Topic: Act V: May 2007 - June 2007

Toby

Date: 2007-05-14 16:11 EST
(( Welcome to the new beginning. These next series of posts are prose rewritings of the logs betwen Toby and Tabitha St. Germain, and all credit for Tabi's work goes to her wonderful player. :) ))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Act V - "Tabitha"

It was three weeks after his self-imposed exile, and a day or three after he'd finally come to be at peace with himself about it all. He was outside in the late hours of the evening, sitting on his back porch deck overlooking the hillside as it fell away to the lake shore. The stars were out... it was a *gorgeous* night. His thoughts were everywhere in the universe tonight, and not the least on certain someones.

Duke and Duchess lay curled up in dogloaf at his feet, noses buried in their tails. The rocking chair creaked gently as he watched the moon on the water, little waves breaking. It was an altogether serene night. On the surface, then...

A faint something made him pause. The fabric of reality, the tapestry he could feel now like a living thing... was off. Threads were changing, things were unraveling and reshaping... and not far off at all. He closed his eyes partway.. just 'listening' to the universe. It was magic, he knew that much. Kairee was a good teacher, and he'd come to know the feel of it.

Over that serene, rippling lake Toby saw the air seem to ripple as well, as if mirroring the waters below. And out of that rippling, he saw a figure falling, helpess, and splashing into the water with an impact that sounded almost like a hard slap. Staring for only a moment, Toby came to his senses and jumped off the chair, running down the hillside towards the figure now struggling to swim to shore, sputtering and frantic. He shouted to them, and even in their obvious confusion, the shape in the water splashed towards him, finally close enough that he could get ahold of a flailing wrist and yank them up onto the shore.

Toby turned the sputtering, coughing person around to their knees to help them get rid of any water they'd swallowed, and heard a surprised and pained yelp. "Holy hell, are you okay?", he asked, and in turn got the second huge surprise of his night as the woman looked up at him, dark hair plastered against her face from the water, eyes huge. "Toby?"

He blinked hard, stunned. "*Tabitha*?"

Toby

Date: 2007-05-15 11:52 EST
She was utterly soaked to the bone, wearing strange clothes... and yet it was her, no doubt about it. “How... wha... ,” Toby finally shook his head, breaking out of that shock. “C’mon, you're gonna freeze.” Finally, then, the yelp sank in, and concern flooded him. . “Ankle?”

Tabitha shook her head, her raven waves utterly soaked. “Knee. It must have twisted when I landed.” Her face was white, and not just from the pain radiating from that joint. The waters of the lake were still chill, spring was still in bloom. Plus, whatever had put her there in the first place had taken something out of her, it seemed.

“Gotta get you inside. Can you stand?” Toby tried to help her up, but all it achieved was for her to nearly take him down as that knee buckled under her. Toby knew that wasn’t happening. He paused, and Tabitha looked him oddly when he asked, “Ok. Trust me?” She nodded, though, still dazed from the experience and disoriented by the shock of the water.

Toby closed his eyes briefly, and then opened them. There was a gasp from her as she felt the air thicken and lift her, her knee absolutely immobilized by it. Toby said nothing, utter concentration as he slowly and cautiously willed her up the hillside path towards the cabin. For her part, Tabitha did not fight or thrash, on the contrary she was very still as she felt herself floating through the air. This was new!

The dogs were staring as their master came back up the hill with a dark-haired woman floating along just behind him. Then they began yapping excitedly; hey, they didn’t know much about psionics, but they knew a visitor was in their space! Toby herded them into the enclosed porch, and then with the last of his concentration, finally maneuvered poor Tabitha into the cabin, and *very* gently laid her out on the couch. She was staring in utter confusion, though her body was shivering hard, reacting to the soaking and the cool night air. He brought her a bunch of thick towels and that big old bathrobe that he never used but had never gotten rid of. “I’ll make you some tea,” he promised as he backed into the kitchen and closed the door to give her privacy.

~~~~~~~~~~

Not too long after, he was sitting with her on the couch, Tabitha wrapped up in a fuzzy bathrobe, hair only damp now, with a cup of warm tea in her hands. Toby had taken her soaked clothes outside and hung them to dry on a makeshift clothesline (enchantingly, he actually *had* one), and her, ahem, delicates were laid out in the bathroom. Once he was assured she was comfortable... the questions began. And he had a lot of them!

“Tabi...,” using his old nickname for her, “how... where'd you come from? Where've you been?”

She sipped carefully at the tea, finally starting to feel a little like herself again. “I’ve been – it’s so hard to explain. I wasn’t in Rhydin at all.” For her part, she had a far greater sense of things since her adventures in the otherlands. She perceived Toby, just as she perceived all others, but there was so much more now. What had happened to him, she wondered? She also felt the quizzical intent behind his look, and it made her shift a bit on the couch. “What is it, Toby?”

“You… you’re.. different, somehow.” His brow furrowed, trying to pin down just what seemed so different about his old friend. His senses picked up the changes that her adventures had had on her, the same as would happen with anyone who’d gone through such a wild time. But there was a lot more there, and only someone sensitive to such things could see it. Someone like him. Impulsively, he reached out and touched the side of her temple, and in that moment there was a spark of realization. She had the Gift as well, he felt it. And there was more… far more.

Toby looked long and serious at her, this sweet girl from another world who was seemingly the same friend he’d known, of which he was quietly trying to reassure himself. “I think…perhaps, we have a lot to talk about, huh?”

Toby

Date: 2007-05-15 16:30 EST
Toby rose from the couch, stretching briefly. “First... let me let my little ones in, so they can meet you. I'll keep 'em from bumping that knee.” Tabitha was stretched out on the couch for now, and he knew the last thing she needed was two overexcited dogs landing on her.

“I heard dogs, or was I dreaming?” she inquired.

“We have a *lot* to talk about,” Toby chuckled as he was off to the back door. A moment later, two black blurs came racing in, yelping and nosing at Tabitha. Toby just barely got there in time to keep them away from her injured knee. Tabitha, though, was laughing at the wild greeting, trying her level best to give each dog equal attention. She gave him a questioning look, since she definitely didn’t remember them from when she’d last seen him.

Toby finally got them under control, revealing two very excited Black Lab pups, about five months old now, tongues lolling. “The one with the blue collar is Duke... the red collar is Duchess.” They were indistinguishable otherwise, unless one wanted to check the undercarriage, as it were. “They're siblings. I got them at the turn of the year.”

For their part, Duke and Duchess wanted nothing more than to lick her face clear off, but settled for whining and nosing her hands as she petted them. It took a little while, but he finally got them settled down. Not before Duke tried to climb up onto the arm of the couch, and onto Tabitha's shoulders, of course. Tabitha still did her best to soothe and pet the black bundles, giggling at Duke’s best cat impression. Finally, with one last lick each, and a brief tussle with each other where they chomped on each other's collars and tugged, Toby got them to lay down. They sprawled out in front of the hearth (the fire was going, with it being a bit of a cool week), and gave Tabitha eager eyes.

Toby blew out a breath. “God, where do I start asking... um... how are you, first of all? You look so.., “ trying to find the word, “wild..”, with a grin on his face.

“I've been living a little wilder, I guess. I don't know where to start either - except that, I'm glad I fell in your lake.” Tabitha began, trying in her own fashion to find a way to explain it all.

Toby went off on a little tangent, to take the pressure off a little. “Last time I saw you, you were working for Des, and were seeing this older guy? Then you just sort of.. vanished. I thought maybe you eloped.” He chuckled a little, but was paused by the brief sadness that touched her eyes.

“Well - I'll have to apologize to Des for disappearing.” She looked up at him. “Perrin and I.. we got swept off in a nexus storm, and landed in a completely different world, one in a terrible conflict.” From that opening, Tabitha went on with her story.. and an incredible story it was, of tyrants and lost magics, dragons and dark warriors, and a brave people trying to survive in the shadow of total loss. As she spoke, Toby realized then what it was that looked different. Tabitha looked older.. but not unpleasantly. It was as if she had lived almost a lifetime of experiences, in just six months time. She was... a new woman, really.

Toby listened to her tale with mounting awe. He'd gone through a LOT in his years. But Tabitha had lived through an adventure beyond anything he'd ever known. When she described her travels alone with the dark knight, he felt a silly surge of ... what was that? Latent protectiveness? Jealousy? Silly man. When he spoke at last, Toby sounded not surprised so much as honestly impressed. “You're a bona fide hero, Tabi...”

She only shrugged a little, gazing into her tea. “I just did what I had to, is all.”

“No, “ Toby corrected gently, “You did was was right. You could have left.”

Tabitha shook her head again, more firmly. “No - I couldn't have just left them.”

“And that's why you're a hero. You did the right thing, not the easy thing.”

Tabitha looked at him with a little surprise. She really had no answer to that.

Toby

Date: 2007-05-18 13:27 EST
There was a bit of silence, tea being sipped on both sides, before Toby finally brought up the question that had been bugging him. “What about your beau? Perrin? What happened to him?” He noted the sadness on her face, and began to wonder exactly what happened.

“ He was a hero too - especially after the magic was restored to the land, like a huge rush - I've never felt anything like it. He stayed.. to help guide the magic back - help fix what was broken. The huge surge of power – it.. “ Tabitha fidgeted with her teacup, “It was too much for my - gifts.”

She looked at him, a funny smile on her face. “There was no one to teach me, what I need to know, now.”

“Tabi... don't take this the wrong way, “ Toby said slowly, ”What are you..?”

A pause. “Remember when we met, and you asked how I knew you were good? It turns out - it's not just instinct, but - it's up here.” Tabitha grazed her head with her fingers. “I feel things, subtle changes, and - all that raw power, it overloaded me. I couldn't see - everything was like.. colored lights exploding in my eyes.” She concluded with a hesitant expression, wondering if he would understand.

Toby understood all right, more than she could imagine. He set his teacup down, turning to face her. “Tabi... you trust me.” It wasn’t a question. “Will you let me in?”

Tabitha blinked. “Of course - I trust you, Toby. But .. how?”

So, he showed her.

When it was all over, Toby came away rather shaken, though he didn’t let her see it. In his brief foray into the outer fringes of her mind, he had perceived more than he had believed possible. Within lurked an incredible amount of potential, psionic potential. Not the same as him, he realized, but though her gifts might be different, they were formidable. Or rather, they would be. He’d need time to assimilate all the impressions, though. Certainly he’d need to sleep on it, before he could make more sense of all this.

Long after she’d fallen asleep, Toby sat on his chair downstairs, a drink in hand and eyes on the fireplace. Nothing happened by chance, he knew. So what exactly was happening here?

Toby

Date: 2007-05-18 13:58 EST
The next day dawned clear and bright, and as surreal as the events of the night before had been, things seemed much less complicated now. Just two old friends, reunited by one of those strange little accidents that the Nexus is notorious for.

On the surface, then..

~~~~~~~

Toby had slept on the couch, leaving his guest to the loft. He got up around his usual time, and both his ears and other senses told him she was still sleeping. Not surprising, he thought. Between the physical strain of her method of arrival, and all that she'd been through, she was badly in need of rest. He let the dogs out to run around, and started working on making breakfast while they tore around in the grass west of the cabin, barking and brawling happily.

The time he'd spent thinking had helped him come to understand what he'd sensed in her mind when she opened it up to him. With his own recent motivation to master his understanding, Toby was an order of magnitude better experienced with the subtleties behind the gifts of the mind now. He'd taken Kairee's lessons to heart, and as she'd no doubt intended, he was constantly refining that understanding. It was a lifetime's pursuit, he knew, but every new reflection brought a greater layer of mastery.

Tabitha, now..

The echo he felt from her was strongly familiar, enough that Toby knew without hesitation that she had gifts akin to his own. There was no perception of magic about her, just the distinctive sensations of the mind. But it was also quite different. Kairee had briefly let him understand what he had been like in his early days of awakening, the tumultous release of effect that had caused so much damage. Tabitha didn't radiate anything like that, and from what she'd said, the gifts she possessed had awoken quietly. What, then?

She was empathic. He hadn't known the words for it back then, but he should have probably recognized the effect. How many times, after all, had Tabi told him that she just had a sense for people? A sense that turned out to be eerily accurate, too. Now he knew it for what it was, and what struck him was how strong it was in her. Fledgling or not, Tabitha held considerable potential as an empath.

There were hints of other things. Toby felt only little glimmers of the power he had most strongly; mind over matter. It might develop, but he already knew with fair certainty that she wouldn't have it to the degree he did. And for her sake, he was thankful. She didn't need that kind of painful chaos. Likewise with telepathy; he felt little glimmers of that too, but it was very much primordial. It might also develop, enough to be able to communicate, but it didn't feel like she would become a powerful telepath.

Of course, he reflected, he could be wrong. But the strength of those two things paled in his othersight compared to the ocean's worth of empathic potential that he perceived in her. There were other flickers too, but too faint yet to be recognizable.

It posed a great danger still, though. Tabitha was still very much beginning to blossom in terms of her gifts. Right now she just felt it as a 'feeling in her heart', as she'd described it, but left unchecked the poor young woman would soon be deluged and overwhelmed by the raw force of the emotions around her. Even now, she'd admitted, she was feeling the beginnings of it. Ever since the last day of her adventure in those other lands - how had she described it?

"All that raw power, it overloaded me. I couldn't see - everything was like.. colored lights exploding in my eyes."

He knew that feeling. All too well.

A faint stir touched his senses, and automatically he looked at the ceiling. Tabitha was waking up.

Toby

Date: 2007-05-18 14:24 EST
Toby brought the tray up to her, right around the time that Tabitha was feeling both the growl in her stomach from the delicious smells wafting up from downstairs, and the frustration of not being able to get to them. Her face broke out into a broad smile at the sight of the tray, and she dug in with great relish. Though, she had the strangest question for him as she did so.

"There's no mushrooms in there, right? I don't ever want to see another shroom again.."

And she said it so emphatically that Toby just had to laugh. "I sense there's a story there."

"Well - the people we were helping lived in a valley, and their staple was mushrooms. Every day, mushrooms." Tabitha made such a face that Toby fought not to start laughing again.

The discussion wandered from edible fungi to the state of her knee. Toby had offered to let her stay at the cabin until she was walking better, and she'd gratefully accepted. Neither of them were overly keen on the idea of her being half immobile around the Inn, with all the fun folk one met there on a daily basis.

"...and I don't know if I'll be going back to work. It's - I don't think I'm up to it." Tabitha had a funny little smile on her face. Toby wondered why.

"I'm sure Des would hire you back. If not, I'll have a few words with her." he said with a joking smile. But Tabitha was already shaking her head.

"It's not that, Toby. It's something.. I've changed, in here." She touched her forehead, and he nodded in agreement.

Toby went quiet, then looked at her:: I saw." He leaned forward with a little grin, elbows on knees. "So how long have you been gifted?

She sipped at her coffee, wrapping her hands around the warm mug, a little grin back at him. "I guess all along. Coming here in the first place triggered the abilities, and being gone - made them grow. Perrin and I found that they're empathic. I can't sense much in thoughts, but emotions - I can feel them, and I can sense intent from others. Perrin tried to help me with them as best as he could, given his talents are in magic, and not mind powers."

Toby rose and walked to the window, looking out at it before speaking. “Tabi, it's important you find a teacher and soon. I don't want to sound alarmist, but I can tell you with no uncertainty that it's not something you can afford to leave go. There's really only two folk I know that are qualified and trustworthy to do it... and honestly I'm not sure I'd send you to either.”

He turned around, leaning his hip on the edge of the dresser. “Kairee is my teacher.. but she is very selective about things like this, plus she has a lot going on. And Kitty is also strong in the mind arts, but she's apparently pretty sick and in a bad way.”

She looked up at him. "Well, what about you?"

And Toby blinked.

Toby

Date: 2007-05-18 14:48 EST
Toby looked stunned. Me? Teach her?

"Oh, Tabi.. I'm hardly qualified..," he began. But she was having none of it, her expression was both gentle and completely sure.

"Yes you are. I felt it, remember? You said yourself, there's no one else to teach me, and you're right - I need to learn what to do with these gifts, how to harness and control them so I don't overload."

She was right, of course. But he knew there was more to it. "Your mind is a fantastically delicate and fragile thing, Tabi.. If I mess up... it could be horrible. And I've done some pretty terrible things lately, when it comes to other people's minds. You should know the whole story before you ask me something like this."

Tabitha nodded, then she raised an eyebrow at him. If he wanted to tell her, then she was ready. And so he did. The entire story, which only a few people really knew, spilled out of him without editing or glossing over. The entire ugly thing, from beginning to end. By the time he was done, he felt both relieved to have finally gotten it off his chest, and not a little ashamed and disgusted from reliving those things. He looked up at Tabitha, half expected to see her looking at him in horror, or at least the unease he'd seen in others who knew the tale. But he saw only sympathy, and understanding. He concluded, saying, "I'm not the same guy I was when we last talked, either. And that's the guy who'd be in your head. All of what you heard me describe."

Incredibly, she was smiling now. "It's still you, Toby - what I saw, when we met - I still see it, only clearer. You're still good, and true. That hasn't changed. Oh, you're stronger, and so powerful I can't get past your mind, but you're still Toby to me. There's no one else I want to teach me - no one else I'd let inside my head to do it."

Toby felt humbled by her trust in him, it was the only word that fit. "I accept. But first, we get you well. C'mon... I'll get you downstairs, and we'll make sure that knee is taken care of."

Toby

Date: 2007-05-18 15:17 EST
Properly wrapping up her knee was the first order of business once they were downstairs. Toby had brought "Doc", his medical droid, over from the ship and had made sure that he was doing the thing properly - last thing Tabitha needed was for that knee to go from bad to worse.

The next thing on the schedule was a little tour of the cabin - well, as much of a tour as you could get while sitting on the couch. But, as he pointed out to her, that was the beauty of a little place like this. You never felt like you were lost in it, but rather like you were settled in snugly. He'd shown her the beautiful crystal ice rose, his favorite gift from Wyheree, and told her a little about his dear ice mage friend.

The discussion then went to her plans, but Tabitha fully admitted she didn't know what she was going to end up doing. She couldn't explain it to him yet, but she wasn't the same person who'd been contented as a secretary. She had tasted the heady wine of the explorer's life.. and wanted more.

Finally, it was time for that first lesson.

It began almost by accident, when she sighed and asked, perhaps rhetorically, "What am I, now?"

"You are Tabitha," Toby began. "You are everything you were before, the same person that I knew and still know. And you are gifted. Not ‘with powers’. Not different. Not psionic. But gifted." Toby let that first thing sink in, watching her.

"Everything looks different," she ventured.

Toby nodded. "Everything is different. Tabi, before you saw the world just through your eyes. Now, you're seeing so much more. You're feeling.. *really* feeling... the reality that we *aren't* alone. Yeah, it's easy to look around at other people and say they are there.. but now, you *feel* them. You are truly never alone anymore."

"It's scary - I'm so used to being alone. That's part of why I'm back here, alone," she admitted. "I couldn't shut out the feelings, and everything at once, it was too much."

"First of all, Tabi.. remember, you're not alone. Not anymore. Now.. that'll be the first thing I teach you - how to close it out. This is how Kairee taught me to do it, and it's the most important lesson I learned."

Toby interlaced his fingers, pausing purely for effect. " I want you to think of the Inn, Tabi. Noisy, crowded, full of drunken and rowdy people. On the busiest nights, you can't even hear yourself think. Think of its walls.. thick, strong, and sturdy." He could see her eyes flickering, knew she was doing exactly that.

"Now, imagine yourself... standing in the open doorway. You can hear all those voices, all around you? Like a maelstrom, everywhere."

He saw nod briefly, the mere act of imaging it affecting her visibly. "Now. Step back out of the doorway, onto the porch. And close the door."

Tabitha paused, and he saw a start of surprise cross her face. He smiled at her. "That's where I want you to begin. It will not be easy.. it won't happen right away. But you'll be out here with me till that knee heals, so you can take it easier in practicing. If you let everything go... just 'be'.. you'll feel me. You'll even feel the dogs, a simple sensation, but you'll still perceive them."

"That's what I want you to practice on. Controlling what you feel from us. Until you can close the door completely, and within the walls of your mind, feel only yourself again. Eventually, the door will open and close to your will."

Tabitha squeezed his hand, and he could feel the prickles of her fears hiding back there. "You think I can do it?"

"Tabi? I *know* you can. When it happened to me... I was terrified. I had no control, and I nearly tore the Inn apart. This was before you and I met. I felt like there was a whirlwind and a thunderstorm in my head, all mixed together, and I couldn't control it. If not for Kai, God only knows wha would have happened. But I learned to control it. So will you."

Toby squeezed her hand one more time. "It won't be simple. But you'll do it. 'Cause that's who you are."

Toby

Date: 2007-05-18 15:37 EST
(This post is a mixture of contributions from myself and Tabitha's player, based on a chat log.)

The following days passed, slowly, but happily. Toby had been used to being a recluse over the past few weeks, and so it was no big deal to him to continue to do so. At first, it was a little awkward for both - Toby was unused to having someone living with him, and Tabitha had to adjust to the same thing. But despite the occasional discomfiture (usually when both needed the bathroom at the same time, or after a shower), they managed to mesh their styles together without things becoming strange. He'd set her up with the guest room on the first floor, which worked out nicely considering her limited mobility.

Tabitha was slowly healing, her bruises almost gone, and her knee getting better each day. Toby was meticulous with changing the wrap twice daily, a gesture that touched her deeply. She also got used to his presence, though, the sadness and ache she felt from him confused her. He'd taken care of her in kind fashion - resisting the urge to baby her, though the urge was very much there. It's just who he was!

Their day fell into a simple routine.. they both woke up sometime around eight, and would have breakfast. Toby was not a brilliant chef or anything, but he'd taught himself the basics of cooking long ago (necessary when you've been a bachelor for as long as he had been). The hour after that would be spent usually out back on the porch deck, looking down over the hillside to the lake that had been her road to his life.

Then, they would have a few hours to 'work' together. Sometimes it was as simple as him gently having her practice rebuffing his gentle thoughts and emotions, testing her ability to block them. It was hard at first, but Toby quietly encouraged her successes and helped her through the failures.

Tabitha was still so raw, and found blocking very difficult. Toby was a kind teacher, yet firm, showing her the way over and over until she got the knack - this was the most challenging undertaking of her life, prepped by her work with the Archives, but the reality of flowing thought was much harder to control than the fixed memories.

Toby wouldnt' tell her this just yet.. but Tabitha echoed great potential. In fact, though even he didn't know it, she was almost his mirror image. While he had undiscovered potential of magnitude on the 'active' side, Tabitha's potential as an empath, a perceptor, and yes, even a healer of the mind, was greater than anyone knew. For now, though, he was only intent on helping her through the very rough, and rocky, opening stages of dealing

He guided her gently, not fully linking his mind to hers, helping her shield on her own, something she'd nevr had to do before, but if she was going to go back to the Inn, she'd have to, for her own sanity. And he was admittedly a little uneasy about linking their minds again, after the surprisingly powerful mutual reaction they had encountered. He'd never felt anything quite like it before... and it had been both unsettling and intense in a very good way.

After that morning session, they would have lunch together, and relax for another hour. Just talking, or he would play the piano for her, or tell her stories. She was not yet quite up for the tour of the land, so to speak, but that was a promise for later. Then there would be another 'lesson' in the afternoon, usually an hour or two. It wore her out, to her surprise; though she understood why after her experiences with Perrin and the Archives. Tabitha was learning, from him as well as from Toby now, that it was her personal strength of will that determined her power and her skill with it, and it took a lot of effort to bolster her will in that way. It was a testament, he had told her, to Tabitha's strength of will in the first place that she could *do* these things.

After the afternoon lessons, Tabitha usually nodded off for a little while, to recharge herself. Sleep, Toby said, was the best way to regain strength. For himself, Toby also had other duties to tend to - namely a cabin and some dogs who wanetd attention), and the evening was all ease time. Toby had a holovid screen built into a clever little wooden wall panel, hiding it to preserve the rustic look of the place. And he did have quite a stock of video entertainment, both Terran familiarities to her, and some alien works she'd never ever seen before.

Though it was a rustic little cabin in the woods, Tabitha was happy to find Toby had cleverly built in enough in the way of modern conveniences. Including hot showers whenever she wanted them, or a bath (the bathroom was one thing he'd *not* skimped on.).

In their talks, he'd also listened keenly to her tales of her adventures, from the last time he had seen her, through her travels with Simon (and she in turn felt a little twinge of jealousy as well when that name came up), the great adventure she'd found herself in, and everything she'd gone through there.

Slowly day by day, Tabitha's knee felt better. She was still using the crutches to be safe, but it was getting easier to move around. And she still got a hidden chuckle out of the way he'd try to tend to her knee without looking at her legs. And failing.

For her part, Tabitha had loved Perrin, and was very hurt she had to leave him. But - his path lay elsewhere, and she had to go back to RhyDin or be very sick herself. She knew Simon had loved her back, but it was almost a pure, idyllic love, like something out of a classical epic poem. She was, indeed, on a pedestal.. and he could not bear to imagine her honour lost to the baseness of passion.

All in all, a very comfortable and pleasant routine they'd forged in the weeks since her arrival. But as with all things, change was inevitable. And change would come, in a way neither had foreseen.

Toby

Date: 2007-05-23 13:39 EST
Did I have a dream?
Or did the dream have me?
- Neil Peart

Toby slept. From without, he seemed as peaceful as one could get. Inside, though..

It might as well be just another day or night, if it weren't for the bizarre silver sky outside. Toby sat at the edge of his bunk, staring at the door. His tone was not so much hostile as it was blunt, accusing. "Why are you here?"

Tabitha stood there, standing in the doorway easily as if her knee had just quit bothering her entirely. She took no offense at his tone, and answered him simply. "Something was calling me, so I came up."

Toby shook his head. "It's dangerous. I'll hurt you." A pause. "I hurt everyone. Just takes a little time." The sky started to darken in response, flushing a slow and ominous red.

He paused again, and added, "I don't always mean to."

It was a fact, and it seemed completely easy to understand. But Tabitha was being willful and he didn't understand why. This was his dream. Why was she disagreeing so much?

"You're not like that. Not to me."

Frustration. "You don't understand. I can't lie here. Or is that why you're here?"

A gentle smile was all Tabitha gave back.

"You know how strong I am. I hide things, but I know you see past the veil. I could make you come to me, and give yourself to me like it was nothing. I could make you think you loved me, so that you'd do anything for me. Aren't you afraid of that?" Everyone else is, they just won't admit it. I see it when I talk to them."

He could never talk like this to the real Tabitha. But here, in the dream, it was okay to be honest. To say all things - why not? What would it matter?

She sat next to him, no trace of her limp, hand on his shoulder. "Is that so wrong, to fall in love? I learned something while I was gone - you can't let fear paralyze you. It can help you, but you can't be ruled by it."

Toby looked up. The sky was a lighter blue now, as if changing with his mood. "It never happens this fast. It'll burn hot, fast, and then..., "he slumped, "And then you'll go. They always do. Sometimes it happens sooner, sometimes it's later, sometimes it's to someone else."

Her black eyes narrowed slightly at his words, and Toby kept going. These were not words he'd ever spoken to anyone. Not even those dearest to him. "I'm doomed, Tabitha. I've been married once, left at the altar another time, and everyone who I've ever let in... they've left. I'm afraid.."

The sky flushed darker silver, clouds blooming and swirling in the expanding darkness. "If I even consider looking at you that way, you'll leave too. I feel like if I keep you as only my friend... you'll be around, and I won't be alone."

It was kind of an amusing irony, someone who willingly spent so much time by himself, afraid of being alone, wasn't it?

The dream-image of her sat primly, folding her hands. "What promise could I make, so you'd believe me?"

The sky flushed almost red. "It's not going to be a fairy tale, Tabi. I'm a screwed up person. I get dark, I get angry, I get mean. I'll hurt you, even if I don't mean to. " This was a warning, coming from the deepest part of his heart. A need for her to know what was part of him. "I get petty, I get jealous... and .."

Tabitha's dream-form never said a word. She just hugged him.

Toby finally broke down. The sobs wracked him, deep and painful. Every loss he'd ever known, going back more than ten years, everything that had been good and bad about love and desire... loves lost, never known, or rejected... and the terrible irony of a man so used to solitude and being alone, finally admitting that the ONE thing he feared the most.... was to be alone.

It was perhaps his lowest moment, ever. A tango with utter despair. Until Tabitha appeared out of nowhere, and cut in.

~~

When morning dawned, he still lay there in the hazy nothingness that comes when a dream ends, but sleep remains. And behind him, arms surrounding him in what comfort they could give, lay Tabitha, bandaged knee and all.

Toby

Date: 2007-06-19 13:16 EST
The weeks passed, and the change wrought in Toby was incredible to see for those that knew him. He was smiling more... far more. And for the first time in what seemed like forever, he was playing the piano again. A lot.

Impulsively or not, Tabitha had moved in with him. In the beginning it was for her own protection - she had been ill-equipped to deal with the flood of thoughts and emotions that would inevitably hammer her when she set foot in the public lands around the Inn. In the last days of her journey with Simon, she had begun to endure tremendous waves of feelings from those around her, and she'd only just gotten away in time before it was too much. Toby's instruction was helping her learn the control necessary to shut those waves out... exactly as Kairee had taught him the same control when he'd first come into his own gifts. But it was a long, painful process.

The isolation of the cabin had been to her benefit, in that respect. But it had worked to another end as well. As they spent all that time alone together, the two had rediscovered their friendship, interrupted when she and Simon had been thrown abruptly to that other dimension. That friendship had bloomed now in her self-enforced exile (as he'd jokingly described it, remembering his own recent such period), and they'd found or renewed more interests than they'd known they had.

Was it so surprising, then, that it bloomed into something more?

Toby

Date: 2007-06-19 13:29 EST
If there was any greater obstacle in the path of the fledgling relationship, it was Toby's own history. By his own admission, he had never been afraid to delve into such things. And for someone who described himself as "more suited to the technical game than the dating game", he'd had a pretty good string of successes over the years. Not that he'd speak about them - one rule in Toby's book always had been and always would be, a gentleman does not tell. And he didn't.

But every one of those relationships had had their highs and lows - and usually strong on each end of the scale. At the conclusion of recent events, Toby had told himself with some deliberation, that he was done trying. He just couldn't face the long road of building something with someone.. only to have it implode from within, explode from without, or just plain die.

As usual in Rhydin, such a decision lasted about as long as it took for fate to swing the pendulum again. And swing it did! A beautiful swing, and one that ended up dropping Tabitha straight into his life (and the lake).

Where it was so very different, though.. was this. Unlike every other relationship he'd ever had... they'd begun as friends. Toby and Tabitha had been friends for months and months, ever since her appearance the year before in Rhydin. There had been no romantic pressure (since he had been involved at the time, and she had been coping with the massive disconnect inherent in finding yourself in a new world), so their friendship had been unaffected by tensions. It had been sweet, simple, genuine.

Still and all, he knew, there was too much pressure within himself. He was afraid to even touch her, lest things go out of control and collapse. And without realizing it, he was beginning to sabotage it on those grounds. Paralysis by analysis, perhaps. And though the desire was there.. it would have died young if he'd let himself continue with those thoughts.

It was Tabitha, herself, who broke the cycle finally.

Toby

Date: 2014-08-12 16:01 EST
OOC:

This post is to bring the Acts into chronological order, with the addition of Act III.