Topic: Act VI: December 2011 - April 2013

Toby

Date: 2011-12-03 17:53 EST
The intermission has been long, and much has happened behind the curtains. But the story goes on, in its twelfth year, and once again, the stage lights are coming up.

Married now for almost four years, the St. Germains (Tabitha and Toby, who upon getting married took her last name; he still gets mail to "John Michael Emerson" now and then, though.) now have two little ones of their own and a third on the way, as well as their three dogs Duke, Duchess and Hershey.

The cabin has become a genuinely happy place, full of laughter and song, and of course, the sounds of the piano.

But there's always something new to be discovered, and this Act will be no exception.

Let the tale resume.

Toby

Date: 2011-12-13 00:13 EST
Winter in the northern regions of Rhydin is serious business. Once you cross into the woodlands that lay at the feet of the northern mountains, you can pretty much count on snow before the feast of Thanksgiving, all the way through to the fourth month in of the year.

For someone who'd grown up on the streets of Star's End Spaceport, Toby had a surprising affinity for snow. Back then, he'd liked it because it hid the dirt and darkness of the port alleys, and it gave a little softness to an otherwise harsh existence. It was cold as hell too, but there were plenty of places to get warm around the 'port if you knew where to look.

Once he'd gotten a little older and somewhat calmer, Toby started to realize how much he appreciated winter for other reasons. Tabitha had asked him about it once as they stood in the winter chill, on the porch of their cabin. He'd thought about it for a few, before answering her.

"It changes the whole world, winter does. No other season can do it like snowfall does... it hides everything, turns it into this brilliant white cushion. Everything goes this wild kind of silent... you can *hear* the silence, somehow, like it's a living thing. And the air bites when you breathe it in. It lets you know you're alive. It speaks to you."

Tabitha smiled indulgently at her husband, though she couldn't hide a roll of her eyes. She herself was a child of Earth, of the Midwest, and she'd grown up with plenty of snow. The way he talked about it, you'd think he'd never seen it before. Then again, Toby could be a little overly poetic sometimes.

"Toby, honey? Right now it's telling me to shut the door and go get something warm to drink." She gave his arm a tug and he finally turned away from the soft white blanket laying over the clearing.

"I think you lost something in translation," he groused good-naturedly as she shut the door behind them.

"Mm. That so?" Tabitha shot over her shoulder. "Maybe you want to sleep on the porch in your brilliant white cushion, huh?"

"Whoa, hey, I said I love it. I didn't say I wanted to move in with it."

Tabitha's snickering could be heard all the way into the kitchen.

Toby

Date: 2011-12-27 14:50 EST
There was, in recent years, a sort of revival if you will, a retro trend towards some of the antiquated forms of image capture. Old-school photography, and specifically, a quick-format type known as "Polaroid". Toby and Tabitha had one of these retro-chic cameras, which they found charmingly quaint to use at times.

One such Polaroid now hangs in Toby's locker in the back office of Star's End Bar. It shows an exhausted but beaming Tabitha holding a little bundle of newborn, just barely visible in all the wrappings. In the Polaroid's margins is scribbled, lovingly:

"Selene Danae St. Germain - 7lbs, 3 oz. Born 12/21/2011, at 7:32 PM."

Just at the edge of the frame, two little heads can be seen poking over the railing of the bed - one about 3 years old and raven-haired like Tabitha, the other smaller and daintier still, with blonde hair so fair it almost seems to glow.

Tabitha herself is smiling up at whoever is taking the picture, and the loving look on her face leaves little doubt as to just who that would be."

Another note is scribbled on the lower margin.

"Best. Christmas Present. EVER."

Toby

Date: 2012-02-14 21:29 EST
On the surface, it was just another evening. Little Selene was dozing away in her bassinet, and Reinette and Maurin were just being tucked into bed (it was Tabitha's turn at bedtime tonight, while Toby kept an eye on Selene who'd just eaten.) The dogs were all sprawled out in various states of repose on the cabin floor near the hearth, like a contented furry minefield.

Tabitha came downstairs, and curled up on the end of the couch, and immediately tilted her head. She could feel the looming question from him before he even said anything, and in typical Tabitha fashion, she waited for him to verbalize it before reacting.

"A week tomorrow, and Selene'll be 2 months old," he began.

Tabitha smiled and teased lightly. "Nice to see you've still got those sharp calendar-perception skills."

"Ha ha," came the droll reply back. "But you know what I'm getting at. Pretty soon we're going to have to start keeping an eye on her, just like the other two." That sobered Tabitha up somewhat, as she leaned back against the couch arm.

"Still no idea what to look for, though?"

Toby shook his head. "There might be nothing at all. But... "

"But, it's more likely that we're going to complete the hat trick," she finished for him. He blinked rather blankly at first, and a mildly exasperated Tabitha made a mental note to explain hockey to him.

Toby did get the idea in context, at least, finally nodding. "With Maurin it was easy... it wasn't very hard at all to see what was going on. Reinette... she was more subtle. But still, it was perceptible, enough to be a clear warning. But Selene..."

"You haven't had any impression yet..?"

He shook his head. "Nothing. But, it could also take years. Quite a few.." he concluded, trailing off into a disturbed frown.

Tabitha didn't have to touch him for him to feel the comforting gesture from her. "I think that was a very specific case, love. You're not going to see that happen again, the situations are totally different this time."

He didn't answer for a while, staring at the fire. When he did speak, it was a quiet mutter, that Tabitha had to strain to hear.

"I really hope so."

Toby

Date: 2012-04-30 15:35 EST
Saturday night was often the party night. The wild night. The 'let your hair down and rock out' night. But around this part of town, it was the music night.

It usually found Tabitha sprawled out on the couch, with little Seline tucked in her arms, cooing or singing softly to her - Tabitha loved to sing, after all. Maurin and Reinette could be found either playing nearby with their toys, or (depending on their mood), curled up at the foot of the couch or next to their mother, listening to (and sometimes trying to sing along with) the music.

Toby, of course, was sitting as he always did, at the piano. The music changed all the time, sometimes it was a soft and melodic lullaby (more often than not, either the older girls ignored this, or were nodding off as a result of it), or a classical piece (also sometimes ignored by the older girls, depending on mood)... or something more playful. The Beer Barrel Polka was a perennial favorite, as Maurin would frequently insist to Daddy that he "roll out da berry!"

The dogs, for their part, just lay sprawled out and occasionally would perk an ear to look at their humans, their expression that of the mildly annoyed indulgence all dogs have when you wake them up.

Occasionally he would try something on the guitar, the one left to him by a dying man's last wish. It was not Toby's preferred instrument, not the one he was intimately bound with as with the piano.. but he could still learn anything he put his mind to. And the girls seemed to like it just as well.

Maurin and Reinette had both shown some curiosity about the piano as well, which Toby had smugly announced meant they were both destined to be virtuosos. Tabitha just gave him the same indulgent look that the dogs did, when he started on that.

Toby

Date: 2012-06-04 20:46 EST
Something wasn't right.

New parents are frequently prone to jumping at shadows when it comes to the health of their child. Every fussy moment is a possible stomach ailment, every little fever could mean a trip to the hospital RIGHT NOW, every rash a crisis. Once the child is older, and especially after the second (or more) child comes along, experience and wisdom has taken the edge off of these moments.

But sometimes, something's just not right. And despite your best efforts, little things become bigger. And before you know it... you start to realize.

It's not that something isn't right.

But something is very wrong.

Toby

Date: 2012-06-08 10:04 EST
"How long has she been doing this?"

"We first noticed it last week. She's been kind of off for a while now, but that's because she had that fever. But that broke last weekend, and ever since then she's.. well, you see for yourself."

"Exactly this way?"

"Yes.. she seems like she's in another world. Doesn't answer or respond to her name, to touch, to hot or cold.. nothing."

"Does she eat?"

".... sort of. She doesn't react to the bottle, sometimes it'll sit there if one of us holds it for an hour. But eventually, as if she expects it to have been there, she'll eat."

"I see. First, let me assure you, there are a number of possibilities for what might be happening, but I am completely confident that we can handle it. Just give me some time to run a full examination on her, and I promise you we'll get this turned around."

"I'd like to wait here, if it's allowed." A pause. "We both would."

"I'm sorry, but I really can't permit it. I know you're upset... but I can do this much faster and more efficiently alone. Please.. wait out in the lobby?"

"..... "

"Of course, Doctor. It's just... this is a little scary, you understand..."

"I do, believe me. I'll have someone give you regular updates as soon as I know anything."

"......"

"Thanks, Doctor. Come on, honey.. let's let her do her job."

Toby

Date: 2012-06-29 09:12 EST
It was a pretty idyllic scene, as far as the Red Dragon Inn went. A decent crowd of people enjoying food and drink, Sissy (one of the new tenders that Toby was training) was handing out mood rings, while Ileen (the other new barkeep) was trading wisecracks with a pirate captain. Kai (always a sweetheart) was holding a new magic 8-ball in both hands and staring at it as if demanding answers to silent questions. Toby himself was sitting at the piano, munching on a sandwich and watching things unfold as they always did, when his pocket 'comm buzzed.

He took it out and saw the name on the front, and flipped the cover open with a smile. "Hey babe, what's up?"

The voice from the other end couldn't be perceived, but the effect of their words could be. The expression froze on his face, the smile slowly disintegrating, replaced by a very different one.

He swallowed hard, his voice suddenly reduced to a rasp. "I'll be right home."

Dimly he could recall saying something to Sissy at the bar about being very sorry and having to leave. It all seemed very far away, like a scene from someone else's life. He turned away from the piano, away from the bar, and with a flicker of will his fedora was pulled from the coathook, impelled into his hand. So rare it was that he chose to display what he could do in public - it wasn't part of the facade he chose to show. Rarer still was what happened next.

Another, more fundamental imposition of will, and reality shaped itself around him to his more immediate desire. The Inn went away... reality spun itself like a lazy Susan... and the familiar outlines of the cabin, and Tabitha's terrified countenance, became his new reality.

Toby left behind him only faint traces of emotional outrage... a faint aura of 'very, very bad things'. And for those keen enough to see, a rippling through the fabric of 'what is', thrown off from his depature like the wake of a vanished speedboat.

Tabitha St Germain

Date: 2012-07-09 21:44 EST
The Call

Bedtime was a quiet time, a soothing time, with stories of gallant princes and heroic princesses, soft lullabies on the player, and sweet kisses of dimples cheeks as Tabitha tucked in each little girl - Maurin first, then Reinette, then baby Selene, who was finally more herself after spiking a fever a week or so prior.

The sight that met her eyes when they lit upon Selene's crib, however, made Tabitha's heart stutter - for her littlest angel was... fuzzy.

Literally fuzzy, as if being viewed by someone with severe myopia.

The rest of the room stood in stark hyper-focus as the near 7-month-old infant continued to blur, golden hair nearly indistinguishable from soft yellow sheets, polka dotted sleeper blending into striped blankets.

Until Selene sneezed, and stirred, and snapped back into focus once more.

With a racing heart and shallow breath, Tabitha fumbled for the comm she kept in her pocket, bought for her just in case something happened that required Toby's immediate attention. For the first time, she pressed the button that would ring her husband's comm, tears pricking in her eyes from fear and shock, tears that again rendered baby Selene blurry.

Toby

Date: 2012-07-10 12:10 EST
Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world. - Archimedes

To Toby, it always seemed when he did this that the entire world was whirling around him, the universe spiralling around that one center point that he occupied. It was a heady feeling, almost hubris, to perceive oneself that way. To others, it was as if he had 'vanished' sideways, leaving only a distorted blur or afterimage as reality passed through another space.

When he arrived in the cabin, it was a perfect reversal. One moment the center of the main room was empty, and then there was a strange distortion, as he seemed to 'jump' into place from somewhere else. It left the room around him 'ringing' with a soundless vibration, felt only deep in the spine. It left the dogs whining uneasily as they felt it, and they fled for the imagined safety of the enclosed back porch.

Toby hardly perceived it at all himself, it was just 'part of things', and unlike the dogs he knew what it was. But other things were far more keen to him - Tabitha's distress sang out to him like a heartrending cry in the night. So attuned was he to his wife, that this close it was like her terror was his own.

He could also feel Maurin and Reinette, their confusion and distress as they tried uncomprehendingly to comfort their upset mother, and their even greater curiosity and confusion at something else...

Little Selene. By the time he got there, it would seem all was well. She lay there, still sleeping with that angelic peace that only children possess. On the surface, then...

Even as he looked at her, Toby saw strange afterimages, like he was seeing an echo of what Tabitha had seen. Just the faintest ghostly transparency, already in the past, but not vanished from sight. It filled his heart with a keen dread, even as he walked blindly towards the crib where Tabitha still stood, shaking.

No one said anything for a while. Even the two older children just stared in confusion at their little sister. Then..

"She ...started to disappear. Like she was becoming a ghost. Then.. then she sneezed and she was fine. Like nothing happened." Tabitha's voice wavered, and she clutched the crib as if to reassure herself that it, too, was still real.

There was no question of whether he believed her fantastic story or not. They were all too familiar with the fantasy that was 'normal life' here. The only questions that mattered were... what happened to their little girl? And moreover... would it happen again?

Toby

Date: 2012-07-19 08:35 EST
Weeks had passed, and thus far the terrifying incident with little Selene had not repeated itself. Tabitha hardly left the cabin, she'd taken a leave of absence from the little bookstore where she worked on the outskirts of the spaceport. Toby himself rarely went out either, and when he did, he had one of his spherical 'bots providing a near-constant holographic view of Selene's crib - additional sensors monitoring her heartbeat, her temperature, everything.

And still it was not enough to soothe the fear, the paranoia. There was no denying what Tabitha had seen, and it had been a simple matter for Toby to 'see' it through her memory as well. But if he had hoped that viewing the incident through Tabitha's eyes would help give him some great flash of insight, well, he was sorely mistaken.

His mentor was nowhere to be found (which was normal for her, it would be like trying to pin down the north wind), and she was the one person he felt he could have really asked for answers. There were others with the gift, but none he trusted in a matter like this. It left Toby feeling powerless, and that was a feeling he did NOT like.

Up until now, all of their combined efforts had been passive. Observation, meditation, theorizing. It wasn't enough, that much was now clear. They could just wait for it to happen again, but this time the little girl might not stabilize. She might just vanish.

That was not acceptable. It was time to take action.

Tabitha St Germain

Date: 2012-07-28 22:35 EST
The weeks since Selene's near-fadeout had taken their toll on Tabitha. True to her mama-bear self, she swore to not let Selene out of her sight. The days were relatively normal - with all the girls taking their nap in MamaPapa room (so named by Maurin) while Tabitha kept watch.

The nights, however, were a different matter. Though the routine was the same, the stories and songs were rushed, so she could get back to Selene faster. Tabitha dreaded even leaving her alone for that short time, for fear she would reach the nursery, and her angel would be gone. She'd moved a coffeepot upstairs, and the minute the older girls were asleep, Tabitha's vigil began.

But even the strongest coffee cannot counteract the body's need for sleep. Dark circles marred her peachy complexion. Her temper grew short, and her words sharp with irritation. Yet still she refused to sleep - for if she did, she was convinced her angel would vanish. Her head pounded from all the caffeine, her vision began to blur, she even started sniping at Toby - and even his intervention failed to send his wife to the sleep she so desperately needed.

Finally, her body took over, even through a 2-pot coffee haze, and Tabitha's eyes fluttered closed even as she clung to the side of the crib, desperate to stay upright. She was asleep before she hit the floor, the dull thud bringing Maurin from her bed - who simply covered her Mama with her beloved blankie, before toddling back to her own bed.

Wyheree

Date: 2012-08-17 22:57 EST
The thud also brought Auntie Wyh to Tabitha's side. The Ice Mage had been staying at the Cabin at Toby's request, to keep an eye on the edgy, bordering-on-paranoid Tabitha - which had the added benefit of allowing Wyh to spend time with her beloved Goddaughters. Reinette especially was easily entertained by Wyh's ice crystals - her favorite being when Wyh would tickle the toddler's cheeks with snowflakes, making her giggle.

Carefully, Wyh lifted Tabitha, staggering a bit as she carefully carried her to the large, overstuffed recliner Toby put in the nursery for nighttime feedings. With a tender air, she rearranged Maurin's blankie over Tabitha, brushing the unruly waves from her face, murmuring softly. "Sleep now, dear friend - I will watch over Selene."

And watch she did, settling into a rather uncomfortable chair Tabitha had dragged into the nursery for the sole purpose of staying awake while Selene slept. And while watching over the baby, a sad sort of wistfulness filled Wyheree's eyes - and a growing resolve seized her heart.

Toby

Date: 2012-08-27 20:02 EST
The cabin had always been a peaceful place. Secluded in the hundreds of acres of woodland, that had been Toby specific intent when he'd purchased the land and built the place years before. It had always been meant as a place of tranquility, of serenity. A sanctuary.

Now, though, the bizarre malady that had seized their youngest child had seemingly infected the very place itself. Everyone was intensely on edge, there was a lack of happiness and joy in the very air. To their credit, the pair had tried hard to shield the other two girls from it, but that only went so far. They both knew something was wrong with their little sister, and with their parents. Even the regular appearances of their beloved Aunt Wyheree could not purge the strange and scary feeling that permeated the place.

Toby had not been idle, though. Relentlessly he sought answers, from any doctor he believed he could trust - from their family doctor Tarja, to a geneticist recommended by his co-worker Helix, and a few others. It was difficult, trust was not something he allowed very easily. Some suggestions, though well-meaning, were rejected out of hand due to his inability to trust the individuals involved.

But now desperation was starting to set in. As he watched Maurin and Reinette (under both his and Wyheree's careful eyes) playing with the black and Blue winged kittens (gifts again from Helix, though their names were still being bandied about by the girls), Toby made his decision.

He turned to Wyheree, his voice breaking the silence he'd been under for hours.

"Wyh. I need to ask you a favour" At his tone, the blonde mage turned in slight surprise to her friend.

"I need to speak to Xenograg. Would you be able to arrange it for me?"

Wyheree

Date: 2012-08-28 22:44 EST
The tension in the cabin was affecting even the Ice Mage herself - faint grey smudges marred her fair complexion, revealing just how tired she was, keeping watch over both Selene and Tabitha. She had been drifting off a bit when Toby's voice snapped her back to reality, his tone making her brow furrow in concern - until the rather unusual request made her brows go up.

"Of course, Toby - I will contact him right now, and make the arrangements."

Staggering a bit, for sitting so long had made her legs cramp, she wandered outside, breathing in the crisp air that marked the close of Summer, and the gradual onset of Fall. With a hint of shaky fingers, she reached into the bodice of her gown, and drew out the two pendants she wore constantly. The heavy grey-metal symbol of Roran's clan on its matching chain was caressed lovingly as it caught the rays of the setting sun. The second pendant was a thin golden trianglar amulet, suspended from a golden chain so fine, it only gleamed at intervals, when the sun hit it just so. Closing her eyes, she gently touched three fingers to the surface of the amulet, letting her thoughts reach out across the miles.

Xenograg - please come and meet with my dear friend Toby as soon as you are able, about a most urgent, yet most delicate matter. It is very rare for him to ask for help like this, and I grow worried for him, and for his family.

After a brief moment of silence, a familiar voice echoed in her mind.

Wyheree, I will come to RhyDin at once. Where would Toby prefer to meet?

Someplace in the public eye - are you familiar with the Star's End Bar? He works there at times.

Yes, I know the place, if not well. Please tell him, I will meet him there at his earliest convenience.

I will - thank you, Xenograg.

You are welcome. And do not worry.

The link faded as Wyheree released the amulet. With a deep breath, she walked to the porch, where Toby stood waiting. "He is on his way, and will meet you at Star's End - I thought that better than the cabin."

Xenograg

Date: 2012-08-31 00:02 EST
None of the half dozen individuals in the Star's End Bar give more than a casual visual inspection to Xenograg as he enters. While sorcery has conveyed him the many miles from Rhydin City, Xenograg's appearance is crafted to blend into this environment. His clothing is contemporary with only two exotic accents: a navy blue cape instead of a jacket and a large revolver pistol in a cross-hip holster.

Xenograg makes no effort to conceal either his aristocratic or soldierly bearing.

Wyheree and Toby are not in the room. Surmising he has arrived first, Xenograg sits at an empty table near the door to wait.

Toby

Date: 2012-09-05 11:18 EST
The bar was lightly populated that night, and before very long, the few dedicated drinkers (longshoremen and the like) present began to filter out. The remaining man did not have to wait very long, however.

Shortly before the wall chrono read ten, a vortex of ice crystals swirled into being behind the bar. The mist dissipated quickly to reveal the form of the ice mage, Wyheree, who joined her friend and teacher with a warm smile.

"Good evening, Xenograg - thank you for coming." Wyheree descended gracefully into a seat at Xenograg's table.

"Wyheree." He greeted her with a smile in return. "I suppose we have an unfair advantage in traveling here quickly."

But as before, they did not have long to wait. A few moments later, the doors from the back office opened up, and in walked Toby. His usually friendly countenance was showing the strain of the past few weeks, and his eyes clearly had not known sleep in some time. Their normally light blue was a shade darker now. Still, Toby managed a polite greeting and smile to the pair.

"Thank you for coming, I appreciate it." He could see the worry in Wyheree's eyes, and knew how worn he must look. But there was nothing for it - and perhaps this meeting would be the key step towards ending that long nightmare. He cleared his throat. "Can I offer either of you a drink?"

"Cold water, please," replied the older man.

"Some wine would be nice, Toby - thank you kindly," answered Wyheree.

With the drinks in hand (and an ice water of his own), Toby joined them at the table.

~~~~
(All material attributed to Xenograg, Emerson and Wyheree and their respective authors.)

Toby

Date: 2012-09-05 11:45 EST
Toby regarded the older man as he sat. They had met but once before, in the Red Dragon Inn several months prior. A chance meeting, that one, but fortune has its quirks. Especially in Rhydin.

Though he had grown up in the spaceport, and spent a good portion of his recent adult life in Rhydin proper (splitting time with the spaceport where he worked), Toby had only vague rumors and historical footnotes to go on about this man Xenograg. Admittedly never a dueller himself, he had heard the name only in references to skill and accomplishment, until Wyheree had become the man's student. Even then, Toby only knew what she had told him - which was quite glowing.

The skill with a blade, however, was secondary to his interest now. It was the man's reputed skill with magic that had brought Toby to seek him out, and it was Wyheree's absolute trust in him that made the meeting possible.

A little paranoia was a healthy thing, no?

Toby's attention drifted back to the moment. He offered Wyh a strained smile in response to her worried look, and then addressed Xenograg directly. "I hope you'll understand my being very direct - normally I'm all about the pleasantries, but this is a very difficult situation."

Xenograg nodded, having no difficulty himself seeing the stress that had etched lines in Toby's countenance. "I understand. Start anywhere you like."

Toby leaned back, and began to speak. He spoke of his 'gifts', as he called them, demonstrating with a simple effort of will how he could lift his water bottle from the table, causing it to pirouette in the air, and then set back down again. He spoke of his children, Maurin, Reinette and little Selene, and the abilities that had been passed down to them.

He spoke of Tabitha's terrified 'comm call to him seven weeks previously, of Selene's inexplicable 'fading', and their utter inability to discern its cause. And he talked, briefly, about the defenses in place around his home, the magical, the technological, and the psionic.

"I have made a few enemies over time," Toby concluded, "It's possible someone may be doing this. But I don't have the magical expertise to tell, or to prevent it. My teacher is long since missing, and I have no means to reach her. Wyh tells me that you've experience with such things, and.. I would appreciate any assistance you can offer."

The brown eyes met the weary blue ones. "I will help in any way I can, Toby."

Toby

Date: 2012-09-06 11:13 EST
The half-sampled drinks were set down upon the table, already forgotten. Toby folded his hands as he looked to them both. "I am.. not one to trust easily, ", he said slowly, "But Wyheree trusts you. And I trust her with my life. And given the situation? that will be enough for me. I hope you'll understand my initial reluctance, but I grew up here. I've learned lessons the hard way."

"I understand and appreciate your near-blind trust in me," came the reply from the older man with a smile. "I am a sorcerer, which I could describe as a kind of war mage. Defenses against enemies is a primary skill. And likewise, Wyheree trusts you."

A nod came from the aforementioned Wyheree, at the mentions from both men. "Aside from Roran, there is no one I trust more, than both of you."

Toby nodded, then tilted his head at Xenograg "You have some psionic defenses in place, don't you?"

Xenograg raised his chin a little at the tangent. "Yes. I have too many secrets."

"I have a very clear rule about the sanctity of other minds, but I can usually pick up a...." Toby cast about for the right word, "buzz when near someone. Nothing distinct, but like hearing a conversation from outside a room, just impressions." He settled his gaze on Xenograg. "Nothing like that exists around you."

The older man smiled "I once "snuck up" on a psychic because he used his mind more than his eyes. I was standing right in front of him." There were understanding chuckles from everyone at that. "My defense is not foolproof, of course."

Finally Toby reached for his water, took one last sip and set it back down. "Then, if you're both ready, I'll take us to the cabin. I must ask for the same trust from you. The only safe way to reach my cabin, is with me."

"I am ready", answered Xenograg as he stood. He looked down a moment at his sidearm, a pistol in a cross-hip holster model, set on the left hip for a right hand draw. With his left hand, he slowly drew the pistol barrel-first, offering the weapon handle-first to Toby. "I would not wish to startle your wife," he added by way of explanation. "Though I am hardly disarmed, of course."

Toby took it very carefully. He had no fear of guns, though he never used them personally. But this was still the other man's personal sidearm, after all. "I think she'll appreciate that. It's all about perception." There was a beat, and then he nodded. "Would you please take Wyh's hand?"

Xenograg did so, furrowing his brow slightly in curiosity. "This is psychoportation?"

"I don't know what to call it. I can promise you that it's safe," came the reply. Toby took Wyh's other hand, as the three stood in a loose semi-circle. He closed his eyes, with the other two watching him - Xenograg with senses both mundane and ethereal, and Wyh with a sort of resigned look. She'd gone through this before, after all, and wouldn't exactly classify it as a favorite experience.

There was a moment or two of nothing. Then, the world itself seemed to grow indistinct, hazy, to the three individuals. And without warning, reality spun violently around them like a colossal lazy susan even as their feet seemed duly planted on the 'ground'. Echoes, impressions of things seemed to fly past - buildings, people, ground, trees, other things too faint and too strange to perceive clearly.

It was dizzying, to say the least. And it felt 'wrong', to be the center of all things, even so briefly. That more than anything drew out the sensations of discomfort.

And in a moment of non-time, it was over.

Toby

Date: 2012-09-07 15:40 EST
When it was over, the 'ground' upon which they stood was no longer the heavy tiles of Star's End Bar, but rather the floor of a decidedly rustic cabin. The hazy neon-and-fluorescent lighting of the bar was replaced by a gentler dimmness, cast from lamps and a fireplace. And the air itself no longer reeked of narcostick smoke, alcohol and faint traces of rocket exhaust - but instead, scents of wood, of clean-burning wood smoke from the fireplace, of food recently cooked.

It smelt of 'home'.

Wyheree and Xenograg made the same sort of soft grunt almost at the same time.

"Interesting," he opined quietly, glancing around to get his bearings.

"That is always.. disconcerting." she replied with a shiver.

The main room of the cabin was, in a word, comforting. Wood, comfortable carpets, stone effect, and in the corner, a baby grand piano down in the sunken area by the fireplace. There were three doors along the eastern wall, and an open-frame wooden staircase leading up to a loft. A kitchen was visible through a door on the southeast corner, and doors opened to the north and south.

Once he'd looked around, Xenograg turned to Toby. "I would like to start outside."

Toby nodded, and gestured to the middle door. "That's the baby's room. Wyh, would you go let Tabitha know Xenograg is here, and I'll show him outside."

Wyheree dipped her head slightly to Toby, heading for the nursery and knocking softly before pushing the door open and entering.

Xenograg followed Toby out the front door, speaking quietly as they emerged onto the front porch of the cabin. "You are worried sick, I am sure."

Toby did not reply, though the wan expression on his face was answer enough. "The cabin sits in a clearing, on a small hillock here. There's a lake down the northern slope on the other side. I own a total of about five hundred and five acres. Most of that is woods, except for the clearing. The cabin is nearly the exact center. A happy accident," Toby concluded with a half-smile.

The older man surveyed with his eyes, striding away from the cabin in a straight line course. "Are your defenses on the structure or the grounds?"

"Both, " Toby gestured around. "I have some screens that hide emanations from the cabin, and I have perimeter defenses all around the borders. Kai put some wards around the perimeter and the cabin as well, when I first built the place."

Xenograg paused and looked at Toby then. "Kairee?"

"Yes. She was my teacher."

The older man looked thoughtful. "That explains what I am sensing."

"Sass?" Toby affected a slightly wry, but fond tone.

A snort and a smile answered him. "If Kairee put wards here, you should be protected against a magical intrusion." Xenograg then tilted his head slightly, appearing to be scanning the sky over the cabin with his eyes. They moved slowly left to right then back. He reached out and places his hand upon a large tree, palm and spread fingers. His eyes were unfocused, as if he were listening instead of looking. Toby remained silent, letting him do his work.

Toby

Date: 2012-09-10 10:59 EST
After several minutes, Xenograg lowered his hand from the tree, brushing the bits of bark off of his hand. "I find no evidence of any magical intrusion. I think your defenses are adequate, Kairee has the magical vector covered. You, the psychic...and technological?"

"I have some psionic defenses, but I put those up when I was very new to the art. I want to revisit them in time." Toby looked around, adding with a wry smile, "I'm far better with technology."

He trailed off, his expression betraying both relief at the confirmation of no intrusion, and mounting unease as the mystery now deepened at the same time. The moment was interrupted by the soft click of a door, and Wyheree's appearance on the porch. Moreover, their attention was drawn to the slumbering little bundle in her arms as she approached them at the treeline.

Toby turned to look at the little one with that look only fathers get, and his voice had that same note of grace in it. "And this.. is little Selene."

Selene blinked open her eyes, showing them to be a blue like her father's. She was a delicate little thing, as all eight-month-olds are, with blonde hair so silky-fine that it almost didn't seem to be there at all. She blinked again, and made a burbling little sound as her little arms reach for her daddy.

Toby gathered the little figure into his arms as Xenograg leaned over, smiling. "Hello, little one," he whispered. The older man's index finger was proferred to the child, who promptly grasped it without hesitation. She was, just like her sisters, absolutely fearless and utterly curious.

The act was not just symbolic, however. Once Xenograg had the physical contact he desired, he began to whisper again, this time in a strange, tonal language. Selene blinked owlishly up at him, offering up a baby grin that showed the hints of newly sprouted teeth. Xenograg grinned back at her in return as he replied quietly, "Bannu...."

Wyheree and Toby watched in silence, she with a wistful gaze and he with a strange silence. Around them, the leaves of the trees rustled and stirred, though there was no breeze to be had.The only other sound was Selene's little voice, crowing in victory as she held tightly to her prize.

"But that is mine," whispered Xenograg to the child, making a silly, effort-like face as he wiggled his finger once more.

Selene burbled in her own personal language at him, informing him that he was gravely mistaken in his appraisal of the situation. Though, her eyes occasionally flickered to the side - Auntie Wyh's blonde hair was always a distraction. And after a moment, Wyh sent over another favored distraction - a soft flurry of diamond-like snowflakes. The silly bearded man's finger was suddenly forgotten, as little hands went for those instead.

Xenograg glanced up at Toby for a moment, as if trying to answer an unasked question. He thought a moment, even as the snowflakes dusted his head with flecks of white.. Then he leaned over and brushes his lips across the baby's forehead. "Great Mother, protect this child as you have protected me." Finally he stepped back and straightened.

Toby looked up quietly, then. "Anything?"

A shake of a bearded head, dislodging some of the snowflakes that had found a home. "Nothing. I hope you do not mind the blessing... I could be considered a priest, depending upon your definition."

"No, " said Toby heavily, smiling wryly, "at this point I think we could use all the blessings we can get."

Toby

Date: 2012-09-10 12:48 EST
Toby was disappointed, to be sure, to find that there was no obvious presence he could identify and deal with. At the same time, it was another thing eliminated, and a relief that (so far as they knew) the sanctity of home had not been violated.

"The only other thing, would be to show you the scene of the crime, so to speak." He gestured for Xenograg and Wyheree to follow, leading them back inside, and this time into the child's room. It was very much a nursery still, with a hand-made wooden bassinet/crib in the center. A strangely jarring touch was the blue spherical droid floating overhead, camera lenses fixed on the crib.

The three entered, one by one. To Toby, this was just another part of his life, his routine. To Wyh it was also a familiar place, she'd come often enough to babysit or just to visit. Xenograg however, paused just inside the door, familiarizing himself with the room both physically, and with other senses.

The room was not entirely empty. Tabitha was there, sound asleep in the big recliner chair off to the far side of the nursery. Her unruly dark waves of hair shielded her from any light - as did the fuzzy orange and brown afghan Wyh had draped over her.

"Scared out of her mind, I expect," commented Xenograg quietly, to which Toby nodded in silent assent. The older man's eyes then turned to the second silent inhabitant of the room.

A red glowing eye regarded them all, in silence from the shadowed far wall of the room. As Wyh pushed the door open further, the burnished red figure of Max was revealed, hovering in silence. Toby held his hand up, the silent gesture informing the droid that all was well here. Max's programming was clear on two things - any unfamiliar being coming near the children was of 'great interest' to him. And when Toby said someone was okay, that was all that was to it.

Clearly, Xenograg was okay.

Wyh startled a bit, still not used to that red pulsing eye. She'd known about and seen Max for years, and she doubted she'd ever quite be used to him.

"I built Max as my bodyguard way back when I found just how dangerous Rhydin could be," Toby commented as the glowing red 'eye' swept back and forth, resuming his silent stewardship, "But, he's got a new job now. As for the bassinet.. I wanted to place some protection on it when Maurin was born, but I couldn't find anyone I trusted to do it, and Wyh told me that elemental wards aren't entirely reliable."

Xenograg noted the combat droid's presence, then paid it no further mind. He walked directly to the bassinet, laying both hands on the rim of the headboard. The thousand-yard stare returned as he "listened" for any kind of aura, anything at all. After a moment, he blinked and looks to Toby once again. "Nothing. However, I will be happy to place a ward here." He paused to wink at Selene. "Only for beautiful little girls, of course."

Selene giggled happily in answer.

Toby

Date: 2012-09-11 09:43 EST
The three now clustered around the bassinet, Selene still snuggled into Daddy's arms. Xenograg gestured to the bassinet. "What shall the ward do when activated?"

"Can it just.. keep her here?" Toby thought aloud, the simplest possible choice.

Xenograg nodded slowly. "Actually, I am thinking of this backwards. Yes, that's it exactly. Not keep something out; keep her within. And now, the problem." He stroked his beard, thinking aloud as well. "The trick is to keep her here without locking her in permanently. That would be annoying," he added with a smirk.

"I don't know...," mused Toby wryly, "It would keep her from dating."

"Except would she not outgrow the bassinet?" came Wyheree's innocent contribution.

"I'm sure I can rig something," answered Toby, utterly deadpan, before his reply turned serious. "But, the point's well taken."

Xenograg grew serious again as well. "How many people pick up Selene?"

Toby looked thoughtful. "Myself. Tabitha. Wyheree. Occasionally, her oldest sister, but only when we're overseeing. Doctor Turunen, her physician. I think Roran held her once."

"Mmm." Xenograg nodded slowly. "I could place a ward that would only allow certain people to reach in. But they would have to be here when I cast the spell... The ward could not allow Selene to remove herself, just in case. How much crawling does she do?"

"Not a lot, but Reinette was slow to crawl too. Maurin was the agile one. Can you.. put something in that would permit physical departure, but not magical?"

There was a moment's pause as Xenograg thought about that. "Yes, that is doable. And easier on the family. Do you object to me carving some symbols into the wood? The ward will be more durable. I will try not to mar it."

Toby shook his head. "No. At this point, I'm willing to try almost anything. And, it'll be worth it," he concluded soberly.

Toby

Date: 2012-09-13 00:19 EST
Xenograg knelt down and pulled up his right pants leg to reveal a knife sheath. From it he drew a four-inch-blade knife before replacing the cuff once more. Toby watched this, but more out of appreciation for the weapon, than any consternation over it. He and knives went way back. He bounced Selene slightly in his arms, as she nestled in and made the happy baby sounds, eyes slowly closing.

Around the bassinet walked the sorceror, in a clockwise circuit, examining its frame. Just above his head dangled a mobile of a star and planets, with little spacecraft mingled in. Clearly homemade, a touch of her father's origins. Xenograg stopped at the headboard, looking to Toby. "Which way is north?"

Toby turned and pointed to the wall just left of the door. Xenograg looked at the bassinet in relation to the compass, then queried, "Do you ever move it from this position?"

"No, it's pretty heavy, so we've always left it there."

The older man gave a nod, then leaned over the headboard. Holding the knife like a pen, he began to gently scratch a glyph into the horizontal rim of the headboard, barely more than a scratch deep.
Slowly, he moved to the left side to etch yet another glyph on the side rim, then on to the footboard and
the right side in turn. Here he paused for a deep breath, and then regripped the knife by its haft, blade pointed straight down.

Now Xenograg carefully set the point down at the top of the first scratched glyph, and began carving with quick, strong strokes. Once again he moved to each side in turn, working fast but accurately at the footboard, the right side, and once more standing at the headboard again.

Wyheree and Toby watched this with a keen interest. Toby glanced sidelong at her to see how much of this she understood. For her part, Wyh was extremely interested in watching a Master at work, as warding wasn't one of her strengths.

Steel flashed again as Xenograg intentionally and deftly pricked his left thumb with the sharp tip of the knife. This elicted a bit of a wince from Wyheree, but none from Toby - perhaps a testament to how many times he'd been knifed himself in his youth. A squeeze of his finger produced a drop of blood which he pressed into the carved glyph - an action swiftly repeated for the three other glyphs.

The knife was dropped onto the floor and Xenograg laid eight fingers across the headboard. The thousand-yard stare returned again, this time accompanied with a funny humming sound. He changed the pitch of the hum a few times over the course of a minute. Along with this, Xenograg lifted his hands up and over the bassinet, palms down - then moved them apart horizontally and finally lowering them to his sides.

A deep breath was drawn. "Blood is optional but strengthens the ward. Wyheree, a test, please."

Toby glanced over at them both. "Can you do the test with anything? Or does it have to be her?"

Xenograg shook his head in answer to the second question. "The ward is upon the bassinet."

Toby gently passed her over to Wyheree again. She gently gathered Selene in, tucking her blanket around her more snugly, while Toby produced a fluffy stuffed puppy from somewhere. He dropped it into the bassinet and then stood back as the air just above the bassinet began to emit a visible cold haze.

Toby

Date: 2012-09-13 00:23 EST
Wyh promptly sent a little snow cloud over, to flurry upon the bassinet. The three of them watched in fascination as the snow bounced off an invisible shield, as it were - like bouncing dandruff.. or Rice Krispies. The barrier was concave, sloping at the edges of the bassinet. The bounce was slight, some of the snow bouncing several times before it reached the edge.

"And this will repel anything that tries to take her from the bassinet?" Toby watched the snowflakes in their slow dance of futility.

Xenograg nodded, also watching his handiwork with satisfaction. "Any magical effect is repelled."

"So this will eliminate any possibility of magical movement. Anything strong enough to violate this ward, I take it, would cause a reaction on the rest of the cabin's protection, am I right?"

"Yes, I factored that in. This ward can be overcome--burned out--but that will take time and energy. The ward will glow if a large amount of magic is throw at it. The droids should be able to see that, if no one else is present to do so. It is a force field, in the general sense."

Toby nodded. "And I think I can eliminate it being what you saw me do to bring us here. I've been present for at least one of these?events. I know what it feels like when I move, and she wasn't doing that." He sighed and rubbed the back of his hand over his eyes. "I have, as you saw, one of my surveillance droids watching constantly. If it detects the reaction you described, it'll warn me immediately. And I'll be in the room a moment later."

Wyheree spoke now, curious. "Can one be taught to craft such a ward?"

"Yes." Xenograg nodded. "Breaking a spell causes a kind of psychic feedback. If the ward is breached, I will know--only a breach, though.". In other words he would have a headache, though he didn't point that out.

Toby paced around the bassinet, looking it over. "She'll be under constant surveillance as well. Tabitha...," he cast a pained look over at his wife, asleep in the chair, "never leaves the room anymore. Well, almost never."

Xenograg knelt to retrieve and resheath the knife. "I suggest more people for your vigil. You are looking tired, too." He paused and added, "I suppose I just volunteered."

Toby nodded gratefully to the offer. "That's the rub. There are few people I can bring myself to trust in here. Roran is another. I have my droids, but they have their limitations. I wouldn't impose, but any help you are willing to offer, would mean my unending gratitude." He leaned down and lay the sleeping Selene into the crib, covering her up with her favorite blankie. "Can I offer you some coffee? I know it's late, I didn't want to keep you overlong from home."

"No coffee, thank you. A taste I have not been able to acquire." He added with a slight smirk, "How can something that smells so wonderful taste so vile?"

This drew a chuckle from Toby, the first in some time. "Gives me a headache personally, but Tabitha likes it.

"I find it tastes better with the addition of fine cream," added Wyheree.

Toby turned on the nightlight near the crib, dousing the lamp. "I have some other things, if you'd like to stay a while. It's rare of late we've had the chance to entertain, even poor Wyh just gets the 'come in, watch, go home' treatment."

"I would be honored," answered Xenograg. "Do you have tea?"

"Quite a bit. A friend of mine comes from a planet that has tea as a primary export. He talked my boss into a contract."

"It must be excellent, then."

"Even I drink it, and I normally can't deal with tea," Toby chuckled.

Wyheree's eyes lit up. "If it is the tea I am thinking, it is truly divine."

Xenograg tilted his head just a shade. "Divine? That is a quite a boast. I shall compare it to Eldarie tea and we shall see," he concluded with a smile.

The door to the nursery room closed behind the three, leaving Tabitha and Selene dozing quietly, untroubled for the moment by dreams.

Todd

Date: 2012-09-25 10:50 EST
The graceful shape of the Grey Wolf descended out of the sky, her retrothrusters warring against the planet's gravity in a slowly losing battle. They only needed to slow her down, however, and eventually the repulsorlifts came into play, pushing further against the gravity well. In the end, the ship touched down on the landing circle rather gently, swathed in a cloud of steam and exhaust fumes.

Two figures ambled down the ramp that descended from the back, one of them tall and lanky, the other slender and graceful. Todd put a hand on Selene's shoulder, as they stopped at the bottom of the ramp.

"So I'll meet you at the Bar later this evening?"

Selene gave him a sweet smile. "I'll see you there. I'm going to see the boss at the bookstore, then I'm going to meet Toby to go see Tabitha and the baby. I'm a little worried after that last 'comm they sent."

"I'm going to get fuelled up, and see if Jimmy has any jobs lined up." He leaned over and gave the blonde a kiss. "Don't be too long." This was followed by a grin.

Selene smacked his arm, grinning. "Down, boy." Then she started over towards the port tram, laughing as she heard Todd doing his best wolf howl imitation behind her.

"Sheesh. Honestly."

Selene OMalley

Date: 2012-10-02 01:32 EST
The bookstore trip was uneventful - save for the customer that nearly swooned at her feet, a bit of residual side effect from the modeling work she did part time for fun, the most recent being a spread advertising jump suits. Lizzie, Selene's partner-in-crime on the job, gave a mock eye-roll before filling her friend in on the goings-on at the store, including an update on their fellow co-worker, Tabitha.

Selene's brow furrowed, listening to the latest news - which was secondhand at best, given that Tabitha hadn't actually been to work for any length of time since Selene's namesake nearly faded away, and it made her all the more anxious to see Tabitha and Toby both. They'd been so kind to her, it felt only right to repay that favor by watching over the little one as she slept. to give Mama and Papa the chance to sleep as well.

Armed with all the latest tidbits of information, and after a small round of autographs and smiles - and a stray picture - Selene headed over to Star's End, where she knew Todd would be waiting, and hopefully, she wouldn't have to wait too long for Toby and Tabitha. The sooner she got herself into the watching rotation, the better.

Selene OMalley

Date: 2012-10-11 15:58 EST
Todd was waiting at the bar for Selene, a steaming mug of the bartender's special blend prepared just how she liked it (a generous splash of cream, coupled with a slightly less generous splash of Irish whiskey), standing as a gentleman should before kissing her full on the lips like a gentleman shouldn't. Fortunately, the serving droids didn't mind, and the bartender just shook his great shaggy head, having grown used to the weird mating rituals of humans.

They chatted warmly, enjoying each other's company while awaiting Toby and Tabitha's arrival. In the midst of another most ungentlemanly kiss, Toby arrived, clearing his throat to get the young couple's attention - with a bit of an inward grin at their unabashed enthusiasm. Toby's outward expression, however, was grave - the second clue of the enormity of the situation at the Cabin. The first clue was the absence of Tabitha.

After a quick, hushed exchange, their combined voices never raising above a murmur, and after Selene downed the remainder of her still- warm coffee, the trio left Star's End, and after the world spun wildly about Toby's axis, they were gone, leaving only a surprised wino in their wake.

Toby

Date: 2012-10-25 10:43 EST
It was about 9:00 when Toby arrived at the cabin with Todd and Selene. Wyheree was there as well, since neither of the parents ever were alone anymore while watching. Pleasantries were exchanged, and the bassinet was wheeled out into the main room so that everyone could sit down around the table and have some drinks and food - in particular, fresh homemade cheese and homemade pretzels from places that were known to them. Not to mention, other goodies from the steadily growing garden outside the cabin. Todd and Selene had brought goodies as well - tea of course, and some other delicacies from Todd's home world, such as those little tasty lemon moon cookies.

The first part of the evening was comfortable, almost a shadowy reflection of the sort of 'relaxing evenings with friends' that the St. Germains used to know. Wyheree was visiting that evening, and the setting sun found the five adults sitting around the cabin's dinner table with snacks and coffee or tea. Little Selene's bassinet had been wheeled out and was parked in between Toby and Tabitha's chairs. It was a surreal mockery of what should have been a lighthearted evening, however, because no one could forget the threat that hung over the little child's head.

The explanation of what was happening elicited a lot of surprise and sympathy, but as expected neither Todd nor Selene really had much help to offer, except of course for offering to come by and help watch. Selene was especially sympathetic - the wear in Tabitha's eyes tugging at her. They had, after all, been friends for some time now.

Little Selene was awake for all of this, all the new faces had her excited. She was all coos and smiles, waving her chubby little arms in delight. Everyone was fawning over her, though of course Todd and Selene weren't' *as* devoted since they weren't the 'ooh, want one!' types.

In addition, Selene O'Malley felt a distinctly strange sensation from the first moment she looked at the child. She couldn't even figure it out. There was something eeriely familiar about her, yet Selene couldn't figure out why - after all, she'd only seen the baby once before, on her christening day.

Toby

Date: 2012-11-26 19:25 EST
The night wore on, and the bassinet was moved back into the nursery again. The three women retired to that room as well to talk more about baby things, while Todd and Toby remained at the table, their conversation moving to science and technology. During these conversations, it was mostly Wyh and Tabitha talking - Selene listened, and offered insight, all while watching her little namesake.

It was close to midnight, and Wyheree and Selene were trying to talk Tabitha into sleeping, what with all the people in the cabin to help watch in the meantime. Tabitha, of course, was resistant - what if something happened while she slept? Sleep seemed indulgent to her, even though her body cried out for it. After a while, however, Tabitha was at last settled into the big overstuffed recliner, covered warmly with her favorite orange and brown fuzzy afghan. Within a few moments, her delicate snores echoed faintly in the nursery.

Things were quiet, for just a little while longer.

Toby

Date: 2012-12-17 12:35 EST
In the nursery, both Wyheree and Selene O'Malley kept watch. That is, until one of them fell asleep. Just about that same time, without warning, little Selene.. flickered.

Selene O'Malley, still awake, let out a gasp of shock, watching as the infant started to fade out like an old tube TV being turned-off. In turn, her gasp awakened Wyh, who had been half-drowsing. Together they saw the child, sleeping peacefully at last... and half-translucent.

Both women stared, dumbfounded - it was one thing to hear about it, but another thing entirely to see Selene fading out in front of them. But this time, she faded out completely, and the covers settled down onto the bassinet mattress where she had lain.

As Selene gaped, Wyh dashed to get Toby, and a newly awakwened Tabitha dashed wildly about, looking under the bassinet in vain for baby Selene. The panic that gripped the place was legendary: Everyone was talking, Tabitha was practically screaming, Toby was frantic, it seemed like the entire cabin was chaos incarnate. Toby's droid was able to replay the sight of Selene vanishing, which only made things worse.

The chaos went on, until five words silenced everyone, and changed everything.

"Hey... I've seen that before."

Toby

Date: 2012-12-20 08:49 EST
Everyone turned en masse, to look at Todd. He looked rather taken aback at all the sudden, sharp attention from his offhand comment.

"Where?" Tabitha's voice quivered, hardly able to speak through her tears. She gazed at him, pleading without words - all the pain and fear she felt clear as anything in her eyes.

Then Todd turned and dropped a second bomb. He looked directly at his girlfriend, directly at Selene O'Malley. "I've seen you do it."

Selene stared at Todd, even as everyone was staring at her. One blink, then another, and then all at once her eyes went wide. "Of course..."

"You know.. when you fall asleep, sometimes." Todd went on, lamely, very aware of all the stares they were both getting now.

Toby now walked over to Selene, almost nose to nose. "You.. do this. You do what the baby does? You know what she's doing?"

Selene, bless her heart, didn't take the step back. In fact, she managed to meet that intense gaze as she answered him. "I think so, yes...," just a pause as she squared her shoulders. "I think.. she's Dream-Walking."

Silence followed this, accompanied by much blinking.

Selene pushed on, into the silence. "It's rare for one so young to do it.. but it makes total sense, now that the pieces are falling into place."

"I'm sorry..," Toby blinked, "but what? Are you telling me, that she's just *dreaming*?"

Selene nodded slowly. "...little Selene... is in the Dreams. She's a Dreamwalker - a powerful one at that, if she can already shift into the dreams at this age."

"Assuming you're right.. where'd she go?"

Toby

Date: 2012-12-20 11:30 EST
"That, I don't know exactly, but given she's still a baby, she can't have gone far."

Toby closed his eyes at Selene's answer. "I don't understand? you mean her physical body is out there, somewhere? Or nowhere?"

"A Dreamwalker moves through the dream-world physically." Selene nodded, trying to explain to them what seemed so clear and obvious to her. "That's why she vanished, why she seemed to be fading away. She was moving into the reality that exists in all dreams, everywhere. It's just as real when you're in a dream, and to someone like her... someone like me... even more so." She paced as she spoke, and then looked up at the others. "I.. could go after her."

Once again, everyone stopped, and stared at her again. Tabitha spoke up in a hollow whisper, "Are you sure you can find her?"

Selene's reply held a note of confidence. "She's so young, she wouldn't stray far from her own dreamscape. I can find her."

~~

So many questions hung in the air, but all seemed unimportant right now in the face of getting the baby back. But the obvious one came from Todd, who had the most direct experience with this beyond Selene herself (even if it was just observation).

"Don't you have to be asleep too?"

Selene was quiet a moment, then nodded:: Yes... naturally asleep. Drugs won't work, they interfere with the Walking. It has to be completely naturally falling asleep for me to be able to do this."

"Are you feeling sleepy?" Tabitha felt silly for asking, even as she said it. The sheepish look on Selene's face answered her rather plainly.

"I was.. until she vanished before my eyes."

A despondency fell over the room, heavy like a blanket. It lasted until Toby looked at Tabitha. The two exchanged a long, silent, and meaningful look, the kind you can only share through long experience together. Tabitha bit her lip, then nodded to Toby, answering his unspoken question. All through this, Todd, Selene and Wyheree all looked lost.

Finally, Tabitha gave Selene the same sort of sheepish look Selene had given her. "There's times I can sort of send the girls to sleep. Comes in real handy for nap time." She tried not to notice the curious look from Selene, nor the pricelessly confused look on Wyheree's face. She had known for a long time that Tabitha had a knack for getting fussy girls to go to sleep, but never an inkling that it was more than just a knack.

Selene broke the silence. "You can do that - send someone to sleep, without a drugged effect? But how?"

"Ahh, well. You're going to have to trust me."

Toby

Date: 2012-12-28 13:57 EST
The nursery was dark and quiet, the shades drawn, and only a nightlight on. Everyone was cleared from the room, save Selene, who was stretched out on the couch, a soft pillow under her head, and her hands folded on her stomach.... and Tabitha, who sat on a soft little ottoman next to the couch.

Selene had been a little nervous at just *how* the older woman was going to going to 'put her to sleep', but she had gathered all her trust for this. Here, now, in this situation though... she felt something truly strange, a weird sense of deja vu that had no clear origin.

Somehow, the way she had been settled on the couch, gave Selene a fleeting thought of when she was little, and stayed home from school sick - but the thought shredded as she got back tot he task at hand, namely going after little Selene in the Dreamworld.

Finally, all was quiet. And as Selene looked up at Tabitha, it began. Tabitha had a beautiful voice, though no one outside her family knew it, and as she reached a hand to gently smooth Selene's thick hair, she crooned softly, the simple melody weaving a spell with the words, and within the first two measures Selene felt her eyes flutter closed.

~o Red and yellow and pink and green... purple and orange and blue... I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rain-bow too...

~o Listen with your eyes.... listen with your eyes... sing everything you see.. I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow too... o~

Already Selene was nearly asleep, the only thing keeping her awake was the sudden familiarity of the lullaby - one she hadn't heard in a long, long, time.

~o Red and yellow and pink and green, purple and orange and blue... Red and blue and green and... pink and yellow, purple.. orange... and.. blue... o~

Tabitha leaned over, brushing a kiss to Selene's forehead, murmuring softly. "Sweet dreams - I'll be here when you wake."

Those words nearly snappd Selene out of her drowsy state, but Tabitha's abilities were powerful, and even as she slipped onto the winding paths that made up her version of the Dreamworld, so many things became clear - why she felt so compfortable around Tabitha, even when she was shy around strangers, why she had long had that tug of familiarity, even though they hadn't known each other long - it all made sense now, in the penumbra of the Dreams.

It was impossible, wasn't it?

Toby

Date: 2013-01-02 11:44 EST
Upon further reflection, it wasn't as impossible as it first seemed. Not everything she knew was wrong - Tabitha was not *her*. Not the same Her that Selene remembered, if distantly. Two reflections in different mirrors, perhaps. Just enough for her to recognize.

As Selene came to in the Dreamworld, she immediately searched wildly about, calling in a bit of confusion.

"Mummy?"

But the distant memory was fading, all those questions remained in the back of her mind. So much to work through... but not now. Not yet. She had a mission - perhaps for the first time in her life, Selene had a true, clear, unswerving purpose. And she would not fail. That was the thought that began to draw her out of her confusion, that gave clarity to her once more.

Selene shook herself fully awake. There'd be time enough for that later; right now, it was time to find the child. She knew, too well, that the Dreams had hazards all their own to trap the unwary, much less an innocent child.

That's when she heard that echoing voice again - but this time it was not hers. The grey mist around her solidified, and Selene found herself in a long dark hallway, with closed doors to either side.

Selene tested each door she came to, slowly moving down the hallway. For some time, she met only with frustration and locked doors. But gradually she began to see a faint diffused glow up ahead of her. With no other options apparent, Selene headed for the glow, squinting at it. Instinctively, she began preparing to change the Dream, should it be someting harmful.

As she came closer, Selene recognized the glow. It was soft, natural light, emanating from the last doorway. Though the place itself was dark, decrepit, and unnerving, the part of Selene's mind that walked in dreams understood that there was no danger here. Not to her. She couldn't have said HOW she knew - she just knew.

Selene took a breath, reaching for the doorknob. Her fingers closed around it, twisting, and in she stepped, blinking a bit in the light. The room within was familiar to her. Of course, how could she have forgotten it? It was the room she'd seen in her dream not a few days past. The same wallpaper, the bed, the little desk and stool. But it was somehow more familiar than it should be.

Standing there, facing Selene, was a little girl, with the prettiest head of blonde hair. Perhaps five years old, she looked up at Selene with wise, innocent eyes, and smiled.

"I knew you would come. I knew it."

Toby

Date: 2013-01-04 22:13 EST
All Selene could do was stare.

She stared at the room first, because she immediately recognized it. Although exactly WHY she recognized it, or where from, she couldn't yet grasp. But it was the little girl's words that drove all other thoughts from Selene's head. Almost dazed, she dropped to her knees in front of the child.

"Who are you - and how did you know I'd come here?" A thousand other questions ran through her head, but those seemed to be the most pressing.

"I knew because you already came." The little girl tilted her head, quite matter-of-factly. "Or would have already come. It's very hard to say it in words. When you're young, time moves differently, did you know that?"

Selene just continued to stare, utterly nonplussed.

"Do you like it here?" The little girl giggled and waved her hands around. Suddenly she was younger, perhaps two and a half. "I made it this way."

"It's a very pretty room - but why are you here?"

"I was lost. The door was left open, and I came out into the wide world at night, and then I got lost. Did you ever get lost?" The little girl was now six, and quite solemn. "I wanted to go back, but I didn't know how. I heard Mama crying, and it made me sad."

Selene reached out to gently touch the girl's shining hair. "Your mama's been very worried about you. And yes, I did get lost sometimes, but there's always a way back."

"When I first came out here, I was only here for a moment.. but to me it was a long time. I felt the echoes, all the other people who live here, when they sleep. You feel them too, I know you do. Then I found this dream, this place." She bounced on the bed a few times, happily. "And I knew I was home, " the little girl concluded, smiling brightly.

A frown crossed the older woman's face. "This is your Dream Home - but.. it's not your real home, you know this, right?

"But it is. That's why I found it." The little girl bounced off of the bed, and
walked over to a very old, lovingly worn wooden rocking chair. She patted it, looking up at Selene. "Don't you remember?"

Selene followed the girl, reaching out to touch the chair - and when she did, she suddenly did remember. Like a veil parting, memories flooded back into her head, pouring to fill the gap so long present. She stared at the chair, unwilling to take her hand off it.

"This was her favorite place - where she'd send me to sleep.."

The little hand patted the big one. "See? You lost all of this. But you still had it, inside. This is home, your home, the home you had and forgot."

"But, but.... how did you find it?"

"Because this is home." The little girl patiently repeated, "It called me home, and I came." She looked up, finally making full eye contact. "And I found you. That's how I knew you would find me."

When their eyes met, Selene gasped, and took a step back from her.

Toby

Date: 2013-01-13 21:20 EST
"Because... you're me, or I'm you...?"

The little girl giggled, then turned solemn."No, silly. I'm me! I'm your reflection here."

"I - I don't understand... How can that be, when our parents are - different? I'm not even from this world."

"I don't understand it all. I sometimes understand it a little better when I'm older, but it goes away when I get little again. This world is a great big mirror," she looked around, "with reflections everywhere. My mama is your mama... but not the same mama. Does that make sense?"

Selene blinked. "No, it doesn't.." And yet, in her mind's eye now, she could remember distant images of her mother... the beautiful, kind face... the wild dark hair. It was Tabitha... but it wasn't the woman she had met in Rhydin. She realized something, then. "Mummy never left where she was born, and your mama did."

A nod from the tousled head. "They came from different mirrors. This is my world. You come from another world, the one where your mama lived. And my mama came from yet another world, all pretty echoes of each other.

Selene paced around after hearing that. It finally did make some sense, now that she thought about it. All those fantasy stories she'd read, fiction about 'parallel worlds' - it was true, all of it. She came from Earth, the daughter of a woman named Tabitha St. Germain. And the Tabitha she knew on Rhydin, was from a slightly different world. Similar.. but not exactly the same. Just... echoes of each other.

Which made the little girl in front of her, the infant Selene she'd been searching for... a echo of her own self. "Then, how did you find the pieces of my world, in yours?"

A serene little smile. "Because you're here too. Everything mixes together, now that you're here. Dreams cross worlds... my world, your world."

Selene nodded to that. "Yes... yes they do. That's how I got here, to RhyDin."

"In here, it's our world. But time is different in here too. That is why I can talk to you, because part of me has been here for a long time. The part of me that is you. Sometimes I'm the me, that has years to go in that world." The little girl smiled with an odd serenity. "When I go back, I will change. I will lose all of this. But you won't."

"When you go back, you'll be... a baby, again?"

"I'll be me, the me that should be there right now." A solemn nod. You came to take me home. To Mama." It wasn't a question.

"Yes..," Selene confirmed, "She's worried about you - everyone is worried about you."

"Will they let me come out to play again here?"

Selene smiled at that. "I don't know... you'll be quite tiny again. But perhaps - I think if.. I'm here with you, they will in time. After all, someone will have to teach you." Selene paused, looking at the chair. Her expression suddenly became wistful, sad.

The little girl pointed at her. "You're not lost anymore either. You found me, you found here. You remember now." She reached up to gently squeeze Selene's hand. "Don't be sad. You have new friends to play with. And now you have everything back that you lost."

"But - if this is your mirror, then.. what does that make me, in this world?" The hidden fear that had been lurking inside now burst out of Selene. She had never really thought about it consciously, but she was not of this world. She was a visitor, an interloper, or other words less charitable. This little girl was her, or a possible variation of her, but she belonged to this world. Did that mean...

"Can there really be room for me, in your world...?"

Toby

Date: 2013-01-13 21:21 EST
The little girl smiled at her. "I'm a big girl. Mama and Daddy will teach me how to share. And aren't you going to teach me about this place? About the dream world?" The child patted her hand. "This can be your world too. Lots of room. Why wouldn't there be? Look at us. We're beautiful."

When Selene looked back, briefly, she saw a beautiful young woman her age. She knew immediately that she was seeing herself... except, not quite herself. The woman she stared at was subtly different in quite a few ways, not the least of which was the beautiful sheaf of red hair that cascaded over her shoulders. So very different from Selene's tumbling blonde waves. The smile, though... the eyes? Those were identical.

Selene blushed all rosy. "But it's still your world - your place. My place is... somewhere else, on the other side of the Dreams."

The young woman smiled at her. "Oh Selene. Your place is wherever you want it to be. Don't you know? You have people who love you. That's where your place is." She thought a long moment,her voice growing a touch mournful. "When we go home, this part of me will be gone. Time will take me back to the beginning. But someday, you and I will meet again and talk about things. But for now, remember - no peeking."

"No peeking at what?"

"No spoilers. I'm twenty three years ahead of where you are, I know things to come." The girl smiled indulgently. "No peeking. Time is funny like that... Daddy understands. Or, he will." And suddenly, the little five-year old girl, her hair halfway between pure blonde, and the red it would become, was holding her hand out to Selene. "Can we go now? I miss my Mama."

"Of course we can - and your Mama misses you too. And I promise - no peeking." Selene took the little girl's hand, feeling that strange bright spark again. She took just one long look back, before leaving the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It took only a moment, for Tabitha's eyes to catch up with the reality. One moment, she was sitting looking at an empty couch, and then all of a sudden, there they were. Selene O'Malley, sleeping soundly on the couch - and cradled in her arms agains ther chest, little Selene St. Germain.

It was strange, she thought in that brief moment of clarity before everything was bedlam again, they both looked like they'd been crying. But neither looked the slightest bit sad.

Toby

Date: 2013-02-28 10:34 EST
Some time had passed since the resolution of baby Selene's disappearance, and while the time had settled things down somewhat, the reverberations of it could still be felt.

Tabitha still had funny sleepless fits, where she would go downstairs on the pretext of needing a drink, only to lurk fretfully outside Selene's room. There had not been any signs of a recurrance, and if asked she insisted that she fully trusted Toby's statement that he'd been able to put the necessary block on the baby's gift. But still, she worried..

The older girls, Maurin and Reinette, had also mostly left the odd events behind them - but sometimes, one or the other (or both!) would linger by the crib, as if curiously waiting to see their little sister disappear again. Reinette was fascinated by it, but Maurin was a little more displeased. She was just a little older than Reinette (four years versus two and a half), but enough to have a better idea what had happened. And if it bothered her parents, it bothered Maurin.

Toby himself still had some sleepless moments of his own, tied in with the self-doubt he felt about the whole thing. Had he done the right thing? He was no expert even now, but yet he'd taken it upon himself (a third time) to intercede in one of his daughter's minds. What if he made a mistake? What if something went wrong? What if... what if...

The winter promised no answers as it stretched on, endless days of grey skies and chill winds. And now, as the second month slowly died... those clouds on the western horizon began to grow darker and darker. Something was coming, even the humans could feel it. There'd been some snow squalls in the past few days, but something bigger was lurking beyond the mountainous horizon.

And in the clearing, within the cabin, the St. Germains prepared.

Toby

Date: 2013-04-05 08:33 EST
( This seems an appropriate place to mark an end to Act VI. Many changes are ahead in the next Act, along with all that's come to pass recently. Changes in home, in family, in friends, and perhaps even answers from the past.

Stay tuned!)

-BW

Toby

Date: 2014-08-12 16:02 EST
OOC:

This post is to bring the Acts into chronological order, with the addition of Act III.