Topic: Questions for Ebon - RGE 2014

Ebon Ilnaren

Date: 2014-09-17 23:17 EST
Ebon was sitting at a table outside a small ice cream shop in the Marketplace when a nondescript, forgettable figure approached. "Excuse me, Mr. Ilnaren, do you mind if I ask you a question or two?"

"Go right ahead," came the reply.

"If you are elected as governor, what are some of the goals and objectives you hope to accomplish during your time in office?"

Leaning back in his chair, Ebon brought his hands together upon the table, fingers interlaced. "That's a very good question. My simple answer would be to leave Rhydin a better place than when I start my term." He chuckled for a moment. "How to do that, though, that's the tricky part. One thing I've come to believe after two years on Fionna's advisory council is that the Governor has no true governing authority. It's true," he added in response to murmurs from those around them, as other patrons had been listening. "If I were elected, I could issue editcs, decrees and proclamations until I was blue in the face, and it wouldn't make a damned bit of difference."

A man at the next table over frowned. "So why run, then, if you can't do anything?"

Ebon turned to look at him with a thoughtful expression. "Because while the Governor's office brings with it no authority, it does bring influence in society. For some, that in itself is a goal worth running for, but to others of us, it's a tool. As Governor, I would continue the idea that Fionna started of public meetings, because they allow voices from across this city to be heard. Would I have a defined council" I don't know, to be honest. The downside of that would be an appearance of exclusion; those who were on the council might feel they're on the outside looking in, and that's not good. I'd rather see inclusion, a coming together; ideally, I'd like to use these meetings and the Governor's office as a way to guide people and ideas towards the problems that need them. The greatest accomplishments in Rhydin have always been achieved by those who rise to the occasion, and I believe that this approach would allow more of us the opportunity to rise up. Oh, and I would also work to sponsor or promote more festivals and celebrations across the city." He broke into a grin. "Let's face it, Rhydin loves a good party, and they're a way to bring people together in a positive fashion. Furthermore, we've seen in the past how galas and fests can be used to raise funds for worthy causes! Who can argue with that?" He raised a hand and began to tick off points with his fingers. "So....public meetings to give the people the voice they deserve, wielding influence as Governor to guide—not command—those who can help to those who need it, and great parties for great causes....for starters, and beyond that adapt to the situations that present themselves! Next question?"

The original questioner's expression changed not at all, but he gave a slight nod. "What do you propose to do, if anything, about the problems of continued violence and corruption in the city?"

Now that brought a frown to Ebon's face. "Now that's a quandary, because just as the Governor can't make laws, they really can't enforce them either. The Watch isn't really an arm of the Governor's office, they simply do the best they can to keep the peace, since there really are no laws to uphold. Beyond that, there are heroes a-plenty in this city, and they don't need a Governor to tell them to go out and help stand against violence. I know, because I've been one of them....and, Governor or not, I'd continue to step up as a defender of the people whenever needed." That brought a moment of silence, and then he sighed and went on. "One thing I would do, one of those great causes I mentioned before, is encourage potential victims to take precautions to protect themselves, their homes, their neighborhoods. That's the best way to stop the weed of corruption and violence, I've found: dig it out by the roots. In addition, I would direct all the support I could towards the succor and recovery of all who might suffer from such vile activities."

Rising to from his chair, Ebon looked at the Marketplace around him. "This city has seen so much hurt, and so much pain, and while it survives, there are always those who suffer and fall through the cracks, figuratively and sometimes literally. A while back I encountered a....gentleman who had taken those unfortunates and twisted them into something truly horrible. Since then I have done all I could to bring aid to those victims, and as Governor I would continue that effort by raising as much support as I can. Funds, resources, whatever it takes to show those who would abuse, enslave, or devastate the people of this city that we will resist and rebuild, and we will never give in. That's the example I'd set, and that's what I'd do my best to accomplish, if I were Governor."

There were murmurs and scattered applause around the shop, and more than a few viral videos went out. When Ebon looked back from shaking someone's hand, the forgettable fellow who'd first asked his questions had slipped away.