Topic: 14.01.01 - Everything & Nothing

Lenore Reid

Date: 2014-01-02 17:37 EST
January 1st

Hand grasping his coat, and the bag, Cris nods his head toward the hearth. "Come, I've something to ask you."

A glance towards the hearth then Lenore?s pushing off the bar and lingering that way. "I think you enjoy prodding at my curiosity to torture me." Sinking onto a couch cushion, legs folding beneath her.

Firelight licks over him the closer he gets to the hearth. Black on white on black, with a network of Mark's down his arm. His sweatshirt had, mysteriously, vanished. Putting his coat and food down, he considers the rest of the seats available, and after a moment's hesitation, sinks down beside Lenore. Having his back to the room put a chill in his blood. He stomached it, and her remarks made it much easier. Chuckles come easy as he coaxes himself into some semblance of relaxation. "Have you spoken to your cousin lately?" even his tone is conversational.

When he settles in by her side she shifts her body closer to his, nose finding his shoulder in a nuzzle and her arm snaking around to catch his elbow. She only stops when he asks his question and by the expression she lifts to him she wasn't expecting that. "Andrew? No. The last time I saw him was before I went to Connie's. He said he was going to check on me but hasn't." Smirks. "He grumbles because I don't have a phone."

Short sleeves allow him the comfort of feeling her skin on his. He turns his arm, the Mark on the inside of his wrist brought to light, covering the delicate mixture of veins and tendons, fingers opening in invitation for her hand. "He's not found you yet?"

Her arm wraps further around his, fingertips sliding along his forearm, to his wrist, into his palm, until her thin fingers lace with his. "Since then? No. He might just be busy. I know he's staying with some local Shape-shifters he came across so who knows? He had told me to call him if I needed him but I didn't so maybe he assumes all is well." Brows knit. "Why do you ask?"

Cigarette to his mouth, he leans a bit into her arm to reach into the depths of his pocket. Scarred fingers wrapped around a cell phone, he passes it to her. "Use mine. He did not find you, so he found me instead. I understand that he's your family, but he's irritating. I'm sorry," tacking that on.

The cellphone is taken with a blink, looking down at it then up to Cris. "You saw Andr-" Jaw drops at his honesty of his opinion of her cousin and it halts the question midway through. It takes a little bit of sputtering for her to get her next question out. "Why would you say that?" He apologized but it doesn't fix her wounded expression.

He was rather honest about most things, except when he wasn't. Brows rise, like he hadn't been expecting that response from her, like she'd only just met Andrew. But he realizes that the face the other Shifter gives his cousin must be different from the face shown to him. "Let me preface this by saying that I did not feel the need to explain myself, nor my actions, to him. Nor will I ever. His discussion with me was mainly to let me know that after he's finished teaching you of your lineage's potential that I, as the criminal that collared you, would be of no consequence."

She looks like she has gotten the wind knocked out of her with a solid punch to the stomach, lips even parting to release a sharp exhale. While her hand stays nestled within his, she straightens in her seat to look at him better. "You don't... have to explain anything to him. There is nothing to explain. I-...Collared me? Was he going on about the collar again? I told him to keep his opinions to himself and that he doesn't understand. That it's not like that and it's something special between us." Free hand reaching up to finger the spikes of said baby blue leather collar. "He said some people try to keep Shape-shifters as pets. I told him it's not like that but I think he just worries. I'm sorry he's not listening." A glance aside to Cris. "I don't understand what that means, you would be of no consequence?"

Reaching at least over the back of the couch to ash the cigarette, he keeps his arm stretched along it, the pad of his thumb running along the cigarette's length. "His intention was to let me know he thinks that I'm beneath you in terms of? well," slight tension in his brow, "us. Honestly, it was a great deal of his desire to let me know what he thought and my neglect to inform him that I did not care."

"Beneath me?" The situation wasn't funny at all but she had to laugh no matter how dry it was. The idea of anyone being beneath her is hilarious. "He's never said anything like that to me." Gaze twitching side to side, searching her memories. "You're... positive he meant all of these things?" Frowning aside at him, fingertips brushing little circles at his knuckles. "I know he can be... blunt now and then. He's capable of coming across poorly, but maybe there is a misunderstanding? When did all of this happen anyhow?"

He might have found the same humor in the situation, judging by the rakish angle of his grin. Though it was something that did not reach his eyes. Flickering firelight turned his studious gaze into stained glass. "Of course he would not say this to you, he's made it known that he wishes to educate you. He can't do that if you think him an a**." One last drag finishes his cigarette. He leans forward to crush it out against his bootheel and set the remains on the table. "Yesterday," belated answer to her question.

"I know he does not keep his high opinion of our kind compared to others a secret..." Putting it ever so lightly. "But I did not expect this, for him to say such things to you. It seems so archaic to think someone is above or beneath you by what they are. It's rude entirely to say someone is beneath you no matter what." Frowning deeply she stares down at the phone in hand. "I'm sorry that you had to deal with that, Cris." Glancing aside at him from beneath her lashes. "You know I would never think anything like that, right? No matter what he tells me, or teaches me, I would never allow that nonsense to color my opinion. Neither of us are above or below one another. We are simply... us."

"His opinion of his kind and my opinion of mine are rather similar, so that I can understand. I suppose I simply have more tact and restraint on my tongue than he does." Taking a quick sip of tea. Glancing aside to her, something in his expression softening a bit. "I know. But I felt it rather useless to let him know that. Yes? If he won't listen to even you, then I've little chance of getting through to him. My breath is better spent on other things."

"Him and I spoke of the collar, but not of all this aside from him telling me how I should not lower myself to function at the level of others. I will speak with him on all of this and tell him that his opinions aren't needed and I don't appreciate them." Her frown deepens and she sinks back further into her seat. "All this time I thought it would be wonderful to have someone around like myself, even better that they're related to me. But all this has made me think is that I'm an awful human on one side and a terrible shape-shifter on the other." Tips her head to meet the back of the couch, staring up at the ceiling with a sigh.

"I think that regardless of your fondness for it, if it causes this much strife, take it off when you're to meet with him. You can always replace it later when you're with me, if you like." Crossing one leg over the other, he runs his thumb along a wrinkle in the denim. "I'm sure that I don't have to tell you this, but I've no desire to hold you down or keep you from discovering those things important to your kind. We're all a product of the lives we've lived. Andrew simply has yet to realize that in a truer sense. Terrible is never a word I'd use to describe you, and I don't believe that you should either."

Lips curl down at the edges in a frown. "It's not that easy. I don't want to have to take it off. It's important to me. I'm thankful that Andrew has gone out of his way to find me, that he wants to teach me about myself and our family, but I don't think I should have to change myself for him." Her legs shift, her body turning towards him to tuck herself further against his side. "No, you don't have to tell me that but I will not tell you to stop." Her smile doesn't come easily from the weight of the conversation and it's rather weak but she aims it up at him. "What word would you use to describe me?" Just a hint of playfulness and she's biting her bottom lip.

"Your fondness for it will not change. If only to save yourself from having to listen to him. Though I suppose that were you to do so, he'd regail you for hours on how delighted he is that you've taken his advice." Half smiling, following the inseam of his jeans to the knee. He tightens his hand around hers, warmed at the gentle press of her lean against him. "Beautiful," answering.

Brows rise. "While I feel like he would take note of the lack of collar I don't know if he would go on about it for hours. Though, I still can't actually imagine him saying any of these things... not entirely. He makes his opinions clear but..." She fades off, thoughtful, wondering about the difference between the Andrew she sees and the Andrew everyone else deals with. Sour thoughts are interrupted with his answer and her smile returns a little brighter. "I like your opinion of me. Lucky for me that yours is the one that truly matters in my eyes."

It wasn't his intention to convince Lenore of anything, only to tell her what happened. And she could take what she would from that. The entire event, at least up until its closure, had been somewhat amusing to him. But much more annoying that he felt the need to listen to it. "And yours in mine. And that's why I find listening to others rather irritating. When you care little for something, the last thing you want is to be smothered in it."

"I will speak with him. Whatever his opinions might be, they are born and bred from how he was raised and was told about Shape-shifters. I did not have that and I will not have it forced upon me no matter how good the intentions are. He is blood but... blood has not been kind to me so far in my life." His phone still in hand is tucked into her pocket. "But not tonight. It's late. And when you care greatly for something, the thing you want most of all is to be smothered by it." It's with this odd little prompt that she lifts her body and turns to drape herself across his lap, trying to make herself as heavy as possible even if it doesn't do much. "Or rather, when you care about someone you want to smother them." Wriggling in place, apparently smothering, with a chuckle.

Smile curling on his mouth. He'd told Andrew as much, and he'd been certain he was right, but hearing it repeated from Lenore's own lips soothes his pride. When she moves, so does he, holding his hands up in surrender as she slithers her way over his lap. That, more than anything, eased the last clinging traces of anxiety about having his back to a wide open room. One palm for her hip, the other for her head. "What is it that he thinks he can teach you about yourself?"

"He says I am more than everyone around me and it would serve me well to act like it." Lips purse. "When I repeat the things he says or think them in my head they sound much harsher than when he says them. But... I don't know. We haven't talked about it much. In his eyes I seem to have some great misunderstanding of what it means to be a Shape-shifter and he would like to help with that. I have asked him to help me control my abilities, but he called it hiding." With a shift of her thin body she tucks herself further against him within his grasp and presses a kiss to one of the trailing runes crawling out of the collar of his shirt.

He can imagine the tone that Andrew uses; gentle, earnest, pleading. Slight narrowing of his eyes at the flames. Blood was thick, kindred bonds were sometimes thicker, but that may not be all this was. Why, after all this time, would Andrew's only concern be to teach her of her abilities? Should he not wish to get to know her? Tell her of her family, tell her of himself? "I thought you had most of your abilities under control...?" pensive, quiet. She takes up all that he can see and he leans back into the headrest of the couch as she settles against his throat.

"Most.. yes." Replying to him without bothering to tip her head back so her breath is warm against his neck. "But... I still feel like I could improve in how I handle myself. And maybe I do have capabilities I'm unaware of. Maybe I've only scratched the surface of what I can do." Andrew would agree with her but her pondering on the subject comes from a much more innocent and curious place. After a kiss to the other Rune on his throat she's rolling off his lap to her feet, a swift and smooth movement that leaves her standing in front of him holding a hand out to him. "Come upstairs?" Wiggling her fingers. "We can still talk, but I have some affection I would like to shower you with."

"That's not hiding, that's smart." Fighting to keep his eyelids from closing as gooseflesh prickles along his neck, over his collarbone. "Having strength is only half of what's important, the other half is knowing what to do with it. If you don't, you'll leave yourself open to manipulation..." Feeling the absence of her warmth when she rises, his smile as languid as the movements of her body. "I doubt we'll do much talking then. You've the ability to make words obsolete." It takes some time, but he follows her to his feet, collecting his coat and the slightly soggy bag of take-out on the way.

?I don't think Andrew believes he could ever be manipulated. Or that anyone could ever get the better of him. Him and I will speak more indepth about it all. As I said, he has been staying with local Shape-shifters and... I think he might prefer their company over mine for now." Smirking dryly and shrugging, her hand finding the crook of his elbow to lead him to the stairs. "Honestly, I have no intentions of talking but I did not want to seem like I was cutting off our conversation too harshly. I am glad you made me aware of Andrew." Glancing aside at him. "But now I have other plans for your mouth." Looking ahead with a devilish grin. "Words won't be needed, no."

"I didn't mean Andrew, I meant you." That thought was still lingering in the back of his mind, the cause of his frown even though her plans for the rest of their early morning made it drastically hard to keep up. Ducking his head, though that does nothing to hide his sudden grin, he falls in step beside her, scratching at a bit of leather in the collar of his coat. "You've my permission to cut me off whenever you like."

"Oh..." Brows knit, contemplating the word manipulation that stuck out so harshly to her. It was something to ponder but her thoughts keep coming back to the warm body of the Nephilim trailing up the stairs beside her until they reach their door and she's unlocking it. "Oh, that's funny. You think I need permission." Another sugary sweet sly smile for him and she's stepping into the room leaving the door open behind her for him to follow.

?No, you don't. But now we'll be able to skip the niceties. Yes?" Anticipation had mounted after each upward step until the chill of the room upstairs was not entirely a product of the open window. The solid promise of darkness kickstarts his pulse and he takes it upon himself to close the door at his back.

((Thank you to Crispin))