Topic: A Job to Do

Wolvinator

Date: 2007-12-13 17:31 EST
The back door to the Red Dragon in opened into the night, as the light from inside streamed into the dimly lit alley. It was just after dusk, so it was not completely dark yet, however there was a distinct cloud cover over the city. There was a gentle dusting of snow on the ground, as more large snowflakes were gently falling to the ground. It hadn?t been snowing for long, and it probably wouldn?t either by the looks of things.

From the open door stepped a robe figure, he was leaving the rather loud Inn on this evening, and in search for someone that he knew would be in the alley. There were times, many times in fact, that he didn?t enjoy being inside the inn on such a night. There was entirely too much commotion and too many busy bodies talking, but never quite acting. He honestly didn?t feel that way about everyone, as there were quite a few of his friends inside as he thought that, yet that was his feeling at the moment and was made him want to strive to be Governor. So that way he would act, rather then just fall into the socialite scene. Moving over to a pile of black trash bags, Wolvinator could just make out some jeans and a pair of working boots sticking out awkwardly from the pile.

He was right where he knew he?d be.

The alley was vacant, besides the man ?sleeping? in the pile of trash. There was a rank smell of stale urine and vomit from the person?s direction, but it wasn?t clear if it was actually coming from him or just around him. The person looked like he was a regular drunk, dressed like a longshoreman that came right off of his shift and immediately drank himself into an unconscious stupor.

?Hey?? Wolvinator said as he kicked a trash bag that the man?s leg was draped over.

?Get up, I got somethin? fer ya.?

Dolus Gairu

Date: 2007-12-13 18:55 EST
He snorted as the bag was kicked out from under his leg. He rolled over then, spilling over the bags he had been lying on like a passed out drunk. Wordless and angry-sounding mumbles bubbled forth from his lips as he struggled to his feet, swaying as he did so. The stench of liquor wafted up from his entire body.

Dolus Gairu stood unsteadily on his feet and fixed him with a disjointed stare, one eye opened wide and the other squinting in a scrutinizing expression.. He wiped a filthy hand across his face and blinked several times before he glanced up and down the alley. His nostrils flared with an intake of breath, and the scratch to his abdomen that followed served to hide the surreptitious tapping at the device strapped above his waist.

A moment passed. Wolvinator raised an eyebrow at him. ?C?mon. You think I got sloppy? We?re clear.?

Another moment passed, and then Dolus?s stance changed. He stood up straight, legs spaced shoulder-length apart. His world-weary expression faded from his face, to be replaced with a wry grin. The glassy-eyed look in his eyes was replaced by a look of keen observation.

?You know me,? he said, and his speech was markedly different from the apparently drunken mumblings of a few moments before. ?I like to be careful.?

Wolvinator smirked at him. ?Captain Paranoid.?

?Hey, please,? Dolus said, a false expression of hurt sliding onto his face. ?That?s Admiral Paranoid.?

As if the word had reminded him, he took another glance up and down the street. His expression returned to its glassy-eyed state for a brief moment as he turned inward, feeling for the strange energy signatures that had been present since his arrival. Apparently satisfied all was clear, he turned his attention back to Wolvinator.

?Okay, I?m up. What?s this something??

Wolvinator

Date: 2007-12-13 19:47 EST
Wolvinator smiled as he watched Dolus for a moment, the man? never changed. Well, he changed in his own way, but he was still Dolus. His blue eyes shifted down the alley as he placed his hands behind his back, and spread his legs apart a bit. The perfect ?at-ease? posture, for the two well trained individuals that they were.

?As ya know, I?m headin? out to the Exodii system for the ?First Contact? situation and Alystrianna is coming along.?

?Right.?

?And, I?m also getting busy with this whole campaign process for the Gubernatorial spot.? Dolus nodded to him as Wolvie continued on.

?Well, unfortunately I?ll be leaving for Exodii shortly, but I?ve picked up somethin? of interest, and it?s right up yer alley.?

Wolvinator took a small PADD from his robe now, and quickly passed it over into Dolus?s hands.

?I?ve picked up a transponder signal comin? from the Southern Desert, it?s faint? and it seems to be intermittent. From the looks of it though, it?s a distress call.?

?From a ship, I take it??

?From the looks of it, yes. I haven?t picked anything up on sensors, but I imagine it might be below the surface, especially if it?s a vessel that crashed.? Dolus took a moment to look around the Alley again, as Wolvinator continued to talk. The paranoia for his cover being blown clearly shining through at this moment in time, as careful as he has been.

?I told Ren to keep an eye out for it at the Estate, she?ll be watching over Security in my absence. But? I think actually investigating it will give ya somethin? to do.?

?Yeah?? Dolus started. ?Things have been rather? quiet lately.?

?Exactly, and since I can?t go myself, yer the only person I?d trust to go at this alone, let alone? wouldn?t be worried about.?

?I?m a big boy. You know I can take care of myself.?

?Exactly.? Wolvinator nodded as he responded. ?Keep me informed while I?m on the Xavier. If anything heavy pops up, contact me immediately, so I can pull yer rear end out.?

?Hey, isn?t that why I?m here? To save YOUR rear end??

?Well yeah, but still? all the times you come to my aid, might be nice to come to yours once and a while.?

Dolus Gairu

Date: 2007-12-13 20:29 EST
"Jeez, go ahead and jinx me, why don't ya? You know that when you have to save my ass it's cause I went and did something that's about to get not one, but six different universes all blowed up."

Dolus tapped a few keys on the PADD and nodded before he flicked his wrist. The PADD seemed to vanish, no doubt hidden somewhere among the baggy clothing he wore.

"Anyway, southern desert, eh? Not exactly an easy trip. Gonna be hard to get out of the city with enough supplies without drawing too much attention."

"What...You not up for it?"

"I didn't say that. I'm just saying: you never ask for anything easy."

"I could always get ya a nice sweet job babysittin' for some kids or somethin', if this big boy stuff's too hard for ya."

"No, thanks. I'll take mysterious signals in the middle of a barren dessert over the terrible-twos any day of the week."

Wolvinator grinned at him. "Yer call."

Dolus looked down at his wrinkled clothing. "Well it'll be nice to wear something that doesn't stink of sweat, dirt, and alcohol for once."

"Yeah, yer gonna be down to just sweat and dirt."

"Hardy har har. Just keep my secure comm channel open, okay? I got my contingency plans-"

Wolvinator interrupted him. "And yer contingency plans for yer contingency plans, and yer backup contingency plans for yer contingency plans for your contingency plans, and your secondary backup plans for your-"

"All of that," Dolus said, smirking as he cut him off. "You're tertiary backup plan, so keep the channel clear, okay?"

"So don't use it ta gossip with Aly about shoes? Cause that's what I was gonna use it for, ya clown."

"All right, all right. Just making sure, you know. I can be a little pa-"

"Paranoid? Never woulda guessed."

Dolus rolled his eyes and then dropped out of his straight-backed stance. He slumped over and began to sway unsteadily on his feet again. In moments, the figure of a healthy, confident man was replaced with the figure of a miserable drunkard.

"Ah'll see you lay-dur den, misstur," the apparently drunk man said, offering a sloppy salute as he began to stumble, mumble, and curse his way down the alleyway. A few moments later he'd turned the corner, half-singing and half-muttering some forgotten tune as he went.

Wolvinator

Date: 2007-12-13 20:54 EST
The moment seemed to change without a hitch, a segue from one thing to a next. These men were definitely true professionals. Wolvie?s posture changed immediately, acting a bit more conservative and hidden beneath his robe. Each man changed in their own way, going back to the roles they had played previously.

?Friggen? drunks, this town needs a serious face lift.?

Wolvinator shook his head and also made his way out of the alley, and in the opposite direction of Dolus. He was quite confident in knowing that the situation was in good hands, perhaps even better hands then his own. He truly wanted to accompany the man on this situation, as they haven?t worked ?together? on something in a while. But perhaps that time was coming sooner then later, and Wolvie would be keeping his eye out, despite where his journey would be taking him.

The investigation into the Southern desert had begun.