Topic: Ultimate Weapon - The Other Path

Dolus Gairu

Date: 2009-01-25 17:09 EST
Note: This is a parallel story to Wolvinator's The Ultimate Weapon.

*Years Ago - SAS Alpha Hangar*

Lieutenant Jimmy ?Jazz? Jazowski had his arms crossed as he stared across the hangar. Beside him, Lieutenant Rodney ?Hot Rod? Smalls was glaring in the same direction.

?Who is he?? Rodney asked.

?Some spacer Corporal,? Jimmy replied. ?Bet he can?t fly a goddamn thing without it having six anti-grav?s slapped all over the thing like a bad case of warts.?

?Spacer Corporal? You mean he?s one of them bull**** assignment officers from Starfleet??

?Yup.?

?That?s such crap! I?m not taking orders from some spacer. That?s not military, that?s little league s***.?

?Know what else?? Jimmy asked. He always liked riling Rodney up. It gave him something to do when he was bored, and since he wasn?t flying today, that meant he needed some other form of entertainment. Rodney was the biggest guy on the base, and definitely the quickest to anger. He?d also been in the brig twice for brawling, and had just barely gotten away with taking a swing at a superior officer once before. Lucky for him, his father was Senator Smalls, otherwise Rodney?d have been drummed out of there months ago.

There were few things more entertaining than watching Rodney Smalls wipe the smug look off of someone?s face with his solid right hook. The trick, Jimmy knew, was just making sure that Rodney kept his anger focused elsewhere.

?What?? Rodney asked, eyes narrowing at the man at the other side of the hangar.

Jimmy pretended to examine his cuticles. In an offhand sort of way, he replied, ?He?s a mutie.?

That made Rodney freeze. Jimmy had to fight to keep from grinning. The last time Rodney had met a mutie, he?d bashed the freak?s face into a pool table and left him even uglier than before. Time before that, Rodney had full out decked a mutie girl who had eyes like a snake and gills on the side of her neck. After Rodney had punched her, she?d actually flopped around on the ground like a fish for a minute or two. They?d laughed about that **** for days.

Rodney had the same look in his eyes now that he?d had on those nights. It was an angry, fearful look that meant something truly entertaining was about to go down. Jimmy was just mad he hadn?t brought his camera. He loved watching spacers get what was coming to them. Ever since his application to Starfleet Academy had been denied, there was nothing he got more pleasure out of than watching a spacer catch the beat down he deserved.

?Oh,? Jimmy added, still in that offhanded tone of voice. ?And they?re giving him your plane.?

?WHAT!?? Rodney whirled on the spot, grabbing Jimmy by the shirt. ?What the **** are you talking about??

?Word came down this morning. You, me, and Sammy, we?re giving up our planes to some special assignment group. He?s one of them, and we got two more coming later today. Muties, all of ?em.?

?I?m not giving up my plane to some goddamned mutie spacer,? Rodney snarled. He shoved Jimmy back a step, releasing his shirt, and then curled his fists. He stared across the hangar at the newly arrived Corporal before looking back at Jimmy. With cold eyes, he stripped off the top of his flight suit, showing off the powerful (and very likely chemically enhanced) muscles of his upper body. He gave one last look to Jimmy before he started stalking across the hangar towards the Corporal.

Jimmy followed after him, losing the fight to keep his grin off of his face. A few of the other guys in the hangar noticed the shirtless Rodney making his way towards the Corporal, and all of them stopped what they were doing to slowly gravitate towards him, eager to catch the spectacle that was sure to follow.

The Corporal himself was a tall man, just about the same height as Rodney. He looked much smaller, however, in comparison to the overly developed physique of Rodney?s. His ill-fitting flight suit made him look even smaller. It was at least a size too large, and it only served to remind Jimmy that this man wasn?t really military. He was a spacer.

?Hey, Mutie!? Rodney barked as he got close to the man. ?Get your hands off my goddamned aircraft!?

The Corporal had both palms on the surface of the plane?s exterior. His eyes were closed and he had been breathing deeply. He opened them slowly and gave Rodney a slow look up and down.

?I thought these were those taxpayer-owned aircraft,? he said. His voice was dull, and it was hard for Jimmy to tell if he was joking or not.

?It?s my aircraft,? Rodney said, stepping closer to the Corporal.

?You do realize I?m not the one who decided to take it, right? That?s what those general guys do. You know them, right? Old guys? Lots of shiny things on their chests??

?You making fun of me, mutie? You think I?m scared of you? You think just cause you got scales on your ass or horns on your head that you?re some kind of bad***??

?Okay, well, A, I don?t have horns on my head. B, the doctor told me those would clear up in a few weeks, and C, it?s Collins, actually. Not mutie.?

Rodney stepped closer to him. His grin was sadistic as he flexed the muscles of his chest. ?I?ll say it again, Collins.? He sneered the name like it tasted bad in his mouth. ?I can beat any mutie in a fight. Any time.?

He stepped closer.

?Any way.?

Closer.

?Any place!?

And with that, he spat directly into Collins? face. To Jimmy?s surprise, Collins didn?t react. Instead, he stood completely motionlessly as the spittle trickled down his cheek. Then his eyes slowly looked Rodney up and down one more time.

?Yeah,? Rodney said, and it was almost a roar of anger now. ?You?re scared now, aren?t ya? Ya little mutie!? His fists were clenched tightly, each held out at his sides in a threatening stance, arms curled. He took a step back, bouncing on the balls of his feet as if he were prepared for a punch to come at any moment.

That moment passed.

Then Collins looked Rodney in the eyes. ?Scared?? He casually flicked the spittle from his cheek with one finger. ?I think you?re confusing me being scared with me holding my breath. Cause let me tell you, your breath? It?s even worse than that body odor you?ve got going on.?

Rodney?s pupils dilated and Jimmy could see the muscles of his jaw working. ?Why you son of a--!?

Rodney?s hand reared back and he swung a heavy right towards Collins? face. It was a full haymaker of a swing, and it would shatter Collin?s jaw if it hit.

It didn?t hit.

Instead, it swung through the air as Collins flowed to one side. His right hand reached up almost casually to grab at Rodney?s wrist, and with an absurdly gentle tug, he used Rodney?s momentum to pull him off-balance and towards him. Just as Rodney?s eyes were going wide at the realization that he was about to fall forward, his momentum was stopped by Collins? knee cracking into his chest, just below his sternum. Air exploded from his lungs in an explosive exhalation, and his eyes bugged out as the muscles in his neck contracted.

One hand still around Rodney?s wrist, Collins grabbed his upper arm and then jerked back on the wrist, causing Rodney?s arm to snap back at the elbow. Rodney screamed then, but it was a pathetic, strangled scream, lacking almost any air in his lungs to power it. He was frozen in pain, bug-eyed and red-faced when Collins spun around him and smacked the back of his fist into the back of Rodney?s head. Rodney?s face was propelled forward and directly onto the asphalt floor of the hangar. A sickening crunch made Jimmy wince as Rodney?s nose was clearly broken. He lay there, whimpering in pain, a slow pool of blood forming around his face.

Collins bent over slightly to look down at Rodney?s face. With a slight sigh, he straightened up and looked to each of the men in turn. His eyes finally settled on Jimmy.

?Now,? he said. ?Are we going to go back to being on the same team? Or does someone else wanna be a...? He seemed to search for the right word, then rolled his eyes and said, ?Mutie-hater??

Jimmy swallowed nervously. No one else was saying a word. He followed suit, kept his eyes lowered, and backed slowly away with everyone else. But as soon as he was far enough away, he glanced back.

?Goddamn mutie,? he whispered, and he was not the only one.

*Years Ago - SAS Alpha Briefing Room*

Collins had been hoping to have a minute to talk to Corporal Glenn Ahdee?Khee. It was an old habit of his to go over his concerns about a mission with Glenn before they got underway. Of everyone in the world, Ahdee?Khee best understood the way his mind could work and the concerns he might have. It would be nice to have someone on the mission he could count on, especially when the mission also meant flying with Wesley Bernard. Collins couldn?t remember an assignment he?d ever taken with Bernard that hadn?t ended with him wanting to bash his own skull in.

His attempt at catching up with Glenn before they left was thwarted when General Rickwind stopped him as he was leaving the briefing room.

?Corporal Collins,? he said, just as Collins was about the get out the door. Collins tried not to visibly sigh before he turned around.

?Just Collins is fine, sir.?

?You put one of my best pilots in the hospital, Corporal,? the General said. It was hard for Collins to judge his stoic expression. Was he upset? Angry? Looking for retribution?

Well too bad. He hadn?t done anything wrong. He?d just been minding his own business, checking out his new aircraft?s energy signatures for anything that might hint at a technical malfunction. Every good pilot checked out his craft before he got into the cockpit. It wasn?t his fault that some ?roided up Senator?s son had decided to pick a fight.

?Do you want me to apologize, sir??

He hated that. The ?sir.? He hated it in Starfleet, but he hated it even more here. He was never a sir guy. He was never a military guy. He was never a take-orders-and-don?t-think guy. He did it because he had to. Sometimes you had to play the game. If you didn?t say sir, you didn?t get to work on next-gen FTL technology. And how could he live with himself if he didn?t take the chance to help mankind see the stars?

Of course, these days Starfleet was more interested in keeping the military happy than with pure exploration, and that meant that their ?atypical? officers tended to find themselves loaned out to Earth?s military. Anything to make sure they were ready if the Neos ever came back.

So instead of the stars, he got S.E.F.F. Instead of FTL drives, he got jet engines. And instead of aliens, he got big dumb bigots masquerading as fighter pilots.

?To him?? Rickwind said. ?That?s up to you. The hangar crew says you took a swing at him first, but that?s BS and everyone knows it. If it were up to me, he wouldn?t even be here. It?s not up to me. But do I want you to apologize? Yeah. To me.?

?To you?? Collins replied. It took him half a second to remember to add, ?Sir??

?To me. Bastard that he is, that idiot can fly. And he can fly well. S.E.F.F.?s not a joke. Even a Senator?s son can?t get in here if he can?t bring something to the table. You cost me one of my best assets, even if he?s a pain-in-the-asset.?

Collins tried not to groan at the ?joke.?

?Is that an order, sir??

Rickwind sighed and turned away from him. ?No. No, it?s not an order, Corporal.?

?Then is there anything else you need, General??

Rickwind said nothing for a moment. Then he walked over to a small filing cabinet in the corner of the room. He pulled out a folder and held it up. ?You know what this is??

?A folder??

Rickwind smirked. ?It?s your file. All your info?s in here. Birthday. Height. Weight. Blood type. Mother?s name. Father?s name. Sister?s name. Know what?s not in here??

Collins knew.

?No, sir,? he lied.

?Your first name. It?s not blacked out. It?s just not in here. How do you think that could have possibly happened, Corporal??

?I have no idea, sir.?

Rickwind took a slow breath, then put the folder back in the cabinet. ?I?m not a big fan of the Starfleet exchange, Corporal. Starfleet?s too loose for my tastes. They let anyone in. They?re more concerned with pipe dreams about utopian societies than the hard facts of military service. They might put up with your crap in Starfleet, but I won?t. Understood??

?Yes, sir,? Collins said, and tried to keep from gritting his teeth. Funny thing was, he?d heard this speech before.

?Good. Then tell me, soldier. What?s your first name??

Collins looked Rickwind straight in the eye. ?Officially? I don?t have one, sir.?

Rickwind narrowed his eyes. In a cold tone of voice, he said, ?Unofficially.?

?Unofficially? None of your business, sir.?

Rickwind stared at him for a long moment.

?Get the hell out of here, Corporal. And make sure you start impressing me, because if you don?t, I?m going to make sure you never get as far off of Earth as a 747, let alone a starship. Understood??

Collins snapped off a crisp, and just slightly mocking, salute. ?Sir. Yes, sir.?

Then he turned on his heels and walked swiftly out of the room.

*Years Ago - SAS Alpha Runway*

Ten minutes later, Collins was heading towards his aircraft when he was met by Ahdee?Khee. They were both dressed in olive green flight suits, and they both had their sleek black helmets in one hand.

?Hey,? Ahdee?Khee said as they got closer. They began to head towards their aircraft, walking side by side.

?Hey,? Collins said. ?So what do you think??

?About what? The mission, or Bernard??

Collins snorted. He should?ve known. The only two people who got along worse than him and Bernard was Ahdee?Khee and Bernard.

?Still can?t stand the guy either, huh??

Ahdee?Khee just nodded at that. He seemed to be lost in thought for a moment. Collins was about to ask his opinion of the mission again when he spoke up first.

?Y?know,? Ahdee?Khee said. ?It was really uncalled for.?

For a second, Collins thought he meant his fight in the hangar, but he knew Glenn too well for that. He was talking about Bernard.

?What he said to the General??

?Yeah, I mean honestly. What a load of crap. He?s basically questioning everything Rickwind was tellin? the guy.?

?Yeah, he was outta line,? Collins replied. Truth was, he didn?t have anything against Rickwind. Guy was a soldier. He did what soldiers did. Collins wasn?t exactly against questioning authority, but Bernard was always such a d*ck about it. ?I?ll definitely say that. But Wes has always been like that. I mean he?s basically just an all around ***hole.?

Glenn nodded. ?To be honest, the way he?s actin?, I wouldn?t be surprised if they gave his *** a dishonorable. He?s really pushing buttons. He questions authority a lot, always startin? fights, getting into trouble while he?s on liberty. He?s been thrown in the brig more than once. I don?t even know why they chose him for this assignment.?

Collins sighed and looked Glenn in the eyes. It wasn?t the best time to explain to him the trouble he was in for his own fight in the hangar, but he wasn?t about to compare himself to Wesley Bernard. Glenn was right. Wesley got himself into crap every other day. Not only wasn?t he fit for military service, Collins wasn?t sure he was fit for human service. The guy was just a creep.

But that wasn?t his real concern. Not now. In a few minutes they?d be on their way to Yokosuka. Off to some lab that wanted to talk to them about their ?special? abilities. He knew what that meant. That was code for genetic manipulation. He didn?t hold any illusions about this coming mission. This was about being a mutant, nothing more. It didn?t matter if he could help design a better FTL or beat the Kolrami stratagems in a mock battle. All they cared about was his genetics.

If he needed any proof of that, all he had to do was look at Bernard. A terrible officer, a terrible human being, and not exactly a great pilot. What had Rickwind said? To get into S.E.F.F. you had to bring something to the table. What did Bernard bring, if not his mutant abilities?

?To be honest, Glenn, I?m not really comfortable with this assignment. Him being on it; sorta raises my anxiety about it.?

?Really?? Glenn asked. ?Why??

?You know I?ve always been wary about this whole... Military thing. I only really did it because Starfleet pushed this on us.?

?Well,? Glenn said. ?You know they wouldn?t deliberately put us in harm?s way.?

Collins snorted. ?Oh, they wouldn?t? So we?re just in a combative organization for the hell of it??

?You know what I mean,? Glenn responded. ?They wouldn?t make us sitting ducks on purpose. You heard the General yourself: if you don?t agree with the procedure then you don?t have to go through with anything. It?s completely voluntary.?

?Yeah. Uh-huh. Voluntary.?

Glenn smirked. ?Give it a chance. That?s why we?re going. I?m a little excited about it myself. I?m really curious to see what this whole thing?s about.?

Collins raised an eyebrow at him. After a long moment he replied, ?I?m not.?

But look at that. He was going anyway. Funny how that always seemed to happen to him.

Glenn smiled, shaking his head ruefully. ?I?ll see you up there, all right??

Collins just nodded. Yeah. Up there.

Just not up there enough.

Dolus Gairu

Date: 2009-01-26 17:15 EST
*Years ago - Yokosuka Station*

?This augmentation will make you...the Ultimate Weapon.?

Bernard had a grin on his face like he?d just won the Super Bowl. ?Well I?m in,? he said. ?Just show me where I?ve gotta sign.?

?Eh, I dunno about that one,? Collins replied. This whole thing was sounding more and more wrong. They wanted to make his bones unbreakable? Why? So he could kill for them? So he could soldier for them? This wasn?t what he was here for. This wasn?t what he wanted to be a part of.

As usual, Ahdee?Khee was the one who remembered their original mission. Without making any commitment to the project he asked Jiganov, ?Is there any technical data that you might be able to provide us, Ms. Jiganov, so I can bring it back to my superiors??

Natashenka Jiganov continued to smile her perfect and oh-so-suggestive little smile at them. ?I believe your superiors already have the technical information they need.?

Collins and Ahdee?khee shared a curious look. Already had the information, did they? Then why exactly were they there?

Before either of them could ask, Bernard forced his way back into the conversation. ?That?s great. When can we begin??

?Immediately, if you?d like.? Jiganov?s smile never wavered. It was starting to creep him out a little bit. Then again, whenever that smile was directed at him, he found himself unable to keep from offering a little half-grin in return. She was beautiful, that was certain.

?Sure thing,? Bernard replied. He was almost feral in his grin. ?Count me in.?

?Hold on there, Wes,? Glenn interjected. Collins suppressed a grin. If there was one thing Wesley Bernard hated, it was being called Wes. ?We need to deliver that information back to our commanders.?

Bernard snorted. ?You heard the lady, Ahdee?khee. They got everything they need back at command. I?m in.?

?I?m not,? Collins said, simple as that. ?My bones are just fine the way they are.?

Bernard shot Collins a disgusted look. ?So? I don?t care about you. If you don?t wanna do it, fine. Like I said: I?m in.?

Ahdee?khee stood up a little straighter. ?We were given specific directives in our mission briefing, Corporal Bernard, and we are going to adhere to them.?

This wasn?t Glenn speaking. This was Corporal Glenn Ahdee?Khee of S.E.F.F. speaking. Even Wesley Bernard would think twice before questioning him when he talked like that.

Didn?t mean he wouldn?t question him. Just meant he?d have to think twice before doing it.

Before he could, however, Jiganov raised a hand, chuckling as if she were watching schoolboys in a brawl. ?Unfortunately, gentlemen, we would need all three of you for the Adamantium bonding process.?

?Why is that?? Ahdee?khee asked.

?The process we have set up requires three subjects for the Adamantium feed. The metal needs to be infused at one time, and once it?s in a liquid form we cannot reverse the process, nor separate it. If we were to attempt a bonding with only one, or only two individuals, we would risk the chance of overloading the body with more Adamantium than it may be able to handle. This may have adverse effects on the body?s organs and vital functions.?

?But you said it was safe,? Ahdee?khee began, but he was cut off by Bernard.

?So then only liquefy enough Adamantium for one person.?

?The Adamantium is already in a liquid state,? Jiganov said. ?As we were expecting three individuals. If you do not accept, then I will have to locate other volunteers.?

Collins had been remaining silent throughout most of this. As far as he was concerned, the decision was already made. He wasn?t doing it, and no amount of begging from this woman, even with her soft blue eyes seeming to smile at him whenever she looked his way, was going to change his mind.

But what did ?other volunteers? mean? How many more people with advanced healing factors were there? How many other candidates did they have? Was this the first step in what might someday be an army of soldiers with unbreakable bones?

He wasn?t sure how he felt about that. If the Neos ever came back, having soldiers who couldn?t break their bones might be a good thing. But what if the Neos got their hands on this technology? With their ability to mass produce soldiers, it might mean the end of the human race.

None of that changed his mind. He was out.

?Well, I accept,? Bernard said, glaring at Ahdee?khee and Collins both as if he could intimidate them into agreeing with him.

?Well, I don?t,? Collins said sharply.

?And unfortunately, neither do I,? Ahdee?khee said. ?At least not at the moment. I?d like some time to report to my superiors and weigh my options.?

?Very well then, Corporal. But I?d suggest you make up your mind quickly, as we do have other subjects in mind.? That beautiful smile flashed to each of them in turn, and when Jiganov spoke, it was with utter understanding and compassion. ?I?ll be on Yokosuka station for the next twenty-four hours.? Finally, her eyes settled directly on Ahdee?khee. ?If you change your mind, I?ll be waiting to hear from you.?

Bernard muttered a short growl and stormed out of the room. Collins rolled his eyes and followed after him, with Ahdee?khee following shortly behind him.

Ultimate weapon. He felt like that meant something. They weren?t trying to make the Ultimate soldier or the Ultimate guardian. They were trying to make the Ultimate weapon. He was enough of a student of history to know that he could never live with the guilt of an Alfred Nobel or a Robert Oppenheimer. He didn?t want to be responsible for anything that might be considered an ultimate weapon, as both of those men?s accomplishments had once been considered.

Self-defense was one thing. He had learned from Professor Xavier that there was nothing wrong with self-defense. He was skilled in hand to hand combat, he always made sure to carry a phaser on him (to hell with S.E.F.F. sidearm regulations, they could just try and take it from him) and he was violent when he had to be. But that was different from being a weapon. Much different.

Collins was still lost in thought when he rounded the corner and started heading down the hallway that would lead to the runway. He hadn?t noticed that Ahdee?khee wasn?t behind him; not until Bernard suddenly turned towards him, causing him to skid to a halt.

?What the hell is your problem, Collins??

?Do I have to choose just one?? Collins said, the flippant remark tumbling out of him before he could stop it. It might not be such a good idea to piss Wesley Bernard off even more. He was already in trouble for getting into one fight today. He didn?t want to make it two, and he especially didn?t want that second fight to be with Bernard. That fight was not one he was guaranteed to win.

?You?re a f***ing joke. That?s all you are. Weren?t you listening, man? We?d be invincible. They?re offering to make us invincible!?

?They?re offering to make us into weapons.?

?And you?re acting like they?re tryin? to spit in your face! Jesus, it?s bad enough I got Ahdee?khee slobberin? all over any woman I call dibs on, but then I gotta deal with you and your cowardly spacer s***.?

Collins fought the urge to laugh in his face. ?You called ?dibs? on her? How old are you??

Bernard snarled and shoved his palm against Collins? shoulder. It was fast; faster than Collins could react, and he was pushed violently against the wall from the hit. Pointing a finger in Collins? face, Bernard leaned in close to him. ?Don?t mess this up for me with your pacifist spacer crap, Corporal.?

The sound of footsteps coming down the hall made Bernard snarl again and shove Collins? shoulder one last time as he stepped back. Ahdee?khee made his way around the corner just in time for Bernard to give him the same angry glare he?d just given Collins before he started walking swiftly down the runway.

Collins shook his head slightly. Bernard was getting more out of control, and eventually either he or Ahdee?Khee were going to have to deal with him. He was about to bring that up to Ahdee?khee, but the look on his face made Collins pause.

?You all right?? he asked.

Ahdee?khee said nothing for a while. He looked slowly around the runway, eyes roaming the clear sky.

?Yeah,? he said finally. ?Everything?s... all right now. Let?s-- let?s just get in the air.?

?Lead the way.?

*Years ago - 30,000 Feet Above Sea Level*

The flight back was almost completely silent. What little banter the three of them had managed to keep up on the way there was gone now, mostly because of Bernard?s sulking attitude. Collins had managed to make his concerns known to both Bernard and Ahdee?khee, but the both of them seemed almost more focused on their rivalry than on the situation at hand.

Of course, that?s how it usually was. He was the worrier. Ahdee?khee was the the doer. And Bernard, well he wasn?t much of anything.

Collins sighed and glanced at his radar screen, checking for any signs of trouble. He was never able to just fly. Not in a fighter, anyway. When he was in the cockpit, it meant he was constantly checking his instruments. His instructors used to say he thought too much. That he nitpicked every little detail. They were right, but that didn?t mean he was going to stop. He might miss something.

Blip.

Something like that: an unidentified target on the radar. An unidentified target that didn?t respond with proper IFF transponder signals. An unidentified target that was moving in tandem with them.

Collins did a quick visual glance of the skies around them, noting the positions of his wingmen. It was a stupid response, because the blip on the radar was too far out for a visual confirmation. He cleared his throat and thumbed his comms.

?Venom five-zero-five to Venom five-zero-four,? he said, using Ahdee?khee?s callsign for the mission. It never occurred to him to alert Bernard directly. Let him hear it over the channel. ?Over.?

?Venom five-zero-four, roger, over.?

?Yeah, zero-four, I have long range radar picking up an unidentified aircraft bearing one-eight-niner and closing at seven-hundred knots.?

Ahdee?khee?s voice came back swiftly. ?Hmmm. Unidentified? So you?re not able to raise them on IFF??

?Negative.?

?Hmm, all right,? Ahdee?khee replied. There was a brief squawk as he switched channels and began hailing SEFFPAC to alert them of the situation. As he did, Collins and Bernard both pulled into a defensive formation. Whatever problems they?d been having, this wasn?t something to be dealt with cavalierly. A brief conversation with SEFFPAC revealed no known craft the area, as well as the permission to investigate the unidentified signal.

The three fighters banked as one, and in moments they were on an intercept course that would take them directly alongside the target. Collins kept a steady grip on the stick as he watched the blip slowly approach them. It was moving in a steady line directly along the path they had previously been flying. That, he knew, could not be a coincidence. It continued along that line until...

Bernard?s voice came over the radio. He sounded deadly calm. ?Target is changing course and increasing speed.?

And it was. It moved with the kind of abrupt speed that could not be matched by conventional aircraft. Collins pressed his lips tightly together and inhaled sharply through his nose, then quickly glanced over all of his instrumentation. Whatever this thing was, it was not going to be a fighter. He looked up. They should be in visual range any second now.

Suddenly Ahdee?khee?s voice broke in over the radio. ?Wing! Evasive action! Break formation! Tango is on collision course!?

Collins immediately slammed his flightstick to one side, slicing through the air in a barrel roll as something sleek and silver shot past them with more speed than a bullet. He grit his teeth as the collision alarm sounded, but there was no telltale reverberation to suggest he?d actually been hit. Looking around frantically, he could see a bright flash of light, followed by a short-lived fireball above him to starboard. Once it had dissipated, he could see one of what remained of the aircraft it had once been.

?Mayday!? Bernard?s voice screamed over the radio. ?Mayday! This is Venom five-zero-three! I?ve been hit! I repeat, this is Venom five-zero-three, I?ve been hit!?

Collins muttered a curse to himself and swiveled his head around. Whatever the thing was that had sheared a wing off of Bernard?s fighter, he couldn?t make a visual confirmation.

?C?mon,? he said in a quiet voice. ?Where are you??

?Ejecting! Ejecting!?

A puff of white seemed to explode out of Bernard?s cockpit as the canopy was blasted away. An instant later his ejection seat rocketed up into the sky, propelling itself and its occupant away from the doomed fighter.

?Goddammit, where the hell are you?? Collins said again. There was still no sign of the thing. He checked his radar again and smoothly adjusted his heading to try and catch it. As he did, Ahdee?khee?s fighter moved into position on his wing. They were both tracking the bastard, and as soon as they got permission...

?Venom five-zero-four this is SEFFPAC, your wing is authorized for batteries release.?

?Roger SEFFPAC,? Ahdee?khee said. His voice was calm, but there was iron in it. ?Moving to engage.?

?You bet your ass we are,? Collins muttered to himself. Then, thumbing his radio he added, ?I?ve got the tango on guns.?

It looked like nothing more than a silver streak in the sky, but he could see it, and that should mean he could hit it. He flipped up the gun?s safety and then gently placed his index finger over the trigger. It took him half a second to line up his shot and let his Vulcan cannon spew the kind of gunfire that could chew threw steel.

?I can?t tell if I?m hitting him!? he admitted angrily a few seconds later. ?It?s just so friggin? small!?

He continued to fire in short, controlled bursts, doing his best to keep up with the impossible weaving motions of the target. It might be avoiding the gunfire, but it was also slowing down. Collins blinked as the silver streak came into view.

?Glenn,? he whispered into the comm. ?You see that??

?It?s a...person??

?Or something,? Collins breathed. It looked like a man. A man made of pure silver. Was it some kind of personal anti-grav and propulsion suit? Was it a robot? An alien? A mutant?

?Whatever the hell it is,? Ahdee?khee said, breaking Collins out of his distracted thoughts. ?It?s friggin? dangerous. Are you able to see if you?re making any contact at all on guns??

?I can?t tell. If I am, it?s not affecting him.?

Not physically at least. Collins squinted as he tried to get a clear look at the hostile. The damn thing looked like it was turning its head to look back at its pursuers. Collins got the feeling that it was trying to decide whether or not to engage.

Ahdee?khee?s voice came over the radio once more. He spoke in a low tone, almost as if he were distracted. Collins knew that tone. It meant that this thing, this whatever-it-was, it had Glenn?s full attention. Bad news for the hostile. Good news for them.

?I?m going to take a shot with missiles,? he said. He was talking to himself more than he was announcing it to Collins. ?It?s gotta have...Yeah. It?s got a heat signature.?

So damn calm. It was like he was talking about the weather. Collins fought the urge to give a triumphant little grin. Time to teach this thing just who it was messing with.

Collins ignited his afterburners without a word. His aircraft blasted forward, making him grunt with the increased g-forces as he was pushed back into his seat. In the blink of an eye he was ahead of the hostile and banking hard to port.

Come on, he thought. I?m wide open. Hit me.

It took the bait, and it took it fast. Collins had to roll into an evasive maneuver faster than he expected as the silver man careened towards him on a direct intercept course.

Damn thing was fast.

Not as fast as a sidewinder though. With the hostile coming straight down his tailpipe, Glenn was in position for a picture perfect missile lock.

?Venom five-zero-four,? Ahdee?khee called over the radio. It was music to Collins? ears. ?Fox one!?

He didn?t see the missile. As soon as Ahdee?khee announced the launch, Collins slammed into a hard roll, maneuvering away from the hostile much more effectively than with his previous feint. For those few seconds, Collins thought about nothing else except getting clear from the hostile, ASAP.

Then he felt the explosion. It rumbled through the cockpit, and for a split-second he thought he was the one who was going to be hit. But as he turned his head frantically from side to side, he caught a visual of the tail-end of a sidewinder missile explosion. There was nothing on radar.

?Splashed one bogey,? Ahdee?khee said. ?Target destroyed.?

*Years ago - Nevada Desert*

He was glad to be out of the fighter once they had landed on the deserted highway. It wasn?t that he didn?t like flying. He loved flying. It was just that these old fighter jets couldn?t perform the way he wanted them for perform. Fact of the matter was, not even Starfleet seemed to have the kind of craft he wanted, but at least their stuff could pull double-digit g-maneuvers without turning the pilot to paste.

Definitely had to see about smuggling a Starfleet inertial dampener system, see if he could hook it up to one of these S.E.F.F. fighters. Maybe if he had some time he could work on modifying the intake valves on the thing too. And if he amped up the dampener?s subspace bubble he could probably over compensate the field, giving him insane maneuverability. Better than a starship. Better than a jet fighter. Better even then those bulky starfighters that were left over from the Neosapien war.

No, what he had in mind was something altogether different. It could work, assuming it didn?t liquefy the entire craft upon takeoff.

?You seem distracted,? Ahdee?khee said to him as the two made their way across the desert, straight towards Bernard?s landing site. ?Getting shook up by one little bogey now??

?Nah,? Collins said, a half-grin coming to his face. ?Just wondering how much longer I had to dangle him in front of your face before you were going to decide to shoot him.?

Ahdee?khee chuckled. ?Well, I figured you must be lonely, seein? as how you seemed so interested in dancing with the thing.?

?Hey, that?s not dancing, that right there was a lesson in how to fly in an evasive combat situation, my friend.?

?Bah,? Ahdee?khee said good-naturedly. ?I?d have shot you down in two seconds if you pulled that hot-dog s*** with me.?

?You could try, but as soon as you took the shot: Wham! I?d be somewhere else.?

?Except I?d have already taken the shot before you thought I was taking the shot,? Ahdee?khee said sagely. ?And who would be laughing then??

?Me,? Collins announced, gesturing to his chest with his thumb. ?Because you would be falling out of the sky.?

Ahdee?khee shook his head ruefully and then gave Collins a sideways look. ?One of these days, I?m gonna beat you.?

?Yeah?? Collins said, grin widening. ?Well someday I?m gonna beat you.?

They both chuckled while squinting out into the haze of the desert, searching for a sign of Bernard. Neither had said anything about it, but they had both silently agreed that they wouldn?t talk about the possibility of Bernard being seriously hurt.

?You know,? Collins said after a minute. ?We still hold the Academy record for most draws in combat simulations.?

?Next time we?re in San Fran we?re heading over there,? Ahdee?khee said offhandedly. ?I?ll mop the floor with you and take my top ranking.?

?You mean my top ranking?? Collins asked, tone friendly but teasing. ?It?s nice to have dreams and all, but don?t you think you should try for something a little more likely??

?What?s it like on your planet?? Ahdee?khee asked. ?Do they have unicorns and leprechauns there??

Collins laughed and was about to make his comeback when he spotted movement ahead of them. He paused and squinted. ?You see that??

?Yeah,? Ahdee?khee said. He waved both arms back and forth over his head, and the figure in the distance responded in kind. ?It?s him.?

?I?m not sure if I should be relieved or not.?

?You and me both.?

Bernard was looking better than Collins could have expected. He seemed hardly injured at all, although his flightsuit was torn in a few places. Even more surprising, however, was the look on his face. Collins had expected anger or disappointment. Instead, Bernard looked to be taking the whole situation in stride. Hell, the guy looked almost pleased. It was...suspicious.

?You all right?? Collins asked once they were close enough, voice pitching upwards slightly to indicate his skepticism.

?A little banged up,? Bernard replied. ?But I?ll be all right. Didja get ?em??

?Yeah, I got ?em,? Ahdee?khee said. ?We?ve got a helo in bound to pick you up, but we wanted to give you a hand.?

Bernard snorted. ?Yeah, more like you were ordered to.?

The three of them turned back the way Ahdee?khee and Collins had come and started to make their way back to the planes. Any hope that Bernard would make the trip with them in silence was shattered in less than a minute.

?So,? he said, a hard edge coming to his voice. ?Ya let them get me, huh??

?We didn?t let him get you,? Collins said. ?That could have been any one of us.?

?Yeah, well Ahdee?khee had to show me up by taking him out.?

?I wasn?t showing you up,? Ahdee?khee said through gritted teeth. ?I downed him, and that?s all that matters.?

Bernard looked like he wanted to argue, but instead gave a little grumble of agreement. After a few more moments he finally said, ?What the hell was that thing, anyway??

?Well it looked...?

A silver streak careened overhead and plowed into the ground just a few meters ahead of them. Sand kicked up all around whatever had hit the ground, and for a moment it was impossible to make out what it was. Then, as the sand settled, it became clear.

Standing in the center of a shallow crater was a large silver figure. It was humanoid, but it was impossible to tell if it was someone in a suit of armor, or if the thing was just made of metal. It had a face, but the eyes appeared to be entirely electronic in origin. That wasn?t Collins? immediate concern. The most important thing, the thing that screamed in his head, was that the silver skin of the seven-or-eight-foot-tall monstrosity was accented by sharp edges. This thing was built for combat.

?...Just like that,? Ahdee?khee finished.

The silver thing cocked its head slightly and looked at Ahdee?khee. As it did, glowing yellow light seemed to ooze from its hands like plasma. The energy crackled and sparked as the silver thing stared motionlessly at them.

?What do you want from us?? Ahdee?khee asked, making no sudden movements.

The thing said nothing. It simply stared back at them, the glowing yellow energy continuing to emanate from its hands. Five seconds went by. Ten. Collins felt his patience wearing thin.

?Look,? he finally said, breaking the uneasy silence. ?We?re not taking you to our leader. So either spit it out right now, or you let us go on our merry way.?

The head twitched ever-so-slightly. Collins felt a momentary surge of triumph at getting a response out of the thing, but that moment was short-lived. The robot leaped at him, moving with a speed that belied its towering presence. Collins dove to his left in an attempt to get away from the thing, but he was struck hard in the shoulder and went sprawling across the sand.

?Ah crap,? he muttered to himself as he spat out sand and rolled his shoulder. It popped loudly and he had to grit his teeth as he felt his tendons slowly pulling themselves back together. The sharp crack of semi-automatic gunfire caught his attention and he looked up to see Bernard and Ahdee?khee firing their standard S.E.F.F. issue .45 caliber sidearms at the robot.

Slightly dazed, Collins could do little more than follow suit. It was hard to think. He?d deflected some of the blow, but it had still hit him hard enough to jostle his brain around a little. If it weren?t for Bernard and Ahdee?khee?s responses, he might have simply remained there, sprawled out on the sand until he could think properly again.

Instead, he rose to his knees, and drew out his pistol as well, mirroring the actions of his wingmen. He ignored the feeling of warm blood soaking against his flightsuit, flipped the safety off, and began squeezing off carefully aimed rounds directly at the robot?s chest.

The bullets appeared to be having no damaging effect on the robot, but it was at least keeping it at bay as it held its arms up and deflected the shots. Lacking his right arm to steady his aim, Collins? shots were the least effective, but he forced himself to take careful aim. He had to make sure these shots counted.

Ahdee?khee was the first to empty. Every one of his shots had struck the target squarely in the chest, but it didn?t seem to matter. He expertly retrieved a fresh magazine while ejecting the first, then slammed it into his gun and primed the weapon. Taking careful aim, he called out to the others, ?The jets! Get to the jets! I?ll keep ?im busy!?

Bernard stopped firing and whirled on the spot, sprinting towards the highway. Collins, watched him go while he, Collins, took several slow steps backwards, still squeezing off one careful shot every second or so, left arm held straight out. His right arm hung limply at his side.

?Glenn!? Collins shouted as he squeezed off another round. ?I?m not gonna leave you alone with this thing!?

Ahdee?khee was already out again, but as before, he had reloaded in the blink of an eye. Collins only had a few more shots left himself, and he would not be able to reload until he could move his arm properly. He grit his teeth angrily, trying to will his healing factor to work faster. Work harder.

It had never been reliable. Sometimes he healed barely faster than the average man. Sometimes he could heal a gunshot wound in less than a minute. Sometimes he lingered in pain for days, sometimes it was over in seconds. If there was any time he needed it to be seconds, today was that day.

His arm hung limply at his side.

?You?re not!? Ahdee?khee barked as he began to unload more bullets into the robot. ?Take this thing out with a sidewinder the second you have a shot!?

Collins already knew that. The second his best friend had yelled about running to the fighters, he?d known what he?d had planned. That was what had made them such effective wingmen in the Academy simulation tournaments. They didn?t have to tell each other the plan, they just always seemed to know what the other was setting up. It was the reason why there was no number one ranked combat pilot at Starfleet Academy, only two number two ranked pilots. The same talent that made them perfect combat partners made them each the other?s most formidable rival.

The problem wasn?t whether or not Collins understood Ahdee?khee?s plan. The problem was whether or not Ahdee?khee could survive long enough to enact it.

If things had gone differently, if Collins? arm could heal faster, then it would be him who would stay. The robot thing had some kind of energy powering it, and Collins might be able to siphon off some of it in order to fight the thing. With his arm half dead, that was not going to be a good idea. The last time he?d tried to absorb energy while seriously injured, he?d nearly given himself a stroke.

No. It had to be Ahdee?khee. It could have been Bernard, but he was already gone.

Collins fired his last few shots into the robot?s chest. With one final look at Ahdee?khee, he reluctantly made his retreat.

He just hoped he was fast enough.

Dolus Gairu

Date: 2009-01-28 19:42 EST
*Years ago - Nevada Desert*

?Shoot it! Take the shot!?

It was hard to think. It was hard to concentrate. His brain felt like mush in his skull, and his shoulder was pure fire. Despite that, his hand was steady on the flightstick, and his eyes did not lose sight of the target. The heads-up-display showed he had a clear shot, locked on and ready to go. He would not; could not miss.

But he couldn?t take it. The explosive yield of a sidewinder missile would shred Ahdee?khee?s body to ribbons at this distance. He wasn?t going to sacrifice Glenn?s life just to take this thing down.

?I can?t,? he shouted. Neither he nor Bernard were hooked into their aircraft?s comm systems, so he had to yell over the roar over the idling engines. ?Ahdee?khee?s in the way!?

?Do it!? Bernard screeched. The desperate, almost manic quality to it made Collins freeze. ?Do it now!?

?Shut up, Wesley,? Collins muttered to himself. He wanted to squeeze his eyes shut and give himself a second to gather his thoughts. His ears were still ringing from the hit he took, and his thoughts felt sluggish. Whatever the energy was that was pouring out of the robot?s hands, he must have been subconsciously absorbing some of it.

That was a bad thing. Absorbing energy was the second-to-last thing he wanted to do in this situation.

The last thing was to release it.

Collins clenched his jaw tightly shut and gripped the flightstick with more force than before. It creaked in his hand, further suggesting to him that he had been absorbing the energy.

?Damn it,? he whispered, voice shaking as he tried to keep himself under control. Something was whispering to him in the dark.

They?re watching me.

They?ll kill me.

?Shut up.?

He could control this. He had to control this. Glenn was going to die if he didn?t get this under control. Glenn and the Professor had spent years helping him master this. It had been years since he?d fallen into energy psychosis, and he was damned if he was--

The Professor knew this would happen. It was his plan all along.

?I said, shut up.?

He had to think. He had to clear his mind. He had to save his friend, but how? He couldn?t fire the missile. It would kill Glenn as surely as the robot would. If he waited much longer, Bernard would get into a firing position and do it for him. The plane?s gun would tear Glenn to pieces, and his own crappy standard issue S.E.F.F. sidearm might as well have been firing blanks.

That?s why they gave it to me. They want me dead. They want all mutants dead. This is all a plot to get us killed. This is all a plot to take over the world. This is all a plot to steal my DNA and clone me. This is all a plot to force me to kill my best friend.

Collins fought the urge to scream. He gripped the flightstick so tightly that it began to crack under his fingers. It was true, wasn?t it? S.E.F.F. had given him a faulty weapon, knowing he would be under attack. They had done this all on purpose, knowing he would die, knowing he would never be able to save Glenn?s life. That?s why they had refused his request to carry a phaser as his sidearm. They knew that with that he could stand a chance, and that without it he would be easy pickings.

He blinked.

The phaser.

Maybe it was that little bit of residual paranoia that he could never shake off, no matter how careful he was to not absorb energy. Maybe it was just his natural instincts. Maybe he was just untrustworthy by nature. Maybe he had been burned too many times.

Whatever it was, there was a reason why Corporal Collins wore a flightsuit that was one size too large. Baggy clothing let him hide something that could very likely get him court martialed if he?d been found out.

He?d requested a phaser as a sidearm.

No can do, they?d said. The technology is too sensitive. It?s too classified.

So he?d stolen one. And if his mind hadn?t been so twisted from the energy psychosis, he might have thought of it sooner.

That was their plan all along. They knew the energy would make me lose control. This is all part of their plot.

Who was it? The Neos? Sentinels? Romulans? The Juranga Jitsus? Maybe his own government. Maybe Professor Xavier.

?Pull it together,? he snarled to himself. He was not giving in to this. He was not letting his mind slip away from him when it was this important. With one hand, Collins slapped the quick-release for the canopy. It exploded away from the plane in half a second, and he was up on his feet in the second half. He reached into his flightsuit and found the Type II Phaser prototype he?d smuggled. His fingers quickly tapped over the settings, adjusting it for the level that would assure the robot?s destruction, but keep from vaporizing Ahdee?khee in the process.

His fingers moved quickly.

They did not move quickly enough.

He watched it like it was slow motion. Corporal Glenn Ahdee?khee was raised high above the robot?s head, struggling ineffectually against its grip. Corporal Glenn Ahdee?khee, the only pilot in Starfleet Academy that Collins could not beat. Corporal Glenn Ahdee?khee, the man who was once the boy that had saved Collins? life. Corporal Glenn Ahdee?khee, his best friend, and maybe the strongest person he had ever known, was thrown down onto the robot?s knee.

The snap echoed in his mind. For a moment, it was the only thought in his head. Then he heard his own voice whispering in the back of his brain:

He?s dead. I just watched him die. I just watched him die, and I did nothing to stop it. I wasn?t paying attention. I didn?t think fast enough. I didn?t spot the danger in time. I didn?t stay alert. I didn?t watch. I didn?t look. I didn?t see. I didn?t know. I didn--

No.

?You?re dead,? Collins said as he lifted his arm. The phaser was steady in his grip, and his aim was dead on. There was no voice in his head, no whisper in his mind, no impossible things dancing in front of his eyes. There was just the cold reality of seeing Glenn Ahdee?khee gasping desperately on the ground, eyes glazed and back bent at a horrible angle.

He squeezed the trigger, sending gigajoules of phased energy slicing through the air and directly into the robot?s armored chest. A high-pitched whistling sound shrieked out from it, and the silver metal of its chest flashed bright orange for a split second before it shattered open, exploding like a fragmentation grenade. Shards of metal sprayed out in all directions as the robot staggered back a step. Only fate kept any of the shards from slicing into Ahdee?khee?s nearly lifeless form.

That same fate was not as forgiving to Collins. A single shard pierced his upper thigh, pressing so deeply in that it chipped through some of the bone. Eyes wide, chest heaving in anger, Collins reached down with his free hand and grabbed the red-hot shard of metal. It was cooling rapidly as his body instinctively soaked up the energy from it rather than be damaged by the heat. He roared in what was either anger or pain as he tore the shard free and tossed it to one side.

His ability to think was fading from him. The residual heat from the shard had tipped him over the edge. Pupils dilated, he turned his attention back to the robot.

Kill it.

?Kill you!?

Collins leapt from the fighter jet?s cockpit. Blood trailed out behind him, flowing from the open wound on his leg. He didn?t ignore it. He was simply unaware of it. There was nothing but him and his enemy. They had tried to silence his truth, but he would not be so easily defeated. His was a righteous cause. His was the cause of retribution. His was the cause of revenge.

There was no tiny part of Collins? mind that tried to stay sane this time. This time, he gave himself over fully to the psychosis in a way that he had not done since meeting Professor Charles Xavier and Glenn Ahdee?khee.

In the time it took for his boots to hit the ground, the wound in his leg was closing. His healing factor was kicking into overdrive as his body struggled to contain the energy it had absorbed. His mind was buckling under the pressure, driving him deeper into rage, paranoia, and psychosis. Strength flowed through him, and time slowed to a crawl as the world struggled to keep up with him.

He raised the phaser and fired it again as he sprinted towards the robot. With its chest now exposed, it was struggling to stay upright, but it had not yet fallen. Wires, pistons, and circuits were visible now that the armor plate was gone.

Collins fired again. This shot struck the robot in the abdomen, causing it to spin on its axis and collapse into the sand. Collins let loose a wordless scream, eyes wild and head throbbing. He fired again.

This time, the robot pushed off of the sand and propelled itself out of the way, avoiding the beam. Collins tracked it smoothly, re-acquiring the target in a heartbeat and taking another shot. The robot, seeming hardly injured despite its damage, dodged out of the way again.

On the third shot, the robot met the beam with the palm of its hand. That same yellow glowing energy that had triggered Collins? energy madness seemed to dissipate the beam, creating a blinding flash of pure white light as the phased energy was dispersed all around it. When Collins could see again, the robot?s unblinking eyes were staring directly at him.

I am the king of hell, those eyes said. I am your father. I am you.

Collins laughed. ?You?re crazy,? he said. The robot continued to stare at him blankly. It did not move. ?You?re absolutely crazy.?

He wasn?t sure who he was talking to. He wasn?t sure what the silver thing was that stood in front of him. He wasn?t sure who he was, how he?d gotten there, or what he was holding in his hand.

All he knew was that whatever was in front of him, he was going to tear it apart with his bare f*cking hands.

*Years ago - Undisclosed Location*

Collins sat with his head in his hands. There was still a slight tremble to them. Pain lingered in his shoulder and his thigh, and the tips of his fingers were a raw red from clawing apart the robot?s armored skin.

It was hard to remember exactly what had happened. The truth was, he didn?t want to remember. He hadn?t succumbed to energy psychosis in years, not since well before joining Starfleet. It felt like a waste.

He was a mutant; a normal human being that was born with a genetic X-factor that provided superhuman abilities. He?d disclosed this to Starfleet when he?d joined, because while Starfleet didn?t care if you were a mutant, they sure cared if you lied about it.

He?d told them. He just hadn?t told them all of it. It was easy to convince the Starfleet examiners that his mutant ability was a highly unreliable healing factor.

There were only a handful of people in the world who knew about his ability to absorb various forms of energy. Professor Charles Xavier was one of them. Corporal Glenn Ahdee?khee was another.

Both men had known him before he was Corporal Collins. They?d known him when he was a scared kid with a mind that wouldn?t give him any peace.

It had been Professor Xavier who?d figured out the truth about Collins? mutant ability. It wasn?t just that he absorbed energy, or worse, that the only way for him to expel it was explosively. It wasn?t just that he couldn?t hold the energy for long, or even that there was a relatively small amount that he could absorb at any time before expelling it.

No, those were all inconsequential. The important part was what it did to his mind; what it had been doing to his mind ever since he?d hit puberty. The more energy he absorbed, the more twisted his mind became. His thoughts became darker. His fears became larger. His senses began to play tricks on him, and it didn?t take long before he lost any sense of who he was.

The Professor called it energy psychosis. It was a dumb name, but it got the point across.

He?d spent years forging the concentration it took to avoid absorbing ambient energy. It was impossible for him to avoid it completely, but he?d managed to make it so he could go for months without having to expel any excess energy, and he could usually find a quiet spot on shore leave to blast a several ton explosive against a cliffside or something. His life was almost normal.

God, it had been so long since he?d felt this way. He was still shaking.

Collins closed his eyes for a moment and then sat up straight before leaning back against the chair. He stared up at the ceiling for a moment, took a calming breath, and then looked back down at Ahdee?khee. The steady beeping of his heart monitor was accompanied by the sound of his slow, even breathing.

The doctors said he was resting comfortably. He?d apparently woken up while Collins was recovering from his own relatively minor injuries. Collins couldn?t remember arriving at this facility. He wasn?t even really sure where they were. He?d blacked out somewhere in the middle of jamming his fist into the robot?s chest and letting loose every single bit of energy he had in him.

He was up now. His healing factor had dropped back into low gear, but he was in good enough shape to move around. There was a nasty jagged scar on his thigh and his shoulder hurt like hell, but he could move around.

He?d been sitting in Ahdee?khee?s room for about an hour, wondering what he?d say when his friend woke up. Part of him wondered if he should even be there at all. This was his fault, after all. If he?d only been a little more alert. If he?d only been a little faster. If he?d only thought just a little bit quicker...

?Did we get ?im??

Ahdee?khee?s voice was low and slightly raspy. Collins tried not to look startled as he looked his friend in the eye. He took a slow breath, then nodded slightly.

?Yeah. We did. Got him with a phaser.? He looked away from him, unable to look Ahdee?khee in the eye. ?I should have been faster.?

?He got me,? Ahdee?khee replied, as if it were a game of tag.

?He shouldn?t have,? Collins said, clenching a fist. ?I should have used the damn phaser first, instead of trying to mess around with that damn sidewinder.?

Instead of losing my concentration. Instead of giving into madness. Instead of nearly letting you get killed.

?I told you to mess around with the sidewinder.?

?Still.?

He felt like such a fool. They?d sworn years ago that each would watch the other?s back, that they would never let the other face a danger alone. Back when they had been two kids who had found they were stronger together than apart, they had always remained a team. He?d been the one to break that pact.

?The doc said my spinal cord is severed,? Glenn said. He said it quickly, the words tumbling from him as if he couldn?t bring himself to say them otherwise. ?And that I?ll never walk again.?

?What?? Collins asked. That wasn?t possible. His own healing factor would have eventually dealt with that kind of problem, but Ahdee?khee?s healing factor was both incredibly reliable and several orders of magnitude more efficient than his own. Even a spinal injury should only take a few days, maybe weeks to heal.

The doctors must not know about it. That was the only explanation. Idiot doctors.

?Are you kidding me?? he said, trying to sound amused by the stupidity of the doctors. ?You can heal yourself!?

?Not according to the Doc,? Ahdee?khee said. ?He said the nerve endings were ruptured. My brain doesn?t think I have a waist and legs anymore, so no bother repairing what it doesn?t think is broken.?

Collins felt his heart drop into his stomach. That made sense. That made too much damn sense.

But it couldn?t be true, right? Someone was lying here. That had to be it. This was a scam. Someone was scamming them.

No. No, that was the residual energy psychosis talking. He had to remember that no one was out to get them, at least not the doctors. Whoever had sent that robot, that was another story altogether.

But still, he couldn?t believe that Ahdee?khee was crippled for life. It just wasn?t possible. Not Glenn Ahdee?khee. He could not be so easily put down.

?I refuse to believe that.?

?I?ve asked for a second opinion,? Ahdee?khee said, stoic as ever. ?Apparently they have a resident specialist that understands mutagenic healing factors.?

Collins nodded at that, perhaps a little too enthusiastically. Yeah, that was good. Get a second opinion, that?ll--

?I?m a cripple.?

Collins blinked in surprise and nearly took a step back in shock. He fixed a hard look at Glenn. ?Don?t say that.?

?I?ll never walk again. My career is over. I?ll never be able to go back to Starfleet like this. Just look at me, they can?t use me. I?m broken.?

?Glenn,? Collins said quickly, surprised at the anger in his own voice. This wasn?t how Glenn Ahdee?khee talked. This wasn?t how he faced a challenge. ?Stop.?

?I?ll never be accepted into TOP GUN now. I?ll never be able to fulfill my S.E.F.F. commitment. I?ll never be able to have children. My life...?

He swallowed hard, and when Collins looked at him, he realized that Glenn was staring up at the ceiling, jaw clenched, hands curled into fists at his side. ?...My life is friggin? over.?

Collins didn?t know what to say. This was wrong. This was just wrong.

?I wanted to make a difference. My whole life was built to make something of myself. I wanted to make my father proud, bro. I wanted to go out there and help people that couldn?t help themselves.? He scoffed and gestured to his body. ?Now look at me. How can I help anyone else out, if I can?t even help myself??

There was steel in his voice now. There was the kind of forceful emotion that the Glenn Ahdee?khee of the past would turn into the kind of power and drive that no one could stand against. Only this time it was focused inward, focused at himself. It made Collins sick to think about.

?Professor Xavier told us we were special,? Glenn spat, chest heaving with anger now. ?How the hell am I special!? Some friggin? healing factor! My back is broken, where?s my healing factor now!??

?Enough!? Collins roared, causing Glenn to blink in surprise. ?Enough, Glenn. This isn?t the Glenn Ahdee?khee that I know. The Glenn Ahdee?khee that I know is a warrior, damn it. A man who stares in the face of adversity and tells it to go f*ck itself. My best friend doesn?t lay around feeling sorry for himself. He doesn?t whine. He doesn?t complain. He?s the strongest person I know, and I re-f*cking-fuse to sit here and listen to this sh*t any longer!?

Glenn stared back at him for a long moment, and Collins could almost see that anger flickering back and forth between the two of them. Finally, it seemed to fade away from Glenn?s eyes. He sagged slightly and wiped his eyes with the heel of his hand.

?I?m sorry,? he said. ?You?re right.?

?I-It?s all right,? Collins said. This was all his fault, anyway. That meant he owed it to his friend to make sure that he understood he could still make a difference with his life. It wasn?t about what he was. It was about who he was. ?Just don?t talk that way about yourself. You know as well as I do that your life isn?t over. The Professor lost the use of his legs, but look at all he accomplishes at the institute. If what the doctors say is right, then just look to him for guidance again, just like we did when we were kids.?

The door opened, cutting off any response from Glenn. It was Wesley Bernard and a doctor with a full red beard. The doctor glanced once at Collins before turning to Glenn.

?Corporal Ahdee?khee,? he said, extending a hand in greeting. ?Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Doctor Cornelius, and I believe I have the answer to your little dilemma. I am a rapid healing specialist. I?ve studied quite a few individuals with abilities similar to yours, and I must say...? He looked to Collins and Bernard before looking back to Ahdee?khee. ?I am honored to be standing in the same room with three of them.?

Collins? brow was furrowed as he observed Doctor Cornelius. There was something about the guy. He didn?t trust him.

No. He was being paranoid. He had to keep himself under control, at least until he could get back to Professor Xavier and re-establish his concentration. There was no way he was going to add to Ahdee?khee?s burden by bitching about his own mutation.

?It?s extremely unfortunate that this accident happened to you, Corporal, and in situations like these, what?s usually best is to assist in your recovery, and in to your adaptation to the new challenges you will be facing. However, as I said, I believe I have the answer to your dilemma.

?Glenn,? Cornelius continued, leaning forward and smiling slightly. ?How would you like to walk again, and be assured that something so... tragic... would never happen to you ever, ever again.?

Collins frowned slightly. Where was this going?

?Anyone in my position would do whatever it?d take to have the use of their legs again,? Ahdee?khee said.

?And what of the assurance that this could never happen again?? Cornelius asked, steepling his fingers together. Collins narrowed his eyes. Why did he feel like Cornelius? smile was a worm on the end of a hook?

?How could you possibly guarantee that, Doctor?? Akhdee?khee asked.

Cornelius shrugged as if the question was of no consequence. ?If I?m not mistaken, I believe you had a recent conversation with Miss Jiganov.?

So that was it.

?Adamantium,? Collins said at the exact same moment as Ahdee?khee.

?Precisely,? Cornelius replied. His smile was cat-like now.

Ahdee?khee shook his head. ?I?m not so sure about it.?

?All we?re looking to do is help you, Glenn, that?s it. The Adamantium will lace to your spinal cord, securing the bone and the nerves into one piece again. Your healing factor will again detect the lower extremities, repairing whatever damage has been done. You?ll be able to stand up and walk out of this hospital a whole man again.?

Collins crossed his arms. ?What?s the catch??

Cornelius turned his disarming smile to him. ?Look, we?re not asking anyone to become walking weapons here, but as the process was most likely explained to you, the procedure needs to be done in threes.?

They?ll kill me in my sleep.

?Nope,? Collins said without even thinking. ?Not happening.?

?What?s wrong?? Bernard interjected, stepping past Cornelius and fixing Collins with a disgusted look. ?You?re not gonna help your best friend walk again? Are you kidding me, Collins??

When I?m under, they?ll install tracking devices under my skin.

Collins shook his head, more to quiet the voice in his head than to show his disapproval. ?I-It?s not that.?

?Oh it?s not?? Bernard asked, scoffing. ?Then what is it? This is a win-win situation! Ahdee?khee walks again, you?ll have unbreakable bones, and I?ll get what I wanted since they laid this thing on the table.?

?So this is all about you?? Ahdee?khee said to Bernard.

?Glenn, you?ll walk again,? Bernard replied, talking to Ahdee?khee as if they were old friends now. ?This isn?t about me. This is about you. I?m willing to do this, for you. Despite all the crap we?ve been through, I?m giving you your chance. Don?t take my chance away from me.?

Collins said nothing. He focused on trying to calm his mind. Was he still absorbing energy, even now, just standing alone around a hospital room? Had he lost all control entirely? He didn?t trust this Cornelius guy, especially since Bernard was for him, but could he trust those instincts? What if he was just jumping at shadows?

?Are you sure this would work?? Ahdee?khee asked after a long moment.

Cornelius replied without a moment?s hesitation. ?I?m absolutely positive.?

Ahdee?khee?s eyes turned towards Collins. There was a hopeful look to them. It was almost childlike in its pleading. ?Well,? he said, the anticipation clear in his voice. ?What would you say??

I can?t trust them.

No, but he could trust Ahdee?khee.

?If you want to do it, Glenn, then I don?t want to be the reason that you may never walk again.? He paused then. The part of him that could still trust in his own rationality added, ?But I- I want to contact S.E.F.F., let them know of our plans.?

Maybe even talk to someone who could offer a better diagnosis.

?All right,? Ahdee?khee said. ?Contact S.E.F.F., then. If they give us the okay, then let?s go for it.?

Collins nodded as he looked to Cornelius to see if the doctor would agree to their terms. If he didn?t, Collins would know something was up. He was prepared for it. He was ready for it. He couldn?t trust them. He knew he cou--

?Excellent, then,? Cornelius said, same smile as before. He clapped Collins gently on the shoulder as he ushered him towards the door. ?Excellent! I?ll take you directly to our communications room, Corporal. The quicker we get in touch with your commanders, the quicker we can make this happen. Please, follow me.?

Collins moved to follow him, but before he left the room, he looked back to Ahdee?khee. The look of relief on his face was palpable as a genuine smile came to his face.

?Thank you,? he said.

Collins nodded, then stood up a little straighter. He could do this. He owed Ahdee?khee that much. And once he talked to General Rickwind, he could get a better idea of what all of this would entail, get some assurances as to how this would be handled, and most importantly for him personally, get in touch with Professor Xavier.

He followed Cornelius down a few hallways, moving past patient?s rooms. They were all empty. In fact, as they continued to move throughout the facility, it seemed like all the rooms were empty. There were no nurses outside of the hall Ahdee?khee was in, and no other patients either. Collins frowned as he realized that, and then looked back to Bernard, who was walking just behind him. Bernard had a satisfied little grin on his face as they went. Collins frowned a little deeper, but kept walking.

It was the energy psychosis. That?s all. He was getting paranoid.

?This is it,? Cornelius said, gesturing to the room just ahead of him. Collins stepped forward, walking into the room. He had expected to see radio equipment, maybe even something as simple as a telephone. Instead, he was looking at an empty hospital room.

They?re going to kill me.

Collins spun on the spot, hands raising into a defensive position, but it was too late. A powerful arm locked around his throat as another pulled his arm back. He choked out a, ?What the fu--? before something was jammed into his neck. Darkness seemed to wash over him. He tried to expel his energy, tried to do anything to get back at his attackers, but there was nothing for him to expel. He?d used it all already.

Blackness took him.

They?re going to kill me. They?re going to kill us.

It?s all my fault.

Dolus Gairu

Date: 2009-02-16 14:49 EST
*Years ago - Undisclosed Location, Monitor Room 1A*

Doctor Cornelius smiled wanly to himself as he looked at the monitor. The feed for the WOLVINATOR subject was proceeding exactly as planned. If anything, the subject was exceeding his expectations in how quickly his body was adapting to the Adamantium. Yes, they had certainly made the right decision with this one. He would be the perfect weapon to use against Wolverine.

He was less certain about the other two projects: SABERWULF and the SPOR-man. All three of the projects had been tailored to the individual strengths of the subjects. The SABERWULF project was to be designed with a similar goal to that of the WOLVINATOR project, namely the capture and/or killing of the rogue Weapon X subject, Sabertooth. Of the three projects, it was the least important. SABERWULF was more of a personal goal of Cornelius?, and not one that he would worry on too much if it didn?t work.

That was why he had chosen Corporal Collins to be the SABERWULF subject. The man?s poor excuse for a healing factor meant he would not waste him on the more important WOLVINATOR project, and certainly not on the SPOR-man project. The latter project was the future of the entire program. No, he had decided very early on that Corporal Bernard would be the best candidate for that project, and he had been confident in that decision up until twelve hours ago.

Twelve hours earlier, Doctor Cornelius had viewed the video logs from the almost completely decimated SHIVA retrieval robot that had been so instrumental in bringing him his three candidates. There had been nothing in any of the briefings to suggest that Corporal Collins was anywhere near capable of holding his own against a SHIVA, let alone completely obliterating it.

His healing factor appeared to have spiked tremendously during the course of the battle, and he had exhibited what could only be construed as superhuman strength.

It had made him rethink the entire program. If Collins could exhibit that level of potential before any augmentation, perhaps he was a better candidate for SPOR than was previously thought.

It was a gamble, but he?d decided to take it, switching the two subjects at the last moment. Bernard would be relegated to the SABERWULF project, receiving minimal upgrades and augmentations. They would need to alter the programs on the fly, particularly the more detailed SPOR project, but he had no doubt they could succeed. If he could harness the kind of destructive power that Collins had exhibited, combined with the incredible durability of an Adamantium-augmented individual with a healing factor, he might well be the greatest triumph of the Weapon XII project, and would ensure all the funding Cornelius could ever dream of.

The door slid open. Cornelius glanced to the newcomer, a nervous young man with thick glasses and a white labcoat that had more than a few coffee stains on it. The man pushed his glasses up his nose as he stared at a clipboard. ?Uh, D-doctor, I have the status reports.?

?And??

?The WOLVINATOR subject is proceeding according to plans. The Adamantium feed was successful, and bonding has been completed. His claws are already manifesting, and mental reconditioning has been initiated.?

Cornelius grinned triumphantly. Two down, and the most important two at that. All that was left now was the SABERWULF project. In truth, it would be rather anti-climactic compared to the SPOR and WOLVINATOR projects.

?Excellent,? he said, looking back up to the monitors. The WOLVINATOR subject?s vital signs seemed clear and strong, proving the excellent nature of his healing factor.

?Um, t-there?s more, sir.?

?More? What more? We haven?t started Saberwulf yet.?

?I-It?s Spor, sir. There?s a complication.?

Cornelius rounded on the man, eyes narrowing in anger. ?What complication? I was told his feed was completed hours ago.?

?W-we thought it was, sir. But, i-it, um, there was a b-bit of a c-c-c--?

?Complication,? Cornelius spat. ?Yes. What is it??

?It?s the Adamantium, sir. It?s cooling too much before it can fully bond with his bones. His body keeps rejecting it. I-I?ve never seen anything like it. His healing factor jumps far above his baseline indicators and he winds up physically rejecting the Adamantium before it finishes the bonding.?

?That?s impossible,? Cornelius said. ?Those calculations are perfect. We accounted for every variable. There?s nothing to cause the molten Adamantium to cool.?

The young man looked everywhere but at Cornelius? eyes. ?W-we have a theory, Doctor.?

?Well??

The young man pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose before glancing down at his clipboard. ?Y-you?ve seen the surveillance videos of his fight with the SHIVA robot??

?Of course I have,? Cornelius snapped. ?Why do you think we put Collins into the SPOR project in the first place??

?W-well, I?ve been studying them carefully, sir. It appears to me that not only is Corporal Collins expelling some form of explosive energy, but we have reason to believe that he actually, um, absorbed the bleedoff from the SHIVA?s mini-reactor core.?

Cornelius felt realization wash over him. ?He absorbed it??

?I think so, sir.?

?Think so, or know so??

?I-I?m not sure, sir.?

?Well be sure!? Cornelius snarled. ?Take Corporal Collins and strap him into a circuit. Find out how much energy he can absorb, what kinds of energy, and how quickly he can do it. We need to determine how much thermal energy he?s absorbing from the Adamantium, then we can calculate the necessary increase in temperature we?ll need in order to properly bond it to his bones.?

?Sir,? the young man said. ?There?s another problem. We?ve attempted three bonding processes on Collins so far, and each of them failed. Our Adamantium supply is, um...?

Cornelius grit his teeth. ?How much do we have left??

?Enough for one more attempt. I-if I could make a suggestion, I think we should abandon the SPOR project and begin Bernard?s SABERWULF enhancements. The chances of success would be much higher.?

?No,? Cornelius said. ?No, we won?t be doing that. The SPOR project is too important to our future endeavors, and we?ve already performed the pre-bonding surgeries and enhancements on Collins. How soon before we can requisition more Adamantium??

?Months, sir. Maybe years. You know how difficult it is to acquire.?

?Then Bernard will have to wait. Start testing Collins? absorption ability. If he?s to be the SPOR-man, then we?ll need a full understanding of his capabilities anyway. Once we know what he can do, down to the last hundredth of a joule, we?ll finish his bonding. No more mistakes, understood??

?Y-yes, sir.?

Cornelius sighed and steepled his fingers as he stared up at the monitor. The WOLVINATOR bonding was proceeding perfectly. That much was good news. His eyes shifted to a different monitor, this one displaying the former Corporal Glenn Ahdee?khee, soon to be the tailor-made assassin, WOLVINATOR. The man -- the weapon -- was twisting and writhing in the chamber, fully conscious during his bonding process. No doubt the feeling of liquid hot metal seeping into his body and coating his bones was an exceedingly painful one. Luckily for him, he would never remember this hellish experience.

?Make sure the restraints on WOLVINATOR are holding,? Cornelius said. ?We don?t want a repeat of Weapon X. We can begin the memory erasure and implantation while Collins is under testing. I want something to show our backers by the end of the month. If it can?t be SPOR, then WOLVINATOR will suffice.?

?And SABERWULF?? the young man asked.

Cornelius shrugged. ?That can wait. If Bernard causes any trouble, we?ll fit him with the pre-bonding enhancements. At least that way he?ll be in surgery so often that he?ll be unconscious more often than not, and I won?t have to listen to his idiotic prattling.?

?Yes, sir.?

Looking back to the monitor, Cornelius nodded to himself. His gamble on the SPOR project had just become more of a long shot, but it was one that he had to take. If this worked, if they could harness the destructive power and regenerative capabilities that Collins had shown, however briefly, then he might soon have the perfect template for what would someday be the strongest military force in the world.

?Dismissed,? Cornelius said, not bothering to look back at the man. ?And keep me informed.?

?Yes, sir.?

*Years ago - Undisclosed Location, Holding Cell*

They thought he was stupid. They thought he was just a dumb fighter jock. They thought he was an animal. They pretended that they didn?t despise him; they pretended that they respected him, but he knew the truth. To them, he was a laboratory rat.

He had been forced to live in this small, windowless room for almost two days now. He had a handful of books, a bed, a toilet, and a computer with a very restricted access. They brought him food three times a day, but the door was locked at all times, as if he might somehow try to escape.

Escape. It was ridiculous. This was what he wanted. This was what he deserved.

It had taken Wesley less than four hours to break the encryption codes on the computer they had given him, and he had spent the last two days reading everything he could about the Weapon XII projects. He was more convinced than ever that this was where he belonged. This was where he would gain strength beyond reckoning.

This was to be the beginning of his legend.

Because even though these people thought of him as a lab rat, they had still recognized his superiority. He was the true embodiment of Homo Superior. With his superhuman strength and unparalleled healing factor, he was the ideal candidate for the next generation of super soldier.

No. Not super soldier. Weapon XII was moving beyond soldiers. He wasn?t going to be some grunt on a battlefield. He was going to be something more. He was going to be the first ever one-man police force. He was going to be the first ever one-man army. He was going to be the template for what strength truly was.

Wesley?s eyes traced over the words on the screen for the thousandth time. He had read the report over and over again, each time relishing the potential of what he would be.

The Soldier, Police, and Operational Reconnaissance Man. The SPOR-Man. That was going to be him. He was going to be the next generation of soldier, policeman, assassin, spy, warrior, and infiltrator. One man for any problem. One man with the strength to survive where others could not. One man who would always get the job done.

Why would he ever try to escape? It had been his cunning and quick wits that had tricked Ahdee?khee and Collins into the project in the first place. It had been his understanding of what the future should be that had led him here. He was that future. He was the SPOR-man.

Or he would be, soon enough. Just as soon as they were done testing the bonding process on those two gimps, Collins and Ahdee?khee. He had read their files too. They were going to get exactly what they deserved. They wouldn?t be soldiers. They wouldn?t be a one-man police force. They wouldn?t be spies or infiltrators. They would be assassins with but a single target.

It made him grin just to think about perfect little soldier-boy Ahdee?khee being turned into the mindless killer outlined in the WOLVINATOR project. His only job, his only purpose, his only reason for existing would be to kill the failed experiment they called Wolverine. God, he wanted to be there when Ahdee?khee completed his mission and Weapon XII flicked his kill-switch. The arrogant bastard deserved nothing else.

And Collins. That was even better. That twitchy f*ck wasn?t even going to get the full treatment. The SABERWULF project was similar to the WOLVINATOR project, only it was obvious that nobody really cared about its success or failure. If Collins survived the bonding process, then he?d be turned into a second assassin, this one designed for the sole purpose of killing a different failed experiment: Sabertooth.

Just for fun, and because he?d already read the SPOR-man project files a thousand times, Bernard called up the SABERWULF project files instead. He felt a grin spread onto his face as he read about the meager little enhancements they would surgically and genetically install into Collins? body. It was nothing compared to the WOLVINATOR project, and compared to the SPOR-man project, it was a goddamn joke.

Part of him wished that the two of them would still have their minds intact when this was all over. Bernard wanted to stand in front of the two of them, power and strength flowing through every aspect of his body, and show them once and for all that he was the best of them. Xavier?s two little prot?g?s couldn?t hold a candle to the power he would have.

Wesley leaned back in the uncomfortable metal chair that was bolted to the floor in front of the computer terminal. His fingers moved easily over the keyboard as he brought up the restricted real-time monitoring for current experimentations. The image of Ahdee?khee opened on the screen. He was floating in a large clear cylinder, a red-visored helmet covering his head. He was thrashing and twitching. His newly implanted claws were extending and retracting every few seconds. Every so often he lashed out, apparently in an attempt to slash his way free, but he was trapped in the center of the cylinder and even his claws could not reach the edge.

Ahdee?khee?s various vital signs were on display below the image. Heart-rate, brain activity, blood pressure, white cell count, oxygen level, even a numerical representation of his accelerated healing factor. Bernard found himself growling slightly as he stared at the numbers. They were slowly ticking upwards. It seemed like the genetic treatments had worked. Ahdee?khee?s healing factor was now much stronger than his own.

He clenched his jaw and reminded himself that it was temporary. He was going to get so much more than just a genetic enhancement of his healing factor. He was going to get the entire X-factor re-sequencing of the SPOR-man project. It wouldn?t just be his healing factor that got stronger. His supernatural strength, his intelligence, everything about him would be greater. Better.

Better than Ahdee?khee.

Calming himself, Wesley tapped a few keys, switching the monitoring to the other current project. Collins? image replaced Ahdee?khee?s. He wasn?t floating in a cylinder, but was instead strapped to a metal table. Electrodes had been fixed to key points on his body, with several connected directly to his recently shaved head. Like Ahdee?khee, he was twitching and thrashing, although much more violently. His entire body seemed to be straining against the thick metal restraints that held him to the table. His eyes were darting around wildly, and they were wide and nearly bugging out of his skull. There was no sound for Bernard, but it was clear that Collins was screaming.

That cheered him up. Part of him wished he could have seen this part of Ahdee?khee?s treatment, but he hadn?t broken into the system in time to witness it. He was happy to settle for Collins though. If he closed his eyes, he thought he could almost hear the screaming.

Bernard sat in silence for a few moments, dreaming about when they would come for him. There would be pain. He knew that. But it would be worth it. He wouldn?t scream and fight like these two pussies. He was going to embrace it. He was going to seize it!

His eyes slid open, and he looked down to the vital signs below Collins? image. It was all very similar to Ahdee?khee?s, although Bernard noted with smug satisfaction that Collins? healing factor representation was pathetically small compared to his own.

He frowned then, noticing a new field right next to the healing factor monitor. It read: ?Joules Absorbed? and was currently at 15.3 megajoules.

?What the hell does that mean?? Bernard whispered to himself, leaning forward to stare at the monitor. The number was slowly ticking upwards. 15.4, 15.6, 15.9, 16.3...

Something red flashed on the screen. Bernard looked over to see Collins? heart-rate shooting up rapidly. His blood pressure was skyrocketing as well, and his brain activity was approaching dangerous levels of heat. Red warning lights were flashing in almost all of the monitor fields. Bernard felt a tiny thrill of excitement as he realized he might be witnessing the moment where Collins died on the table.

The red warning lights continued for two more seconds before they suddenly shut off. Collins? heart-rate returned to acceptable levels. His oxygen levels remained slightly elevated, but his blood pressure lowered. His brain activity had lowered as well, although there were odd spikes that would flash into the yellow zones of barely-acceptable levels every few moments.

It took him a few seconds to figure out what had happened. Aside from the energy monitor, it was the only one of the vital signs that had not flashed into red.

Collins? healing factor had just tripled. Bernard stared at the number for a long moment, unable to believe it. It was still far below him or Ahdee?khee, but it was higher than it had been.

And then it dropped. Just like that, and it was down so low that it was hardly a healing factor at all. Three more seconds went by before it spiked up again, this time so high that it was several orders of magnitude higher than Bernard?s own level, but within another heartbeat it was back down to pathetic levels. It stayed that way, fluctuating by less than a tenth every few seconds.

?What the f*ck??

That didn?t make any sense. Bernard had read up on the treatments, and none of them were getting the healing factor enhancements until after the bonding process. The Adamantium bond would help trigger an overreaction on the parts of their healing factors, assisting in the genetic manipulation that would make them heal even more quickly than usual.

But Collins wasn?t bonded yet. Bernard quickly checked the updated project notes. It was true. Collins didn?t have the Adamantium bond yet. They had tried to bond him, and he?d failed.

?Subject?s energy absorption capabilities may have led to a premature cooling of the liquid Adamantium,? he read to himself, not realizing he was muttering the words aloud as he did so. ?Combined with subject?s naturally erratic healing factor, Project Head has ordered further testing of subject for eventual participation in the SPOR-Man project.?

Bernard?s blood went cold. His throat tightened and he quickly scrolled up on the page. He had missed it when first looking at Collins? monitor status. There, on the top of the page, were the letters S.P.O.R.

?No,? Bernard said. ?Hell no.?

His fingers stumbled over the keys as he quickly pulled up his own file. His eyes scanned over the familiar reports that had classified him as the perfect candidate for the SPOR project. He was breathing heavily by then, a low growl echoing in his throat as he went to the end of the report. There were new entries since the last time he?d read it, which had only been a few hours ago.

14:33: Due to the unexpected viability of candidate Collins (File: XII-1006), candidate Bernard has been downgraded to SABERWULF subject. Procedures will begin once SPOR project is completed on candidate Collins.

16:26: Complications in the bonding process for the SPOR candidate (File: XII-1008) has depleted our Adamantium reserves, necessitating the indefinite postponement of Adamantium bonding for candidate Bernard. The remainder of the planned SABERWULF upgrades will be administered to Candidate Bernard at 18:00 hours, sans Adamantium bond.

?No!? Bernard roared, rising to his feet as he grabbed the monitor. He threw it angrily against the wall where it shattered into dozens of pieces. He grabbed onto the back of the chair with both hands. His muscles bulged and he bellowed in mindless rage as he tore the chair free of its bolts. The sound of screeching metal was drowned out by his animalistic roar.

?It?s mine!?

He swung the chair against the heavy metal door. It clanged against it loudly, but even with his strength there was only a tiny dent in the door?s reinforced surface. He snarled at it and slammed the chair into again. ?Cornelius! It?s mine! It?s mine!?

Over and over again he slammed the chair against the door. The dent began to grow even as the sturdy metal chair was being twisted and mangled into slag. Bernard?s hands were bleeding and he was drenched in sweat as he bashed the chair against the door over and over again. He would kill them. He would kill each and every one of them. They didn?t know who he was. They didn?t know how strong he was. They didn?t know how smart he was. They didn?t know that he was superior. He would show them. He would show them!

?CORNELIUS! IT?S MINE!?

Wesley Bernard never heard the slight hiss coming from the vents in the ceiling. By the time the door was beginning to warp enough that he might be able to squeeze his fingers out and attempt to tear it from its hinges, the room was almost completely saturated with a clear, odorless gas. Most human beings would have fallen into a dreamless sleep within seconds of breathing it in.

Wesley Bernard breathed it in for a good three minutes before he dropped to his knees. The door was bent partway outward by then, and he was straining with all of his might to tear it open. He didn?t notice his vision narrowing, and he didn?t notice his strength fading. The only thing he knew was that he was being cheated out of that which was rightfully his.

?F*ckin? kill you,? he mumbled as his hands dropped to his side. ?Gonna f*ckin? kill you all...?

He collapsed onto his side. His eyes never closed.

*Years Ago - Undisclosed Location, Surgical Theater*

He was on his back. His arms, head, and legs were strapped down. There was a mask over his mouth, and a sickly-sweet smelling gas was flowing into his mouth and nose. Bright lights were shining down on him. His head felt heavy, and his thoughts felt slow.

?Wher?mI?? he croaked. His throat was dry. His lips were cracked. He couldn?t think.

No one answered him.

?Is he conscious?? a distant voice asked.

?Does it matter?? another replied.

A blurry image of someone in a surgical mask leaned over him. The surgeon lifted a powered bone saw.

?I guess not,? the surgeon said. ?Start recording.?

?Recording started.?

?This is SABERWULF surgical enhancement procedure number one of a planned eleven operations. As the subject will not be receiving an Adamantium bonding, procedures six, twelve, and thirteen have been eliminated. We will be installing the initial neuro-coatings in this procedure. Estimate time of procedure is two hours.?

Wesley Bernard?s lips moved weakly.

?Gnnakillyooo,? he groaned.

?We?ll begin with a temporary severing of the spinal cord.?

Bernard?s eyes rolled back as he heard the sound of the saw whirring to life. Pain shot through him, and it did not stop.

Saberwulf.

Dolus Gairu

Date: 2009-02-18 00:49 EST
*Years ago - Undisclosed Location - Darkness and Pain*

It was not pain. It could not be pain. Pain was temporary. Pain was the alternative to the null-state: lack of pain. To feel pain, one had to be able to feel lack of pain.

But there was only pain. Through every cell of his body, through every corner of his mind, through every thread in the weave of his soul, there was pain.

So it couldn?t *be* pain. It had to be something else.

Blood, the monster in his heart cackled at him. Blood and death and it?s all for me. They?re killing me with pain that is more than pain. I?m already dead. This is hell. This is heaven, only heaven turned out to be hell. This is hell, only hell turned out to be the null-hypothesis. That which is hell is all, and that which is not hell is the falsified alternative hypothesis. My existence is to suffer at the hands of my enemies, and they are all my enemies. There is no one to trust. They will betray me. What am I? I must be ready for them...

The pain that could not be pain continued, and with it came the madness of power. He screamed, but it was a null-state. To scream was the norm, because he could not remember not-screaming. His body jerked and flailed in horrible spasms. He had no control over any of it. The pain that could not be pain was in control. They were in control.

They were planning this since the day I was born. They?ve been tracking me through a secret RFID implant imbedded in the base of my skull. My social security number was a tracking code. They watched me everywhere. I knew it. I could feel them. The Professor said it wasn?t real, but he was wrong. He was one of them. They are all one of them. The null-state is that they are all against me. The alternative-state is that there is anyone I can trust. Falsify the alternative-state. Prove the null. The null is true. Can?t trust anyone. They will all betray me. What am I? I must be ready for them...

Voices melted through liquid and plastic. He was floating in a thick liquid. His eyes were blind and his mouth was gagged by a breathing hose. He screamed over it and into it. There had been no sensation except for the pain that could not be pain, but then there were the voices. He heard them. Alternative-function intruding upon null-function. Programming? Statistical? Scientifical? Mathematical? How could he order his thoughts when all there was to be was pain and power?

?The bonding was a success, Doctor.?

The voice was soft. It was melody without song. It was variable without structure. It was function without data. It was possibility without probability. It couldn?t be, not when all there was to be was pain and power.

Pain and power. Agony and energy.

?Excellent,? a different voice said. ?Continue to increase the energy flow. I want to know how much we?ve increased his capacity.?

Turbines screamed. He screamed with them. The pain that could not be pain was more than ever before, and the agony of the energy, the pain of the power was growing along with it. He tried to swing ineffective strikes at his tormentors, his attackers, his owners, but his arms were held tightly to his side.

They are demons in human flesh. They have been watching me since the day I was born. They have drawn ancient sigils on my back in the blood of innocent children, and they have sacrificed my soul to their dark god. My life has never been my own. The Professor said it wasn?t real, but he was wrong. The Professor was one of them. He was a monster in a man?s body. They were all monsters. There is no one that I could trust. Should never have trusted any of them. Reality is distrust. Truth is a function of logic, and logic is a function of distrust. Can?t trust anyone. What am I? I must be ready for them...

Voices floated in and out of his mind. They weren?t real. They couldn?t be. He was a madman, and he could trust nothing, least of all his own mind.

?...wave activity highly abnormal. I?m worried about permanent psychological dama...?

?...Increase energy input by factor of four. Bring him to the brink of death, then take him back do...?

?...ogress on sporman proceeding adequately, genetic re-sequencing of x-factor having greater effect than...?

?...sporman exhibiting several marked increases...?

?...containment field is going to blow! Cut the flow, if he takes anymore it could trigger a chai...?

?...markable. Mean capacity has increased by factor of six. Bring him up that quickly again, right to the point of overload. It must be the stress of near-death that?s triggering the new response. I knew you were the right choice, sporman. I knew it.?

?...ot yet! Not yet! Keep increasing the power! I want him millijoules away from critical mass before we stop! Keep going! Kee...?

?...crease the dosage. He?s starting to adapt to the drugs. He?s not to be fully conscious until the sporman conditioning is complete. Triple it, if you ha...?

?...sporman...?

?...sporman...?

?...sporman...?

Spornan? What?s a spornan?

It was him. It was what they called a being for whom pain could not be pain, because it was all that there was. It was what they called the wretched creature they had created just so that they could control it. They were the shadow men.

They were the shadow men. They had come from lands of darkness, and to them, I was both meal and slave. When I was born they weaved darkness into my soul and marked me as their property. I tried to escape, but they were everywhere. They lived in the shadows. They watched me as I slept. I knew it all along. The Professor had said it wasn?t real, but he was wrong. The Professor was one of them. They were all shadow men. I couldn?t trust anyone. They would all betray me. I am Spornan. I had to be ready for them...

The pain could not be pain. It was too constant. It was too always.

They were aliens. They had come from beyond the void of space, and to them, I was just a specimen to be studied. They wanted to see how I ticked. They wanted to see how I thought. They implanted a chip in my brain to read my thoughts. They were in there now, dispassionately reading my every desire. They had been watching me my entire life, watching from my own mind. The Professor said that wasn?t true, that it wasn?t real, but the Professor was wrong. He was trapped by them too. He was just a specimen for them too. I couldn?t trust him, his thoughts were compromised. I couldn?t trust anyone. I am Spornan. They would all betray me. I had to be ready for them...

The agony of energy flowed through every aspect of him. He was power, but power was pain. Power was madness. Power was the disconnect from reality, but reality wasn?t true.

I wasn?t a man. I wasn?t a person. I was the dream of a fallen god. My thoughts were the dreams of destiny, and my desires were the wants of oblivion. When the god woke, I would cease to be, and all of this would mean less than nothing. Everything else was the nightmare of the fallen god. The Professor said this wasn?t true, that it wasn?t real, but he was right. It wasn?t real. It was the dead god?s dream. I couldn?t trust any of it. I would betray them all. I am Spornan. They had to be ready for me...

A presence stood before him. He could feel it there, energy against energy. The voice of melody without song spoke to him again.

?I?m sorry,? it said. ?They?ll never stop. This is the only way you?ll get peace. I?m sorry...?

The pain that could not be pain turned out to be pain after all. He hadn?t been able to tell for so long, but when the sudden icy warmth began to flow through his veins, he realized that he was feeling, for the first time in eternity, the sensation of not-pain. The null-state was no longer null. It was the alternative.

The icy warmth twisted through his veins. Something beeped loudly in the darkness, and the thick liquid he had been suspended in sluiced away from him. He collapsed onto his knees, unable to hold himself upright. The pain was fading away, slowly being replaced by the icy warmth.

The man who had once been Collins reached for the hose that was snaked through his mouth and down his throat. His hands, Spornan?s hands, stopped short, kept in place by powerful restraints.

He grunted and clenched his fists. Power and agony burned against the iciness flowing inside of him. He reached for the hose.

The straps holding his arms to his sides creaked. The straps holding his arms to his sides screamed. The straps holding his arms to his sides gave way.

Somewhere in the distance, an alarm was sounding. He ignored it and wrapped his fingers around the hose. The strength was fading from them as the iciness continued to flow throughout his body. The buzzing of power and energy was still there, but it was being muffled by the lack of sensation that was building inside of him.

The hose came out of his throat slowly, but once it was gone he was free to breathe again. He sucked in a sharp gasp of air, ignoring the burning sensation in his throat. The iciness was flowing even there, and it would soon soothe every pain he had.

The blaring of the alarm seemed like a distant echo. It grew slightly louder as he pulled off the heavy face-concealing helmet that had been fitted over his head. In the icy numbness flowing through him, he was unaware of the needles and electrodes tearing free from his skin and skull as he removed it. Blood dripped down his face and into his eyes as he blinked rapidly. His arms dropped to his sides, causing the helmet to clatter to the floor of the large tank he was still in the center of. His hands felt heavy. So heavy. He could not lift them.

Buzzing power and icy numbness fought for domination within him. He knelt there passively, head lowered, arms at his sides, hardly able to keep from collapsing to his side. His eyes focused slowly on the room around him.

There were monitors in the darkness. Glowing LCD screens flashed information in bright red. There was a room beyond this room, separated by a clear viewing window. There were dark figures in that room, and they seemed upset. Someone was yelling. He could hear them.

?Containment! We need containment!?

?How did he get free??

?Doctor, his vitals!?

He stared at the people beyond the glass. It was hard to know who they were. Demons? Shadowmen? Gods? Aliens? His parents? The Devil?

Just people?

He tried to shake his head; tried to clear his thoughts. It didn?t work. He was Spornan. He was power and agony.

His head lolled to one side. Unable to raise his neck, his eyes focused on the glittering object hanging from a tube on the outside of his glass cylinder. He blinked at it slowly, trying to determine what it was.

It was a syringe. It was hanging from a loose intravenous tube. The tube was connected to a panel on the side of his cylinder. Another tube was coming out of the cylinder. He had to strain himself to force his head to look down at his arm. The tube led to the crook of his elbow, where a needle had pierced into his veins.

A door opened with a hiss. Men in tactical uniforms rushed into the room, heavily armored and heavily armed. They surrounded his cylinder, shouting at him not to move. Their voices were muffled through the glass. He blinked at them, and then looked back to the syringe.

He could just make out the writing on the side. Morditol-X: 200mg.

Huh. Morditol.

Only one use for Morditol. Fast acting barbiturate. Five milligrams to kill a large man in half a minute. Ten to kill a giant man in ten seconds. One hundred to end the life of a man with a healing factor. Two hundred if you weren?t taking chances.

He recalled the voice.

?...I?m sorry...?

He wondered what for.

And then he died.

Dolus Gairu

Date: 2009-02-26 22:33 EST
The character of Alystrianna is used with permission.

*Years Ago - Undisclosed Location, Hallway*

Her heels clicked a swift rhythm on the cold linoleum. Her every stride was careful and controlled as she made her way to the secondary monitoring lab. Her hair was tied back into a utilitarian bun, and there was not a single strand out of place. Her face was cold and impassive. With her stark white labcoat over her dark purple-and-black pantsuit, she was the perfect image of a professional scientist.

It was a lie, of course. But then, so much of her life was a lie. The face she wore, the cold and impassive visage, that was a lie. The truth was that she wanted to scream.

She had just killed a man.

Alystrianna Illenia D'Vaustaival came to a halt in the middle of the empty hallway. She closed her eyes and forced herself to calm her breathing. It was happening right now. The Morditol would be working its way swiftly through his veins. She had studied the compound carefully. It would do the job, even on a man with a healing factor.

This wasn?t how it was supposed to be. They were supposed to be helping these men. That?s what Doctor Cornelius had assured her. They were all of them suffering, all of them victims of circumstance. They needed the treatments in order to survive. In order to live.

She believed that. She had to believe that.

Then why had she killed him?

Alystrianna pressed her lips tightly together as she breathed in deeply through her nose. She had to pull herself together. No one must know about what she?d done.

It was happening right now. She knew it. The Morditol would move quickly through his body. Before long, his vital signs would start to fluctuate. Blood pressure would hit redline first, followed by oxygen level. That would trigger the emergency draining of the tank, in preparation for standard resuscitation protocol. He would drop to his knees, crumpling down to the floor. His legs would already be paralyzed by then, the Morditol working swiftly on his extremities. With his arms strapped down, he would be unable to remove the helmet. He would die in the darkness, never knowing what had happened to him.

Never knowing that she had killed him because she could not bear to see anyone suffer like that.

Cornelius had said they were helping these men. He had said that they were volunteers, that they had begged for this assignment. He had said that they would wipe out the memories of their pain, and that they would suffer no long-term effects from the process.

She knew enough about the brain to know that for that the man who was the Spor-Man subject, that could not be true. The testing of his abilities had gone beyond the ability of the memory wiping and reconditioning. That damage was permanent. He would remember it forever.

She?d tried to tell Cornelius. She?d begged him to stop, to let the treatments end. The Spor-Man project was a failure. The subject could not handle the testing that Cornelius insisted was necessary.

Her pleas fell on deaf ears. The treatments had continued. The screams went on and on and on.

Now the screams would stop. Cornelius would lose his Spor-Man. She had killed him. She had killed a man whose name she did not know and whose face she had never seen. She had killed him because she wasn?t strong enough to watch him suffer any longer.

It was happening right now. She knew it. His lungs would try to collapse, but the hose down his throat would keep that from occurring. His body would convulse, but the restraints would keep it from being violent. His heart would slow. His veins would constrict. The blood flow to his brain would slow. It would stop.

Alystrianna opened her eyes and looked down at her watch. Yes. It was happening right now. He was dying. He was probably already dead.

Steeling herself, Alystrianna took one more deep, cleansing breath, and then continued on towards the monitoring lab. By the time she strode in the door a few seconds later, she was every bit the calm, cool, and confident scientist.

Cornelius was already there when she arrived. He didn?t offer her so much as a grunt as a greeting. He was too busy staring out the viewport and into the next room. In it, the project named WOLVINATOR was hooked up to the VRRC-unit. The Virtual Reality ReConditioning unit would smooth away the awful memories they had subjected him to. He would be reborn.

The WOLVINATOR subject was wearing only a heavy face-concealing helmet and a micro-fiber mesh of sensors. Not for the first time, she felt herself fighting a blush as she examined his almost nude form. WOLVINATOR. Him, she would save. He needed her. She wasn?t sure how she knew, but she knew. He needed her.

?Subject is proceeding ahead of schedule,? Cornelius said. This was the way he usually spoke to her. Never small-talk. Never chit-chat. Always business with him. ?He?s already gone beyond level fourteen. Makes me wonder if I shouldn?t have made him the SPOR-man after all.?

Her stomach tightened at that. She thought of the horrible image of watching WOLVINATOR screaming in utter agony as they subjected him to torture without end. She spoke without thinking, ?I?m glad you didn?t.?

Cornelius looked over his shoulder at her. ?What was that, Doctor??

Her eyes widened slightly and she fought to explain herself. ?I-I just mean that he?s such a perfect candidate for the WOLVINATOR project. I?m glad you didn?t, um, ch-choose him for a different project.?

Cornelius let his eyes linger on her for a long moment. Then he looked slowly down her body, eyes trailing the curve of her form. She fought the urge to shiver in disgust.

?Yes, well. He was the most qualified for this position. Just as you were most qualified for your position, my dear. If WOLVINATOR were the SPOR-man candidate, I would have no need for your services, now would I? Your skills as an assassin would not be nearly so effective against him if his mind were incapable of recognizing your...? he grinned at her, eyes leveling on her chest. ?Charm.?

Alystrianna lowered her eyes. ?You promised you wouldn?t bring that up anymore.?

?I wouldn?t, but you continue to exhibit an unprofessional attachment to these subjects, Doctor. It?s bad enough to have you whining about the SPOR-man. I don?t need you drooling over WOLVINATOR all day as well. Now get to your station. I want a status report on WOLVINATOR?s developmental progress within the hour.?

?Yes, Do--?

An alarm klaxon shrieked over her words. Alystrianna jumped slightly, genuinely surprised at the sound. She had momentarily forgotten what she had done. On the other end of the facility, the SPOR-man was already dead. They wouldn?t be able to hurt him any more.

?What now?? Cornelius muttered. He tore his eyes from Alystrianna and stalked over to an intercom. Depressing the button he barked, ?This is Cornelius. Status report!?

It took several seconds for a response to come across the speaker. ?The SPOR-man, sir! His vital signs are dropping rapidly! He?s been injected with something. Morditol, I think. A massive dose!?

?What? That?s impossible! Who accessed the lab last??

There was a brief pause.

?U-unknown, sir! Records have been wiped clean!?

?Send in a security team! Secure the body and rush him to surgery.?

Cornelius snarled and let go of the intercom. He stood there for a few seconds, chest heaving, vein in his forehead throbbing, and fingers clenched into fists. He was shaking with rage as he slowly turned his head towards Alystrianna.

?Where were you?? he asked, each word slow and deliberate.

?Tertiary monitoring room,? she lied coolly. Inwardly, her stomach felt as if it were going to twist inside out. Outwardly, she revealed nothing. ?I was overseeing SABERWULF?s latest implantation.?

He stared at her eyes. ?There is proof??

?Yes,? she said. And there was. She had been careful to forge it.

Cornelius took a few slow steps towards her. He pointed to the viewing window, and at the man on the other side who was slashing at invisible foes. ?I expect you to be soft when it comes to him. That?s why you?re here. I want you to breathe him in, to know him better than anyone, so that if the time comes and I find it?s necessary for him to be neutralized, then you will be in the perfect position to do so. But if I find out you are interfering with my other projects...If I find out that you ruined my life?s work...If I find out that the SPOR-man project is dead because of YOU!? He roared at her, grabbing her by the collar of her labcoat. ?I will not. Be. Merciful.?

?I have nothing to do with this,? she whispered.

He growled and shove her away. She stumbled back a few paces. It was difficult to fight the urge to attack him. It would be easy.

She needed him, and so she did nothing. Cornelius went back to the intercom and pressed the button. ?Status report. What?s his condition??

Static was the only reply.

?This is Cornelius!? he shouted into the intercom again. ?I want a status report! Is he dead? Is he alive??

He was dead. She knew it. She had killed him.

Behind the viewing window, WOLVINATOR continued to snarl and slash at the air, doing battle with attackers that existed only for him. She watched him as he moved. She watched the way his muscles bulged and contracted, the way his movements were swift and sure, the way his strength was evident in every strike. It felt like watching poetry.

?Goddammit! Someone answer me! What?s going on dow--?

The world exploded.

*Years Ago - Undisclosed Location, Darkness*

?Vital signs are negative. Sec-team Beta is moving in. Perimeter is secured.?

Darkness.

?Target is non-responsive. Beta team is moving to secure target.?

Oblivion.

?Everett, get his arms. Johnson, take the legs. I want him trussed up like a turkey before we move him.?

Icy numbness.

?Arm-restraints secured, sir.?

Life.

Spornan gasped as consciousness flooded back into him. His heart thudded powerfully in his chest and his skin buzzed with electricity as he stared wildly around. Warning lights flashed and klaxons blared.

?Commander! Vital signs off the charts! He?s alive!?

Assess the situation.

His eyes darted around as he rolled onto his back. He was nude. His hands were bound behind him. There were twelve men in combat armor standing in a tight circle all around him. Twelve assault rifles were trained on his chest.

Energy and agony burned through him. The ice was gone. Only Spornan remained.

Enemies. Can?t be trusted. They?re out to get me.

They were enemies. He couldn?t trust them. They were out to get him.

The Ultimate Weapon. Doctor Cornelius. The robot. It had all happened. He wasn?t crazy. They were out to get him. He couldn?t trust them. They were enemies.

?Don?t move,? the man directly in front of him said. His grip was steady on his rifle. ?Just stay where you are.?

Spornan stared back at the man. Power and pain flooded through him. He had never felt anything like it. His mind struggled to remain intact in the waves of energy crashing over him. They were out to get him.

Twisting his body slightly, he looked over his shoulder and at the thick manacles cuffing his arms together. He frowned and then looked back at the man who?d spoken.

?T-series duranium prisoner restraints with electronic lock and eighteen digit passkey? These are expensive,? he said. His voice was hoarse, and there was a vague image in his mind of two feet of hose being yanked out of his esophagus.

The man with the assault rifle cocked his head to one side. ?I said don?t move.?

??Course not,? Spornan muttered. He looked everywhere but at the guns. ?Crazy thing to do.?

Twelve Krijer model assault rifles. Belgium made. Fifty round detachable box magazine. Seven-hundred and fifty rounds a minute. Times twelve. Six hundred rounds altogether for a total of one hundred and fifty rounds a second. Blue tape on the magazine. Probably armor piercing. Five hundred milliseconds to charge the leader. Three hundred milliseconds for the average human to react. Figure two hundred for trained soldiers. Thirty rounds before he could take down even the first of twelve. The second would take much longer than five hundred milliseconds. They would spend their cartridges before he got that far. Five hundred and fifty two and a half bullets ripping him to shreds.

?You?d have to be crazy,? Spornan mumbled to himself. ?Crazy to do something like that. Have to be crazy. Have to be--?

It took him one hundred and fifty milliseconds to spring to his feet. It took him fifty milliseconds to charge at the leader. It took him fifty milliseconds to slam the front of his Adamantium-reinforced skull into the nose of the leader. It took fifty milliseconds for him to pivot on one foot. It took him one hundred milliseconds to lash a kick out towards the leader?s Belgium-designed Krijer model K1-X assault rifle. It took two-hundred milliseconds to leap over his own arms, getting his hands out in front of him.

It took the first soldier two hundred and sixty eight point four milliseconds to fire the first shot.

They weren?t men. They were demons, and he was the righteous hand of God.

They weren?t men. They were shadows, and he was the light come to purge them.

They weren?t men. They were aliens, and he was the last hope of humanity.

They weren?t men. They were animals, and he was the hunter who would feast on their flesh.

He wasn?t a man. He was a monster, and he was going to hurt these innocent children.

He wasn?t a man. He was the devil, and he was going to corrupt these righteous men.

He wasn?t a man. He was a robot, programmed to kill and destroy.

He wasn?t a man. He was an animal, evolved to hunt to survive.

He wasn?t a man. He was Spornan. More than.

Bullets ripped across his skull, slicing across his skin like scalpels. Blood streamed into his eyes. Dime-sized holes ripped through the soft flesh of his body, pinging against his invincible bones and ricocheting into vital organs. Bile and toxins flooded into him as his kidneys, stomach, liver, and bladder were torn to shreds. Tendons snapped as his lungs exploded.

Power and pain. Energy and agony. Spornan was more than could be contained.

The K1-X assault rifle was dropping from the air as its owner stumbled backwards, blood streaming from his nose. Eleven others spat hot death at him from every angle. He was screaming. Maybe they were too. Reality ticked away at the speed of light; too slowly for him to think, and too quickly for him to dwell.

He snatched the rifle out of the air. His blood-soaked hands gripped the weapon by the barrel. Bullets pipped and popped into his body as he swung the weapon in a wide arc that connected with the face of the next soldier. Blood and teeth sprayed across the room, and the man?s gurgling scream was lost under the cacophony of gunfire.

His body was fire. Blood evaporated into steam as his body expelled excess heat. His organs slid back into place. His lungs sealed their punctures. The surgical slices across his skull stitched themselves back together. He healed. He healed too quickly.

There was power in him. With every strike against the soldiers, the smell of burning flesh began to fill the chamber. Steam rose from his body. Static electricity buzzed in the air just in front of him. It was his armor. He could feel it. He could see it. He could...

Control it.

Spornan cast his hands out towards the closest soldier. A blue arc of electricity sparked across the distance and exploded with a thunderous reverberation. He pointed to a second, and the lightning came again. He pointed to a third, and this time it was a beam of concentrated plasma. It was easy. There was so much inside of him, and it was so simple to tell it what to do; what to be.

Phased energy erupted from his hand, and a concentrated beam of nadion particles struck another soldier. The red beam seemed to dissipate into the man?s body, spreading through him and causing him to drop dully to the ground.

They were all screaming. He wasn?t. Not anymore. He was laughing. He was crying. Power and pain. Energy and agony. It was too much. It was too wonderful. It was too horrible. It was too everything.

There were more soldiers. Men poured into the room, shouting and screaming and cursing and shooting. More and more bullets thudded into his body, forcing him to use more power and pain to heal the damage. The air was rippling with the heat rolling off of him. The transparent aluminum of the tank began to warp. The soldiers fell back, but maintained a perimeter around him as they fired round after round into him.

Hotter and hotter. Power and pain. Energy and agony.

Something clattered at his feet. He paused from his manipulations of the energy around him and within him to look down at it. It was a green cylinder, roughly six inches long. Concussion grenade.

It exploded at his feet. Power and pain. Energy and agony. It was too much.

Spornan lost control of it. Where before the energy was his to master, now there was too much to hold. He did not have time to scream. Nobody did.

The power exploded out of him. The men firing into his flesh were vaporized. The tank was vaporized. The room was vaporized. The walls beyond the room crumbled into dust. The walls beyond those rooms shattered into pieces. The walls beyond those rooms shook and shuddered and crumbled as the sphere of energy cracked through the entire facility. Metal screamed as it was torn and twisted. Concrete exploded into tiny fragments. Men and women died.

Spornan did not die.

Spornan slept.