Topic: Transcript of 2011 Rhy'Din Gubernatorial Debate

FioHelston

Date: 2011-05-18 14:40 EST
Introductions and Opening Statements Transcript of the 2011 Rhy"Din Gubernatorial Debates provided through funding from the Alberion Institute of Sociology.

Moderator Hello, darlings! I'm so glad to see you all here for our Gubernatorial Debate ....My name is Morana Benandanti, and I'll be your host tonight for this debate! Now, before we get into the meat of things, I'd like to tell you a little bit about how this will work and give you some very, very brief introductions to the candidates. Is everybody ready?

Tonight, each candidate will have the opportunity to present an opening statement before I open the floor to questions. For my sanity, please speak to one of the assistants within the Hall if you would like to ask the candidates a question and they will make sure I know to call on you. Every candidate will have a chance to answer each question, and if a candidate would like to respond to or rebut an opponent's answer, they may press the button on their podium, which will turn on the query light.

While we hope to cover all of the questions from the audience tonight, unfortunately we will have to end the debate no later than midnight. If it looks like we are going to approach that time, I may have to cut short the questions so that we can proceed to closing statements. I do hope you understand! On the other hand, if we conclude early I'd like to invite any and all to proceed to the Red Dragon Inn for some more relaxing conversation!

Now, for our candidates tonight, former Governor Matthew Simon is at the first podium, and local business-woman and artist Fionna Helston al-Amat is at the second. Dyarhk - and I'm sorry, I wasn't expecting another person' are at the third podium, while Corlanthis Wystansayr is at the final place for tonight's debate.

This debate is between the candidates for Governor themselves, and so I will have to ask that only the candidates supply answers to the questions as they are presented.

Now let's move right in to opening statements. Let's begin at the far end with Corlanthis! Corlanthis Wystantsayr, could you please tell us all why the members of this community should vote for you?

Corlanthis Wystansayr Uh. Oh. I'm first then" Very well. Well then. Thank you all for having me here, today. It is with great honor that I take the stand yet again for the opportunity to become Rhy'din's Governor. There shall be many things said about why each Candidate will be the best for the position, and so I shall make my position both succinct and quite clear. Because, Rhy'din. I have style! Thank you.

Moderator Very well. Thank you, Corlanthis. Now, Dyarhk, same question for your opening statement. Why should the members of this community vote for you?

Dyarhk Thank you. I feel kind of out of place, my opponents have longer names than I do. My name is Dyarhk, and yes, without a surname. First I'd like to start off by saying thank you to the people of Rhy"Din, for having us here tonight, and Morana Benandanti, for hosting this event. I think it's a terribly important discussion.

As to why the citizens of Rhy"Din should vote for me, I am a family man, and am prepared to bring strong family values into office. My experience has been touched upon in an interview with the Post, and I am ready, and I believe Rhy"Din is ready for me.

Moderator Thank you, Dyarhk - and as I shared your lack of a surname until quite recently, I do sympathize. Fionna Helston al-Amat, it's your turn to give your opening statement. The same question applies - why should the members of this community vote for you?

Fionna Helston al Amat Thank you, Madame Moderator. Good evening, everyone. Let me begin by saying what I am not about. I am not, as some in the media may have characterized it, running on a no-confidence, anarchist campaign. I believe that there is a real role for the governor in Rhy"Din, which I will explore in more detail as we talk about our positions tonight.

It is not simply to be a stylish figurehead. Nor do I intend to rattle sabers and frighten each of you with assurances that you "need the sword.' Nonsense. Rhy"Din is not 'ready? for such a thing nor does it need it.

What I am fighting for is the prosperity and the freedom of the members of this community, and that is the role of the governor. Not to take away rights and responsibilities in the guise of social services which you would then be taxed to support, as the bureaucracy grows larger and more complex, but to highlight opportunities and work with members of the community - both businesses and individuals - to meet the needs of the community within the community.

Moderator Thank you, darling. That brings us to our former Governor, Matthew Simon for his opening statement. Please tell us, Mr. Simon, why members of this community should vote for you?

Matthew Simon I stand here before you a fourth time, as excited and humbled as I was the very first. I thank you for all the support shown in the primary voting and I ask that you continue to show your trust in me and my abilities come the general election. We are Rhy"Din! This is a pivotal time for our city and for all of us as its citizens. I believe that I'm the most qualified candidate to seize this opportunity and to lead us this next year.

You've already heard some of my ideas, especially those regarding expansion and enhancement of trade and how it can positively affect us and our partners both from an economic and cultural perspective. I'm sure, given the questions that will likely arise tonight, you'll learn even more not only about my thoughts and ideas, but those my fellow candidates have as well. We are Rhy"Din! We must take our next steps together.

As to why you should vote for me...out of all the candidates up here, I am the most qualified and the most experienced leader. I have been Governor of Rhy"Din twice before, an honor bestowed upon me by you, the citizens, who entrusted me with the privilege and responsibility of that leadership. I see where Rhy"Din needs to go in the next year, the ways in which we must capitalize on our capabilities, and I have the plan to take us there and make those potential positive strides into a reality for us all. The person who can do that most effectively, with no disrespect intended to the other candidates, is me. Thank you.

———- Transcript of the 2011 Rhy?Din Gubernatorial Debates provided through funding from the Alberion Institute of Sociology.

FioHelston

Date: 2011-05-18 14:41 EST
Primary Topic: Small Business Support Secondary Topics: Fair Labor Agreement, Economic Policies Transcript of the 2011 Rhy"Din Gubernatorial Debates provided through funding from the Alberion Institute of Sociology.

Moderator Thank you all, darlings! Now we'll be moving to the question and answer portion of the evening, and tonight's first question comes from....Harris! For this round of questions we'll proceed through the answers in the same order as the opening statements.

Harris's question to the candidates is in two parts. He asks what they will do to support small business owners if they are elected, and why they smell so good.

Corlanthis, you have the first response.

Corlanthis Wystansayr A very relevant question, despite the transparency of it. As a successful small-business owner myself, the success of Rhy'dins business both large and small is, of course, very important to me. And, quite frankly, I will be just as interested to hear the answers of my colleagues when I am finished.

Now, as for support. The small-business owner lacks many of the tools available to those with larger budgets or wider-ranging contacts in and out-of realm. To that end, I intend to introduce a body of administration whose aim it will be to help promote our local businesses into areas they may otherwise be unable to access. The businesses will, of course, have to succeed on the merits of their own products or services, but it shall not be because people were unaware of them, or they were not given a fair chance to succeed.

And as for why I smell so good" Alpha, of course. Fragrance for men. By men. Well, by Harris. And he's kind of a man.

Moderator Thank you very much, Corlanthis. Now, Dyarhk, you have the same question. What will you do as Governor to assist or support small businesses, and why do you smell so good"

Dyarhk Well first, I would expect smaller businesses like Alpha Cologne to abide by the Fair Labor Agreement recently made and receive certification for it, which is an agreement I am going to support if I am elected.

But small businesses are very important if not as important to our larger conglomerates. We all need each other to function, and I think a closer examination law will be a great step towards both getting these smaller and larger businesses alike the notice they will require to do business here in Rhy"Din, as well as inspect and flesh out our untrustworthy businesses that are trying to build legitimate income on illegitimate fronts. My small office, which come to be known as the Sudden Action Directive if I am elected, will help us see beyond the shadow of a doubt, just who and what we are doing business with here in Rhy"Din.

As to why I smell so good" Well, let's say once Alpha is approved by the Fair Labor Agreement....I might be smelling a little more....samurai monster truck, ninja-y. Moderator Very well. Thank you, Dyarhk. Fionna, what will you do as Governor to assist or support small businesses, and why do you smell so good"

Fionna Helston al Amat I, too, am a small business owner. While I do not believe that it is the government's role to provide financial assistance to small businesses, I do believe that it is its responsibility to ensure a fair and free environment in which to operate.

For example, Harris, your business is taking off because no one has required special licenses or oversight to conduct trade in the manner or venues you choose. As such, you've been able to make some wise decisions in your product placement. Your appearances at both the Beltane celebration and tonight's event have given you a platform from which to effectively market your cologne.

That freedom has allowed you to pour your passion and your energies into your business. This is the freedom that all small business owners should have. But success depends upon their passion, excellence and their own hard work. Ours is a free economy. We do not need to build a bureaucracy to make it function. It already does so.

I do want to point out that one should not have to wait to be elected to support an agreement between business owners, if one really believes in it. And I smell good, I suppose, because I am sweet.

Moderator All right, before we get to Matthew's answer, we have a few follow-up remarks. Corlanthis, let's start with you. Matthew darling, I promise we'll get to your response to the original question right after this.

Corlanthis Wystansayr Thank you. You spoke of the need for examination laws. I'm curious as to what you feel needs to be examined. As a business owner, I certainly do not require the City to inspect each and every aspect of how I choose to run my business if I'm already doing so within the boundries of the law. Dyarhk Many businesses are already well established and reputable in Rhy"Din, such as Oh Oh. I have no desire to invade privacy on the establishments already set in place. But new businesses are another story entirely. The intent is to create a more knowledgeable database, more easily accessible to see just what buildings these are we're walking by rather than drawing blanks and walking on, when perhaps valuable business trades are being lost.

But perhaps the most important of this is to verify what these businesses are in the business of. I think if I were a small business owner, I would want to know who I'm neighboring.

Moderator And what was the reason you pressed the follow-up light, Dyarhk"

Dyarhk I merely wanted to clarify for Missus Helston that, of course, the office of governor is not a requirement to enforce the Fair Labor Agreement. But certainly, it can help notify the community better about its existence, and of course, importance. That is all.

Moderator Thank you. That brings us to Matthew for his answer to Harris's question. What will you do as Governor to assist or support small businesses, and why do you smell so good"

Matthew Simon Thank you for the questions, Harris. To address the first part - as I mentioned in my initial campaign speech, I'm seeking expand Rhy"Din's trade and exports - our influence outside these city walls - which would, should you choose to export Alpha, present growth opportunities for both you and the line. Owning and operating a small business, as you and I both know, is difficult. I'm not saying that the government will economically subsidise small businesses or that it has the monetary resources to do so...it's not something that's been practiced with consistency in the past nor something that the government can sustain for a lengthy period of time.

However, the government can render small-business aid in other ways that are not monetary - education and development being two of those methods. Business can still help business, even with the spirit of competition; the two are not mutually exclusive and the more businesses, small, medium or large that succeed in our city, the better for us all.

Corlanthis wants to create a bureaucracy, a "body of administration" as he calls it. That's not necessary, because it already exists - Sheridan Driscol established the Ministry of Trade and Commerce a year ago. Corlanthis should know that. Dyarhk wants to propose a close-examination law...that sounds impressive on the surface. And the Sudden Action Directive. It sounds, again on the surface, forceful and driven.

But its purpose is to expose and drive out criminal businesses and in conjunction with the new law, seemingly, to investigate new businesses before they take root to see if they are entirely legal. It's a good sentiment, but we cannot put too many obstacles in the way that prevent new business from establishing themselves in Rhy"Din Perhaps most disturbingly, his proposal promotes suspicion rather than support of one's neighbor.

Dyarhk, along with his running-mate, should be aware of this since he is running for the office of Governor - we already have the capability he's proposing within the Rhy"Din City Guard. He's proposing what we already have.

We cannot afford to spend our time or our money in duplicating and replicating what already exists. We cannot expend our energies in unfounded suspicion and doubt of one another. Do we need to improve what exists already in capability and function' Depending on who you ask, some may say yes and others no. But we absolutely cannot take backward-steps where none are needed and expect to grow and prosper as we should.

Ms. Al-Amat's basically saying to leave well enough alone and that a lack of regulation or special licensing will allow businesses to thrive. While I agree to a point, success isn't automatic because the government isn't regulating or interfering.

Now, in my opinion, simply giving money to a small business in the hopes it will use that money to prosper is, to me, a short-term solution and one that will fail more often than it succeeds. Educating the owner so he or she is better poised to run a smarter more efficient business will definitely benefit that specific owner and Rhy"Din as a whole in both the short and long terms. We have to look at the whole picture, not just the quickest or easiest solution that will make a given business get off the ground.

As to the second part...I took a shower before I arrived. And I believe I walked by that Alpha booth on the way in, which may be swaying your opinion. While I don't recall you smelling me today, I do appreciate the compliment if you did.

Moderator And it looks like Fionna has a follow-up for Mr. Simon. Please go ahead.

Fionna Helston al Amat I have a follow-up for both candidate Dyarhk and Candidate Simon, if I may' I will try to keep it brief.

Moderator Of course.

Fionna Helston al Amat You (Dyarhk)have proposed 'Examination Laws' to scrutinize new businesses so that others in the community will feel more comfortable about - I want to phrase this as you did - 'who their neighbors are'. You send chills up my spine and everyone here should be worried about the intent there. Such things always start small but reach beyond the original intent.

I say firmly, Rhy"Din does not need even well-meaning oversight such as that. Where will it stop" No. No.

But I want to speak to Matt Simon's intended economic policy as well, because so far tonight he has been somewhat misleading.

Moderator After Mrs. al-Amat give the rest of her follow-up, we have to move to the next question. Please save further concerns or comments regarding this question for your closing remarks.

Fionna Helston al Amat And frankly, his economic policy may be just as dangerous.

Mr. Simon's proposal involves reviewing "every establish trade route in and out of Rhy"Din to see which, if any, should be expanded, and which, if any, benefit us no longer." I quote this directly from Mr. Simon's campaign speech because I want each and every one of you here to hear that and understand exactly what is implicit in such a plan. What he is proposing is governmental control of what has been, until now - if he has his way - free trade channels. He talks about reviewing existing partnerships and agreements and determining which the government will permit to continue unmolested, which the government will decide needs to be changed, and which the government deems no longer necessary....He is not simply talking about expansion, as he would have you believe tonight.

In essence, he is proposing the elimination of free trade in Rhy"Din. And frankly, I say we cannot allow it. Rhy"Din is unique in all of the multiverse, both in its diversity and prosperity. I would argue that this is primarily because we have not tried to limit and control the organic and natural economic growth that occurs when individuals and corporations are allowed to offer their goods for sale and individuals and corporations are free to purchase those goods. Without governmental oversight.

Again, I say clearly, Rhy"Din does not want this, and I believe the polls will prove it out. No. ———- Transcript of the 2011 Rhy?Din Gubernatorial Debates provided through funding from the Alberion Institute of Sociology.  

FioHelston

Date: 2011-05-18 14:43 EST
Primary Topic: Slavery Stance Secondary Topics: Fair Labor Agreement, Economic Policies Transcript of the 2011 Rhy"Din Gubernatorial Debates provided through funding from the Alberion Institute of Sociology.

Moderator Well, that first question lasted a bit longer than I thought it would, but that takes us to our second of the evening, from Baron Alain DeMuer. This time we'll mix things up and the first response will be given by Dyarhk, followed by Fionna, Matthew, and finally Corlanthis. Baron DeMuer, please stand and ask your question at this time.

Well, Dyarhk, you heard the question, and the first response goes to you. (What is your stance for or against the institution of slavery in Rhy"Din" And if you take no stance, why")

Dyarhk Thank you, Morana.

Ah yes, slavery. This is a very sensitive subject, as has been in past debates. While I do not like slavery, one cannot ignore its intricately woven roots in our economy and our way of life. My stance is to allow it as it is currently. I have been to several realms where slavery is so common as to be seen in every household. It is not such a despicable thing, though there are some cases here that will attest otherwise. Some things could, and should demand intervention with force from the Watch. Slavery is one thing, torture is another, and it's just a few other steps away from murder, and the citizen's will not be electing a governor that lets this simply happen if you elect me as governor.

Moderator Ms. al-Amat, your question. What is your stance for or against the institution of slavery in Rhy"Din" And if you take no stance, why'

Fionna Helston al Amat Unlike some of the other candidates, I have always been unequivocal about my firm anti-slavery stance. Let me say it again here, so that no one misunderstands me. Slavery is wrong. I divorced my first husband precisely because he became involved in the trade and refused to desist. Some of you here tonight know what I suffered as a result.

I say it again: slavery is wrong. But it is not a problem that the government can solve. It is a business. The only law that can control it is the law of supply and demand. That is why, as a member of the business community in Rhy"Din, I am proud to have committed to the Fair Labor Agreement. Businesses throughout our community are joining together to state their resolution NOT to support the slave trade by refusing to do business with suppliers and distributors who engage in it.

Moderator Thank you, Fionna. Matthew, your question. What is your stance for or against the institution of slavery in Rhy"Din" And if you take no stance, why'

Matthew Simon Slavery exists in Rhy"Din already. The institute is here, among us now. If you're asking if I stand behind a policy where the government actively supports and encourages slavery, I do not. As I said during last year's debate, I abhor the practice of slavery and do not believe it necessary. I do not know why Ms. Al-Amat suggests that I support it or have even taken anything but an anti-slavery stance.

I have witnessed slavery's direct effects on people in this city. Some of those people I've known personally. If someone in the Governorship outlawed it, it's the potential for a dangerous precedence. What other rights or freedoms might be taken away because the elected Governor disagreed with a given practice" We all have to ask ourselves that question.

In short, no. If elected Governor, the government will not take an active role in supporting slavery. Or a passive one, for that matter. Thank you.

Moderator Well, Corlanthis hit the follow-up query light, but he also has the next chance to answer the original question. Corlanthis, would you like to combine your follow-up with your response"

Corlanthis A follow-up for Candidate Simon before I begin. Ah. Matt. Would those be the same rights and freedoms being taken away from the population when they're enslaved against their will" Mm. No. Your two years in office have already answered that, no need to reply.

Slavery. Well. Many of you might have heard my stance on that last year. But I was called from the election by a pressing matter. See. I withdrew last year because someone very close to me was enslaved against her will. And I choose not to be a part of a system that allowed such practices to occur. I will not be a party to those events.

Let me be quite firm on this. I do not support slavery. I do not support it implicitly. I do not support it explicitly. I do not support it in a house. I do not support it with a mouse. I. Do. Not. Support. Slavery. And this one issue, if you wish to see seriousness from me, you will find it in.

Now. Candidate Simon did have one point. And it was a point I was unable to deal with last year. Slavery is entrenched, no denying that. But as Governor we have the tools to remove that infection from the city. Oh, not through anything so gauche as laws, no. But it is with the business decisions I can make that I can spread the word that Slavery in Rhy'din will not be profitable!

Now, I cannot tell private buyers how to conduct business. But as a signatory of the Fair Labor Agreement, I can make the decision not to support it through my actions and the actions of own business. And as Governor, I can do the same for the city itself in all of its business dealings. Any..ah yes. Any more questions?"

Moderator It looks like we have a follow-up from Mr. Simon and then one from Dyarhk. After that we have one more audience question before we get to closing remarks.

Matthew Simon I do not support slavery. Ms. Al-Amat does not support slavery. Mr. Wystansayr does not support slavery. I think we three would all be much happier if the practice did not exist at all, or at the very least in Rhy"Din.

If Mr. Wystansayr's saying that somehow, in my two years as Governor, I enslaved Rhy"Din, I will set aside, for the purposes of this debate, the great offense I feel at that statement and say only this: the people of Rhy"Din elected me to the Governor's post. I did not seize or usurp the seat. I did not, have not, and will not enslave anyone nor will I or have I ever become some sort of dictator to exert some sort of political slavery. Such insinuations are patently untrue, blatantly false, and there should be no place for them in this forum.

Corlanthis Wystansayr You had two years in office to effect even the most minor change and you did nothing. You support it by inaction. Do not dare to claim otherwise. Moderator Thank you, Matthew. Corlanthis, please use the follow-up lights for further responses to the candidates directly. Dyarhk, you had a follow-up comment"

Dyarhk Cor...my response is to you. My stance on slavery, confusing as it was to Miss Benandanti, is rightfully so; it is rightfully complex. There is no Yes or No answer to taking a position to deal with slavery, in the power of office, in Rhy"Din. It is nothing that simple, and that is how it should be regarded if it is going to be dealt with at all in office. Either active OR passively.

Cor, are you aware of the repercussions you would face as governor on such an outspoken stance against slavery' Are you prepared for any revolt or retaliation on such a powerful trade" Can we, as Rhy"Din, live with what may happen if slavers choose to let us known in their own 'declaration' their disapproval of such an open stance against them' It's an unnecessary risk. ———- Transcript of the 2011 Rhy"Din Gubernatorial Debates provided through funding from the Alberion Institute of Sociology.  

FioHelston

Date: 2011-05-18 14:45 EST
Primary Topic: Contingency Plan in Event of Prolonged/Unexpected Vacancy of Post Transcript of the 2011 Rhy"Din Gubernatorial Debates provided through funding from the Alberion Institute of Sociology.

Moderator If there are no further responses to this question, let's move onto our final audience question of the evening. As a reminder, you will all have a chance to give your closing remarks before we're done for the night.

Tonight's final question is from Lucius DeAuster, and will be answered by Fionna, Matthew, Corlanthis and then Dyarhk. Mr. DeAuster, please stand and ask your question at this time. (What provisions do you plan to take in case of a prolonged or unexpected absence during your term, if elected")

Fionna Helston al Amat Thank you for the very relevant question, Lord DeAuster. While I am a resident of this city and have absolutely no plans to absent myself from it or the office if elected, what happened this year is an occurrence no one anticipated. Should I find that I will be unable for an extended period of time to fulfill my duties as governor, I will turn to the citizens of Rhy"Din and request that a replacement be selected through special election. But I give you my word now, that I do not anticipate such a need will arise if I am elected.

Moderator Thank you, Mrs. al-Amat. Mr. Simon, your response. What provisions do you plan to take in case of a prolonged or unexpected absence during your term, if elected"

Matthew Simon I believe part of Sheridon Driscol's intent in forming the Ministries was to ensure the government would run in the case of the Governor's extended absence. Some of the candidates have chosen to run with someone at their side, however silent they may be.

As far as my own plan - you can see I'm not running with a partner. The Ministries have, if nothing else, proven capable of keeping the city running for an extended period of time, but I do not believe they should necessarily do so.

I am in agreement with Ms. Al-Amat. Should the Governorship be abandoned or vacant for an extended period, and I realize the length of that period would need to be solidified first, I too believe a special election should take place. The people should have a voice and direct influence, through the vote, in determining who sits in the Governor's seat. Like Ms. Al-Amat, I don't plan to vacate the seat, but I'm relatively sure that Sheridan Driscol didn't plan to either, so the contingency that Mr. DeAuster has asked about is an important one. Thank you for the question.

Moderator Thank you, Matthew. Corlanthis, the question moves to you.

Corlanthis Wystansayr A fair question, Lord DeAuster, and a very good one. No one of us intends to simply vanish, upon which I am sure we are all agreed. But accidents do happen, here more often than other places. To that end I am running with a partner. Should I be unable to carry out the full length of my term in office, then Taneth Mercer shall serve as Governor in my he- pardon. Ahem. In my stead. And quite frankly, I think the city could do a little much worse than Taneth going around giving hugs out, every day.

Moderator Dyarhk, the question moves to you. What provisions do you plan to take in case of a prolonged or unexpected absence during your term, if elected"

Dyarhk A very good question, Mr. DeAuster. I will admit, Governor Driscol's time away has been unacceptable and is my strongest dislike of his term. As for my preventative measures to ensure the seat is never left unattended, my structure is not very different from Cor's, at all.

This is my running mate for lieutenant governor, Gregory Finder. He is an experienced off-world member of a police body not unlike Rhy"Din's Watch, and a once politician. The chair of office, if and when I cannot fully devote myself to it, will be under his wise years of experience.

I assure the Rhy"Din people, neither of us will be far from it, and I can add with further assurance the likelihood that neither of us will disappear on you. Moderator It looks like we have a follow-up or two. Please keep it brief, lovelies, we're coming to the end of our time. Mr. Simon and then Mr. Wystansayr, please. Matthew Simon Just something for Mr. Wystansayr and Dyarhk to consider in regards to the running-mate position. If something happens to both themselves and their running mates, leaving the Governor's seat vacant, what then" Is a running mate the final solution to the problem posed by Mr. DeAuster" I would argue that no, it's not.

Moderator And your follow-up comment, darling"

Corlanthis Wystansayr This follow-up is for (disruptive audience member), lest the esteemed Gentleman think he is being ignored. Let it not be said I ignore the will of the. ...heh"people. Now. Mr. (disruptive audience member). You asked who supported the Fair Labor Agreement' You can bet your overpriced waistcoat that I do.

———- Transcript of the 2011 Rhy"Din Gubernatorial Debates provided through funding from the Alberion Institute of Sociology.

FioHelston

Date: 2011-05-18 14:47 EST
Closing Remarks Transcript of the 2011 Rhy"Din Gubernatorial Debates provided through funding from the Alberion Institute of Sociology.

Moderator Thank you all, darlings! This concludes our audience question portion of the evening, and it's time for the candidates to present their closing remarks. We'll begin this time with Matthew Simon, followed by Fionna Helston al-Amat, Dyarhk, and conclude with Corlanthis Wystansayr. It's getting late so please try to be concise so we can all get off our feet.

Matthew Simon We've dealt with some hot-button and important topics tonight while there are more on the table that deserve discussion. I'm sure more will be said and written in the coming days, after which you will make your decision as to who will lead Rhy"Din over this next year. As far as candidates, I am the most prepared to lead Rhy"Din. Will I please or be supported by every person who lives here" No, none of us will be quite that lucky.

Will I make decisions that are designed to benefit Rhy"Din and each one of you? Yes, always. It's what I've done in the past and what I will continue to do. We are Rhy"Din! All of us, together, even with our disagreements.

We must take our next steps together. I ask for your trust in leading us in those steps. I ask for your support and your votes come election day. Thank you, each one of you, for your investment in this debate, in this election, and in us as candidates. I wish you all a pleasant evening and look forward to speaking with you again soon. We are Rhy"Din!

Moderator Thank you, Mr. Simon. Mrs. al-Amat, your closing remarks, please"

Fionna Helston al Amat Do not mistake past tenure for preparation. It is time for new leadership from someone willing to take a stand for what they believe. You've heard what we have had to say tonight. Now ask yourselves what you want, citizens of Rhy"Din. More of the same empty promises" Or someone willing to follow the true will of the people"

Moderator Thank you very much, Mrs. al-Amat. Dyarhk, would you like to give your closing remarks at this time"

Dyarhk I would yes. Thank you all very much; Morana, for being such a splendid host tonight, and the people of Rhy"Din for bringing your questions and your ears tonight. I would like to thank my fellow contenders for bringing up their points and showing what we have all wanted to see here tonight in regards to Rhy"Din being a safe place to live tomorrow, and every day after. You've heard from the other contenders, and you've heard from me. It is up to you now to decide who will run the most beneficial election term for Rhy"Din. I have only this to say on-top of doing the things and the good job I have promised, and it is that if Rhy"Din should decide I am not their governor, then that is fine. But I will continue to push my knowledge and usefulness on these issues of homelessness and illegal operations, and continue to provide for the Rhy"Din people in the citizen's shoes we all wear.

I am confident in this outcome, because that is who the governor should always listen to: the people. I would like to thank those citizens from the Dwarven Mountain Lords' refugee camp for being present here tonight. Your case is a very real one and we see it. You very bravely and courageously came to attend here tonight, and I think stand for a very good cause.

One of the many things on our agenda is to not provide temporary settlement for citizens already established here, but resettle them back in the permanent homes they deserve. Rhy"Din is a diverse city, we've all understood this one way or another, be it you come from Earth and see magic performed here for the first time, or you come from an alternate walk of life where magic is very strange or does not sit well with you such as the one I walk, and see more wagons and horses than spaceships and complex machinery.

They say pick the one, right tool for the job. I do not think that is the case with a single governor for Rhy"Din, not with its incredible diversity and the proper care and attention that demands. No one candidate here has lived a life of old Rhy"Din understanding, and one of its more technological influences. With a governor and lieutenant governor, walk out of here tonight asking yourself which governor body is best equipped for your needs. Thank you.

Moderator Thank you, Dyarhk. Mr. Wystansayr, would you please give the crowd your closing remarks"

Corlanthis Wystansayr Sparklefish. Proprieter of Omelettes O'Plenty. Official for the Duels. Many of you have seen me in one of these capacities or another. Many of you know me from different roles entirely. Would I be the best' That's an interesting word. Best. I don't know that any of us up here are the "Best". We all have our strengths, our weaknesses. But I do know that if elected I shall certainly do the "best" job that I am capable of doing. I can tell you that, of course, but should you truly wish to see if I can live up to my words, then vote me in and I'll gladly prove the truth in them.

Now. I wish to address a rumor I've heard going around. It has reached my ears that some think I am trading dates for votes of myself for Governor. Those rumors are absolutely true. Vote for me, and show me evidence of that fact and I will happily treat you to a night on the town! Thank you!"

Moderator Well, that wraps up our Gubernatorial Debate. I'd like to thank all of the candidates for appearing tonight, and I'd like to thank each and every one of you in the audience for attending to show your support and interest in our potential Governors! You've been a lovely crowd - with one exception - and it's been a pleasure spending time with you tonight. Remember that voting will take place between May 19th and May 21st, and get your votes in!

———- Transcript of the 2011 Rhy?Din Gubernatorial Debates provided through funding from the Alberion Institute of Sociology.