Topic: Doppleganger

Wolvinator

Date: 2010-03-24 02:29 EST
There?s very few things that actually get to me anymore.

Ya can?t help but encounter yer Garden variety scumbag walkin? the streets. But that?s usual. I?ve had my left threatened more times than I can count, and only about half of ?em actually attempt to go through with their threats. There?s a reason why I?m still breathin?, that?s cuz none of these clowns have ever made me take my final breath. But like I said, that ain?t even what?s botherin? me. It?s what Betsy said to me the other night that really opened up an old wound.

A familiar face came strollin? in the other night. Elizabeth ?Betsy? Braddock. While her face might be familiar to me, in this topsy-turvy multiverse of a planet, that?s about the only thing about her that?s familiar.

She ain?t the Betsy I know.

The Betsy I know woulda known better than to call me that. Part of me can?t blame her, she doesn?t know me from Adam. I mean, I look myself in the goddamned mirror every f*ckin? day, and I don?t see it. I didn?t see it then, and I sure as hell don?t see it now. Fer starters, we don?t have the same hair; that?s the most noticeable thing. We?ve both got blue eyes, big friggen? deal. I?ve got a good seven inches on ?em, I keep my beard trimmed up nice and right, and I don?t talk with a friggen? ?aie? in my accent, even when I am talkin? in my proper Starfleet tone.

I?m not Logan.

Lemme be clear here, I got nothin? against the guy. We?ve had a run in once or twice, sure, but I ain?t got nothin? against ?em. My only problem is, I?m not him.

As far as I know, he was the first. The first, that is, that actually took to the Adamantium bondin? process. We?ve got some similarities, I?ll admit to that. We were both part of the Weapon Plus project, we both got Adamantium infused into our bones, we both have deadly retractable claws comin? out of our hands, we both went apesh*t on the Weapon Plus facilities, and we both can get a pretty mean temper.

But that?s it.

He was Weapon X; Dolus, Sabre and myself? we were Weapon twelve. It took me a long time to figure it out, but we were made to basically hunt down the previous Weapon X participants and eliminate ?em. As many times as this Adamantium has saved my a*s I still gotta admit, the thought of me bein? a programmable weapon at one point makes me feel uneasy. But what?s even worse than that is bein? compared to him. No check that, that aint even it?

It?s bein? called a clone.

That's what really does it.

I?m my own man. Always have been, always will be. I kept the name Wolvinator, and I?ve got my reasons fer that, but I am not a Wolverine Terminator. That word, when it?s used in reference to me, get?s under my skin. I can?t help it, it just does. They modeled me after that guy. They tried to make me stronger, faster, and better than him. When people look at me, is that really all they see? A friggen? copycat?

We?re two people with some things in common. That?s it. It?s funny, I doubt when he walks around people don?t think he?s me. It?s a one way street, and I?m tired of drivin? down it.

I?m exaggeratin? a little here. It?s not like this happens everyday of my life. But like I said, when it does happen it strikes me down to the core. It?s not an easy feelin?, knowin? that you were shaped after someone else. When yer not unique, when there?s someone else out there just like you, it takes a little bit of that ?hey, yer special? thing away from ya.

It?s sorta like every time I see that Marek Kharune guy. I just wanna grab ?em up by his throat and tell ?em what to go do with himself. I really don?t have any good reason to do so, aside from the fact that this guy actually looks a helluva lot like Logan. But like I said, Rhy?Din is this topsy-turvy multiverse, so maybe he?s some distant alternate reality version of Logan, I dunno.

I can?t really blame this new Betsy fer what she said. She probably doesn?t even realize she said it to me, or that I'd take it the way I did. To her, it was a simple case of mistaken identity. To me, she thought I was him, and that?s just like pointin? me out and callin? me a clone. I took a deep breath though, let it pass, and just corrected her. She can easily see the difference now, and that puts my mind at ease. It?ll happen again at some point, it?s bound to happen, but I just gotta deal with it each time it comes up.

I?ve gotta live with it. I?ve been livin? with it fer over thirty-years. But that doesn?t mean I gotta like it. He may be the best there is at what he does, but then again, so am I.