Topic: 14.02.14 - Bittersweet

Lenore Reid

Date: 2014-03-01 02:18 EST
February 14th

It was one of those nights that he, surprisingly, made it down and upstairs in a timely manner. Undisturbed, unmolested, invisible. And with a tray heaped with supplies to cover the night's tea needs. Constance's gift saw plenty of use at these times. Balancing the tray on the inside of his forearm, he unlocked the door and stepped inside, his head inclined, gaze on his feet. His hand on the door eased away the yellow light from the hall until a soft click rendered them alone. "I'm back."

She would have looked surprised at his speedy supply run if her features weren't already too busy being contorted into an expression of slow burning worry. It's the same expression that she's worn majority of the day. Brows pinched together, lips turned down at the edges in a frown, golden eyes holding a lot more thoughts than what she's actually saying. "That was faster than I thought it would be." She gives him that much. It was easy to time him and how long he had been gone, down to the minute since she had his cellphone cupped in her palms in her lap, using it for the clock to count down the minutes. In the time he was gone she hadn't moved at all. She still sat cross legged right in the middle of the bed, wearing one of his shirts. She would say it's because it makes shifting easier, the extra fabric that doesn't cling to her, but it also brought her some additional comfort to have his scent of freshly burnt matches wrapped around her.

"There are times when I don't dawdle." Sometimes he did, caught up in the act of people watching. Though often, he felt like a spectator at a colosseum, looking down into a pit in which savagery and violence and primal tendencies governed all. Tray set to the desk, he'd put the witchlight stone in the window sill. The glass caught and reflected the light, throwing it back at him and he room. Like a miniature full moon, the very one they were waiting for. One teabag for each cup, he filled them both with the kettle of hot water he'd brought. Honey, vanilla, chamomile; all three scents mingle in the tense air. He figured she would need it. Bringing her her own cup, he sat beside her with his own.

"I appreciate it this time." Usually she didn't mind and time spent alone was easily filled with her own amusements or naps. Sometimes both. This time around the air in the room is thick and the silence is unbearable by herself. She tracks his movements through the room, the witchlight managing to make her eyes look like pale pooled honey. The moment the aroma of tea hit the air she inhales deeply and already the familiar scent of calm is relaxing the crease in her brows to some degree. "That's perfect." One hand takes the teacup he offers, the other hand lifts his phone to show off the time disapprovingly. "Ten minutes to." Tilting the phone this way and that like it were an hourglass and she could speed up or slow down the passing of time by such simple means. She can't. The clock says six forty-three and it is unchanging. She takes a sip of tea, glaring over the rim of her cup at the phone like it's a traitor.

Blinking when he's presented with his own phone, with each subsequent flip and turn and shake, there's a tightness in his chest that becomes unbearable to weather. Quickly smiling, chuckling even, he reached for her hand, for his phone, to gently take it from her grasp. "There's a mundane idiom: a watched pot never boils. Yes? Do not focus on it so much. Time will pass whether you're watching it or not."

She wasn't expecting a chuckle from him but more importantly she wasn't expecting the phone to be taken from her. There's a sound of protest, not exactly a growl or yowl but a very feline whine caught in her throat that persists even though she gives up the phone into his possession without much more of a fight than that. "I'm not worried about boiling pots. I'm waiting for the moon and I still can't feel it." Her pout is interrupted by a sip of tea and the cup lowers just enough so she can speak while still inhaling the calming blend of vanilla and honey. "You'll wish I had the time in front of me when the moon is in place. I could very quickly turn into a mess and I can't feel it coming since the moon abandoned me." She looks at him over the rim of her cup. "What if it's worse now? What if it's not even a normal shift into a cat? What if I begin puking blood again?" All of the possibilities seemed so much worse now that she didn't know what time it is.

As forced as his smile was, it became real very soon. He presses a button on the outside of his phone to darken the screen and he slides it protectively into his right boot. Its fit was snug, uncomfortable, but altogether better than the concern that she'd drop it. "The moon did not abandon you. In fact, I think there are actually two in the sky here. If one did, then certainly the other has not." Returning her look, but he had yet to take a sip from his own tea. "All of those things could be true, but they also could not be. Either way, you'll not have to deal with it all alone."

((Thank you to Crispin))

Lenore Reid

Date: 2014-03-01 02:19 EST
The dimming screen was like slamming the top shut on a box to solidify the contents were not for her. That of course makes it even more tempting and she watches the phone carefully while it's being tucked away. "The moon did abandon me. It's like it previously said, hey, things are going to happen but I'll be here for you and warn you. We'll work together. And now? Nothing. The moon has dumped me." She looks out the window at his mention of the other moon. "The other one isn't being any help either." Gaze returns to him and she actually has a small lift to one corner of her lips even if it is brief. "That does make it better, though I only wish this could have fallen on another night so the tale of our first Valentine's did not have to involve growling at the moon." Mumbles into her teacup. "Or blood vomit." She wouldn't give that worry up.

No matter how much she watched the phone, she was not getting it back. Still, he does not know what to tell her. As Nephilim, his body obviously was never under the sway of nature. It only had to obey him and at times even that was difficult. Chuckling, he takes the first careful sip of his tea, the flavor smooth on its way down. "Blood is at least red..." A bad joke for a bad joke. "Did this day mean a great deal to you?"

"Oh, you're right. At least we can keep things properly festive." The conversation helps to occupy some of her thoughts though she sends a distracted glance towards the window before looking at him thoughtfully. "Not entirely? The day does not change how I feel about you, I still care for you greatly as I always do. I would like to think I make that clear to you on a daily basis rather than proving it one day a year." Her teacup lowers, forearms resting against her knees and the cup is cradled in her palms. "But sometimes I enjoy the simple holidays, if only because I have not before, not entirely, and I like the experience." Her shrug is as sheepish as her look and the golden discs of her eyes lower to look at her remaining tea. "I suppose I should have asked your opinion of the holiday sooner to see how you feel about it so for that I apologize."

He'd meant it as a broad question, so her broad answer fit well. So does the gentle curve of his smile, even if it's on the corner of his mouth that doesn't face her. "No. I wouldn't expect it to." Shaking his head, he turns his own teacup in his palms. "We Nephilim do not celebrate many holidays, but when I moved to New York, I began to. Valentines Day..." pensive half tilt of his head. "I've celebrated it. But that does not mean I'd not like to with you. Simply that I've no preconceptions about what this holiday means. So whatever happens, blood even, Angel forbidding, I'll not think anything ill of it."

"Ah, yes, the Nephilim rule against fun and an overall good time especially in conjunction with holidays. I remember seeing that in the codex." It's the pot calling the kettle black since she hasn't celebrated holidays on her own but it seems easier to celebrate around a bunch of Shadowhunters compared to celebrating with cats, birds, or squirrels. She knows the hypocrisy of it and manages another weak smile though it fades at his mention of celebrating Valentine's Day. It takes little to guess who that would have been with and she did not want to make him walk down that memory lane. "I really don't know what to expect of it either," Focusing on that train of thought instead. "We'll have a good time no matter what thanks to our low standards." She holds her hand out towards him. "May I please have your phone back? It has to be close now and I really don't want to be taken by surprise. Please?"

A laugh comes suddenly. Sharp and quick, like a clap. "No." But he does not see fit to explain. Nor does he want to explain what the past seven Valentines Days have meant to him. Five really. Maybe four and a half. He knew, at least, that there was an absurd level of champagne involved at times. The only thing he feels he can respond to is her request to see his phone and with a great, heaving sigh, he pries the device from his boot and illuminates the screen. But he does not hand it to her. He holds it so that she can see. The lock screen depicts a summer sky with stars glittering like handfuls of glitter. The occasional meteor streaks by, leaving a trail in its wake. Amidst all that nature, there was a massive digital clock that read the time. "Here." Smiles.

His laugh brings her more than enough satisfaction and the subject of Valentine's Day is forgotten when he goes digging around in his boot. "You should have allowed me to keep holding it." She takes the heaving sigh as irritation towards having to dig around for the phone rather than irritation at her request he had denied earlier being repeated. She reaches for the phone but realizes he's not going to give it up with the way he presents it to her instead. It's her turn to heave a sigh but after a good natured eyeroll her attention moves to the screen. There's a sharp intake of air and she leans forward, tea sloshing into her lap is thankfully room temp even though it still makes her curse beneath her breath as distracted as it is. "Damn it." Straightening her teacup and wiping at his shirt that caught most of the spillage, her eyes remain on the phone. "Your phone has to be wrong. The moon will hit its phase at six fifty-three." According to his phone their chattering had passed the time to two minutes after seven.

((Thank you to Crispin))

Lenore Reid

Date: 2014-03-01 02:22 EST
Rarely did he see this much excitement over a phone. He's certain that she's seen one before---and of course it's over the time and not the phone, but watching her splash tea in her because he showed it to her seemed coincidental. For a moment. "Really..." This time he looks at his phone, and then the window. Setting his tea down, he heads the pace and a half to it and draws back the threadbare curtains that hardly kept any of the night sky hidden. The witchlight beneath his chin sharpens the line of his collarbones, the leanness of cheekbones and the pale, now silver, color of his eyes. Leaning close, when he speaks, his breath fogs the cold glass. "Well... There they are." Turning to her. "You feel nothing?"

"Really." There's something frustrated in the word but it's not directed at him. She's back to wiping at the wet spot in her lap now that he's looking at the phone and she assumes he's trying to figure out how the time got thrown off. It's only when he speaks, announces the presence of not just one moon but both of them, that she's throwing herself off the bed and setting her teacup down on the desk with a clank. "They can't be." Bypassing his question for now and even trying to slide by him, she's squeezing herself in the small space between him and the window until she can press her nose and fingertips to the glass and stare out into the sky. Sure enough, there were the moons and she falls silent not moving from her childish pose.

She's warm against his stomach, warm as she always is, and with her there between him and a two story drop, he puts his chin against the top of her head. An open palm finds its way down her side, counting each rib with his fingertips until he reaches her hip. Inclining his head to leave a kiss where his chin had been. "This is not necessarily a bad thing..." gently.

She can feel him, his gentle lean over her and the trail of his fingers along her side. It's comforting and she needs that as just another thing she has been so sure majority of her life changes on her. It's shortly after his kiss that her head tips forward, her forehead pressing to the cool glass of the window. It feels good in contrast to the burn of her skin, natural heat paired with a flush of emotion pulsing just beneath her flesh. "I'm no longer tied to the moon."

((Thank you to Crispin))