Topic: 2013 RhyDin Gubernatorial Debate Log

Malibu Barbie

Date: 2013-06-10 09:01 EST
Malibu Barbie The Great Hall tonight had been arranged like a semi-circular amphitheater, with a stage and podium front and center, while seating for the audience was arranged on a series of risers that gave everyone a good view of the action.

Malibu Barbie On a small stage of her own, a round, inlaid table set up with a microphone sized for the diminutive emcee, Barbie stood waiting and tapping a little pink heel.

Goldglo ::from behind the scenes, he made his way to the spot designated for him by Waterhouse representatives::

Rekah Illyriana She didn't bother with the door, however the doorway did open up right behind the curtains. Rekah flailed and the curtains fluttered before she managed to untangle and step into room with a jar of buttons tucked up under one arm and a case of cupcakes up under the other.

Malibu Barbie "About goddamn time," the little icon muttered before one of the stagehands had a fit and came fluttering over gesturing silently.

Malibu Barbie "What' Stop flapping at me! Forget your Ritalin or — what? Oh, this thing is on' Well crap." She cleared her throat.

Rekah Illyriana She waggled her fingers in a hello to Brian and grinned as she went to go take a seat. The buttons and cupcakes were set down on a nearby table. She pointed at them. "Stay."

Malibu Barbie She cleared her throat again, and the assistant stepped back out of the way, Taking a great big breath, Barbie strutted up to the front of her mini-stage. "Good evening, ladies, gentlemen and beings of questionable gender and/or states of existence."

Malibu Barbie She tapped the mic again with the flat of her hand. Thump Thump "Are you sure this thing is on?" There it was. "Oh, good. Ahem. Goodevening, everyone."

Goldglo ::he glanced out over the crowd, smiling at some before turning his attention to the moderator::

Malibu Barbie "Welcome to the Two-Thousand and Thirteen RhyDin Gubernatorial Debate, starring ME! Barbie!" She flung her arms wide to accept applause.

Rekah Illyriana Rekah turned around and waved at growing crowd. She reeled in the kisses and saved those for after the debate. Then she clapped for Barbie.

Malibu Barbie "Tonight, I am happy to be able to grill, poke, harass and heckle the two individuals who managed to last this long in the governor's race - and oh, what a race it's been. SNORE. Am I right?"

Malibu Barbie "So we're going to try to make sense of this whole election and find out who's fit for the job. In our first corner," she pointed dramatically, "Weighing in at 164 pounds, the Gray Bomber, the man with the pecs that won't stop, mister Fight Me I'm Old himself, Matthew Simon!"

Goldglo ::he gave a nod and smile to Rekah while Barbie set the evening up::

Rekah Illyriana She grinned at Matt and gave him an upnod with a thumbs up. Then she slid over to the cupcakes and helped herself to one.

Goldglo :;raising a hand to the crowd at his introduction::

Malibu Barbie "And in the other corner, weighing twenty pounds more than she should after those babies, but hey, don't judge her by her bootie! It's the silent - the kooky - the cute-as-a button cupcake eater herself, Rekah Silverblades!"

Rekah Illyriana Or two. She loved cupcakes.

Malibu Barbie "Now, before we get started, here are the ground rules."

Rekah Illyriana She'd just stuffed a cupcake in her mouth, but still managed to wave and smile with chipmunk cheeks at the crowd.

Malibu Barbie "I will ask the questions. You will answer them. If any members of the audience have any questions they would like to ask, they can give them to one of my assistants, who will whisper them in my ear so I don't get bored while the candidates are talking."

Malibu Barbie "Next - this is an intercession-free debate." She cleared her throat primly, with a sly little grin. "No appealing to the governor, who I see in the audience, to answer for you."

Rekah Illyriana She was staring unblinking at Barbie.

Malibu Barbie "Third, if either one of you plans to drop out before the votes are counted or the debate is over, will you puh-lease do me a solid and just get it over with now so I can go home and catch up on my stories?"

Malibu Barbie "Going.....Going..." She looked at both of them expectantly.

Goldglo ::he didn't plan on withdrawing from the election, and answered as much::

Rekah Illyriana "Nope! "

Malibu Barbie Sighing audibly, she continued. "Very well. Then we will begin. For this question, Matt Simon will answer first, and then Ms. Silverblades. "

Malibu Barbie "This is a question that was submitted by a blue-haired member of the press who couldn't be here tonight. It is not as fabulous as the question I will ask later from the pink-haired member of the press who couldn't be here tonight."

Rekah Illyriana "Call me Rekah!"

Malibu Barbie She smiled at Rekah, "Sure thing, Ishmael!"

Rekah Illyriana She bounced on her toes and waited.

Malibu Barbie Clearing her throat, she read the little slip of paper on her podium. "Okay. If elected, what assistance do you plan to provide for RhyDin's critically endangered species, especially those under constant threat, such as liontaurs?" She stared at Matt.

Rekah Illyriana She just smiled brightly and listened.

Goldglo ::he nodded to Barbie with a smile:: Thanks to the blue-haired member of the press for this question. First off, I'm unaware of a list containing, as was mentioned, critically endangered species. Linotaurs, humans, dwarves, elves and the litany of other species that comprise the great population of this city should all be treated on equal footing.

Goldglo Individually, within every species, there are those " to borrow the proverbial phrase " bad apples that attempt to spoil the whole barrel. But we cannot judge an entire species on the actions of a few. However, specifically to the question, for those species who are under constant threat or critically endangered,

Goldglo I would first investigate the reasons behind those threats and the whys behind the danger. Only once we understand the root cause can we begin to effectively combat it and rectify it.

Goldglo ::after answering, he took a sip of water from the provided glass::

Malibu Barbie "Thank you, Mister Simon. Ms. Rekah' Would you like me to repeat the question?"

Rekah Illyriana "Nope! What should be done about endangered species" Got it...Okay. It's pretty simple. You get them to make babies. So, if there's just a boy. You find them a girl. And if there's just a girl. You find them a boy. And if there's other things going on like over hunting...You just don't allow hunting of that species. Or you don't stomp all over where they live. The end."

Malibu Barbie She blinked wide blue eyes at her. "Well. Bow-chicka. Thank you, Ishmael."

Malibu Barbie "For our next question, I'll ask Rekah to speak first, then Matt. The question is: If you are elected Governor, will you continue with the current advisort council or set up some other form of advisory council or cabinet system?"

Rekah Illyriana "I like advisors. And I like cabinets. I think it's important to talk about important things with friends. You get to hear all sorts of ideas, like how to bake a better cupcake. Or how to you know keep the street lights from going out at three o'clock in the morning. There's a lot of great ideas that I don't have. So, I'd keep the council and probably have teams to work through issues. Make them work together and with me!"

Malibu Barbie "Thank you, Rekah. And Matt' Your plans?"

Goldglo I will continue with the Council-outline which originated under the most recent Governor Helston. I believe the Council has merit and allows the Governor insight into areas and topics of which others have far more expertise than I. ::a wry grin crossed his face:: Look, folks, I don't know everything " I don't automatically have all the answers nor do I expect to. The Council, in my experience, has been of benefit regardless of who agreed or disagreed with whom and I see no reason to

Goldglo discontinue it.

Malibu Barbie "Thank you both. For our next question, we will begin with Matt, and then move on to Rekah. And to make things fun, after that, we will allow each candidate a couple of minutes to speak to their opponent's remarks."

Malibu Barbie "It's a two-parter. What do you believe is the greatest current threat to the security of this city, and what will you do to address that problem if you are elected governor. Mister Simon?"

Goldglo Wow, that's a great question. The greatest current threat"::he paused for a moment, thinking:: You know, I think the greatest threat we face is allowing ourselves to lose the momentum of the past handful of years. We've made a lot of strides as a city. Are we where we want to be, where we can be by working together"

Goldglo " No, we're not, but we're well on our way. Greatest danger" Allowing ourselves to slip back, to retreat, to lose the ground we've gained. The Governor plays a part in that, sure, but so does each and every one of you.

Goldglo Regardless of who's elected, don't allow yourselves to become complacent. Grow the momentum we've gained, continue to push forward, toward our future! By doing so, we avoid that danger, we circumvent it, and we continue to blossom.

Goldglo As far as what I'll do about it " as I said in my initial candidacy speech, I will keep my focus on that future and our road to it, be it city infrastructure, foreign relations, or the growth of our population. Not to the detriment of the here and now, but in order to ensure that this city and each one of use obtains the future I wholeheartedly believe we all deserve.

Malibu Barbie "Thank you. Rekah, your thoughts" And when you have presented your ideas, I will ask you to respond first to what Mr. Simon just said."

Rekah Illyriana "Well...Wait what? Can I just sort of mash them together" Anyways, I get it. Matt, er Mr. Matt Simon is saying that we shouldn't stop the good that has been done. And we should be build on it! But, you know that's pretty hard to do when the greatest threat to this city is the lack of cooperation and concern for each other, ignoring issues until they explode and then there's a lot of damage done. There's a need for people to be held accountable for their actions and words and lack of pastries

Rekah Illyriana in most of the shops. Right' I know. While I can't make people respect one another. Cause you have to give respect to get it. And-that's just how it goes. I would try to help rebuild that within the community...We all have to trust each other. " She gave Jesse a thumbs up. "It's a lot of work. But, I can do that!"

Malibu Barbie "And do you want to respond to Matt, or did your remarks encompass that?"

Rekah Illyriana "What?"

Rekah Illyriana "Oh sure. Yes."

Rekah Illyriana She squinted at Jesse's sign. "Matt is a turtle. Also: a computer."

Rekah Illyriana "I'm done now."

Malibu Barbie Barbie was Queen of her little domain on the round table, and that meant she had a tumbler of something that wasn't soda sitting there with a stir-stick straw that she took a sip from now, muttering, "fire my agent....not getting paid enough..." slurp.

Goldglo ::he blinked, having not caught Jesse's sign, and mouthed "Turtle?"::

Malibu Barbie "Matt' Any response for Rekah's reponse?"

Goldglo Sure, thank you.

Goldglo ::he turned toward Rekah, speaking to her:: I agree with you. Though I don't believe it's the greatest threat we face, lack of cooperation and concern for one another, lack of trust in and with each other, is a definite threat. Unfortunately, it's one I don't think we'll ever completely resolve. People have different goals, different agendas, and often that blinds them to the greater good.

Goldglo That doesn't mean we should accept it or ignore it or not try and work through those things. We should. I think we'd all be better off if pastries could solve all our problems"believe me. Just ask Koy! I wish they could"but they can't. ::he looked back toward Barbie and the audience::

Goldglo Oh, also, for the record...I'm not a turtle. ::he couldn't help but grin:: Or a computer.

Malibu Barbie "I dunno. I bet I could find a way to push your buttons," she snickered.

Malibu Barbie "Next question!"

Malibu Barbie "This one for Rekah first, then Matt. What is your position on capital punishment for criminals?"

Goldglo Touchy subject, that. Many of you know that I come from a military background and a society where executions, while rare, did take place both in the military and civilian justice systems. I do think that there are some instances, for the most heinous of crimes, where execution is warranted.

Goldglo I also realize that there are many many pitfalls that come with such a system. I'm not saying that I will implement a system of capital punishment here in Rhydin if I'm Governor " indeed, I didn't before and I don't see an absolute need to do so now.

Malibu Barbie She stared at him, china blue eyes wide and unblinking.

Rekah Illyriana Rekah pointed to her jar of campaign buttons-which was just a jar of buttons for shirts. Then she squinted at Jesse's sign. "That doesn't make any sense. How can I have any position on something that isn't done" Pfffft. Besides, if someone is a bad dude or lady they have enough enemies and...Matt you took my turn! And anyways, there's a weird justice in this town...that runs around outside of the bounds of the usual law system."

Goldglo Excuse me...I misheard the moderator on the answering order. I'm sorry, Rekah....::looking at her:: ...everyone.

Rekah Illyriana "You owe me waffles!"

Goldglo Done. For Jasper, too. ::he grinned at her::

Malibu Barbie "All right. A waffle penalty. And if someone can put a little more vodka in this cranberry, I would be super stoked."

Rekah Illyriana "You can only put so much in cranberries. They're little."

Rekah Illyriana "And they don't have lids."

Malibu Barbie "Last question of the evening. Rekah goes first." A pointed look at Matt.

Rekah Illyriana "I am first!"

Goldglo ::he held up his hands in a secondary apology and acknowledgment of the meaning behind Barbie's expression::

Malibu Barbie "Why should people vote for you for Governor instead of your opponent' Why should we be willing to stick ourselves with you for the whole next year?"

Rekah Illyriana "I'm not a turtle!"

Rekah Illyriana "And I have a lot of people who know I'm not a turtle. And that's why I should be the governor for the next year."

Malibu Barbie "Matt Simon' Why should we vote for you?"

Rhiannon Brock ::Rhiannon had stepped out for a bit and when she returned, she held up a box and pointed at it for Rekah as if to ask, "Do you want these, now?"::

Rekah Illyriana If those were waffles, then yes she wanted them now. She leaned forward to see what Rhi was offering up.

Malibu Barbie "You!" She pointed at Rhiannon. "Can you wait until we're done here before you start trying to buy political favors?"

Rhiannon Brock ::She parked the box on the table for Rekah. Syrup packets and butter were inside it along with utensils and napkins. She eyed Barbie:: I'm not buying anything, I'm closing out Rekah's request to my Baron.

Rhiannon Brock ::She returned to her seat::

Goldglo Let's face it, Rekah's likable. ::he looked over the crowd, gesturing toward his opponent:: Most of you, I'd wager, if you don't have a soft spot in your heart for the woman, at least don't begrudge her. Can she inspire you, can she lead you? I know she'll try. But what differentiates myself from Rekah is that I have the experience we need in the here and now. Experience as Governor, as a proud citizen of Rhydin, as someone who's worked with many of you before be it in an

Goldglo official capacity. As many of you know, I've been Governor before and some of you might be expecting more of the same if I'm elected again. And while I'd like to believe I'll build on past successes " not only my own, but those of the other Governors " I'm here to tell you that electing me again won't simply be a repeat of four and five years ago. We're not the same city we were then, I'm not the same man.

Goldglo . I've grown " I'd like to think as have we all " for the better. Electing me to the Governor's seat will not simply mean a re-hashing of my first terms, be it in policy or action. No, on the contrary, the circumstances of today are not what they were before; I recognize that, I embrace that and I am fully prepared to meet the challenges of today head on and with the support and council of citizen representatives, as Governor Helston has wisely done the last two years.

Rekah Illyriana She put her arms up in victory at the breakfast food.

Malibu Barbie "I am probably going to hate myself for asking this, but ....Are there any last questions from the audience before we close out for the evening?"

Rekah Illyriana She stuck her arm up too.

Malibu Barbie An assistant ran up to Spell with a microphone.

Malibu Barbie Another ran to Brian, and a third to Rekah. They could ask in that order.

Malibu Barbie A fourth to Hawk.

Malibu Barbie And a fifth to Ed.

Spell She'd snatch up the microphone and tap it a few times. "Mine question is for both Rakesh and the Old Turtle. Will mine office in city hall be open to me still if one of you win" Also, when is Marvel?"

Goldglo ::gestures for Rekah to take that one first, if she wishes::

Malibu Barbie "Rekah' Then Matt?"

Rekah Illyriana She patiently waited her turn. "You have an office in a cabinet. You can have Steve's office! And Marvel is in May.Marvelous May. I'm not Rakeesh!"

Malibu Barbie "Matt?"

Goldglo Jesse, the office will remain open " contingent upon your good behavior! Which means no trying to blow up the city with mana bombs! And Rekah just answered the Marvel question.

Malibu Barbie The assistant turned on Brian's mic next.

Malibu Barbie "Matt first this time, then Rekah."

Brian Ravenlock Brian had a feeling he knew what Ed would ask, so he went in a different direction. "Right now we have a 'Volunteer' Fire Department, would you push for Government backing to assure EACH district of the city has a properly funded Fire Department, to respond to such incidents, which lately have been quite numerous."

Rekah Illyriana She stared at Matt.

Goldglo Are you equating, for the question, Government backing to monetary backing or another type of support'

Goldglo I'd love to flat out answer yes to this question as far as money goes. Do I personally support the idea" Would I sponsor it, yes! Can the government promise financial backing" Right now, today, Fionna's better poised to answer that than I am. I don't know where we stand financially, what we'd have to shift or possibly take away from elsewhere, to provide that funding. So while right here, today, I cannot promise you funds, I'm not saying no.

Goldglo I like the idea and I really hope it's something I could give a thumbs-up to on day one.

Malibu Barbie "Rekah' Firemen?"

Malibu Barbie Slurp.

Rekah Illyriana "I like them. Public service departments deserve support from their government because of what they do for the community."

Malibu Barbie "Thank you. And I believe you raised your hand to ask a question, as well."

Rekah Illyriana "Okay! Matt, what about your Opal" You got that under control?"

Goldglo ::the question was unexpected and he tilted his head at Rekah:: IceDancer" ::there hadn't been a wave of cold all night, thankfully - at least not from him:: Yes, I believe I do.

Rekah Illyriana She gave Matt a thumbs up.

Malibu Barbie The assistant with the mic for Hawk turned it on. "Next question."

Hawk Jahad He was still confused by the microphone. So he raised his voice initially, so it would carry. No feedback, just a little too loud at first, now he understood what the object was for, aside from looking phallic and being close to his mouth. "I just wanted to ask what each candidates stance was on the slave trade. That is alive and well. To this day."

Malibu Barbie Ed would be next after Hawk.

Malibu Barbie "Rekah will answer the next first, then Matt."

Rekah Illyriana The waffle was getting cold. She made a face and eyed her post-debate food longingly.

Rekah Illyriana "Boooooooo. I hope me and Mr.Matt Simon can agree that slave trade is a bad, bad thing."

Rekah Illyriana Rekah was pouting.

Rekah Illyriana Only because it would be impolite to eat right now.

Malibu Barbie "Is that your answer?" She wasn't sure Rekah was done.

Rekah Illyriana "Yes."

Rekah Illyriana "Can I eat now?"

Malibu Barbie "Matt?"

Goldglo This question seems to come up every debate. The slave trade has been ingrained in this city for a long long time. I wish it was not so. My stance is as it has been. I don't condone slavery. I don't believe in the system. I agree with Rekah that it's, as she says, "a bad bad thing".

Malibu Barbie "And our last candid question of the night goes to that gentleman," pointing to Ed. The assistant clicked on the mic.

Malibu Barbie "Matt first, and then Rekah."

Edward Batten The Playboy stood. "So...since ya bot' agree dat slavery is a bad t'ing...what do ya intend to do 'bout it' 'Cause as far as Ah've seen - and dis statement's not'in' 'gainst you, Fio, ya did a helluva job - ain't not'in' been done 'bout dis 'bad t'ing' in de two or t'ree years Ah've been here."

Edward Batten "Well...not'in' s'far's outlawin' de practice an' enforcin' dat law, anyway."

Goldglo If you're asking whether I'd make slavery an illegal practice in this city " my answer is no. That's not a decision for me, as a lone individual to make. It smacks too much of Proposition 37 " with an individual, or in that case a group, deciding what a certain group of people can or cannot do.

Goldglo I vehemently disagree with the practice of slavery but I will not make targets or martyrs out of those who choose to practice it. Now, similar to the Fair Labor Agreement where business owners banded together, if people and businesses choose not to do business with slavers and make this city non-viable for them from an economic standpoint, I believe that'd go a lot further in bringing about change than the Governor issuing a decree and the city reaping the fallout afterwards.

Malibu Barbie "Rekah?"

Rekah Illyriana "What' What will I do about slave trade" I don't like it. And I know everyone wants me to say I'll outlaw it or something like that' But where do I start' You know? I would need help with coming up with an idea. Because it's all been said or tried before. And, really it sucks that as a city we haven't been able to figure out what to do."

Malibu Barbie "Annnnnd, that looks like a wrap, folks! Thank you to our candidates, and to those of you who came out. They may stay after and answer more questions if they want, but I'm going to go home, have a stiff drink and look for a new agent. Remember to vote, folks! And remember, you can be anything you want to be, just like me! Barbie! Hugs and kisses!"

http://cfc.polyvoreimg.com/cgi/img-set/.sig/nfxyZ7ugrYtfuhznJmqA/cid/85042016/id/8JD-VtpKRBOD2cn0k4NAbA/size/c600x1024.jpg