Topic: 2011 RhyDin Gubernatorial Election

Waterhouse Accounting

Date: 2011-04-25 16:56 EST
Citizens of RhyDin,

For the third consecutive year Waterhouse Accounting Firm is proud to act as the independent advisory committee for the election of your city's Governor. As ever we take great pride in your continued trust, and we are pleased to assist in organizing the election that will allow you to pick who will lead this city for the 2011-2012 term!

We have put together the following timeline for the 2011 election: - Candidates must announce their intention to run by May 4, 11:59 RST. - If necessary a primary to reduce the pool of candidates will occur May 7-9. - The tentative date for a live public debate is May 14, with further details forthcoming. Participation is not required, but it is strongly encouraged. - The election will be held on May 19-21.

Good luck to all the candidates!

((RST is based on Eastern Time. Everyone is welcome to participate, but if you and your characters choose not to respect the authority or acknowledge the existence of a governor, that is your right! Please send me a PM confirming your nomination, and I encourage you to make a post in this thread or on this board announcing your character's candidacy as well. Thank you, and enjoy!))

Dyarhk

Date: 2011-04-26 13:16 EST
The primary order arrived through the mail finely penned and finely sealed with wax and wide colorful ribbon. Inside it read plans of a man's intended candidacy.

"Rhy'Din is in long need of an unabashed, unafraid governor who will put its citizens first and foremost towards a higher quality of life.

As governor, I will offer ears unlike any other Rhy'Din has ever seen before; ears that both hear and understand your needs and concerns.

"My creed is and has always been that the people will always need the sword, so long as he who is willing to swing it for them does so with just and fairness. I am that man."

Dyarhk, The Palliator

Topics expected to be addressed at the Debate and additional seminars this week and next: "There is nothing I desire more at this critical junction in my life than to see that the citizens of Rhy'Din and its neighbouring allies reach a new time of peace and prosperity; one that is capable of cleansing our foul streets in WestEnd, and shining a light that has never before been powerful enough to cast out the abundance of shadow and crime that overfloweth our fair city, until now.

"Let us put an end to all the needless suffering going on, and face these very real issues of poverty and disparity. One of my first moves of office if elected will be to provide housing for over two-thousand Rhy'Din refugees that cannot seem to acquire the help of their legislature. A single shelterless child is one too many, and I see hundreds of them every day.

"Senior laws have dictated that the jurisdiction of such a mass quantity of war refugees fall under no apparent coverage or recompense. Who then is going to help our fellow countrymen" Because of these outdated and ignorant laws, women and children are being forced to live off whatever donations they can receive at this point. This cannot happen people; and rest assured, I will work expediently to pass a new bill that protects our citizens from further abandonment whose homes happened to be met by unpredictable disaster."

See: The Governor Rhy'Din Needs, But Not the One It Wants

Lucy Ravenlock

Date: 2011-04-27 19:45 EST
Scattering all across Rhy'Din at the peak time of commuting between work and school to home, many Elfin children dressed in pretty floral pattened silks and simple sandals, rushed to their various predetermined locations as to deliver the message to the entireity of Rhy'Din of Lucy's intentions to run for the 2011 election.

They laughed and smile amongst themselves as they passed by, speaking in a strange dialect of Elven not quite known in this land, clutching an opal the size of an adult's fist between two tiny hands.

"Excuse us!" The children cried out, smiling innocently, "We beg your pardon but please listen to this message from one of the candidates for the next election....Thank you!"

As they fell into silence, almost in complete unison all across the city, they slowly lifted their hands out in front of them, presenting the opal to crowds and strangers alike, as it hummed into life.

The opal bled into the dazzling glow of an intense ruby, leaking a mystical blue colours vapour that swirled and the children, before accumilating just to the side " creating a spectral coloured image of the candidate herself. A holoprojection if you will.

Dressed similiarly to the children, Lucy lifted her bowed head, allowing the blonde curling tresses to flow back from her face during that movement. Deep red eyes blinked slowly, as the young woman found a dazzling smile to form across her lips.

Her voice came out loud and clear. As if she was standing right there all along.

"Greetings, Rhy'Din. Allow me to introduce myself. My name, is Lueretta Ravenlock Egorwrath..." Slowly, the image of Lucy offered out her hands, as if ready to embrace all in front of her, "....These children, are all casulties of war. I know it's hard to see, but, can't see you their smiling faces" They do this out of their own free will for an act that means little next to nothing for them. Why' These children are from my homeland. A land with nothing but war, and death. But there is still happiness to be made. If tapped, even the worst of situations, can bring a smiling face with the right action."

"That is what I hope to bring to my position. Smiling faces. Like my Father....My only, real Father, Brian Ravenlock has taught me one thing. Family is everything. And if my Mother. My only, real Mother, Charlotte Ravenlock, has taught me anything, is that grasping onto that love " that ambition, is the only true feeling any one person should ever have..."

She wiped a tear away, "Excuse me, but, that is just a single fragment of running for a position of importance. One must be ready to react accordingly. Attacks on the citizens must be dealt with swift justice, and as such, the moment an act arises, I wish to create a strike force that is dedicated to countering such situations, with the minimal loss of life incured. Simple policing from the Watch, is not enough. We need a team, willing, to do what is nesseccery for the good of the people. Wolvinator. Why are you not here, giving this speech with your advanced technology?"

"Business. It is what drives the economy forward. Without such businesses gold cannot come into the city. Without the credits " the gold " the act of trade, wealth cannot expand. I want to implement a scheme where smaller businesses are given a chance to shine. I want to invest in people's dreams " desires " to run their own holding. I want to create jobs, I want to show the people of the city that there is a life worth living for. A life they want. For this end, Alain DeMuer, I call you out knowing full well you are more than capable of running for this position. Why are you not here?"

"To this end, I don't just want to run for the election. I don't want to win and sit back, smile, nod, and feel good about myself. I want " no, no I don't want. You want someone to listen. From the smallest request. To the biggest problem."

"I don't want to be the figure head of the city. I don't want to rule this city. I want to bring people together. I want everyone to speak through me, so that problems can be addressed. And fixed."

Lucy bowed her head, "This is a short introduction to my dreams. Please call me Lucy, and I hope you consider me for the elections."

Sulissurn

Date: 2011-04-27 21:02 EST
It started as a small murmur at the back of a growing, lingering crowd that pressed about trying to catch sight of anything that might be fodder for gossip. Gathered about a gaggle of disgusting little surface elves using unnatural magic that made her shoulders itch, Suliss'urn thrusting her way into the crowd caused a minimal of stirrings at first. Those who idly turned their heads, faces distorted in annoyance who might have uttered something to the short female who barged her way through either went snow-pale, eyes wide with fear and loathing—scattering out of her way instantaneously, or they moved aside with intense curiosity, respect...and perhaps something more. Given the fact the female wore her usual wear-softened leather and tick-tock slunk as easy as a shark through minnow-strewn waters, helped. Several turned away from the speech ongoing from strange, magical means to wide-eye watch the drow until she could no longer be seen.

Eventually the crowd that had been clustered outside of one of the many Waterhouse accounting offices had originally been a round moon of babbling interest; now however, it had shifted, split right down clear the middle without a single soul as Suliss'urn ate up the cobble stone, commandeered the steps in bare feet and barged through the doors with little more than a golden-eyed flat look as she passed. A few short words were passed, mostly hissing from her and perhaps a little concerned and brusque by whomever guarded the interior. It didn't take long for one of the men to give a small sigh and a resigned look, letting the drow in further.

Any desk would do. Some hapless woman at the front now doubt had to stare down a set of wolf-sharp, tilted eyes across a desk she possibly felt had grown too short betwixt them.

In her hand, a piece of yellowed, rolled up parchment was slammed firmly onto the desk, rattling a few bits and baubles gathered therein.

"I am a candidate," rasped. There was no 'intention,' mentioned.

Within the rolled up piece of paper—soon to be found in the filthy hands of whores in whore houses, broken nailed grasp of sticky fingered orphans, fists bloodied and beaten in behind ale-stinking bars, along the salt-coated shady docks and behind alleyways coated in unmentionable subjects—this was written:

Chaos & Disorder "Yes we can—but shouldn't." "Hope" Change" Chaotic evil. That enough change for you?" "Rhydin: We already have 50000 Kings and 10000 Princess. What do we need a Governor for?"

????????"

Bannana. Truncheon. Rabbits. Blue.

As you can see, like the other candidates, I too can spew useless words that mean nothing to you—you who have been living in this realm, surviving and protecting what is yours without any help for as long as time can remember.

This government is a farce, this election a joke. Rhydin takes care of its own.

Vote for Suliss'urn. I will leave your sh*t alone.

Rhydin: We're doing just fine, thanks.

Uhh

Date: 2011-04-28 02:27 EST
As with all things that little grave robber does, her current goal makes absolutely no sense. Her bid comes in the form of a letter that is crayon scribbled on the back of a flier from some pizza joint on Earth. It's neatly wrapped around a brick which she "accidentally" tosses through a window. "Howdy! My name is Cuyler Quinn and I think I'd be one hella awesome governor. I ain't gonna let my mouth write checks that my freckled rear ain't gonna cash. I'm gonna give it to ya and I'm gonna give it to ya straight. I'm runnin' 'cause I wanna champion for the underdog. The misplaced, the strays and the so-called "filth" of this place. As a criminal myself, I can't see anyway of bringin' some sort of organized justice to Rhydin. True story. Even the current police force knows it's a failure and if it don't then I think someone might wanna wake up and smell the frickin' roses.

How many times do we hear people laughin' at those that have been plucked up from their homes and brought here against their will" Instead of helpin', people make fun and I think it's about time that we realize that a good majority of the people in this joint ain't originally from here. If I'm elected governor, I'll try to help these guys out. Cut 'em some slack. Same goes for those that ain't got no home, those kids that eat outta trashcans and sleep in alleyways. Thing is, it ain't just kids but everyone around here seems to be blinded by the fact that homelessness in Rhydin don't just effect the tots.

And how about the criminals, yeah' People is so quick to label the pickpockets and the murderers as nothin' more than filth when in reality I don't know of a single person 'round here that don't got at least one skeleton in their closet. Again if I'm elected I can't promise to eradicate (big word, huh") crime, but I can at least promise you that I will do everything in my power to try and help the individuals turn their lives around. We all want a safer Rhydin, right' Sure as Sunny Rodrigus ain't gonna happen overnight.

I ain't the most articulate sombitch to ever walk shoe leather, but I can promise that if I'm elected I'll be fair and all that jazz. Not just to the bigwigs and the holier than thou types either. I'm talkin' 'bout everyone. Rhydin is such an awesome place and, alls told I think it could be even awesome..awesome..awesomermermer..uhh...if we all work together and get someone in office that knows both sides of the coin.

And if all else fails I'm votin' for the hot Drow chick. Natch.

Sinceridearily

-Cuyler Quinn."

FioHelston

Date: 2011-05-03 14:28 EST
The following brief statement was issued on the morning of May 3rd after a notice of intent for candidacy was filed with the election officials.

PRESS RELEASE 03 May RSY2011

Fionna Helston al Amat has declared her intent to run for the position of Governor of RhyDin for the 2011 election year. With the declaration of candidacy, the following statement was provided by the candidate.

Good morning. My name is Fionna Helston al Amat, and I would like to be your governor.

I am stepping forward because I believe what is needed right now in this election is a voice of reason. Other candidates have cited nonexistent laws preventing aid to refugees to appeal to your fears. They have declared the intent to create special governmental strike forces to retaliate against unspecified attacks against citizens. They have said that the homeless and orphaned in this city are going without aid or attention, that newcomers to the city are laughed at and scorned. I have heard the entirety of WestEnd " the place where I and many others of you live and work " categorized as foul and in need of cleansing. These things are not true.

Initiative. Self-determination. Diversity. Vitality.

I can say words, too. I think these words mean something. I think that they describe RhyDin and its citizens.

The office of Governor is not meaningless. It is not a farce. But neither is it a vehicle to further the individual agendas of candidates whose primary interests lie in other lands or in acquiring personal gain. It is not a hammer to wield over the citizens of this place. The office of Governor, as it was originally created, was not to rule and to control, but to aid and to guide.

As your governor, my goal is simple: To make the government unobtrusive in the personal lives of its citizens, so that individuals and businesses can continue to thrive, and to provide opportunities for us to come together to solve the challenges that face us all.

Lucy Ravenlock

Date: 2011-05-03 15:43 EST
As the children scattered with their opal-emitters of holographic insinuation, so did the speech to come.

"I want to address the previous candidates movement."

A bowed head drooped, "It seems my rival considers to the whole of our city as the West End. That they are foul mouthed. She states this is not true, but I beg to differ her intentions to you. She claims the West End, or, shall I dare say, assumes such an area less better off than the rest' Or is it she thinks she can assume sympathy' No. My previous statement was simple. I don't care about prejudice of areas. Rhy'Din City, is a totality of all walks of life."

"....There is no law in this place. Only people who make them. So what if we all want someone to create a force to help the innocent' To prevent deaths" The previous honourable mentioned her intentions, but I say this.

"Your initiative is to self preserve your own campaign against a diversity that will seek to end your vitality."

Lucy bowed her head slowly. "If you seek to become unobtrusive, I hope to see you vote in a 'No Confidence.'"

MissKate

Date: 2011-05-03 17:37 EST
The papers were sent to the Election Board and filed.

The statement that was released was brief:

My friends, yes I'm running for Governor. I've lived in Rhy Din for a while, I've lived off world, I've even lived in Infinity City and Earth. Each place has it's own character and strength but it's Rhy Din that I keep returning to.

There is a determination, strength of will, and belief in one's self here that never seems to falter or fail. Weather you're from the WestEnd, the City Center, the outlying areas, or the Stars End Sector, Rhy Dinians all have ideas and scheme's to change things. At times those things make the city a better place and other times it either backfires and causes harm or is meant to cause harm to citizens. However we all come together and conquer.

My goal as Governor is to help as much as I am able. Many of the citizens here find themselves thrust into our fair city from places far and wide, yet there is no acclimation or assistance program for them. We are a diverse people and there are many out there who could and would help.

We also must take back our economy from those off world and absent corporations that have no care or interest in the welfare or well being of those who live and work here. How many times has a corporation that has no one living here, no one overseeing the factories or shops that are opened, and no idea how to connect to those who live here, fail and just take off, leaving behind empty warehouses and shops, and people who once had a job but are now tossed to the side as if they were nothing.

Rhy Dinians aren't lacking, each one of us has a talent and if given the opportunity I believe that our home grown corporations could help this city and it's people thrive.

Thank you for your consideration.

Kate

Sulissurn

Date: 2011-05-03 22:35 EST
The reporters caught her bare-foot stalking from the Beltane grounds on the evening of the Fires. Luckily, her hands were now bereft of the campaign posters featuring Suliss' and the 'Chaos & Disorder,' slogan. The flash of the cameras were annoying and the small, round metal disc with unblinking eye that floated around her head gave rise to the urge to bat at it. She did naut.

"Suliss'urn!" Cried one male, pale and scrawny, who held a stick with a round piece of foam at the end of it. "Suliss'urn, several new candidates have announced their running in the gubernatorial election, all of them female. What do you have to say about that?"

The drow stared askance at the male a moment. Perhaps he didn't read his sourcebook on dark elves lately. "Good," the drow grunted. If anyone could run this mess, it'd be a woman. Infinitely more capable of taking charge, multi-tasking, and doing what she needed to do to get her shx! done.

"Is it true—" Another reporter yelled over the sudden flash mob of them, "—that you've murdered countless other drow" And maybe children" Do you honestly think people will vote for you?"

A flicker of a red-red tongue as she licked her lips. Now, she just seemed amused. "I am naut asking people to vote for me, but for the ideal which I represent—every election, we have candidate show up—xas" Very hopefully. Very pretty. Smile big and wrinkle brow on queue to look concerned. They say how the other opponent make mistake in saying this and that, and then say what the other opponent said...Only from their mouths.

"And they expect us to believe them. Maybe they start out with good intentions, xas" They get in office and then they claim they do all sorts of grand and wonderful things.

"Only they see the change. The rest of Rhydin sees pretty posters and another fire-fly passing in the night. Voting for me will naut change anything. It is naut my place to change anything—it is the people's. Voting for me votes for the way things have always been. What does it matter who stands here to deliver the same words I do?"

She meant to shove off and roll out in her terribly slither-slick means, but one reporter—fresh faced with brunette curls pinned from her face leapt forward in her way.

"Is it true—" she nearly yelped. She'd heard the stories about the drows legendary temper and also penchant to doing unexpected things. So the thought she could be killed or embraced at any moment didn't tarry far from the young reporters" thoughts, "—that you are acquainted with Fionna Helston al Amat' Rumors say that the two of you are friends, is that also true" Did you know about her running and what do you think of it?"

That had Suliss'urn pause a moment, half-caught with her torso twisted to follow the pathway out of the Glen and into the city proper. Her head tipped and then swung snake-wobbling to fix the reported with high-pitched fear in her voice with a bright, gollum-yellow eyed glare.

The entire crowd of reporters sort of collectively took a breath inward and stepped back unconsciously.

"If you do naut vote for me—" Suliss'urn began, in a tone that incredibly might have been pensive, "—then vote for her."

This caused an explosion of frenzied questions, including the original reporters insistence that Suliss' answer the question about Fionna, another surmising and asking if the two of them were in 'cahoots' with one another to rig the election, and a third asking if it was true that Suliss' and Fio were madly and secretly in love with one another—

She'd made the slip in the dizzying snaps, flairs, flashes of cameras and none of them had captured the precise moment when the drow had disappeared.

Waterhouse Accounting

Date: 2011-05-05 00:56 EST
Nominations for candidacy for the 2011 gubernatorial election are now closed! Citizens of RhyDin, one of these people could be YOUR next governor. A primary to reduce the pool of candidates should be beginning on May 7th until the 9th, with further details forthcoming. Congratulations and good luck to all the candidates!

- Dyarhk - Cuyler Quinn - Corlanthis Wystansayr - Kate - Lucy Ravenlock - Suliss'urn Xukuth - Fionna Helston al Amat - Matthew Simon - Dawn Shadowsbane-Karos