Topic: Matthew Algiers Simon?s 2013 Candidacy Announcement Speech

Goldglo

Date: 2013-05-30 15:17 EST
Shortly after Waterhouse Accounting's official announcement of the 2013 gubernatorial candidates, Matt Simon's initial campaign press conference took place in front of the Rhydin Welcome Center. Standing behind a podium, Matt speaks before taking questions from the gathered media. A microphone pinned to his shirt amplifies his voice

Good afternoon, everyone, and thank you for coming. As you're aware by now, I'm running for Governor this year and I can think of no better place to start things off than here, at the Rhydin Welcome Center. Here, right here...

Matt gestures toward the Center itself

...is where the future begins. Whether someone's visiting Rhydin for the first time, beginning a new life here, or returning after an absence, the Rhydin Welcome Center is one of the main resources for that visitor or new resident to plan for both their immediate and long-term futures. That's what I'm here to speak with you about today " the future. But in order to do that, we first must examine our past and our present. I am proud of the strides we've all made over the last two years under the guidance and leadership of Governor Fionna Helston al-Amat. Governor Helston has led us most often with poise and grace and at times with grit and determination. She picked up the pieces of Governor Driscol's days in office and quickly pushed us all in a much more positive and fruitful direction. She reached out to the citizens of Rhydin and established the Governor's Council to receive direct input and opinions from you. She allowed those willing to serve Rhydin to play to their strengths, myself included. I am proud to have worked with Governor Helston over the last two years and I appreciate her openness and honesty, even when we've disagreed. I believe she's performed admirably for Rhydin and is most deserving of our gratitude and our respect for all she's done. Taking a deep breath, Matt pauses a moment to look out over the gathered crowd before continuing

Rhydin's next Governor has a great responsibility before them. The next Governor must have respect for the past " be willing and humble enough to learn from it and not repeat its mistakes. The next Governor must also remain cognizant of and fully engaged in the present " for the challenges we face cannot be ignored. Nor can the next Governor disregard the positive and continual evolution of our city and its people in the here and now. Walking out from behind the podium, Matt moves closer to the reporters in an effort to connect with them on more of an individual level. Cameras follow his movements. As he speaks, his voice grows in earnestness and intensity

But respecting the past and appreciating the present are not enough. The next Governor must also keep a keen eye on the future. They need to understand, as I fully do, the ramifications of their decisions not only in the here and now, but in the years to come. Even though she's stepping down from the role of Governor, Fionna's influence over Rhydin will remain part of this city forever. Choices that she made throughout the last two years will affect us all for decades to come. The next Governor cannot simply yearn for the past nor get so bogged down in the present that they forget to consider the future. I firmly believe that the future of this city and every one of its citizens is bright. I believe we are trending in a positive direction and I believe we must make wise choices today with the goal of guaranteeing a brighter tomorrow. I am proud of this city, of each district. I am proud of our diversity, our tenacity, our perseverance and our passion. My hope is that you'll allow me to lead you, as Governor, in taking our next important steps. As Governor, I'll help guide us into our future " a future we've earned, a future we deserve, a future that our children and grandchildren deserve. Once again, I stand before you and respectfully, without bravado or pretense, ask for your confidence and your vote. If elected Governor, I promise to respect the past and to heed its lessons. I promise to remain engaged in the present and to deal fairly and decisively with the concerns of today. But all the while, I promise to keep my eye on tomorrow, on our future, on where we want to be a year from now, a decade from now, a century from now. This is Rhydin, this is our home. And we need to build its future...our future, starting today! Stepping back and to his left, Matt repositions himself behind the podium

Thank you, most sincerely, for your time. I'll now take questions.

Goldglo

Date: 2013-05-31 00:44 EST
Shortly after the press conference concluded on Wednesday, and throughout Thursday, posters cropped up throughout Rhydin's districts. Print advertisements also appeared in varying newspapers and magazines.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/MasaoRyu/leeadama05_zpsb612c6f9.jpg

((Big thanks to Nayun's player for taking my poster attempt, making it 10000x better, and hosting the image!))