Topic: The Origins of Duel of Fists - April 1996

Panther

Date: 2006-06-20 21:08 EST
OOC Comments From It's Creator

The FFGF sport, Duel of Swords, was started shortly after I started coming to the Red Dragon Inn in 1992. My character, BlkPanther, became a very active participant, but never achieved a very high rank. (I like to think this was because of my characters preference for hand to hand fighting vs weapons ;). I was soon hired as an RDI to call Duel of Swords, and later moved on to hosting in the Red Dragon Inn.

As I became more and more involved in the forum, I started putting more and more thought into a hand to hand combat game. With the help of the player behind KaraKane, we sat down with the Duel of Swords Matrix and tried to come up with some viable moves to fit the hand to hand situations. Soon after, SieraRed defeated JadeOne in the first exhibition match.

Duel of Fists enjoyed a small, but dedicated following in it's initial months, but it was apparent that something needed to be changed. The original matrix was scrapped, and a new one was built from the ground up. With it's four types of punches, four types of kicks, and six defensive moves, as well as the changing feint into a modifier similar in use as a fancy, it was able to retain the easy to learn beginnings that Duel of Swords had defined, but added a whole new dimension that helped define it as being different than Duel of Swords.

The changes seemed to put the game on the right track, for it's following kept growing. RDI Jake soon joined the staff as Duel of Fists expanded to a second night, and has been a major force in it's growth since then. There have been a few minor changes as the game has grown and evolved, and as other forum duties have kept me busy, Jake, with the help of RDI Percy, and of course the players, has led Duel of Fists into an era of great popularity, and worked to expand it's presence in the forum.

So come on by the Outback sometime and check us out.