Topic: Trip to the Docks

Miko Barton

Date: 2007-08-05 12:54 EST
She walked out onto the docks. Looking around for the man she met a couple days ago. Sitting against some railing as she tried to spot the giant man known as Aaron. The wind idly blowing her hair about as she smelled the sea on the air. A foreign smell to her as she watched the men going about their business. Some loading or unloading ships, it was a sight to see for her and she watched them with some interest as she continued to look for the man. She knew she was a little early but she was still hoping to find him at least. Brown hues scanning over one person to the next in hopes of spotting him as she watched the people. Her hands gripping the railing she was sitting on. Kicking her feet a little bit like a kid might out of her boredom.

Aaron Shuler

Date: 2007-08-06 14:19 EST
Another hot hard day at the docks, just like every day for Aaron. He hefted another crate up and loaded it onto the lift with a grunt. As much as he loved moving the several hundred pound crates all day it was dull dirty thankless work. The day was drawing to a close, only an hour or so until quitting time for the men on the docks. He straightens his back, arching it backwards to stretch it out again. As he does so he surveys the dock yard around him, all the usual men performing the usual tasks. He couldn?t help but think how much he could improve their performance with a little more motivation. His time as a sergeant had taught him all about getting men to push a little harder and work a little faster. As his thoughts turn towards the Corp he caught sight of a small figure sitting by the railing on the edge of the dock. He hadn?t expected her to come around so soon, but he didn?t mind her being here. It was almost the end of his shift anyway. He waves to her to get her attention and signals her to come down onto the dock.He only had to finish a few more loads, no sense in leavening her up there alone while he did it. He thought she might even benefit seeing a living that wasn?t about training or fighting. He himself had actually come to enjoy the docks, simple rewarding work; maybe she would some day as well.

Miko Barton

Date: 2007-08-06 17:25 EST
She waved when he caught sight of her. Jumping down off the railing she went over to where he was when he signaled her. Walking over to him she looked around a bit then to him. Looking over the tall man again. She could still hardly believe how tall he was. "Looks like hard work." She stated aloud as she watched the people working.

Aaron Shuler

Date: 2007-08-07 01:35 EST
Aaron watches her get up and start to walk towards him. Once he knew she had seen him he set back about his work in earnest. He would have liked to load the last few crates before she got there but it was impossible. As it was he managed to get most of them up before she got there. She was just as young and little as he remembered. It pained him to imagine the life style one so young should have to endure. Perhaps the days little outing would make Miko?s life seem a little bit better, in her eyes or his.
?Hard is a good word I suppose,? he says with a slight chuckle and grin, ?I would describe it as satisfying work myself.? He hefts another crate onto the pallet. ?Personally I love looking out at the end of the day and being able to see exactly what I have done, makes it all more real ya know?? He throws another crate up onto the top of the stack, now above his head. ?I?m almost done here, once I get these last few on we can head out.? With a grunt he heaves the last of the crates up onto the pallet.

Miko Barton

Date: 2007-08-07 19:05 EST
"I suppose it is nice to see what you've done. My Dad seems to like making sure people are safe." It was a little strange how days ago she would've been uncomfortable calling Wolv Dad but now it seemed second nature. She smile as she watched him heft the heavy crates up with her brown eyes. "They look heavy. How can you lift them up so easily?" She seemed a bit amazed at his strength. She may have lived the life she did but that didn't make her strong.

Aaron Shuler

Date: 2007-08-07 20:18 EST
Aaron drops the last of the crates onto the stack with one final heave and grunt. He looks up and down the now eight foot tall stack with a sense of satisfaction. ?You get used to the lifting with time, when I was in the Corp we used to move a lot more then this in ordinance and fortification material and a lot faster. But yeah they?re pretty heavy.? He reaches for his shirt and uses it to wipe his brow free of sweat before putting it on.
As he takes a seat on top of one of the many barrels on the docks he reaches for a large tankard of water and devours its contents quickly. ?As for making people safe it?s a good job to have. But not one for kids.?
He stands and starts to walk towards town and off the dock. With every step he leans just a little on the cane, his leg always more sore after a day?s work. ?Come on now, we?re losing daylight. I want to get there while we can still see.?

Miko Barton

Date: 2007-08-07 20:51 EST
::She nodded and went off beside him. Looking up at him as he walked. Keeping stride next to him as they went away from the dock and towards the alleged park he told her about. "My Dad asked me to be is protige so he's teaching me so I can help him and be his partner. It feels nice to be near and help him when I can. Besides I've done more dangerous things..." Looking down a bit but still keeping pace next to him.

Aaron Shuler

Date: 2007-08-07 21:10 EST
?Dangerous things are all good fun until people you care about start getting killed. Then all the funs gone and it gets really fucking real really fucking fast.? The more they walked the more he leaned on the cane, at times putting most of his weight on it. ?Believe me I know all about fighting for a living; it?s not such a great living.? He looks down at the little girl walking beside him. She seemed far too small and young to even be thinking about the life style she lived, let alone making a career out of it. He couldn?t help but be reminded of the countless young Marines he had known. Even the ones as old as nineteen or twenty had seemed too young. This fifteen year old at once horrified and fascinated him. He found the idea of children in battle to be gut wrenching, his nations enemies had used kids as human shields and to clear mine fields. ?You ever think about going into something besides what your dad does?? Perhaps he could get her to want to do something else. She must have many impressive talents to have done as much as she has. Those could be used for so many other things.

Miko Barton

Date: 2007-08-07 21:19 EST
"Whoever said i thought danger was fun." She mumbled this to herself in hopes of him not hearing then looked to him as the continued to walk. "Well, this man named bishop taught me how to draw. I think it's fun but I'd rather be near my Dad than spend all day inside drawing or something." Looking forward as they were getting close to the park. She couldn't quite make out what was there or who yet though.

Aaron Shuler

Date: 2007-08-07 22:03 EST
?You ever think about drawing more? I mean I know it?s no adrenaline rush but you won?t get shot either. And believe me being shot is not a pleasant experience.? As they walked the park came into sight, a few hundred yards ahead of them. It was a classic non-descript little affair. It was mostly a collection of little trails through the sounding bit of wilderness. The sound of a stream somewhere nearby could be easily heard through the trees the closer they got to the park. In a small clearing right off the main rode a covered dining area was clearly visible. Off of the clearing a half dozen foot paths went off in different directions, all away from town. Aaron kept walking towards the dining area, hoping to sit for awhile before going on the trails; his leg was bothering him more than usual and a good sit might help. ?You want to go for a walk?? He asks pointing at the trials with his free hand.
He didn?t really know why he cared so much if this girl was a fighter or not, even this was only the second time he had seen her. He didn?t know her and certainly didn?t owe her anything. Despite these facts he felt compelled to at least attempt to steer her away from that life style. He knew all too well where it could lead and hated to see such youth go to waste.

Miko Barton

Date: 2007-08-07 22:26 EST
She nodded in agreeance with him about being shot at as she had been shot at before though she'd keep that to herself. She then sat beside him. "Sure, when you're ready that is." Looking over to the many paths for a bit. "This place seems calm and quiet." Looking around at everything that there was around the area.

Aaron Shuler

Date: 2007-08-07 22:52 EST
Never having been one to take even the implication that he couldn?t do something sitting down Aaron got up after only a few seconds of sitting. ?Shall we?? As he asked the rather rhetorical question he offered his hand to help her up. Picking one of the trails at random he started down it and into the scenic country. ?I like that its quite here, makes it easy to relax. Out of the town and away from all the bullshit that goes with it. And it?s not really that calm; it?s just as busy as any other place in its own way. Just look for the subtler hints of life the birds and squirrels and all the other animals, hell eve the bugs.? As they walked he studies her every expression, curious if any of this was affecting her in any way. Every so often he would point out another animal or tree or bug, hoping to peak her interest in something.

Miko Barton

Date: 2007-08-07 22:59 EST
She smiled as he helped her up and as he spoke she nodded and looked around. Watching all the wildlife with a smile. Brown eyes roaming over all the different animals. "I guess you're right. It's just as busy, just in a different way." Smiling as she saw a couple of squirrels skitter up a tree.

Aaron Shuler

Date: 2007-08-08 17:34 EST
Aaron found a surprising amount of satisfaction in her smiles. He thought that perhaps she was actually enjoying something that wasn?t training or practicing. He worked to keep the conversation light and away from her training and way of life. He wanted to know more about it but felt that pressing her for information only made her lock up and tell him nothing. He talked about his own job instead, his life before arriving here. Eventually he did attempt to turn the conversation to something a little more serious, though not to serious. ?So what do you think of our little walk?? He asked as the end of the trail came into sight ahead of them.

Miko Barton

Date: 2007-08-08 20:49 EST
She looked up to him a bit. "It was fun. It's always nice to learn a few new things. That and it's good to be away from the city a bit." She looked towards the end of the trail as they neared it. "Well, I guess this is where we part ways? Or was there something else you wanted to show me?" She looked to him with a raised brow.

Aaron Shuler

Date: 2007-08-08 21:16 EST
Aaron looks down at the girl, not particularly wanting the walk to end. He rather enjoyed the company and the relative isolation from other people. She was after all the first person he had met outside of work relationships since arriving in this new world. ?Well we could always head back into town a grab a bite to eat. Personally I?m starved as it is.? He wanted to find any excuse now to spend more time with someone. He hadn?t realized how much he missed human contact that wasn?t related to his job. ?lets go to the inn.?

Miko Barton

Date: 2007-08-08 21:32 EST
She smiled and nodded to him. "Alright, I'm getting hungry myself." Looking around with brown eyes one last time as they started away from the park. Walking along side the large man the whole way.