Crispin

Date: 2013-08-13 03:13 EST
July 1st

?

?

"One eight-hundred WARLOCK, this is Salome."

"I made it?"

"Cris!"

"Why do you sound so surprised? ? I don't believe it. I never thought you'd literally try to get rid of me."

"If you don't watch your mouth, I just might. Where did you end up?"

"I don't know. Some town."

"Well your articulation has certainly improved."

"Oh, tch."

"Come on, you can't tell me one thing about this place? What does it look like?

"A town."

"Well, what about the people?"

"They're loud."

"The weather?"

"Hot."

"Have a nice life, Cris."

CLICK

?

?

"I said have a nice life, Cris."

"You hung up on me."

"You were acting like a prick. Even more than usual."

"Thanks."

"Don't mention it."

"I didn't mean just about hanging up."

"I know. And I still mean what I said. Don't mention it."

?

"Have a nice life, Cris."

"Yeah. Same to you, Salome."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2013-08-14 22:05 EST
July 7th

?

?

"?Nnnh, mnh? One--one eight-hundred? What time is--oh, hell no. Whoever this is, you'll find toads coming out your *** for waking me this early. I'd suggest picking up some Immodium AD."

CLICK

?

?

?

?

"Thank you for calling one eight-hundred WARLOCK, you've reached Salome Mart?n at a moment of indisposition. If you'd so kindly?"

CLICK

?

?

?

"Thank you for calling?"

CLICK

?

?

"What in all the levels of Hell could you possibly want this early in the morning, you wart on a skunk's--"

"Salome."

?

"?Cris?!"

?

"You know those things with the dials and the numbers, sometimes in a sequence of three and four, with a colon in the middle? They're called clocks. I think it's time you invested in one."

"I'm sorry to wake you, I just--I had to know. I had to see. Are things alright there?"

"Heh. Let me get this straight, Cris. You called me, after an entire week. After I specifically told you not to. So far up into the crack of dawn that were there a God I would be able to tell you what he'd eaten for the last week. Just to see if I was alright?"

"You never said not to call you. You said 'Have a nice life.' Two completely separate things."

"Not at four in the morning, Crispin. What do you want?"

"There was a man here. A boy, really. He told the story of where he comes from, his home. It was Earth, Salome. Though now? Are you certain that things are alright there?"

"Alright in what sense?"

"What do you mean, in what sense? Either they're alright or they're not."

"In the way that your kind care about the world around them, Cris, they are exactly as you left them."

?

?

"Thank the Angel?"

"The Angel? Oh ho, that's not something I've heard come out of your mouth in two months. Are you sure you haven't ruptured anything, keeping all that Divine Love inside?"

"Salome, I was serious."

?

"Fine. I believe you. What else did this manboy say?"

"There was an entire list of things that went wrong on?on his Earth. All together, it sounded like the most ridiculous horror movie, but the way he spoke about it?"

?

"You were really concerned, weren't you?"

"Why else would I have called?"

"You've got me there."

?

"So what will you do?"

"About what?"

?

?

"Nothing. According to your description, it seems like this manboy's Earth and ours are on completely separate planes, not even close to one another otherwise we would have felt some sort of effect. You can untwist your panties now."

"Thank you, Salome, I've been waiting on pins and needles for that command."

Laughter. "Are you done?"

"I believe so."

?

"I told you it would be good for you."

"I'm not so sure you're right yet."

"I am."

"Goodnight, Salome."

"Good morning, Cris."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2013-08-19 00:00 EST
July 11th

?

?

?

"One eight-hundred WARLOCK, perma-sparklers now fifty percent off. How can I make your day explosively epic?"

"What do you know of hypnotism?"

"A simple 'no, thank you' would have worked wonders, Cris."

"Fine. No thank you."

"Bastard. Still sore about last fourth of July, aren't you? We told you not to light them with your stele, but you insisted. Once a Shadowhunter, always a--"

"Salome, please, can we cut through all the bull****?"

?

"Oh, alright. Though I don't know why you're asking me, there are people in that town that have mouths and brains, aren't there?"

"It's not that simple."

"Riiiiight. I forgot that you were born without any social nerves in your body. I thought that was just a disease all Nephilim developed at birth but with you, it was way too strong."

?

?

"What are you so worried about?"

"I met a girl."

?

"?Well that was rather fast."

"Angel's mercy, Salome, it's not like that."

"I suppose I shall give you a chance to explain what it is like."

"Her name is Yasmina and she is a Mundane. A Mundane entirely too fascinated by the Shadow World--"

"Aren't they always? It's what makes them so easy to kill."

"Exactly. She found herself here at the hands of an elderly man that seemed, by her description, to be either a Warlock or something similar to one. He tricked her into falling into this town, this world."

"Ssso?"

"She's gone and gotten herself enraptured by yet another master of the art of hypnotism, an elder woman this time who at first seemed politely concerned for Yasmina's welfare, but?I know that to be false. Yasmina didn't seem to think anything wrong with her at all, they both tried to convince me I was just imagining things."

"And how do you know all this ?"

"Instinct. There is something wrong with this entire situation."

"It sounds entirely normal to me."

"How can that be normal?"

"Man, when logic catches up with you it's going to hurt."

"I don't understand!"

"And you don't need to. Did you forget that? What business is it of yours if some stupid Mundane gets herself killed?"

"I was there, Salome. I saw the whole thing. You can't expect me to just--"

"Much worse things have happened in your presence, Cris, and you've done nothing about them. You've cared nothing about them. You couldn't even be bothered to bat an overly long eyelash."

?

?

"Why do you care? Do you like her?"

"Of course not."

"Do you have incredibly impure thoughts about her? Irritated that someone got into her mind before you could?"

"Angel's mercy, no. Where do you get this--"

"What about the old woman? What about her's got you so wound up? You wanna kill her?'

"Salome?"

"Well, what is it?! She's a Mundane, her stupidity is her own fault, it's not your responsibility!"

"I don't know! ? Alright? I don't know why it bothered me so much. I just?it felt wrong, Salome. That kind of power shouldn't be thrown around. Mundanes are not toys."

"Is that all?

"This older woman played with her like a cat would a ball of yarn. I could not take it."

"You walked out, didn't you?"

?

"And then you called me, to see if I could somehow make you feel better. Feel less guilty."

?

?

"I tried that for two months straight with you, Cris. I'm done. Whatever problems this caused you, deal with it yourself."

"Salome--"

"Don't call here ever again. You have a new life now, go and live it. Attempt to save your Mundane. But I wouldn't get my hopes up. A broken Nephilim is as useless as a bird without wings."

CLICK.

Crispin

Date: 2013-08-19 05:17 EST
ONE NEW VOICE MESSAGE.

FIRST VOICE MESSAGE.

BEEP!

"Salome. I know you told me never to contact you again and I know I deserve that? And while you will also glare at your phone for several moments before you delete this message, I find myself needing to call you anyway.

"I was involved in a battle. Well. It was more like an alley brawl, but there was plenty of blood. I suffered only minor injuries, not that that's relevant. The grenades of holy water you always used to make for us worked wonders.

"There are Night Children even here. I should not be surprised for I think I've seen demons even during my short time here.

"I've no idea why but they had come after a woman that has been rather kind to me. I jumped into the fray without a second thought."

?

"There is something about this town, the newness of it that is beginning to seep into me. I'm unsure of whether or not I enjoy it or am terrified of it. I came to begin to forget and to start again without the influence of anything I've known before.

"But I can't rid myself of these Marks. I've tried to abandon my gear and seraph blades several times, but I can't stand their distance for longer than a few hours.

"I cannot change who or what I am. And I do not know why I need to feel safe. Safety is a luxury that should not be available to me, and yet here I am."

?

"I've thought a lot about you lately, and of her, and what she would think were she to see me as I am now.

"It's lonely."

?

?

"Goodbye, Salome."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2013-08-20 18:47 EST
July 27th

?

?

?

?

"Thank you for calling one eight-hundred WARLOCK, you've reached?"

CLICK

?

?

?

?

"Thank you for?"

CLICK

?

?

?

?

"Thank?"

CLICK

?

?

?

?

"Thank you for calling one eight-hundred WARLOCK, you've reached Salome Mart?n at a moment of indisposition. If you'd so kindly leave your name, situation and the swiftest way for me to reach you; I will do my best to be in touch before you die. If you do in fact die, please don't haunt me. I will exorcise you from sack to eyeballs. Have a great day."

"?

"?

"?I think I've seen a ghost. Her ghost, Salome. It was a mistake to send me here. Why could you not have just killed me and gotten it over with? Mm? The Angel knows you wanted and tried to."

Sigh. "That's not possible, is it? For a ghost to pass through planes so disconnected with each other? She couldn't legitimately find me, follow me. Could she?

"Of course not?

"It was just a girl. A girl that looked very much like her. She acted so differently and yet?"

"?

"?

"?Salome. Please. Pick up the phone. You're the only one who knows. Who knows what to do.

"I need your help."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2013-08-21 05:20 EST
July 28th

?

?

?

"Salome."

"Cris."

"I?you called."

"Looks that way."

"But?"

"Let's not make a huge deal out of it. You called me, asked for my help. Simple as that."

"Heh. Will you charge me?"

"Depends how interested I am in your case. Tell me what you saw."

?

"I don't know what I saw anymore."

"Do you know her name?"

"No."

"God, you suck. Well, what was she?"

?

"Beautiful."

"I don't mean that. What was she? A Mundane, a Vampire, a Werewolf, what?"

"As far as I could tell, Mundane. I didn't exactly look very long."

"Congratulations, you don't have a ghost problem. Or a reincarnation problem, for that matter."

"You knew that all along, didn't you?"

"So did you, Cris, you just needed reassurance."

?

?

"I could have sworn it was her, Salome. Nothing about this woman's appearance is in any way different than Bianca's."

"But that's all it was, Cris. You know that. There are hundreds, thousands of planes of existence and hundreds of thousands of genetic possibilities. Isn't it possible that someone's genetic code could mix with another's in just the right way to recreate the appearance of someone completely foreign to them?"

"Of course you're right."

"Thank you. I mean, hell. You have a twin running around somewhere, so do I. And you always knew there could never be two Biancas. Either in one world or several."

?

?

?

"I am an idiot."

"Don't make it too easy for me to agree with you, Cris."

"I should have known, Salome. I shouldn't have jumped to any conclusion, I shouldn't have?"

"Hey. Relax. This road of should have, would have, could have was what drove you to where you are now. Don't forget that."

?

"You're right. Yes?"

"This must have really shaken you up. You admitted I was right twice in one minute."

?

"It's not the only thing bothering you, is it?"

"No."

"What else is there?"

?

?

"You're on the clock here, hotshot. Client to representative, nothing more."

"I mentioned a woman in the first voicemail I left you. The one who was kind to me, who was attacked by vampires."

"I remember."

"Her name is Gem. She was attacked again, though this time she nearly lost her life."

"You know, that sounds like a pattern."

"By the same group of vampires. There is something bigger going on, a fued or a war between the side that Gem has chosen to back, and the Night Children."

"Can't she protect herself?"

"Tch, yes. But anyone will go down if they are outnumbered."

"And this concerns you?how? Why?"

?

?

"She was kind to me, Salome."

"So? Plenty of people can be kind to you, what makes this situation different from any others?"

"She does not know me, and she is still kind. She wants nothing from me. She's tried to help me in whatever way she thinks I need and she doesn't get in my way. She does not deserve to be hurt the way she's been."

"So you used my grenades?"

"Ha, yes. They did."

"How many did you kill?"

"Just two."

"Only two? My my, how the mighty have fallen."

"Hush."

?

?

?

"It turns out, though, that Gem has the makings of an empath."

?

"Did she discover anything important?"

"No. At least she did not say so. ? She only said that she'd felt a jumble of emotion from me. I'll never forget how she described it."

"And how was that?"

?

"She said?that it felt like I'd found the love of my life and lost them all in the same day."

?

?

"Cris, I know you're hiding a lot? But it's been three months now. Are the wounds still that fresh to you?"

?

?

Sigh. "I guess so."

"I should go. I've taken up enough of your time."

?

"Cris, you should know. ? If you have to, if you need to. You can--"

"I know."

"That doesn't mean I don't think some of the things you're getting yourself involved in aren't absolute crap."

"Heh, I know that too."

?

"When you start clean, you have to start clean. ? I'm proud of you, Cris."

?

?

"Thank you, Salome?"

"Bye."

"Yeah, bye?"

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2013-08-27 03:29 EST
August 3rd

?

?

?

"Thank you for calling one eight-hundred WARLOCK, this is Salome."

"What is it with me and Downworlders?"

"Cris. I was wondering when I'd hear from you. ? Are you smoking?"

"A dreaded necessity."

"The exhale gave you away. What's your problem this time?"

"Are you free to talk?"

"Never. But for you, I'll cut my fee in half."

?

"I met a woman?"

"Don't tell me. She's a Downworlder. How did I know that this story was going to start out like that?"

"Because you're good at your job."

"It's true. So. What's she liiike?"

"Let me preface this by saying that my relationship with her is not like that."

"Not yet."

"Oh, by the Angel--"

"What? You've an attraction to us. It's alright. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Relish in your addiction to sin."

?

"May I speak now?"

"If you must?"

"Her name is Lenore. And she is?she has the ability to Change into any animal she chooses."

"Interesting. Warlock?"

"Not that I've deduced. She's a very quiet girl even though her hair is of the loudest shade of blue I've seen in years. Small, unobtrusive. She's little social experience, that much I can tell."

"Probably because you suffer the same affliction."

"I've spent a great deal of time with her since the last time we spoke."

"And?"

?

"Most of the time, our conversations do not end on the best of notes. Either she is offended, or I am, and it's a pattern that's grown rather frustrating."

"Have you checked yourself for tits today? You sound like a woman, Nephilim."

"Thank you, Salome, that's rather helpful."

"You didn't call for my help, Cris, you called because I'm the only one who'll listen to you."

?

?

"Is it that much trouble to you?"

?

"So then let me guess. This time it's gone a bit further than usual. What happened?"

?

"I'm not entirely sure. She's?different. I'm curious about her. And in an effort to learn what I can, I provide information of my own."

"How much does she know about you?"

"Everything that's readily apparent."

"Isn't there some Shadowhunter code against that kinda crap?"

"I'm no longer a Shadowhunter."

"You know Cris, you can keep telling yourself that. But unless you really suck it up and die, you'll always be a Shadowhunter."

?

"I feel she might think the same."

"What do you mean?"

"I saw no reason to keep from her what I've done with my life. And so, I told her of Shadowhunters and what it is they stand for."

"Did she freak out?"

"That's?a bit of an overstatement, but yes. In a way. But in a way, so did I."

"Well now."

?

"She think you were going to kill her?"

"Surprisingly? No. But she's fervently against violence. At least against those that don't deserve it."

"I hear that's a desired trait."

?

"Cris, I've got to tell you. You're not making any sense. What's got you so worried about this? It's not like you."

?

"Lenore thinks that I am only seeing a Downworlder in her because that is the only way I can comprehend a being like her. Salome, you're no stranger to a Nephilim's attitude toward--"

"No, no. I'm a complete stranger. Why don't you explain it to me?"

"I'm sorry."

?

"You know, I think you should be. And if you lose what you're trying to build in this new life, I don't feel one bit sorry for you."

"You know better than anyone the levels of hell I've been through ever since Bianca's death!"

Sigh. "That has nothing to do with this, Cris. You can't keep hiding behind it. It was not your fault she died, it was hers. Think what you like, but she wasn't at all good for you. If you're going to keep on this guilt trip, do it about things that you actually did wrong."

?

?

"Like this."

"Like this."

?

Sigh. "By the Angel? Do you know what I said to her?"

"No."

"I told her that being unable to slaughter Downworlders like any respectable Nephlim nearly destroyed me."

?

?

?

"You know. While true? That's a pretty insulting thing to say. That whole I wish I could kill you, but I can't routine only works in the movies."

?

"And you're not exactly a romantic in the first place."

?

"I mean, you probably said it with your serial killer face on."

"Alright, Salome, I understand."

"What would make you say something like that?"

?

"I don't know, I was?trying to prove a point. That I would not kill her, even were she a Downworlder."

"This girl's obviously important enough to you to be in your mind like this, right?"

?

"So take some time. Think. Grow your tact bone back a little bit and talk to her."

?

?

"?She's had a difficult life."

"There's no such thing as an easy one. But you can make it better by not being so much of a wanker."

"A wanker?"

"I forget you're not literally from England."

?

?

"No, I'm not."

"Get some rest, Cris. Put your stele away. I know you've been Marking yourself for stamina."

"I'll try."

"The smoke should help. Just don't go overboard."

"Heh. Thanks, mom."

"Don't make me spank you."

Chuckles. "Good night, Salome."

"Night, Cris."

CLICK.

Crispin

Date: 2013-08-28 20:49 EST
August 5th

?

?

"One eight-hundred WARLOCK, Salome speaking."

?

?

"I think I might have acted rashly."

"Cris?"

"Who else would it be?"

"You sound?off."

"Side effect of battle."

"Battle?"

"I accept an invitation to join in Gem's lover's war."

?

?

"Why? You've known these people for a little over one month. And that's enough time for you to decide who's right and who's wrong?"

"It's a war against vampires."

?

"The one they fight against is dangerous. He's a necromancer, that alone gives him extreme control over the dead, and he's a vampire himself. One of three original children. The vampires that targeted Gem were his doing. When I fought them the first time, I was not alone. The others that were there saw what I could do. Ever since then, Gem's lover has been requesting my help."

?

?

"What do you want me to say?"

"Is there anything you can say?"

"Why did you agree to this? What did they say to you to change your mind? And don't bull**** me about how this friend of yours doesn't deserve pain. While that might be true, I know you better than that."

?

?

"Revenge."

"Revenge."

"Yes."

"Yours?"

"Of course not. Her lover's, Bjorne's."

"You lost me."

"The second time Gem was attacked, she wasn't just merely attacked. She was taken. I've no idea what this vampire did to her, she won't tell me." Scoff. "But they were able to get her back before he?killed her. The revenge is his, not mine."

"Wanna bet?"

"Don't start."

"No, Cris, I will. You're using this as a way to placate your own guilt about Bianca."

"Everyone should have their vengeance, Salome. That's not something to be denied anyone."

"It's not good enough we got them all?"

"You got them all."

"Cris?"

"No. I am telling you this because some small cluster of my brain thought that you would actually like to know what's going on here. What you sent me into. That you gave a **** that I've grown beyond what you've known me to do in all situations like this for the last four months. Clearly I was mistaken."

"?Fine. Hang up like a petulant child."

"I will."

CLICK.

Crispin

Date: 2013-08-30 00:30 EST
August 14th

?

?

?

?

"One eight-hundred WARLOCK, the rumors are most definitely true. This is Salome, how can I help you?"

"Hello Salome."

?

"Cris."

?

?

?

"Will we sit in silence the whole time?"

"I don't know, Cris. You know, to be honest? These calls are wearing on me. I've got my own **** to deal with without you drudging up all of this old stuff that really?really has no purpose in either of our lives anymore."

?

?

"Let's face it? Bianca was what held us all together as friends. Without her, you and I are just like any other Downworlder and Nephilim staying in contact for whatever reason."

?

"You know I said it once, but I think I really mean it this time. Don't call here anymore. Please. It's better for the both of us if we just bury it like we should have four months ago. Does that sound alright with you?"

?

"That sounds fine?"

?

"I'm sorry, Cris. Really. I am. About all of it. I know you loved her, and I loved her too. But I'm sure if she could see us right now she'd throw us both off a bridge."

Chuckles.

Chuckles.

?

?

"Whatever you do, Cris?don't die too."

"?I won't."

?

"Good. Well?"

"Yeah?"

"Goodbye, Crispin."

"Farewell, Salome?"

CLICK.

Crispin

Date: 2013-10-16 17:02 EST
October 16th

?

?

?

"1-800-WARLOCK, don't forget to stock up on exploding pumpkins, cannibalistic candy bowls and your bottled ghosts for Halloween. How can I help you?"

"I? Uh. Hi. My name's Zynnara. I was talking to someone the other day. He was surprised that I didn't know much, in the ways of magic, given the fact that I'm a warlock and all. He told me I could give you a call, and see if you'd be willing to teach me. Or at least help me out. I figured it wouldn't hurt to call."

"A recommendation, eh? Well, that's not so surprising, my reputation's rather stellar. If you don't count the lawsuits. But anyway! How old are you?"

"Yeah, a recommendation. I'm twenty-one."

"Twenty-one? And you don't know very much already? Have you been living under a rock?

"No, scratch that. That part doesn't matter. It's just shocking. Better late than never? What is it that you were wanting to learn?"

"I didn't get out much." Snort. "A lot. He told me you could probably teach me how to create portals. I'd also like to learn how to get a good reign on my magic. I made a dagger explode last night."

"That's an understatement. You keep saying "he". Who is this magical guardian angel that I'll have to thank at some point for your business?"

"Uhh. I was told not to mention names. Because you'd probably hang up. And I'd rather not have you do so."

?

?

"Where are you right now?"

"A little town called Rhy'din."

Snort. "Well, I guess I was right about the angel part, wasn't I?"

"Nnnh. Yeah. You are."

"Sooo. Crissspin." Sigh. "Zynnara, right?"

"Yeah, Cris." Pause. "And yes, Zynnara."

"Alright. Let me?let me call you back. I've got your number saved. He told you I was going to hang up? What a douchebag. I'll prove him wrong.

"Well. After this. Excuse me."

CLICK.

Crispin

Date: 2013-10-17 05:05 EST
October 16th

?

?

?

?

"Your call has been transferred to a?"

CLICK.

?

?

?

?

"Your call?"

CLICK.

?

?

?

?

"Your call?"

CLICK.

?

?

"What?"

"WHAT? Don't you what me, Nephilim. I've got a bone to pick with you. And when I say bone, I don't mean anything small, I mean a femur. Of a tyrannosaurus."

Sigh. "Alright, just--hold on."

"I will not just hold on. First, out of the blue, you call in the middle of night. Though I forgot that when you were filled with Raziel's love you lost your perception of time. And now you're sending newbies to my offices? Your newbies? Your Warlock newbies?"

"Salome?"

"You're doing a terrible job starting over if you're still hanging out with us. I thought you wanted to divorce yourself completely from your old life."

?

?

"Cris, can't you just leave me alone? Please. I've asked you this plenty of times. I can't?I can't deal with you. I can't."

"You don't have to. You'll just have to deal with her. Or don't."

"Are you?are you talking to me in a bathroom?"

"Yes."

"You're letting me chew you out in a goddamn bathroom? What, are you squeezing one out?"

"By the Angel, Salome, shut up. I did not want to wake Lenore, that is all."

?

?

?

?

"Lenore."

"Yes."

?

"A lot's happened since we last spoke."

"Ohhh, it sounds like it."

?

?

"Look. I told Zynnara not to mention me because I did not want anybody to go through this exact situation. The fact that she met me here is entirely coincidental. I gave her your number because despite everything that's happened between us, I know you to be excellent at what you do and I thought she'd benefit from your expertise. She knows nothing about herself nor about what she can do, and she's only looking for means to deduce what exactly happened to her mother."

?

"Her mother?"

"Adopted. I thought the same as you." Exhale. "I'm sure she'll tell you all this herself if you give her the chance."

"No, I want to hear it from you. Convince me."

?

"She believes her mother was murdered by Forsaken."

?

?

?

"That's not possible?"

"Believe me, I know--"

"No, Cris. No. You don't know. If she was murdered by Forsaken that would mean there was a point to it. Someone was controlling them, someone ordered them to do it."

"Salome."

"What."

"Had I any notion that her search would lead her to do battle with them, you know that I would not involve you. Yes?"

?

?

?

"Yes?"

"?Yeah. I know."

"I hate them as much as you. Even more so now than before, if you can imagine that."

"What is it exactly that you'd like me to do for this girl? She is a Warlock, isn't she? She's not making that up?"

"Yes, she's a Warlock. No, I've not coached her on anything to say to you."

"You don't know me, Nephilim."

?

?

"I don't want you do anything for my sake. If you decide to help her, it should be for hers. Had I any other name to give her, I would have given it. But you are the only one I know, Salome. And for that, I'm sorry."

Scoff.

"Hear her out. That will be the only thing I ask of you."

"Fine."

?

?

?

"Lenore, huh?"

"Yes."

"You're pretty close now, aren't you?

?

"Closer than I thought I was capable of."

?

"Is she helping you?"

?

?

?

"I see?"

?

?

?

"It took me two months to get nowhere with you. And in two weeks?"

"It's been longer than two weeks."

"My point still stands."

?

"Salome, please?"

?

"You sound exhausted."

"I am."

"Oh, ew!! I didn't think you'd actually admit it!"

Laughter. "Angel's mercy?"

"You laughed."

?

"I did."

"That is different."

"She's healing me, Salome?"

"God help her then."

?

?

"Alright, I guess I'll have to call your newbie back. Should I split my bill between the two of you?"

"If that will make you happy."

?

"You're freaking me out, Cris."

"I'm tired. I don't rightly care what I have to pay to whom at the moment."

"Are you still having nightmares?"

?

?

?

"More so now than ever?"

?

?

"I see."

"You see what?"

"Ahh, the back of my eyelids. Nothing so terribly earth shattering."

?

?

"May I tell you something?"

?

"I guess."

"I've missed you."

?

?

"I've missed your voice. I've wanted to call, but--"

"I'm glad you didn't. I don't miss you all that much."

Snorts.

"But I'm glad you're not dead."

?

?

"Thank you."

"Now I'm really grossed out. Goodbye Cris."

"Bye?"

CLICK.

Crispin

Date: 2013-10-18 01:06 EST
October 17th

"?Hello? Zynnara speaking."

"I've given your case some thought. But before we get into anything, I want to lay down some ground rules."

"Oh? Ah. Alright. What are they?"

"Alright. First of all. You're my client, I'm working for you. You're a Warlock, I'm a Warlock. That's how we're going to treat it. This is business. I'm not doing you a favor because you know Cris. I'm not doing him a favor because he knows you. Sound good?

"Oh, and, in addition to that I'm gonna bill you. That's a given."

"It does. That's all I was hoping for. Thank you." Inhale. "I'm not sure if I'll be able to pay you right away. I'm in the process of getting a job with someome at the moment."

Tap, tap, tap. "I might bill him too. He owes me anyway. Second of all. I don't want to talk about Cris. I don't care if you talk to him. I don't care what he tells you. But I don't want to hear about it. In fact, let's not even mention Nephilim at all. They're bitchy."

Snort. "You could say that? And that works for me. No mentionings, no problems?"

"No mentionings, no problems. Thirdly, I don't want to hear any questions about him either. What our past was like. I don't think you care, but just to keep it from getting too awkward, don't go there. Capisce?"

"Capisce. I'm curious, But it's not killing me. I'll squash my curiousity. Anything else?"

"Like a roach." Tap, tap, tap. "No Nephilim, no familiarity? Nope! I think that's all. So tell me, newbie, what can I do for you?"

"Alright. Uhh?I have no clue where to start. I guess the basics would be best. With magic. I mean."

?

?

"This is gonna take years." Shuffle. "Okay. Let's start simple. What is it that you actually do? Most Warlocks have a signature ability, usually fire. Yours is whatever you did to the knife to blow it up, right?"

"That's what I was told earlier. And yeah, it is. I know that much. It's electricity."

"You get zapped when you're in the shower?"

"?No."

"Lucky. What do you have to do to invoke it?"

"Breathe, and focus. Unless I'm angry or upset in some way. Then it just kind of happens."

"Breathe and focus? You're already that far along?"

"Yeah. I know a little from playing around with it and experimenting when I had the chance."

"Did you ever go through a period where you couldn't control it?"

"When I first used it, and a little bit after that. I was about fourteen the first time I used it."

?

"But now you've gotten to the point where you can will it to life. That's good. That's pretty impressive actually. You sure you didn't get taught any of that?"

"I'm positive. I didn't think there was anything impressive about it."

"Start thinking it. You come from absolute zero for background, you don't know what you're doing. Do you know how easily you could've killed someone?" Chuckles. "That makes my job a little easier. We can skip the whole lesson on control and the importance of it. That's actually pretty basic. You said something about wanting to learn how to create Portals?"

"No, I don't. I'm glad I didn't though. That would have been bad." Sigh. "And yes. It's be nice to get back home from time to time. "

"Miss New York that much?" Laughter. "Don't worry, I'm sure it hasn't changed since the last time you were here. Portals are a bit trickier to get right. We'll save that for later. What about spells? Potions? Have you cast or made any?"

"Nah. But I do have some thing at home that I'd like to get? No?I haven't. But that'd be a good place to start, right?"

"Something at home? Like a personal affect? Hey, what was your address? Could probably swing by on my own and have it sent to you. Though I don't know how I'll manage that. It is a good place to start. Portals are a big spell, but if you don't do it right you'll wind up at your destination in pieces, missing pieces, with pieces inside of pieces. Or you could be shipped to a dimension you haven't heard of. If I wanted to kill you, I'd let you go nuts."

"I don't want to be any trouble. It's a lot of stuff. And It's nothing that's needed urgently. Just clothes, and things of that nature. I have someone here that's helped me out with that so far." Snort. "Well, I'm really, really glad that you don't want to kill me. It's appreciated."

"No trouble, I've got to send out a few things anyway. Books, at least. I'm sure you have access to either a library or something there, but I'd feel more confident if you were reading what I know would actually help.

?

"Don't count on the not killing thing too much." Smiles.

"Alright. My apartment's on Anne Street, small little complex, second floor. The number's thirty two. My room's at the end of the hall. I need a few pairs of pants, and other things for cold weather. And in the other room, my mother's room, there should be a jewerly box on the dresser. Could you grab that as well?" Pause. Sigh. "And I can understand that. I don't think any of the books you'd like for me to read are anywhere in this town.

?

"Well, I haven't gotten to that point yet, right?"

Scratching. "Okay, got it. I'll send somebody over. And, no. You haven't gotten to that point. Don't be hasty. Doing it right is always better than doing it fast. That's why quickies are only good for a few minutes afterward. Let me take care of this. Call me when you get the care package, okay?

?

"And?don't worry about the fee for now. I'll squeeze it out of somebody else."

"Okay. And thank you. A lot. For getting my things, and sending the books over. And not charging me. I'll make sure to call you when I get it."

"You're too nervous. Work on that too. Otherwise I'll start denying you're one of us."

Inhale. "Alright. I'll work on that too."

"Good. Seriously, unclench. I can hear your bowels blocking up from here."

CLICK.

Crispin

Date: 2013-10-21 23:04 EST
October 19th

?

?

?

?

"Thank you for calling one eight-hundred WARLOCK, you've reached Salome Mart?n at a moment of indisposition. If you'd so kindly leave your name, situation and the swiftest way for me to reach you; I will do my best to be in touch before you die. If you do in fact die, please don't haunt me. I will exorcise you from sack to eyeballs. Have a great day."

"?Salome, Hi. I guess you're probably busy, or something akin to that. I'm calling to let you know that I got your books, and my things." Inhale. "I wanted to say thank you as well. So thanks.

"It's good to have my clothes, and my mother's things." Pause. "Um. I didn't see any note or anything?so I was hoping to get a call back from you. Until then, I'll just look through them. I'll look forward to your call!"

CLICK.

Crispin

Date: 2013-10-25 19:49 EST
October 25th

?

?

?

?

"Hello!" Laughter. "You've reached the voicemail of Zynnara. I'm sorry I'm not able to take your call at the moment. My attention has probably been stolen away by a certain Pouty Demon, or I'm busy elsewhere. Leave your name, and a brief message, and I'll get back to you as soon as I possibly can!"

"Heeey, Zynnara. I'm glad you got everything. I just wanted to let you know, contrary to what you've probably been told by somebody we will not be mentioning, I've never actually taught another Warlock before. I had a mentor?but for the most part I, like you, figured it out on my own. Hoped I didn't kill anybody.

"So, this teaching thing is going to be a bit lax. I'll send you things and answer questions if you have them, but you'll have to do the rest. And since you're there and I'm here, that works pretty well, I think.

"You've got my number, gimme a call if you have to.

"Oh, also. How the hell'd you swing having your attention stolen by a Pouty Demon? Please tell me he's hot, at least. Some of the demons I've seen? Whew? Keep that up. In all the literal and metaphorical senses.

"I'll talk to you later."

CLICK.

Crispin

Date: 2013-11-03 21:49 EST
October 29th

?

?

?

?

?Saalomme. What?s up? And you know, a certain somebody didn?t bother telling me anything like that. He?d mentioned that you?d probably be able to help me, and that was it. How ?bout if you ever come over here, we can take turns, chucking things at that hard head of his.? Chuckle. ?By the way, he?s an ass. He makes good points, but he?s still an ass.

?I like that idea. For the teaching thing. It seems simple enough to me. Stuff is sent, I read it, ask questions, get answers, try things out, and hope that I don?t blow the inn to pieces. If I do? It?ll grow back, thankfully. Who ever built this establishment was smart. ?

?At the moment, I don?t have any questions. Most of the things in the spell book that you sent me are pretty understandable. I?ve taken a peek at the potions as well. Those seem easy as well. They?re like recipes.? Inhale. ?I?ve always started a Book of Shadows. Kinda like the one my mother had. I?m working on writing the spells that I think will be most useful and I?ll use a lot in there. Along with any others that catch my interest.?

Laughter. ?It was the demon blood in me that caught his interest, and after that? Things just happened. We?re kinda crazy about each other. And he also drives me crazy. I won?t go into details. Unless you ask. And yeah. He?s hot. Incredibly so. He slides right into the tall, dark, and handsome category! Anyways, before I can start rambling like a teenage girl, I?ll stop taking up space on your voice mail. Thanks!

?Talk to ya later!?

Crispin

Date: 2013-11-06 20:10 EST
October 30th

?

?

?

"Get the **** off my phone, Cris."

"Leena's alive."

?

?

?

?

"I saw her. She's in town."

?

"Your angel girl?

Scoffs.

"Well, that's what she is, Cris. She's an angel, sort of. And she's a girl. What should I call her? Devil boy?"

?

"Salome, please."

"You're sure it's her? This isn't some faerie glamour, some trick, some?something?"

"That is what I thought too, at first. But no, I'm sure. It's her. She's grown."

"I hear that's what time does to you. It makes you grow up."

"Is it possible?"

?

?

"Is what possible?"

"Raising someone from the dead."

"Cris?"

"I do not ask for educational purposes. I just?is it possible? To turn back the event of death?"

?

?

?

"Yes."

Inhale, exhale.

"But they wouldn't be the people you knew, Cris. They wouldn't come back right. Once a soul moves on, that's it. It's where it's supposed to be. So ripping them from wherever they are and putting them back in our plane is like torture.

"How was Leena? Was she how you remembered her?"

?

?

"Not completely. But?in ways, yes."

"Then it's unlikely that she was brought back my necromancy or any other means of resurrection. If that's the case, then she may not have ever died in the first place."

?

?

?

"?Thank you."

Scoffs. "For what?"

"For reassuring me."

Snorts. "I didn't do it for you, Cris. I told you the truth. If it was any different, I would've told you that instead."

"I know. Still?"

?

?

?

"I've thought about it too."

?

"About what??"

"Bringing her back."

?

?

?

"I havent tried."

"Obviously. The Clave would have come down on all of us."

"That's not the only reason I didn't."

?

?

?

?

"I keep thinking? What would it be like to see her again? In?the flesh, and not simply in my own dreams, but nowadays those seem real enough?"

?

?

?

"You might want to stop thinking about that. You'll just hurt yourself worse."

"I'm not entirely sure I can help it."

"I know that you want to."

"You do?"

?

?

"Even you don't like being tortured this much."

Laughter.

Chuckles. "But I'm glad. You were depressed when you came to New York. You've missed Leena for years. Now you don't have to. You can catch up, right?"

"Something like that."

"Maybe she can help you."

?

?

?

"I hope that it works out for you, Cris?"

?

"Do you?"

Scoffs. "Fine, you want to doubt me? I don't. Keep on being all awkward about it."

?

"I'm sorry. It's?been very surreal. To see Leena again. I thought that I never would. And yet?"

"And yet. For what it's worth, I'd rather not see her again either."

?

?

?

"Yeah."

?

?

"Was there anything else?"

"Yes. Erm. Is it possible to send a message to my parents?"

"Your parents? What for?"

"Leena said she'd attempted to get in contact with me for at least a year after it happened, by fire message. I've not received any of them. Were my parents to have received them, they would have told her where I'd gone, but they've not."

"Right. Right, sure Cris. I'll get in contact with them."

"Can you--"

"Call you when I've heard from them? Of course I will."

?

?

"Thank you?"

"No problem. Get some sleep, Cris. Cuddle somebody. You'll feel better."

Chuckles. "Cuddle?"

"Okay, **** somebody, if you want to be all lewd about it."

Laughter. "Angel's mercy? Good night."

Smiles. "You too, Cris."

CLICK.

Crispin

Date: 2013-11-14 03:13 EST
November 12th

?

?

?

"Hello?"

"Good, you're smiling. This will only add to it.

"What?"

"I've been in contact with your parents."

?

?

"Both of them?"

"Both of them."

"Alive??"

"Yes, Cris. Alive."

Exhale.

?

?

?

?

"Thank the Angel?"

"They want to talk to you."

?

"They do??"

"Cris, come on. I thought this would make you happy. Now you sound I just told you you can't bring home a puppy.

"Of course they want to talk to you. You're their son. They haven't seen you in, what? Seven, eight years? You haven't gone back to Idris once since you moved in with us, have you?"

"No."

"Well, maybe now that Leena's alive, you don't have to keep running away from it anymore."

?

?

?

?

"Did you tell them anything?"

"What could I tell them? Other than that you're still alive."

?

?

"And it wasn't easy to dodge around the fact that I knew how to get a hold of you, and they knew it too. Your dad's a hardass, but your mom's worse."

?

"That was not always the case?"

"She probably manned up."

"What else did--"

"Do you really want me to spoil any of this stuff?"

?

?

"I got their contact information for you. I know you haven't legitimately quit the Clave. The mere fact that you've been around demons and haven't killed them is grounds for punishment, isn't it?"

?

?

?

?

"I thought so."

?

"I'll send you their information. You can contact them if you want to. It's out of my hands now, though. Got it?"

?

"I do. ?Thank you, Salome."

"I'd want to say Anytime, but I really don't mean it."

"Right."

"Cris?"

"Yeah?"

?

?

?

"Anytime."

Smiles. "You're brilliant."

Scoffs. "Love you too."

CLICK.

Crispin

Date: 2013-11-19 21:33 EST
November 18th

?

?

?

?

"This is Cris. I'll call you back shortly."

"Whoa, an actual voicemail greeting. Look at you, moving up in the world.

"But that's not why I called. I've been digging through my library to replace a few books for Zynn and I found some things. First off, I found your Codex. You know, the one you came to New York with? It's a little dusty and there's a few stains I don't get, but it's otherwise functional. I don't want it. I'm sure you don't either, but I promise you I don't want it more than you don't want it.

"And I found some pictures."

?

"I've got the?um?the batches from our trip to Tuscon. Vegas. The summer we all spent in Montana. I won't be making copies, I'm going to send you the originals. I'm pretty sure you don't want them either but?it might be good to have them. Remember her different.

"And I found ones of Leena. I'm, um?I'm sorry. For what I did, with the Portal."

?

?

?

"I've never looked through any of these before. Not even when I could. Just the one you had on your nightstand. You look the same, you know? But?cuter."

Sniff.

"Um. So. Yeah. I'm?going to send Zynn a few things, and I'll be sending these to you. You can do whatever you want with them. They'll probably already be there by the time you get this.

"I'd keep the ones of Leena.

"You were happy. I can tell."

?

?

?

"You must have changed when she died.

"You can still change back, Cris?"

CLICK.

Crispin

Date: 2013-12-17 16:08 EST
December 17

?

?

?

?

"Thiiiiis is Salome. Remember, all your snowing mistletoe and Faerie tear eggnog recipes are fifty percent of."

"Salome."

"Cris! Well, well, well. You called for the eggnog, didn't you?"

Chuckles. "No. How are you?"

"I'm fine, fine. Making a tidy sum this season. You know, for a failing economy, these mundanes fling their money around pretty wildly.

"What about you? You sound off. More than usual."

?

"Gee, thanks."

"You do."

"I know."

"Aaand?"

"It's nothing im---"

"Smoking? ? Ha, I thought so."

"Salome, may I ask a favor?"

"Where's Lenore, shouldn't she be the one you're asking for those kind of favors?"

"Salome, please."

?

Sigh. "Alright, alright fine. What is it?"

?

"Will you stay on the line with me? We do not have to speak. I just---complete solitude is not the best idea, at the moment."

?

?

?

"What do you mean, complete solitude. Where's---?"

?

?

?

?

"I see. Okay, Cris. I'll stay."

?

?

?

"Thank you."

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

Crispin

Date: 2014-01-02 05:42 EST
January 1st

?

?

?

?

"Hey. Nephilim. Happy New Year.

"Please don't drunk dial me. That'll creep me out.

"Also, I don't know what you said, but you made your mom apologize profusely for your dad. Which was kind of cute.

"Bye."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-01-22 04:17 EST
January 19th

?

?

?

"Yeeeelloooow, this is your friendly neighborhood Child of Lilith, at your service~ Please consult my list of services prior to making your request. What can I do for you?"

"It's me."

?

"Well, don't you just bring down the conversation when you open your mouth. What's wrong, Cris? Not getting enough nooky?"

Exhale. "Salome, stop. I'm in the mood for none of that."

"That's funny. Whenever I told you I wasn't in the mood for something, all I got was coerced, or eyerolled at, or flipped off, or---"

"I'm serious."

"So am I."

?

?

?

"Oh, fine. You're scowling so hard, I can hear it. What happened?"

"Lenore killed someone."

"Is that a big deal? You've killed lots of people."

"I know."

"Lots of un-people too, but more people."

"It was her cousin. She said that he was on the verge of killing her. He murdered our cat in front of her."

"Wait, wait, wait. Moment to make fun of that, please."

"The moment is over."

"Why did this cousin of hers want to kill her?

"She claims that it was because he was culling the weakness of their clan. She's---had an awful childhood. For the first eight years of her life, things were seemingly fine, though restricted. Her parents sounded rather conservative, the way she spoke of them. It's either that, or there's very little of her life with them that she'd like to remember.

"She began developing her abilities roughly around that age, however, and it was not exactly accepted in her household."

?

?

"They abused her?"

"Yes."

"How badly?"

"Oh, Angel's mercy, I don't ask her things like that?"

"I suppose not. But that still doesn't answer my question."

Exhale. "She'd relatives she was never told about. Her father had a brother and his own wife and child. A son, her cousin. From what I understand, that branch of their family had all developed their own abilities in the open and were rather nurturing to the boy. Lenore's parents' seeming dislike for the supernatural, her father's blatant hatred for his own abilities, turned them both into---monsters.

"Her cousin, Andrew, managed to locate her in town and had begun attempting to forge a sort of relationship with her, though now that seems to all have been under false pretenses. To gauge her abilities, her constitution and her potential use. Clearly, he did not like what he saw, and?"

"And he tried to kill her."

"Yes."

"Well that sounds pleasant."

?

?

"She feel guilty about it?"

"I don't know? I think---perhaps? She's told me that she doesn't, but I don't believe it's in her nature not to. Even were he attempting to kill her."

Scoff.

?

?

?

"There's more."

"Alright."

"I came upon her afterward, surrounded by the bloody bodies of her cousin and our cat. At first I thought her dead but she responded to me. When she realized what she'd done, she panicked and shifted. Not into an animal or anything resembling, but?me."

"I thought you said she could only shift into animals?"

"That is what I said."

"Well, that's different?"

?

"It took me nearly half an hour to calm her enough to where she was able to change back."

"And all that time she was you? How good was this shift? And when did all this happen?"

"Last night---"

"Jesus."

"And it was perfect."

?

?

"You're---you're both okay, right?"

"If you count neither one of our emotional states, yes."

"Where is Lenore now?"

"Trying her best to sleep, but I don't think it's working."

?

"There's lore all over about shapeshifters. I'm not sure what kind she falls under, but it seems way too coincidental that she just happens to get a new ability after she killed someone. She's never killed anyone before?"

"You ask that like I would know."

"Well, you've been seeing her for, what---a few months now? Why wouldn't you? Don't you think that's something important to know? Like Oh, by the way, I make it a habit of killing people."

Sigh. "If there are things in her past that she wishes to keep to herself, that's her prerogative. The Angel knows I've told her very little of my own. And there are certain things I never plan to. I will afford her the same courtesy."

"Secrets, secrets. That's how it starts, Cris."

"Oh, Angel's mercy."

"Angel nothing. But you're right. You're right. If she's that broken up about killing one person, I doubt she's making a habit out of it."

?

?

"How are you holding up?"

"I'm?"

"If you say fine, I'll hang up on you."

"I don't know how I'm holding up. I'm? His death does not bother me. Apart from the absurd way he attempted to piss a circle about Lenore under the pretense that I, as a Nephilim was not good enough for her, he simply---was a moron. He treated her with nothing but contempt and condescension while at the same time preached his values and plans for her as part of the family."

"You sure he wasn't a Nephilim?"

?

?

"Did you lose your brain when you fell out of bed this morning?

"Did you lose yours? All I'm saying is that---well, barring the moron part---you could have gotten along if he didn't want to kill your girlfriend."

"Gee, I wonder what exactly kept us from becoming chummy."

Laughter. "You think that's what's bothering you? That you were a bit alike and he happened to be something you didn't want to be?"

"No, by the Angel. No. Andrew has nothing to do with it at all."

"No?"

"No."

"Then?"

?

?

"I can't?get it out of my head. When she changed into me, I swear to you, for a moment I thought myself looking straight into a mirror. She'd my face, she'd my voice. Everything about me to the last detail copied onto a body that was not mine."

?

?

"And she was terrified? And I knew that beneath my skin it was truly her, but I could not stop myself thinking that I was the one in the throes of panic."

?

?

"Well, that's rather selfish."

"I know that. And that is why it bothers me. The fact that Lenore killed her cousin. Nicholas, the cat was murdered. None of that touches me as deeply as listening to myself scream in pain and fear, and I can't---Salome, I can't listen to that again."

?

?

"How could you?? It's---it's so pathetic."

"Isn't it? What else could I do? Who else did you have?"

Sigh.

"It's perplexing, isn't it? We don't see anything we hate in ourselves, even when we look in the mirror. But to see it in someone else? That's when it starts to become sickening.

"You got a real, long, good look at yourself. Didn't you, Crispin?"

"?Yes."

"And what did you think?"

?

?

"I wondered how I've survived until now."

"You're not the only one."

?

?

?

?

"Get some rest, Cris. You probably shouldn't be away from Lenore right now, anyway. Whatever you saw and whatever you think you are, that's what she needs. Got it?"

"Salome?"

"What?"

?

?

?

"Nothing. I'm sorry."

"I'm not. I'm proud of you, Cris. Really."

"You sound like---"

"Yes, well, that's because some Nephilim decided to bring my epic cheer down. Did I say selfish already? I can't remember. Seeeelfish."

Snorts. "Good night?"

"Bye, Cris."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-02-09 19:45 EST
January 26th

?

?

?

?

"Salome, it's Cris. I know that it's been some time since we've last spoke, and the first thing I do is call and ask you to do something for me.

"Things here have?calmed down. They've not completely smoothed themselves out, but they're better.

"This thing I ask is not for me, but for Lenore. Ever since her cousin?s death, she's been attempting to research the origin of her abilities but she's not been having much luck. To date, she's only shifted into Andrew and myself, but as you know this was not an ability she previously had. She?s only been able to come across texts detailing things she already knows and an overabundance of information on Werewolves.

?I?ve spoken to her at length about this and have compiled a list of symptoms of Change, duration, side effects---anything I thought to be helpful. Of the three of us, you?ve always been the most skilled at this sort of thing. I would not ask if I did not know you would succeed, Salome.

?Her curiosity is passing, as is mine, but I know that the lack of answers weighs heavily on her mind, and there?s little that I can tell her with the knowledge I possess. Anything that you could find would be helpful, even if it?s to point me in the right direction.

?Think about it. Please.

?I?ll?be here.?

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-02-11 04:26 EST
February 10th

?

?

"? ? Damnation. ? Hello."

"You okay there?"

"Salome? Yes. I'm fine."

"Because you sounded like you fell on your face."

"Almost."

"Almost? Well ****"

Chuckles. "Were you hoping different?"

"You know me better than that."

"Wanted. Not hoped. Yes?"

"Tell him what he's won~"

?

"So. How are you?"

?

"I'm fine. Thank you. Why do you ask?"

"Ouch. You mean I can't ask how you are? When we haven't spoken to each other in nearly a month?"

"?No, of course you can. It's just---"

"Just what?"

"It's just that you don't."

?

"Well, I am now. Is that a problem?"

"No."

"Because if it's a problem, I can just call you a pig and hang up."

"Angel's mercy, it's no problem. I'm touched. Thank you. But I'm fine."

"Smoking?"

"Not as heavily."

"Really?"

"Yes. In fact, it's been a while since I've smoked at all. I've lit one, here and there, but that doesn't count."

"It does too."

"And how is that?"

"Second hand smoke, buddy. Causes more than fifty thousand deaths a year. Don't you read the news?"

?

?

"The news."

"The news."

"Mundane news."

"Hey, it applies to all of us."

"And yet you continue to live in New York."

?

?

"Tch. Someone has to."

?

?

?

"Salome?"

?

"What?"

"You're stalling. Aren't you?"

?

?

?

"No."

Exhale. "How bad is it?"

?

"That depends."

"On?"

"On whether or not you believe stories and legends."

?

"I see."

"It only took me so long to get back to you because I wanted to make sure that what I found was real. True. All that. Twice."

"And?"

"I've got a source that's met one before, and when I started describing the list Lenore gave you, they were convinced. She's a Skinwalker, Cris."

"Skinwalker?"

"Most of what I was able to dig up were Native American legends, the majority of which were Navajo. They say that a Skinwalker is a Shapeshifter that has gained the ability to assume a human form. They get this ability by killing another member of their family who is also a Shifter---"

"Andrew?"

"Right. The symptoms she gave you seemed to match up completely with this. Unconsciousness, vomiting blood, fevers, sweating, anxiety. They're all the result of staying in another human form for too long.

"Silver can kill them, so keep your special pointy things away from her. You know. Unless you have no choice."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing. Nothing, I'm just saying. She's not your cute little girl, anymore. She's a creature. Like a vampire, or a werewolf, or---"

"A Warlock?"

"Yes, smartass, a Warlock. She has the potential to be dangerous. Handfuls of legends talk about their taste for the hearts of their victims and the curses they can put on unsuspecting victims. They use all the usual paraphernalia. Hair, skin, fingernails, et cetera. Some even believe that looking them in the eyes for too long will cause illness."

Scoff.

"Yes, yes, I'm sure you do all sorts of moon eyes at each other. How do you think she'll take this?"

"I?I don't know. I suppose it would give her comfort to know why these abilities manifested now as opposed to previously. I thought it was too much of a coincidence that they appeared immediately after Andrew's death."

"I suppose it would be the same thing as dating any Downworlder. And I guess you're an expert in that."

"The both of us know that between the three of you, Bianca was the most dangerous."

"Yeah."

"And I never felt anything but safe in her presence."

"Except when it mattered."

"You speak like you're not of the same as she was."

"I may be a Warlock, but I'm nothing like she was."

"Neither is Lenore."

Sigh. "You know, Cris, for your sake?I really hope not. I don't think you could survive losing anyone else.

?

?

?

"Just. Be careful. Be smart. I'm not saying that she is dangerous. She could be the sweetest thing since double fudge ice cream. But there's potential there now. And the way that you talked about it, that potential isn't entirely under her control. It might be something that can never be. Like a compulsion."

"I'm not concerned."

"I know you're not."

"But you are."

?

?

?

"Not for the reasons you think."

?

?

"Thank you."

?

?

?

"Was there anything else?"

"About three-fourths of these writings really like to drive the point home that Skinkwalkers run around naked. So if she starts developing a hatred for clothes, don't worry about it. It's completely normal."

Laughter. "I'll keep an eye out for that."

Chuckles.

?

"Thank you for looking into this for me. Given the same amount of time, I'd still be lost in a fortress of books that I'd rather burn than read."

"No problem. You really don't know how to tell her?"

"Well, it's not exactly---bad news. It just might be a bit startling."

"Like the life of any Downworlder. Good luck with that, Cris."

Scoffs. "Thanks."

?

?

"You're welcome. Hey, it---it was nice. Hearing from you, that is."

"Do you recant your earlier order for me to have a nice life without you in it?"

"Maybe just the last half. Don't get squishy on me, Nephilim."

"Don't worry. I'm as hard as stone."

"Ew."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-02-11 04:56 EST
February 11th

?

?

?

?

"This is Cri---"

CLICK

?

?

?

?

"This is---"

CLICK

?

?

?

?

"Cris! Damn it, the one time you don't pick up your phone. Look, I forgot to tell you something that I found, and it's partially your fault for bringing up your hardness. I mean, come on. Who says that?

"Anyway. The legends detailing all her symptoms, pretty accurately I might add, say that subsequent Shifting into human bodies wreaks havoc on the Skinwalker in question, and it could be fatal.

"I don't know why it's any different than Shifting into an animal, I'll look into that, but whatever you do, don't let her keep doing it unless it's unavoidable. Think of it like the blood lust of a vampire, if you have to. Help her control it, or she'll wind up in a world of pain.

"I'll get back to you soon. Just---if it starts becoming too painful an act for her, stop her. Do whatever you have to.

"Bye."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-02-17 19:09 EST
February 17th

?

?

?

"Helllllllllo, 1-800-WARLOCK~"

?

?

"Hello?"

?

"I? I'm sorry. I shouldn't have called."

"Cris? What's wrong, you sou---"

"Nothing. Nothing's wrong. I'm, ahm---just tired. Like always. I promise."

?

"Cris?"

"Salome. Really. Don't concern yourself over something that does not exist. I'll talk to you later. Yes?"

"Sure."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-03-17 02:51 EST
March 10th

?

?

"Hello."

"WHERE THE **** HAVE YOU BEEN!?"

?

?

"Ouch."

"Oh. I'm sorry. Did I hurt your sensitive ears? Here I thought you were deaf. Because at least then I would have had an explanation as to why you haven't picked up your GODDAMN PHONE!!!!"

"Enough! Enough, what in the Angel's name is all this about? I've received none of yo---"

"Don't you dare, Cris. Don't you dare feed me some excuse about how you didn't get any of my calls. I bought that phone for you just like I bought all of ours. And I worked on it, specifically, so that on the off chance that any of us were separated, we could still be in contact with each other.

"You turned the ****ing thing off. Didn't you? Didn't you."

?

?

?

"Tch. Nice. You know---Nevermind."

?

"Salome?"

"Why didn't you tell me there were Faeries there?"

"I?what?"

"Faeries. Faeries. ****ing Faeries. Those things that were dogging you because you killed two of their people!!!"

?

?

"Why do you think I kicked you out of New York in the first place? Why do you think I was hoping you wouldn't be able to get in contact with me? Why, Cris. Tell me why you think that is.

"You can't, can you? You can't, because you were so tied up in your depression over Bianca that you saw nothing. Nothing."

?

?

"They're immortal, Cris. They've got all the time in the world to wait and plan and figure out how best to get even."

Exhale. "Has something happened??"

"Kael. He left a---let's just say, a present, for me."

"Kael?"

?

"Cris. I can't---I can't help you there. They've known ever since last year that I've helped you escape them and they've been biding their time until they could figure out where."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Would you have given a ****? I've seen you grieve once, Cris. I thought I knew what to expect, but losing Bianca nearly killed you. It nearly killed me.

"I'm not as strong as she was, Cris. I never will be. If they come here?"

"They've not yet discovered where I am?"

"The rumor is that they've seen glimpses of you. A dark Shadowhunter that has a taste for Downworld. That could be anyone, but---"

"What was this present you mentioned?"

"Ah? Uh, a stained glass leaf. Green glass, Faerie worked silver. Fit in the palm of my hand."

?

?

?

"That means something. Doesn't it?"

?

?

"Yes."

"I see?"

"Whatever happens---I'll take care of it. They are looking now for a broken man that would never dare to pick up his blades again. Who, the last time they laid eyes upon him, was half drunk out of his mind."

"And what, you'll be armed and sober and they'll pick up their skirts and run?"

"I'm not concerned."

?

?

"No. You never were."

Snort.

"They won't come at you how you're expecting them to, Cris. They won't fight you. They'll destroy you from the inside out while leaving your body perfect."

?

"How kind of you to offer your confidence."

"You're ugly when you're cocky, Nephilim."

?

?

"So? Other than that. How's your life been? How's Lenore?"

?

?

"It's been---complicated."

"?Uh huh. Simplify it?"

"I can't. But? Lenore is---she seems to be doing very well."

"Seems to be? Shouldn't that be something you know for sure?"

?

?

"It's not something I'm privy to, any longer."

?

?

?

"What happened?"

"Salome, please. I don't want to talk about it."

?

?

"All right?"

"Am I still able to call you, or do you think---"

"So far, I haven't found any Faerie government taps on my phone, no. But I'd be careful. Just in case."

"Yes. I'll---let you know if something else happens here."

"Same here."

?

"Thank you."

?

"Cris?"

"Yes?"

"I love you. You know that, don't you?"

?

?

"Yes. I know that."

"Good. Don't---don't forget that. Don't ever think I don't. Okay? No matter what's happened, or what happens."

?

?

"Okay. Take care."

?

"You too."

?

?

?

?

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-03-20 03:28 EST
March 19th

?

?

?

"Eight-hundred WARLOCK, yadda yadda. What?"

"You certainly know how to make your customers feel special and taken care of."

"Oh, Cris? But you're your own kind of special that doesn't need coddling and petting and stroking."

"Are you certain of that?"

"Oh, ew. It's too late for that kind of nasty."

"You know, some would disagree with you. Late is usually the hour for that sort of thing."

"Are you trying to convince me to get frisky, Nephilim?"

Snort. "I'm trying to see if there is any way to liven your voice. You sound two steps away from mindnumbing fatigue."

"Yes, well. Work and dodging Faeries can do that to you."

?

"Has---"

"No. No, nothing's happened. Not yet. I didn't mean it like that. But I do have to go out in the world, you know. And they live here too, unfortunately. Kael has his usual posse, but who knows if he's gotten a few more to join his cause. I'd rather not deal with any of them if I can help it."

?

?

"Salome, I'm sorry."

"Cris. Darling. Honey, dearest. Shut up. It's too late for those kinds of apologies and I'm too tired to be angry with you anymore. You did what you did, for whatever reason you did it. And I knew it was going to bite us in the a*s after B'lana." Sigh. "But then there was Finn."

?

?

?

"B'lana was?an accident."

"I don't want to know, Cris. The less I know, the better, and I already know much more than I want to. You came to me at your lowest too."

?

?

"Yeah."

?

?

"I'm holding down the fort, Cris. But---thanks for calling. It's kinda sweet of you."

"I've been drinking."

"Ah. That explains it. All those mornings you were throwing up your insides. Reeeaaal sexy."

Chuckle.

"I'll call you if something changes. Get back to your---whatever."

?

?

"Good night, Salome."

"Night, Cris."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-03-22 05:40 EST
March 20th

?

?

?

?

"Hello. Salome. Has something---"

"Hi, Cris. How are you?"

?

?

"I'm?fine. I suppose."

"That's good. ? What---what are you doing tonight?"

?

"Salome, what's going on?"

"I think you should try this place. I've heard rumors about it. But I never knew where it was. Turns out that it's in Rhy'Din City. Isn't that great?"

?

?

"I-It's called Warp. They say it has everything. Bar, dancing. Entertainment. It's not exactly in the?the worst part of town, but even if it was, a Shadowhunter could handle himself. Right?"

?

?

"Right."

?

?

"They have a special this week. Temptation Thursdays. Your first hour is free. But only until midnight."

?

?

?

?

"I've less than four hours left, then. I should get moving, shouldn't I?"

"Cris, you don't have to do this!!! You know this is a trap, this Warp thing's probably not even real!!!!!"

Chuckle. "Then I guess I'll find that out, won't I?"

"? ? Heheh. I suppose! O-one more thing! Weapons?weapons aren't allowed to customers. They---they want you to have a fun, d-danger free?time. Unless that's what you're into.

"If you bring your own party favor, you don't even have to pay the cover charge."

"Thank you, Salome."

?

?

Sniff. "You're welcome. Have fun, Cris."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-03-22 05:46 EST
Later

?

"CRIS? CRIS---Cris answer me, you ****ing idiot, why would you do this!? Why would you let them do this to you!? Are you dead?"

"Because he's ****ing ridiculous."

"You're damn right he---who the hell is this? Who the hell are you? You don't sound like Haven. And you didn't answer my question."

"It doesn't matter. Are they gone?"

?

?

?

"Yeah. They left. They left after Kael got the message they were finished. I h-heard the whole---goddamned thing. ? You. You stopped them, didn't you? You're going to help him? She---they really didn't---can I---can he even talk?"

"Good."

?

?

?

?

"No, he's not talking."

"He's---what do you mean he's not talking?

"They didn't? Oh my---I told," BANG, "him not to go. I told him it was a trap. For all he ****ing knew, they were going to kill me ANYWAY. CRIS, IF YOU ARE NOT DEAD, I'LL KILL YOU MYSELF."

?

?

"He's going to be fine."

?

?

"He's going to be fine. ? Fine."

?

?

"Who are you? ? You're not freaking out. You're at that disgusting club, for one thing. Do you know what they did to him? Do you even know how to help him?"

?

?

?

?

"He's going--"

CRACK

?

?

"Hey. HEY!!!! WHAT THE HELL'S GOING ON!!!? DID YOU JUST ****ING HANG UP ME!?"

?

?

?

"? ? ? Cris??"

?

?

?

?

"Please pick up the goddamned phone?"

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

(Thank you, Wild Card!)

Crispin

Date: 2014-03-24 20:36 EST
Early, March 21st

?

"Cris? CRIS?!"

"Yes. Yes, it's me."

?

?

"Oh, God. Oh, my God?" Sniff, exhale. "And this is really you? This isn't that Haven **** or Kael, or---"

"Yes, it really is me."

?

?

"Oh? Thank God? How---are you alright? Really, alright?"

"I am really alright."

"Cris, why? Why?? Why did you go, you knew what they were going to do, you knew!!! You should've---"

"What else could I do??"

"Anything. You could have done anything else, Cris. What if you were really alone? What if you couldn't get out? You'd really let me live with that? Hearing everything they did? Knowing that you let them. Cris, I know I've given you **** after Bianca, but you didn't have anything to prove to me. You didn't? You didn't have to do this?"

"I forgive you. Does that make you feel better?"

"No. Why would it?"

"It will."

?

Sigh. "You're goddamned lucky, you know that? You could have died tonight. I wouldn't have gotten to kill you for it."

Snort. "Yeah, I know that. I'm starting to appreciate it."

"God. If I wasn't immortal, I'd be scared of keeling over dead after all of this. Who was that on the phone anyway? Who helped you?"

"That was Leena."

?

?

?

?

"Your Angel girl?"

?

"Yes, my Angel girl."

?

?

"She sounded?severe. And short. Almost b*tchy. But who doesn't with Faeries?"

"She's not like that with me."

"Uh huh. ? Well. I'm---I'm glad she's with you. I don't know her, but I could hear it. She cares about you, Cris. She kept chanting about how you were going to be fine and---"

?

?

"Look, I'm going to go."

"Go? What for, where are you going?"

"To clean up."

"Oh, God. Ew."

Scoff. "You asked. I will call you later."

"You will?? Do you promise?"

"Yes, I promise."

"Swear it. Swear it to me, swear on the Angel."

"I swear on the Angel I will call you, for ****'s sake."

"?Really?"

"Yes."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-04-05 05:13 EST
March 21st

?

?

Crash, click. "Cris?"

"Hi."

"?Are you---smiling?"

?

?

"Erm. ? No. No. I'm sorry."

"You are. You are, you're smiling. I can hear your giddy cross-realm. Something happened with Leena, didn't it?"

?

?

?

?

"Wanna hear a secret?"

"I suppose?"

"That silent thing you do when someone asks you a question you don't want to answer? That's a louder answer than an actual answer."

Exhale. "I guess you're right."

"Of course I am. It's cute that you'd even think otherwise. So. What happened?"

"Oh, by the Angel, Salome?"

"That good, huh?"

Snort.

"Did she rock your world? Your Angel girl make you wanna Fall?"

Chuckles.

"Wow. Listen to that laugh."

?

?

?

"I didn't think I'd hear it again."
"She's in the shower."

"What?"
"What?"

?

?

"Nothing."

?

?

?

"Cris?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry."

?

?

"I know you are. But would you like to know a secret, as well?"

Sniff. "What?"

"I don't blame you for any of it."

"Oh, Cris, don't---"

"Salome, I mean that."

Exhale.

"All you've ever done is love me. Yes?"

"Yeah?"

"Ever since I was seventeen, all you've ever done is love me. And I don't think I've ever thanked you for that. Or told you how much that meant to me. You've saved my life more times than I can recall. Literally. If you had not done that, I would not be where I am now. And I wouldn't---"

"You wouldn't have been reunited with Leena."

?

?

"Yes. Actually?"

?

?

?

"Salome? I had to do it. They had you. What else could I do? Do you not understand that it pains me to know, for certain, that you believe I care nothing about you?"

?

?

?

?

"How long have they been terrorizing you?"

?

?

"Since four days after you left."

"Have they hurt you?"

"Cris---"

"Have they?"

?

?

"Not physically. Not until last night. You know faeries. They like to play games. Psych you out, steal your stuff, make you see things that aren't there. Mess with your head."

"And you never planned on telling me."

"You know what else I never planned on? You, ending up in a faerie skank hole. Or you, ending up at a party thrown by faeries. I mean, seriously, Cris. Seriously."

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"You know what, Cris, I'm equally mortified and fascinated by how they managed to grapple a hold of you."

"Warp was an accident."

"Like B'lana was an accident?"

?

?

"A different sort of accident. But that is irrelevant. There were no secrets between siblings. B'lana shared everything with Kael and vice versa. That is the only way he would know how to maneuver he way he did."

"You know that fetish of yours is a real pain in the a*s."

?

?

?

?

"Likewise---the party was an accident. But that was?" Sigh. "It was my fault, for not seeing through it. That was Haven. She wore a guise."

"Leena?"

"Bianca."

?

?

?

"Oh, Cris?"

"I know. I know. I know everything that you are about to say and---it did not affect me as much or in the way that you'd think it would. I was startled when I saw her. But I admit I did not see her for very long. She rushed past me, and I followed her. I had to be sure that what I was seeing was not real.

"There's been some sort of unnatural phenomena occuring here, off and on. Alternate realities crossing paths with this one. I've met the cosmic doubles of at least three people I've come to know here. And Salome, if there was a chance that that was her?"

?

?

"I get it. I don't like it, but I get it."

"Leena was there."

?

?

"Leena was where?"

"Both places. Both times. Warp and the party."

"Before or after you got there?"

"Before, I'm assuming."

"Um. Why?"

"Warp was?business. And the party---she said something about being a ***** to a friend of hers. I confess that I did not care very much?"

"No, you wouldn't. You know, that could be grounds for stalking."

"Oh, Angel's mercy I did not follow her. To either place."

"So you just happened to run into each other?"

?

?

?

"Cris, I'm not?I'm not trying to sound like this on purpose."

"No. You're just succeeding very well. It does not matter how we found each other, Salome, it just matters that we did. I do not regret it. I didn't regret it then, and I don't regret it now."

"I didn't say you did."

"No. But I know you well enough to know that you wish I did."

?

?

?

"I have to go. The pizza's here, and? E-erm?wow. Uh. Bye."

"?Bye, Cris."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-04-19 05:26 EST
April 19th

?

?

?

"Ooooooone eight-hundred WARLOCK, where all your Rotten Egg Easter baskets are always forty percent off, how can I help you?"

"Still, with the baskets?"

"Some mundanes like to have fun. They're not all fuddy duddies."

?

"You know, for as long as I've been alive, I've never figured out who coined that phrase. I think I'd like to give them a chemical peel. With acid."

"That sounds comfortable?"

"Think about how smooth their skin would be."

"Where?"

"Don't think about too much, dear, you'll get a complex."

Snort.

"So."

"So."

?

?

"Cris, I---"

"I know. I know. I didn't mean it either. I just? Have you ever before been able to experience something you've only dreamed about?"

"I can imagine."

?

?

"It's just---very rare for me, Salome. And I wouldn't let anything tarnish that. Not even you. But?I didn't have to behave the way I did."

?

?

"Truce?"

"I'd like that."

"Me too."

?

?

?

"So. How was she?"

"Oh, for the Angel's ****ing sake."

Laughter. "Ahhhhh, that'll never get old."

"You don't truly want me to talk about it, do you?"

"Do you want to?"

?

?

"What's going on with you two, anyway? I mean---she has to know how you feel about her. You're not exactly subtle."

"I don't know how to answer that. Actually."

"Weeeeell, are you together?"

?

?

"You told her, didn't you?"

"We don't exactly---talk very much. Or long."

"Nice."

"Oh, n---well, yes, but, not just because of that."

"Mmmmmmhm."

?

Exale. "It's complicated."

"That's an excuse."

"It's the truth."

"It's still an excuse."

"I don't want to think about it, Salome. Alright? I don't. It takes a great deal of my willpower already not to. Not to hope for something, not to want more than what I have. What I deserve."

"Don't tell me that you don't think you deserve her?"

?

?

"Look, Cris, if she was worth abandoning the relationship you had, then you'd better start figuring out just what it is you're doing."

?

?

"I know."

"What do you think is going to happen?"

"I'll lose her. Again."

?

?

?

"Cris?"

"I have her now, more than I did then. In a physical sense, at least. In every other way, it is---much the same as it was. She has lived a life that I could only guess at, and I have done the same. But she is not so different that I can't still feel as if I know her."

?

?

?

"That's dangerous, you know."

"I do."

?

?

"And if I think about all of that?what it all means. If I question it more than I simply---experience it. What the hell do I care how it happened, just that it did. And that it does?"

?

?

"I know what it means. It means that for once, I don't regret surviving the Mortal War."

"Crispin."

"What? You wanted the truth from me, you wanted me to speak. And so I am speaking. By the time Valentine unleashed his army upon us. By the time Downworlders were called to Idris, even, she was already gone. I survived that war only to be told afterward that she'd been killed. Away from me.

"I don't understand how I was able to live through the week and a half it took me to make the decision to move to New York. But there are times, Salome, that I've regretted it so much that I wished the strength to end my own life."

"Cris, stop it."

?

?

?

?

?

"Is this what you called here for? To tell me that you'd rather have died and that wished you'd never met us? Never lived with us, or done anything with us? You know, if you would have offed yourself, you would've broken your little angel girl's heart when she finally figured it out."

?

?

?

"?That's not why I called."

Sniff. "Then what do you want, Cris, because you've managed, once again, to ruin a perfectly fine day."

"I'm coming back."

"What do you mean you're coming back?"

"To New York. In a few days, I'm coming back. I've never seen her grave. I'd like to. And I'd like to see---"

"Don't say it."

?

?

?

"Fine. Do whatever you want. I guess it won't do any good to remind you that Kael and Haven are here and not there, but you don't give a **** about that, do you? Maybe they'll get the upper hand on you again, and we'll see just how much you want to live."

"Sal---"

"Do me a favor. Don't stop by. Just do your thing, and go home. I don't want you here."

?

?

?

"And I'm not faking it, this time."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-06-17 20:05 EST
June 17th

"Cris? Hey. It's been a while since---well, anything, I suppose. Zynnara called me a few days ago asking for some more books and ideas. She got me thinking about you, probably more than I should.

"You know. I didn't really---I mean, we talked about all that, so it's okay. But I mean it. Cris. You looked good. You looked alive, and like you wanted to be alive.

?

"This wasn't supposed to be sappy. I was supposed to just tell you that you're old. I remember being twenty-five. I feel better about you making it to twenty-six.

"I'll send a goody basket in a few days. I'm still trying to put it together. But until then, have this. Archimedes got all dressed up because he misses you.

?

?

"He doesn't. But lookit that haaaaaat!

"Happy birthday, Cris. Mwah."

CLICK

<attached img>

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w615/crispinashwood/hat_zpsf3d1ec44.jpg

Crispin

Date: 2014-06-23 07:06 EST
June 20th

?

?

?

?

"Well hell, Nephilim. I don't know where you are, but I suppose you're doing something. Which is weird for you. You're never busy.

"But you're always weird.

"You should have gotten the care package by now. I don't want to spoil it for you in case you haven't, but let me tell you, it's some of my best work yet.

"Enjoy.

"Happy birthday, Cris."

CLICK

Three boxes sat upon the bed of Cris's Sunny Side, guest house room. Tied to the top box, a letter folded in fourths, his full name gliding across the parchment in an elegant hand.

It read:

My dearest son,

Today, you turn twenty-five. How I imagined that I would be able to see you on this day, and these days past, but the gift of the knowledge that you let live sustains me. Sustains us both.

Your Warlock friend was exceptionally helpful in picking out these items for you, ensuring I understand that you, apparently, looked like you were "walking about in rags." I hope you will then find use in these articles.

Included, as well, the family ring that you left behind. With no exact location to send it to, we had no way of making sure it made it into your hands safely.

Know then that this ring respresents your rightful place within the Ashwood family. The strength of Yggdrasil, the World Tree, the wood of which is said to be made of ash, is within you, my son. And it will always be so. Never again forget this.

We love you, Crispin. And we are so very proud of how far you have come. We will continue to be as long as the both of us are able.

May the Angel's eyes watch you, may His hand guide you, may His wings protect you from harm.

Happy birthday, darling.

Mother, Father

http://betsyjeanskitschen.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/box.jpg

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w615/crispinashwood/Closet/pants_zps9bfe71e9.jpg

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w615/crispinashwood/Closet/coat_zps49d5a71d.jpg

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w615/crispinashwood/Closet/boots_zpsd42213ec.jpg

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w615/crispinashwood/Closet/ring_zpsee52ee2e.jpg

Crispin

Date: 2014-07-11 03:19 EST
July 6th

?

?

?

"Salome. To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"It's a pleasure now, to talk to me?"

"Nine times out of ten?no."

"Aren't you sweet. I've taken pictures of you hurling up an enchilada, Nephilim. Remember that."

"I try not to."

"Video too."

?

"It's real sexy when you groan afterward and put your face on the toilet seat."

"Yes, yes."

"With that chunk of half digested beef on your cheek."

"Are you finished?"

"I'm sure Leena would love to see it."

Exhale.

"Oh, alright, you big baby. Are you sure you're twenty-five instead of just five?"

"I could ask you the same, you know, if I didn't already know your true age."

"Ugh. Men. You know, your new Warlock buddy Canaan was bold enough to say the same thing to me."

"He called you?"

"Yeah, about ten minutes ago."

"I suppose he was more interested in those fireworks than I'd originally thought."

"He asked about them, but I'm pretty sure that was just idle banter to build his confidence while simultaneously feel out my intelligence and capability."

?

"Really? What is it that he wanted, then? I'd not expected him to follow through."

"He wanted me to check up on someone down in New Orleans for him. A preacher, quelle surprise. One who tried to exorcise the demon out of his brother."

?

"A brother?"

"You picked up on that too?

"Mmm?"

"He said he had a sister too. I don't know if she's a Warlock like the other two, but if she was, that'd be a damn coincidence. We don't tend to have siblings, let alone stick together that hard. He was probably raised by a mundie that fed him family values with his macaroni and cheese."

?

?

"Will you be helping him?"

"Well, duh. I told him I had to look out for my home team. I wasn't going to at first. He kinda creeped me out."

"Continue."

"I kinda---had to pull all that information out of him. And rightfully so, you know. But he called me. He wanted my help. You know, at first, he ticked me off. Being all clippy and secretive only works in the movies.

"Anyway, the way he was asking the questions. For starters, he wants all this on the down-low. He doesn't want this preacher knowing he's being checked up on. And he's pissed at the guy. I don't know for certain of Canaan's not going to just go down there and kill him."

?

?

?

"He said he wouldn't. He said, quote, I don't do dat stuff no more. But, Cris?"

"Yes?"

"What would you do if someone hurt your family and you could hurt them back?"

?

?

?

"Yeah. Look, all that happened before I knew he was a Warlock, before I knew why he wanted to look for this preacher. Now that I know, I wouldn't mind seeing this prick burn in Hell. Originally, I was going to tell you to stay away from him."

"Did he bother you that much?"

"He's young, Cris. Young and angry, and he has power. And as much as you like to think you have tact, you don't sometimes. You mouth off to him wrong, and I can see you on the opposing end of---whatever the hell he can do.

"And no, that's not meant as a shot to how efficiently you can kill us measly Downworlders, but I think this guy is a loose cannon. And you're good at setting those off."

?

?

Exhale. "What would you have me do, then?"

"Well, I understand him a bit now. So I'm not as creeped out by it. You don't have to stay away from him. Maybe just---look out for him. Be careful. Help him if you can."

"Are you worried about him?"

"I get worried about every new-gen Warlock. They're such babies." Sigh. "You know what I wonder sometimes??"

"No. What?"

"I wonder if she looked at me like that, ever. ? ? Bianca."

"Like?you were a baby?"

"Yeah."

"Of course she did."

?

?

?

"You think??"

"I know. She told me."

Chuckles. "Figures."

"She worried about you constantly. We discussed you, often. When the both of you fought, she was concerned that you hated her."

Snort. "I should have. I should now. But I don't. I miss her."

?

?

"So do I."

"Don't let your Angel Girl hear you say that."

"I hide nothing from her."

"Really. Has she seen your phone?"

"Yes, she has."

"All of it?"

?

?

?

"Thought so.

"Anyway. Cris. That was it. I wanted to give you the heads up on this."

?

"Thank you. And?thank you for your concern. I appreciate that."

"Hey, no worries. I have to look out for you too. You're an honorary Warlock. You slept with both of us enough to earn that."

"Salo---"
"Toodles~"

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-08-14 06:50 EST
August 3rd

?

?

?

"Please, don't---"

"Don't. You even. I---you know? Do you know how long it's been since I've actually had any fun, Cris?"

"Is that a trick question?"

Scoffs. "A year. Over a year. Cris. Think about that."

"Salome, I did not know that he was going to repeatedly call you. How was I supposed to know that you were---incapacitated."

"We're all adults here, Nephilim. I was ****ing somebody. Or trying to. Thanks to you two.

"You know, and not only that? How hard is it to pick up a phone on your end, anyway? Why do I always have to be the one to call you? You know me better than Canaan anyway. What makes you think I'd ever want him checking up on me instead of you?"

"He was worried about you, that's all. This investigation you're doing for him shouldn't have to involve the Clave. Yes?"

"Is that what he's worried about? The Clave?" Dry chuckle. "I don't know if that's insulting or flattering. Cute, maybe. In that two headed person kind of way."

"How is that---"

"I was kidding, Cris, it's not cute, it's pathetic. To think that I wouldn't be careful, to think that I don't know what I'm doing? He came to me for help, and then he's going to just presume I don't know how to cover my own a*s?"

"I can't answer those questions for you. All I know is that when it became obvious that he was clearly concerned for your safety, handling it with the flippancy that I was at the time no longer seemed appropriate. I was worried about you."

?

?

?

?

"Phones go two ways, Cris. If you're that worried, call me yourself. That way you won't feel so guilty about it later."

?

"Salome."

"No. That's all this is. Well, I'm going to pull out your wedgie and tell you I'm fine. I've been fine. I'm still going to kill Canaan. I might kill you."

?

?

"I suppose."

?

?

"You won't even see it coming."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-08-15 04:57 EST
August 4th

"Eeeeeight hundred Warlock, where we stay open later than Taco Bell. Not really, though. How can I help you?"

"Ain't no good Taco's north'a Texas, cher." Came the familiar southern drawl of Lucien Benoit. Salome could almost hear the lopsided carefree grin on his face in his counter.

"Ahhhhhh, Luc....I said Taco Bell, I didn't say they were any good." Creak. She was smiling too. "Don't tell me you need anything."

"Ahh, even if I done say I need you?" The New Orleans native chuckled, "Naw, cher, I just figgered I'd give ya'll a ring'n see how you durin'."

"Well, I knew that. But I suppose I can handle some late night begging. Grovelling. A few other verbs and adjectives.

"I'm surprisingly okay. I had a date last night. Sorry."

"Oooo?Salome, you go an' break my heart." Chuckle, "Ya'll least get some satisfaction?"

"I have a potion for that, you know. Two seventy-five, even. But for you, I'll make it an even two." Then a scoff. "Tch, yeah, after all the interruptions stopped. One of your kindred Nawlins natives kept badgering my phone. It was pretty sad."

"Oh?" He hadn't been home in some time, "You able to solve 'is problem after scratchin' your itch?"

"I told him to call me the **** back. Not literally." An exhale. "He's a client. One of mine. Warlock, I mean. A---I wouldn't say a friend? But he knows Cris too. He needs someone to investigate a few things without raising any suspicion."

Luc made a noise in his throat, a grunt, "How's he doin' anyway? Cris I mean. Still floatin' 'is eyeballs in alcohol?"

?

?

"No. Actually. I wouldn't say he's fine. He's---I mean, he's Cris. He visited, you know? A couple months ago."

"Well paint me green an' call me a gator, for true?" He gave another huff, "...Well...good he ain't dead I s'pose. Had me wonderin' for a bit there."

"Me too."

?

?

"The town he ended up in is doing good for him. As far as I can tell, he's got his drinking under control. He never had more than three shots when he came to see me. He doesn't look like a stick anymore. His face hasn't changed, though.

"I'm glad. You know? I couldn't really help him, I knew I couldn't. I was kind of just the antiseptic he'd squirt on to clean the wounds when they got infected."

?

?

"Yeah?" Luc sighed at a thought unspoken before he decided to change the subject, "So, biznez doin' good then for ya, cher?"

More than happy to get off of that subject. "It's in the middle of good and great. Pays the bills, lets me do my nails. It keeps me busy. I can't be bored when a hunchback old lady wants her teacup collection exorcised."

A laugh certainly helped shift the mood as well, "Get many a those in th' city?" He chuckled at the thought of the little old lady swatting at teacups with a broom as they whizzed about possessed.

"Possessed teacups? Nah. I found a book that has a demon stuck in it, though. It gives Archimedes something to chase around the house."

"Burn it, ya?" Came the question that sounded more like an urging.

"Oh, I've tried. It's pretty acrobatic for something that doesn't have any legs.

"Enough about me, Luc. My darling. Sweety. Who have you bitten, lately?"

He gave a chuckle when she called him names and purred, "Hmm, there was a fine young chocolate ting down at Pan th' other day. You know how I done like givin' the mundanes some fun at times, ya huh."

?

?

"You're being careful though, Luc. Right? I know the Shadowhunters have their hands full of their Faerie ****-up, but they'll still come down on you if you do that too much."

"Is nuh my fault they done wander into the club. But yeah, I know I know....there was just no willin' Warlocks there the last couple times I been round."

"You know they don't wander. Their panties get all wet six blocks before they get there. But me, I haven't been able to get out much lately. That's why I had to call for take-out."

Chuckle, "Yeah, well?" He left the comment unsaid and shifted to her other comment, "Was it tasty?"

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yeah. Seven feet, skin black as obsidian. Just as hard and shiny. You should've been there."

Another laugh, "Cher?yer appetites never cease to impress." He purred, "Maybe next time, ya?"

"Sure. When are you free?"

"I be free tomorrow evenin' if ya'll interested."

"Oh, Luc. I'll always make time for you, you know that. Besides, I'd love to have an excuse to tell all my clients to fuck off again."

"The better looking, the better. Bring cat food too. Bloody. Archimedes is almost out."

Laugh, "Y'dun make money tha' way, cher?mm, but I do appreciate. Sure thing, Salome. I come get you an' we go out or you wanna stay in all night? I ain't complain either way, ya."

"No one calls me this late. Except you and Cris. And I'd love to be able to tell him to piss off."

"Glad you dun tell me to go piss off. I'd be all sad an' have to spend that two hundred on that potion of yours." Luc teased.

"Depends on when you call, dear. You usually call at good times."

"Any time I call is good time, or at least promises one."

"Don't get too full of yourself now. Your ego will make you fat and you'll be totally useless as a Vamp."

Laugh, "No worries, I'll let you get full of me for the both of us, ya?" He purred, meaning it in an innuendo sort of manner but sometimes they didn't always come out right.

Innuendos always came out right. Giggity. Even more obvious, she laughed. Good, long, hard. Hearty. "Oh wow. Ohhhh, I needed that, Luc. You're great."

"I know." Chuckle, "I'll see ya'll t'morrow night, cher." Again, the carefree smile was on his face at her honest laugh.

"If you want to make it tomorrow afternoon, that's cool too. Get a head start."

"Eager beaver?" Oh double entendres made him laugh too, "Tomorrow afternoon then."

"You're cute, Luc. Too French sometimes. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Salut, Salome."

CLICK

(Thank you, SouthernDaylight!)

Crispin

Date: 2014-09-26 20:27 EST
September 12th

?

?

?

"And how is our intrepid Nephilim to---night? Tonight."

"Why did you not tell me that Lucien was back in town?"

?

"Well hello to you too. Ah-ah-ah, before you get your gear in a wad---you never asked. It's none of your business. And as far as I knew, he hadn't really left town. But I don't keep tabs on him because I'm not his mother."

"Zynnara has mentioned visiting him, or at least where he lives as some sort of safe house."

?

?

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Well, I can't see how that should bother you, you haven't been sleeping with him. ? Right?"

"For the Angel's sake, Salome?"

"Just checking. What's wrong with you? Why does that bug you so much? Is it the vampire thing?"

"No."

"Is it the---I slept with him now some other girl is sleeping with him?"

"Ew, no. I don't even know if Zynnara is sleeping with him."

"I mean, it'd be kind of cute if you were concerned someone was cheating on me considering you did it too."

?

?

?

"It's hard to explain. And---not because I do not want to. But because I do not fully understand it myself."

"He's a reminder."

?

"What?"

"A reminder. Of Bianca, of a year ago, of you. A reminder."

?

?

?

"I suppose."

"I know you, Cris. Sometimes I just want you to feel like you can spit it out without me needling you."

?

?

"Have you seen him?"

"Well, obviously."

"Mm."

"Don't "mmm" me, you knew what answer you were gonig to get. Nothing else isn't even close to the realm of your business."

"Thank the Angel."

"But I like the thought of you with curly hair.

Chuckle.

"So, what else have you found yourself doing? Or should I ask whom? How's your Angel girl?"

"She's fine."

"Only fine? Well don't let her hear that. We girls don't really want to know if people think we're terrible in bed just as much as you don't."

?

?

?

"Cris."

?

"I was kidding. No one's making fun of your girl. Jesus, you really need to lighten up."

?

"It's not that."

?

?

"Something happen with her?"

"Several things have."

"Okay, gross. But I suppose that's a good thing too. Something happen to her?"

"As far as I can tell, and she's told me, it still is."

?

?

"Why don't you start from the beginning? What's wrong?"

?

?

?

?

"If you don't want to say anything, tell me."

"Not, it's---I'm trying to figure out where to begin."

"Take your time, Cris."

?

?

?

"She's a rather---unsavory profession."

"So?a drug dealer? A pimp?"

"Is this a film?"

"I'm trying to save you the trouble of embarrassing yourself. I'm older than you, Nephilim. I don't need your protection from the terrors of the world."

"She's a contract killer."

?

?

"Hot."

"Some time ago, she was forced to kill someone that she did not want to kill in order to save herself. In order to do so, she needed to pretend that he meant nothing to her.

"She got in contact with me afterward, after she'd been unreachable for days and I was able to help her patch herself up. Ever since then, I believe, she's had dreams about this incident. But only recently have they been becoming---unbearable. She thinks that they are being put there intentionally."

"Wait a minute, I thought she was like you. You all have mental protection placed on you at birth."

"I know. And I doubt that Theron would neglect to protect his children. But she did die, as brief a time as that was. Likely they were erased then. I think---she was split from her family afterward. To protect them. She was never in a situation where they could be reapplied."

"Has she never thought of doing it? Specifically for this reason?"

"She can't return to Idris, and I would not trust anyone outside of its borders to perform such a delicate ritual. I've asked her about it, and she's expressed complete disgust for letting someone inside of her head."

"So what you're saying is that she's going to suffer through it until they magically stop or she kills whoever's behind it?"

?

"I don't know. I don't exactly have the right to judge her. I've done the same, for the same reason."

"Stars and mother****ing stones, you two. You deserve each other."

?

"You have a problem, you fix it. You don't just wait for it to go away, you don't make the people that love you suffer right along with you? Or does she not know how much this is killing you yet?"

?

?

"I can't tell her."

"Wha---WHY?! If there was anyone she'd listen to, it would be you, Cris. Or does she have someone else she can trust?"

?

"Do you even know where she goes when she's not with you?"

?

?

"She hardly goes anywhere now. She's staying with me."

"And you watch her. You watch this happen to her."

?

?

?

"What else can I do?? I don't know if she'd even let me help her if I could. The fact that she's here now, that says something, doesn't it? She chose me, she chose here. She could have gone anywhere, but she's here."

"Don't do that, Cris. Don't you do that. Don't you make me listen to you lie to yourself. Again. Over some b*tch."

"Salome, don't call her that. You don't know her."

"I knew Bianca."

"So did I. Leena is not Bianca."

"You're right, she's not. She was just first. She was the one that sunk herself so deeply into your heart that no one else could get in there when she died. And that might be real romantic and congratulations for that s*** but this isn't a ****ing fairy tale, Cris. This is life. This is your life. And I'm not going to listen to you die over this girl again. I saw it once already. So if you're not prepared to do whatever you have to get to through to her, then you really don't have anything to whine about.

"And I don't have anything else to say to you."

?

?

?

?

"You know, I ****ing did this with you? Welcome to a world where someone has to deal with you, Cris. You're stubborn, you're a pain in the a*s. You think you're the only one that can feel as strongly as you do, and that there's no way to fix you. That no one really cares about you, and if they do, it's never enough.

"I think you deserve this right now. You deserve to watch her brain rot from the inside out.

"Just tell her you're in ****ing love with her first so it hurts worse."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-09-27 23:46 EST
September 20th

?

?

"Salome?"

"Hey. This is going to be short, so pay attention."

?

"All right."

"First off, I'm not sorry for anything I said. In fact, I've got a lot more to say about it. But I'm going to try not to, because that's not why I called.

"Second---you need to think about the possibility that Leena's heavily mourning this guy she had to kill for more than just her guilt about it. Contract killer and guilt don't really go together. Pretend like he's nothing to her? She cared about this guy. More than she wanted to. More than you want her to. She might not feel the same way you do about her."

?

?

"Third, if she's not going to do something about it, you have to. If you love her, you have to. Because if you don't, you're going to be right back where you started. I don't know if I'll help you this time, though."

?

?

?

"All---"

"On that note, your newbie came to see me. I gave her some books and advice to keep her occupied, but I'm going to tell you this since she seems to go through you like a travel agent. I don't want to see her either. I've helped her enough, as far as I'm concerned.

"So if it comes up again, lie or something about my not being available."

?

?

"All right."

"All right?"

"All right."

?

?

?

"All right."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2014-10-02 04:48 EST
September 28th

?

?

?

"Canaan? What the hell are you doing?"

"Salome!"

?

?

?

"Oh god."

"...I prefer Canaan. But God's good too."

?

"What did you have, and how much?"

"Lots," and there was relish in his voice. "Bourbon, mostly."

Exhale. Long and exasperated and tired. "And why did you do that?"

"Oh Salome." He scoffed. "Can' a guy jes...drink?

"Which one has lotsa sex?" Who was he talking to?

"Yeah. Guess I'm just used to dealing with whine-y men. Girls, really. You're enjoying yourself, I'm jealous.

"Are you still in a bar?"

"In it? Nah, cher. I'm on da porch, if'n ya wanna get technical.

"Currently watching one'a my lovers get his head rubbed."

?

?

?

?

"I'm not awake enough for this shit. Hang on." Click, clatter.

He laughs. "Wait! Don' hang up on me."

Minutes pass in silence, until finally---Click, clatter, scrape. "Okay...." sigh. "I don't know why I'm even talking to you, I hate drunks."

"Salome~ Salomeeeee~oh hey, cher." He's grinning like a fool. "Nah, I ain' drunk. I'm jes..ok I am, but you can' hate me. Everyone loves me.

"See? Some girl I ain' even met is singin' m'name righ' now." It sounds like he smacks a kiss at someone.

"Taneth," seemingly supplying the unknown girl's name now.

"Candy Cane's m'stage name, Cher." Salome was going to hang up on him.

"Uh huh," like she was examining her nails. "I'm going to hang up on you."

"****, don' hang up on me!" He laughs. "...Wha'chou doin, cher?" All sexy-like.

"Sitting.

"I've got my feet up on my desk. They're bare. I'm bare from the waist down actually."

"You--damn. Mm. Could sen' me'a picture as proof."

"I just got out of a bath. But I can't reach my back. I need one of those loufas on a stick."

"I'd wash yer back. C'mere. I gotta big tub.

"Oh, cher." Was that for her?

"Bigger isn't always better, cher.

"Oh what?"

"Taneth pinched m'ass."

"......What?"

"Da girl I--wait. Wha'chou mean bigger ain' better?"

"I've been alive a little while. Movement and use are just as important. But we're talking about tubs."

He cackled. "I gotta shower, too, if ya like dat bettah."

"Showers are nice."

"How you been, Salome?" He sounded a little more serious now. A thud, followed by some footsteps.

She heard it, likely why she'd paused too. "I've had better months."

An inhale. "Wha's wrong?" He was struggling to clear his mind and not think about her in a shower. With him.

Clicks. "Why should I tell you?"

?

?

"I was drinkin' 'cause I missed 'im t'day. Your turn."

"One more. Who's him?"

"Jeremy." The name burned more than any of his liquor had.

She felt a bit guilty. But for all she knew, there could have been multiple "hims." "Sorry."

"I git two questions now. Answer da firs' while I come up wit' anot'er."

"Cris is an ****."

"He's nex' on my drunk dial lis...which is why I call' you in da firs' place. Need 'is number, by da way. What'd dat jackass do, mm, cher?"

"He was a jackass. He was himself. That's it. It gets on my nerves sometimes. You want his number, you ask him out yourself."

Tch. "He tell you I saved his life?"

"No." Creaks. "What happened?"

"It wad'nt anyt'ing big. Jes Sal tried ta kill 'im. And I got 'im ta calm down.

"Cris," he was chuckling now. " 'E stormed out after."

"Wad'nt anything big?

?

?

"The **** is Sal?"

Another slow inhale. This story had obviously been a mistake. "Ahh?" Something told him he shouldn't cop to being his lover. "He's part fae. Does dis t'ing in da fall where he kinda goes crazy. It ain' no t'ing, cher, hones'.

?

?

"I wouldn' let not'ing happen t'da Shadowhunter. 'Aight?"

"He gets hard and horny for the Hunt, doesn't he? Stars and---he's gonna kill me. That little **** is going to kill me."

Click, thud, THUD.

"Salome!"

Muffled, "Go away, I'm sleeping.

"Wake me up when stuff doesn't suck."

"****, woman." Sigh.

Groooooaaaan, "What'd you think I did?"

?

"Come for a visit. My shower's nice." He was ignoring her question and his moment of panic.

"I'm not touching Rhy'Din with a ten dimension pole, Canaan. If it's not you, it's the newbie and Lucien on my ass to come and I'm not going."

There's a scraping sound. "Aight, cher."

Blows out a sigh, "Did you really do that?"

?

?

"Do what?"

"Save him, what else?"

"Yeah I saved him." He sounded a little offended.

"Why?"

?

?

?

"He's home, Salome. May not actually know da guy, but I wad'n 'bout ta watch him get hurt."

"What th---what do you mean he's home?"

"Home. Like...earth. Reminds me'a home. I miss it."

?

?

"Figuratively, I'd love to be there when you tell him that."

A snort. "I ain' tellin' him shit. Tried to joke aroun' wit' him, what? Nex' day? day after? Anyway. He got all stuffy an' left in a huff."

"Guy's fae?"

"Sal? Yeah."

Grunts.

Muffle. Scrape. "Wai--"

CLICK

Canaan

Date: 2014-10-02 11:55 EST
September 29th

After several tries with no answer, the repentant Cajun waits for voicemail to pick up and leaves a message.

... "Salome." He sounds hoarse. "Salome, 'M sorry, cher. Jes lemme explain what happened. Don' be mad at me. I--****."

CLICK

?
?

"Thank you for calling one eight-hundred WARLOCK, you've reached Salome Mart?n at a moment of indisposition. If you'd so kindly?"

CLICK

?
?

?Salome. Pick up, please, cher.?

?
?
?

CLICK

?

?Dat is a long-ass message. I gotta sit t?ru dat whole t?ing every time I call you. Call me.

CLICK

Canaan

Date: 2014-10-02 11:57 EST
September 30th

?
?
?
"Thank you for calling one eight-hundred WARLOCK, you've reached??

CLICK

?
?
?
?Thank you for calling??

CLICK

?
?
?
?Thank you??

CLICK

?
?
?
?Thank you for??

CLICK

?
?
?

?Goddamnit, woman. You are stubborn. Jes so you know, I?m stubborn, too.?

CLICK

?
?
?

Sigh.

?
?If you don? call me back, I?m gonna start leavin? messages containin? all da sordid details of my sex life. Mebbe I?ll start off wit? da chick who can suck a golf ball t?ru a hose. Or dere?s da guy who likes ta make me bleed. Bettah pick up next time I call, woman.?

Crispin

Date: 2014-10-03 03:32 EST
October 2nd

?

?

?

?

"? ? ? ? ? ? ?

"That's Canaan's phone number. Call him. Distract him. **** him, for all I care. But make him leave me alone, and I'll forgive you."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2015-01-01 00:29 EST
January 1st

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Psa5TOB-uXA/U7ISWDy6IFI/AAAAAAAAL1I/5MfZQL-OY4g/s1600/fireworks-o.gif

Another year is born, Warlock. Do you think it will be easier than the last?

Crispin

Date: 2015-01-04 19:58 EST
January 1st

?

?

?

"Hello."

"You saw fireworks?"

"Beautiful, yes? Canaan's work."

"Eh. I've seen better. I've done better. Sold better. He could take lessons."

"I don't believe my phone did it justice. There were several I did not film."

"Well, I guess you're not gonna win any awards."

"The performance did not move you?"

"Oh, it moved something. But that might have been the coffee."

"Now that is a stirring image."

"I always knew you were filthy, Nephilim."

Chuckles.

"Where are you? It sounds like you're still outside."

"Yes. I recently left the party."

"Whaaaaaaaat? But you'd only been there five minutes."

"How did you know?"

"Oh please, it's you."

"Mm."

?

?

"Sooooooo? What pissed you off?"

"Nothing did."

"Nothing?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing."

"You know, you may repeat the word as much as you like, it will not change the truth."

"Where have I heard that one before?"

"From your own lips."

"Ahhhhh. I thought I recognized wisdom. Too bad your delivery blows."

?

?

"Nothing did, Salome. Canaan mentioned he would be hosting a small celebration in town that would involve a fireworks show. I went and I saw. I filmed, for I did not want you to miss it."

"How sweet?"

?

?

"Somewhere?in the midst of the finale, I caught myself reaching for something that was not there."

?

?

?

"She enjoyed fireworks, didn't she?"

"Yeah, she did."

"I've not thought about her often, lately. I'm relieved, at the same time I'm disgusted. I feel as if I'm forgetting about her."

"It's almost been two years, Cris. How long did it take you to start forgetting about Leena after she died?"

?

?

?

?

?

?

"You're not forgetting her. You're not learning to live without her. You're protecting yourself. And that's okay."

?

?

"I recall a moment when I looked up at the sky, and I knew what she would have done."

"What's that?"

?

?

"Put her head on my shoulder; there'd be little chance she'd wear anything other than heels. Curve her hand around my arm. Reach for the sky?as if she could capture the colors in her fingers."

?

?

"I wanted to see it so badly, Salome?"

"I know, Cris."

?

?

"I miss her."

?

"I know, Cris."

?

?

"I miss her presence. She needn't even speak. Her existence near me would be enough."

?

?

?

"I hadn't expected to feel that way, so strongly. And suddenly. Those around me at the party pinched off into couples, and there was an emptiness at my side that I was abruptly too aware of.

"We rarely missed fireworks."

"Leena didn't go with you?"

"I did not ask her to."

"Would she have, if you did?"

"I do not doubt it."

"Do it next time, see if that changes anything."

?

?

"Perhaps I will."

"Sometimes I think you forget you're not alone, Cris. You're not as alone as you think you are. You've sent me two people you've met already? Granted they were Warlocks, and thank God you weren't ****ing them, but still. Two.

"You're going to waste all your time mourning someone who's not there while you've got someone that is. I know the Higher Power thing is iffy with you guys, but something didn't totally whack your angel girl's wings."

?

?

?

"Besides, you have this thing for thinking about other women when you're dating someone. Doesn't go over so well."

?

"We're not---"

"AND LO, he doesn't deny it."

"But I---"

"No, Cris. Just no. Stop. Close your mouth."

?

?

?

"I miss her too."

"Do you think we're the only ones that do?"

?

?

"Probably. She was a bitch to everyone else."

?

?

?

"Thanks for the video, Cris. It was sweet."

"Of course."

"You can tell Canaan I thought they were pretty if you have to."

"Shall I include the long-suffering sigh?"

"Why not? Sell it for all it's worth, Nephelim."

?

?

?

"Will we keep in touch more often?"

?

?

"Sure."

?

?

"I love you, Salome."

"'Course you do."

Snort.

"Love you too, angel boy."

"Goodbye."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2015-02-06 00:07 EST
January 9th

?

?

?

?

"Thank you for calling one eight-hundred WARLOCK, you've reached---"

CLICK

?

?

?

?

"Thank you for calling---"

CLICK

?

?

?

?

"Thank you for---"

CLICK

?

?

?

?

"Salome. There's something I think you and I should discuss concerning your---Lucien. Concerning Lucien. Call me back."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2015-02-08 05:32 EST
January 10th

There isn't much I haven't shared
With you along the road
And through it all there'd always be
Tomorrow's episode

Suddenly that isn't true
There's another avenue
Beckoning the great divide
Ask no questions, take no side

Who's to say who's right or wrong
Whose course is braver run
Still we are, have always been
Will ever be as one

What is done has been done for the best
Though the mist in my eyes might suggest
Just a little confusion about what I'll lose
But if I started over I know I would choose

The same joy the same sadness each step of the way
That fought me and taught me that friends never say
Goodbye

Elton John -- Friends Never Say Goodbye

?

?

?

"Helloooo~"

"You answered."

"Yeah. I thought I should. I couldn't leave you hanging forever."

"You left me hanging at all?"

Scoff. "Of course. I know how you work. You call, out of the blue? 'We need to talk?' I don't want to talk to you when you're irritated. You're irritating when you're irritated. So I let you calm down."

?

"I see."

"So what did you want?"

?

"Lucien spoke to me last night."

"Uh huuuuuh."

"He's become bitter over the years."

"What's your point, Cris?"

"Have you any notion of how disastrously in love with you he is?"

?

?

"What, is your point, Cris?"

"My point is that I dislike being harrassed by strangers as it is. But individuals that know me, and know of me---add to it that he is not only a leech, but one that has attached itself to a friend of mine, and that makes for an incredibly uncomfortable evening."

?

?

?

Sigh. "All right, what'd he do?"

"It does not matter what he did. I could handle what he did. The only things that concerned me were the reasons behind it."

Scoff. "Let me get this straight. He just talked to you. Didn't attack, didn't leech out. And your first instinct is to---call me and tell on him? The **** is wrong with you?"

"What exactly am I supposed to do with him, Salome?"

"Wh---Chuff---handle it? You're a big boy. He's a bigger boy than you. Duke it out, leave me out of this."

"What do you mean, leave you out of this? You are the sole reason why this has transpired in the first place."

?

?

?

"Salome, if you have no intentions of keeping him, reject him."

?

?

?

?

"It's not fair to do this to him. And I don't want to hear about it again because you hadn't the courage to do it."

"**** you, Cris? Just---just **** you, all right?"

"If I'm wrong, hang up on me."

"I ****ing will, goddamnit. Where do you get off telling me this? Telling me any of this? How dare you tell me how to do anything, when you have enough trainwrecks behind you to stop up the entire Industrial Revolution?"

"Fine. Do it."

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

Clicks.

?

?

?

?

?

?

"Salome?"

?

?

?

Sniff. "What?"

?

?

"You have to choose. You know that. You know that, I know that you do."

?

"Cris---"

"Salome. I did not do this to you."

"No, you know what you ****ing did, you did nothing. You did nothing but mess with my head. You're doing it right now.

"I don't want to hear any of this. Especially, not from you. I've tried to get the **** over you for the past eight years. Eight years, Cris. You know how long it takes me to get over someone?" Exhale. "That. That's it. But you. **** you. You have no idea what you've done to me. At all. You don't even care. You've never cared.

"Do you know what it's like to sit here and just---just listen to you b**** and moan and groan and whine and cry and bleed for all of these stupid women? Evangeline died and you bawled for her for months until Bianca ate what was left of your heart and shat it out in the sewer.

"I tried to tell you for months that she was screwing everyone else, but you never believed me. Then when I showed you. When I showed you what she was really like, I thought it was finally---I finally had a chance. You know?

"But she still won. She's ****ing dead, and she still won.

"I was there with you, Cris?? I was there with you for everything. Ming. B'lana. Finn. Kael and Haven. Aurora. You call me with problems with your goddamned girlfriends. You call me with problems with your goddamned friends."

?

?

?

"And now you're---you've moved on so much now, that even if I wanted to, there's no way I could catch up."

Sniff. Gulp. Sigh. Scratching.

"I loved you. And for some ****ing reason I still do, and I can't stop, and you're not making it any ****ing easier? Don't you dare think you can tell me what I can or can't do now. You have no ****ing idea what this feels like."

?

?

Panting.

?

?

?

?

?

?

"You're right."

?

"Don't you do that either?"

?

?

"Salome---"

"STOP IT. PLEASE. JUST ****ING STOP IT!!!! That's enough!!"

?

Sobs.

?

?

?

?

"Salome, I know that I've hurt you."

Scoff, sniff.

"I know it. I know it, and I swear to you---that not a day goes by where I do not remember it. I ask myself always, afterward, how is it that you do not yet hate me. I haven't the strength to tell you I wish that you did. I don't want to be a continuous source of pain for you. I do not want to be this, to you."

?

?

?

"But? Lucien is not me. If you're angry with me, take it out on me. If you wish to hurt me, do so. Do not take any of my calls. Never speak to me or of me again, if you must, but do not do this to him. Do not do this to anyone.

"You know, don't you??"

?

"What?" Sniff, sigh. "That I'm no better than you? Of course I ****ing know that?"

?

?

?

"Then how---"

"I DON'T KNOW. I don't know. I don't---I just don't. Okay, Cris? I don't. It's nice, not to be the one in constant pain for once."

?

?

"I understand, Salome. But if you do not stop this, you will be having this conversation again. Only it will be Lucien telling you everything you just told me."

?

?

?

?

"Cris, I can't---"

"Shhhh. Shh, shh?"

?

?

?

Shifting. Click. A duet of deep, shuddering inhales.

?

?

?

?

?

"He does not deserve this. Any more than you did."

?

?

?

"I know."

?

?

"That was all I wanted to know."

?

?

"Do you really think I didn't?"

"I don't know. Regardless, I knew that you hadn't admitted it out loud."

?

?

?

?

"You know---" Sniff. "I never thought you'd defend a vamp. Let alone Lucien."

"Believe me, I'm astonishing myself."

?

?

"And I haven't cried in two years. Stars and ****ing stones, what a migraine?"

?

?

Chuckle.

?

?

?

"Sal---"

"Cris. Stop. You don't have to say anything else. Please don't, in fact. Just---just."

"Just, just?"

?

?

"Yeah."

?

?

?

"Would you like to go?"

?

"No."

?

?

?

"All right."

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

Crispin

Date: 2015-02-21 03:49 EST
February 22nd

?

?

?

? ? is early already, **** I'm popular! Hellooooooo, how may I help you today?"

"Salome."

"Crispin."

Snorts.

"Well, I can be formal and stiff and sound I like I haven't slept either, you know."

"Do you have a minute?"

?

?

"A few of them, sure. What's up?"

"I, erm?"

"Yeeeees?"

?

?

?

?

"I can't---articulate what I want to say. It would be light years easier for you to simply know what I'm thinking already."

"Ahhhhhh, the tortures of introversion strike again. One of these days, you're going to have to learn to use your words, Cris."

?

?

?

"Talking is difficult."

"Then why are you calling? You know, since these phones are off the grid, you don't technically have to pay the bill, but seriously. Think of the repercussions."

"Talking to you was always easy."

"Really?" Smile. "What about your Angel girl? Wasn't talking to her always easy too?"

?

?

"Yes. Sometimes."

?

?

"Okaaaay."

?

?

?

"Something happen between you two?"

?

"Maybe."

"You didn't cheat on her, did you?"

"Oh, for ****'s sake?"

"Well, you cheated on me, you know. Cheated on Bianca for a little while, with me. On Lenore with---"

"All right, all right. Okay, I understand."

"You haven't answered."

"For god's ****ing sake, no."

"God's sake? Are we going higher than Raziel now?"

Exhale.

?

?

?

"All right, okay. I'll be serious. I'm all yours. Lay your woes onto me, Nephilim."

?

?

"I'm on the roof."

?

?

?

"Go oooooon."

"It's a bit less than an hour before sunrise, and it's ****ing cold."

"And you're outside because?"

"I can't breathe inside."

?

?

?

"Cris, what's going on?"

?

"Will you laugh at me if I tell you?"

"Babe, I laugh at you when you exist."

?

?

?

"She has not spoken to me all night."

?

"And that's why you're moping and freezing on a roof."

?

"She's upset with me"

"You think? So, if you didn't cheat on her, what did you do?"

?

"I broke someone out of jail."

?

?

?

"It was not just me. But Canaan, and his lover Salvador have a friend---"

"Uh huh."

"I offered them my aid."

?

?

?

"Uh huuuuh."

"Stop that. That's exactly why I did not want to discuss this. Your responses only perpetuate the fact that I'm being unbelievably pathetic."

?

"All right, look, Cris. I don't care what your mouth says about all that right now. I know you. Deep down, someplace, under all that---you---you have to talk to someone. Right?"

?

?

"It's killing you."

?

?

?

"It's killing you worse because it's her."

?

?

"What are you afraid of?"

?

?

?

"One day, I'm going to wake up, and she will not be there."

?

Surprised exhale. "Cris, why would you think that?"

?

?

"Because, I do not want to lose her. It does not even--- We do not even have to be as we are. Though, I can't fathom going about my life as if we weren't."

"Cris. What did you do? You said you broke someone out of jail with your friends. Connect the dots for me."

?

?

"She does not understand why I offered. She does not believe it to be my problem. In fact, she feels the same way about a lot of the things I've gotten involved with."

?

"These all dangerous things?"

"About eighty percent of them, yes."

?

?

?

"They like Kael and Haven bad or drunk Zane bad?"

?

"Kael."

?

?

?

?

"So what are these things that you've gotten yourself mixed up in? You haven't died yet, have you?"

"Not unless this is some completely lucid hallucination."

"But you've gotten ****ed up like you did with Haven."

?

?

?

?

"You know. You don't even have to explain. You're a dumba*s."

"I kno---"

"No, I don't think you do. Otherwise, you'd be like---like, I don't know, having sex or whatever you kids do at this time of the morning instead of you being on the roof and she being---where is she, exactly?"

"She's inside."

"Right, instead of her being inside and freezing you out. Literally."

?

?

?

"I know that she's concerned for my well-being. I know she'd rather not see any harm come to me, but---"

"What do you mean but? You've got an explanation for this?"

"I am not a coward."

"Oh. Really. Tell me what makes you all big and brave then, Mister---I sit on the ****ing roof panicking 'cause my girlfriend won't talk to me."

?

?

?

"Cris?"

"Yes."

"Do you know how absolutely ridiculous you sound? What the **** are you doing?"

?

?

"She asked me the same thing."

"Well good. What did you tell her?"

?

?

?

"I told her?I needed to do something. I could not simply sit by anymore and waste myself away." Exhale "There's sport fighting here in town and it must be the first bullet point on everyone's to-do list to ask me why I don't, and to wish that I would. Dueling for sport is ridiculous. I fight only when I must, when I deem it necessary. I am Nephilim. I am a Shadowhunter. This is what I do. This is who I am, this is who I've trained to be.

"It's---obnoxious---how many times I'm told that does not mean anything."

?

"Who's told you that? Have they said those exact words?"

Exhale. "What else am I supposed to think? Two years ago, I was wrong for caring nothing for anything or anyone around me. Now, I'm told I care too much and I'm throwing myself into situations that do not concern me. I can't---I do not understand what I'm supposed to do.

"Salome, there is no way I can sit by and do nothing. Had I kept up, had I more skill than I did, two years ago, Bianca may not have been taken in the first place."

"Oh, for ****'s sake?"

?

?

?

?

Sigh. "Okay. Lemme go at this another way. You said she's a hit woman for a living. Right?"

?

?

"In the most basic terminology."

"Okay. You want her to be doing that?"

?

"No."

"Why not? She needs money, doesn't she? She trained the same as you, didn't she? She's got skill, she can kick a*s. Why shouldn't she?"

?

?

"She could be killed."

"What's that?"

"She could be killed."

"Really? I thought that's who she was. What she did, what she's good at."

"That isn't what I meant?"

"She ever tell you you were a wuss and couldn't handle yourself?"

?

?

?

?

"You remember our nice little run-in with Haven and Kael, don't you?"

"That was an ironically abrupt segue?"

"Don't be a smarta*s."

?

?

"I remember."

"I listened to what they did to you, Cris, and I went out of my ****ing mind when they cut the connection. I didn't know if you were alive or dead. We talked for, like forty-five seconds on the phone. You want to know what she did?"

?

?

"What?"

"She wouldn't stop chanting about how you were going to be fine. I don't know her from the next hole in the wall, but you don't sound like that unless you care a stupid amount about someone."

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

"I was pissed at you for coming too, you know that?"

?

?

"Yeah." He never said "yeah."

?

"Yeah."

?

?

"Could you have died tonight?"

"Salome---"

"Don't get cocky. Answer me. Could you have?"

?

?

"It was possible."

"Cris, I'm going to tell you something. And I want you to listen to me very carefully, because I'm only going to discuss this with you once, and after that, if you **** yourself over, that's you're fault. You listening?"

"Yes."

"Take your head out of your a*s. You know, you said that thing about how you didn't care about anyone or anything, and how we all wanted you to care. This, right here, this, what you're doing. It's not caring. Still.

"Everything you've said, everything you've told me, is all about you. About what you feel and what you think, what you should be doing. Who the **** is watching you that you've got to try so hard? Seriously?"

?

?

?

?

"She thinks that living as I am will get me killed."

?

?

"Well, is she wrong?"

?

?

?

?

"Cris, you've told me so much about her, I don't know her but I kind of feel like I do at the same time. And if you two were as close as you said you were, you weren't the only one who lost somebody when she got shot."

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

"You know what else? It's pathetic that it's not sunken in yet that people actually give a **** about what happens to you. It's pathetic that I have to tell you this. Over again."

?

?

?

?

"You know?"

?

?

?

"What?"

?

?

?

"Lenore actually said something similar to me a long time ago."

?

?

"What was that?"

?

?

?

"She told me that she was concerned about how much of myself I was going to give away to someone who needed me."

"What did you tell her?"

?

?

?

?

"I don't remember."

?

?

?

"Maybe it's time you tried to. If you're really that scared about losing Evangeline all over again, don't make her watch you die. Don't be stupid. If you've got to give your life for something, let it be for her."

?

?

?

?

?

"I've got to go. I've got a seance in Queens that I so don't want to do, but hey. I'm a professional.

"Promise me you'll think about what I said."

?

?

?

"I promise."

"And go inside. You retard."

Chuckle.

?

?

"Yeah."

?

?

?

CLICK

Eight Hundred Warlock

Date: 2016-07-16 03:40 EST
Early, July 16

?

?

?

?

"This is Cris. I'll----"

CLICK

?

?

?

?

"This is----"

CLICK

?

?

?

?

"This----"

CLICK

?

?

?

?

Click. "Explain something to me."

"Ohhhhhhhhhhh, he speeeaaaaaaks~" Giggle.

"Why am I looking at your ass hanging out of a truck window?"

Snort. "S'a real good question there, Dad."

"Fin sent it to me."

"Well, lookit you. You've been upright and bipedal for like......like, like.......I don't know, what time is it? Whatever, like........a few days, okay? And you've totally already got fanmail. You're so popular."

?

"Are you drunk?"

?

?

Snoooooort, gasp. "Kinda."

Snort.

?

?

"Whazzat a laugh?"

?

?

?

"Nearly."

"How are you, Cris? Really? How are you, really? Don't lie to me, you know I know when you lie, and you know I know-----know. Noooooo," giggle, "doesn't even sound like a word anymore. But. No. But. How are you? How's Leena?"

?

?

"We're?" exhale, "adjusting."

?

"What does that mean?"

?

?

"Just that----it's, it's merely very strange, Salome. It feels? I've learned----that there've been two months, nearly two and a half, that I've been?" Clicks. "?I've not been here, for two and a half months, but it feels? It feels like so much longer. I feel as though the face I see in the mirror before me should be an old man instead. I feel----disoriented. In ways that I've rarely experienced before."

"That's to be expected, you know, like you've been dead for a little while. Hell's not usually a hot vacation spot."

?

?

?

Snort, gurgly, cackles. "Hoooooot. Hahhaahahhaa, hoooot vacation spoooot. Aahahaha....."

?

?

?

"No, no. Nononono, I shouldn't laugh." Snort. "Sorry. Sorry, I'm sorry. Okay. Hoo. I'm good. You were saying."

"Nothing. It's----you're right. It's me. I've felt," exhale, "I've seen? It's merely----very strange. I'm not yet used to it. I've lurched myself to attention at the top of every hour I find myself even close to dozing off."

?

?

?

"It feels?like a dream, with the potential to become an execrable nightmare."

?

"You'll get better, Cris."

?

?

"You just need a little time. And that's okay. You know? I know you want to just get up and charge, and pretend like everything's fine, but----you died. Cris. You died."

?

?

?

"I know."

"Do you remember it?"

?

?

"Every moment."

?

?

?

?

"Okay."

"No, I don't want to talk about it."

Snort. "I know. Wasn't going to ask."

?

?

?

?

"Where were you tonight, exactly, that I received a video of your wriggling ass? Wait----before you answer that, did you get stuck?"

Scoff. "I did not get stuck. I got. Held up. On the window sill. I couldn't reach the ground, and I couldn't shove anything."

?

"That is the very definition of getting stuck."

"Oh bite me, Nephilim."

Chuckle.

?

?

?

"I missed you. I missed you so much, Cris. You don't----"

"I know."

?

?

?

?

?

"You've been, erm? Spending time, with Fin. Yes?"

?

"Yeah. A little. Not just him, but. Yeah. The thing I was at tonight. He, uh----he got his own forge. It's got an apartment in the front and a not-bad view. It was one of those housewarming things."

?

?

?

"I see."

?

"He missed you too, you know."

?

?

?

"A lot of people did."

?

?

?

?

"Cris."

?

?

Throat clearing. "Yes."

?

?

?

Exhaled chuckle. "Get some rest. And you know, rest doesn't mean sleep."

Snort.

?

?

"Contact doesn't mean physically seeing people, either. They've got phones. You've got a phone."

?

?

?

?

?

?

"I know."

"'Kay. Seriously, get some rest. Take a bath. With some bubbles. I won't tell anybody you like the fruity shit."

Chuckle.

?

?

"I love you."

?

?

"I love you too, Salome. Thank you----for calling."

"See? Drunk me's good sometimes."

?

?

?

?

?

?

"Do I really have to hang up?"

"No, you don't. I'm doing nothing important."

?

?

"Okay, good. Just----a few more minutes. Okay?"

"Of course."

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

Eight Hundred Warlock

Date: 2016-07-17 01:58 EST
Early, July 17

?

?

?

BEEP

Exhale. "Men are fucking stupid. You all are. All of you, not even the pretty, sweet ones. You're all stupid.

"Why do you all have to be so fucking pretty anyway? With your bad moods and your having to be so stupidly understanding that I can't even get mad at you."

Heaved sigh, the fwump of a body hitting a cushion.

"I don't know how Ketch doesn't creep you out. You're so alike. You never made me feel like I was two inches tall, though. Well, I mean. You did. But I know you didn't mean it. Most of the time."

?

?

?

?

"Whatever. They asked about you. I don't think they knew what to say. Fin and Ketch. I didn't know what to say either. I'm running out of things to say. I keep saying readjusting. That just makes me think you're grabbing your crotch." Snort.

?

?

"Fin said he sent you something else too.

"I don't know why I'm still talking.

"Men are stupid."

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2016-07-21 04:11 EST
Early, July 18

?

?

?

?

Click, scrape, rustle. Groan, exhale, " ? ? ?nnnnnghhhh? Hello."

?

?

"Hey."

"Cris?? C----what time is it....? Jesus, it's like four," sigh.

"I woke you, didn't I?"

"Mmmmmmm, nothin' gets past you. Something up?"

"No. No, I?Fin. He sent me something again."

"Yeah? Was it nudes? I bet it was nudes."

?

?

?

"No, it wasn't that."

Rustling. A sniff. "What was it?"

?

"A video."

?

?

?

?

"You know you'll have to give me more. I'm thinking some reaaaaal dark thoughts here." Snicker.

?

?

?

"He wanted me to know that it's all right. What I'm doing. Taking time. And that he'd not pressure for any discussion of what's happened. Any discussion at all, I believe."

?

?

"Yeah?"

?

?

?

"It's----bizarre. Often, it was the other way around, between us. That loss of connection was important to him. He thought I looked down upon him."

"Sometimes he thinks you don't like him either."

?

?

?

"I know."

?

?

?

?

"Mmmm. What else did this thing say?"

?

?

?

?

?

?

"You saw everyone, yes? Afterward."

?

?

?

"Yeah, I guess. I didn't really want to, most of the time, but some of your friends weren't so bad. Why?"

?

?

?

?

"How were they?"

?

?

?

?

"What do you mean, how were they? You know how they were. You didn't get enough of that from Leena or Shae? Or Lirssa?"

?

?

?

?

?

"I know what you're trying to ask me. If everyone was okay, right? They didn't hurt too much, for too long?"

?

?

Scratch.

?

?

?

?

"I know you don't want me to lie to you."

?

?

"I'm not going to let you use this against yourself, either. Cris, it wasn't your fault. None of this was your fault. You didn't choose anything."

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

"I chose her."

?

?

Clipped exhale, "Yeah, well. Big deal. You un-chose her too. It took you a decade, but----"

?

?

?

?

?

?

"I wish I could lie. You know? I wish I could lie and tell you everybody was sad for a bit, but they got over it. That's what you do when you lose a job, or when your weekend plans fall through, Cris. You weren't a thing, you're not a thing, you're a person. You touched people.

"You want to know what happened afterward, fine. When I found you, I thought I was going to die. I'd gotten up to shower only fifteen minutes earlier. You weren't that deeply asleep, but it was enough? It was the most relaxed I'd seen you since I got in. And I thought you'd stay that way. I didn't think I'd find you----I didn't----not----"

?

?

?

Quietly, "I tried to call Leena. I didn't know where she was and she wasn't picking up, and then I remembered Shae. You talking about her and her helping you, and we'd just met the night before. I called her, I couldn't even---- Her face, Cris, her face when she saw you and when Bianca---- When----"

?

?

?

?

"Cris, it was just a mess. Everything was a mess. I was a mess."

?

?

?

?

?

"There was this thing. This----Beltane or something. Straight out of old world with the bonfires and all the faeries. Your friend Shae, she was chosen as Queen, and she picked you for Green Man, and she talked about you. Cris. About----about h-how you hated crowds and being in front of people, but friendship with you gave light. She said it better than I did?

"I couldn't quit fucking crying. That's where I met Fin. I mean, we kind of----I mean. Fae wine is strong. I didn't know what we were supposed to do then. Nobody did. People kept looking at me like my dog died, but you weren't a dog either."

?

?

?

?

"We talked about you. How we met, how you met him. What he thought about you. He let me cry. He----held me. Actually. Until I stopped. I did that with a lot of people. And I mean----it's hard to find bad things to say about someone who's just died but----no one I talked to seemed like they were going to burst into flames because they were lying. They remembered you, Cris?? As a good man, a good friend. They missed you. You never told anyone what was going on, and you never seem like anything could ever get out of your control?"

?

?

?

?

?

"So no. Nobody was all right with this."

?

?

?

Exhale.

?

?

?

?

?

?

"Cris."

?

?

?

Scratching.

?

?

"They're still worried about you. That's not going to go away. No matter how much you wish it would. That's what happens.

"Look, what does it feel like when people tell you to back off and they don't need you?"

?

?

"I'm not saying you need----well. Maybe I am. Maybe I am saying that. And Fin's right, not right away. It doesn't have to be right away. But you've got to at least talk to them. Talk to somebody. Hell, I can list four people off the top of my head right now.

"Just? Don't-----don't sink forever, Cris."

?

?

?

?

?

?

"He did that for you?"

?

"Yeah. More than once. Ketch did----just that one time. Antonia, Cianan----just about every other night, the whole time."

"Cianan."

"Yeah. Cianan."

?

?

?

?

?

"I'm not----I don't want to tell you not to call. It's so good to hear your voice, Cris, and that----that stupid thing you do with the damn phone because you can't hold it far enough away from your face."

"Oh. Sorry."

"No! No, no. No, it's okay. It's----it's nice. Like you're still there. I just---- The best way to catch up is to talk to them. You know what I want you to do. You know you don't have to do it just for me. But, think about it. Yeah?"

?

?

?

?

?

"Cris?"

?

?

?

?

"Yeah. I know. I know, I---- I miss them, too."

?

?

?

?

"All right."

?

?

?

?

?

?

"Can----"
"Yes."

?

?

?

?

"Yes, you can stay."

Rustling. A long exhale. "Just until I fall asleep again. Someone woke me up."

?

"They must be an ass."

?

?

?

Snort. "Must be."

?

?

?

"Good night, Salome."

?

"Not yet."

?

?

?

?

?

"Right."

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

Eight Hundred Warlock

Date: 2016-07-22 04:19 EST
Early, July 22

?

?

?

?

Clicks. Scratch, shuffle, exhale. "Yes. Hello."

?

?

?

Long, slow sigh. Sniff. "Cris??"

?

?

"Salome." Rustle. "------What's wrong."

?

?

?

"Nothing. Nothing's wrong, I just---- Um. You know, I know you're not. Not----not seeing anybody, or anything right now, but...... Can you??"

?

?

?

"Salome?"

?

?

?

?

Harsh exhale.

?

?

?

"You know what? You know what, no. No. That's fine. That's great. That's----

"You know, how many fucking times have I picked up this phone for you? No matter what time it was. No matter what you were calling about. No matter----anything. I picked up, for you. You know, and there were times I wanted to fucking kill you myself."

"Salome----"

"Times where I didn't want to talk to you. Hearing your voice made me fucking sick, but I still did it anyway, because it's you and that meant something."

"Salome, where-----"

"Fuck you, Cris. I get that you've got a lot going on right now, really, I do. But I didn't think it was too much to fucking ask to see you for like twenty minutes."

"Salome, for the Angel's sake, will you----"

"NO. YOU DON'T GET TO SALOME ME AND MAKE IT ALL BETTER. I don't fucking need you, I wanted you, there's a goddamned difference, and now I don't even want that anymore. You want people to reach out to you and ask for you, and lean on you, and all that, but all you want is to feel like you're fucking special. Like you matter. It's someone else's turn, for once to feel like people give a shit.

"Enjoy your fucking fort, with your Angel girl and your tea and your gutlessness. I got on just fine without you for two and a half months, and I did it for a long time before all of that, so let's just keep this fucking streak going, shall we?"

"Sa----"

CLICK

Crispin

Date: 2016-07-23 19:04 EST
Early, July 22

?

?

?

?

"Thank you for calling----"

CLICK

?

?

?

?

"Thank you----"

CLICK

?

?

?

?

"Thank----"

CLICK

?

?

?

?

"Thank you for calling one eight-hundred WARLOCK. Sorry to miss you, but I'm on vacation. Stay tuned for my associate's contact information. He's taken over for now, and he's more than equipped to deal with your problem. Everyone else, press 6. Toodles!"

BEEP

?

?

"And now you're no longer answering your phone.

"Salome, I do not understand what in the Angel's name that was all about, and presently, I'm finding it exceedingly difficult to care. I doubt, fully, that it's escaped your notice these past two and a half months that I have not been here at all. I haven't the foggiest notion what's been going on in that time.

"The only thing that I do know is, because of that, I know that whatever is going on with you has absolutely nothing to do with me. Regardless of how much you wish that it did, or that I was the real target of your ire. It may be easier to transfer it to me rather than deal with it at its source, but I do not care about that either.

"The only thing I've asked you for is time, to sort everything out on my own, and you haven't even been able to give me that. You are in no position to make demands of me just because you've had a bad fucking day, and I owe you.

"I deserve a chance. And I was certain that you, of all people, remembered that. I deserve a chance, I deserve time. I did not deserve that.

"And you know that too. But I feel it prudent to remind you."

CLICK

Eight Hundred Warlock

Date: 2016-11-06 22:24 EST
Early afternoon, November 6th

?

?

?

?

CLICK

"You know, fucking finally."

"You spend the better part of the last three days blowing my phone to absolute Hell, and when I call you back----"

"Oh, fucking please. Don't even start. Don't you even start, Angel blood. You're turtling and you know it, and I know it, so if I wanted to ignore you for a little while while I got to fucking enjoy myself for once? Boo hoo."

Water running, the chug of pipes.

?What exactly is it that you want from me now??

?Now? Well hell, right now, I want to know how you are. You sound like you woke up on the wrong side of Raziel?s ass, like usual, so I figure you?re fine.?

?Do not lie to me.?

?That?s not a lie, Cris. I don?t bug you because I know how you are, and I know what you?re doing right now.?

?Then it stands to reason it?s become egregiously obvious that for you to call and text me as often as you have, I have something you need. What is it??

?

?

?I talked to Shae about what?s going on. Leo, Glenn, Leena, you----all of it. I don?t----I mean, Glenn. When you talked to him, what?d he even tell you about all this??

?He prefaced the entire discussion with a ruse surrounding your safety.?

Snort.

?I didn?t exactly think it was amusing.?

?You wouldn?t. You care, Nephilim, be still my black little heart.?

?

?

Chug of water ceases, drips.

?

?

?He spoke of seraph blades and how they may be an asset to what it is we?re all to do.?

?Well, they?re really the only thing I could think of off the top of my head that?d cut a demon down and keep him down. Problem is, most of us don?t have the right blood to use them. That?s part of it. Shae fielded the suggestion that we might be able to create something like them so we?re not stuck just using only them. So maybe the rest of us can get inducted into your little angel club, too.?
?

?

?You?ve still not answered my question. What is it that you need, Salome.?

?

?

?

Exhale, ?Shae. Talk to Shae. It?s her idea, she?ll be able to fill you in on it better. We were thinking something like-----like another weapon that can store some of the energy you?ve got, maybe we can use it. I don?t know.?

?

?

?

?

?She said you haven?t been returning any of her calls or texts either.?

?

?

?

?

?Lemme guess. You haven?t been out at all. You just-----sit there, sit there at a window, or whatever. You?ve got a pile of cigarettes, you?ve got a bottle of something because fuck tea. Right??

?

?

?

?

?

?

?Cris, you can?t do this???

Sigh, ?Then what is it, pray tell, that I am supposed to be doing? Fucking it out, as you are, pretending that all that?s transpired throughout the last year was merely some sort of fabrication, a farce, like it did not legitimately kill me in the process. Twice, Salome----?

?Oh, bullshit, you only died the once. Seems to be a pretty common deal here, too.?

Exhale.

?Look, I know what you mean. I get it----?

?You say that a lot. Do you even realize it? You headline everything, anything that will result in your two cent opinion by insisting that you understand what you?re talking about. As though you know, firsthand, what it is to perish. What it is to awaken to the reality that your soul has been ripped totally free of your body and confined------?

?That?s fucking bullshit too, Cris, and you know it. The way you are, how you feel right now? Doesn?t have shit to do with Hell, it doesn?t have shit to do with your souuuul or your confinement. No, this about her. This is about Bianca.?

?

?

?

?You?re going to let her do it all over again, aren?t you? She?s the reason you got killed, she?s the reason you went to Hell, she?s the reason------- Hell, she-----heh, Cris, she fucking busted you when she died and do you know how fucking frustrating it was to just sit there and watch you just-----destroy everything? Destroy everybody because you thought you failed her? And what?d you learn here, she did it to her fucking self.?

?

?

?Don?t let her do this, Cris, you can?t keep letting her have all this power over you. It?s fucking with you, it?s going to ruin everything you?ve been trying to build back up----?

?You deserve each other.?

?

?

?Excuse me??

?The both of you, dispensing your advice like a vending machine, so eerily similar, though Glenn?s opinions of the situation were not as verbose as yours are, or tend to be. A blessing, by the Angel, as there seems to be no plug big enough to stuff into your mouth.?

?

?

?Look, Cris, I don?t know what he said-----?

?I told you as much already, or did you merely choose to disregard the voicemail I left? The only way that he would have any basis for his assessment would be if you deemed it necessary to link hands with him and waltz down this memory lane discussing a plethora of subjects that are none of his fucking business.?

?You know, just in case it?s escaped your notice, Mr. High and Fucking Mighty, you were a gigantic part of my life. You still fucking are, and I care about you. I have always cared about you, and if that means that I talk about you, and I talk about our life together, and fuck, I just talk, you?re going to goddamned deal with it, because I?m older than you Cris. I got here first, and you don?t have that right.

?I don?t give a shit what he told you. And if it?s even in your head that you think I set any of that up, you?re a fucking idiot.?

?I think that you?re toeing a dangerous line. And I am certain that all of the fornication has done wonders for his disposition-----?

?Fuck, I wonder why??

?--------but that does not change the fact that this is the same man with whom I had a rather strange conversation regarding a woman that he was still emotionally invested in-----?

?Cris----?

?He asked what I would do, were I in his position. Back from the dead, to find that the life that I?d known, the woman I?d cared for, has all changed and moved on, respectively.?

?You know, for somebody that?s all about not wanting their business spread around, you?ve got a butter knife pretty deep in his shit.?

?You know as well as I that once you love someone, there is no evicting them from your mind. They resurface, even when you do not want them to, and especially when you are looking into the eyes of someone else.?

?YOU SONOVABITCH!!!?

Glass shatters, the bathroom door slams shut as if by a strong wind.

?How dare you. This has nothing to fucking do with me, this has nothing to fucking do with Glenn. This is you. This is all goddamned you. And you?re pissed that she hurt you, and you?re pissed that she broke your heart, and you?re pissed that you died. You?re pissed she helped, you?re pissed that she?d do it again, you?re pissed. You?re pissed and you?re being a motherfucking wuss, and you?re fucking lashing out because that?s all you fucking know how to do. You can?t justify killing us, you can?t justify killing yourself, so you?ll just set fire to fucking everything and watch it all burn up, and that won?t fucking fix anything, goddamnit, that?ll just make it worse.

?But how dare you talk about him like he?s just fucking using me, and how dare you talk about me like I?m some goddamned idiot that?ll just fucking let that happen. News flash, Angel blood, Glenn isn?t you, he?s better than you, and that pisses you off too because maybe you got fucking used to the fact that the way I felt about you wouldn?t let me really cut you out of my life, but I did it once, Cris, and I?ll gladly do it again.

?And I don?t fucking get how you?re so flippant about this? Like, fuck, don?t give a shit about me, I don?t care. I can take care of myself, but don?t you love Leena? Doesn?t the idea of putting down the fucker that?s been on her ass this whole time sound like a good idea, and yet here you are, sticking your thumb into what you think is a wound I still carry. I gave up on you loving me a long time ago, Cris, and fine, just about every other guy I?ve been with wanted somebody else too, or they wanted somebody else more, but that?s on you, that?s your guilt over all of it, that isn?t Glenn.

?Oh, and by the way. It?s real fucking nice that you?re dragging up Madison?s shit and using it to fill your verbal machine gun. Great friendship tactics there.

?You?re a fucking asshole.?

CLICK