Topic: 13.12.29 - Run Your Life

Lenore Reid

Date: 2014-01-02 17:09 EST
December 29th

Even though Lenore knows she shouldn't get her hopes up that Cris has returned when she hears a knock on the door bright and early Sunday morning, it?s hard not to. All common sense tells her that Cris would not knock to be let into his own room, but maybe he?s tentative about barging in considering the last time they had spoken was so heated. This is what her optimism tries to convince her when she opens the door.

Instead she?s greeted by the increasingly familiar form of Andrew whose tight features pinch even further when face to face with the sight of Lenore, disheveled and sleep deprived with overly bright red rimmed eyes. ?Lenore, what?s happened to you?? He doesn?t even allow her the chance to answer before eyes narrow. ?Where?s the Nephilim?? Andrew, through his own admittance, doesn?t even know what a Nephilim is but all he needs to know is that it was not kindred and in turn did not garner his respect.

?Andrew.? Surprise colors her features and tone. He had left for the holidays to go home to his family and left little detail about when he would be returning. His was the last face she expected to see standing in the hallway. ?I?m alright. He?s not here right now.? She attempts to lift her tone what she could to swerve the conversation towards an easier subject. ?I?m glad to see your travels were safe. Did you enjoy your time away??

?It was alright. I told my Mother and Father about you and it had them excited. They were extremely disappointed you declined my offer to come with for the holidays.?

Her lips twisted into a frown. She?s so new to having relatives and she?s already disappointing them. Quite a talent. ?I had plans already and figured after the time away you would like to spend it with them and them alone.?

?You?ve been away even longer.?

?You speak like it was my own doing.?

?Trust me, Lenore, I know who is to blame for your disappearance.?

His razor sharp smile sent a chill coursing through her blood. ?I trust that you had the courtesy to listen to me and leave my parents be during your return home.?

?You think so ill of me to assume I would run off to defy your very demand concerning the well being of your supposed parents??

?I think so highly of you as a Shape-shifter to assume it would be the first thing on your list, to run off and seek revenge.?

He wasn?t offended by her observation, quite the opposite and he bristled with pride. ?You?re going to make me blush.?

?My parents are alright then??

?There is nothing alright about people who did what they did??

?My parents are alive then??

?For now. I told you, their demise should be handled by your own hands. It?s not my revenge to take.? His smile is playful and teasing, common between cousins Lenore was sure, but it didn?t seem fitting for a conversation about murder and revenge. ?Where is your Nephilim??

?I told you, he?s not here right now.?

?Does he cause you to cry and leave you alone at all hours of the night often??

?He didn?t make me cry.?

?You smell salty and I have eyes, you?ve been crying. Considering your Nephilim finds you to be quite the delicate flower and he is not here to comfort you, the white knight that he is, he must be the cause.?

?I would like to know how you act when you?re wrong about things because so far you seem to think you are always right no matter what I say.?

?I?m unsure. Should it ever happen I promise to let you know.? His hands clasped, fingers steepled at his lips and hazel eyes swung about the dark stretch of room behind her. ?Since you have not invited me in I figure you?re not yet comfortable enough to have me in your?? Home seemed far too generous. ?room.?

?I didn?t say I wasn?t comfortable around you. Why must you jump to such conclusions?? The plus side of Andrew?s visit is that all of the overwhelming sadness she felt throughout the night had quickly been replaced with exasperation.

?You didn?t have to. I?m constantly right, remember? Your own words.? Lenore opens her mouth to protest but he?s already lifting a hand to silence her. ?Do you have somewhere you can go? A friend?s house? I don?t think I can offer you the sort of comfort you need or desire right now, whatever the Nephilim has done to you, but I insist on taking you to someone who can properly look after you.?

Her mouth opened and closed giving her the appearance of a guppy before she manages to speak. ?Stop insisting the Neph- Cris did something to me. Please? Your thoughts might be in the right place but I don?t want to hear it right now.? As much as she wanted to deny his offer on irritation alone she realized it might not be such a bad idea. Sitting around all night on her own didn?t help anything and it was hard to tell when Cris would be returning from his search. ?Constance. I can see if she?s home. I don?t have her number to call.?

?Of course you don?t. Is this lack of phone thing some form of misguided rebellion? Jesus, get a piercing, Lenore.? She stared at him, mystified how he managed to turn everything around on her constantly. ?Come on. Get your things, leave some food for that growling fuzzball on the bed. We?ll get you to Constance and I?ll leave you in her care.? A short pause to consider. ?Unless she?s pretty, then maybe I?ll stick around as well.?

His demands were flying so quickly that she couldn?t even move to begin on them but his final musing made her eyes roll. ?Constance is very beautiful and very taken, Andrew.?

His smile is dry. A small shrug of thin shoulders in a silent what can you do? gesture. ?She?s probably not my type anyway. Get your things, Lenore. It?s time to go.?