Topic: Magic 101

CinderElf

Date: 2007-08-17 03:46 EST
"History is the sum total of things that could have been avoided.?- Konrad Adenauer

For some time Cinder was under the impression the Minstrum had manipulated him. An organization made many years ago to regulate the magicals coming and going into the lands. Another of their priorities was to keep tabs on serious wielders of the craft. Such had been the case with him. Serving in the war known as the "Angel Wars" he had caused enough deaths that after the wars he was sentenced to prison by the people he fought on the sides of.

Cinder found himself in a barren field, sure sometime fall it would be a decent place to go hunting. Dressed in black flowing pants and a long armor plate that ran from his shoulder down the length of his left arm. He looked as if he was ready for battle. "Let's fight"! Called in the distance from two men shouting at him on horseback. They dismounted and quickly reached for their pistols.

Cinder walked toward the two men, dressed in fine red uniforms, sabers dangling at their sides. Their pistols in their hands were pointing at him. "So it took us a while to find you guilty for something but I think that is over and done with. We will kill you then find you guilty for something. How does that sound"?

For Cinder he was amused at the likes of these two idiots. Clearly they were sent out after him in hopes he would kill them both. The Minstrum has sunk to a new low he thought.

"Jacob Cleary, and William Hersh Fallwater... good day dogs of Minstrum"! Cinder laughed whole-heartedly as if they were good friends of his.

The two men looked at each other then back to the elf. Big mistake Cinder thought but one can never be sure, the elf grinned. "So you know our names big deal". "You probably seen us around, for sure, magic is waning in this world". The men chuckled amongst themselves as Cinder continued to approach the men. He stood before them the guns resting on his chest. "Magic is waning? What do you know? Fire those guns and be off with it".

-Bang!- A shot rang out and then another -Bang!- another -Bang-. He shook his head looking down at his chest. "What have you done"? He held his hand over himself as he slumped head first into the field. The two men were in shock.

"You killed him"! "What do you mean, you shot him first"! "Well you shot him twice"! They stood over the fallen, kicking its side. He didn?t move. Blood was flowing slowly out from his chest. They crouched down and took a closer look turning him over. The elf was not an elf but a human. More precise it was the official in charge of the seized goods from the merchants dock a few weeks ago.

"We killed the commodore"! "What do you mean we"? One man spat to the side crossing his arms not sure what happened. "It is that trick elf no doubt, his evil ways". They searched the field looking around but no trace could be found.

In the distance Cinder was snug up in a tree a wicked grin on his face. "Now if they could have only seen that in slow motion". He kissed the tree and hopped off, landing. "Rule one of magic: Never keep your eyes off a wizard, not even for a second."

"Rule number two of magic: It's not worth while doing magic if you are just wasted talent. Showing off is good at times but don?t over do it." With that he summoned some wraiths to feed on the souls of the men surely they would possess the men and make them fire the rest of their rounds at each other. Still he knew they were watching him. Somebody always was.

He returned to the cottage and waited at the front. Greeted by Delliah the little black kitten. They had a quick snack on some food Sarah had made earlier. Looking down the road came the wraiths the hissed and gathered around Cinder.

Delliah looked concerned, wondering what he was up to..

"Rule number one hundred and forty three. If you see a stranger follow him... no that wasn?t it...". Delliah purred. "Respect my authority"! Cinder sighed... "Not even close Delliah"!

"SShhis EhhhrrtttthhhssssSSs". Cinder shook his head looking at the wraiths. He sighed. "Manipulation... man pollution... dip them in solution, revolution... I don?t remember. It's been so long".

He stood outside for quite sometime finishing up the clothesline and he took note of the Kayak, thinking tomorrow would be a good time as any to go out. "First I?ll have some issues to settle in the city it seems". Sitting on the steps he was holding his head, wondering if that was true about magic dying out.

CinderElf

Date: 2007-08-19 03:57 EST
Fire and stone met many times upon a forge, creating marvelous weapons in the pitch night the glow of hot embers subsides, as did the amount of blacken fowl whiskey that night. Delliah, sat perched on a black horse as she watched with concern. ?We should return to Plygrethia, come home. There has been too much in the past few months?.

The elf was carefully polishing arrows and then ensuring their effectiveness. Wiping some sweat from his brow he stared at Dellaih and then walked out from under the cellar door. He had hit a few rounds off into a bale of hay stacked in the rear by the corral. ?I?m not here, you go ahead and talk to me?. He slings his bow over his shoulder and climbed the horse as he made haste to Rhy?Din City. ?Your eternal watch, my undying love, and her death?.

He was overdue for revenge. Dressed in full wizards armor, his left arm was covered in the armor from the day before, his face veiled by a horned mask, which covered his long ears as well. ?Bentuo I pray it so?. His eyes were sad beneath the grim engraved helmet, which made him look otherwise. He stopped at the crossroads looking to Delliah. He dismounted picking her up as he touched the ground, placing her on the road.

?This is where we leave, I am uncertain that I will be returning to you. Kristae? I know she wanted me to have you, for us to take care of each other. You must return to your true self?. it was never meant to hurt you, only to protect you?. Cinder unbuckled the collar around the neck of the black kitten. She felt a little strange for a second. Suddenly she was transformed into a large white cat with thick fur small pale spots running across the sides and down her tail. ?I?I remember. Cinder.. I am sorry that you felt abandoned? it wasn?t your fault?. She pounced him knocking him to the ground she pinned him nuzzling her face into his chest. ?You cannot keep living in reserves, you should find yourself. The Minstrum being vanquished will not make you happy, nor would it make Kristae. You told me once that you would make her proud?. ?I cannot make her happy if I am suffering?! He squirmed away from under the now enormous kitten. Cinder stood shaking his head. He took to the horse and rode off into the city. ?Rule three hundred one, the last rule to be added. Cinder Shirastan of Plygrethia, will seek payment on Viscount Halbert?.

Rhy?Din City, home to more corrupt politicians and wealthy men than anyone could dream of. The sick and lame, poor and hungry feed of the lies these humans gave away. Cinder could not tolerate how consumed people had become, humans were not to blame it was everyone. He dismounted the horse and gingerly crept behind a cargo truck as a few enforcers marched down the dim lamp lit streets. ?I better make this fast and easy?. He thought looking around the center of it the entire palace district. Home to the rich and powerful all branches of goverent and facilities that paved a way to a more grim future to the common folk. The Minstrum despite being an old form of conviction had kept up with the times and although the rumors of magic it still played an integral part into the politics. Magicals and Mysterium relied on a set of laws that governed and kept those powers to be at bay.

At one point Cinder was an ambassador for foreign affairs with his wife Kristae a key cabinet member. The tables have turned those many decades ago, and years of power struggles led to a massacre of those ?infected? as they called it with gifts unfit for this world. He wasn?t sure if magic was dying out but he had noticed that those with magical abilities were less and less, soon there would be none he thought. It was known at one time that he was the greatest summoner of all-time now nobody fears an old elf that get?s lost among the waves of humans.

Sneaking into the estate was no easy task. Luckily he had help. Four muscled women dressed in black tight fitting suits were already picking the lock as he arrived. The six unconscious guard dogs were circled around them. A belfwit dragon was slain its throat sliced up the middle one of his male workers resting easy on it with a battle axe giving hi ma thumbs up. He thought that by far was the coolest thing humans did, giving thumbs up often times he over did it and felt guilty afterwards. Cinder smiled giving everyone thumbs up around till they nodded over and over. ?Get in there already?. The lock picker mumbled softly as the door opened up.

Quietly he stepped into the grand entrance room. Clearly somebody has been dipping into the tax relief fund he thought. He headed up towards the staircase; he was familiar of the home. It had once belonged to Kristae?s father. ?Old times, Your parents hated me??. He grinned as he made his into the master bedroom. Tapping the two people sleeping in the bed. He had his bow drawn as he looked coldly through the veil. ?Today you die as victims of a revolution, do not fear for your actions have been remembered and one day people will know what you truly are?. The man looked fearful but he knew who it was. ?Cinder Shirastan? so you are the curse that haunted my ancestors..To finally meet you in the flesh? I know it?. Before the man could speak, -Futh!- an arrow pierced his chest through the bed sheet at the gentleman then another at the woman beside him. He wandered out of the room and headed downstairs.

He turned looking upward at the staircase, servants and children looked down upon the masked elf. ?If dogs of the Minstrum arrive, tell them the president is dead. A revolution is at hand; they cannot turn their backs. People like me deserve respect we will not be beaten into the pages of the past.? Cinder took of his mask and bowed with honor. ?I have made an error and my skies are forever darkened those many decades ago. Goodbye Rhy?Din??.

Cinder walked out the front door, hanging his head low he looked to the crowd of enforcers that had halted his advancement. ?The elf! The elf, Killed the president?! The enforcers took no time waiting they charged at the elf but Cinder managed to get by. A large white cat the size of a highland ox tearing fully armored men and women as appetizers. They drew their rifles in the distance men taking turns as each session reloaded and powdered their guns. A few shots nearly hit the cat, two of them found their home in the chest of Cinder, and he fell instantly. A solider struck him in the head with a stave before he was decapitated. Delliah was shot a few times in her hind legs as Cinder protected her from further harm.

"I'd hate to cause such a chill...". He wasn't trying to be funny but he sounded quite silly as he summoned a hailstorm ice. It had be fallen the estate. Waves of Minstrum soldiers froze as if sculptures. Golems of ice appeared breaking the walls around the place. They invaded the interior causing a wake of bloodshed on gaurds, maids and children all were not spared. The house would be frozen over and wiped clean of life till he saw fit. Cinder blacked out watching blood drip from a strand of hair in front of his face. A glimpse of a shadow, he felt the beats of footsteps running hearing a feline roar as shrieks of men returned. Ice began to melt.

Hours later he found himself slummed over inside his Kayak resting on the beach, he was drunk and losing blood. Delliah was passed out a few yards away on the sand leading up to the road. ?Sarah?. He saw her in the distance on Mor riding towards him, he blacked out once again.

CinderElf

Date: 2007-08-25 04:19 EST
"The rules were meant to be broken. Perhaps magic is waning.. maybe I too will vanish".

-RhyDin, a small farming community near the province or Miraue.-

"The time spent here was worth the troubles, laughter and misery and joys. I dont think much about how it was supposed to be anymore. Perhaps it is fortune, maybe i'm getting old and care little of life. The Midgar Minstrum branch had sent me a letter a few days ago. They were impending a full investigation on the one here. I may not know why they had it out for me perhaps that lies with you... Delliah remembers how you died and how she suffered carrying my burden. I killed recently, out of revenge. It's not what you have wanted but my love and vengence knows no bounds. If only I had been there when you needed me, how could i have known."

Wiping a tear from his eyes, he was a mix of feelings. He held tightly to a sunflower he had bought localy. "Remember when you insisted on planting these... I never did like them all too much. They attracted too much attention. Squirrels would dig the garden for ripe seeds. Birds and many other creatures".

Cinder smiled some knelt over a grave.

"I think the cat wishes to go back home, I know a part of me does too. I know I'm supposed to figure it out, what I am supposed to do. I know you'd insist on my happiness. I believe I am getting there again. Hope you are well, I love you". He stood bowing his head his hands clapsed together holding the sunflower head. Brillant and bright with many rivets of seeds, it was her favorite flower.

He placed it beside the stone, and walked into the small church. He wasnt the kind tohave his soul saved by human gods but he knew Kristae would have. Had it been his stone she was looking down upon, she would have prayed.

He sat in the back among some old women who apparently bring their knitting to worship. He smiled warmly at the old ladies as they looked to the elf with curiosity. The candles flickered on the altar while a man dressed much like a wizard in robes stood at a pulpit reading a sermon. He didnt really understand how a man could have gotten stuck inside a whale but he enjoyed it none the less. He remained seated as people stood to sing a hymn. He felt out of place, he didnt know the songs and he figured perhaps it was time he headed back. Bowing and out of respect for their pious worshiping he left his last coin in the offering tray at the door. Broke once more.

He sighed looking to the pale sky, he walked back to the Inn he had stayed the night before. Hearing the music he decided to stay for another day, besides it was getting late. The music and people singing once more was more his taste, gritty and honest. The workers the dyers, farmers, laborers, thier heart was in their songs of freedom and good times. He joined them for a few rounds of ale, before joining them for a few songs.

"Here is where hope is found, in Humans".

He thought to himself as he finished up his glass. He headed up to his room and turned in for the night thinking of Sarah and the cootage. Hoping the weather was fair he could get there by nightfall.