Topic: Faerie Glamour - [Winner: Best Long Storyline, 2006]

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-03-22 09:21 EST
(Song lyrics shamelessly used is "Once Upon A Dream," from Sleeping Beauty. And, omg, it's a *dream* so lighten up, peoples~!)

Jodiah Ayreg had gone to sleep, wrapped in his blankets. He got to sleep easily enough, humming softly to himself. The damned little nymph! He didn't know how she did it, but she had enchanted him somehow. He went to his blankets then, expecting and dreading all kinds of nightmares of him being manipulated into dancing in mushroom circles, and general sorts of mischief.

I know you

Ayreg could hear the door open. He wanted to spin around, and somewhere in the back of his head, a voice screamed that it wanted it, too. He wanted to grab his sword, and defend himself. He wanted it. He did. But the only movement he made was to turn on his side, and roll to the far side of the bed.

I walked with you once upon a dream

A form slid down into the bed with him. Bare legs, only very softly lit in whatever moonlight filtered down through his window. Legs ended at mid-thigh to reveal a long shirt.

Red. Loose and flowing, not tight. The kind of a shirt a woman would wear to bed; to sleep in. Not the kind wore in public for showing off.

I know you

An upswept arm pulls the blankets of his bed over the body of the girl-- no.. she was a girl yesterday. In his mind, he was sure of that. A girl yesterday, a woman today. It was hard to explain. One minute she was one of the Harpies, the next minute.. she was older. She even looked wiser. She seemed mature, in her own way.

She cried, but it was a tale so epic as to stir tears.

The gleam in your eyes is so familiar a gleam

Fingers ran lightly down the curve of his neck, and she inched closer to him. Her hand rested there, halfway between neck and shoulder, and a gentle smile was offered. Reassurance for him, from her? No. It seemed almost as if she were pleading for reassurance from him. For him to take her into his arms, and to tell her everything would be alright.

Yes, I know it's true

Foreheads pressed to one another, body contours meeting and matching. A creamy leg draped across his own, and lips were but scant, almost unmeasurable distances from each other.

If it were an inch, it felt to be a mile.

that visions are seldom all they seem

His own rugged, calloused hand reached to the loose, red shirt. Fingers were splayed wide across her flank, and slid upward to just beneath her arm. His other hand was beneath her with its fingers buried into short crop of green hair.

But if I know you, I know what you'll do

They kissed. Not a searing embrace, but with passion enough to make angels weep. It almost felt.. pure. There was nothing lascivious about it. As if lust, as a concept, had yet to even be invented by man.

You'll love me at once

He turned. Strong, corded arms rolled her onto her back, and a single finger trailed lightly down across her delicate jawline. Emerald eyes stared up to him, and no words were passed. None needed to. The smoldering stare between them said all that needed to be said.

They made love, where none could -- or should -- ever have existed before.

the way you did once upon a dream

A far cry from the usual nightmares that plague his sleep, to be sure. Alone in his bed, Ayreg rested peacefully, entirely content with the world -- if only for tonight.

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-04-05 08:08 EST
Jodiah Ayreg had been approached by her before. She had a mind to ask him to kiss her, most likely from having seen it with Tara before. He turned her down, of course, sharply rebuking her as best he knew how. She preservered, even trying to snake her way against him. He pushed her away roughly, against the wall, and growled at her.

Yes! Kill her.

Then there was that night on the couch. She was crying. Jodiah Ayreg was cold-hearted, but not entirely heartless. A woman crying melted him as easily as warm butter on a hot plate. He asked her what had vexed her. She never told him, but demanded he comfort her. He had no idea how it happened, but soon enough they were curled up on the couch together, bodies pressed together like lovers, and he was telling her the story of Ayla the Wise and the Spear of Fire. The night ended with a kiss, but he didn't know where it came from. He could swear she trembled in his arms. It had been... a long time, since that had happened.

No, fool! You must kill her!

After that night, curled up on the couch and "snuggling" like lovers, he and the green-haired nymph continued seeing each other, from time to time. The next visit, also on the couch, was far more chaste than the first. Jodiah couldn't hardly bring himself to move his hands, much less have them curl around her during the old war story he told her.

Fly, weakling! Her smile is poison to you!

Then, she showed up at the Dragon's Breath a few days later. The gnomes joked with him endlessly about that one, saying that she was in the silver shoppe for far too long. In truth, she requested to learn how to smith silver. He gave over the grinding wheel to her, and she produced a smooth-banded ring that could be inverted successfully and only needed a minor amount of regrinding to smooth over. It was actually quite good, for an absolute rank amateur. She left before the gnomes could suspect too much, but not without more searing kisses.

She'll betray you! Madman!

Another story told to her in front of the fire, curled up on the couch. Their bodies pressed together like lovers, it was a most unusual thing for the death knight. He did not love this girl -- it was impossible. There was no love left in him, after all. Stranger, he felt no lust for her, either. He didn't even particularly like her, and she had confessed similiar feelings for him (or non-feelings, as it were), yet there it was all the same. Nearly every time they had been together with even a modicum of privacy, they seemed to play kissing games. This one was no exception.

To be soft is to be weak! Run, fool, run!

Then there was that time... near the WestEnd... he shook his head, immediatly pushing the thought away. It was an accident. Nothing more. Just an accident. A byproduct of her story. Just an accident...

Kill her now, while you have the chance!

The others will know!

You will be soft!

To be soft is to be weak! To be weak is to be dead!

Do it now, while there's still a chance!

She's not for you, fool!

Kill her! Kill her! KILL HER!

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-04-08 14:55 EST
Jodiah Ayreg blinked, staring at the note that had been slid under his door. Wearing his hard leather vest, he had just come from some work at the forge -- he had to show up at least once a week, he had been told, in order to keep his position there. It was a troublesome thing, and kept him away from his duties in Rhilshen, but the hard simplicities of metal-working was a nice, relaxing exercise in repetition.

You waste your time, fool!

This note, however, was not. It was, perhaps, the first time someone simply slid a note under his door, rather than break in somehow in the small hours of the night to leave it on his pillow beside his sleeping head, or on his desk, or even (once) on his battle-scarred chest.

The penciled print was in the language of the dark elves. Hard lines, and with nearly unreadable penmanship, it took him several minutes to actually understand it enough to translate. Several lines on the paper bore the marks of erasing, but he couldn't make out the words that were once there. The paper itself was lined, the kind used in any number of schools, universities, and academies.

Old man, thank you for teaching me. I had fun.

She decieves you!

It was unsigned, but he knew who left it. It kept the lingering scent of its author -- one of burnt cinnamon and, perhaps, the sweet smell of honey. Paper fibers were notorious for absorbing ambiant smells... Laying the note into his dresser beneath a few spare shirts, he closed the drawer. Ayreg's lips twitching with the threat of a smile, he undressed and took a shower. A day at work at the Dragon's Breath was more than enough for him to have an incredibly manly, animal-like pungent stench following in his wake.

And that simply would not do if he were to extend her an invitiation tonight.

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-04-23 14:26 EST
Alright. So he never got to extend the invitation.

Something came up at the forge, and he ended up having to go back. Some rich old woman's favorite little necklace snapped in twain, and Jodiah Ayreg just happened to be the only silversmith available to fix it.

Naturally, she wanted it fixed twenty minutes before he showed back up at the forge.

Several hours later, once he finally got back to the Red Dragon, and mellowed out over a small glass of chilled wine, he headed back up to his room for another shower. In the late hours of the night, he wrote down a few work orders for the owner of the Dragon's Breath -- he was still on this ridiculous little kick of his about "documenting" the services performed -- and curled up in his blankets.

Below him, tucked back behind the bar or perhaps in an office attached to the Red Dragon itself, was a box. Inside the box contained the spare key for every available rented room. These were kept in cases of emergencies, or if the renter decided to simply vanish from Rhy'Din without a trace, or go gallavanting off on some damn fool idealistic crusade without leaving the key with the tender.

Fair enough, right?

Room three's key had been missing for almost a week now, yet nobody seemed to remark about it. Perhaps it was because Jodiah Ayreg always got his rent down several weeks in advance of when it was due, or perhaps it was because nobody was brave enough to actually go in to the death knight's room.

For whatever reason it wasn't noticed, Jodiah Ayreg hadn't the faintest of ideas that another key for his room was floating around somewhere. As he curled up in his bed that night, though, someone decided to take it upon themselves to create an invitation. In the small hours of the morning, long after most of the patrons had abandoned the common room below, that spare key turned in the lock of his door. The latch slide back with a soft scrape of metal of wood.

A slender feminine figure, crowned with green hair illuminated by the dim light in the hall outside, and dressed in loose clothing suitable for sleep -- though hardly for public appearances -- slipped into his room, then, and closed the door behind her once she was within.

The only sound made was the soft grind of metal-on-wood made by the latch sliding back into its locked position.

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-04-28 09:04 EST
( Expect some tweaks and some additions. This was done in a hurry, and I'm so~o not done with it yet. )

The next morning - after the shower - she had tried to get him to stay with her... but he could not. He had duties, he tried to explain to her; responsibilities.

The look of sadness on her face made him want to die. The slight mist in her eyes that he would not stay there, in his room, with her. Something very near to shame started to engulf him, but he could not succumb to it now -- indeed, he didn't even have reason to! Women were able to do such strange things to men. She dressed, and he walked her to school. They did not speak much along the way, though.

As he left, walking through the nearby market on the verge of West End, his mind rolled over what had been shared between them that night. Thoughts. Words. Feelings? Hardly... but... pleasant, nontheless.

"I got your note. You didn't sign it, but it smelt of you. You are most welcome, Precious."

"I am grateful for it...your time. I realize you are a busy man."

"Not so busy as I can't make time for you, Precious."

"How's your Drow coming?"

"I am doing well. I think it angers my teacher. He has no affection for me. I have my tutors to thank...and o' course you. I do no' think I would practice so much if I did no' have you to speak to."

"Can I hold you, Precious? I feel a need to do so."

"I think I will die if you do not."

"Ow!"

"Sorry."

"...Tell me of your teacher, Precious."

"He's Drow."

"Jodiah, may I sleep with you tonight?"

"Precious, I... What-- ..I mean.. What do you mean?"

"I want to sleep in your bed with you. Please, my dark warrior, let me sleep here in your arms."

"I-- ...I cannot say no to you, Precious."

Later.

"Your wish is my will. Seize comfort in me, Jodiah. I am for you."

"You are my place of comfort, and I will be gentle with it. With you. But what am I to you? An old man. What have I to offer you for your comfort?"

"Silly, old man. Did you not think for a moment I need your comfort as much as you might need mine? Your strength allows me to be weak. I do no' need to pretend to be anything but myself. You do no' demand I smile...unless o' course I cry."

They spoke more that night, but much of it was hazy in the death knight's memory. The only thing he remembered was the fondness of her presence. Of her smile. So they slept. It was nice, having a warm body pressed against him, and exploring one another's minds, their hearts, and - yes - even each other's bodies with light, lingering touches.

Still, something had troubled him. He had no feelings for her... at all. Neither love, nor lust.. it was just.. there.

It was what it was. A quiet sort of affection, that yearned and demanded for her simple presence, and the touch of her hand upon his weathered face.

It was maddening.

And, undefiled, she had kept her honor that night. It really, and well truly was just... sleep.

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-04-30 11:16 EST
Days went by, and they made Jodiah Ayreg uneasy.

He didn't like being this way. Unable to sleep? Unable to eat? Can't even be focused on work while at the forge. Snappy, standoffish, and irritable. Moreso than usual, that is.

It was just like reliving his younger days. And for what? A skinny little nobody with green hair. She had no outstanding qualities as far as he was concerned. Except for her silken flesh. And her adoring smile. And her sparkling eyes. And the innocent way she spoke. And that cute little way her nose scrunched up when she thought he had said something foolish. And--

...No outstanding qualities at all.

But he missed her, above all else. He missed the time they spent together, quite often just kissing more often than not. It was a strange couple they made, indeed. This wrinkled, older man who'se hands were hard as steel. This nubile, young nymph who could very well have her pick of anyone and everyone, and for some reason had wheedled her way into his arms.

Maddening. Absolutly maddening.

The death knight had been broody, and scowling most of the time since the night she had crept into his room. He returned to Rhilshen briefly, and then returned to Rhy'Din again to work the forges at the Dragon's Breath. With every swing of his arm, he hammered out feelings of frustration and angst. Guilt, even, perhaps. Shame? He had gone to her, originally, because she was on the verge of tears and he -- out of simple and laughable curiosity -- wanted to know what was wrong with her.

That particular night ended with him on the couch before the great hearth, and her snuggled against him like his lover. He told her a story -- Ayla the Wise and the Spear of Fire -- and they were in their own little world. In front of... everybody. It was the only time they were together that they were public. The next day, they had agreed to keep it under wraps.

To keep it secret. To keep it safe.

No one would understand that it was beyond anything either of them could control anymore. So bizarre in its nature, so undeniably misunderstood by both, it had taken on a life of its own. There was never emotion - a fact that seemed to befuddle both of them. No one would understand, but everyone would simply assume that he had somehow forced this upon her.

The proverbial twirl of the mustache and the maniacle cackle, standing over the railroad tracks with her bound before the oncoming train.

In any case, Jodiah Ayreg now sat in the Red Dragon's common room again. He had been feeling rather light-hearted since his secret kissing games with the Nymph had started. Softened, in fact, though as a stone is soft when held against tempered steel. He actually put forth an effort at having a polite conversation. First with Jewell, who was tending the bar that night. After, with some woman he had briefly met on the porch of the Red Dragon the other night. Her hair was the color of fresh blood, and she held the measuring look in her eye so common to many women in Rhy'Din. What was uncommon about her was the slave collars dangling from the belt around her waist.

Ayreg didn't care for slavers. Or slaves, for that matter. Be that as it may, he had never actually met a female slaver before -- and what else could she be, walking around with those things hanging from her hip? Polite conversations only, for now, if not a bit cryptic and mysterious. She knew of him; she had said his name to ensure he was who he was. In some respects, that made the death knight feel oddly... satisfied. He didn't know her name, nor did he care to ask. Not the first night, and not tonight.

But the hours were growing small.

Excusing himself, he turned away from the redhead and stalked up the stairs toward Room Three. Quarters had been made available to him in Rhilshen Fortress from Alysia, but he was certainly not a good political advisor, and she was busy bringing her nation under rein. When the civil war started -- and it would ... he could almost smell it in the air -- he would live in Rhilshen more permanently.

Pushing against the door to Room Three, he... didn't open it. He was certain he had left it unlocked. Fumbling to get the large key from his pack, he unlocked the door and stepped inside.

How the tables were turned. A lump lay on his bed, now, wrapped beneath the blankets to ward off the chill from the wind and the rain outside. A tuft of green hair shielded the back of a head laying on his pillows. Pushing the door closed behind him, he became as silent as he knew how to be, and walked toward the bed.

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-05-02 17:34 EST
The door slammed shut.

This second meeting in his room did not go near as pleasantly as the first did.

There were no soft words, no gentle touch. Anger, perhaps, frustration running amok in the nymph, counterpointed in the death knight. It was the culmination of a repeating and undeniable desire to spend time together, offset by the frustrated ardor that both had felt for their absolute lack of feelings toward one another.

Truth be told, there also seemed to be a great deal to blame on his stoic personality. His "neglect" as she had called it.

"I just want to understand, Jodiah. It isn't my desire to become a chore to you, but your... neglect...it-- I feel like I get so much more from this than you do. Perhaps, it's just I am influenced more by it, or that I just need you more. It could be so many things. I should not have come. I wanted peace, but I see I won't find that here tonight."

Her words had stung him. The little spat had fruther escalated after she had said this, and he gripped her arms in the iron grip of his hands, and very nearly shook her. His voice was raised -- a rare thing, indeed.

"You feel neglect? Closer than anyone has gotten to me in years, and you call it neglect!? Hear me, woman: you are no chore. I don't understand it, either, but I do understand that. You shared a part of yourself, and I my own, and you think I feel I don't need you? Do you have any idea what it feels like to be--"

"I am who I am. Yet you -- you who are not outstanding in any particular way, and one of the most--"

"...And you--! ...Yet--!"

"I want to understand it, too, Precious. It's tearing me apart I want to understand it so much. But I can't. All I know is that when I'm with you I feel-- ...I mean, I-- ...I'm... I feel like..."

She cut him off, declaring how there are those who did, indeed, feel her to be outstanding in her beauty. Adored and celebrated by men and women alike. Kept by friends, and lovers. Yet for all of it, for all of them, it was he who she wished to be with.

"Hear me, woman!" He had roared. Women, generally, do not appreciate being yelled at. Ayreg was out of practice.

"You-- You make me feel like a good man, again. Like I mean something to someone in this world. That's special to me. That's why you're precious.. to me. You're not at arm's length. An arm couldn't bend close enough to pry you away, were you where I wished you to be."

She then did the most unusual thing.

She punched him in the arm near to the shoulder, not with her knuckles but the side of her hand, which was the start of a small bombardment of her fists against his shoulder, chest, and arm. She'd started to sob. "Why did it have to be you!?"

Most of the time when it came to women, one might as well try to understand the sun. It simply is, and it is not to be understood. You cannot live without it, but it exacts a price. The same for women.

He stood there, allowing her to beat against his arm, against his shoulder, against his chest.

His words were.. unimportant, and not good enough. A glimmer of understanding came to her eyes, as if the reasoning behind everything she had felt had suddenly come to life. How long had she been deluding herself into thinking he could cherish her, and hold her close, and keep her safe, and keep her warm, and--?

A long time, probably.

Wordlessly, he watched her leave. As well try to understand the sun... he turned away, then, as the door shut behind her. Sitting on the edge of his bed, the aging man cupped his forehead in his palms, and sighed softly. She didn't believe him capable of cherishing her... he wasn't sure if he did, either, truth be told. He just knows that when she's around, she makes him feel like a good man.

Now, he felt dispicable.

The urge to hurt something rose in him, again, like a fire springing forth to life. He wouldn't, though. He'd just go to sleep. He had duties. He had responsibilities. Somewhere in the back of his mind, though, as he bedded down for the night for a night of uneasy, unrestful sleep...

Somewhere in there, in the back of his mind, the Voice cackled with glee.

I told you so, fool!

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-05-03 09:14 EST
Days past.

It was mid-afternoon and the day didn?t seen inclined to warm. The sky was overcast, and the air held a crisp chill despite the certainty of spring having indeed come. Being the middle of the day, the inn itself had a sporadic crowd and for the most part it was quiet. Quiet enough that when the messenger, a professional runner from the looks of it and not just a ragtag child plucked off the street, came into the common room with his bag it wasn?t commented upon. Why should it be? People came and went, and while the alcohol continued to flow there was hardly a reason to look up from a glass.

Rather than go to the bar and speak to the bar keep behind it, the messenger had clear direction as to just where the letter was meant to go. Bypassing tables and patrons, he made straight for the steps to the rented rooms above. A flick of his eyes to the envelope to make sure he had the number right, and he was turning his feet toward room three. There was a crisp thwap of his knuckle to the door and then a pause and a firm thud of his hand in an impatient tattoo.

"A moment!" Jodiah roared at the first knock, dropping parchements and inkwells and quills into the lockbox under his desk. He closed the box, and secured the lock, and then the pounding began. "A moment while I find a shirt!"

He was already dressed, of course, but he had to say something. Pushing the lockbox against the leg of the chair, he did his best to make it look inconspicious before turning and stalking toward the door. He flung it open, glaring daggers at this... courier? He blinked. "What?"

The messenger drew himself up straight. Shoulders rolled back while he adjusted his hold on the envelope. Lightly, he let his thumb flirt against the wax seal that held the flap firm. ?Mi'Lord Jedidiah, I trust?? He asked smoothly as if he hadn?t just been pounding restlessly at his door. Dark eyes moved to take the man in -- the gray of his hair, the fine lines and scars as well as the state of his attire (though he pointedly ignored the daggers in the man's eyes) before letting his gaze ease around him to try and see into the room itself.

The death knight flinched, frowning. Jedidiah. He could really shake Jewel for that, even though he wouldn't. Too much trouble with Tara as it is, and nothing to say if just gave the hint he might have tried to hurt Jewel.

He nodded, wearily. "Yes, man, your trust is correct. Now quit being a giraffe, and tell me what you're here for."

With the man?s identity reaffirmed, the messenger let his thumb slide up beneath the wax and broke the seal. There was a soft rustling as the paper was unfolded to reveal a nice, neat even hand. The man?s head tipped down, his forelock falling across his brow as he considered what was inside the missive.

Oh, sure, Jedidiah might think twice about someone reading his mail -- but he was supposed to do it! Sort of. Folding up the paper, he bobbed it teasingly before the Death Knight but didn?t quite hand over the parchment. ?On this fine spring day, you, Jedidiah, have been summarily challenged to a duel.? Was that a hand out for a tip?

Jodiah Ayreg blinked, staring emotionlessly. "By you?"

"Me?" A short chuckle. "No." The messenger gave the man a level look then, and sighed as if the death knight had levied a great burden upon him. Unfolding the paper again, he let his eyes skim; dragging a finger under the lines to keep his place.

As he did so he mumbled bits and snips of the letter. "For grievous slight...something..." He looked up and to Ayreg briefly. "Oh, looks like you really pissed someone off. Good going."

More skimming. "No, just gives a time and a place." He looked at his wrist, though there wasn't one of those miniature clock devices there. "Actually, you might be late. Forfeit?"

When the man looked up again from the letter, it was to see the scar-knuckled fist of the death knight coming strait for his face. The messenger had an unfortunate condition--since birth really. It was tragic. His jaw, it seemed, was made of glass. He didn't even have the time to call out 'not the face!' before knuckles met to his jaw, and he met the floor. Right now, somewhere, a psychic ambulance was rushing to pick him up.

Maybe.

The man didn't see anything again for at least the next several minutes.

Plucking the letter up from the unconscience, limp fingers, he glanced over the letter briefly, grumbling to himself, and closed the door. The letter now where it belonged, he'd find that enclosed in the letter were very thorough directions to a secluded point in the mountain foothills just outside the city proper.

He turned and trotted down the stairs, then out toward the front door of the common room. Time and place, indeed, and he was headed there now. He knew his way around the neighboring land well enough to know he'd need his horse to get there in a reasonable amount of time -- especially since this letter seemed to have a deadline whereupon it would be declared to all of Rhy'Din City that he forfieted.

According to the letter.

Runesword, icon-etched with the symbols of the Nihil, tucked into a loop made in his belt, the death knight rode out to find the bull-goose fool who had challenged him to a duel. If he thought for one second that the death knight was going to be easy meat...

...Jodiah Ayreg would disabuse him of this belief.

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-05-03 16:10 EST
The directions from the note led him over the river and through the woods.

He eventually found himself on a winding path down into a shallow valley. The path was bordered on one side by an aged wood that followed the contour like the shore followed a river. There were more trees on the opposite side of the path as well, but the land was steep and the wood patchy often giving way to great stretches of green. Nestled down in the valley at the end of it all was a very modest chateau that had faired poorly under the winter weather, and before it a very overgrown garden.

Unlike the city itself, it was actually sunny (if only partially) and there were great palm sized butterflies drifting among the early flowers. There were two more buildings just visible that were set farther back -- one that appeared to be made nearly entirely of glass, and the other had been reclaimed by aggressive ivy-like vines.

And there were bugs. Lots and lots of bugs.

It was an idyllic location actually, and one might think at least a few people lived there, but none were to be seen. Jodiah Ayreg had no great love for green things, but this was good land, and set just enough out of the way as to be defensible in the valley.

He dismounted, lashing the reins to a nearby tree to make sure the shadow mare didn't run off and go galavanting about in the woods. He turned, walking with slow, calculated, measured steps towad the chateau first. The letter didn't say who it was sent from, so this might very well be Talomar Longden seeking to end their feud by drowning in each other's blood.

One hand rested lightly on the length of steel on his hip, the other was curled loosely at his side. He pushed open the door of the chateau, and peered inside without actually entering. Not seeing a soul, he turned and walked down the length of the front porch of the house, turned the corner, and began walking toward the rear. His eyes raked left and right, as if expecting a thousand murdeous, savage wombats to pop out and accost him.

He had been talking to those Ravenlocks too frequently. They kept mentioning their fear and loathing of the local wombat population.

His tension eased somewhat as he saw the green-topped nymph step out from behind a flowering bush, making herself wholly apparent and visible. She looked... nervous? His chin lowered, briefly, remembering the argument they had went through several nights past now. This would be the first time they had met since then.

He felt his muscles tensing again as more memories of what happened that night bolted like lightning into his mind, but he pushed them away and walked toward her wordlessly.

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-05-03 18:02 EST
"Have you come to fight?"

"To fight? So it was you that sent the message, Precious?"

"Are you ready, then? Time is short, and soon you forfeit."

"I do not forfeit, Precious. Do you know what you're geting into?"

"If you do not forfeit, then you must fight.

"Then I will fight. Name your terms, Precious."

"Hand-to-hand only, no magic or other weapons...to last until one or the other party surrenders. Agreed?"

"Agreed."

A flick of his wrist, and he had slid the belt out of its buckle, and off his body. Setting it, and his sword, to the side on the stone bench there at the sitting area, he turned and followed her toward the grass.

"Why do you wish to do this, Precious?"

His mind raced back to that day in the silver forge. He had promised her he would do this.

?Then necessity made you a proficient smithy. This is the only life you've ever really known, isn?t it; metal and war??
?Ever really known...yes.?
?Does it bother you not to have one??
?Sometimes. Bored, mostly. I have my moments of excitement, though. I was made for combat, Precious. Without it?I feel like I'm dying every day, and worthless for all that matters.?
?Spar with me.?
?I wouldn?t want to hurt you, Precious.?
?Wha? makes you think I?d let you? If you dunn care to. I canno' make you. Though, I will jus' have to find some other brute o' a sword-swinger to be my partner. One who might no' have a care about whether or no'm as fragile as a round o' silver.?
?Alright.?
?You?ll have t?keep it a secret from Tara. She?ll be upset if she knows.?
?I can keep a secret, Precious. Tara would kill me if she knew I fought with you.?

Why did he make such a promise?

"It needs to be done."

"When you are ready."

"Do not show fear in laying hands on me. It will do neither of us any favors."

"I do not fear laying hands to you, Precious, but I fear asking your forgiveness later."

She was not a fighter, but here she was courting disaster for what ever reason her heart felt she must. It wasn't as if there was a power play between the two of them -- because there wasn't. There was just something visceral about the whole encounter: deep, instinctive, and completely illogical. He moved toward her and she held her ground. She wasn't all about formal training and the 'proper' means of conduct.

This was outside of that.

It hardly made sense to put reason where none existed. With knees gently bent, her body was poised for action. When the distance between them started to be become nonexistent, she acted; an inward sliding step and a clipped movement of her arm with the intent at delivering a knuckle punch to his throat.

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-05-04 01:35 EST
His hand rose quickly, catching her by the wrist and yanking her arm upward. Fighting with hands and feet was not the death knight's strong suit, but he made up for it against the nymph in brute strength of force. He turned her wrist, spinning her around to face away from him, and closed his arm down around her body, still holding her wrist tight. "That was a killing blow, Precious.."

Her answer was to try and drag the back of her heel down his shin and try and stomp her foot on the top of his.

Soft leather provides about as much protection as cotton does. He yelped, releasing her quickly in response to the bony little heel crushing a toe or two. Pushing her away, he stamped his foot a few times as he uttered out a few choice curses, most of which would probably not be suitable for mixed company. When he looked back up at her again, a grin began to tug at his lips. "Alright, then. Let us dance.."

He moved toward her like a snake, at that point, shoulders hunched forward. It had always been the death knight's way of fighting: absolute aggression. When one could not slip around an opponent's defenses, one simply battered them down to a pulp. He attacked her, then, balled fist coming out in a wide, swept arc toward her belly.

And, to his dismay, it landed.

Her pain was voiced in a half choked gasp, and she thought she might be sick. Doubling over; she floundered a step, but while he was close, like the girl she is, she lashed out a hand to grab at his hair.

Gray hair was yanked, and he bent double with her. Plopping to one knee -- the arthritic one -- Jodiah groaned softly, and lifted his hand slowly toward her face, his head canted awkwardly with her ninja-death-grip on his hair. "Are you alright, Precious? I didn't mean to hurt you."

Still no reply. Tears streaked down her face even as she yanked on his hair to drop him hard onto his side, sprawling out over onto his back. A little rock, though it felt like purple mountain's majesty incarnate, made itself quite known and quite painful in his ribs.

A scrambling crawl had a grass-stained nymph soon stradling his torso. She was crying in earnest now, and there seemed to be no stopping it. Her voice hitched when she spoke, the palms of her hands pressed hard to the front of his shoulders; her tears raining down onto him. "Would you have come to me, Jodiah? If I had said nothing - done nothing - would you have come back to me?" Her features turned ruddy with emotion and the scent of rain was strong.

"You value power. You give it worth. I can be strong!"

His heart bled. He wanted to reach out to her, to hold her, to comfort her. Pangs of sympathy rolled through the death knight as her tears dropped onto and about his face. "There is more to power, than strength. There is more to strength, than power."

He twisted, hands grasping her arms. She grappled with him a moment, but it all proved futile in keeping him from disengaging her from his person. Arms twisted about, his fingers bit into her skin as he half-tossed half-pushed her away. It was now her time to be in the supine position on the grass, though she probably didn't have a rock she had to come down hard onto. He copied her own action, pinning her down into the grass. "You are strong, Am'thyst. Stronger than I ever could have known."

"You would have gone back to Rhilshen!" She accused, her anger and hurt briefly showing in her face.

His voice was not the steady, even flow of words it usually was. The stoic, emotionless pattern was replaced by somewhat terse, strained syllables. He was feeling... something. Anger? Shame? "Is that what this is about, Am'thyst? Did you wish to hurt me because I left Rhy'Din?"

He held her down to the ground by her wrists, not her shoulders, looming over her like some kind of titan. "Why do you feel this way, Am'thyst? I am an old soldier, who knows nothing of the harboring of tender feelings! Surely you don't want my companionship for the rest of your days."

She shook her head and her short olivine hair haloed on the grass beneath her. Color touched her ruddy cheeks, which the green had a marvelous way of canceling out some of that red. Her voice was low and broken. "No, tha's no' it, Jodiah. I know 's wha' you crave. I am no' blind!"

"After--" Her color deepened. "After that night I spent with you..." She closed her eyes and released a breath, her body relaxing beneath his. "Jodiah, would you really have come to see me? Would you really have wanted to see me after...that? You ask why I feel this way...why do you?"

He almost shook her. Hands on her wrists were trembling, then, but their grip remained firm. He said the absolute first thing that popped into his head. "Because I am afraid!" A tear slipped from his eye, itself twitching in the angst broiling in him like hot grease in a roasted chicken.

Flinching back, she cowered just a smidge; it was seen in the eyes more than a full-body withdraw. Not that she had far to go considering their positions. His words were there between them, hanging as if the air itself had captured them and refused to let them go.

They were both exposed.

Both of them had, in some form or another over the last few encounters, shown more of themselves than they wished to show to anyone. There were things best kept in the dark, and unacknowledged.

Neither one of them had that luxury any longer, it seemed.

The grip on her wrists had loosened then, and rather than wrenching her hand out from beneath his she wriggled one down until she could twist her wrist and splay her fingers under his, coaxing his hand to uncurl beneath her touch. "Jodiah," her voice was heavy with her sorrow and her expression woebegone. "Do you want me to leave you alone?"

His body shifted, and he rolled off of her. On his back beside her, their fingers intertwined on one side. His eyes were closed. Ayreg was a tight knot of raging emotions, now -- emotions he normally had preference to keep very firmly in check. The nymph had taken his world and turned it on its head.

The truth was a lie, but there it was all the same.

His own answer came after a brief pause, where the only sound was the two of them breathing. "No. You are far stronger than you know, Am'thyst."

"I forfeit to you."

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-05-05 02:53 EST
Amthy tightened her grip on his hand for a moment, and stared up at the clouds drifting over the sun. Releasing his hand, she rolled on her side for a brief moment before resting her cheek on his stomach. "I am not so strong. One word from you can break me."

She folded one of her arms before her, and curled her fingers over her mouth.

"Then we are in good company. The lightest touch of your hand commands obedience. What are we to do, Precious?"

"This is my home. This property. It is where I spend the most time." She started casually, seemingly changing the subject in an unusually abrupt way.

"Would you like to see the grounds?"

She stood.

"I would enjoy that, I think."

And helped him to his feet, as well, with an outstretched hand.

"We'll start with the garden."

Companionly, she laced one of her arms about his and tipped her head toward his shoulder as she coaxed him toward the mouth of the garden. At first glance it didn't appear to be a garden at all but a wall of green, that was until one found the opening and followed the trail inside. It was similar in some ways to a labyrinth -- if one was made of of artfully arranged trees, bushes, and other flora to create an illusion of dead ends and blind intersections. There were niches here and there; hidden places for lovers to frolic with no fear of discovery until they were literally tripped over. The path forked a time or two, but she knew her way around it. "My wood is tha' one there." she said to him as they wandered through the garden. There, of course, meant the one that was all around them and the property.

Jodiah had no great love of green things; neither gardens, nor trees. He was cordial, though, and well-mannered, so he was quite skilled at feigning interest in something that disinterested him so utterly. "It is very pretty, Precious. It suits you, for some reason. Like you belong here with it, and it with you."

She laughed. Squinting an eye, she swayed to one side to look at him as she trailed a hand over a bush that grew close to the trail. "Indeed, prolly so. I made this place with my own two hands."

The rest of the trip through the garden was silent. Her gaze lowered to touch on the odd bit of slate that defined where it was they went, and so she led the way. The destination was soon made clear as the vague scent of sulfur touched the air and the path started to widen as they rounded one of those 'dead ends'. The trail became the mouth of a clearing, and in the clearing, surrounded by flat stones and sweet grass, was a tiered hot mineral spring. The water was crystal clear and the different colored stone and algae clusters could easily be seen in soft pastel and rock red hues. Behind the series of interconnected pools stood one wood and stone building, but with two doors.

"Jodiah," she started, "Will you let me attend to you?" She moved away from the death knight, crouching down near the water's edge; winding one arm about her knees as she wriggled her fingers against the pool's surface. "Before you go back to Rhilshen." She sounded reluctant even to say the name of the place.. as if saying it would make him return to it that much faster.

"Attend to me, Precious?"

"Yes," she answered, "attend to your bath." It boiled down to one request -- she was asking to bathe him. It wasn't a terribly uncommon thing for the lady of the house to attend to her guests (or to send a wench to do it for her depending on the importance of the guest).

Perhaps, it was a habit that had gone out of fashion in the realm, but it was not one Amthy had forgotten.

"You can change in there," she tipped a finger toward the door farthest away from them. "There are towels... there tha' you...can wear." She stumbled a little as a blush touched her cheeks. "In an' out o' the waters."

His head turned away from her as she pointed. He was familiar with this tradition -- it was widely practiced in the Great City of his youth, after all, particularly amongst the upper class of his birth. Still, it was something of a shock for her to request to do it. He was silent for a time, but eventually did nod. "Very well, Precious.." he started, rolling his shoulders back to try to work out a sudden twinge of knotted muscle. "If you truly wish it, then I will oblige you. I will return in a moment."

He turned and walked away, moving toward the indicated doorway. The knot in his back seemed to grow exponentially, branching out like tendrils of Renna's shadow arms. Even after all they had been through, the experiences, the time spent together, the intimacy.. it was difficult, and his stomach wanted to lurch at the thought of something so foreign (and yet so familiar) to him as a simple bath.

He walked like a man being led to the gallows.

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-05-05 23:40 EST
(written in its entirety by Amthy <3! )

Amthy watched as Ayreg walked away from her. She was nervous. Absently, she drew her fingers over her stomach and pressed down lightly. She was sore where he?d hit her, and probably would remain thusly for a day or so yet.

The nymph was no high lady, and her request to him had flirted on inappropriate. It was surprising, then, to find she wasn?t ashamed. There was a need bubbling fitfully inside her, and that was more pressing than even her pride.

Bright green eyes skimmed over the surface of the tiered pools. He could have rebuked her. Instead, he had acquiesced to her desires. She had to wonder if he wasn?t listening to the same yearning she was; the same confusing empty-warmth that was like a separate entity with its own wishes and motivations.

Things Amthy just didn?t understand.

But then, it wasn't like they were complete strangers to one another any more. Her skin heated in memory. No, they weren't strangers.

Ayreg was just disappearing behind the door when she stood. Inside the half of the building that Ayreg had ducked into was small, but not so much to be called cramped. The structure was primary constructed of wood, but the back wall was of stone and the floor tatami mats.

A single wooden bench sat before some shelves and cubbies made of the same material. Though most of the surfaces were bare or empty, there were some plain white towels to be found. Outside of the basic changing area there was a rudimentary cistern-fed shower where the stone wall bowed outward in a deviation of the building?s lines. In that small section of the wall the shower was back-set and roofless.

The cistern itself was mounted to the roof and relied on gravity to deliver the water to the faucet. The knob only had one function-to turn the flow of water on and off. The shower head itself was designed to emulate a rain storm, and could often feel that way given the water was only as warm as the temperature outside.

While Ayreg busied himself with his preparations, Amthy had a few of her own. Built into the side of the structure was a small cabinet and magicked ice box. From one side she drew out light cotton robes for after the bath, towels, as well as wood encased bottles which contained fragrant oils. Selecting one of the bottles, she set the robes near to the spring and decanted a generous bit of the essential oil-rosemary for circulation and to cut some of the sulfur scent of the water. Jamming the stopper back in, she returned the bottles to the cabinet and turned her attention to the ice box.

A bottle of chilled fruit wine in a similar wood-encased decanter as the oils (it just didn?t do to have glass around water in case something broke) and a pair of carved wooden cups. The wine itself was crisp and clean in flavor and its sweetness was not overpowering; A Fae wine, and far more intoxicating than the flavor would suggest. These things were set on a rectangular wood tray with a flask of sweet water and a spill of grapes and strawberries before likewise being set out in easy reaching distance of the spring near to where the graduation of steps suggested the ?entrance? to the spring actually was.

It had taken no time, really, to get things situated, and once she was satisfied; she went inside the other changing room.

Her shower was not thorough. She barely wet her hair and washed the hint of sweat from her body before she wrapped herself up in a towel. Tucking the side up around her chest to cover herself, she snagged a wash cloth from a shelf and left the small shelter to return to the spring.

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-05-06 08:08 EST
When she emerged, Jodiah Ayreg was already well on his way from his dressing room. Indeed, the only thing that kept him from already being ready to go was the fact that he had to learn as he went, without the advantage of already knowing exactly how the shower worked.

She saw him first approaching the spring, and his brilliantly green eyes grazed over the items arranged just on the rim of the pool of water. He had, indeed, rinsed in the shower -- indiciated by his gray hair, now released from its normal tail, wet and clinging close to the back of his neck.

Ayreg's only clothing now was one of the towels he had found in the dressing room, wrapped about his waist. He crouched onto his haunches next to the pool, his free hand (the other holding the towel to him) dipping down into it to feel of its temperature. A sunny day gave the water a pleasing feeling, kept from being frigid by the warming rays of the sun. He looked up to her on her approach, though he did not smile. There was a glimmer in his eyes, though, and it told the world that he seemed... eerily whole again, now that she was back.

As if the briefest moment apart had killed a piece of him, now revived.

He rose back to his feet, and stepped down into the water of the pool first, removing the towel from his person as he went. In the end he was without clothing entirely, and the towel was folded and set on the embankment of the pool. A long, drawn-out sigh of relief rolled out of the death knight as he gloried in the feel of mineral-rich water engulfing over his form, and he hunkered low to sink as much of himself in as he could.

Amthy lingered near to the door and watched him. It seemed like interest, but he wondered what exactly she was thinking about. She left the door open and ducked briefly back inside. It took only a few moments for her to find what she wished , and return to the threshold. Cautiously, she approached the mineral spring.

Canting her head slightly, she ran her fingers over her damp hair; twisting a tuft about the tips. Her towel, like his, was likewise shed. White terry cloth mounded on the sweet grass and she dropped her wash cloth and the dark purple ribbon she?d been carrying down beside it.

Moving a few steps down along the bank, she took the first cautious step into the water. Familiarity helped her find the narrow step, but she was careful still because certain algae took hold in the spring every now and again.

?Does your knee pain you?? She asked as she descended to the next step -- it was wide enough to sit on and set deep enough into the water to cover her to her knees when she did so.

"From time to time, Precious."

"Am'thyst... I... I've been thinking... "

?I hear tha?s a very dangerous past time.? She said to him with a small, but genuine smile.

?Wha? have you been thinking of, Jodiah?? Her legs parted, and she indiciated for him to come and join her; to sit down on the step beneath hers, in the space she had just opened with her legs. She spread her legs a bit more to accommodate the width of his back, then clutched at his sides as he sat down on the step where she wanted him. His arms draped out across her knees.

"The other night. When you left. Our... fight, then, after I came in and found you in my room at the Red Dragon I've been thinking about that. Am'thyst, I... I wanted to tell you something."

With a feather light touch, she ran her fingertips over his wet, loose hair. There was the soft sound of sloshing water as she moved; combing the steel-colored length back. While he lounged, she let her touch radiate out to skim across the top of his shoulders before her thumbs drew in a deep, slow rake across the back of his shoulder. Rotating her thumbs, she pulled them back in a drag toward the middle of his back. She paused as he mentioned that night; the fight, the argument, and when she spoke next she sounded almost.. hesitant. "Yes, Jodiah?"

He took a deep breath. Blood and ashes, but this was going to hurt...

"Am'thyst.. Precious.. I wanted to apologize to you."

She released her pent breath with a laugh; her arms coiling around him from behind as she buried her face into the crook of his neck. For the umpteenth time that day, she felt the sting of tears.

It had been a very emotional day.

?Oh, Jodiah, you silly ol? man!? She said beneath his ear. ?You?ve naught to be sorry for.?

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-05-07 07:45 EST
"You are a remarkable woman, Precious. Just when I think I have a handle on you, you shock and surprise me every time. It's a good thing."

?Were tha? I tryin? to be so, Jodiah, but sometimes I canno? help myself.?

A brief pause.

?It was hard, Jodiah, so very hard to be away from you.?

Another brief pause, though this one was spent resuming the massage over his back and shoulders.

?Has tha? been weighin? on you? Apologizing.?

"It has."

A soft groan. A massage was something the death knight very seldom ever recieved. Ever.

"I've missed you, Am'thyst. I feel like I want to be around you all the time, now."

His eyes were closed. He just couldn't shut up.

"I can't breathe without thinking of you. Look at me, even now. Here with you. Young enough to be my granddaughter.. I'm a lecher, Am'thyst, and terrible for that. But I cannot get enough of you. I've tried to deny it. I've hoped it would past. I was wrong."

Her throat was tight around the words and her lilting voice was strained. ?Do you have any idea, ol? man, wha? those words mean to me -- wha? they do to me??

"Tell me, Precious. How do they make you feel? Disgust? I would not blame you... "

?Well.. ?m no? old enough to be your granddaughter. Daughter, maybe.?

She smiled. He smiled, with her.

??s always been so hard to believe wha? you say, Jodiah. No? tha? I fancy you a liar -- because I dunn -- but because it seemed so unlikely. You say those words and ?s like the cup o? mine heart has tipped over, and everything is spilling out.?

?Why would I be disgusted?? Her eyes lifted toward his face. ?Duncha know by now, Jodiah, tha?s wha? I want? Tha?s wha? I crave??

She curled her hands over his and lifted his fingers to her mouth. A kiss was dropped to the tip of every finger.

?Jus? as I?ve doubted you, Jodiah, so too have you doubted me?but this feeling inside me won? let it lie. All the times I should have jus? given up?it won? lemme. I need you, Jodiah, more than anything -- I need you.?

Jodiah Ayreg was... unable to restrain himself, any longer. He turned to the side and stood, taking a step forward onto the next higher step and wrapped his arms around the nymph. Backwards they went, spilling out into the grass beside the mineral pool and naked as the day they were brought into this world. His lips find hers, as if by instinct; too long has it been now since they kissed. "I need you as well, Am'thyst... Are you still for me? My sanctuary?"

fingers hooked in a teasing rake over his back, and a gurgling giddy giggle answered his words. ?Always, Jodiah, always.? Elation colored her lilting voice, as did the faint huskiness of need. It was no surprise then, that there was also the sweet scent of warm honey and cinnamon clinging coyly to the air and to her body.

"I would like to know you, Precious..." he started, pausing to enjoy the frolicks of another oral embrace. His head canted to the side just-so, allowing for a perfect melding of lips.

A single leg snaked between hers, down and around, calloused footpad touching (like sandpaper) against the much softer flesh of her own foot. "...in a way only a man could know a woman.

"If you would have me."

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-05-07 08:44 EST
"Blood and ashes, did he really just say that?"

Garen Corlagon shook his head. He was very nearly disgusted now by what his shadow-brother had been spewing. Romance? Love? Tender yearning? These were not for one such as Jodiah Ayreg. Yet there he was -- on the other side of the Shroud seperating from the Shadowlands from the living world -- pressed close against this green-haired girl.

He wanted to sick up. It wasn't a pleasant sight, looking at Ayreg's scarred, pale body pressing to and rolling about with her. The image of his shadow-brother's naked body was very well going to be burnt into his mind forever, he was sure.

She on the other hand was very ruttable.

"I'd like to take her caul down to Malfeas," cackled the Specter which had accompanied Corlagon to act as a kind of look-out while he was working. Drag her down to Malfeas? Specters had a curious sense of humor. They existed only to serve the Nihil.

"Oh, yes, I could think of a great many things to do with her, as well." Though none of them amounted to feeding her to the Lords of Malfeas. "Oh, my word, did you see that?"

The Specter cackled again. "Lively little girl he has there. Think he'll even survive long enough for you to Puppet him, Master? Humans have such weak hearts..."

"Oh, he'll make it.." Garen Corlagon smirked. "He has to. He's got too much pride to just fall over dead on top of her."

He turned, pacing now. Garen had seen just about enough of Jodiah's naked body to last him the rest of his eternal life. No -- he had seen more than enough to last that when he had taken that towel off and stepped into that miserable little pond. This was pure torture -- what else could it be, to be forced to sit and watch his old, wiry body writhing and pressing against even a nubile thing such as this girl he's picked up? -- and he wondered if the Nihil had given him this command simply to torment him.

His escort, this Specter, very nearly bounced. Globs of some kind of plasm jerked away from the sudden movement out of holes in his flesh that seem to have been caused by stretching, suggesting that the Specter had died a mortal death by burning alive, most likely. "Oh, oh, look at that!"

"Hmpf. Do you think she knows where that's been?"

"Not flaming likely, I'd say."

"Shame."

"And the noises they make.. I'd just as soon have a heart-to-heart with the Malfeans first."

"It is disturbing, isn't it? Amazing how such a thing can seem so foreign when you've been dead this long."

Once again, the Specter cackled. "They'll know soon enough, too."

This continued for some time. Garen Corlagon and his Specter look-out trading jabs at the two lovers' expense. They had to do something, though -- sitting and just watching made Corlagon want to rip his eyeballs out, and throw them as far away as he could.

"Master.." Started the Specter, lifting a hand crafted from the plasm of the dead and reaching taloned fingers outward.

"I know, I see it. He's almost finished. Guard my back, worm, because I'll be helpless while I'm wrestling with Ayreg's willpower."

"Yes, Master..."

Garen Corlagon starting forward, walking toward Ayreg's and the girl's heaving bodies. He worked his mind over the secrets of Puppetry, as gifted by the Nihil, and sinewy black cords began to flow out of his fingers toward the two; toward Ayreg.

Hopefully.. this is timed just right. He remembered what the Voice of the Nihil had said to him, down in Malfeas. "He will be weak at the end. Wait for that instant, and you will have no resistance." This was going to be that moment.

The long, sinewy cords of black sank into Ayreg's back, wrapping around his spinal cord.

It had begun.

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-05-07 22:06 EST
Amthy mewled softly, ready to snuggle and whisper sweet nothings and declarations of adoration into Jodiah?s ears. They had just started to trip past her lips -- words of devotion. Words she knew she shouldn?t say only because she knew he would never return the sentiment.

She no longer cared.

Softly, she implored him to run away with her again -- for them to give up their lives and everything in it. For them to find a small niche of the world where no one knew them, a place where they could live in unhindered harmony.

It was an interesting, if not idyllic vision she created. Hope sprang eternal, and her heart was up-welling with it.

It was, perhaps, two to three seconds of trembling against her body. Nothing was said from him, and nothing needed to be... she brushed the last kiss against the outter edge of his ear.

He shot back up, suddenly, eyes now filled like a blizzard over the whites with black Saa. His lips curled into a look of disgust, and hate. The voice was Ayreg's -- the air in his lungs, and his vocal cords -- but there's an accent now that seemed implacable, and the hateful glares in his eyes was not like how Jodiah Ayreg looked upon the nymph at all.

Somewhere in his own skull, Jodiah Ayreg was stunned into silence. He tried to speak -- he heard his words -- but they seemed hollow, and not at all through his ears. He moved his hand, or tried to, and yet it didn't move. He was a prisoner in his own body; control supplanted to another force.

Am'thyst? What is happening?

Focused as she was in this, she missed the initial changes in him. Until his head shot up and his eyes were a foreign thing and no longer the brilliant green of her memory. His undisguised abhorrence was a stab into her heart. How could he look at her that way after what they?d shared? Her thoughts were scattered like leaves on a breeze. ?Jodia--.?

Am'thyst!

She lifted a hand to touch his face but her words were cut off by the hand clutching at her throat. It was a grip like iron-bound steel around the nymph's neck. This was no lover's game of asphyxiation, though. "You have distracted our hound for long enough, little girl!"

Am'thyst! Am'thyst-- NO!!

She blinked in alarm, a lack of understanding clear on her exertion and sweat touched face. His words made no sense. Panic filtered through her and adrenaline spiked through her blood. Her fingers curled around his hand, and she tried to curl his fingers away. When she made no headway that way, she writhed and bucked beneath him. She could feel strain in her face and around her eyes. She needed to breathe; She longed to breathe.

Her fragile shell demanded it.

Let her go! Release her! Do it now!

Beneath his hand, her throat bruised, and the sounds she made, though shrill, lacked volume and weight.

"Do you see, Jodiah Ayreg? Look at the consequences of growing soft in the eyes of the Nihil. This is only the beginning, worm! Watch as this pathetic little female dies, and by your own hand." He cackled maniacally, then, and his grip was like frozen rock around her throat. It tightened, ever still, squeezing shut any chance she had of gaining a breath. He leaned down over her, close to her face now as he watched her eyes roll up into her head, and he licked her face lewdly. "So tasty. If only you had used her as I would have, Ayreg. Do not forget your place again. As for you, girl... "

I'll kill you! When I find out who you are, I'll KILL YOU! Do you hear me!? Let her go!!

Lantern-like eyes rounded in terror. He released her throat then. Bile bubbled upward and stung her throat and mouth with the suddenly release, and like a great gaping fish she hungrily gulped at the air.

It felt like she was swallowing a stone.

Renewed, she clawed at his hand breaking one of her nails against his grip as she tried to worry her fingers between his hand and her throat. Drawing up one of her legs, Amthy tried to fit her heel in against the front of his hip. The bottom of her foot slid and slipped off of his wiry torso denying her the contact to kick him away from her.

Her vision swam and her head felt fuzzy with the sharp pinch of a headache. It happened so quickly. Before the thought to escape could be fully realized and acted on, her head snapped to the side. The same hand that had been choking her now smacked her roughly across the face. Amthy bit her tongue and the inside of her cheek cut on her teeth.

And then he hit her again, with the back of that same hand, and she yelped -- her voice whiskey-toned and full of gravel; the sound couldn't have been more than an asthmatic wheeze.

He sneered at her, and the hand dropped once more to return its fierce grip of her throat. "Oh, give me three days alone with you and I'd have you knowing your role in life, girl. A pity I feel him trying to claw his way back..."

Stop it! Release her, now, or face my wrath! Am'thyst!!

His hand twisted, turning her head slightly as he examined the color draining from her face. Purples and blues and greens were flaring out from his fingers, and the trimmed nails on the death knight's hand bit into her skin in a cruel sort of manner. "...You will die. Now."

NO!!

Her vision began to narrow, and around her eyes the telltale mask began to show as the flesh darkened with broken blood vessels. Her movements beneath him floundered, and she began to still.

She didn?t have the strength in her, she knew, to ward him off.

Her bond had neglected her for far too long, and she was as close to human at that moment as she was ever going to be. There was no magic for her to summon--though she tried to call for it.

There was no way for her to escape.

So many things whirled through her mind; half-formed ideas and regret at all the things left undone. He licked at her face, and she was repulsed. She hit her hands against his face, but it was a weak, scattered brush of her fingers against Jodiah?s skin. She didn?t even have the focus left to scratch.

It wasn?t supposed to happen that way.

There had to be more.

This couldn?t be it!

But it was.

Her lips moved in the barest suggestion of a word; A pursing of lips that could have been anything, but ended up being nothing at all. Her vision dimmed completely as she lost consciousness.

It was only a matter of time beyond that, that the life would be snuffed from her shell completely....

Lord Ayreg

Date: 2006-05-08 00:50 EST
(Song lyrics shamelessly used is "Who You'd Be Today", by Kenny Chesney)

Sunny days seem to hurt the most

Alot of things could have happened. Jodiah Ayreg could have regained control. He could have stopped it. He could have let her go. He could have held her close.

I wear the pain like a heavy coat

A hero could have come up, leaping off of his white stallion. Sword drawn, banner flying. Charging into battle to engage the death knight, and so win the fair nymph's heart.

I feel you everywhere I go

A God could have taken notice of the scene, and smited the death knight where he was. Flung his body and soul into the deepest, darkest pits of Oblivion.

I see your smile, I see your face

She could have found power. An unrestrained surge of strength that rose, screaming that she refused to give in. Refused to die. That she should cling to the passion, and joy, and love that so enriched her life.

I hear you laughing in the rain

Garen Corlagon could have been waylaid by legionnaires, distracting him and preventing him from keeping hold of the death knight's body. He would have been able to release her, then, and nourish her back to life. They could have went off together. A little corner of nowhere, where no one knew them. A retirement, as it were, living his life in the splendid love of the nymph.. until the end of his days. He could have farmed to sustain them when they needed it. He could have cherished her. Could have loved her.

Still can't believe your gone

None of it happened.

It's not fair you died too young

He did regain control of his body... but it was too late. Jodiah Ayreg stared, wordlessly, for what seemed like an eternity, holding the nymph close to him.

Like a story that had just begun

Her hair was damp from the shower she had taken. Damp from the ambiance of the pool they had bathed in. Damp from his tears falling onto those short locks atop her head.

But death tore the pages all away

Here, where she made her home.. such an honor it was for her to invite him here -- even under the guise she made it to appear as. Here she would rest. He laid her down into the grass, and covered her body with his shirt. It would keep her warm, he assured himself. She'd need it, when the sun set. When he wouldn't be here for her anymore.

God knows how I'll miss you

A length of dark purple ribbon... something of hers. He took it. He was there when she bought it, as they walked and talked, and held hands, and held each other. It would be knotted around his arm, now, for as long as the mark she left upon him remained.

All the hell that I'll go through...

Am'thyst Oak was dead.