Topic: 2018 Gubernatorial Debate

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2018-09-02 01:17 EST
The following notice has been posted in various and sundry public places throughout the city.

It's election time, and that means the people of Rhydin get to put their candidates to the test!

Yes, that's right. Debate!

Is there something on your mind" A burning question for the candidates that you need answered before it's time to vote" Do you want to get a better feel for their positions, or just put them on the spot and watch them try to come up with an answer"

Two-time former Governor Ebon Ilnaren will be hosting a gubernatorial debate as we get closer to the polling weekend. Send any and all questions to him and let your voice be heard!

(Date, time, and location of debate still to be determined.)

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2018-09-08 15:16 EST
Flyers have been posted announcing the date for the 2018 gubernatorial debate.

The debate between the candidates for Governor of Rhydin this year will be held at the Town Hall on Saturday, 15 September 2018. The exact time is still to be determined.

There is still plenty of time to submit questions for the candidates! Please send any questions to Ebon Ilnaren. All questions received by Thursday evening will be provided to the candidates so that they might prepare responses.

For those citizens who are unable to attend the debate, it will be broadcast live.

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2018-09-10 22:46 EST
One more announcement has been posted around the city.

The 2018 Gubernatorial Debate will begin at 7 p.m. Rhydin Time.

Candidates will be given 10 minutes apiece for opening statements, then Ebon will ask pre-submitted questions, and then—time permitting—the candidates will take questions from the floor.

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2018-09-10 23:24 EST
((The live debate will be held in the BlaB! chat, and specifically in the Great Hall room there.

https://rdi.dragonsmark.com/live-chat/blab.php

Once you enter the chat, click the Rooms link at the top, then select The Great Hall.))

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2018-09-13 23:37 EST
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/390290116838686722/489893771530469377/10_off.png

If you can't make it to the Town Hall and want to share the experience, you can! The debate will be broadcast live, and a watch party is planned at the Golden Perch Inn!

((The watch party will be held on the Rings of Discord server, in the #golden-perch-inn channel. Attendees may be able to submit questions via social media (PM to Ebon) but note that questions from those in the Town Hall will be given priority.))

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2018-09-16 11:42 EST
Debate Transcrip, part 1 - opening statements

Ebon Ilnaren: "I see that Rhi is here....and somehow I doubt that Sister Cecilia will be making an appearance." Although there was a place at the end for the naughty nun. Ebon Ilnaren: "If the candidates will take their seats, we can begin with opening statements." Pharlen: Such serenity of smiling, she waved to Collie as well, a wiggle of fingers. Then she turned a sadface to Ebon. "Aw. I was looking forward to discussing her views on public facilities and transportation, too." Which one could translate into an abiding desire to experiment with explosive swirlies and the tried and true tying to railroad tracks. But of course, Pharlen would never stoop to such shenanigans. Peter Radcliffe: "Oh," was Peter's intelligent reply. "Hullo, grown-up peoples!" he said, before looking around for his seat. Pharlen: Taking her seat, yes yes. Smiling warmth. Lyneth Granger: Hopefully there was someone there to help the children with their microphones. Possibly to stop them from sharing a chair, as well. Lyneth seemed very clear on the fact that she and Peter was co-running and therefore would only be half a Governor each if they got in. Which meant only taking one seat between the two of them, apparently. Rhiannon Brock: Rhi had her notes in hand as she stood to head for the speakers' table. "You going to besitting up front, a chroi?" Ebon Ilnaren: "Ladies, gentlemen, and others....thank you for coming tonight. I'd like to introduce our candidates....first, we have Lyneth Granger, who is running in a dual ticket with Peter Radcliffe." Peter Radcliffe: As someone fastened Peter's microphone on, the "Ribbet" became that much more distinct. He flourished Lyneth with a bow, indicating she should take a seat first and nearly dropped something from his jacket pocket. Ebon Ilnaren: There are chairs for each candidate, including separate ones for Lyneth and Peter, and the mikes are adjusted to their levels. Lyneth Granger: Lynnie waved happily as her name was declared, thumping onto her half of their chosen chair. "Hullo!" Peter Radcliffe: Peter's head popped up when he heard his name mentioned and he waved, echoing Lyneth's, "Hullo!" Despite there being two chairs, the children seemed to insist on sharing only one of them. Peter Radcliffe: "I'm Peter, and she's Lyneth!" he said, just for good measure, indicating each with a jerk of a thumb. Ebon Ilnaren: "Next we have Rhiannon Brock Túr Gairdín, Rhiannon Brock: "Hello!" Rhi offered a wave. Ebon Ilnaren: He gestured towards Rhi, giving her a moment to wave, "and finally Pharlen is here! As expected, Sister Cecilia will not be gracing us with her presence tonight." Peter Radcliffe: "What does 'gracing us with her presence' mean?" Peter whispered to Lyneth. Lyneth Granger: "The nasty nun got caught bein' really nasty," Lyneth whispered to Peter, every word picked up by her mic and shared with the room. Pharlen: "Pharlen is here," she echoed with a lift of hand and waggle of fingers. Lyneth Granger: "Means she won't be here." Peter Radcliffe: "Oh, good! Peter Radcliffe: "Cause Papa said we don't need no 'ligious fanatics." Lyneth Granger: "Shhh, I'm tryin' to listen to Mr. Ebony." Peter Radcliffe: Peter narrowed his eyes at Lyneth, but quieted. Too bad the frog in his pocket didn't. *Ribbet* Ebon Ilnaren: "We'll start in order of increasing age, so Lyneth, you and Peter go first with opening statements, then Rhi, then Pharlen. Ten minutes max, try to be brief." Lyneth Granger: Lyneth blinked at Collie's gentle admonishment, and slithered onto the seat beside the one she was currently sharing. "Yes, Mrs. Maggie's Gran." Told to present and opening statement, however, resulted in her scrambling to stand on her chair and pull Peter up onto his. "We want to make Rhy'Din fun again." Peter Radcliffe: "I'm older, so you go first," Peter told Lyneth, practically hip bumping her from the chair. Luckily she slithered quicker than he bumped. Peter cleared his throat as he not only moved to his feet but climbed onto the chair so that he could be better seen as heard, as asked. "It's time for us kids to have a chance at bein' gov'nor and making Rhy'Din fun again! The grownups have had enough turns!" Peter Radcliffe: "Is that all?" he asked Lyneth. Lyneth Granger: Holding hands, the two children beamed at the room as Lyneth added, "We've had growed ups as guv'nors for lots of years, and all growed ups do is make decisions that are fun for growed ups. And growed up fun is boring. We're not boring, 'cos we're kids! And, and ....you should vote for us." She nodded, glancing at Peter. "I think it is. I forgot the cards Mummy writ for us." Ebon Ilnaren: Chuckling, Ebon nodded and then pointed to Rhiannon. "Your turn, Rhi." Peter Radcliffe: "Oh, I brought this!" Peter said, reaching into his back pocket and pulling out a rolled up sheet of paper with writing on it in crayon with a list most likely too long to read. "I'll read it later," he whispered to Lyneth as he plopped back down onto his seat. Lyneth Granger: Sitting down cross-legged on her seat, Lyneth giggled at the sight of their list of deman-, uh, promises for office. It was longer than she was tall. But now it was Rhi's turn to speak. Rhiannon Brock: She stood up, glanced at her notes then to those gathered. As Ebon said name is Rhiannon Brock Túr Gairdín. I'm a native born Rhydinian, whether that puts me in better touch with the needs of the citizens than anyone else, I really don't know. What I do know is we're all in it together when it comes to living here. I believe in taking care of the basics first and the rest tends to fall into place. Food, housing, education, health and jobs, those are the building blocks to better lives. I'd like help people have them without a major struggle and will do what I can to spearhead those things. Rhiannon Brock: "That covers it. Keep it simple." She sat back down. Peter Radcliffe: "Are we e'spoused to clap?" Peter whispered to Lyneth. Rhiannon Brock: She winked back to her husband. Lyneth Granger: "Nobody gave us the clap," Lynnie whispered back, shrugging. Ebon Ilnaren: "Very good, Rhi." He blinked when he heard Lyneth trying to whisper past her microphone, then grinned and nodded to Pharlen. "You're up!" Peter Radcliffe: "Then I won't give it to anyone else," Peter said, soberly. Pharlen: "Pharlen VonTombs. I am quite old, and have been here a long while, but those things mean little more than I can amuse historians," she noted as she stood, her smile warm. "The people of Rhydin have always known how to live their lives even when there was governing, what I would propose and see through in a tenure would be making sure that our vast resources are distributed so that everyone can share in them. To see that there is a fertile ground for everyone to find success and protection alike." Lyneth Granger: "Is fertile like what happens when you eat beans?" Lyneth whispered to Peter. Maybe someone should move that microphone away a little. Pharlen: "And yes, simple is always best," she added, abstractedly smacking at her hip to shut her phone up. Peter Radcliffe: Peter nodded. "Papa is always fertile when he eats brocc'li, too!" Peter Radcliffe: They really weren't trying to be rude, but they were just kids, after all. Rhiannon Brock: Rhi stifled a giggle at the kids' definition of fertile.

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2018-09-16 11:43 EST
Debate transcript, part 2 - On stances, fertility, and Steve Armstrong

Ebon Ilnaren: "Thank you all," he said, somehow maintaining a straight face. "Now it's time for questions. First one....what do you consider to be your greatest stance or position for your platform' Once again we'll go in age order, so Lyneth and Peter, then Rhi, then Pharlen." Lyneth Granger: "I didn't bring him, but my big brother is a werewolf, and he'd let me stand on him, and that's a good position," Lyneth offered, and assumed a strong-man pose, flexing skinny little arms as she thrust out her chest. "I like this stance, too." Pharlen: Quirking an ivory brow, she adjusted her glasses. "Works for me," she murmured drolly. After all, it did answer the question. Peter Radcliffe: Stance or position for their platform' Peter blinked before choosing his answer. "I like flyin' best. Do you wanna see my form?" he asked, climbing onto his chair again and lifting a few feet into the air. "Anyone's kids who votes for us gets to learn how to fly. But grownups can't fly 'cause they're too old." And just then, his frog decides to leap out of his jacket pocket and Peter swooped down after him ....or her. "Lucy! Get back here!" Peter Radcliffe: *RIBBET* Peter Radcliffe: Thankfully, "Lucy" only hopped a few hops before Peter retrieved her and reclaimed his seat. Ebon Ilnaren: "I think the questions means, what is your main goal in being Governor?" Peter Radcliffe: "But we already answered that!" Lyneth Granger: Lyneth thumped down onto her own seat, and reached over to pet the frog. She looked up in surprise at having the question reiterated. "To have fun and make the growed ups have fun," she clarified. "And make bigger famblies, because that will be fun too." Peter Radcliffe: "And lots less fertile-ing, too!" Ebon Ilnaren: "Fair enough. Rhi, your answer?" Rhiannon Brock: "Again, keeping things rather simple. Live as you will, but harm you none. As some might say, live and let live. In my opinion, it's not the place of a Governor to be sticking their noses into the lives of consenting parties. If they raising are their children without starving them or otherwise doing them harm, the government should butt out of that, too. I want to help people not destroy what their ancestral heritage has taught them is right." Rhiannon Brock: She nodded to Ebon to indicate that she was finished. Ebon Ilnaren: "Pharlen, what about you?" Pharlen: "Ah. Well. I am certainly done with increasing the size of my family," So very very dry. "I stand on the Balance that this realm is. Without that Balance, bad things begin to happen. As we all know. So that we can continue our lives here in the same delightful madness that it has always been." A flicker of smile tagged with a dimple as she bowed her head, and graciously indicated to Ebon she had finished, yes yes. Ebon Ilnaren: "Excellent answers all around, thank you! Next question..." He raised his eyebrow at what he was reading. "What will you do to finally solve the missing Steve Armstrong case?" Ebon Ilnaren: "Rhi first this time, then Pharlen, then the kids." Ebon Ilnaren: "No guesses as to who submitted that question." Rhiannon Brock: "In order to solve the case of the missing Steve Armstrong, one needs to solve the case of the missing Fionna Helston. I haven't seen her around in some time and I expect that are together." Ebon Ilnaren: "Pharlen?" Pharlen: "Unfortunately, commanding time in RhyDin is a hit or miss proposition. So I can't blythely say I would simply take him from his last known point and deliver him into this time unharmed. However, there are several more than brilliant detectives in this place, giving them free reign would likely turn up something. And since we have this excellent squad of detectives given all resources, we could then set them to solving all the other missing persons cases still outstanding." A simple tilt of head and lift of hand. Ebon Ilnaren: "Indeed. Lyneth, Peter, what are your thoughts?" Lyneth Granger: Lyneth scratched her head thoughtfully. "Has Mr. Armstrong looked everywhere for his case?" she asked seriously. "Because Mummy always says lost things are always in the last place you look." Ebon Ilnaren: "No, Lyneth, Mr. Armstrong is the one who's missing." Lyneth Granger: "Oh. Then did the person asking look everywhere" Because Mummy's still right." Peter Radcliffe: "Who's Steve Armstrong" Do you have a picture" There's a Steve at Maple Grove, but I don't know if it's him. I had a Lost Boy named Steve once, but he growed up and became a pirate. Do you know if Steve Armstrong is a pirate" 'Cause if he is, he's prolly on a ship somewhere." Peter Radcliffe: This was all said very quickly, like in one long run-on sentence.

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2018-09-16 11:45 EST
Debate transcript, part 3 - Contributions to RhyDin and pet projects

Ebon Ilnaren: He blinked once, then again. "Well, then....moving on to the next question. What could you contribute to RhyDin as Governor" " Lyneth Granger: Lyneth nudged Peter, whispering, "I think we broke the growed ups." Peter Radcliffe: Peter was still waiting for an answer as to whether they had a picture. But apparently, they didn't. Well, he can't help them find him then. "Oh! I know! Send out a search party!" Peter Radcliffe: "Are you asking us?" Peter asked, pointing at himself and Lyneth. Ebon Ilnaren: "This one goes to Pharlen first, then the children, then Rhi." Pharlen: "Ah. Well. I do know most if not all of the former governors of RhyDin, and I am not shy about asking for advice or assistance. That is quite a pool of knowledge and experience to draw from. So really what I would bring would be a stability of governing." A slight shrug, and a flicker of foxy grin, "An enclave of former governors would be quite helpful I think, yes yes." Ebon Ilnaren: "Hmm." He made a note then nodded to Lyneth and Peter. "And you two?" Lyneth Granger: "We made a list!" Lyneth grinned, taking the frog out of Peter's hands. "There's fun stuff like two Christmasses, and the really important stuff too, about orphans and famblies." She nudged Peter. "Read the list." Peter Radcliffe: Obviously, they could contribute youth, innocence, and FUN, but that wasn't how they were going to answer the question. "The whole list?" Peter asked, doubtfully. "It's really long. Papa said it's as long as the Bible." Instead, Peter stood up and let the list unroll, until it was dragging on the floor. He then handed Lyneth the frog and pulled a piece of bubble gum from his pocket and popped it into his mouth to chew. "I'll just hang it up an' people can read it themselves." If they could decipher the children's spelling written in crayon. He then went to stick the list up against the wall with a piece of gum to hold it there. Lyneth Granger: The clearest parts of the list were just legible, and mentioned parties, cake, no homework or chores, and a family for every orphan. And didn't Lyneth look proud" Peter Radcliffe: And something about no bedtime. Peter Radcliffe: And don't forget the milk and cookies for breakfast! That was very important. Yes, he was done now. Peter Radcliffe: No, ice cream is for lunch, silly! Ebon Ilnaren: "Colleen," looking out into the audience, "do you mind if the children post this list in the Town Hall square?" PrlUnicorn: "I have no objection at all." She smiled warmly. Ebon Ilnaren: "We can move the list later. Rhi, your answer?" Rhiannon Brock: "I'd like to concentrate on the simple things like the continuing support for the city's small business owners through the Small Business Fund and other programs. Continued support for keeping the food and special undead blood banks filled by volunteers. The former has a program begun by Race Bannon with the street fridges and the latter currently has satellite offices in hospitals and mortuaries as part of the Undead Assistance program. No one is at their best if they are hungry and homeless. The current Governor, along with several others, are planning to continue with their contributions to health and emergency services throughout the city. There is no need for me to take further steps in those areas. Sarengrave House is meant to serve the needs of displaced youth. I'd like to work with the builders in the city to help create free and or more affordable housing especially for those struggling alone, for various reasons, to raise their children." Rhiannon Brock: She folded her hands over her notes and nodded as she finished her statement. Ebon Ilnaren: "Very well. Next question, on a similar note but more focused....if you could work on only one project over the next year, what would that project be, and why' Lyneth and Peter first, then Rhi and then Pharlen." Peter Radcliffe: "Only one" Can we each pick one?" Peter asked, though he assumed they probably couldn't. "Well, the most important thing to me is finding famblys for all the orphans. 'Cause I was an orphan once, and it's not much fun. That's why Tink took me to Neverland, but Neverland is gone now, and there's no place for the Lost Boys anymore and everyone should have a fambly. 'Cause everyone needs someone to love and take care of them. Is that right?" Lyneth Granger: When Lyneth spoke, it wasn't with the cadence and cheeriness of a small child. This was the older Fae within her, the being who enjoyed being a child but made herself known when she reached subjects that mattered very much to her. "There are too many orphans in Rhy'Din," she said solemnly. "I know it isn't possible, or right, to force people to make homes for every unwanted child, but that is the dream. If we were Governor for a year, we would pour resources into easing the burden on the orphanages, providing them with furnishings, services, staff, everything they need to care for their children, regardless of race or ability. And to encourage families across Rhy'Din to open their arms and their hearts to children who need families to love them." Lyneth Granger: "Everyone deserves a home and family. No one should suffer for the mistakes or sins of the parents who gave them up." Lyneth nodded firmly, and sat back down, twisting her hands together as her feet kicked. Peter Radcliffe: Peter nodded his head vehemently. "What she said," he said. He might be a child of nine, but he was probably older than most of the grownups there, if one counted the years. Lyneth Granger: Lyneth nudged Peter, smiling shyly. "We got the clap from Maggie's Gran." Ebon Ilnaren: He nodded solemnly and then gestured to Rhi. "Your thoughts on that question?" Peter Radcliffe: Peter beamed a smile back at Lyneth and nodded his head proudly. Rhiannon Brock: "Overseeing the building of homes for those in need. Not only will it create housing, but jobs and job experience." Rhiannon Brock: Rhi was used to hearing what might be called *old souls* speaking with through children. She was silent as he own comments were complete. Ebon Ilnaren: "Short and sweet....Pharlen?" Pharlen: "One program, that would have to be the expansion of the various programs for education and amusement, such as the parks and libraries and other community places. To allow kids safe places to play and learn, and give adults the same. Also, adding large bomb shelters to many of these public spaces." There was a whimsical sort of lilt to her voice, but she was asked, after all. And building bomb shelters wasn't a far step from building sepulchers.

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2018-09-16 11:47 EST
Debate transcript, part 4 - On the meaning and worth of meat sacks

Ebon Ilnaren: "It has been a while since anyone blew up the Marketplace, we're about due for it. Next question..." He looked at his notes, then buried his face in his hand for an epic facepalm. Zack Alcar: "Bite your tongue!" Without missing a beat to Ebon. PrlUnicorn: "Don't jinx things, Ebon." Peter Radcliffe: Peter blinked. Blew up the Marketplace" Pharlen: "Esh," she murmured, readjusting her glasses. Ebon Ilnaren: There was a heavy sigh from the podium before he looked up again. "For Rhi first, then Pharlen, then the kids....'What will you do to help the replacement of working meat sacks with mechanical cashier bots since it's a pain to get living people to check out my food" I shouldn't have to be asked questions like how am I doing today or if I found everything alright. It's inconvenient.' " His tone of voice made it clear he was reading the question verbatim from his notes. Rhiannon Brock: Rhi channeled her own old soul and kept her calm in place. "Usage of what I consider to be a derogatory term aside, if anyone is unhappy or uncomfortable shopping at establishments run by living or undead persons, I suggest those with this issue make liberal use of the RTS routes that travel into the Star End Spaceport as they have had bots in shops for many years. An alternative is to present a shopping list to the clerk that states the holder has difficulty with interpersonal communications and prefers to not speak people." Pharlen: She was repeating Ebon's words under her breath, clearly trying to wring sense into them. Puzzled Pharlen was Puzzled. Peter Radcliffe: It was probably a good thing the kids were going last because Peter had no clue what Ebon had just said. PrlUnicorn: Collie shook her head as she muttered, "Sounds like Hurricane Jesse strikes again." Ebon Ilnaren: "Mmhmm." He may have been responding to Rhi, or Colleen, or both. Ebon Ilnaren: "I'll just ask if the rest of you agree with Rhi's summary of the issue?" Lyneth Granger: Lyneth's lips moved silently as she frowned, deciphering the question with agonizing slowness. Then she raised her hand to indicate that she might have a different idea. Peter Radcliffe: "What's a meat sack?" Peter blurted, raising his hand, too. Pharlen: "Star's End Spaceport is a good thing for high tech people," she nodded to Ebon with her best Betty Furness smile. Ebon Ilnaren: "It's a flesh-and-blood person, Peter. Lyneth, your comment?" Lyneth Granger: "We could ....we could teach the nasty person who said the horrible thing how to be a nice person, and if that doesn't work, we could teach them how to look after a plant what has a fairy in it, and if they're good to their fairy, then the fairy could go and be nice with real people so the nasty person doesn't has to?" Peter Radcliffe: Peter furrowed his brows as he tried to sort out the question's meaning, but Lyneth was quicker. Peter Radcliffe: "Are the meat sack grownups?" Peter asked further. Peter Radcliffe: "How are kids espoused to grow up to be nice people if growed ups are mean?" Pharlen: "It's a mean way of referring to living beings," she responded to Peter. "Adult or child, really, though I imagine a child would be a meat baggie rather than a meat sack." Lyneth Granger: "Does that mean babies are meat purses?" Peter Radcliffe: Peter furrowed his brows at the explanation, unaware that the debate had devolved into something else for the moment. "That's not very nice." Rhiannon Brock: A nod to Pharlen then to Peter, "It's not always easy to do it, but sometimes, we have to treat people better than they deserve to be based on their behavior." Peter Radcliffe: Peter wasn't quite sure what that meant either. "Kids have to follow rules. Growed ups should, too." Pharlen: Pharlen, declined to have an opinion on the conversation at hand, her gaze turning back to Ebon expectantly.

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2018-09-16 11:53 EST
Debate transcript, part 5 - On councils and achievements

Ebon Ilnaren: "Moving on to the next question....Do you have any plans to reinstate the Advisory Council, or have similar opportunities for public discourse?" Rhiannon Brock: "Some people don't think those rules apply to them, Peter. That's when things go crazy." A little smile was given to the lad then Ebon had her attention. Ebon Ilnaren: "Pharlen first, the the kids, then Rhi." Peter Radcliffe: Peter whispered something to Lyneth, quiet enough that the microphone didn't pick it up. Pharlen: "I didn't know it had been uninstated. I would instate that as soon as may be done, given the opportunity and people. This is a realm that needs diversity simply to exist." Lyneth Granger: Lyneth, finally getting the hang of this thing, put her hand over the microphone as she whispered back to Peter. Ebon Ilnaren: He nodded at Pharlen's reply, then looked to the children. "Lyneth, Peter, your thoughts?" Peter Radcliffe: Having asked Lyneth what that question meant, he looked a little more confident of his reply. "I think if people wanna help, they should help. The more people that help, the more that gets done. We gots a lot of ideas, but we can't do everything! We're just kids. We will need help." That was a yes for reinstating the Advisory Council. Peter Radcliffe: He looked to Lyneth expectantly to add to that. Lyneth Granger: "And, and ....I 'member when my cousin Caroline was on it, and it was all late nights, and we can't really do late nights because we're little," Lyneth added. "So it would have to happen, like, straight after school for us." She nodded firmly. "Or we could have a Kid's Council. That would be more fun." Peter Radcliffe: Peter practically crowed, laughing. "That would be fun!" Not very practical maybe, but fun. Then again, their platform was based on fun. Peter Radcliffe: Or partly on fun, anyway. Peter Radcliffe: "And we can have ice cream at every meeting!" he added quickly. Now he was done. Ebon Ilnaren: "Rhi, do you have an answer?" Rhiannon Brock: "Ice cream." A smile flickered then she was serious again. "I'd like to make use of the local media to connect with the citizens at large. While I am unsure of whether or not I would have formal council in place, I am not nor have I ever been unwilling to listen to other people's ideas. You never know when someone has a better idea to accomplish a task. Some of the ones I have heard today are very good and would blend well with my own." Rhiannon Brock: As had become her custom, she nodded at the end. Peter Radcliffe: Peter yawned. It was starting to get close to his bedtime, though he'd never admit it. Lyneth Granger: Peter's yawn set off Lyneth, the little girl blinking owlishly as she watched and listened. Ebon Ilnaren: "Excellent. Last of the pre-submitted questions....What personal or professional achievement are you most proud of, and why?" Ebon Ilnaren: "Lyneth and Peter first, then Rhi, then Pharlen." Lyneth Granger: Lyneth beamed, despite the fact that she was rubbing her eyes. "The bestest thing what I ever did was making my Mummy and Daddy get married so my Daddy could adopt me, because I got a whole fambly and a little brother and a little sister, and a dog, and a Kneazle, and lots of friends out of it," she declared. "And I kicked the bad daddy in the fork." Ebon Ilnaren: Ebon looked impressed with that recital of events, particularly the last one. "Peter": Pharlen: Pale gaze honed in on Sard. Her sense of smell was keen, and he was dangling bait. But she was stronger than her love of the bean, and remained quietly waiting her turn. Peter Radcliffe: Peter blinked out of his sudden sleepiness. "What was the question again?" he asked, before remembering. "Oh, yeah! What am I most proud of?" Normally, he would have had a very conceited answer to that, but something made him decide to give them a more serious and honest answer - probably Lyneth's answer. He nodded in agreement, though he didn't know much about the bad daddy. "I'm most proud of my family and my friends. I'm proud to be Lynnie's BFF, and I'm proud of my Mom and my baby sister Cora and my fairy friend Snow and my dog, and my frog Lucy, and especially of my Dad because he's not a pirate no more and he's the best Dad in the whole multiverse! And I can crow!" And he went on to demonstrate that, just for good measure. Lyneth Granger: At the back of the hall, Peter's mother nudged Lyneth's father and murmured, "Well, at least no one mentioned your winkie." Peter Radcliffe: Lyneth's father only cringed and hoped no one overheard that. Ebon Ilnaren: "Rhiannon?" Rhiannon Brock: "What I'm most proud of is the life my husband and I have built together and of the family we are raising. A wise Terran woman once said, 'If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do matters very much.' " A tender smile was sent Eregor's way when she finished speaking. Ebon Ilnaren: Smiling, he looked to Pharlen for her answer. Ebon Ilnaren: She seemed to be distracted by distant coffee, however. Pharlen: Coffee. She swept that up elegantly and drank, her brows quirking as she straightened. Her turn, yes, no' Yes. She inclined her head, gracious. "I am a Firetaker, and never have I cringed back from my duty, no matter what the cost. However, upon finding this reality, I found a place where I may bring those souls who must be taken from their lives on Earth. They no longer need perish for their brilliance. This place provides haven. This is one of my finest of achievements, yes yes. Other than that, keeping my kids and husband alive and happy is a close second." And if one knew her husband and kids, well. There you go.

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2018-09-16 11:56 EST
Debate transcript, part 6 - Who put out the hit"

Lyneth Granger: Lyneth beamed sleepily, slumping comfortably on her chair with her head on Peter's shoulder. It was nice to hear that everyone was so proud of having families. Peter Radcliffe: Peter's head was drooping as he got sleepy, his fingers loosening their grip on the frog in his lap. Peter Radcliffe: Peter's head lolled to bump and rest against Lyneth's. Peter Radcliffe: It was way past the kids' bedtime. Ebon Ilnaren: Nodding, Ebon turned to face the audience. "That's it for the pre-submitted questions. I will open the floor for anyone present to ask a question of one or multiple candidates. We are also taking questions from those viewing at home." Ebon Ilnaren: "If anyone has questions specifically for Lyneth or Peter, please ask now, otherwise I think they're both ready for bed." Rhiannon Brock: "Actually, I have a question for them." Lyneth Granger: Lyneth made a supreme effort to rouse herself, lifting her head to blink curiously along the row of seats to Rhiannon. Peter Radcliffe: Hearing his name mentioned, his head jerked back up, just in time to tuck Lucy away in his jacket so she wouldn't escape. He might be the boy who never wanted to grow up, but even Peter Pan needed to sleep sometimes! Rhiannon Brock: "Peter and Lyneth, if you aren't elected Governor, would you be willing to work with whoever is elected to start new or expand on existing programs for children" No one knows the needs of children more than their peers." Ebon Ilnaren: Then he looked down at his tablet and frowned, speaking softly but loud enough to be picked up by the microphone. "'Which one of you put out the hit on your fellow candidate and used the watch to cover it up"' What the...?" Peter Radcliffe: Peter looked from Rhiannon to Ebon, unsure which question he was expected to answer first. Lyneth Granger: Stifling another yawn, Lyneth smiled happily at Rhiannon. "If my Mummy and Daddy say I can, I would," she nodded easily. She'd completely missed Ebon's mutter. Rhiannon Brock: "Good." She smiled to Lyneth. Peter Radcliffe: "I would, too, and I haven't hit anyone," he said, the last bit a little defensively to Ebon. Peter Radcliffe: "Papa!" he called, getting up from his chair. "Is it time to go home yet?" Ebon Ilnaren: He looked at the candidates. "Never mind that question from me." Rhiannon Brock: Another smile to Peter followed by a blink at Ebon then she laughed. "Oh, please, I'd like to answer that one!" Pharlen: "Don't look at me, I can handle my own hits," she remarked drolly, sipping at her coffee. Lyneth Granger: The parents were advancing as discreetly as possible from the back of the hall, just waiting for the nod to say the children were released for the evening. Peter Radcliffe: "Can we go now, Mr. Used-to-Be Gov'nor?" he asked Ebon.

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2018-09-16 11:59 EST
Debate transcript, part 7 - On bedtimes and persecution

v Sard: "I have questions for candidates to answer. How do you intend to address the persecution of certain population factors by private-interest parties" This is not limited to the actions raising public decry against magical practitioners, though that is one facet. It can also address persecution of those who make their living via prostitution or gambling, by certain religious entities, and of religious entities, by other parties." Questions, yes. And not just one. Rhiannon Brock: "Like Pharlen, I don't need a hitman to deal with that kind of thing. Second, the Watch has more important things to do than entertain people's whimsy." Peter Radcliffe: "My frog made my jacket wet, and I need to use the loo," Peter said, unapologetically. Peter Radcliffe: Peter didn't even know what that question meant. Too many big werds. Sard: A responsibility of the office, none the less, in addressing public unrest rather than the legal implications. Rhiannon Brock: "Perhaps, the children should be allowed to go now and their parents can help them address any questions via a statement later on?" Lyneth Granger: Lyneth stared at the man who was speaking, blinking wearily. The Fae inside her answered, not the child. "You won't listen to anything Peter or I say," she said firmly. "You've been ignoring us all evening. You're just trying to make us look stupid because we're sleepy and we don't understand long words." Her mother murmured a warning from beside the podium, and Lyneth relaxed. Sard: A brow flicks upward as he focuses on Rhiannon. "Are the parents running for office, then, rather than the children?" He glances toward the girl briefly, before tipping his head toward her mother and returning his attention to Rhiannon. Rhiannon Brock: "And the young lady is correct in her questioning of your motives," it wasn't Rhi that spoke, but something older. "Adults have also been given leave to depart such meetings due to a variety of reasons and respond later,, they should be given the same courtesy." Peter Radcliffe: "My Papa says the gov'nor doesn't have any real power. It's just a figger head." Peter Radcliffe: "People have to work together to make Rhy'Din a better place." He turned to Ebon again. "Can we go now, please" It's past my bedtime." Peter Radcliffe: Past both their bedtimes. Sard: A snort sounds, before the biker settles his shoulder against the wall again. "I think that the child just did answer my question, actually. My motives are to gain answers, from the parties involved, rather than from outside advisers. Which leaves the remaining two candidates to answer." His head tips toward the Moderator next. "I believe the floor is still yours?" Ebon Ilnaren: "Yes, you two can go." Lyneth Granger: "Thank you, Mr. Ebony." Lyneth slid down from her chair, turning to the other candidates. "Thank you, Mrs. Pharlen, and Mrs. Timelord. Good luck." She wiggled her fingers sleepily in a goodbye wave, and sighed heavily, stumping toward her parents with Peter. Peter Radcliffe: "Thank you, Mr. Ilnaren," Peter told the man. "It was nice meeting you!" he called over to the other candidates. He snagged Lyneth's hand so they could leave together, the same way they'd come. Lyneth Granger: Peter's mother caught him before he got too far, lifting him up onto her hip as Lyneth raised her hands to her own father. It was a very late night for little people, but hey, at least they'd managed most of it, right" Ebon Ilnaren: "Although I do have a quick question for you, Peter, from someone online. 'I like your frog. What's its name"' Lucy, wasn't it?" Peter Radcliffe: "I hafta wee!" Peter was overheard exclaiming before someone thankfully, disconnected his mic. "It's LUCY!" He called back from his mother's arms. Lyneth Granger: "Night!" Lyneth called from over her own father's shoulder, giggling sleepily as Peter was rushed out of the hall in the direction of the nearest toilets. Peter Radcliffe: Lyneth's father hoisted Lyneth into his arms, likewise, and kissed her cheek, whispering how proud he was of her. Rhiannon Brock: A mutter of 'Zip it, Zaphie,' might have been heard before her own response to Sard. "I, personally, cannot change the mindset of those that would behave as you describe. However, I believe that anyone taking part in industries like gambling and prostitution of their own free will should continue to do so without persecution. One might also address the problem of public servants like the Watch being taken to task for failing to respond to some crime in the city when those same people will also complain about the Watch being interfering busybodies. People shouldn't expect to have their cake and eat it, too." Sard: The departure of the children is, indeed, ignored by the biker. Attention on Rhiannon again, he lifts a hand in a balancing gesture, offering neither approval nor disapproval of the response, before tipping his head toward Pharlen inquiringly. Pharlen: "This is RhyDin. One of the hazards of living here is insanity," she replied, "However, we are not without the mental and physical resources to band together and bring pressure to bear on those who insist on using this place as their own personal shooting gallery. But again, because of the nature of the beast, creating shelters and safe avenues of escape would be more than helpful."

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2018-09-16 12:01 EST
Debate transcript, part 8 - On dragon dung and other pollutants

Sard: A grunt accepts both responses. "Educational measures to propagate tolerance and understanding of other forms of employment and belief would be the most effective way to combat such persecution. I'll yield to someone else with questions, if there are any. Otherwise, I have another." Ebon Ilnaren: He looked out at the audience expectantly, waiting to see if anyone else wanted a turn at the microphone. Rhiannon Brock: She looked to Pharlen. "You can answer him first." Pharlen: "It is getting late, darlings, and I do have to make sure the kids aren't experimenting with ampho without their father watching." she noted, but with an upturn of hand, indicated that Sard speak his question. She laughed softly to Rhi. "Oh, sure, make me think fast." A humorous wink, as well. Ebon Ilnaren: "Ask your question, sir....last question of the night." Rhiannon Brock: She grinned. "I like putting people in the hot seat. Ask Mom about that." Sard: Inclining his head in query to Ebon - the man is the Moderator, after all! - the biker nods before turning back to the remaining two candidates. "How do you propose to move forward in addressing the pollution of land and waterways in, under, an around the city, particularly south of the city, where there is a large biological burden placed on the environment by the inflated draconic population' Incidentally, before you answer, the waste from such animals, when properly processed, makes an excellent fertilizer." Pharlen: "Well, one of you she referred to as rocketbutt when they were in diapers," she lied in an undertone to Rhia, then turned to Sard. Then she smiled her best coyote sweet smile, "Why, I would consider hiring the person with the most interest in fertilizer, and set him to creating such a system which would clear up the issue. Sard." Rhiannon Brock: Taking the remark with good humor, she chuckled and murmured to Pharlen, "Sounds like my sister, Nicole. She was born a firetamer." Ebon Ilnaren: "Any final thoughts on that question, Rhi?" Sard: A shudder of Sard's chest might be incomprehensible as amusement, to most of those that don't know him. There's no verbal component to his humor. Attention turning toward Rhiannon, the biker remains silent as he waits. Rhiannon Brock: "To expand on Mrs. Von Tombs' ideas, there are plenty of places in need of fertilizer." She took a breath and held up a 'wait a sec' finger. Pharlen: Snicker. Rhiannon Brock: "Making the manure available to farmers, nurserymen, and places like the city's Botanical Garden would have a great many benefits and increase fresh fruit and vegetable production. As for the waterways, filtration systems are now in place near the new Dockside facilities. That is somewhat of a balancing act as pure water to some species is poisonous to others." Sard: The Greenswarden waits. While doing so, he also unhooks his thermos to top up his coffee cup. Pharlen: "And not everything that is dead needs to be decomposed," she added with a nod. Rhiannon Brock: A nod to Pharlen and grin was flashed. "Exactly. I grew up on a horse farm, so shoveling that stuff should be on my resume." Sard: A grunt accepts the answer, but Sard shakes his head. "That offers a viable and broadly beneficial outlet for the finished product, but it does not solve the problem of how to deal with the situation prior to processing the results of dealing with it. I would suggest giving it more consideration, as proper management of waste can not only prevent pollution before it happens, but remedy contamination that already has, before either becomes any more of a serious problem than it already is." Apparently, he's content enough with the answers, however, since the coffee cup gets lifted in acknowledgement of the two candidates before he takes a swallow. Rhiannon Brock: She cleared her throat. "Bluntly?" Rhiannon Brock: "I suggest that you speak with Icer and her family about options. Since her family is one of the largest bands of dragons in the city and likely responsible for a good percentage, they might have answers on how to get it under control." Ebon Ilnaren: He glanced down at his podium. "I do have one last question submitted via social media, once you've answered that." Sard: Another shudder vibrates the biker's chest, before he inclines his head toward Rhiannon. "That, would be the governor's job. I am merely a concerned private party." A nod yields the floor to Ebon again, as Sard settles into leaning on the wall. Pharlen: "Yes?" she responded to Ebon, brows lifted. Rhiannon Brock: "Fair enough. Your name is?" her question to Sard. Sard: Glancing up again, the biker considers Rhiannon briefly, before answering. "Sard. Koralian Greenswarden." It's the only job description he offers - and the name doesn't come with a surname. Rhiannon Brock: "Sard," she repeated quietly as she committed the name to memory. "What's the question, Ebon?"

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2018-09-16 12:02 EST
Debate transcript, part 9 - On black magic women, and wrap-up

Ebon Ilnaren: "This comes from one of the viewers, sent online....There are organizations in this city teaching children to use firearms, fight in gangs, and use corrupting black magic. As governor, how would you address these troubling developments?" Pharlen: Pharlen clearly didn't understand the question, as her kids were trained to use firearms, to fight in groups, and use any edge they could get their hands on. "I'm sorry, what is the question?" Pharlen: She just lost the Pious vote, didn't she? Ebon Ilnaren: Ebon smirked ever so slightly at Pharlen's answer. Ebon Ilnaren: Maybe not so slightly. Rhiannon Brock: "Having grown up as one of the children in city that learned to use arms at a very young age, I can attest to the fact that not all of those children are being encouraged to be a menace to the public at large. Many are being taught to defend themselves against those that would seek to harm or kill them. As for using corrupting or corrupted black magic, again, some children are taught the opposite. In all honesty, to fight against dark magic, you have to be able to recognize it in the first place." Pharlen: "This ain't the garden of Eden," ironically quoted, "And one man's black magic is another's salvation. These kids have to learn to survive. We can't afford labels like good and evil around here. We can only afford one label, and that is RhyDian. We survive by reaching out to each other, and removing threats to our existence." Rhiannon Brock: "My former step-father, Judas Lasher, was well versed in dark magic. He taught many young people how to recognize when it was being used to manipulate them and how to fight against it." Rhiannon Brock: She held a hand up to high five Phar. Pharlen: Rawk. She returned the five without missing a beat. Rhiannon Brock: "My niece is fond of saying that she didn't choose magic, it chose her. It's up to her and every child like her to either learn to wield it or or be consumed by it." Pharlen: And speaking of kids with boom booms and bad mojo....She lifted her head, adjusting her glasses, to see if that was all the questions. Rhiannon Brock: "As an afterthought to Sard's previous query, dragon dung is an excellent and renewable fuel source." Ebon Ilnaren: "I think I'm going to call it a night, as we've been at this for four hours now. I'd like to thank our candidates—including the two children—for coming tonight and speaking their minds. I would also like to thank all of you in the Hall for attending to hear and be heard, and to those viewing the broadcast, thank you as well! Let's give a hand for our candidates!" He led a round of applause for Pharlen and Rhi.