Topic: Ammy Phoenix, 400 years of history

Ammy Spiritor

Date: 2010-04-28 17:21 EST
~Prelude~

The western horizon was ablaze with the molten gold and red paint of the setting sun. The ghostly outline of a silver moon was rising. Soon, the silvery moon would be shining its brightest as the sun vanished. Pin pricks of white stars, daubed with red dwarf stars, and the frequent shooting stars framed the night sky of the planet Sliinkaa. Faintly, a few white dots appeared on the western horizon.

The white dots grew larger as the ships attached them broke the waves at a fast clip. Large white sails filled with air, were tethered to metal masts. The ships hulls glinted with metal, as a dull roar was heard from within them. The sails were a simple guise to throw off any observers that the fleet approaching the western shores of Chaantiir was local fishing vessels.

Two tan skinned figures stood at the bow of the lead fleet ship. Both were almost identical in height, yet one had the build of a male while the other the slender but curvy form of a female. The male had black hair that was cropped short and standing at attention in the stiff breeze. Gray eyes scrutinized everything they were set upon. A stiff, navy blue uniform adorned the male and several patches and medals indicated he was quite the skilled military man. His attention was drawn to the fast approaching beach of Chaantiir?s western shores.

Unclipping a radio from his belt, the man barked into the receiver with the air of a seasoned drill sergeant.
?Reduce speed. We can?t trust that the coral reefs haven?t shifted in the last hundred years.? The order given he clipped the radio back onto his belt. He canted his head toward the female. ?Are you sure that this mythical magite will exist on that savage continent?? he asked.
The female turned to address the officer with a raised, thin, white eyebrow that threatened to leap off of her forehead and slit his throat. Though she seemed slender, the female radiated an aura that made most people shy from her, though her appearance was mostly to blame. Stark white hair down to her hips, red iris eyes, and skin tattooed with fading, hematite lines.

?Admiral Stukof, I appreciate that you keep your mundane questions to yourself. Just concern yourself with the little toy boats Huumaaraa leant you. I and my followers will deal with the natives and the magic.? Her tone of voice was enough to freeze anyone to the ship deck and flay skin.
Admiral Stukof took the rebuke in stride and just grinned widely. ?As you wish, Ammy Phoenix, I?ll play with my boats and I?ll let you and your witches play with your caldrons.?

Ammy stiffened slightly at the sarcasm and discrimination in his voice. That stiffening cost a level or two of favor in the admiral?s eyes. Both of them stood stiffly in silence, watching the silver painted coastline grow. A few grating screeches announced Admiral Stukof?s suspicion about the coral reef. A few tense minutes as the ships changed course and then the shore was seen easily a few yards away. Anchors were heard splashing in the water and the orders for the boarding boats to be lowered.

Ammy glanced at Admiral Stukof for a brief moment. ?You let me handle this research mission. Keep your itchy fingers off the triggers of cannons. I don?t want a repeat of the Yasmiir Incident. Understood??
The admiral just grinned again, ?Whatever you say witch.?

Ammy stormed off to the nearest boarding boat. Not caring that it was still being lowered, she jumped off the deck and landed with ease in the boat. The small crew was a bit stunned and one large man was about to sold the offending idiot till he saw it was Ammy. The man simply turned around and barked orders. Ammy strode right up to the man with a slight grin.

?Carlon, nice to see you on this little venture, I want this boat to myself. Keep your crew on board, but let no other personnel on. Understood?? Ammy?s voice was as soft as a lead pipe wrapped in a pillow.

Carlon simply nodded hearing the order and told the helmsman to cast off. The boat broke off from the ship to the angry shouts of awaiting crew watching their ride leave.

Ammy Spiritor

Date: 2010-05-16 14:38 EST
Carlon deftly maneuvered the landing boat through the smaller reef system near the shore line. The other crew members appeared to be watching him like a hawk, but in fact their attention fell on Ammy.

"Not right, that one." said a young man, a simple ensign by his ranking patch.

An older, more grizzled sailor just grinned hearing the young man. He leaned in close to the ensign. "Not right is an understatement. Do you know who you're talking about?"

The ensign looked at the older man questionably. "Gunny, I have heard rumors that she's a witch. A hand waver. I even heard she's behind this whole mission looking for something that doesn't exist." His voice was low, but rising as he let loose the local ship gossip.

The Gunny guffawed. "That's a load of fairy tale crap. Let me tell you the true rumors. That woman is Ammy Phoenix, head of the Magite District. Now you might think a corporate type wouldn't know how to do anything but push papers. Ammy though didn't get the cushy job by having family in high places. She started in our position, as a Spell Blade."

Hearing the Gunny mention the Magite District as well as Ammy being a Spell Blade, the ensign reevaluated the woman. Being a Spell Blade would explain the eerie tattoos Ammy had all over her. The fact she went from grunt to executive made the ensign very nervous. "Did she kill to get to the top?"

The Gunny laughed then noted that shore was getting closer. Soon it would be time to start this little mission. "You could say that. She didn't kill business people if that's what you're getting at. Ever read about the Yasmiir conflict?"

Then ensign nodded. Who hadn't? The Yasmiir conflict was both a study in Conquest, Failure, and excellent Recovery strategies that all Huumaaraan military students read about. But nothing was ever mentioned about Spell Blades. "There was no report about Spell Blades."

The Gunny grinned. "They wouldn't want to say who started the conflict, now would they? Yasmiir held a gold mine of some mystical mineral that the high ups wanted for military research. They sent the Spell Blades in to determine if the mineral was what they were after. Ammy was among them. Heard they slipped onto the continent, passed as locals, and all of them even married to make the integration complete. Three years later, boom, we are called in to alleviate the inhabitants of Yasmiir of their precious minerals.

But, the Spell Blades told us nothing about the defenses. They had gotten attached to their new lives. Our ships were hit hard by artillery. We retaliated. The death toll was high on the Yasmiirans. They'd never come up against our weaponry before. A few of the Spell Blades died in the attack as well. More died when one was caught trying to call the navy off of attacking them. Ammy was the only one left of her company. Now what did the records tell you caused the final victory?"

The ensign was a bit dazed hearing this new intel on a piece of history he though he knew well. "The inhabitants yielded after the initial bombardment. They let the forces onto the island and didn't resist. Why?"

A soft crunch was heard at the bow of the boarding boat. Carlon gave a quick, low order. "We have beached. Move out. We follow up on Phoenix's lead." Carlon grabbed an assault rifle, and pulled on a flack jacket.

Ammy looked out at the moon lit beaches. She had been eaves dropping on the Gunny and the Ensign, and was now wondering if this mission would be a repeat of Yasmiir. Not waiting for the crew to finish prepping, she took four strides and leaped off the boat, making a splash in the shallow waters. She turned and eyed the Gunny and the Ensign. She knew what he was going to say next and just simply nodded, then headed up the beach head.

With everyone scrambling to get ready and to catch up to Ammy, the Gunny shoved an assault rifle into the Ensigns hands as he strapped on his helmet. "Yeah, the inhabitants yielded alright. Out of all of those Spell Blades, Ammy was the only who was not emotionally attached to any of the inhabitants. Seeing that full war would happen, leading to a lot wasted military resources, she went to weapon mode. A buddy of mine was on one of the ships that day. He said it was bizarre. A sudden flash of crimson erupted on the island engulfing all of Yasmiir. It lasted a few seconds, but when it vanished, the island was quiet."

Helmet on, the Gunny checked his own assault rifle and headed to the railing of the boat. He hopped down into the shallow surf. The ensign splashed in behind him, almost falling face first. The Gunny rolled his eyes. Great, a newby. Marching up the wet sand, the ensign was right behind him. "Then what? What happened when the island was taken?" he was puffing a bit, not used to the weight of the weapon or the flack jacket.

The Gunny stopped and turned to look right in the ensigns eyes. "My buddy was first on that island. His report along with everyone else was taken, edited, and distorted. But what he told me before someone offed him was that the island was silent for a reason. Only Ammy Phoenix was standing in the center of it. Not a damn trace of any other living being."

Ammy Spiritor

Date: 2010-11-19 07:19 EST
Ammy was way ahead of the Gunny and the Ensign to listen anymore. What they said, she knew already. Carlon was moving right beside her, alert, and his assault rifle ready. He gave Ammy passing glances assessing what weaponry she had on her. He stifled a small grunt.

"I see you haven't changed much since your Spell Blade Days, Ammy's. No weaponry once again." he whispered.

"I don't trust in bullets to do a job meant for magic." her reply was low.

The small group of four pressed on, being the only group this far in as the rest of the invasion force worked on taking the beach head. They passed by many unknown plants long forgotten to most. Surely some ancient book in the world had the names and what they could do, but who cared anymore. Ammy heard something in the wind and she stopped, dropping to a crouch and raising a closed fist for Carlon, Gunny, and the Ensign to stop moving.

They all crouched and listened to the conversation in the local tongue. Ammy listened, translating mentally what was being said.

Person 1: *Did you notice the big fishing fleet at sunset?*
Person 2: *Yes, I did. We don't have boats out to the west though. The fish are still spawning. Do you think it's a merchant group blown off course?*
Person 3: *Couldn't be a merchant group. Few travel the western side with all the coral about.*
Person 1: *We should go tell the governor that there are boats out there.*

Ammy stopped listening and looked to Carlon. "The fleet has been spotted but they don't know it is an invasion yet. We need to make sure they don't tell anyone."

Carlon just smiled. He motioned the Gunny and the Ensign to fan out and be ready to fire. Carlon stalked up to a cluster of ferns and looked at the group they heard. He could see about six people, fisherman by the look of the gear and one or two had some crude guns on them. Should be easy enough. Thumbing the safety off, he took aim. With a crack, one fisherman fell over dead, his head half missing. The other five looked in panic. Two bolted out of sight. Carlon heard two more cracks of gunfire and smiled knowing the Gunny and the Ensign had scored.

The remaining three armed themselves. Two pulled out fishing spears, and the third readied what had to be a musket. The men with spears charged the ferns. Carlon grinned. This was too easy. He thumbed the selector switch from snipe mode to automatic and squeezed the trigger. Bits of fern flew as he pumped out round after round. He heard the sweet sound of bodies hitting the ground.

Carlon began to think of the other guy when the loud boom of black gun powder went off. Something slammed into his kevlar vest and he stumbled back. He put fingers to the gunshot and just grinned. The soft lead ball had flattened and didn't penetrate the kevlar weave. Carlon prepared to move forward when Ammy waved him to stand down.

"He fires any more and any watch group nearby will know something is up. One shot can be misunderstood as someone hunting. Our weapon fire shouldn't be known around here. Let me handle this one." She hissed softly.

Carlon just nodded and waved her on. Ammy approached the ferns and noted the man was quickly reloading the musket. She stepped through the ferns and spoke.

"Set the musket aside and you die quickly." she ordered.

The man worked faster, panicking seeing Ammy.

"Have it your way." she said.

Tattoos flared to life on her skin as she felt the fields of magite on this land. Pulling the energy into her self and filtering it through the hematite tattoos she raised a hand and formed a multitude of metal spikes that hung in the air. A flick of her wrist and she sent the man to a painful death of impalement. He didn't scream as several spiked were lodged in his throat.

Ammy motioned to Carlon that all was clear. The small group reassembled and marched on.