different reasons, but I think my favorite role has been Hodel, in Fiddler on the Roof. I can relate to her, I think. I'm not a Rhy"Din City native, and I spend a lot of my time at home, but home is such an abstract concept. I love Rhy"Din and my family here, but I also love my homeland. Hodel's song, Far From The Home I Love ....I know it's about wanting to be with the man she loves, but being afraid to be away from the home she has always known. But to me, it's about acknowledging that, no matter where I am, I miss the people and the home I have somewhere else. Just because I'm not there, it doesn't mean that I don't think of them.

Yasmin: ::jokes:: And cuz the role had singing, I bet. ::goes back to her normal tone:: So if you could act in your dream play, what would it be?

Dru: Good grief, that's another difficult one to answer! ::another soft laugh.:: I'm not terribly familiar with many plays. My homeland doesn't promote the arts as a big part of our culture, so until I came to Rhy"Din, I wasn't really exposed to that many plays or playwrights. I enjoy Shakespeare, I must admit - the universal themes that he explored, even all those years ago, are still very relevant here and now. I understand that one of my favorite authors" books have been adapted into stage plays, though ....It will probably never happen, but I would very much like to try my hand at Ysabel from Mort, by Terry Pratchett. I haven't done much pure comedy.

Yasmin: I'm curious. Where is your homeland"

Dru: I come from a small principality to the south of Rhy"Din proper. The same place Josh is from. Unfortunately, for security reasons, I'm not actually allowed to tell you precisely where I originate. Disasters the like of which such as us cannot know wot of could happen. ::laughs::

Yasmin: Oh! Awesome! So if you told me, you'd have to kill me. I got it. Ok, back tot eh questions" Which performer, in your homeland or elsewhere, is your biggest inspiration and how did they inspire you?

Dru: Oh, I have an answer for this one straight away! Ruthie Henshall, who is a truly amazing performer on Earth. She's had such a varied and consistent career over the span of thirty years, and she's played so many iconic roles, including Roxie Hart and Velma Kelly - both our roles in Chicago! I have her book, So You Want To Be In Musicals", and it's filled with advice on how to deal with everything that comes with being a performer. I would definitely recommend reading it.

Yasmin: There's a how to book for musicals" How did I not know this" Oh, wait' cuz I was a pro from the beginning.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-03-29 16:00 EST
Yasmin: So, do you have a secret talent and, if so, it is something that you can show off on stage"

Dru: Well, I can fence. That is, competitive sword fighting, not erecting a boundary between two properties. There isn't much call for women to get a sword out on stage from what I've seen, however. Perhaps we should commission someone to write us a musical incorporating all our hidden talents"

Yasmin: That could be pretty cool. I hope Mataya's listening. Maybe we could do a Variety Show or something. I have to ask, if you weren't performing, what would you be doing"

Dru: ::thoughtful pause.:: I don't actually know. Obviously, if I was not performing, I would have to find something else to do with my time here in Rhy"Din. I'm not made to sit idle. But I think it would have to be something that challenges me physically, the way that singing and dancing does. My work at home is very much of the mental and emotional kind, and it doesn't afford me much opportunity to just let loose and enjoy what my body can do the way the Shanachie does.

Yasmin: That makes sense. Different types of challenges can be good. Speaking of, what is your toughest challenge when on stage"

Dru: My nerves are certainly at the top of that list. I originally started acting to help improve my confidence, and while that certainly has happened, I still suffer with awful stage fright before every performance. It doesn't matter if it is opening night or the last night, I still come over with nausea and trembling that doesn't go away until I step out onto the stage. Despite how exposed we are on the stage itself, once we're there, we have a job to do. The nerves seem to serve to fill me with enough energy to really throw myself into the role once I'm under the lights, but taking that step up onto the stage is still one of the most difficult things I have to do.

Yasmin: Besides splitting your time between two places, what was one of the most major things you have had to deal with"

Dru: Traveling down the street where my mother died. It was truly the most terrifying thing I have ever done, not knowing if the ones who had killed her would want to kill me, too. But I did it. I had to prove to myself, and to the people around me, that fear was not a good enough excuse to avoid danger.

Yasmin: Oh, I like that. That's strength. What mantra keeps you going and helps you keep up that strength"

Dru: Fake it "til you make it. As I say, I'm not particularly confident, nor am I very brave, but I have become very good at pretending to be. And I have found that the more you pretend, the easier it becomes. It's a good piece of advice, but it shouldn't be taken to the extreme.

Yas: That's probably true. Thanks so much for coming out tonight. Got a request to fade out to"

Dru: Thank you for having me, I've very much enjoyed myself! Could you play Carry On, Wayward Son, by Kansas" I only just discovered Earth music, and that one really resonates with me, for all sorts of reasons.

"Carry On, Wayward Son" by Kansas begins playing.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-06-19 22:12 EST

Hey! You're listening to WHAM! 101.1 FM and I'm DJ Dizzy Ya" Dizzy' Man, I need a break. I've been putting up with all these producers and censors and money people. Accountants, that's what they're called. No, wait. Bill collectors, that's it. And I just need to take some time to blow off a little steam.

I heard a really cool place to do just that is the Triple A Gym.

Now, I don't know what the three A's stand for, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say maybe one of them is for the owner, who I've been told goes by the name Apple.

From what I've heard, she's as fierce as her bold red hair. She's been a baron a couple of times, been a keeper of some of the dueling towers, and even went undefeated in some tournament. So, I say, if anyone is looking for some practical fighting tips, you'll probably find them at this chick's gym.

But don't think this place only caters to the dueling crowd. The gym offers MMA training and other self defense classes, and you can even get dietary and weight loss help there. It's pretty much a one-stop-shop for all things body.

So, head up to the Triple A Gym, located northwest of the Red Dragon Inn. If you hit Munro's, you've gone too far.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-06-19 22:22 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Tony

Good evening, Rhydin! Yes, it's your lovable DJ Zazzy Yas and this month, I'm bringing you some experienced dancers of the Shanachie's Ballet Company. Tonight, I have the head honcho of the company, himself, Anthony De Luca. Welcome, Tony. Can I call you Tony' I see most of the people in the Shanachie call you Tony.

Tony: Thanks for the welcome! It's great to be here. And yes, of course you can call me Tony, but only if I can call you Yas.

Yasmin: Sounds fair to me. It is my name, after all. "Oh! You think Yas is a nickname. See, most people think that. You know, funny story. When I applied to WHAM! I wrote my name too close together on my application and people just assumed my name was Yasmin. It's actually Yas Min, but hey, I like people thinking I'm a one name wonder like Cher, so I let it pass. But enough about me, let's talk about you, De Luca" Related to Mataya De Luca, the Shanachie owner"

Tony: Guilty as charged! Mataya is my sister. I have three of them - Theresa, Mataya, and Elena. I'm the eldest, and Elena is the baby.

Yas: So what do you say to claims that you only got the ballet thing with the Shanachie cuz of who you're related to'

Tony: ::chuckles:: I hate to admit it, but it's probably true. 'Tay ....Sorry, Mataya came to me a few years ago with the idea of starting a ballet company here in Rhy'Din. I was in New York at the time, performing with the New York City Ballet. What can I say' I'm not the only one who has a hard time saying no to Mataya. The rest is history.

Yas: I knew it! Well, hey, it's been working out for you. I heard that you've been with The Shanachie for four years. Are ballet years like dog years" Have you really been there for like sixteen years"

Tony: Sometimes it feels like that, but it's been almost four years, yes.

Yas: And you're the in Ballet Company with your wife. I remember the claims a couple years ago that you quote, unquote, knocked her up. Are we still sticking to that story'

Tony: Knocked up my wife" ::laughs:: We did things in the right order, if that's what you mean. I met Anya years ago in New York. We fell in love, but the timing wasn't right. She was returning to Russia to join the Bolshoi, and I had a contract in New York. We eventually lost touch, but were reunited a few years ago when we were dancing in the New York Gala, just before Mataya asked me to come here. The sparks were still there, and here we are!

Yas: I wasn't so much questioning order as orientation, but I still like the story. Speaking of fact versus fiction"

Yasmin

Date: 2016-06-19 22:25 EST
Yas: True or false. You named the baby after me.

Tony: Unless your name is really Sofia or Marya, that would be false. Maybe next time.

Yas: That works for me. You know, I usually have actors on, but this month I'm focusing on the more experienced Shanachie Ballet-ists. What made you get into the ballet'

Tony: Good question. I would have to say it was initially because of my mother. She has always loved the arts, and while my sisters went into acting, my mother encouraged me to try dancing. I think it was also to keep me out of trouble. I hated it at first, mostly because the other boys would make fun of me, but after a while, dancing became such an important part of who I am that I couldn't imagine my life without it.

Yas: Aw. I like that. So what would you say is your biggest challenge when you're dancing"

Tony: Hmm, that's a difficult question. Perhaps the biggest challenge is making it look easy. I can assure you that it is nothing of the sort. It has taken me nearly a lifetime of training and practice to hone my skills as a dancer. It is also not easy to act while you are dancing. Dancing requires great physical strength, stamina, and concentration, especially for a man when a single mistake can end in disaster, not only for yourself, but your partner.

Yas: I can attest to that. When I did a very minor role in this year's Gala, whoo, it was pretty rough, though I'd never admit it. But hey, it was an amazing experience. What has been your favorite performance you have done"

Tony: Oh, my favorite role without a doubt has been and always will be Romeo, but only with Anya as my Juliet. That is how we met, and they are the roles for which we are best known. It was while we were dancing Romeo and Juliet that we fell in love. Anya will always be my Juliet, and I simply refuse to dance it with anyone but her.

Yas: That's super sweet. But if you could act in your dream ballet, something that you haven't done yet, what would it be?

Tony: There are so many great dance roles for men it's hard to pick only one! I must admit I have always wanted to dance Apollo, but it seems a little narcissistic. Perhaps I'll do it once before I retire, whenever that will be. This doesn't really answer your question, but I'd also like to try choreographing an original ballet - something that hasn't been done before. We've been talking about doing Red Riding Hood for a while. Do you think I'd make a better wolf or huntsman'

Yas: I don't know about a huntsman, but I have heard there are otters, bears, and wolves, and I would probably go with a wolf, but I don't think we're talking about the same thing?

Yasmin

Date: 2016-06-19 22:29 EST
Yas: You probably do quite a bit of the hiring and stuff for the ballet troupe at the Shanachie. What do you look for in a ballet-er"

Tony: We hold open auditions every fall, and we are more than happy to welcome new talent. We are a relatively small company, but we've been fortunate enough to feature some of Rhy'Din's finest dancers during our short time here. There are a lot of things I look for in a dancer. Talent and skill are definitely important, but even more so, there is a special certain something that some dancers possess that is even more important. Call it presence, perhaps. All the great ones had it - Nureyev, Baryshnikov, Fonteyn, Pavlova.

Yas: ::interrupts:: Gesundheit.

Tony: I also look for creativity and depth of feeling. Any dancer can learn technique, but even the most perfect technique will become boring to watch if it is not coupled with feeling.

Yas: That is very true, and also a good segue into....Tell me more about this De Luca Dance Studio.

Tony: The dance studio is a joint venture between myself and Mataya. When Black Cat Studios closed, we decided to fill the gap and open a studio of our own close to the theater. What better way to train dancers who might one day join the theater" We offer classes in ballet, tap, and jazz for all ages, as well as a class in musical theater. We also offer ballroom dancing for couples and wedding packages for those who'd like to learn a thing or two before their big day. There's a little something for everyone!

Yas: Awesome, so what do you think are good qualities for people wanting to try dance either as a hobby or as a profession'

Tony: Well, if you want to dance for a hobby, you should just have fun with it, but if you are serious about making it a profession, I think one of the most important qualities for a dancer is tenacity. The determination to keep going, even when it's hard and it hurts and you think you're a failure. Other qualities include patience, persistence, and team work. Team work is very important, especially if you are dancing with a partner or a group.

Yas: That's a good point. Any last advice for any wannabe dancers out there listening in"

Tony: The best advice I can give is to follow your heart, but wishing alone won't make you a good dancer. It takes years of hard work and dedication, but if you truly put your mind to it, anything is possible. Just don't give up. Keep trying. There's a saying back home on Earth: "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." I can't think of any better advice than that.

Yas: I do like that. Thanks for coming out, Tony. In honor of you being here, I'm gonna dedicate this song to you, Tony Dancer"

"Tiny Dancer? by Elton John begins playing.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-06-24 00:10 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Anya

Hello, WHAM! listeners. This is DJ Zazzy Yas and tonight I have here with me one of the experienced dancers of the Shanachie's Ballet Company, Anastasia De Luca. Welcome, Anya.

Anya: Privet, Yasmina! Thank you for inviting me onto your show, I am very excited!

Yas: I feel like I should have interviewed you in January. In fact, I may have been scheduled to do that. I can't remember. But January is a big month for you, isn't it'

Anya: Da, January is a very important month for me. It is the month in which I was married, and it is the month in which I gave birth to our daughter, Sofia Marya. Congratulations, by the way - when the birth was announced, you were the only person who got the pronunciation right!

Yas: ::interrupts:: Ha! I knew it!

Anya: But yes, I was married on January 31st in 2014, and Sofia was born on January 18th, 2015. And, of course, it is the month when the Shanachie is closed for maintenance, so I can spend time with my family without rehearsals or business concerns getting in the way.

Yas: Ohh. That's actually brilliant. So what?s it like being married to Tony' Like marrying your gay best friend"

Anya: Oh, do not call him gay! ::giggling ensues:: I can assure you that Tony is definitely heterosexual. But he is my best friend, da. We met when I was twenty, and it was ....magical, a connection that happens once in a lifetime. My greatest mistake was to leave him for my career, and my happiest moment was when he danced back into my life four years later. I decided right then that I would follow him anywhere, and Rhy"Din is where we ended up!

Yas: Ok, ok, no more gay jokes" Mostly cuz I already interviewed Tony, but let's be honest. Is your kid really his?

Anya: That question is beneath you, Yasmina. Tony is the love of my life, and no other man has ever shared my bed.

Yas: Ok, ok, if you say so. You're just so darn cute when you say Yasmina that I have to believe you.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-06-24 00:21 EST
Yas: So how has having a baby last year and now running around after a toddler affected your dance career" I'd imagine both would put some strain on your body.

Anya: Well, I thought I would have to stop dancing altogether before I could ever get pregnant to begin with, but my body had other plans. I discovered I was pregnant during A Midsummer Night's Dream, and between us, Tony and I decided I should stop dancing at that point. I did not stop rehearsing - if a dancer stops stretching and practicing every day, their muscles lose flexibility and strength. But, of course, Sofia arrived by C-section, which is difficult for anyone to recover from. I was lucky to have a healer see to me, but it was still difficult to retrain my body in between feeds and playing. ::laughs softly:: We are very lucky that Sofia enjoys music and dancing. She does not have the best timing, as she proved at the Gala. I have never seen Tony choreograph on the spot before, but we couldn't just send her off stage. She wanted to dance, so we danced.

Yas: That was pretty doggone cute. I think she gets the cute from you. I heard that you've been with The Shanachie for three years. How's that been"

Anya: It has been exhilarating. I had never been a part of a new company before the Shanachie Ballet was formed, and it was a true pleasure to be a part of something that was finding its voice and its expression. And to work with such an eclectic mixture of people! On Earth, dancers tend to move in the same circles and know each other by reputation long before they ever dance together, and yet here on Rhy?Din, I have had the privilege of dancing with people I have never met before, people who constantly amaze me with their skill and expression.

Yas: You know this month, I'm trying to focus on the more veteran Shanachie Ballet-ists, so I want to hit on that a bit more. What made you get into the ballet'

Anya: It was the music. My Papa says that I was dancing long before I could walk, but with three older brothers, my Mama wanted to have a proper little girl. I was started in ballet when I was three years old, and I hated it! ::laughs merrily:: But as I got older and more proficient, the music caught me. I found a great love for Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev, men who wrote such beautiful music that truly lends itself to stories told through the medium of dance.

((Anya De Luca's interview continues on the next page.))

Yasmin

Date: 2016-06-24 00:26 EST
((Continued from the previous page. See the beginning of Anya De Luca's interview here.))

Yas: I heard ballet-ists have to go through a lot of training. What kind of training have you been through'

Anya: As I said, my mother put me into ballet classes when I was three years old. They were like the classes run at the De Luca Dance Studio, outside of school hours and designed to give the youngest dancers an introduction to ballet. I did not truly begin to study ballet until I was ten years old, when I was accepted into the Vaganova School of Russian Ballet - Vaganova was a truly gifted ballerina, and one of the greatest teachers. Her method is highly regarded in ballet circles. I studied there for seven years, and performed with the Mariinsky Ballet several times. When I graduated, I was lucky enough to be offered an apprenticeship in the corps de ballet of the Mariinsky Ballet, which is the resident ballet company in my hometown of St. Petersburg, and I stayed with them for two years. Then I was offered a principal place in the New York City Ballet, and I have been dancing with various companies ever since. You never stop training in ballet; there is always something new to learn.

Yas: Ok, but I'm curious why when you say the Russian version, "Vaginova", you don't get bleeped, but when I say the English word, I get bleeped and have to complete a sexual harassment course. I think that's racist cuz I'm blue. You know, we chicks are all the same color on the inside of our vaginovas. Just sayin". Don't worry, I'm not upset with you, just the men upstairs callin" the shots. But anyway' For people who might not know, what would you say is the biggest differences between acting in a play or musical and doing ballet'

Anya: The greatest difference" A play or a musical has words to express the themes and emotions of a performance. It has an intellectual appeal that pure ballet does not. Ballet is, perhaps, limited to movement and dance, but can be a more moving experience, combining dance with music to express emotional themes. Take Cinderella for example - you, I believe, have performed in a musical version of that fairytale, and you used words to great effect, to encourage the audience to hate your character, to engage with your story. We, too, at the ballet, have performed our own Cinderella, but we had no words to tell the same story. It is a very different experience, but the audience comes away with the same feelings, evoked in them in very different ways.

Yas: Most of that is probably true, but I'm fairly sure the audience loved my character. The stepmother is totally the star of the show, or at least she was when I got done with it. Probably one of my top favorite roles, as a matter of fact. What has been your favorite role"

Anya: Oh, there are so many! Kitri in Don Quixote, the title role in Ondine, Gazmatti in La Bayadere....they all offer something different to play. Kitri is very playful, very comedic, and yet there is so much technical in her performance. Ondine is a tragic character - expressing how deeply she loves Palemon is a true challenge, and a privilege. Gazmatti ....well, I enjoyed being the villain for once, and dancing with Josette was enormous fun. But my favorite role has, and always will be, Juliet to Anthony's Romeo. It was the first role I danced with him; it was the ballet that marked my falling in love with him. We may be too old for the roles now, but I will dance Romeo and Juliet with my Tony until my bones give up the ghost.

Yas: Aww. That's so sweet.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-06-24 00:31 EST
Yas: So if you could act in your dream ballet, something that you haven't done yet, what would it be?

Anya: My dream ballet does not yet exist. ::another merry laugh:: But we are working on it! Slowly. I should very much like to dance the role of Red Riding Hood, but the ballet has not yet been created. It is on my to-do list. Sometime Anthony and I will create it together, and it will be glorious.

Yas: I can't wait! You know, I figure you have made it to the top, but I hear there's an honor you don't have yet. What is it and what in the world would you still have to do to make it'

Anya: Da. I have not yet earned the title of ballerina. I am a principal dancer, certainly, but I do not think I am a true ballerina. The word conjures images of Pavlova, Fonteyn, Copeland ....women who truly are or were the greatest dancer of their time. To me, they are ballerinas, and I will never reach their height. But I am content with that. I am happy where I am, in a company that suits me, with a family I love. I do not need to the best to be happy, not any more.

Yas: What would you even have to do to get the title" Cuz I don't know how anyone can be more ballerina-y than you.

Anya: ::laughs:: I do not know if there is anything I can do to reach their heights. They all have that certain something, that je ne nais quoi, that cannot even be put into words. Watching a true ballerina dance is like watching music in motion - it moves you in ways you cannot describe. It is not for me to say whether my dancing even touches theirs, but perhaps, sometimes, it does.

Yas: Oh, ok. So it's just one of those things where you just made up what the title means. Well, in my completely experienced opinion now, I say you're a ballerina. But do you have any advice for any wannabe ballerinas or dancers out there listening in"

Anya: Don't give up, and don't let anybody tell you that your dream is too big or too small. If you wish to be a principal dancer, then work for it. Work hard, and even if you do not make it to that height, it is not time wasted. So long as you love to dance, keep dancing. There will always be an audience for those who truly love to dance.

Yas: Sounds good to me! Thanks for talking to us, Anya. Everybody hear that' Keep dancing and keep getting that good feeling, and what a feeling it is!

"What A Feeling" by Irene Cara begins playing.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-06-27 23:04 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Merethyl

This is DJ Zazzy Yas and tonight on Inside The Shanachie, I have the lovely Merethyl Benoit with me tonight. So, I have to ask this first, cuz I want to and it's my show....What's all this about you and Christian getting married" Cuz I don't remember him saying nothing about dating when I had him on the show. "Though that may be my own fault for not specifically asking.

Merethyl: Hello to you, too. ::laughs softly:: And yes, Christian and I were married on April 13th. It was a very small ceremony, we did not want a fuss made of us. And, well ....surely what happens in your private life should stay private, shouldn't it' Our being together hasn't affected our ability to perform, though I must admit he has taught me a great deal about how to express myself through dance. He is, simply, a wonderful man.

Yas: I guess you can keep your private life private. I'm pretty sure that, by now, people know what I had for breakfast, but that's just the open book that I am. But let's examine you a bit more. It says on the roster that you're a soloist. What does that mean' That you're too good to work with other people" Cuz, if so, how do I go about becoming a soloist actress"

Merethyl: Oh, goodness. ::another quiet laugh:: To be a soloist in a ballet company is simply to say that you are a danseuse principale - that is to say, a principal dancer - and that you primarily perform alone, rather than in a duet. Variations in ballet come in many forms, but the best known is the pas de deux, which is a duet, often between a man and a woman. A solo dance is a pas seule, and there are often variations on the pas seule within a pas de deux and especially within a grande pas. ::pauses for a moment:: Irina is the one who made me a soloist. She informed me that watching me dance was like watching paint dry, and decided to keep me as a soloist until I learned to show emotion through dance. I think you are far too fine an actress to ever be told such a thing about your performance, Yasmin.

Yas: Oh, I know. I'm fantastic. That's why I got the lead in the "RhyDin Nights" movie. I shoulda got a Tony or Oscar or whatever they are, but the movie was put out too late. I'd like to blame the director" ::coughs "Jonathan Granger":: ?but I haven't exactly figured out a way to make it his fault yet.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-06-27 23:05 EST
Yas: Speaking of my movie, when I saw you at the After Party, I thought for a second that I caught a glimpse of your bare feet peeking out under your dress. Was I drunk hallucinating again?

Merethyl: You were not hallucinating, no. I was barefoot. I did have some shoes with me, just in case the floor became treacherous to walk upon.

Yas: How come you were in bare feet' Your dress was fancy enough that you looked like you could afford shoes" or did you spend all your budget on the dress" I've been caught in that trap before.

Merethyl: Ah, well, I did not actually spend anything on the dress. Christian bought it for me - he was caught up in rehearsal and could not attend, but he insisted that I present myself well. And now he knows that I did not wear the shoes that came with the dress. ::clears her throat with awkward amusement:: My people - the elven community I was born into and raised among - we live in the forests of our homeland, and there is little need for shoes. We love to feel the ground beneath our feet, the connection with the land that protects and sustains us. I wear shoes in the city because it is dangerous not to, frankly, and, of course, on stage. It is possible to rise en pointe without toe shoes, but it is hellishly painful and results in some terrible injuries.

Yas: Oh, hey, no judgments here. Everyone knows my shapeshifting. Heck, I don't wear shoes either, though it looks like it. In fact " totally naked right now, but I'm looking good in what looks like jeans and a tee, right' But hey, enough of me. I should probably get to the ballet questions. What got you started in ballet'

Merethyl: Goodness, what did get me started" I have been studying ballet, specifically, for around fifty years. Before that, I spent a good forty years studying the traditional national dances of the various cultures I had the privilege to meet on my travels. My parents were both dancers; I was raised to dance, but I felt stifled to be kept in one particular style. When I left home and began to make use of the portals, it brought me into contact with many other styles of dance, and I simply chose the ones that challenged me the most. Ballet is one of the most beautiful, and yet most physically demanding, genres I have ever studied, and I do not think I shall ever be a true master at it. But it has brought me a great deal of joy.

Yas: :: pauses:: Don't mind me. I'm just trying to count and figure out' but either way, dang, you look good for your age, girl. But besides your parents, who would you say is your biggest role model"

Merethyl: I would say that my greatest role model is Christian, my husband. ::her smile is audible:: It's a terribly boring answer, isn't it' And yet last year he was told he would never dance again. He trusted his friend when Anthony invited him to Rhy"Din and promised that he would dance again. He trusted me, when I was chosen to help him regain his confidence as a cavalier. But more than that, he had the courage to come to a place that was totally unknown to him, and to believe that the doctors were wrong. He was beautiful in the Spring Gala. He has achieved so much over the course of less than a year, and I believe there is more he can achieve as time goes on. I am privileged to be able to witness his growth.

Yas: I'm so glad he got some caviar to regain his confidence. Couple shots of vodka and I'm cool. Like I said, no judgments.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-06-27 23:07 EST
Yas: So what has been your favorite role you've done with the Shanachie"

Merethyl: Oh, I have no favorite role, as such. But this year's Gala gave me the opportunity to dance the role of Swanilda, from Copp"lia, and the role of one of the fairies from The Sleeping Beauty. Both dances that challenge in different ways - Swanilda's pas de deux is complex and highly technical, and yet she is light and comical throughout it. And, of course, the three fairies dance together, perfectly in time. It is not an easy thing, to dance with two very different ballerinas and compliment them with your own motion, but it has been a lot of fun to learn.

Yas: Yeah, I thought you did really well. But what about the future" What would you like to be in"

Merethyl: I would love to dance Kitri, from Don Quixote. She is such a playful character, she has so much mischief, and yet she dances with astonishing grace and technical skill. And, of course, she performs the thirty two fouett's en tournant, which was made famous in Cinderella, by the amazing Earth ballerina, Pierina Legani. I have not yet managed to do more than twenty six, myself, but for Kitri, I would push myself to do better. I don't quite understand how Anastasia De Luca can perform forty six and stay upright.

Yas: I once did five shots of one hundred proof back to back and remained upright for a whole hour" but I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I think I could be a competitive drinker if I wasn't doing this. What about you? If you weren't performing, what would you be doing"

Merethyl: That ....is a very good question. If I had not found a place at the Shanachie, I would probably have moved on through the portals. I would have continued traveling, and studying other forms of dance. Perhaps I would even be teaching them, though I do not think I will begin to teach until my time is close. Why should I end this wonderful adventure before I must'

Yas: I think that was what I said when I downed the five shots that night' What other personal mantra would you offer to listeners out there"

Merethyl: I am glad you asked about a personal mantra! ::another merry laugh down the mic:: My people have a saying we have picked up from somewhere or other - Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill. In other words, don't give advice without knowing the person you are speaking to, because there is always a chance that it will backfire, whether they take your advice or not. But personally' If you have a dream, follow it. Persevere. Practice, learn, become what you must become to reach for the star you long to touch. Even if you never reach it, you may well find something better in your journey.

Yas: I like both of those, especially following your dream thing. Cuz if you don't, you find you've been working so hard, just punching that card for eight hours for what? Then, tell me, what ya got' Actually, I think I know what ya got' Let me pull it up here"

"Footloose" by Kenny Loggins begins playing.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-06-29 09:51 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with Jamie

Hello Rhydin! You're listening to Inside the Shanachie on WHAM! 101.1FM where I talk to some special people from the Shanachie Theater. Tonight, I have my last set of guests from the Ballet Company, Mr. James Willis. Welcome" Is it James or Jamie"

Jamie: All right, pet. It's James if you're being fussy, but Jamie to my friends. We are friends, right'

Yas: Oh! Are we" That would be cool. I always need more friends in my entourage. Let's see if you're cool enough though. Let me look over your sheet here" You've been with The Shanachie for four years" That's a pretty long time. How long have you been in ballet'

Jamie: Oh, I've been dancing ballet since I was wee lad. I wasn't sporty when I was small, and I've always been scrawny-like. I loved dancing, though, and my father didn't have the heart to say no when I asked to learn ballet. It's a big thing for man where I'm from to stand up and say "No, this is what my son wants, and this is what he'll do, and I'll knock the teeth out of any man says otherwise". He would have preferred me to be a boxer or some such, but he's been by me all the way with the dancing.

Yas: I think that's pretty sweet. Huh. So you've been doing this for awhile then. How old are ballet-ists when they send them out to pasture"

Jamie: Out to pasture" ::a big belly laugh follows:: Are you suggesting that I need fattening up, Yas" You and my mother should go into business together.

Yas: I could if she has her own radio studio' and if she would be willing to name it after me. I was thinking the call letters could be YAS-Z. Like Jay Z, but you know, cooler. But enough about me. What got you started in ballet, Jasper?

Jamie: I know it's a terrible stereotype, but, uh ....well, I was jealous of the girls with their pretty tutus and elegant movements, and I wanted to be a part of it. My sister used to get me to help her practice, and she'd teach me a few steps in exchange. I was a child, but I already knew I was different from my brothers. I was lucky to have parents who supported my decision - it could have been lot worse.

Yas: That's true, Jackie. Sometimes parents want their daughters to be the baker in the kitchen while they want their sons to be the star on the football team. Its cool when people can just let other people be people.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-06-29 09:52 EST
Yas: So, of all the different parts you've done so far, what has been your favorite"

Jamie: Oh, hands down, it was Kay in The Snow Queen. I got to work closely with wee Doran, to make sure that we were a reflection of one another - him playing the younger Kay, you know. It's harder than you might think to incorporate someone else's style into your own performance, but it's so rewarding when the audience recognizes that part of them in you. Actually, it was that experience that made me jump at the chance to take on one of the classes at the Dance Studio. I had a lot of fun working with a youngster. ::chuckles:: I know, I look about twelve myself, but I swear I am a grown up.

Yas: You're not twelve" Ok, but not a day over fourteen. And you guys sure did great in the Snow Queen. If you could pick any role to do, what would it be?

Jamie: I would love to be able to dance the Nutcracker Prince, in The Nutcracker. There's so much to tackle in it, and for a good part of the action, you're hampered by the costume - the mask, you know" You can only express yourself through movement while that mask is in place, and, well ....it may not be a romance, but it's a very romantic story. And so beautiful, with the soldiers, and the fairies, and the snowflakes, not to mention the national dances in the second act. It would be a joy.

Yas: Yes, I would imagine it would be pretty awesome to be in a mainstay like the Nutcracker, especially as the title role. But how about the flip side, Joey' If you weren't doing ballet, what would you be doing?

Jamie: You know, I've never thought of that. I've been so focused on dancing for so long, it never occurred to me to think of anything I might do if it didn't pan out. And I've a lot to thank dancing for - without it, I wouldn't have met my husband, for example.

Yas: Oh em gee! Finally! A gay dancer. It's been so hard to find you. You're like in a sea of heterosexual dudes. Tell me about your husband and how you met him and everything. This is exciting!

Jamie: It's not really that exciting, is it' ::laughs:: Ah, well, I don't get to gush often, so brace yourself ....His name's Tom, and, uh ....well, we met when he started to learn ballet to strengthen his remaining leg. He lost his leg, d'you see, when he was serving in the army, and he wasn't enjoying the straight physio they were trying to get him on. Chose to do ballet himself, got himself a guest place in rehearsals at the company I was a part of. Let me tell you, that man could talk a virgin into a whorehouse; he's got charm up to his eyeballs. So there he is, this burly fella in sweatpants and all, surrounded by wee ballerinas and the lads like me, and he comes right over to me and says, "If I drop you, I'll make it up to you." ::another low laugh:: Long story short, he dropped me - just like I knew he would - and I claimed a date as his way of making it up to me. We'd only been together a few weeks when I got offered a place here on Rhy'Din, but he upped sticks to come with me before I even got out that I was leaving. He's truly a wonder. I'm very lucky to have him in my life, and luckier still that he didn't deck me when I proposed! I'm the woman, you see. ::the laugh that follows is definitely on the dirty side::

Yas: I adore that get-together story! And hey, at least you know what you are. I have no idea what I am in my relationships.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-06-29 09:55 EST
Yas: Speaking of relationships, although a working one in this case, you've been working opposite Josette quite often. At least in the Spring Gala and the Snow Queen, right' How is it working with the new-comer"

Jamie: Josette is ....Cripes, how'd you describe her" She's poetry in motion. I feel very lucky to be paired with her. She's been through a lot, but she trusted me right from the start, and that is the greatest gift you can give a cavalier. Not once has she thought I would drop her, or harm her in any way, and that gives me confidence. And, of course, without her, I wouldn't have danced such a contemporary piece in the Gala. That was nerve-wracking, but she knows her stuff. It's a real honor to be her partner.

Yas: So, explain to me why ballet is so neat. Like, do a bit of marketing here. Why should people come out and see people prancing around as opposed to going to a play, or even a movie for example"

Jamie: Well, why shouldn't they' A play touches you one way, a movie touches you another. A ballet will touch you in yet another way. There's nothing to compare there. They're all very different forms, and they all have their own appeal. I'm biased, because I'm a ballet dancer. So, uh ....come to ballet, or I won't get paid! ::another cheeky laugh::

Yas: Good point. Ok, well, this is awkward. I have about another minute or two to fill before I do my next song and I've run out of questions, so' Tell me something about Jacob that might be interesting to our listeners.

Jamie: Who's Jacob' ::chuckles:: The name's Jamie, darlin'. Keep getting it wrong, and I might think you don't love me anymore. If I'm thinking that, you can't come out with me next time I go clubbing, and believe me, that's an experience. The clubs on Rhy'Din are truly amazing - I've been to a few of your engagements, you know. That strange wee fella in the spangly shirt and shorts who doesn't leave the dance floor until kicking out time" That's me!

Yas: Oh! I'm glad someone enjoys with I'm out on location at a club as much as I do. Thanks for coming out tonight, Jackson.

Jamie: ::snorts with laughter:: It's been a real pleasure, Yasmin. So ....we're taking your girls and mine out for a slap up meal and dance 'til you drop night soon, aye"

Yas: I have no idea what you just said, but I'm totally up for anything, and since I've talked with some of the dancers of the Shanachie, I'm definitely ready to dance with somebody!

"I Wanna Dance with Somebody" by Whitney Houston begins playing.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-07-26 23:43 EST

What is this" Here or die" I don't get it"

Oh! Ok, ok, I see. Oh, that's cute.

So, if you haven't heard of this place yet, there is this awesome little hair salon located in the Marketplace, across from Weddings by Miranda and next door to the Sassy Owl Saloon. It's called Hair or Dye. Dye, like hair dye. Very creative. But I'll be honest, not as creative as the hair they do.

Insane colors! Crazy complicated braids! It's amazing!

I think they got their breakout when they were featured at Beltane, and then they blew up again during the Wedding Expo. I have some pictures from the events and I do not know how hair can go in those directions. It's pretty awesome.

Next time I am going to get my hair done, I'm going to this place. I'll take caller suggestions of what color to dye my hair. I vote rainbow. And yes! They can do that! Don't believe me, go and ask for Grace Cassidy. I know I'll be.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-07-26 23:46 EST
Inside the Actors" Shanachie with the Mataya De Luca

Good evening, Rhydin. You're listening to DJ Zazzy Yas for WHAM! 101.1FM and I have with me on an extra special "Inside the Actors" Shanachie", Mataya De Luca. Actress, singer, dancer, director, producer, dance instructor, theater owner, and mom. Not in that order. Welcome, Mataya.

Mataya: Thank you, Yas. And hello to my extra-special favorite diva! Isn't this exciting" I've been listening to these for months, and now I'm on one! Better yet, I'm going to put you through your paces, young lady.

Yasmin: Well, bring it on! You see, listeners, tonight's a special show because Mataya is gonna be interviewing me while I interview her. We'll see how this goes. Are you going first or am I" You know what. We're not in the Shanachie anymore. My show. My rules. First up, I want to know what got you started in show biz"

Mataya: ::laughs:: Your show, definitely your rules. ::beat:: I reserve the right to break them, though. Anywho ....Actually, it was my big brother who got me started in showbiz. I was kinda jealous of all the fun he was having at ballet, so I badgered my mom to let me take dance lessons, and I loved it! Not the ballet side, that hurts like hell, but modern and jazz are my babies. And then when I was a teenager, my sisters got asked to do a TV show, and they invited me to join in. We all kinda grew up on screen. My turn! What's the deal with Jonathan Granger" Are you two having some kind of love-hate affair I should know about before his wife tries to decapitate you?

Yasmin: I think its hate-hate on my side. I won't speak for him. Can you respect and hate someone at the same time" I think you can. But anyway, it all started back when I came to Rhydin. He was everywhere, doing his movies, being all famous. I was totally jealous. First chance I got to get into a movie, I jumped on it. Gave me a good starting point for my leading role later, which I should probably thank you for, but let's be honest, I made that movie, so instead I'll say "You're welcome." So, my next question is" Why get your own theater"

Mataya: Well, Lassie, it was a whim that spiraled out of control really fast. ::laughs:: As a lot of people know, I was in a bad place when I got to Rhy?Din. I'd just come out of rehab, I was divorced, I was completely burned out on performing. I didn't have the energy to even think straight for a while there. But when I got here, I was shocked by how little provision there was for the amazing talent that gets vomited up by this place every day, and I wanted to do something about that. So I found the old Docquey mansion, bought it for remodeling, and the rest is history.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-07-26 23:47 EST
Mataya: I've gotta ask you ....what got you started in showbiz"

Yasmin: I didn't know it was a mansion. That makes sense why we have that ghost floating around everyone keeps seeing. But, me" Well, I kinda grew up in show business, twice, if you wanna look at it that way. I grew up with a gang of gypsies and you kinda have to perform to earn a living. But it just wasn't quite the life I wanted. We kinda intercepted towns with this traveling circus and I was blown away with all the, forgive my phrasing here but, theatrics. I wanted bigger, bolder, better. So I ran away and joined the circus. That led me to the bigger towns where I started on stages, then went into dance for awhile, did a few acting gigs here and there under countless names, and though I'd give Rhydin a chance when I got bored of my last gig. Now, tell me about being a mom and still wearing all those hats. How can you keep up with everything you got going on' Especially when you add new things each year, like the dancing studio thing this year.

Mataya: You should invite Hortense to your dressing room sometime, she likes being friendly with the living. ::beat:: Sounds like you've had a pretty amazing run so far. But me" I know the list is long, but it's really not as jam-packed as you might think. I mean, I haven't performed on stage for almost a year now, so I should probably take the actor credit off my list. The most important role in my life is being a mom, very closely followed by being a lover and a friend. Years ago, I thought that the only way to handle staving off cravings and addictions - which I really struggled with - was to work myself into the ground. Which, I guess, is how the theater came about. And then this little miracle started growing in my belly, and everything else kinda seemed less important. I still have loads of time for the theater, and the dance studio - which isn't new, it's just newly in our names - and for my friends, but Max and Juno and Oscar are my priority these days. There really is something very special about the water here. ::laughs: But what about you? You have your fingers in so many pies, it's amazing you're not disappearing up your own backside! How do you keep it all straight"

Yasmin: Well, I'm guilty of letting certain areas lack while I pick up a few more things. My full time DJ"ing for WHAM! is now just a part time gig. The movie is done and over. I pick up the occasional act here and there. And the theater is off and on every couple weeks. Honestly, I kinda like the changing aspect of my schedule. I guess it appeals to the traveling-ness in me. If I'd be doing the same thing, I'd probably have moved on from Rhydin awhile ago. Well, can't really say that. I got more than a few things keeping me grounded. You'd be surprised how cool it is to meet so many nice people. People to be your friends, lover.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-07-26 23:48 EST
Yasmin: Speaking of lover, your husband, Max Yako used to perform at the Shanachie. What's he up to now" Has he retired from acting, too"

Mataya: There'll be more movies, we're just taking a break! ::laughs:: Actually, Max announced his retirement last September. He wanted to focus more on being a dad. I mean, Juno's pretty much all grown up and never really needed us all that much, but it's different having a little boy and two insane dogs in the house, too. He seems really at peace with himself these days, and I couldn't be happier for him. He's my quiet place, the person I go when I need to remember what?s important, or when I need to be told to shut up and sit down and just be me. You never know, we might remarry at some point; we might not. He's in a good place, and I'm very happy to be a part of it. My turn again! Is there anything that you haven't done you'd like to try' A specific role, or a different career"

Yasmin: Ha! Luckily, I think I try a different kind of performance role all the time, whether its modeling or doing street work or on stage or on air. As far as a different career all together, no. No. I love performing too much. Its my drug. And as far as a certain role I'd like to do, one role is just as good as another. As long as I'm not typecasted, though, cuz I don't like falling into a rut or anything. Way too boring" Huh. Let me see" I think I'm out of questions. Hold on, I got this" What was your best experience with your actors at the Shanachie" Like any play that came together under rough circumstances, or anything that blew you away"

Mataya: I have two more questions, so you're gonna have to come up with something, sweetcheeks! ::giggles:: Oh, wow, best experience? I don't think it's possible to single out any one experience with the Shanachie. I mean, we've had poor reviews caused by doppelgangers on stage that were completely turned around when the actual actor - ahemJONahem - reappeared from where they'd been hiding; we've had a run of diva-isms, as I'm sure you recall; we've created three distinct companies with their own personalities; and we even get to help children who might not otherwise have this opportunity find out what it is they love about performing. It's not a case of choosing a favorite experience. The Shanachie itself is a favorite experience, and one I hope to share with a lot of people for a long time to come.

Yasmin

Date: 2016-07-26 23:48 EST
Mataya: Okay, I have a deep one now - if you could go back in time, what advice would you give to your younger self"

Yasmin: Oh wow. :: pauses:: The things that I would wish I could change were all things outside of my control" I guess I would say to myself not to lose touch with the few friends I had picked up along the way in the old days. And I'd probably try to encourage myself to find out more about where I came from. But honestly, I wouldn't have listened to me then, and I probably wouldn't listen to me now. I'm stubborn like that. But anyway. Here's my good one I want to get in - As the theater owner and all, what would you say to anyone listening who might like to try auditioning in the fall for the next season' Any words of wisdom, or anything that you particularly look for in an applicant"

Mataya: Now you see, that's an easy answer and a hard one all at the same time. ::chuckles:: On the one hand, all I look for myself is enthusiasm. The right kind of energy, the energy that you can throw into creating a new persona on the stage and sustain for three hours every night. Ludo and Gabe, they look for the training, but they'd be the first to say that you don't need to be trained to be a star. The training helps, it gives you tools to create a character from the script, but talent is talent. I have never said no to an applicant. If you can give me your time, your energy, and your commitment to making each and every production a success ....why should I say no' Okay, last question from me, sparky ....Who, or what, inspires you?

Yasmin: Hmm. I like that question. Actually, a lot of people inspire me. Mostly, I see a trait or an accomplishment that I respect and I try to emulate or achieve the same. But as soon as I hit that goal, I go onto the next inspiration. Its probably why I get into, and move on from, so many things. As an example, Jon Granger got me into movies. Harris and Serichi got me into radio. But there are so many things that inspire me all the time to keep going and trying new things. So. I think that went pretty well. Did you want to offer any final words" And I'll let you make your request for a fade out song, unless you want me to choose one. Thanks for coming out and doing this with me, Mataya. It was super cool to have you here.

Mataya: Me" Final words" ::laughs:: Honey, I never stop talking! But I'll be good this time ....Hmm, let's see. This is DJ "Taya Bubbles and Zazzy Yas, signing off! Oh, and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, please.

"Girls Just Want To Have Fun? by Cyndi Lauper begins playing.