Topic: Man on the Street

Dolus Gairu

Date: 2007-12-23 20:21 EST
It's harder than it looks.

"Get 'im, Syril!"

That's Gebbin. He's a little guy, maybe about five-foot two. He's an idiot, and he's a psychopath. He's one of Syril's guys, but that's only until he works up the courage to stick a knife in Syril's neck some night.

The fist comes swinging towards my face. It's a big fist, with grotesque, bulging knuckles that are covered in wiry black hair. It belongs to Syril, a half-orc half-who-the-hell-knows who's even more grotesque than his bulging knuckles. He's got about eight inches of height on me and about twice my apparent body mass. He's also got a forehead like a Klingon Crash Test Dummy, and about as much brains.

He makes up for his lack of intelligence with sheer stupid strength, and that's what makes this whole thing so much more difficult.

See, I'm trying to show one Mr. Lazarin Hundar that I'm a pathetic drunk who couldn't possibly be hanging around his seedy establishment (The Hangman's Noose - great name for a bar, I have to admit) to spy on him. The best way to do that is to drink a lot of booze, mumble a few insults about the First Orc Nation of Metahuman Awareness (or whatever it's called) while in earshot of Syril and his band of idiots, and try to make it look good when they kick the crap out of me.

Which is, as I said, harder than it looks.

Syril may be an idiot, but he could probably bench press a few thousand pounds if he had to. He's a seasoned fighter, judging from what I've seen. Let's put it this way: He's good enough to get kicked out of one of the underground fighting rings here for ripping some guy's ears off. Apparently that was against the rules. Who knew?

The point is, Syril knows what he's doing, drunk as he is. And that means when he swings his fist at me, it's a nearly perfect punch. I could almost marvel at the way his left foot pivots as he shifts his weight along the angle of the punch, but that would be a very bad idea.

Cause if I let Syril hit me dead in the face with a few hundred, maybe even a few thousand pounds of force, three things are going to happen.

One: it's gonna hurt.

Two: Syril's going to shatter his hand.

And three, everyone in this stupid bar is going to know that I'm not quite the pathetic drunk I worked so damn hard at being. So that means...

The impact of his fist smacks wetly across my cheek. At that instant, I'm already pushing off the ground with my right foot and swiveling away from the blow. I jerk my head around, using the momentum of Syril's punch to propel myself backwards. I spin in midair and do my very best not to squeeze my eyes shut in anticipation of flopping lifelessly down onto the very hard chair in my way.

I land on top of it with a heavy crash, sending splinters of wood flying all over. Someone hisses in a breath of air, a sympathetic wince at how hard I went down. The groan I let out is definitely NOT an act. That hurt like hell.

Syril doesn't shake his hand up and down in pain, but he does flex his fingers a few times as he stomps over to me. A gruff voice tells him to teach me a lesson, and a moment later I feel him pick me up by the back of my shirt. He hauls me up, grinning with a mouthful of ugly teeth, and with an angry grunt of exertion (I'm heavier than I look, but Syril's too angry and too dumb to notice) he throws me outside.

What follows is a stunning example of method acting, as I allow myself to be stomped by an angry half-orc for nearly ten minutes in the middle of the street. When it's over, and when I'm coated in enough of my own blood to hide the fact that I'm hardly bruised (which is not to say, hardly hurting, cause: OW) and that my wounds are pretty much gone, Syril spits on me, kicks a little dust in my face (thanks for the added cover, fella) and leaves me to wallow in my defeat.

I lie there for a while, waiting to see if anyone in the bar will actually be foolish enough or decent enough to come out and help me. Nobody does. Seems like that's the name of the game in this city. It's about as "see no evil" as you can get. Everyone's terrified to step into someone else's business.

So I pick myself up, stumble off to the little hovel I'm using as my "home" and try not to think about what kind of microorganisms were floating around in Syril's spit.

Next planet, Wolvie gets to be undercover guy.

Dolus Gairu

Date: 2007-12-29 16:57 EST
The following refers to events that occured in liveRP several days ago

Well how was I supposed to know she was a bounty hunter!?

I was just trying to get into the inn. I went the way I always went, stumbling down the alley behind the inn. You get less attention that way, and anyone who's paid me any mind in the last few weeks wouldn't think anything strange about drunken old Dolus staggering down the back alleyways.

Nobody would find it all that strange either if he got a little freaked out when he comes upon a man and a woman with guns pointed at each others' heads. I'm good at keeping up the persona of the cowardly drunkard in a situation like that.

Except this was different. The woman in question was a woman named Faye. I'd been briefed on her, and I do so emphasise the word "brief." I knew Wolvie knew her, and I knew Wolvie respected her. I also know that if she got her head blown off when I could do something to stop it, Wolvie might be just a tad perturbed about the whole thing.

But that was okay, I could deal with the situation without dropping my cover. I'm a professional, after all. I deal with this kind of crap all the time. If I didn't drop my cover when some green freak with a lightsaber was trying to slice my head off, I wasn't about to drop it just cause I walked into a classic stand-off.

Yeah. Sure I wasn't.

It was going so well at first, and that should have tipped me off. Random criminals who want to shoot each other will do it whether an innocent bystander walks by or not. Two professionals, on the other hand, will calm down and wait for the coast to be clear. Most professionals, anyway.

So when I, the town drunk, made a big stink about not wanting to get shot and asked them to lower their guns, I shouldn't have accepted their obedience so easily. The girl, Faye, and the guy - let's call him DumbJerk - both lowered their guns.

So far, so good, right?

But then DumbJerk has to go and ruin it. Hardly had chance to take a breath before he's tossing out knives from under his coat like some bad stage magician. Only instead of trying to pop balloons around his gorgeous assistant's head, he was throwing them at this Faye girl.

And so I, like the true dunce that I am, go leaping in front of her. This is one of those reasons they don't put me in charge of the fleets anymore (at least not unless the shit has REALLY hit the fan) Savior complex, they call it. Idiocy, I call it.

So bye-bye, cover. Dolus the town drunk could fly under the radar, but Dolus who gets four throwing knives to his fleshy and organ-filled midsection and gets up to talk about it isn't exactly a blend-in-with-the-crowd type.

Long story short? They're bounty hunters. The both of them, and they're each of them hunting the other.

MIGHT HAVE BEEN NICE IF SOMEONE HAD INCLUDED THAT IN THE BRIEFING!

Bah.

At that point the commotion got Wolvie's attention from inside the Inn, and he showed up to kind of smooth things over and give me a chance to make my escape. He did his best to protect my cover, but it was blown all to hell by that point, and I was pissy enough to announce it to the whole world anyway.

It occurs to me.

There's always a beautiful woman involved when I blow my cover.

Sigh.

Dolus Gairu

Date: 2008-01-01 20:52 EST
I'm an observer.

No, not those freaky guys that hold their brains in a pan. I mean I watch people. I notice things. Knowledge is power, and observation is one of the best ways to learn about the people and places all around you.

When you're the town drunk who's half-passed out in a booth or laid out in the alley, it's easy to observe and not interfere. At least until some goddamn bounty hunters start throwing their goddamn knives all over the goddamn place!

Sorry. Lemme get back on track.

The point is, I pay attention to things around me, and more than that, I can't always keep myself from getting involved. The act of observing without interfering is one that requires a hell of a lot of finesse, and, well, that's just not always me.

Not always.

It's why even when I was the town drunk I nearly got my head sliced off by a dark jedi type, walked into the middle of a gun battle between an orc and a couple of vampires, and managed to eventually get four knives implanted into my guts. Don't even get me started on the weird chick who brought me to the abstract representation of Time as we know it.

All that, and I was supposed to be laying low. Maybe that gives some kind of indication of the crap I'm getting into now.

There are dragons everywhere around here. Everywhere I turn it's dragon, dragon, dragon. Big ones, little ones, ones-that-look-like-nice-girls-but-then-they-go-cr azy-when-their-evil-crystal-pacemaker-malfunctions . They're everywhere. If they aren't getting shot by orcs then they're getting into snowball fights and then turning evil for a few minutes before nearly dissipating into nothingness.

Confused? Good. Now you know how I feel.

But you know what? You'd think with all these dragons running around, and you'd think with all these people running around with lightsabers and magic swords and god knows what else, you'd think that some of them would, I dunno...Get involved. I feel like every time I take two steps I'm walking into another life-or-death situation: someone's been kidnapped, someone's been killed, someone's been turned to ash, someone's been dragonnapped, someone's soul is too weak to exist, someone's half-dead in the gutter, someone's scared out of their mind and shooting guns off in the middle of the inn.

And throughout all of that, it's like nobody seems to care. There was an honest-to-goodness crazy person speaking gibberish and shooting bullets all over the inn the other night. I tried to talk her down, but I don't speak crazy - not without a few gigajoules tearing through me at least. The talking part didn't work out so well, and this one guy started mouthing off at what a bad job I was doing, so I figured I'd let him take a shot at it - not literally, of course.

So he of course doesn't do much better, and soon she's threatening to start shooting again. What am I gonna do, just stand there and let her blast a hole in my face? What if that bullet ricochets off my skull and some poor defenseless angel-dragon-jedi-demon gets a new whole in the heart? That's gonna be on my head. Literally, this time.

The girl wasn't much of a shooter, luckily, so I managed to disarm her. So what did she do?

She started crying.

And what did the smart-ass who thought I was doing such a bad job do to try and calm her down? He tried to give her the gun back!

People's priorities, man. It's crazy.

In the end she got her gun back, mostly because I wasn't willing to resort to blows with this guy over it, but I made sure to empty the clip before I gave it back to them.

Of course if I find out she hurt someone with that gun, then I'm going to have to have a little sit down with the both of them, and nobody wants that.

Keep your fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I'll keep getting involved in more insane situations that everyone else (read: the smart people) seem to just ignore.