Topic: Rebirth

BlackOnyx

Date: 2009-03-31 19:53 EST
It was too bright; my eyes slammed shut in response and the urge to cry out pounded in my chest, climbing up my throat like burning fire up until the sound ripped from me. I scared myself, it was the most startling sound I?d ever heard, was it really me that made that horrific noise? And, what was that annoying chattering noise; it was so loud I could feel it. My teeth, why were my teeth chattering? Shivering, people shiver because they are cold. Was I cold? My hands felt down my body, I had on clothes, didn?t I? Where had my clothes gone? Why was I soaking wet; no, not wet, sticky, gooey, and cold.

It had been dark for days, I remember the darkness, I think I remember it. It?s very hard to not remember anything. I woke up and I slept, I?m not sure what else happened. But surely I was awake now, well if I would open my eyes again I?d be awake, but it was so bright, it hurt to look. Turning over on the hard ground, I felt the cold, slimy gravel beneath my hands, digging into the soft skin of my belly. I crawled forward slowly, feeling with my hands. How had I gotten here? I wanted to go home. Where was home? Why was I naked? It wasn?t good to be naked and alone, was it? I didn?t know why this was all wrong, but it felt like it should be. Who am I?

?Hello?? My voice; that was my voice? ?Is anyone there?? How could that be me? Was my voice always so velvety, yet sugary sweet like a Siren that tempted even the Gods? I clasped a hand over my mouth with a gasp and immediately regretted that decision, the goo was covering my mouth, it felt like wet spider webs and I screamed as I clawed at my face to get it off. I felt sharp stabs of pain and the burning that followed, but my hands didn?t slow as my body thrashed on the ground trying to escape the goo that now seemed suffocating. The metallic smell of blood startled me. I sniffed again and again, was someone else with me?

?Hello?? My mouth ached when I opened it to speak and it suddenly dawned on me that the pain and the blood belonged together, they belonged to me. I screamed again and thrashed but this time my nails bit into my palms as I realized what I had done. Panic attack. I panicked and I attacked myself. Had I lost my mind? I felt my face again, feeling deep gouges that covered my cheeks, my lips, and my neck. Did I do that? Scurrying across the ground I could feel the gravel that seemed to be embedding itself into my legs and the cuts that were resulting, but I needed safety, I was loosing my sanity. The darkness, I didn?t want to go back to the darkness, was that where my mind had put me? Was that my safe haven from the insanity that seemed to be trying to claim me? I was a sane person, wasn?t I? I couldn?t remember.

Again, I tried to open my eyes, I whimpered at the feeling, it hurt, but I had to see where I was. The light was blinding, it was so bright I couldn?t see anything and the goo made my vision hazy. I wiped at my eyes with the backs of my hands, but only succeeded in getting my face even stickier. Blinking slowly, I could see brown and green, and tall brown things, trees I think. It was cool outside, but there didn?t appear to be any snow. Was it Spring already? No flowers. No color. But, fortunately for me, no snow. Something on all fours looked at me; at least its head turned my direction. It gave a loud wail and then ran away. Was there danger lurking?

I scurried back deeper into my hole, my cave, my sanctuary, whatever this place was. Backing myself against a wall I closed my eyes again and rocked myself back and forth, not paying attention to a dark stabbing pain in my back. Rocks, I was just bumping against rocks. Why did the rocks sound hollow when I bumped against them? Crawling forward, I opened my eyes again and then turned to look behind me. I felt the blood rush from my face and the panic rise in me as a blood curdling scream climbed its way from me again. I covered my ears because the sound was so high pitched I felt like my head was going to explode, but I couldn?t stop screaming as I looked at my surroundings for the first time. Bodies, bodies everywhere, in the walls, on the ground.

The gravel wasn?t gravel; it was bones, shards of bone. I covered my mouth, trying not to vomit, but there was nothing in me to come out. I dry heaved over and over and when I realized I had gotten more goo in my mouth, I dry heaved more, spitting the sickening slime from my mouth. Was I in a grave? A mausoleum? This was a sick joke it had to be. Standing on weak legs, I tried to run from it all, but I felt so weak, everything was in slow motion. I spotted a bag, a duffel bag. My duffel bag. I didn?t really know that this bag was mine, but since I seemed to be the only living thing here, I was going to claim it. Grabbing it I moved outside where it was bright, but skeleton free. Unzipping the bag, there was a letter on top.

?Onyx, this was the only way. You?ve been reborn; all will be made clear to you in time. 1407 Grayskull Lane, Rhy?din. ?

Onyx? That?s not my name. Well, I don?t think it?s my name; all that I?ve been through and the best someone could come up with was Onyx? Reborn. What did they mean I was reborn? I guess that would explain the sticky goo, well not really, but I suppose it must have something to do with it. I wanted to scream with frustration, ? all will be made clear to you in time.? Yeah, because that helps me so much. Who am I? Where am I from? Why was I reborn? What was I reborn as? Looking back into the bag, I found a set of clothes, black undergarments, black pants, black shirt, black socks, and black boots that looked heavy and sturdy. I didn?t like them, so at least I knew I didn?t pack this bag. Did I? I didn?t want to get dressed still covered in goo, so I grabbed the bag and moved out into the cool weather, naked as the day I was born. I laughed to myself as I thought of the irony.

The walk seemed to take forever. I didn't know where I was going really, but my feet seemed to have a clue, I just walked where they lead me. Thanks to the goo, I acquired an abundance of dirt, gravel, feathers and flies that seemed to be stuck in the sticky mess. How was I going to find ?1407 Grayskull Lane? and why was that the place for me to go? If there were people around, surely I?d scare them, I was naked, covered in slime, and had apparently tried to claw myself to death. Who wouldn?t want to stop and give me directions? I was so exhausted and weak, I thought I wouldn?t be able to keep going, but every time I thought I was going to have to stop, I got a little charge of energy and kept going. Maybe it was a strong will deep inside of me. Maybe it was something more. I don?t know.

It turned from what I would assume was mid morning to night faster than I would have liked, but I didn?t stop. As I entered what I presumed was the city, I saw the streets had started to empty and was glad for it, but even those stragglers and bums gave me strange looks. I wasn?t sure what I looked like, if I was attractive, maybe I?d have gotten a whistle or two, even though I probably resembled the last living damsel in a horror movie. But apparently, whatever I looked like was nothing but psychotic or horrifying because no one whistled, no one offered to help the damsel. They just stared.

I had to give the man who was closing down a refreshment cart credit, he didn?t run, and he didn?t stare. He just whistled his tune and gave a wave as though he?d seen me a thousand times before.

?Sir. Where is Rhy?din?? I called out to him in my unfamiliar Siren?s voice.
?This is Rhy?din. Are you lost sweetheart? You look lost.?

At least the old man was nice; it didn?t feel like he was hitting on me when he called me sweetheart.

?I think I am. Do you know where I can find 1407 Grayskull Lane??

?Aye.? He looked me over now with a low gasp and pointed. ?The man who lives there, I think he can help you. He helps people like you in this city.?

?People like me??

?The lost. The Hopeless. The ones that don?t fit in, that?s where they go. ?

?But I?m ? ? The old man cut me off then.

?If you?re looking for him, then you are lost and you look hopeless. Just take my directions and go. Believe me, you?re not the most dangerous thing that lurks these streets tonight.?

So I did look scary and dangerous, but not dangerous enough to stop whatever predators lived in this city. Great. After pointing out the directions to me three times, I think I finally understood them enough to get myself to the address. Thanking him, I moved on to my destination. Apparently to find a man who was going to give me hope? I?d believe that when I saw it.

Why did I get the feeling I had ended a bad relationship not long ago? I scratched my gooey head, wishing I could remember more. Things came in blips, I?d remember something and then it felt like something else would fade. One moment a car passed me and then I couldn?t remember what it was used for. Things like that kept happening, it was very strange. After what seemed like another hour or two of walking, finally I stood outside two massive gates and one of the brick pillars held a sign that announced this residence was 1407 Grayskull Lane. So I was here, some how, some way. Had I been here before? I had walked all day not knowing where I was going, but some how, I made it. What now.

I stared at a little box that had a speaker for a few minutes. ?Hello?? I tapped the box again. ? Hello??

BlackOnyx

Date: 2009-04-05 21:10 EST
?1407 Grayskull Lane. What a bust.? Thinking of walking away from the Estate I looked at it reluctantly over my shoulder, not believing that my only hope was not home. The gates had seemed to be locked and no one answered on the speaker, it seems I?d have to try at another time. But what to do when I?m naked and still covered in goo?

?I?ll teach him to not open his gates.? Bending down I snatched up his paper, he had a lot of papers piling up; maybe he was out of town? Anyway, considering my naked state, I wasn?t going to leave this gate until I was dressed and I was not about to get my only clothes covered in goo, so I unraveled his newspaper and started wrapping the sheets around myself, securing the ends with the disgusting sticky messy that covered my skin. At least my bits were covered now. Heading back through town, I kicked at anything that was in my way, stubbing my bare toes on the ground several times. I remembered hearing the bubbling of water in the forest, close to where town ended, perhaps I could use the icy water to clean up a bit, sure, my toes might blacken and fall off, but I?d be clean. I still felt tired, but strangely not very hungry.

My ears seemed to be buzzing, lightly twitching with each gust of wind that brushed them and the sounds around me seemed louder. I had an inkling to stick my finger in my ear and scratch it, but at the last moment realized I didn?t want goo in my ears. Shaking my head back and forth, I grunted and then stopped to listen for the sound of flowing waters, I could hear them clearly, louder than before when I had been in this area. Something was very wrong, or very right, depending on how you looked at it I suppose. Pushing through underbrush that tangled around my feet, I walked into a stunning clearing and saw the water, a beautiful sparkling lake. Sparkling. So sparkling and glittering. Blinking quickly I tried to shake off the strange feeling I had for the water, I desired it, I wanted to be in it, I wanted to hold it, I wanted to possess it.

Shimmer. Shimmer. Shimmer.

Dropping my bag on the ground, I ran for the water, diving right into water that shimmered beneath the moon, trying to catch every sparkling facet that danced on the surface, but once I was beneath the water, it was black and icy. My lungs gasped in protest as I sucked in the water, making me feel as though my chest was going to burst. My arms felt heavy and weighed down but I knew I had to get back to the top. How to get there? Swim. Water, this was water, which meant I had to swim. Right. Closing my mouth to avoid more water intake, I swung my arms upward and kicked, breaking the surface, sputtering and coughing. My body was trembling from the cold and I felt numb as I kicked my way to the edge, most of my newspaper couture had disintegrated or floated away. The water really wasn?t that pretty once I was in it, I now saw it for what it was. Dark, cold, nothingness. My coughing turned into laughing. I must be losing my mind again, had I really saw sparkles before? If so, why was the temptation to see them so strong?

Growling, I used my fingers to pick at and pluck off the remaining newspaper, gathering it into a ball in my hand. Sighing softly, I started to scrub at my skin as best I could with the sopping paper to try and get the goo off. It didn?t work well, but it worked enough that I?d put on my clothes, freezing to death might have also had something to do with my decision. Tossing the paper aside, I rung out my hair and then splashed water over me to clean off the small bits of paper that stuck to me from my scrubbing.

?This is as good as it?s going to get.? Sighing, I stood up and walked to my bag, and started to pull out my clothes, thankful that someone had thought to pack them for me. They were ugly, but they were also dry. Pulling on the underclothes I realized they were perfectly sized, so someone who knew me quiet well packed this bag. It wasn?t much help, but it was almost comforting.

Once I was dressed, I headed back for the city, intending to find somewhere to sleep for the night and then I?d try ?The Estate of Hope? again. I rolled my eyes as I thought about it and lightening struck loudly above me. Strange, I had just been thinking what I clear night it was. Just my luck, apparently it was going to storm too. I would have stopped at any number of the Inns that advertised their vacancies, but whoever had so thoughtfully packed my bag, hadn?t included that very important thing called currency.

?Great.? Gritting my teeth, I kicked the side of a brick building, lightening roaring over head again.

With only one place to go in this town, I headed back in the direction of the seemingly vacant estate to wait; they had to come home at some point, right?

Slouching against the gate, I laid my bag on the ground and balled it up and then eventually ended up slumped over on it. I didn?t sleep well, but at least I slept, passing some time until my ?hope? would arrive.

Dolus Gairu

Date: 2009-08-13 08:49 EST
It took the computer all of two seconds to chirp at me once my molecules had fully rematerialized. Two seconds! I was going to have to really get inside the mainframe with a subspace spanner. Two seconds to boot from standby alert to active alert is just horrible.

Seriously, what's Wolvie been doing with this system? Probably letting another girlfriend download pirated holodeck programs or something, knowing him.

"Perimeter alert. Unknown humanoid detected. Perimeter alert. Unknown humanoid detected. Perimeter aler--"

"Oh for f*ck's sake," I muttered. "Aknowledged! Give me a visual on transporter control beta."

The transporter control console continued to display a readout of my own vital statistics for another half second before it switched to an external view of the grounds.

Of course. A woman. Really, was I expecting something different?

I looked her over for a few moments while I considered my options. I could go take a sonic shower, maybe get the baby-stink of Neo blood off of me. I could also set up a comm beacon just to make sure Wolvie hadn't actually gotten his face blown off (but really, the odds of that were even lower than the odds of me NOT finding a woman waiting on his doorstep). I could also just get some sleep for the next few days.

But no, there was that woman looking all pathetic and frightened and ohmigod-Wolvie-you're-my-only-hopish right outside the gate, and with Wolvie still up in space, I was the next best thing.

Well, maybe not best thing. You get what I'm going for though.

Five minutes later I was out at the gate and doing my best to towel off most of the Neosapien blood from my very tattered drunk-outfit.

"Hey!" I said as I stepped up to the gate control and peered through the bars at the sleeping girl. "Business, pleasure, or revenge? Keep in mind if the answer is revenge, I can and will explode your brain inside your skull with the power of my mind alone."

Hey, she don't know me. For all she knows, I have brain exploding powers. Heck, in this reality, you're a sap if you DON'T have brain exploding powers.

Still, I kept one finger on the gate console as I watched her through the bars. Any funny business, and I was triggering the automatic defenses. I'd clean the mess up later: after a good night's sleep and a very long shower.

BlackOnyx

Date: 2009-08-13 12:32 EST
Even though my sensitive ears heard him approach, I still wasn?t fully out of my sleep by the time he yelled at me.

?Hey!? He said and then rambled off something so quick that I just lay there trying to process.

Rolling over, I stared up at the man, the very strange to say the least, looking man. A bum covered in something, I wasn?t sure I wanted to know what it was, was my savior, my hope? I felt like my heart melted in my chest. If I ever found out and got back to where I was from, I was going to hurt whoever sent me here without a clue and gave me this man as my only key.

Smacking my dry lips together, I tried to wet my mouth enough to speak to him, it felt like I hadn?t eaten in weeks and I was exhausted and filthy despite my attempt to bathe. Pushing up off my pillow of newspapers to sit up, I gave a little wave of my hand to the man.

?I don?t think I am here for any of the above actually and please don?t explode what brain I have left, I feel like I?m only working with a portion of it, as it is.? Rubbing my head with my hand, I tried to wake up more, pulling out of my sleep funk was proving difficult.

?To be honest, I don?t know how I got here or who I am. All I know is, I woke up in a situation that was awful and unclear and I had a bag with clothes and a paper that called me Onyx with this address on it.? I grimaced.

?Oh and something about being reborn?? I looked upwards, hoping that word might have meant something to him. I took the paper which was smudge and smeared and covered in drying goo and stood up, holding the paper to eye level so he could read it.

?Do you think you could help me? ? I didn?t have much faith; this guy looked like he needed just as much help as I did.

?Could I at least have something to eat and then I?ll go? somewhere.? My voice went flat and quiet as I realized I had no where to go and no idea of how to get there, but I could figure something out, right?

?I?d promise you that I?m not dangerous, but I have to be honest, I don?t really know who or what I am. All I can do is tell you that I?ll try to not do anything stupid.? Holding up my hands I spun around.

?I?ve got nothing but me and that dirty bag on the ground, which you?re welcome to look through, but it is empty save for the goo, rebirth goo, I think.? My mouth curled into a snarl, I hated the goo.

?So what do you say? Can you help me??

Dolus Gairu

Date: 2009-08-14 07:12 EST
This woman was suspicious.

I don't like suspicious.

"Rebirth goo, huh? If you don't remember anything, then how do you know it's not just birth goo? Seems to me you're making an awful big assumption with that 'Re' there. Exactly the kind of assumption I'd expect from a demon spy! Admit it! You're a demon!"

See the thing about demons is that if you ask them point blank, they have to tell you the truth. Demons can't lie. They can only obfuscate.

Unless of course they're the kinds of demons that can lie, in which case you had to pay attention in case they started rhyming. A non-lying rhymer is a demon pretty much eight out of every ten times.

This was going to be tricky.

"Fess up, demon! Fesssss!"

BlackOnyx

Date: 2009-08-18 20:49 EST
I?m certain the expression I gave the man is something that can only be described as ?stink eye?. Staring at him I shrugged, unsure of what to say to convince him that I wasn?t a demon and indeed I had been covered in rebirth goo.

?Listen, I don?t know who I am or where I am. Not really. I suppose I could be a Demon, but then I?d be a terrible one if I didn?t know it, wouldn?t I? So I cannot confirm that I am a Demon and I cannot deny that I am a Demon. I can only promise you that I will not make any attempts to harm you or anyone else.?

Crossing my arms, I sighed and blew out a breath wondering how in the world I ended up here and how this guy was supposed to help me. I most definitely am going to hurt whoever sent me here when I figure it out.

?Could I just have a hot shower and something to eat? You can continue with your strange questioning and word dances, I don?t care. Oh, and I really need to go to the bathroom.? Crossing my legs, I bounced a little trying to emphasize that I needed to go.

?Are you going to help me or not? Other wise I?ve got to find a tree with soft bark to get real close to and I?d rather not if I can avoid it. ?