Topic: 14.01.18 - Introduction to Destruction

Lenore Reid

Date: 2014-01-19 03:04 EST
January 18th

Knocking. She hears knocking, but she?s much too fuzzy to figure out where it?s coming from. It won?t stop.

When Lenore?s eyes open she?s staring up at the ceiling of her room. The bed beside her is cold and lacking Cris? warmth but there?s a distinct weight vibrating with purrs settled on her chest. Two more sharp knocks land on the door that make her groan and carefully shift the cream point himalayan cat onto the mattress next to her despite his growls of protest. ?Hang on!?

It?s still so foreign for her to have to answer the door. Usually the only bodies that come in and out of the room are herself or Cris. Sometimes Nicholas when he?s attempting to make a daring escape. Where is Cris anyway? Probably out walking. Possibly the teashop. Taking in the city and solitude, so similar to Lenore?s needs for the same things now and then so she?s not inclined to question it.

She?s not sure who could be knocking on their door this late at night. Constance is the only person that really comes to mind. It is late, isn?t it? She has no clock but moonlight streams into the darkened room from the window over the little wooden desk. She pauses at the door with her hand on the knob to release a final wide mouthed yawn before tugging it open.

?What is it, four steps from your bed to the door? How could it possibly take that long to answer it??

The cool voice, biting words, and shock of bright blonde hair on the too tall, too lanky form instantly shake the lingering bits of sleep from her. ?Andrew??

?I?m not going to dignify that with an answer.? He glances over her head easily enough thanks to the difference in height. ?Your Nephilim isn?t home. May I come in??

?You could at least pretend to be normal and ask those sorts of things instead of stating what you know from scent alone.? She exhales a teasing sigh through a weak smile, relieved to see the familiar face.

Yet again he has no response for that. Already thin lips press together tighter, the threat of something much darker lingering in his expression. She realizes too late she probably shouldn?t have said something about being normal but it?s saying something that he?s attempting to refrain from snapping at her.

?I?m glad to see you, Andrew, honestly. Come in.? Stepping back the door opens wider to allow him to sweep past her and it?s after she closes the door that she flips the rarely used switch to turn on the abrasive overhead lighting of the room. It doesn?t make Andrew bat a lash as he takes his time analyzing what little is before him in the modest room but Lenore winces, not used to the brightness.

?I didn?t think I was going to see you again. I left you? a few voicemail messages. I?m not sure if you got them. The last time I called, your phone was shut off.? Her slim torso is covered by a chunky knit black sweater, thin arms lost within the sleeves folding awkwardly over her chest. ?I almost thought the two were related? like maybe you did it on purpose because you didn?t want to see me??

Andrew rolls his eyes but it?s hard to tell what is getting that reaction out of him. Either it?s the pitiful explanation from his own flesh and blood or it?s Nicholas who is now at his side, elevated enough by the bed that he can reach Andrew?s hand to slash claws at it and nip his knuckles with sharp teeth. Andrew?s hand swipes aside at the cat dismissively.

?I heard your voicemail messages and I got my number changed to save you the embarrassment of having anymore pathetic audio displays captured for all eternity.? A snarl brims from behind Andrew?s teeth but it?s not meant for Lenore. It doesn?t seem like he?s interested in wasting much energy or emotion on her right now but Nicholas? incessant clawing at Andrew?s hand and growling earned the reaction.

?I? What?? Thick lips part in surprise even though she?s not sure how she still manages to be surprised when Andrew says something so thoughtless. ?They weren?t pathetic displays. I was apologizing to you. I was telling you I?m sorry-?

?Yes, sorry. You?re a sorry excuse for a Shape-shifter but I will give you at least some credit for being remotely intelligent to a degree. Maybe.? Andrew?s hand swats at Nicholas with the intentions of knocking the cat backwards. Really, if he would move two steps from the bed it wouldn?t be an issue but even Lenore knows, as failing as she apparently is as a Shape-shifter, it?s more about territory than anything. ?Something you said really stuck out to me, Lenore.?

?Nicholas, cut it out.? She feels the cat has more sense to stop the fight than Andrew does, especially with the ice in his voice. ?What did I say?? This reunion already isn?t going how she had planned. All those days of imagining their face to face reconciliation, a new beginning for them as family members. This isn?t it at all and she?s regretting that she put so much time into getting Andrew to stay in RhyDin even if it only involved a few phone calls.

Another quick bat of his pale hand at Nicholas only managed to make the cat hiss and spit louder. ?The one time you actually stood up for yourself against someone and it only took you a matter of days to blame it all on yourself. I didn?t even have to say anything to you. You?re so weak that you managed to talk yourself out of your stand and come crawling back to me and I didn?t even have to lift a finger.?

She could feel her chest deflating with every word he spoke and she?s positive at some point he?s going to strike a nerve so hard that she?s going to shatter. She?s going to crumple, it?s not going to be a pretty sight, and it will only give him even more ammunition to use against her. ?I assumed I was being loyal.? Her voice cracks and she?s mentally damning the lighting above that would make it obvious his words have wounded her. ?I thought we were supposed to stick together and I was attempting to make amends for what I said to you. I didn?t mean it.?

?No, Lenore. Don?t say that. As I mentioned, you made a very wise declaration and I intend to follow through.?

Nothing about this was funny and yet she laughs. She laughs humorlessly through the tears and brushes them from her cheeks as they began to fall freely. ?What did I say? To leave? That you bring out the worst in me? What??

Nicholas has been winding up for quite the attack while Andrew was distracted but when he makes his leap from the bed to catch Andrew?s unsuspecting hand he?s in for a surprise. Quick as can be Andrew snatches up the cat mid-flight and brings him around using the little fluffball?s own momentum to hug him to his chest. It?s so quick and Lenore only has enough time to process that perhaps Andrew is going to hold Nicholas to keep him from fighting as she and Cris have done so many times before, but the thought is barely put together when reality sets in.

Andrew?s other hand crosses over Nicholas? head and? it?s nothing to him. It?s like snapping a brittle stick from the winter sidewalk, the jerking motion he makes and the sickening crack that follows. That?s all it takes, just a second... not even that... and all the spitting and hissing comes to a stop leaving the white himalayan still and lifeless within Andrew?s grasp.

?You told me to consider you dead and that we would all be better for it. I think you?re right.?

His words still manage to be so calm, cool, and collected but they?re lost amongst the gut wrenching scream of anguish that spills from Lenore.

Lenore Reid

Date: 2014-01-19 03:28 EST
Her scream ends but only because her throat suddenly becomes too dry and raw to prolong it. Her body sinks heavily back against the door behind her and weeping rattles her entire body. ?What did you do!??

?I again refuse to dignify such an obvious question with an answer.? His hand still wrapped around Nicholas? lifeless body draws the cat out from his chest and drops it with a sick thump on the floor between them. ?If I didn?t do it someone else was going to. Vile creature. Never have been much of a fan of cats.? He makes a face and fakes a shudder.

Even through her crying the distinct snap and click of bone radiate off Lenore preempting a shift but before she can manage anything a spidery hand comes down on her hair, tangling itself in blue locks and making her lurch to her feet. ?Oh no you don?t! If you shift I?m going to sit here patiently and wait for your Nephilim to come home and the moment he does I?m going to snap his neck just like I did with that other pet of yours.? It?s with a jerk of his hand that Lenore?s head lurches back, hair long enough to give her the length to crack her skull against the wood before he reels her back towards him. ?On second thought, maybe you should do it. I?ll gladly take an excuse to get his blood on my hands no matter how badly it smells.?

While Andrew never came across as being much bigger than her aside from his height, he definitely has strength on his side over her. She?s not sure how that translates to Andrew versus Cris in a fight but she refuses to let either of them find out on her account. With a reluctant pop her shifting comes to an end leaving her without options face to face with the maniac. ?I don?t understand why you?re doing this.? If he thought her previous displays were pathetic they were no match for the strained croak in her voice now. ?I thought we were supposed to be family? we?re supposed to be kindred? you can?t honestly mean any of this...?

?Haven?t you ever heard that a family is only as strong as its weakest link?? The more emotional and overwhelmed her voice got, the quieter and more deadly his became. ?You could have been great, Lenore. I honestly believe that, I only wish we would have gotten to you sooner. I?ll forever enjoy the last looks Lawrence and Gail had on their faces before their untimely demise, but it wasn?t until afterward that I realized I really should have dragged out their suffering. They ruined you with their antics and left you utterly unfixable.?

Her head swims and she?s reached the point where she can?t tell what the cause is. Either it?s the death of her cat whose body is at her feet, the growing knot of impact she can feel radiating at the back of her head, or the flurry of information being launched her way too quickly to comprehend concerning her own impending death and the death of others. ?My parents-?

?Are no more. You can live your life however you would like? enjoy these last few minutes without blood on your hands? but ultimately that wasn?t your decision no matter how I presented it. They were pathetic excuses for human beings and even worse is that they carried the name of my family. It wasn?t for you. It was for me.? He gives her shake, rattling her even more than her sobs did. Who would have thought she would cry over the loss of her parents, as terrible as they were to her. ?Yet you shed tears for them. Not a single one for me when you stomped out of that teashop like a child hoping to never see me again, but for them? This is going to be for me as well. Weeding out the weak. Being a Skinwalker wasn?t my intention this time around after the last unfortunate failure, but I suppose that will be my reward for strengthening our numbers. You told me to focus on you now, as is, without any growth or change and well, I realize now that could very well become a reality and I can?t allow you to carry on our name. Or worse, call yourself a Shape-shifter amongst the rest of us.?

?You can?t?? She?s breathing heavily and the room spins around her. She said he can?t but when has she ever said anything that sunk into Andrew?s head? This is it. This is how it will all end. Maybe he would snap her neck like Nicholas. Maybe he would dispose of them both before Cris returned. Maybe he would make it seem like Lenore simply up and left on a whim with the cat in tow. Cris would be devastated, maybe hate her, but he wouldn?t have to deal with another person he knows dying and that actually manages to soothe her to some degree when the face of death has eyes maliciously mirroring her own.

?I don?t like being told I can?t, Lenore. You must realize this by now despite your shortcomings.? The forefinger of his free hand reaches out, poking a finger to her forehead to add injury to insult.

?Do it then!? She snaps the words at him using every last bit of strength she could to pull herself up on her own accord rather than being held by her hair. ?Do it now! Get it over with! You?re not the first one to try to kill me, end it and be the last!? She can?t believe the words coming out of her mouth and Andrew actually manages to look a little surprised as well. She refused to be the chew toy in his little game. She would not give him the satisfaction.

?You?re not even making this any fun.? Disappointment ringing in his words. ?Have you given up on living that easily, Lenore? What a shame. I guess I?ll still have to stick to my Plan B and wait for your Nephilim to arrive. I bet he?ll put up quite the fight when he sees your body laying lifeless in bed.? A point aside. ?Maybe your head on the desk? An arm in the bathroom? a foot in your boot... Have to make sure what they say about cats and their nine lives isn?t true.?

She feels muddled with confusion, too much emotion, too much pain, and not enough possibilities. Lost, sinking, and then all at once something snaps within her. She can?t be sure how it happened, when, how quickly. One second her and Andrew were only connected by the hold he has on her hair. The next thing she knows her hand is buried deep within his throat.

Lenore Reid

Date: 2014-01-19 03:50 EST
It?s hard to make out the shape of her hand... is that still her hand? Difficult to say with blood gushing out of Andrew?s throat in a steady stream over her knuckles, down to her wrist and soaking into the fabric of her sweater cuff. She could only really see the top of her thumb since it isn?t sunken into his skin. Where her pristine little harmless human nails had once been was something much more dangerous. Thicker knuckles, longer bones, strings of muscle, and it?s when Andrew sinks to his knees in front of her freeing her with a squishy tearing of flesh that she realizes she is wielding a handful of claws like she never imagined. Like some sort of hybrid between human and lion coated in a sticky layer of thick blood with bits of meat and muscle dangling off them.

Andrew sways on his knees, eyes wide and glassy staring up at Lenore. Everytime he tries to speak it comes out as gurgling causing even more blood to pour down the front of him.

?Andrew...? The way she says his name is apologetic yet she doesn?t make a move to bring herself down to his level or to help him. Her hand is held aloft, dripping in his blood which glistens in the fluorescent lighting. ?I?ll tell your parents you were brave when they find me... And the others.? Because this could not, would not, be the end. She?s not naive enough to believe that.

Andrew?s body sinks to the side, falling with a similar but much louder sound compared to the dead cat he?s sprawling beside. Lenore stands by, shaking yet watching. Didn?t she owe him that much? For someone to watch the end of him. Maybe she deserves it, to have his golden eyes latched onto hers and to watch the life drain out of them until he went perfectly still. She deserves having that image burned into the back of her eyeballs.

The room somehow manages to echo with death. Who knew that death could make such a sound? Maybe it?s the opposite and it?s actually devouring all notes of life that pass over the two bodies laid out on the floor.

Lenore is silent as the grave motionlessly picking up the shattered parts of herself that lay all around and piecing them back together. Perhaps if she leaves the room for just a little she can clear her head and return with a plan of action of what she?s going to do.

Now that she thinks about it, she really needs some fresh air. Her body always gave off a certain amount of heat compared to a human but she feels likes she was actually sweating causing her sweater and skirt to stick to her skin.

Her stomach rebels next. She hadn?t eaten much at all today but it doesn?t stop the dry heaves that wrack her body to the core causing her to double over. Hands wrap her convulsing abdomen and she can feel it beneath her fingertips which thankfully returned to their usual innocence at some point. Pale skin ripples like the surface of a lake being broken by stones skipping across it.

In her head she knows she?s not attempting to shift. She doesn?t want to. She?s not even concentrating on it. But her body fights back giving into the urge on its own. No fur, no hooves, no paws or claws. It?s hard to tell what?s happening to her without a mirror to look at but she?s well aware that it hurts and she wants it to stop.

The blood comes next. Bright red passing through her lips, down her chin and neck in a morbid fountain staining her skin and soaking her sweater. It spews forward mingling with tears, screams, pain, relief, confusion, fear. It all attacks her senses at once and overwhelmed she finally shuts down.

One moment her entire body feels like it?s against her and the next she is consumed by welcomed darkness.

Lenore Reid

Date: 2014-01-19 19:24 EST
Late nights always brought back the promise of cupcakes, and this night was no different. Cris had his nightcap tea for the evening and headed up the stairs at an easy pace. Nothing about his demeanor suggested he was looking forward to relaxing. From his boot he pulls his stele. Reaching the door, he etches a swift rune and the door pops open. The lack of a disgruntled yowl must mean Nicholas was asleep in a ball, hiding somewhere in the sheets until he decided to lay down too. Bright light spewed like the high noon sun, deepening his frown and the first thing he sees on the floor is the garish spill of blood. Bodies and limbs like kindling. Pale dead skin, muddied fur and matted blue. Cupcakes and his stele hit the floor when he darts forward to reach Lenore. He puts his hand on her shoulder, feeling for warmth. Cold fingers slide to her neck, searching out the beat of her pulse beneath her jaw. "Lenore... Lenore, can you hear me?" Swift, near frantic look shot to Andrew's fallen body and the wad of fur he could only assume was the cat, too still to be asleep.

Lenore had no sense of time when it came to how long she had been laying on the floor. At no point did she awaken or even come close to it. After the unbearable pain and spill of blood she had fallen into absolute nothingness and she wanted so badly to stay wrapped within it as long as possible. Nothing weighed on her, nothing worried her, and nothing hurt. It's with the call of a familiar voice that her inky black sanctuary unravels, being pulled at the seams little by little then all at once. Her eyes open sharply shining a brighter gold than usual, perhaps from unshed tears. Thick stained lips part to welcome a deep inhale only to be cut off by chunks of blood getting caught in her throat. Her body lurches to the side, hacking stray clots onto the floor and into the pillow of blue hair beneath her. It all mingles with sticky sweat covering hot skin that managed to be even paler than usual. The coughing continues, interrupted sporadically with a few dry heaves that thankfully don't give way to more blood. It's when she actually manages a clear breath only slightly obstructed with a rasp that she can reply. "...Cris?" The pain and memories she had been gifted to forget for a short amount of time roll back over her in great crashing waves leaving her shaking, at the edge and ready to break down all over again.

The scrape of her inhale startles him, gaze like broken shards of stained glass wide, sharp and alert. He pulls at her shoulder to aid her sideways roll, his hand at her back rhythmically thudding along her spine in time to her coughs. He waits until she can breathe at least a bit freely, one palm sweeping along the side of her face to clear her temple of sweat and matted caribbean blue. Sharply, he throws another look to the two corpses sharing the floor with her. "Yes. It's me. Can you tell me if you're hurt anywhere, or in any pain?" It should not be so easy for him to prioritize, to take stock of a horrid situation and ascertain what needed to be done first---but he was no normal, nor simple, man. This, as much as it would shock others to admit, was something he had dealt with before. "Don't try to get up just yet. I'm here, you're alive. Focus on that, yes?"

Her head tilts into his hand wanting to stalk his touch and keep contact but incapable of following through with the action. She hears his question and is able to process it but it takes a few more moments to remember how to piece her response together even if it comes out weak. "I'm not hurt." Wanting to assure him of that much. Needing to confirm it for herself because it's true. She's not hurt, so why is there so much blood? "I'm not? but my insides feel..." Another round of dry heaves and coughing come up clean. He mentions that she's alive and it's that word that makes her focus stray to everything that had happened and everything that it meant now, all of it coming down around her like a pile of bricks. "They're dead, Cris." Breathing out the words her head turns trying to look past him and to the bodies she knows are laying stone cold not far from where she is. "They're dead... They're dead..." Words repeated in a useless chant that only accomplishes making her near tears fall and pool at the corners of her eyes.

Clearly, her insides did not feel right. Kneeling in blood, it soaks wetly into his jeans, smearing the tooled leather of his boots but somehow not looking wrong there. Attention shifts sideways when hers does and it's after her third repetition that he moves his hand to catch her cheek, to firmly force her gaze back to his own. "Don't look. Don't look at them, Lenore. We will take care of them in a moment, I swear to you, but first we need to take care of you. You understand? Can you stand with me?"

She doesn't have it in her to fight when he turns her face to his and it's when her still too bright golden eyes catch his green that the distraught repetition of words comes to an end. "Cris..." She only gets out his name but she's nodding in agreement. She understands. She thinks she can stand. One hand is covered in more dried blood than the other and that's the one that comes up to rest over his, pressing his palm further against her cheek and soaking in his touch before she has to begin what feels like a neverending process to rise to her feet. "Cris-" His name breaks off this time and is replaced with the all too familiar cracking and snapping of bone, skin rippling under his touch and radiating out. Her hand wraps around his and the process she claimed was pain free not long ago wrenches an ear piercing scream from her lips. There is no fur, no scales, and no real shift in size except a gentle expansion of pale skin that just barely gets touched with a somewhat livelier complexion. Blue hair retreats and darkens to wet chestnut brown and it's only after the scream ends and leaves her panting that frosted green eyes flare to life to stare up at him into their identical counterparts. Where Lenore had been laying mere moments ago was a mirror image of Cris, covered in sweat and blood and grasping his own hand. "I want it to stop..." The voice is just as weak as before but deeper, ragged yet a perfect imitation.

"Yes. Yes..." Repeats the word after every time she says his name, until she chokes and her scream buries like knives up to the hilt into his ears. He starts to put his arm round her to catch her, but retreats, hearing the snap-crunch too close. His hand drops from her face and all he can do is stare on in horror at his own skin, his own hair, his own gaze. His own voice. All like a nightmarish mirror. Was that really what he looked like, he sounded like? He did not ever want to hear his own voice with that much agony and terror again. He looks to his hand, sheathed in a blood soaked replica. He'd asked her if she could stand but he was no longer certain that he could.

((Thank you to Crispin))

Lenore Reid

Date: 2014-01-19 19:44 EST
Eyes close and her head hangs forward from her slouched position, taking the time to breathe deeply now that whatever attack that had come over her seemed to be finished. It's the easiest she's been able to inhale for a while now and the first time that she hasn't been on the verge of vomiting. A few more deep breaths are taken and on the final one she lifts her face to meet his, her green gaze on his. She's ready to tell him that she thinks she'll be okay but the way he's looking at her, that expression like she's never witnessed before on him turned in her direction; it makes her whither in place. "I'm oka-" She cuts herself off. Something isn't right. "I'm alrigh-." No, that's not right. A hand lifts to cover her mouth and a cough even though manners really should be long gone considering the mess that looms around them. Fingers are thin and pale, foreign and familiar all at the same time. She sits up straighter suddenly and the hand is drawn out to sit mid-air in front of her, the one holding Cris' following to do the same. She stares down at her hands, his hands, rotating them to display the familiar thin scars along knuckles and the black etched eye staring back. Panic begins to overtake her again. "What is happening to me? What is happening!?" Blood soaked hands are turned out to him. "These aren't mine!" They grasp at her too thick throat. "This isn't my voice! What is happening?"

He can do nothing but watch. Watch---his own hand move his own hand, watching himself look upon...himself in awe and confusion. The same Marks, the same scars, even the one across the bridge of his nose, a bit off center and darker than his skin tone. Eyes, mouth, brow, frown. He did not know what to make of this any more than she did. ...But it was clearly a shift. She'd changed because she was upset over the deaths of Andrew and Nicholas. But to shift into him... There was time to figure that all out later. "I don't know..." croaking. His voice gets stronger the more he repeats it until like a firm clap it shakes the room. He puts his hands onto Lenore's shoulders, his eyes closed so that he can try to see her instead of himself as he gives her a firm shake. "I don't know. But we will figure it out... Yes? The bathroom. Come, let's get you cleaned up first. You need to calm yourself so you can tell me what happened." He feels his own spare muscle as he searches for her hands for the second attempt to draw her to her feet.

He says he doesn't know repeatedly and each time it hits her hard, beating her down until the Cris replica is folded like a broken ragdoll, shoulders trying to curl in on themselves in hopes of vanishing before they're grasped and shaken. "Yes... yes." The one strong voice countered by another which doesn't sound anywhere close to being as sure. Scar and Rune covered hands join and lace and this time around it's a much easier task for her to rise to her feet without doom and blood emitting from the pit of her stomach. Once steady on her feet it's clear that Lenore has even gained a few inches to meet Cris in height. This only adds to the absurdity of the thin black jeans covering his legs that don't reach his ankles but the sweater that usually is so oversized on Lenore?s waif-life frames manages to fit this new form rather comfortably. She knows she shouldn't, he told her not to, but green eyes flicker to the mess nearby, Andrew and Nicholas covered in blood and distorted. "Oh God." The body might be Cris', the voice might be his too, but the mannerisms are all Lenore as she presses trembling scarred fingers to her lips.

It was absurd. Awkward, odd, extremely abnormal. All of those things. To pull at himself like he was strong and direct himself toward the bathroom. He has to turn her to steer her around Nicholas, step over Andrew's splayed legs, but he comes up behind her to stop her from seizing up or suddenly refusing to go on. Even the look she gives the bodies is countered by a firm hand stained with sticky red ichor, to push her head down. "Don't. Just keep moving. Go. Go, go, go," like he's leading a charge. The moment she steps over the threshold to the bathroom, he shoulders in behind her and closes the door at his back with a snap.

She makes a sound of rebellion out of habit when he's nudging her along but too smooth steps carry the replica into the bathroom, directly to the sink and mirror while Cris handles the door. She doesn't make a sound, she doesn't want to. While she's always enjoyed Cris' voice she doesn't like hearing it come from her mouth. What she sees in the mirror, well, it's what she assumed she would be faced with but it's only here and now that the reality sets truly in. Rather than focusing on the stain of blood from bottom lip to down her neck she's poking at her lips and nose, tugging her hair, brushing fingertips along stubble. All of these things she knew because of countless hours of study but they were all wrong because they were being worn by her. "I don't understand..." Wincing at the sound of her own voice before looking to Cris. "I can't do this..."

As she admires or criticizes her own face, he shucks his coat at the door, drawing the towels and washrags from the racks on the wall and he passes behind her to get to the bathtub, a hard pull causing a fountain of steaming water to thunder to life. He avoids her gaze, focused on his task. All of it was to the end of calming her enough to get her to shift back. "Unfortunately, your ability, or lack thereof, to do anything does not matter. For it will not stop it from happening. Not now. Sit?" Nodding to the side of the tub. He puts the stopper in the drain.

"How can you be so calm!?" The question is shrill and sounds off coming out of his mouth in his voice. While that should very well propel her towards unraveling even further she grasps desperately at the front of her sweater, shoulders rolling as she attempts to calm down. She doesn't want to be stuck like this, she doesn't want to sound like him when she speaks. "I'm sorry." Even before he has a chance to reply to the errant question. Barefeet pad along to carry her closer and she turns to ease herself onto the edge of the bathtub. She can't even make sense enough to help him along in his journey to clean her up but she looks at him, green on green, pliable and willing to cooperate.

Stomaching a flinch, obvious only in the way that his eyes close for a moment until he's certain his expression is under control. He takes one of the washrags from the pile of laundry he'd gathered and wets it in the hot water. By the time he's of the mind to answer her, the moment is too long past. "Take off your sweatshirt? Any clothes that've been dirtied..." He sits next to her on the edge of the tub, his attention studiously turned to the rising water.

She flinches similar to how he had just done at his request. She personally has nothing that could be considered modesty within her and is close enough with Cris that she doesn?t blush at the sight of him in any state of undress but under these new circumstances? Something about it made her hesitate and wait far too long to follow the request. Eventually she gives in, scar covered hands gathering the hem of the black sweater and peeling it off, pausing here and there when fabric sticks to skin by way of dry blood. It's dropped on the ground leaving behind streaks of blood on her chest, neck, face, hands, and hair. "Just the sweater." The pants might have some blood on them but she doesn't check, they're not coming off either way. The big toe of her foot drags along the tile floor, hands folding in her lap. A large sigh expands pale rune marked skin and on the exhale deflates. A few more quiet beats of looking straight ahead then that frosted green gaze meets its match.

There was nothing to do but wait until she turned her head to look at him once more. This time he meets her gaze. Because he has to, and nothing more, but he can't stop the wandering of his eyes over her, his, body. Every plane, every angle, every notch and Mark and scar. He can see the network of slices littering her back, clawing through a large rune between her shoulder blades. He wets the washcloth and reaches for her, his, face, to scrub the rust red out of pepper dark stubble and away from full lips, their mirror now caught in a tight frown. This must be the feeling that others experienced with younger siblings. "Start at the beginning. I thought that Andrew had left town. We both thought that." Without harder scrubbing, he wouldn't be able to get all the blood off. But he'll leave that to her later.

She can't stay entirely still, fingers and feet fidgeting although she manages to keep head and shoulders in place for the most part beneath the washcloth. It's easier to focus on his face, his eyes, and his expression. If she doesn't look down at herself it's almost possible to forget what she looks like. "He wasn't taking my calls and the last time I tried his phone was shut off. I thought he was gone. I assumed he was doing exactly what I told him to and leaving." Her lips, his lips, turn downward to match his frown perfectly. "But he showed up, he knew you weren't home and wanted to come in. He..." Her head drops, impossible to stop even if it only makes his job harder. "He said I sounded pathetic in the voicemails I left for him. Begging and already falling back on the first stand I've taken. He was wound right when he got here. And..." A distinct sniffle. "Nicholas wouldn't leave him alone."

As she spoke, as he listened, he tilted her chin up and scrubbed at the Marked, stubble scratched through before him. The remnants of an Idris accent caressed his ears, soothing something in him even though it was his own damnable voice he was listening to. This was the most awkward situation he had been in in a long, long time. It's only when she looks down that he lowers his hand, the pink cloth and waits, jaw tight after he listens to himself sniff. "What happened to Nicholas?"

"It was awful, Cris." Both hands lift, rough and calloused pressed against her face, his features. Majority of the blood was dried but it still undid some of Cris' handiwork with the washcloth. She didn't care. Her head bowed, shoulders shaking. "He snapped his neck. Twisted it like it was nothing, dropped him on the floor like he was nothing." Any calm she had managed was quickly coming undone the more she spoke, not fitting for the Nephilim's voice. "I was going to shift but he stopped me. He told me if I did he was going to wait for you and... and..." Her back arched further dipping her face deeper into her hands, the usual pops of thin pale skin and vertebrae replaced by his marks and scars.

There was little he could do with her face buried in her hands, his own hands. He grips the washrag in his fingers, wet and pink with her blood and the worried flesh of scrubbing. It was hard not to feel as if her pain was not his, hearing his own broken voice, wondering if it was not really he who was saying this. Mourning the death of a cat he barely knew or liked. "What happened next?" It was better not to dwell. Keep the forward momentum.

((Thank you to Crispin))

Lenore Reid

Date: 2014-01-19 22:17 EST
She hears the question but it's impossible to tell since she doesn't move. It might seem like she's going to ignore him and would much rather wallow in her sadness over the loss of the grumpy cream point. Suddenly she replies, low and into her palms. "He said it was getting rid of the weakest link in our family. He said my parents left me... unfixable." She had managed to say those words calmly, but when she lifted her head again, green seeking out green. "He killed my parents, Cris. He lied." She's not sure where all of these tears for her parents were coming from after all of these years, after everything they did, but they came forward freely. "He said... he said..." Air is being taken in great big panicked gulps, another wave of coughing following that she releases into the cup of her hands

Forearms to knees, so like the man now sitting next to him. Two sides of one coin, the stoic and the vulnerable. Listening, a muscle works in his temple as he grinds his teeth. Weakest link, unfixable... If he killed Nicholas, and meant to kill her afterward---that would explain the scene he had walked in on. She coughs and sips on air and he leaves the washrag behind to fill the glass lingering on the edge of the sink with fresh, cold water. He holds it out to her, though for all her effort of attempting to meet his gaze, he keeps his eyes trained down on the floor between their feet. Bare and booted.

The plus side is that she isn't coughing up blood anymore. It's not much of a plus side but it's something all things considered. A shaking hand reaches out to take the glass once this latest fit is finished and it's then she realizes how pointedly he's not looking at her. "I'm sorry... I can't make it stop right now. I'm trying... sort of. I can't focus or calm myself down enough." The fact it makes him so uneasy only helps to keep her on edge, a vicious circle. Her entire body lurches now and then with stuttering exhales and stray wheezing sounds between small sips of water.

"Don't be." Though he thought the reality of his avoidance was obvious only to him. Exhaling, he mentally gathers all of his discomfort. His fear, his shame and his weakness, and he puts it away behind a door that slams shut in the depths of his eyes. Crouching down before her, he reaches to take the glass from her and set it aside on the floor, then offers her his hands, palm up. Across the right are the silvery lines of a faded Mark. "Let me show you something... Put your wrists in my hands. Grasp mine as I will yours. Yes?"

"I am. I don't want to do this to you... whatever this is." It felt invasive, unlike any sort of shift she had experienced before and for him to be her first victim she mirrored his discomfort along with everything else. Green eyes follow him closely and she releases the glass to him then stares down at his hands. It takes a little for her to process the instructions, even longer to get her body to cooperate to follow them, but eventually she gets her wrists into his hands and lightly wraps thin scarred fingers around his wrists. "Yes?" Brows rising in question but she keeps her gaze directed down at their joined hands.

"You're doing nothing to me. Not of your own accord." He takes hold of her wrists, over the Gift Marks along the delicate tendons, grasping Deflect, his thumb near Soundless. The runic eye looked up at him, unblinking. "Close your eyes. Lower your head until you feel the pull in the muscles of your neck. And then I want you to breathe." Subtle shift to put him on his knees before her. "Anything you feel... Any sickness, discomfort, any pain. Whenever you feel these things, you will hold onto me, as tight as you can. It will let you know that I am here. And that I will not let go. Do you understand?"

Lips work against themselves roughly, not sure if she agrees with him but not wanting to fight him on it either. She prefers to focus on his instructions. Eyelids droop shut, head tilting forward although the safe haven of the blue curtain is no more. Rune and scar riddled skin expands with a deep inhale and contracts with an even longer exhale. Her hold on him tightens, echoing his strength rather than her own, wanting that assurance he's here that he promises and receiving it just like he says. Her head bobs slowly, the words confirming a moment later. Small but lacking the whirlwind of emotion. "Yes, I understand."

"Simply breathe." Deja vu of a tea shop and a hypnotized girl leapt at him from the depths of his memory. When he attempted it, his voice could run smooth as water, low in tone, barely loud enough to escape a whisper. "Nothing exists but my hands, my voice, and the breaths you take in and out. Not anything that happened before I arrived, nor anything that will happen afterward. Only now."

More deep breaths in and slow exhales outward. Everytime her body jerks with an uncontrollable sniffle or flood of emotion ready to go awry she did as she's told and held onto him tighter. She wants to tell him again she understands, some sort of vocal confirmation, but her tongue is thick and refuses to cooperate. So instead she focuses on the now, on him, the thud of his heartbeat she can catch between words, and she gives another small nod while willing everything that clung to her like dirt on a window pane to fall away.

He did not seem to need it. His gaze locked on the seam between porcelain and tile. With every harsh grip he received, he gave one back, reassurance in the wiry tightness of his fingers, standing out in the lines of spare muscle beneath black Marks. He put his brow against the top of her head. Feeling his own hair, though it smelled like blood and skin and the faintest scent of feminine soap. "You're not alone..." Those words had always broken him. He did not expect the same this time, however.

She goes still, the waves of shudders no longer tearing through her of their own accord. The hold she has on him is steady, no more squeezing until he breathes those three words out to her. There's another tightening of her hold on his wrists but not for the same reasons even if she can't voice them. She feels like she can finally pull herself together. Like she can be calm and tell him the rest of the events that occurred or at least she can look at him without bursting into tears. There is one last exhale before she parts her lips, ready to thank him for staying collected when she could not, but instead comes another scream, this time in Cris' voice, pained and gut wrenching. She holds onto him tighter with fingernails digging into his skin relentlessly and doubles over, curling in on herself and sliding off the edge of the tub in the process. The distinct crackle of bone fills the air, the whisper of blue erupting from her scalp and the withering of pale skin. It's all joined by more cries of anguish which change midway through, higher and feminine, until it's finished and she's left panting heavily, in her God given form, shaking and covered in a new sheen of sweat.

Eyes close and he feels his own heart lurch in his chest. Something, clearly, must have happened to him to make him sound like that... But it was not him. This was not him. Only her, trapped in his body, a fate he wouldn't exactly wish on anyone. She leans forward and he can feel her crash into him. He shakes his head free of his own hair, locking his chin in the dip of her, his, shoulder. Fingertips bite deep enough into her arms to feel the bundle of muscle fibers hiding beneath her skin. When her scream changes voices at its apex an exhale of relief rushes through him. Hand cracks free of her wrist and he puts his arm around her back, gathering her to his chest, unwilling to open his mouth for what he knows he will hear. Shame and relief all mingled into one.

He holds her tightly to him and while part of her goes directly into panic mode that too much contact will make her shift again, a much larger part takes too much comfort in his hold to break away. "I don't want to do that again." The breathless words might sound like they're for him, he's the only one there, but they are an audible command for herself, her body, the Patron Saints of Shifting, whoever needs to hear her plea. "Never again, I don't want to do that again." Usually after a shift she is left euphoric, peaceful, a little extra bounce in her step. This time around it seems like it's drained every ounce of her. Too weak to even reach out and grasp him in return she simply buries her face against him.

Throughout it all, the thundering of the water had provided a storm of ambiance that he now shut off with a firm press of the hot water handle. Steam made the air thick and warm. His fingertips slide along the sweat beading her naked spine. With his chin on her shoulder and the silence now starting to descend, he sighs. "The Angel providing, you'll never have to..."

((Thank you to Crispin))

Lenore Reid

Date: 2014-01-19 22:43 EST
Wrapped up in him it's too easy to get lost. The press of him against her, his voice so close, the relief of his arms around her. She wriggles in a burst of protest but it doesn't last, she can't and doesn't want to fight finding contentment in him but too much and she worries it might prompt another shift. "My hand..." The words come forth when her movement stills. She realizes she's jumping too far ahead so she backtracks, words coming much more quickly than before to distract herself. She doesn't want to think about any of this either, but it's the lesser of two evils. "I told him to do it... to end it... be done with it...I didn't think I had a chance anyway so I wanted him to get it over with." Her voice lowers, gulping. "I didn't want to die crying and begging."

The heat of the bathroom hides the chill her words puts into his blood. His touch already damp with water and sweat, his unease hides like a wary animal. Pressed against her shoulder, however, she can feel the tightening of his jaw as he grits his teeth to restrain himself a moment before he'd calmed down. "What then...?" Keep moving forward: a mantra now for him as much as it was for her.

"He didn't like how easily I gave in. He..." She fades out, wondering if she really needs to share everything but it doesn't seem fair to omit details now. "He was going to wait for you, figuring you would put up more of a fight." Her hand slowly lifts and it takes just about everything she has to manage. Blood soaked, having been deep within Andrew's throat not long ago but now she trails fingers, her fingers, through Cris' hair assuringly in an effort to give him some comfort in return. "He teased about cats and their nine lives." An exhale that would have been a dry laugh any other time. "I realized... I didn't want him to take everything from me. I didn't want all of my years of surviving to be ruined by him. I did not want to go the easy route..." Brows furrow tightly, trying to remember exactly what happened next although that was falling into a blur, a loss of time. She knew what she found when she had her senses about her but getting to that point? She wasn't entirely sure. "I had an outburst."

He wishes that it did. By the Angel, he wishes that it did, but her touch instills within him a desperate need to pull away from her. He had done nothing to receive comfort, and he had not shown her that he needed it. Hand wanders up her arm until he finds her wrist and gently disentangles her hand from his hair. "And so..." adding to her story on his own to steer them where they were supposed to be, "...did you attack him?"

When he captures her wrist and pulls it away fingers curl in on themselves. Hurt has been taking up residence on her expression majority of the night so the change isn't easy to pick out and it's lost on him anyway with the way they're piled onto the floor. "My hand shifted. Only my hand, only part of it." The hand he was clutching as they spoke, fingers briefly unfurling and turning in on themselves again. "I don't know how. I didn't know it was possible. But they were claws... I didn't realize until... after I drove them into his throat. After he fell down."

He had not thought that possible either. He'd asked her some time ago, and she'd told him as much. For what it was worth, he did not let go of her hand, nor did he loosen the grip he had round her back. Eyes half mast, matte as a dirty stained glass window regard the closed door, beyond which lay two corpses that begged the question: What were they supposed to do with them now? He need not speak what they both already knew. She'd killed her cousin. "If you struck first...how is it that you became unconscious and bleeding?"

Her voice is still surprisingly calm despite being at the heart of the matter, everything that had happened before Cris walked in through the front door. Maybe she was accepting it. Maybe she had no more emotions to give right now. Maybe she was completely spent and she would be this cool and cold for a long while. Part of her hoped it would be true. It made everything easier to handle. "I watched him until the very end and while I stood there trying to decide what to do I got sick. I felt like I was shifting but... it wasn't the same. It was like when you were here. I was in so much pain, like nothing I've ever experienced before and..." Fingers wriggled. "This is his. Everything else is mine. I didn't have any sort of control and it hurt so bad. Then... nothing."

His own calm was nothing different from how he'd handled the situation save for the first few frantic moments. Still, he considers the door, his frown tightening on his mouth. Palm presses a bit more firmly against her shoulder. "I'm sorry... I know that you were hoping for reconciliation. I hoped for that for you as well."

Right when he says I'm sorry she begins shaking her head. The same way he gently rebelled her comfort she was trying to sit up under her own power, not forcefully shoving him away but attempting to disengage like it's not something she deserves any longer. Unfortunately, it was harder than she imagined. "It doesn't matter... it doesn't matter what I wanted or hoped for. Andrew is dead. He's dead. Because of me. I killed him. I killed someone." Her hand lifts, Andrew's spilled blood fully on display. "I just unleashed hell onto myself."

Her shakes upset the gentle lean he'd acquired against her shoulder and he draws back as far as he's able to look down at her in gentle confusion. "Unleashed it from whom? Who is it that you think will exact this punishment?"

"His parents knew he was here. Who knows how much he told the Shifters he was staying with about me. Maybe I got lucky and he was so disgusted by me that he didn't brag to anyone local about his darling cousin." Untangling herself from him she manages to straighten finally and press her back against the tub. The nearby fallen washrag is dipped into the cold leftover water behind her and not caring how much she splashes or what puddles she makes she brings it around to begin harshly scrubbing the dried blood off her hand.

She pulls against his embrace and he lets her break it, scooting back along the floor to set his spine to the sink. Allowing her distance to clean her skin. Knees propped up, Marked forearms balanced atop them, a scowl joins the dark frown on his mouth. "He's only met with you a handful of times. For all we know, he could have been lying about local Shifters. Clearly, he was lying about everything else. Yes?"

The blood had been there this long so it's hard to tell what suddenly made it not okay but it?s clear she?s no longer at peace having it cover her skin. More water, more scrubbing that left her skin pink and raw. "Only a handful of times and whatever it was he wanted me to prove to him I failed miserably." She pauses in her scrubbing long enough to lift her gaze up to him. "I take back everything I've said before. Family be damned. Maybe it works for some but I'm fine without the ties of blood." Not that she had many left that she knew of but that could go unspoken. Her ravenous scrubbing continues. "Do you really think that? That he might have been lying about it or are you only saying it to make me feel better?"

Puts his own hand through his hair and that is where it stays, scarred fingers curved and conformed to his skull. This time, from around his Marked wrist and from beneath half lidded eyes, he meets her gaze. "His real intentions became clear to you tonight. Any shortcomings you believe you have or any strife you feel you may have caused him is false. Now more than ever, you need not worry about pleasing...that," jerk of a side nod to indicate the bathroom door. Her latter queries give him pause. He seems to be readily weighing which of the two options he'd like to answer with but then he reaches forward to stop the scrubbing of her hands. "I think...that that will work better if you use hot water and soap and allow yourself further time to calm down."

That. She winces visibly at the word. It's a good thing that he leans forward to stop her mid-scrub because there's another spike in her emotions and she seems ready to remove her next layer of skin beneath the blood when he stops her. Instead her hands flop down into her lap, head tipping back and eyes closing. "I don't know what to do... about any of it. I don't know how I'm supposed to feel. Or what I'm supposed to think. Or how to act or..." She lifts her head and mirrors his side nod to the door, less weird now that she isn't the spitting image of him. "I don't know what to do about that."

He could tell her stories, but he does not think now is the time. Sliding his fingers between hers, taking up more of the washrag with each forward inch. "Whatever you decide, he will still be dead later. Focus on yourself...yes? You are alive, and he is not, and that is so because he chose to try and take your life from you. Guilt over his death has no place here. It was necessary. ...But before that," drawing his feet beneath him, he begins to stand. "I'm certain that once you're free of his blood, you'll be able to think a bit more clearly."

((Thank you to Crispin))

Lenore Reid

Date: 2014-01-19 22:59 EST
She clings to him while she can, fingers curling around his much more interested in feeling bone and scars in her grasp than the scratch of the washcloth. "It's not guilt..." Sadness? Maybe they're one in the same. She has far too many emotions brewing inside her to really be able to put labels on what she's feeling and it's with a shake of her head she dismisses the attempt. She watches him rise to his feet, the mention of Andrew's blood making her look down at the missed spots sprawling across her hands and along her arm amongst raw skin. Hazel eyes lift back up to his face, no judgement, just as lost as ever. Her tone is the same when she speaks, touched with gentle awe. "You've been able to think clearly this entire time. This is... I feel like I'm going to lose it any moment, I don't know how I'm not in a pile right now or scratching at the walls. But you... it's like you're cleaning up a broken teacup rather than the reality of it all." It's not even a question of how, only an observation which couldn't be contained.

As much as he seems ready to stand and depart, he lets her hold his hand for as long as she desires, remaining stooped over her smaller, half naked form until she lets him go. He meets her gaze, her awe, though he does not know whether it was a good or bad thing. It simply was, as was his ability to deal with it. Considering her face, and then the door not ten feet away from him, he speaks before his gaze returns to hers. "This is not the first corpse I've dealt with, nor the first bloody situation. I learned young how to compartmentalize. Now...I suppose it's second nature."

If she had her way she wouldn't release him at all but some part of her understands that she's only letting go of his hand, he'll still be in the small bathroom with her safe from all the problems waiting on the other side of the door. At least for a little while longer until she eventually has to face them. It's slow, one finger at a time when she lets him go then she's pushing herself up off the floor. Not to stand, but to perch on the edge of the tub similar to when they first entered. She takes in his answer, considers it while lowering her gaze to her barefeet that overlap and twist amongst themselves. "Right..." It isn't surprising considering who he is, what he is, what he's done in his life. She just never imagined she would be the one who needed to enlist his skills when it comes to staying level headed in the middle of such a messy situation. "Thank you... for being here, being calm, helping me." The words were mumbled down at her feet. She appears to be calm as well, but she doesn't entirely feel that way inside. Numb. The numbness is overtaking her again making her quiet and still.

Slow nod mirrors her single, spoken word. Right. That was the part of his life that she did not like him to focus on, that he pretended not to focus on, but here it was once more. He was using his skills, using his training, using his experiences to his advantage to try and keep her sane. And if anything helped him do that, it could not be all that useless. Though he can't simply leave her like this with a quipped word about bathing and his assurance that he would be in the other room. Once again he crouches down before her, reaching with his stained hands to take her elbows. "You need never have to tell me such things... Don't waste your faculties on that. I know you appreciate that I'm here, and I will go nowhere else until we've sorted this out." Smoothing his thumbs across her arms, sticky with water and drying blood. "You'll feel better, Lenore. I swear it."

It's the slightest shift in her posture, leaning towards him in response to his touch even if she doesn't return it. She manages a nod, feeling like the only way to reply to his promise to stay is to thank him again but leaving the words unspoken as instructed. The caress of his thumbs work at the edges of nothingness that has blanketed itself over her and she tries so hard to keep it in place, to hang onto the quiet just a little while longer because this high and lows of emotions is exhausting and draining what little energy she has left. But his assurance makes questions rise and they come with curled shoulders, eyes pressing together tightly to fight back another round of tears she didn't know she had left. This time her voice isn't so full of panic and overwhelmed, but gently dismayed. Defeated. "How? How am I ever going to feel better or how will anything be the same as before? I'm not even the same now. I'm not even entirely me." Either in reference to the bloody act that had taken place or the equally confusing shift that happened afterward, it's unclear.

She asks him a question that he doesn't have an answer to. Not one that would help her, at any rate. Only things that she does not exactly want to hear. "Whatever it was that happened to you, we will figure it out. But you must realize that this is what would have happened anyway. If not now, then down the line... It is better to have dealt with this now. You've not acquired anything that is outside your ability to handle, else you'd have not acquired it in the first place. Yes...?"

The promise they would figure out what happened to her is assuring though it only makes her wish that much harder it hadn't happened to her in the first place. She can't entirely agree with him that she's happier to have had it happen now than later. Why did it have to happen at all? Why did there have to be a change? Something sparks in the back of her mind, something he said in a previous conversation about how being different... being a Downworlder... it leaves her open to more than a mundane would ever have to deal with. On the other hand, she could handle much more than a mundane ever could. His latest statement echoes that although she can't bring herself to outright agree or disagree. "Maybe..." Sniffling she lifts her hand to wipe at her eyes and hopes that's her last round of tears. "I should take a bath." He threw out this idea ages ago but she confirms it now, agrees it's oddly the next logical step in the least logical situation. "You'll stay, right? In here?" An unsteady glance fired off to the bathroom door and it comes back to him just as fast. "I won't take long."

She announces her intentions and he withdraws his hands from her with a mute nod to her query, straightening only enough to take a seat on the nearby toilet. Marked forearms to knees, cold fingers with all their stains and scars folding in a net in the space between. There was nothing more for him to say and to offer her some sense of privacy, he turns his gaze to the bathroom door hiding the horror beyond. "Take as long as you need."

Lips tick downward when he removes himself from her. Obviously he had to but she wasn't mentally prepared to be sitting on her own, no contact between them even if he was only mere feet away. "If you tell me that... we're never going to leave the bathroom." Either a joke fallen short or a solemn promise, hard to tell. Her movements are mechanical, heavy and forced. Turning on the water, plugging the tub, stripping off her pants, and picking up the washcloth she was assaulting herself with earlier. She eases into the tub with her knees pressed to her chest, bones protruding from beneath white and red skin, a splash of blue matted with chunks of dry blood pouring over her. While waiting for the tub to fill around her she turns her head, cheek pressed to knee to look at him. "Do you think I look different?" It's silly, childish really. Maybe to him it would make no sense at all but she watches him intently. The question is absurd yet important to her.

He saw out the corner of his eye he watched her movements without paying extreme attention to the slide of fragile bone beneath bloody flesh. He waits, listens, keeping his thoughts from sinking too deep into methods of disposal. Gaze turns to her and confusion briefly shows itself in the wrinkle marring his brow. He trades another bad joke for hers. "No. Not anymore."

Unsurprised by the confusion but she doesn't back down from the question she asked or shy away from his look. She accepts the joke but latches more firmly onto the first part. No. What was she expecting anyway? She's not sure but something in his reply soothes her and she lifts her head to look down at the water brimming around her. More thoughtless movements, autopilot, the washcloth is dipped in the water and scrubbed across her skin. He's right, it's taking the blood off much easier than before and already staining the clear water around her a pale pink. She's content to lapse into silence. What else was there to discuss? Plenty. Mostly the dead bodies awaiting them in the other room. For now she would take it one step at a time. Step one, get dried blood out from beneath her nails.

It made sense that she was expecting to, but he did not ask. He said nothing further, in fact. Simply waited until she was done, until the drip of water silenced itself. As much as he wouldn't like them to, his thoughts returned to the two still waiting for them in the room beyond. That situation was still as real as he was sitting studious upon a toilet. Minutes pass, until he closes his eyes and dips his head.

((Thank you to Crispin))